Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fletch

Real Name Fletch   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fletch
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 01:48
Total Comments 582 (Apprentice)
User ID 10520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur
13. Re: Quoteworthy - Curt Schilling on Amalur Nov 27, 2013, 03:05 Fletch

"2 years later and still no ones done what we were doing"

He just answered several of his own questions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
75. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 14:01 Fletch

Creston wrote on Nov 23, 2013, 11:07:
...and despite what that dipshit Willits claims, their next engines simply aren't going to be anywhere near as good.)
Willit's entire statement seemed a little "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" to me.

And +1 to what Primalchrome said (64). So many of my favorite games were built with engines Carmack created. His influence on PC gaming cannot be overstated. You can't blame him for the dreck id has squeezed out since D3, gameplay-wise. He's not a game designer.

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
49. u Nov 23, 2013, 02:48 Fletch

MonkeySpank wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 21:24:
I always felt that John made great technology for a very average game company. Imagine if John worked for Valve or Blizzard 15 years ago, the world would have been a better place.

You must be joking. Wolfenstein, Doom, Doom2, Quake... ever heard of them? Four of the greatest FPSs ever made. Hell, the GoldSrc engine used to make Half-Life was a modified Quake engine. While id has made some pretty uninteresting, unimaginative crap in the last decade, they were gods in the 90s. I still play Doom, Doom2, and Quake on occasion, and they are still fun as hell.

News Comments > Pandora: First Contact Trailer
6. Re: Pandora: First Contact Trailer Nov 22, 2013, 00:40 Fletch

I have it. I love it.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 22, 2013, 00:15 Fletch

I've been using Winamp forever. Sad to see it go, and even sadder to see it go to Microsoft. Is it possible to consolize an MP3 player?  

News Comments > RAGE Free Weekend
14. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 22, 2013, 00:11 Fletch

People still play RAGE?  

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
73. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 00:15 Fletch

NKD wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 23:15:
I'm sure he didn't mean to walk on your lawn.

HUMBUG!

64. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 20:13 Fletch

Nucas wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 18:35:
that's because much of the vocal "fan base" is a bunch arrogant motards like you, mouthing off about what is and isn't valid use of the ip and self-importantly vomiting out commentary. you wish you were still playing games on your sega genesis, we get it - the rest of the world has moved on and embraced new ways of building worlds and telling stories.
I have never played consoles, and the only "new way" I see of "building worlds and telling stories" is ass-backwards from where it was headed before consoles and their braindead minions began exerting their will on gaming and game development. It's a hand-holding, "press button, win game" mentality instilled in you ADD-addled Luddites when your mommies plopped you down in front of TVs and threw controllers in your hands rather than bother interacting with you on a human level. When you brats got older, you squalled for the latest, greatest console, and mommy relented and bought it for you because, hey, it always shut you up before. The internet reinforced the errors in your asocial programming and instilled not only a desire to be a douche to countless, faceless voices during Halo, but also the ability to peck out the most inept flames to countless, voiceless nyms without even the smallest urge to screen said "insults" for laughability, much less, punctuation, before sending it out into the ether. Their effectiveness on your peers betrays just how many vapid, soulless, nitwits share your psychosis, but to those of us approaching half a century on this earth, who have been playing PC games since the TRS-80, who actually knew our parents... you're going to have to try harder than that.

You are why Thief for PC is gonna suck.

62. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 19:10 Fletch

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 17:13:
I get a lot of that. The asshole part, not so much...
Then you haven't been following the development of this game very closely and the blatant insulting of fans of the series who have been vocal with feedback.
But I'll let the sales #'s for Fallout 3 speak for itself, I don't need to as well as the anticipation of Fallout 4.
I didn't dig the game. Sales numbers don't make me dig it. Was Diablo3 a great game, too? I'll let the sales numbers speak for themselves, ok?
Thief games play is slow paced, multi-path, hide, stealth over force, get the objectives and watch the plot move forward. That is Thief.
Ok...
I'm not sure that the new Thief isn't going to have all those qualities, I assume it most definitely will. I know it will have a more open world part of it, which I look forward to, because that is moving the franchise forward.
Open world? This is going to be Thief On Rails, full of waste-high crates and walls. Then there's the whole no jumping thing...
Even if there was a QTE say after a mission is done (99% of game play was classic Thief) and it finished off a chapter and then a cinematic with QTE's kicked in, that isn't sacrificing Thief core game play at all imo. It actually could enhance the overall experience if done right.
I disagree, but maybe you can sway me by giving me an example of one situation when it could possibly enhance the overall experience.
But my main point is.. why don't we just wait and see how this turns out? What if it was good? We are harming it now, a franchise most of us love and for what? To be angry gamer guy?
Harming it? How, exactly? I'm not going to buy it. Is that what you mean? Or are we harming it with a little insignificant bad publicity from a few disgruntled, jaded PC gamers ripping it on Bluesnews?
Perhaps they went down a few bad paths, seems like they are stripping those things out for you and others. But I bet most of the new things are well intended and perhaps many of them will make the world much more alive vs playing a map. We'll see. Thief imo wasn't at a point it couldn't be improved.
I don't share the same optimistic view as you, that the developers are well-intentioned towards the PC gamer community, or that they even give a rat's ass what they think. Removing QTEs was nothing but PR machination. And judging by the fanboy comments in their forums, it sold a few more PC versions. Doesn't change that this is a console port.

58. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 18:23 Fletch

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 17:22:
So in your opinion it would have been better had Bethesda never made Fallout 3? Leaving Fallout dead and buried with FO and FO2? And never giving Obsidian the chance to make FO:NV?

What about Deus Ex? Should Deus Ex have died with the execrable Invisible War, rather than giving us the rather excellent Human Revolution?

There are good IPs that are being ruined by horseshit publishers. Syndicate comes to mind rather starkly. But it doesn't happen to all of them. I'd rather someone take a chance at resurrecting a dead IP and giving us the chance of a good game coming out of it as opposed to it just staying dead and buried.

-No, but I wouldn't have cared if they hadn't, and would have much-preferred it be more like FO2.
-No, but who said it was "dead and buried", and wouldn't have been picked up by a different developer with more "classic" gameplay and interface intentions?
-I never played NV. I hear a lot of people liked it, but when I get a hankering to play a Fallout game, I still install Fallout2. NV isn't Fallout to me, whether I would dig it or not.
-Deus Ex? IW sucked. I said so then. HR was great. Who said anything about wishing IPs would die? I am saying exactly the opposite. I'm not bitching that Thief4 is being made. I'm bitching that it is going to suck as a PC game.

I want Thief4 to be a great game. Are YOU saying it's OK for developers to make shit PC games? That you'll just hope the next one is better? I'm speaking up. Unfortunately, Eidos has completely ignored the Thief fan base, and anything they have to say about the game and where it's going, even dissing them in interviews. Fuck 'em. We want a good Thief PC game. This game is going to be ass. Play if you want.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Pandora: First Contact
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Pandora: First Contact Nov 15, 2013, 17:21 Fletch

I saw the JaguarUSF review earlier (YT subscriber ) and bought it. Looks like my kinda game. It's only a 416Mb d/l. I'll install and play it later this afternoon.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Deadfall Adventures
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Deadfall Adventures Nov 15, 2013, 17:00 Fletch

Didn't bother to go past the birth date requirement on the game's site, which... probably would have taken less time than posting this here.  

45. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 16:43 Fletch

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 11:16:
...Fallout 3 forward is well loved.

Loved Fallout and Fallout2. Never got into Fallout3. Everything else you said... speak for yourself.

I, like a number of people here, am tired of great PC IPs being ruined by console-centric developers. I'm not giving any developers, including these condescending assholes, a pass any more. Make a good PC game, and I'll buy it. Make what they are making, and I won't.

You can wait and see if you like. I've seen and read enough, and it's no different than what other developers of their ilk have said/justified/rationalized/regurgitated to the PC gamer community before releasing yet more consolized dreck. Thief was defined by it's gameplay and, less so, the main character's story. Change it, and it becomes something different to those of us who loved the originals. It's just not a Thief game any more, imnsho.

I WANT to buy/play good PC games. I WANT to buy/play a good Thief game. But this release, afaic, either destroys the IP entirely for PCs, or it greatly delays getting a good Thief game from a more competent and PC-centric developer down the road.

EDIT: @Clever Caviar: We do know better.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage
24. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage Nov 14, 2013, 19:24 Fletch

Oh, FFS... another one I can cross off my list.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
19. Re: Sunday Interviews Nov 11, 2013, 19:05 Fletch

Alamar wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 14:04:
Your entire argument doesn't show that D3 loot was designed around the AH though... All it says is, console versions have more (and I'll assume, better) stuff drop.

I'm not claiming it isn't, just that your argument has no proof... There were many loot complaints, irregardless of the AH involvement, and they made it less grindy.

It's pretty obvious, afaic, and circumstantial is good enough for me. But who am I? I can't imagine what would constitute "proof" to you. AH was a revenue stream, easily tweaked with shitty drops. I can't tell if you are just being a devil's advocate, or naive.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Fractal Arc Midi R2 Midtower Case Nov 10, 2013, 22:05 Fletch

Just built a new computer with this case. It's sweet. Lots of room behind the motherboard tray for routing cables for a really clean look. I've got eight drives in it and it weighs a ton, but it's roomy and easy to work in. Two 5870s in Crossfire (yeah, 5870s!). I had a new 5870 (bought dirt cheap) sitting on a shelf for 3 years I was planning on CF'ing with the one in my game machine, but I never ran into anything I couldn't run well with just the single card, so I never got around to it. I guess all the developing of PC games with consoles as lead platform kinda slowed down the need to upgrade every year.

Anyhoo, awesome case.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
7. Re: Sunday Interviews Nov 10, 2013, 19:50 Fletch

GL1zdA wrote on Nov 10, 2013, 17:45:
I don't get why people want offline mode in Diablo 3 - a game where you know the story after 10 hours and after that you only look for loot so your character can be more leet than others and you play with others to socialize. Diablo single player is like drinking alone, it's the last step before the border between being a nerd and a lunatic.
You want to socialize. I don't (or, at least, be forced to). I want to play single player offline with savegames on my computer. If I want to go online to play with friends, feel free to store my saves and characters online to keep everyone honest (like D2). Why the hell didn't they just make it like D2 in the first place? Damn, I'm hankering to install D2 again right now.

News Comments > Evening Previews
4. Re: Evening Previews Nov 9, 2013, 10:56 Fletch

Great. Now allow me to play single-player without being online (just like D2).  

News Comments > Grim Dawn Early Access
1. Re: Grim Dawn Early Access Nov 6, 2013, 20:27 Fletch

I'm in. Been looking forward to this.  

News Comments > Blizzard Offers Free Blackthorne
5. Re: Blizzard Offers Free Blackthorne Nov 2, 2013, 00:20 Fletch

How many floppies will I need?  

582 Comments. 30 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo