Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fletch

Real Name Fletch   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fletch
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 01:48
Total Comments 544 (Apprentice)
User ID 10520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
39. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 06:08 Fletch

NKD wrote on Oct 14, 2013, 02:37:
Why are we arguing about piracy? I mean jesus christ piracy is the #1 selling point of PC gaming, whether it be emulation or native titles, and it always has been. No one cares.
Well... speak for yourself. What a dumb statement. I counter it with "braindead, button-mashing gameplay is the #1 selling point of console gaming".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Console Emulation Through Steam
34. Re: Console Emulation Through Steam Oct 14, 2013, 00:22 Fletch

Kosumo wrote on Oct 13, 2013, 23:39:
The agurement of 'not making it availabe so I can just take it' is total bullshit.

I don't think people are claiming any form of entitlement to d/l roms because they aren't available. They're just saying they're d/ling them because they aren't available. And maybe they would pay for them if they were available. Maybe they wouldn't. Anyhoo, it's not like grabbing a non-available rom results in a lost sale (which is a favorite, although complete bullshit, PC anti-piracy claim).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: hot pockets video... Oct 13, 2013, 23:42 Fletch

Omg... CGI steam.

Haha! Snoop is the master baker.

News Comments > Steam Controller Demonstration Video
2. Re: Steam Controller Demonstration Video Oct 11, 2013, 15:39 Fletch

Gamepad and trackpad in one. Still inferior to kb/m, imnsho. However, if PC games can be developed for this controller without compromising traditional PC game controls/interface/customizability at all... it's all good.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 11, 2013, 03:15 Fletch

"It’s simply impossible to listen to everybody out there, so the guys working on Thief have really learned to trust their feelings behind their decisions. Nothing would get done otherwise. If we decided to backpedal and add in “taffer” because a bunch of people wanted it, we’d get another complaint the next day from someone else saying, “Why stay stuck in the past?”"

IOW... "We didn't listen to a fucking thing PC gamers told us. We don't want them to buy this game."

Ok, I won't.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: "I don't think it will be console exclusive very long" Oct 8, 2013, 22:11 Fletch

It will be in my house, and I don't own a console.  

News Comments > Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preorders
14. Re: Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preorders Oct 3, 2013, 19:54 Fletch

AKA, Baldur's Gate II: Tiny Guys Edition  

News Comments > Half-Life 3 TMed
6. Re: Half-Life 3 TMed Oct 1, 2013, 22:13 Fletch

Yeah, it'll probably be linked to SteamOS somehow, or maybe bundled with the controller or something. Hope it doesn't effect the regular PC version. Not holding my breath, though.  

News Comments > Blizzard TMs Heroes of the Storm
4. Re: Blizzard TMs Heroes of the Storm Sep 30, 2013, 15:32 Fletch

I hope they have a RMAH.  

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Sep 30, 2013, 15:08 Fletch

QTEs in PC games are an infection from console games. I don't recall seeing QTEs in PC games until console games became a primary platform in multi-platform development. I try to avoid games that have them, and the QTEs I have run into are jarring and make no sense. It's like playing Dragon's Lair. It's lazy, gamepad-oriented game design, and it's irritating to see in a PC game.  

News Comments > Shadow of the Eternals "On Hold"
30. Re: Shadow of the Eternals Sep 30, 2013, 04:57 Fletch

Guess we got a little OT here. Argue  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2013, 04:43 Fletch

mag wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 04:05:
For what it's worth, the first Metro is one of my favorite games in the past few years. The first hour is kind of crappy, and the shooting mechanics suck until you get a decent gun, but I really dug it by the end. I don't recall any QTEs...

Hmmm, I have it on Steam. Maybe I'll give it another shot then. No QTEs? I may be confusing it with something else, but I do remember the action, at least in the beginning, was pretty sparse, and I lost interest pretty quickly.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2013, 04:31 Fletch

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 01:43:
mag wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 23:59:
NOLF had great style, but gameplay was repetitive. SS2 and Deus Ex were RPGs, not shooters. SS2 is still a great play (esp modded), but Deus Ex has not aged well. Thief games were fun, but I'd not call them shooters, and the hiding mechanic would drive people crazy today. Even back then it was an issue. I'd forgotten about Jedi Knight, those were great games. Max Payne? I'd take the modern one over the original in a heartbeat. Heretic, Hexen, SHOGO, all were fun for the time, but would be simplistic and repetitive today. I mentioned HL...

SS2, Deus Ex, Thief don't become non-FPS shooters just because you declare it. You think the older games are too simplistic, yet you hold up Bioshock Infinite and Blood Dragon as examples of superior games? Huh?!? SS2 and Deus Ex are hybrids, but FPSs first and foremost. Strange that you would claim otherwise after offering up Dishonored as an example in the FPS category. I think your reasoning is being waylaid by pretty graphics.

Deus Ex, Doom, DoomII, SS2, Quake, the Jedi Knight games, Thief 1 and 2... all games I have reinstalled many times over the years and had just as much fun playing them as the last time. I can't think of a single` FPS in the last 5-10 years that I've even had an inkling to play again (except Bioshock; that was a fun game).

The hiding mechanic of Thief games was an issue?!?! WTF are you talking about? It was the best part of the game, and what made Thief Thief. Deus Ex has not aged well? WTF again? It's a 13 year-old game! Of course it doesn't look the same as today's games, but it's still more fun to play than most of the pretty crapola being released nowadays. But go ahead, spend your money on the new shit. I'll spend mine at GoG.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2013, 03:45 Fletch

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 01:12:
Sorry but out of that list only Deus EX and Thief stand out. Note that I said MINUS gameplay. Many old games do have better gameplay aspects (but not all). System shock 2 was over-rated. Jedi knight? Are you fucking serious? Max Payne (I forget whether it was 1 or 2) but only one of the paynes was really good. Shogo had decent gameplay but over-all it was shit compared to what it set out to be. Almost any modern FPS SP campaign, esp just released shadow warrior is miles above shogo's SP campaign.

Well, yeah, if you throw out the only thing that really matters in a PC game, gameplay, I guess you could include just about any POS title to your claim. What a stupid thing to say... "MINUS gameplay". That's like saying Osama Bin Laden is a really terrific person, MINUS the murdering and terrorism. System Shock was over-rated? LOL! Ok, I can dismiss anything you say from now on out of hand as trollspeak.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2013, 04:47.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2013, 03:30 Fletch

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 23:44:
I'm sure you'll provide examples of how classic single player FPS games from ten years ago are superior to the likes of Bioshock Infinite, FC3: Blood Dragon, Metro: Last Light, or Dishonored. You can't really, with the possible exception of the original Half Life and maybe Duke Nukem 3D. The modern ones are simply superior, both in gameplay and presentation. So why are you laughing?

Mag's list is a damn good start. I'd add Aliens vs. Predator, the Serious Sams, Unreal, the Unreal Tournaments, Far Cry (almost 10 years old), Descent, Descent II, Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Rainbow Six, Doom, Doom II, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, Call of Duty, Operation Flashpoint, Rise of the Triad, Undying, etc, etc, etc...

I'll give you modern games are superior in graphics, but graphics don't make a better game. Personally, I really don't give a rat's ass about graphics. Gameplay is everything, and there simply aren't many PC games today that stack up to the gameplay and FUN of the older games. Multi-platform development has resulted in new FPSs that are nothing but heaps of consolized shit. Bioshock was fun, but Bioshock Infinite was made for the console kiddies. Extremely boring. The first Metro bored the shit out of me. Horrible shooter with what seemed like 5 minutes of QTEs and walking around looking for ammo for every 30 seconds of restricted corridor shooter gameplay. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but if it didn't interest me in an hour... not my fault. Modern FPSs are developed for consoles first, and that has had a pretty negative effect on the gameplay. You want to spend $60 so you can ooh and aah over pretty graphics, go ahead. I'll reinstall Doom II again and actually have some fun.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2013, 02:12 Fletch

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 18:36:
It's remarkable someone just remade shadow warrior when I totally skipped the original and others from that era like blood.

Well, well, well... I didn't realize you were the guy all those games were being made for. Looks like someone dropped the ball and they went ahead and made a new Shadow Warrior without bouncing it off you first.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2013, 21:12 Fletch

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 18:36:
For instance modern FPS have better (overall) single player minus aspects of gameplay than almost any classic game (because of modern hollywood techniques and improved aesthetics and lessons learned over 20 years of making shooters).

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Clueless...

News Comments > Master Thief Announced
16. Re: Master Thief Announced Sep 29, 2013, 05:53 Fletch

Jerykk wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 19:31:
As long as the designers make sure that you can always get where you want to go via contextual actions, the lack of jumping won't be a gamebreaker.
If they allow you to jump whenever you need to jump, then why remove it all? Will I be constantly walking up to places, testing whether I can jump or not? "Can I jump here? Nope. Can I jump here? Nope. How about on top of this crate thats under a window of the building I'm trying to sneak into? Nope. Hmmm... I wonder WTF the developers intended for me to do here". Limiting where you can jump effectively makes this a corridor/rail shooter. We're only allowed to go where the designers want us to go. Exploration and finding multiple paths to exploit was part of the fun of the first two games (and an essential component of the gameplay) . This hand-holding and funneling the player through the map by limiting one of the most basic PC FPS and TPS game tenets is either console shit or shit map design (or both).

Then again, it's possible the developers aren't really designing for a console controller, rather, they are designing for the millions of ADD-addled console dipshits taffers who will gladly pay to play this crap. You almost have to make it a rail shooter so they don't get lost. Not to worry though, console players. I'm sure there will be big yellow arrows pointing the way through the maps, and glowing items that are pickupable. Low on health? Again, don't sweat it. Just duck behind a crate for a few seconds while you magically regenerate.

Needless to say, I'm not interested in this one (any more). MajorD's comment kind of Deus Ex'd me to reinstall the first one, although I think I'll wait for the HD textures to be released in December. They're pretty.

Edit: Btw, lol at Nameless One's comment. I guess the rest of the game would be kind of anti-climatic, wouldn't it.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2013, 06:14.

News Comments > New Frictional Game Tease
3. Re: New Frictional Game Tease Sep 29, 2013, 04:24 Fletch

Xil wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 00:53:
I am thinking systemshock right away Although I know it was not so high on horror but still !
SS scared the shit out of me, so I'd call it horror.

I know they didn't actually develop AMFP, but I'll be checking out reviews and LPs before I buy another game with their name on it. TDD was great, but I thought AMFP was terrible.

News Comments > Steam Controller Announced
46. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 28, 2013, 02:50 Fletch

Fuck you, Valve. What's next? Making HL3 a Steambox exclusive? I guess if it ever comes out, I won't want it, as it will just be another consolized pile of shit. This is good for Valve, but bad for PC gamers. Just another damn console with limited controls that will encourage developers to keep their games simplistic and boring, and much less likely to develop for kb/mouse.
"Rest assured, we won’t abandon you. We love mice and keyboards, too."
As far as I'm concerned, they already did. I'm not concerned about Valve. I'm concerned about all the other developers having even less incentive to develop for kb/m, and all the subsequent features of a PC game that naturally follows (UI, depth of gameplay, no over-the-shoulder pespective and cover system bullshit, etc).

544 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo