Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fletch

Real Name Fletch   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fletch
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 01:48
Total Comments 527 (Apprentice)
User ID 10520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Master Thief Announced
16. Re: Master Thief Announced Sep 29, 2013, 05:53 Fletch

Jerykk wrote on Sep 28, 2013, 19:31:
As long as the designers make sure that you can always get where you want to go via contextual actions, the lack of jumping won't be a gamebreaker.
If they allow you to jump whenever you need to jump, then why remove it all? Will I be constantly walking up to places, testing whether I can jump or not? "Can I jump here? Nope. Can I jump here? Nope. How about on top of this crate thats under a window of the building I'm trying to sneak into? Nope. Hmmm... I wonder WTF the developers intended for me to do here". Limiting where you can jump effectively makes this a corridor/rail shooter. We're only allowed to go where the designers want us to go. Exploration and finding multiple paths to exploit was part of the fun of the first two games (and an essential component of the gameplay) . This hand-holding and funneling the player through the map by limiting one of the most basic PC FPS and TPS game tenets is either console shit or shit map design (or both).

Then again, it's possible the developers aren't really designing for a console controller, rather, they are designing for the millions of ADD-addled console dipshits taffers who will gladly pay to play this crap. You almost have to make it a rail shooter so they don't get lost. Not to worry though, console players. I'm sure there will be big yellow arrows pointing the way through the maps, and glowing items that are pickupable. Low on health? Again, don't sweat it. Just duck behind a crate for a few seconds while you magically regenerate.

Needless to say, I'm not interested in this one (any more). MajorD's comment kind of Deus Ex'd me to reinstall the first one, although I think I'll wait for the HD textures to be released in December. They're pretty.

Edit: Btw, lol at Nameless One's comment. I guess the rest of the game would be kind of anti-climatic, wouldn't it.

This comment was edited on Sep 29, 2013, 06:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Frictional Game Tease
3. Re: New Frictional Game Tease Sep 29, 2013, 04:24 Fletch

Xil wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 00:53:
I am thinking systemshock right away Although I know it was not so high on horror but still !
SS scared the shit out of me, so I'd call it horror.

I know they didn't actually develop AMFP, but I'll be checking out reviews and LPs before I buy another game with their name on it. TDD was great, but I thought AMFP was terrible.

News Comments > Steam Controller Announced
46. Re: Steam Controller Announced Sep 28, 2013, 02:50 Fletch

Fuck you, Valve. What's next? Making HL3 a Steambox exclusive? I guess if it ever comes out, I won't want it, as it will just be another consolized pile of shit. This is good for Valve, but bad for PC gamers. Just another damn console with limited controls that will encourage developers to keep their games simplistic and boring, and much less likely to develop for kb/mouse.
"Rest assured, we won’t abandon you. We love mice and keyboards, too."
As far as I'm concerned, they already did. I'm not concerned about Valve. I'm concerned about all the other developers having even less incentive to develop for kb/m, and all the subsequent features of a PC game that naturally follows (UI, depth of gameplay, no over-the-shoulder pespective and cover system bullshit, etc).

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Raptr and AMD Partner to Create AMD Gaming Evolved App, the Ultimate App for the PC Gamer… Sep 26, 2013, 02:43 Fletch

Why the FUCK does AMD think PC gamers need, or even want, to make their gaming experience "simple to use as consoles" Do they think PC gaming is difficult?

I want PC games! I fucking want PC games! I play PC games because I DON'T WANT A CONSOLE EXPERIENCE. I want limitless kb/m configuration options. I want graphics options galore. I want detailed, and yes, even complicated, UIs. I want first-person view. I don't want to suffer endless foul-mouthed, racist children in multiplayer. I don't want your fucking points, and I definitely don't want a bullshit cover system. I want complete control over both my computer's software and hardware, and I want to upgrade/tinker with both as I see fit. I want to CHOOSE my online service. I don't want to talk/text anyone when I'm playing (unless they are on my team in MP), and I sure as fuck don't want you texting me either. I don't need to feel "connected" to enjoy a PC game. PC games are cheaper. PC games are deeper.

PC gamers don't want this shit. Console players with PCs do.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Sep 26, 2013, 01:42 Fletch

GOG makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  

News Comments > THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer
5. Re: THIEF Preorder Bonus Trailer Sep 25, 2013, 22:29 Fletch

Another great PC IP down the shitter because of consoles. Do AAA developers even know what a PC game is any more? Or are they all grown-up console kiddies?  

News Comments > Alien Rage Trailer
9. Re: Alien Rage Trailer Sep 23, 2013, 21:33 Fletch

Yay... hide and heal...

I want my healthpacks, damn it.

Looks exactly like a game that will be on consoles soon. And while the bad-guys act very perturbed, they don't really look like aliens, unless you believe a species that has evolved completely genetically isolated from anything on Earth also developed football (American).

News Comments > Alien Rage Trailer
2. Re: Alien Rage Trailer Sep 23, 2013, 12:59 Fletch

DMV simulator.  

News Comments > More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week
14. Re: More on Steam Living Room Plans Next Week Sep 20, 2013, 16:34 Fletch

If it isn't a keyboard/mouse system that does amazingly well, it won't benefit PC gamers. We'll still be subjected to watered-down dreck from developers primarily making console games.

And Valve, when you add me to your design process, I'll be putting HL3 at the top of your todo list. Just a heads up.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Launches
5. Re: MechWarrior Online Launches Sep 18, 2013, 11:03 Fletch

Still waiting for a MW game with a single-player campaign, online multiplayer, LAN multiplayer, clans... you know, like back in the good ol' days. I'd easily pay $60 for that. Or more. So much great PC game IP being wasted by clueless developers.

@InBlack
"Completely unwanted fixes that do shit"...

Pffft! You don't know what yer talking about!! Have you seen the new "Applejack Custom Pattern" and "new colors"?

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year
78. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 10:42 Fletch

GL1zdA wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 07:21:
Obviously finding "cool shit" is what's fun in Diablo, but not in the current version. In D2 I could find all good items required to play "players 8" in finite time. In D3 it's impossible. I hope with Loot 2.0 they will correct this, it's for sure better than buying items in the AH.

Admittedly, all I "know" about D3 is what I've read or watched on YT. I've never played it, and I never will, so I'm unfamiliar with the trading system in D3. I guess I throw everything D3-related into either "Fucking RMAH" or "Consolitus Bullshit" categories. I'm bitter like that.

I do, however, understand the massive shit loot drops issue (definitely a "Fucking RMAH"-category dealie). I don't appreciate being treated like an open wallet by developers who artificially control drop rates for valuable/powerful items to "encourage" participation in the AH. My D2 didn't have/need an economy. Getting good drops during boss runs was a blast in D2. Having to trade for items just to finish the game or be competitive forces me into an online component that would be completely unnecessary if the drops were more D2-like, and would just piss me off.

Anyhoo, they lost me 2-3 years ago when they stated that health potions would be walk-over power-ups. I'm a PC gamer militant enthusiast, and them's console doin's.

69. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 04:28 Fletch

GL1zdA wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 03:03:
I have no problem with closing the auction houses, I just hope they redesign the game in a way, that won't require me (and saying "you don't have to if you don't want" is not enough) to use 3rd party trading sites - the security and ease of use of the AHs was what I liked about them.

Won't "require" you to use 3rd-party sites? I'll never understand the P2W drive some people have for video games. What other games force you to use 3rd-party sites? I played both Diablo II single-player and multi-player online with friends extensively and the concept never even entered our collective conscience. I just don't get it. If the game is designed properly, the FUN of the game is finding cool shit. I've hacked my single-player games before, and it very quickly becomes boring. Is it a status thing? Pissing contest? I don't get it. Or maybe I misunderstand what you mean by trading site.

67. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 18, 2013, 03:56 Fletch

"When we initially designed and implemented the auction houses, the driving goal was to provide a profitable system for trades."

Fixed that for ya, John.

Still not interested.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed
13. Re: BF4 Open Beta on October 4th Confirmed Sep 17, 2013, 11:14 Fletch

{PH}88fingers wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 10:24:
off topic but just came across a fox news bit that is pretty amazing:
this game will surely create a bunch of mass murderers in the USA...

FOX continues it's tradition of employing the three dumbest people currently staring into a TV camera on FOX and Friends. Hasselbeck is an even bigger dipshit than Gretchen Carlson, and that's saying a lot. Steve Doocy and the brown-haired guy who isn't Steve Doocy are still there because it's difficult finding replacements who are even dumber than they are who can still read a teleprompter.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2013, 21:12 Fletch

Power supply? Random crashes, reboots, slowdowns, etc can all be caused by a failing power supply. PS testers are a cheap and quick way to at least eliminate it as a possibility. Stops codes can possibly lead you to the faulty hardware, but that hardware may be wonking because of the PS. And +1 for Memtest. Great little utility.

I was recently having intermittent slowdowns and lock-ups (not bluescreens), and was having a hell of a time figuring out what piece of hardware was going tits up. Uninstalling Bitdefender, of all things, fixed the problem (which sucks, cuz I really like Bitdefender). Occasional crashes can be a bitch to troubleshoot. You can always just throw parts at it, I guess.

Thanks, Capella and Creston Mashiki*, for the links. I dig useful little utilities like these.

*This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2013, 22:56.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Aug 29, 2013, 13:09 Fletch

"If you back this you are banned from this site…"
Don't want the incredible legacy of the first film tainted?

News Comments > KarBOOM Demos
1. Re: KarBOOM Demos Aug 29, 2013, 12:25 Fletch

Looks boring as hell.  

News Comments > id Hiring a Design Director
19. Re: id Hiring a Design Director Aug 24, 2013, 08:29 Fletch

MyRealName wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 07:58:
BREAKING! Game site groupie do-nothings take sarcastic pot-shots at popular target. News at 10.
BREAKING! Humorless eleven-year member labels newer members and members with fewer posts as "groupies" in hilarious, ironic attempt at condescension.

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Aug 24, 2013, 00:33 Fletch

jdreyer wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 23:48:
A lot of the anti-Affleck tweets make fun of his Boston accent. This makes no sense to me, as Bale was British, but was fine as an American in the role. Affleck has done lots of non-Bostonian parts, so this isn't really an issue.
Here's one...
"Affleck gonna be like "It's the Jokah! Or the Riddlah! Rahbin! Call Commissionah Gahden!"
LOL

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Aug 24, 2013, 00:28 Fletch

"the venn diagram of "good movies ben affleck has been in" and "movies ben affleck also directed" is a single circle."
My sentiments, exactly. I used to hate Ben Affleck movies until I saw "Gone Baby Gone". He's directed some damn good movies. Still, he shouldn't play Batman any more than he should play MLK, or Caesar, or Don Quixote, or Daredevil.

527 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo