Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fletch

Real Name Fletch   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fletch
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 1, 2001, 01:48
Total Comments 563 (Apprentice)
User ID 10520

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief Previews; Videos
11. Re: Thief Previews; Videos Jan 25, 2014, 00:44 Fletch

Jerykk wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 22:56:
Oh brother. So, you basically don't play games anymore? Because every game has button prompts these days. And you do realize that the actions you perform are the same regardless of whether or not you see a prompt? If you press E to open a door or pick a lock or pickpocket someone, that action remains the same even when the prompt is never shown.

Oh brother. Who knew Jerykk would show up and tell me that my problem is I just don't know how to play a video game? Or, that the way many newer games are designed should be okey-dokey with me because it's okey-dokey with him? Shit dude, do you ever get off that horse? You think neo-Thief is awesome. Yeah, we all get that. Many of us don't. And it isn't because we simply don't understand what you understand about the game. Hell, from my perspective, you just don't fucking get it at all. Your comment seems almost purposefully obtuse, like it's your job to spin this game or something.

You assume that "apparently no one actually clicks" the link you posted because... why? Because we don't agree with you? I have seen that page, as I'm pretty sure most of the others who are critical of this game have seen it. Guess what? Doesn't change my mind about the game. And there is no gameplay there. And while you have dismissed no jumping as a minor quibble in other comments, many of us think it's actually a HUGE FUCKING DEAL, and speaks to the lack of respect for the original games and the PC platform, and to the intent of the designers to simplify, railify, and yes, consolify, what was once an outstanding PC game.

All of us actually want a great Thief game, and many of us saw the new game as an opportunity for developers to repair the missteps of the third game. Unfortunately, few, if any, AAA PC games are made without the taint of consoles and multi-platform development any more. And neo-Thief is no exception. PC games used to be better games than they are today. They used to improve every year. Graphics, control, interface, gameplay. And then we got Halo for PC, and DE:IW, and Thief:DS, and Dragon Age II, etc. Now, we get Thi4f.

You don't agree? Terrific. We disagree then. I'm fine with that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 on Steam Jan 24, 2014, 21:26 Fletch

jdreyer wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 20:21:
Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 on Steam

"Is it just me, or are these sim games kind of out of control?"

Someone must be buying them. Personally, I'm waiting for "Game Developer Simulator".
That said, if this game includes a '94 Mustang GT... sold.

News Comments > Thief Previews; Videos
8. Re: Thief Previews; Videos Jan 24, 2014, 21:12 Fletch

Cram wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 20:20:
"In the video the guy says you can turn off absolutely everything, the entire UI and all alerts. No mention of an FOV option."

I want to see gameplay with everything off. The constant "press x to xxxxx" prompts just isn't the kind of gameplay I'm interested in. I have 104+ keys and a bunch on my mouse. I want to assign keys to do specific things based on what the game physics will allow, and then figure out how to accomplish my objectives by being able to do anything I wish, anywhere. If you need to be prompted, or close enough to something so pressing a key will play some scripted action, well, then that isn't gaming, afaic. It's an interactive movie. It's limiting, and it's boring.

The Strategy Informer write-up stated "The story and the overall experience will be key to whether the game succeeds or fails..." I didn't get the impression that gameplay was what he meant by "overall experience". Multi-platform game development has rendered PC gaming simplistic and unchallenging, imnsho, and PC gaming has been infected with the "media experience", at least in the AAA FP stealth/shooter realm.

Oh well, I was glad to be able to see and read about more gameplay, even though it was done at Eidos' office. I've seen enough to know that they won't be getting my money. The game is pretty much as I thought. Too limiting, too much hand-holding, so many scripted events, and no bloody "taffers". Even if it wasn't a Thief game, it would hold no interest to me. As a PC game, it's two steps back.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast
27. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 07:55 Fletch

John Cleese? Check. Malcolm McDowell? Check. Hmmm... Kate Beckinsale asking "would you like to inspect my wares?"... I'm not sure I'd recognize Kate Beckinsale's voice. And, unless I could actually see her somehow, you could have any limey chick reading her lines. I wouldn't know the difference. Now, Adele would make an excellent shopkeeper (or street whore).  

News Comments > Rambo the Video Game Trailer
20. Re: Rambo the Video Game Trailer Jan 21, 2014, 17:59 Fletch

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 20:08:
Fletch wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 17:51:
This looks absolutely terrible. Has hold-my-hand console game written all over it. I mean, seriously? This is a real game? Even more alarming... is this a real "upcoming movie"?

"Console."

Why is that everyone's go to?
It's an on rails game, like many arcade games, or the sadly popular Beachhead PC series.

True. It's kind of a thing with me, I guess. Gotta learn to turn it off.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Jan 20, 2014, 21:11 Fletch

Cutter wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 20:57:
Fletch wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 20:36:
Henry Dorsett wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 15:33:
Well, we are dealing with an Ars article, Cutter. And I thought the point of video games was entertainment and/or artistic expression. Well, looks like I've been doing it wrong.

Or maybe console "gamers" are just easily-entertained.

Zackly. Console gamers are the RealityTV crowd. PC gamers watch documentaries.
"Honey Boo Boo Adventures" is going to be an XBox One exclusive.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 20, 2014, 20:54 Fletch

Finally, a woman that will talk to me.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 20, 2014, 20:51 Fletch

This has to be a console device. Makes the game easier when you begin to stress? LOL! How about a shock collar that activates whenever you utter the word "fag" or "bitch", etc?  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jan 20, 2014, 20:48 Fletch

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 20:27:
I've said it before and I'll say it again...
A ven diagram would have been helpful.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jan 20, 2014, 20:36 Fletch

Henry Dorsett wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 15:33:
Well, we are dealing with an Ars article, Cutter. And I thought the point of video games was entertainment and/or artistic expression. Well, looks like I've been doing it wrong.
Or maybe console "gamers" are just easily-entertained.

News Comments > Thief System Requirements
28. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 22:45 Fletch

Jerykk wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 19:17:
I seriously don't understand the hate this game receives. I assume much of it stems from reactionary criticism that people take at face value without bothering to do any research themselves. The exact same thing happened with DX:HR which ended up being a great game.

Oh ffs, the ol' "if you don't agree with me, it must be because you don't know as much about it as I do". If you can't understand the hate this game is receiving, maybe it's because you are a reactionary fanboy, and haven't bothered trying to understand the criticism. See what I did there?

News Comments > Thief System Requirements
14. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 19:06 Fletch

Minimum spec also requires the game itself, which means my system will never be able to run it.

News Comments > Rambo the Video Game Trailer
2. Re: Rambo the Video Game Trailer Jan 17, 2014, 17:51 Fletch

This looks absolutely terrible. Has hold-my-hand console game written all over it. I mean, seriously? This is a real game? Even more alarming... is this a real "upcoming movie"?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 17, 2014, 01:24 Fletch

Axis wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 19:35:
Last thing the US needs are more useless unions.
I was going to say basically what Cutter did. If you are blue-collar and anti-union, you are absolutely clueless about what unions do and how they built the middle class. But hey, if Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, and the blonde bimbo of the day and her two dipshit bookends on F&F say unions are bad, they must be bad, right?

It's difficult to comprehend why so many Americans vote against their own interests so often, and why they keep voting for complete imbeciles like Bachmann, Gohmert, and Cruz. It's like their bullshit filter is turned off completely, and they'll believe anything. Maybe they are just born stupid and gullible and there simply aren't enough lions around to remove them from the gene pool naturally.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Firefighters must decline vacations for saving a dog thanks to state ethics laws. Jan 16, 2014, 16:33 Fletch

I do my job every day. Hey Ellen, where's my vacation?

News Comments > Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Revealed
1. Re: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Revealed Jan 4, 2014, 13:18 Fletch

"Bring us back to the great days of MMOs."
When was that, exactly?

News Comments > On Sale (2)
15. Re: On Sale (2) Jan 3, 2014, 03:50 Fletch

jdreyer wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 03:45:
Huh, I can't get to Steam, either through the web or through the Steam app.
I've been trying for 2-3 hours. It's down for some reason.

News Comments > New Year's Eve Consolidation
12. Re: Tomb Raider producer defends $60 Definitive Edition Dec 31, 2013, 18:52 Fletch

^lol

Awesome. There's nothing like being locked to a single corporate entity whose shiny new game system isn't backward-compatible with games you already own lease. And I don't see how improved graphics is an incentive for people to spend another $60 on a game they've already played on PS3, but I guess it does allow new console owners to somewhat rationalize buying the thing. I wish developer mouthpieces would quit including it in their bullet points, though. It's the gameplay, stupid.

Good news for PS4 owners however, in that a streaming service for the PS4 is in the works that will allow you to play PS3 games, but, again, you'll be at the mercy of Sony and their cloud, as well as lag and possible server performance/down-time, and it will only cost you a modest monthly fee for the privilege. Lessee... backward-compatible, or a new proprietary system architecture that is not? Where is the revenue stream here?

Would it have been that hard to slap an emulator chip onto the mainboard that kicks in whenever a PS3 game is inserted? Oh well, console players choose their respective gatekeepers when they choose a platform.

Ok, off to install Wizardy8 again... still a blast twelve years after release.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Dec 31, 2013, 17:02 Fletch

GOG seems intent on me owning every game they sell by including games I don't want with games I do want in these combo deals. It's cheaper to buy the whole combo than the individual game or two I want from it.  

News Comments > Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record
22. Re: Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record Dec 30, 2013, 13:56 Fletch

Yeah, but... a lot of that was me.

563 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo