Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fletch

Real Name Fletch   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fletch
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 01:48
Total Comments 566 (Apprentice)
User ID 10520

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief in February
24. Re: Thief in February Aug 16, 2013, 15:28 Fletch

John wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 14:53:
They didn't remove it completely.. It will just be limited so that you can only jump when there's something to jump to so you don't fall off of a building.

They replaced it with an "action" button when the jump cue appears.

IOW, they removed jump.

Funny... I've never had a problem with falling off buildings in any of the other FPSs I've played. I mean, I've fallen off buildings and died before, but successful negotiation of perilous places was part of the gameplay, and made the game more enjoyable. In many FPS games, crouching or sneaking as you approach a ledge prevents you from falling. The only reasons I can think of to remove jumping is to limit console player frustration with a checkpoint save system by addressing the limited functionality/precision of a gamepad, or to artificially cover for some pretty shitty/lazy level design.

Fucking taffers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer
4. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 14:50 Fletch

QTE-fest, and the gamepad control is a bad omen for us bitter PC gamers looking for a good PC FPS with little hand-holding. Still, I'm curious how the parkour shit works. Do you simply approach something to jump over or climb on, and the game does all the work? Or is there an "action" button of some kind? Also, this dude gets bit several times. Just how do zombies become zombies?  

News Comments > Saturday Previews
2. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 10, 2013, 15:37 Fletch

I guess "modernise" = "consolize".

“We won’t be able to make everybody happy,” says Daniel. “That’s just reality. If we make this guy happy, then this guy is going to be pissed off, and vice versa."

You'd make everybody happy who played the first two games. It's the gameplay, stupid. Quit trying to bullshit everyone and admit what we already know. Concessions to gameplay were made for the lowest common denominator... consoles. Thief was DEFINED by it's gameplay. Fucking with it, and then referencing some fabricated conflict in interviews to justify fucking with it, is nothing but PR spin. Absolutely amazing to claim some of the changes were made in the name of "immersion", because we all know nothing immerses a player more than bullet-time, pathways on rails, QTEs, forced third-person, jump prompts, and one-button combos (swoop).

Yet another great PC game franchise bites the dust.

News Comments > Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details
10. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 16:28 Fletch

Why would I want to play a game made entirely of vowels?  

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo
26. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Demo Aug 1, 2013, 20:28 Fletch

QTE-fest. Looks boring as fuck. Console players should find it amazing.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad
32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Aug 1, 2013, 11:18 Fletch

Framerate issues, checkpoint saves, and only one game can be saved at a time. If you start a new game with a different character, it overwrites your other save. That's some consolized bullshit right there. It's also easy to get stuck (happened to me three times on the first map), and you have to load the most recent checkpoint, or start over. I've heard that cycling weapons sometimes unsticks you, but I couldn't move no matter what I tried (crouching, jumping, rocket jump, cycling weapons...).

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2013, 20:29.

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Trailer
11. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Trailer Jul 17, 2013, 18:48 Fletch

Conveniently-located waist-high cover everywhere, rotary menus, third-person... consolitious. And not X-Com. Pass.  

News Comments > Epic Working on AAA Shooter
34. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 18:32 Fletch

AAA PC shooter, or AAA console shooter? Big difference.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
31. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 29, 2013, 10:33 Fletch

kanniballl wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 09:17:
Some people need to grow up; using a gamepad on the PC is nothing new and nothing bad.

Says you. I play PC games, and I'm sick of the endless number of ridiculously easy, arcadey, dumbed-down, potential-unrealized, SHIT console ports with shallow gameplay and limited controls tailored to the least common denominator of a motherfucking gamepad, yet filled with all the things that make console players jizz, like cool graphics, WDIDN arrows, aim-assistance, and waste-high crates. I think a developer specifically promoting his new game as a PC game, and who attempts to tick the nostalgia and "Halo-was-an-XBox-exclusive" latent rage boxes of 40-somethings who long for the old days of deep PC sims by playing up some "not-a-console-game" narrative ("They said console was the future ... I am a PC game"), and then uses an Xbox controller in the dev video, is a TWAT.

You may not agree.

I truly hope this is a great PC game, and not just a game you can play on your PC. I'll definitely buy it if the letsplays and reviews make me happy. I hope it's not just a $20million, extremely pretty, socially-oriented Descent.

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
7. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 28, 2013, 21:46 Fletch

I really didn't know anything about the game til just now when I watched the "About The Game" video. Pretty awesome-looking, and I was very happy to see it is a PC game, and that they are using that fact to promote it. Then I got to 5:25 of the video...

Fuck you, Chris Roberts.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
1. Re: Saturday Previews Jun 22, 2013, 16:38 Fletch

Not X-Com.  

News Comments > Orc Attack Gets Flatulent
3. Re: Orc Attack Gets Flatulent May 18, 2013, 07:05 Fletch

It's amazing this even got made when you consider the number of people who had to sign on to the concept. I got tired of it before the trailer even finished. Unless the developers ride the short bus to work every day, it must have been tortuous to work on.  

News Comments > On The XCOM Shooter's Evolution
6. Re: On The XCOM Shooter's Evolution May 11, 2013, 20:49 Fletch

mag wrote on May 11, 2013, 20:30:
Bwuh?
I get that look a lot.

News Comments > On The XCOM Shooter's Evolution
2. Re: On The XCOM Shooter's Evolution May 11, 2013, 17:38 Fletch

Third-person... {sigh}.

Does every fucking new game HAVE to get consolized into this shit perspective/genre? And whatever the reasons or rationalizations used by these fucktards to justify turning a FPS into yet another cookie-cutter, cover-systemized, immersion-destroying, controller-limited, over-the-shoulder "action" game for luddites doesn't explain the fact that a FPS X-Com game was completely uninteresting in the first place. As a third-person, it's just console kiddie pablum unworthy of a second glance, even at bargain bin/holiday sale prices.

But hey... some of you Baby Dunce Bucktooth Drool2 Hole might like it.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced
43. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 23:19 Fletch

Hmmm... when developers "reimagine" FPS's, it usually means "consolized". Can't be worse than the last one, I guess.  

News Comments > EA Financials
6. Re: EA Financials May 7, 2013, 22:52 Fletch

Dev wrote on May 7, 2013, 22:31:
We know the simcity sales now. 1.6 million. Pretty big seller for a PC game. Not huge, but big.
I wonder how much better sales would have been without the crappy launch and some (immho) pretty awful design decisions (for what has always been a single-player PC game).

News Comments > Magrunner Dark Pulse Trailer
1. Re: Magrunner Dark Pulse Trailer May 3, 2013, 18:00 Fletch

Yeah, Portalish clone, but it looks like it might be fun, as long as the QTEs are kept to a minimum and the player is actually allowed to play. Portal moved the story along much more subtly and less invasively than most new consolized crap nowadays. FPS is a check in the mandatory column for a me with a game of this type.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Star Trek: The Video Game
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Star Trek: The Video Game Apr 23, 2013, 22:58 Fletch

Another interactive movie for consoles with a minute or two of third-person, cover system, hide-and-heal gameplay thrown in now and then. Pass.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - God Mode
6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - God Mode Apr 20, 2013, 14:46 Fletch

Ironic that a consolized, third-person shooter is made by a company called "Old School Games". No buy. Not even interested.  

News Comments > Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within
30. Re: Bethesda Unveils The Evil Within Apr 19, 2013, 13:03 Fletch

Probably third-person, probably consolized as all hell and full of QTEs. We'll see, but I ain't getting my hopes up for a good PC game. I never do nowadays. Teasers don't do shit for me. I want to see gameplay and the UI.  

566 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo