Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3910 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
7. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 16:47 Quboid

There's enough dislike of the online requirement. Even when the anger settles, the hatred of any unnecessary always-on requirement in any game will keep this going.

I'm still annoyed that Anno 2070 has (had?) an always-on requirement. I passed on an Anno game for the first time. I think I heard they were patching the requirement out but I don't know if they delivered.

I'm currently in a queue to get onto my server. Shame, because SimSeveralSmallTowns is actually a really good game. Fix the traffic, fix the population:workers ratio and give us larger cities. For free.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
107. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 10, 2013, 15:50 Quboid

Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 13:22:
I really despise people lumping artists and game programmers under the general banner of "entertainment industry employee". We are not as exchangable as the people who work on movie sets like key grips or boom techs.. We have technical/artistic skills that go beyond the average film set worker.

I don't think he meant to imply that they are the same at all; just that they work in the same industry. Drummers and guitarists can both be called musicians, no one takes that to mean they're interchangeable.

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
84. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 9, 2013, 09:23 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 21:35:
Quboid wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 19:39:
My understanding was that the regional stuff is server side but the city simulation is client side. The city simulation is pretty detailed and is probably a CPU hog, there's no much that can be done about that without affecting everything.

This is what I'd read before launch and it is how it seems to act in-game. I've played about 8 hours and the city stuff has been fine. However, some of the region play is a bit wonky, for example I can't jump into a city, expand the power station, jump out and sell that extra juice as it takes several minutes to update the region.

The actual game is very good, but it's SimRegion rather than SimCity. SimSeveralSmallTowns.

I thought all the underlying "agents" in the city were also mostly done cloud-side?

In either case, the game apparently runs off one core, with some minor stuff handled by another core, so it's never going to win any awards for "well-written software."

Creston

I don't think so. The responsiveness of in-city stuff suggests it's done locally while the main gameplay problems I've had (as opposed to many connectivity issues) is with the region being unresponsive.

It only uses one core because your Dad's PC might only have one core ... is that right EA? It's not as if it's an ideal game for multi-core and GPGPU stuff or anything like that.

At least they're giving me a free game, unless the renegade on that too.

- Quboid

81. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 19:39 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 15:20:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:52:
Don't get me wrong this is obviously a mess and a serious embarrassment, but I thought maybe that was THEIR point anyway with the dad's PC comment.

But then why wouldn't you just lower the graphical fidelity? Like every other game has been capable of doing since really the beginning of time. Why limit it on the one thing that every player and every single preview has been hammering them about?

It seems to me like they were hoping to squeeze by with just a few servers.

Creston

My understanding was that the regional stuff is server side but the city simulation is client side. The city simulation is pretty detailed and is probably a CPU hog, there's no much that can be done about that without affecting everything.

This is what I'd read before launch and it is how it seems to act in-game. I've played about 8 hours and the city stuff has been fine. However, some of the region play is a bit wonky, for example I can't jump into a city, expand the power station, jump out and sell that extra juice as it takes several minutes to update the region.

The actual game is very good, but it's SimRegion rather than SimCity. SimSeveralSmallTowns.

- Quboid

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM
3. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 09:33 Quboid

Yeah, passing $2 millimetres so quickly is impressive, probably.  

- Quboid

68. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 09:31 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 08:21:
Quboid wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 08:00:
No they didn't, that's misrepresenting what they said.

"That is just a performance decision," Quigley told IncGamers. "Given that was the performance constraint we decided to work under, we built a larger region environment and a bunch of the multiplay to work with 2km cities. At some point in the future, especially with mainstream computers become more capable, we could certainly make the city sizes larger."

The idea that PCs are somehow incapable of rendering their advanced game is absurd, go look at the resource usage while you're playing sometime. The Dads PC crap is just an excuse to sell you this as an addon later on. There is this concept called scaling and its applied to modern video games all the time.

They are holding it back as a feature to sell later, are you contesting that they will sell this later on or just quibbling about the language they used?

The language they used, or rather the language you used. This all stinks to high heaven, don't get me wrong, but they did not admit that they're holding it back to sell it to us later. They probably will do this, but there's been no such admission.

- Quboid

56. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 08:00 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 07:10:
Julio wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 06:49:
Add the features back in as microtransactions!

There will be a Big City Moving On Up expansion, just watch. They already admitted they kept bigger cities sizes held back as a feature.

No they didn't, that's misrepresenting what they said.

"That is just a performance decision," Quigley told IncGamers. "Given that was the performance constraint we decided to work under, we built a larger region environment and a bunch of the multiplay to work with 2km cities. At some point in the future, especially with mainstream computers become more capable, we could certainly make the city sizes larger."

He said that as a mainstream game, it needs to run on "your dad's PC" as well as yours. But as PCs get more capable, he claims the update will come at some point. "We'll eventually get around to expanding the city size but I canít make any promises as to when."

Not the same as holding it back as a feature.

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity Adding Servers
85. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 19:19 Quboid

Well, I'm shocked - *shocked* - to report that it's horribly broken. Shocked I tell you.

They really couldn't have messed this up any worse.

- Quboid

66. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 16:38 Quboid

avianflu wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 15:51:
None of the major game review websites have reviewed this game except Giant Bomb. That's odd in itself with a major game release.

Normally they most would have reviewed by now. Look at Far Cry 3 or Crysis 3 as a point of comparison. Or really any major game release.

Perhaps the reviewers cannot actually connect to play?

From CNet:
CNET Editor Jeff Bakalar, assigned to review SimCity, ran into problems trying to connect at least twice a day since Tuesday: "I had planned on reviewing the game for launch -- and I'm not joking here -- I've yet to been able to even play the game. Once."

- Quboid

65. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 16:26 Quboid

As a paying customer*, I should be pissed off about this but at this point, it's hilarious to see EA so spectacularly demonstrate one of the main reasons people hate always-on DRM. I'll inevitably check at midnight (UK release date) but I'll not get my hopes up.

Debacles like this will help bring the awfulness of the always-on DRM to the public eye. Has this made the mainstream news yet?

* I preordered. I'm an idiot for doing so. I preordered the day it became available on Origin, before the DRM was public.

- Quboid

47. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 14:46 Quboid

So basically EA are the only people in the world who didn't* see this coming? Who didn't think this was the most inevitable series of events ever?

*who pretend they didn't

- Quboid

45. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 14:17 Quboid

I can preload now (UK release date is tomorrow, in 5 hours hopefully). It says it's 12GB, but it downloaded a 268MB file and thinks it's done. When this launches, it's going to be the same launcher that the beta had and it will only download the actual game then, isn't it?

Tumbler, I think that whole article is fake, an attempted joked I've little doubt.

- Quboid

43. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 14:02 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 13:56:
Quboid wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 12:50:
Creston, Verno, I thought it was built to do some of the simulation online and that's the core requirement. This is not the same as leader boards and that sort of rubbish which definitely are secondary.

Who are P4R Gaming? Is there any reason to believe them? That article looks fake, even the comment from EA looks fake.

Yeah, that crossed my mind as well. It has an Onionesque feel to it. Still, here's a thread where some of the comments show up.

Posted by forum regulars, it appears. Creston says it's just a joke, it looks like just a joke.

- Quboid

37. Re: SimCity Adding Servers Mar 7, 2013, 12:50 Quboid

Creston, Verno, I thought it was built to do some of the simulation online and that's the core requirement. This is not the same as leader boards and that sort of rubbish which definitely are secondary.

Who are P4R Gaming? Is there any reason to believe them? That article looks fake, even the comment from EA looks fake.

- Quboid

News Comments > Arma III Alpha Released
54. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 16:32 Quboid

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:27:
Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 16:26:
nin wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:41:
My system's quite old so poor performance and graphics are to be expected.

What's your video card? I've got some variety of 560 I think (at work right now), and wondered how much it would chug.

Thanks!

It's a Geforce 460 768MB, running on an Intel dual-core i3 4.2Ghz.

WOOT! I'm in! Thank ya!

I meant to say, this is at 1920x1200 which is much higher than my system should be powering. That's why pre-processing anti-aliasing kills it. Lowering the rendering resolution makes it butt ugly.

- Quboid

52. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 16:26 Quboid

nin wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:41:
My system's quite old so poor performance and graphics are to be expected.

What's your video card? I've got some variety of 560 I think (at work right now), and wondered how much it would chug.

Thanks!

It's a Geforce 460 768MB, running on an Intel dual-core i3 4.2Ghz.

- Quboid

News Comments > Thief (4) Details Inbound
39. Re: Thief (4) Details Inbound Mar 5, 2013, 15:40 Quboid

Parias wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 14:08:
Quboid wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 13:27:
DX:HR was excellent and the rubbish boss fights were only 50% their fault, in that they didn't make them but they should have paid more attention. I didn't like the expansion but that's a relatively minor complaint.

Heh, that's a bit of an ironic stance.... are you aware that the expansion had what was considered a "fixed" approach to boss fights - you could approach that particular battle any way you wanted to, and even just knock the guy out instead of killing him if you wanted? It was one of the better points.

The boss fight in the expansion may have been better than those in the base game, but the expansion as a whole was extremely forgettable ... so forgettable, I don't actually remember a boss fight. I think there was one in a huge hanger which gave you much more freedom. That's good, but on the whole, the expansion wasn't special and when I play through DX:HR again, I'll probably skip it.

- Quboid

44. Re: Arma III Alpha Released Mar 5, 2013, 15:34 Quboid

Well, I'm reasonably pleased. The controls are much better - not perfect, but playable. I don't get that weird mouse deceleration issue that rendered Arma2 unplayable.

My system's quite old so poor performance and graphics are to be expected. It's still a disappointment but hey. It needs a good frame rate so IMHO it's worth switch off a few bells and whistles. As much as post-processed antialiasing sucks, it's a lot better than nothing and using the real antialiasing at just 2x kills my performance.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues
61. Re: Ships Ahoy - SimCity; Refunds Offered for Launch Issues Mar 5, 2013, 15:27 Quboid

Slick wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 15:03:
I'm completely and utterly outraged that I am being forced to be connected to the internet to constantly view and post on these forums. I am a loyal, dedicated fan and as such deserve to have things my way and get to choose whether or not I want to be online for these forums. This isn't communist China, you shouldn't be allowed to force us fans into something we don't want to do. If I want to be on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere that has no internet, I should still be able to post on these forums and view topics.

If my demands are not met within the next 2 day, I'm going to pirate these forums. I'm going to use the internet to find a way to use these forums without the internet. Then who will have the last laugh? Me! That's who. The loyal fan(s) which you're rolling over by this requirement! Unbelievable!

You don't need to be online to read this site or to compose your comments. You only need to be online to download the page or upload your comment. Your comparison is stupid to start of with (Internet forums are very much multiplayer) and even then, it doesn't work. Unlike a double negative, a double fail doesn't become a win.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Mod Causes a "Six Strikes" Strike?
4. Re: Game Mod Causes a Mar 5, 2013, 13:40 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Mar 5, 2013, 10:10:
When we all first heard about new "six strikes" plans being used by ISPs to identify copyright infringers, we all agreed it seemed like a perfect and foolproof system, but it seems our optimism may have been unfounded

Rofl.... Laugh

Rotfl

- Quboid

3910 Comments. 196 pages. Viewing page 48.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo