Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4201 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > Quoteworthy: Activision on Annual Calls of Duty
22. Re: Quoteworthy: Activision on Annual Calls of Duty Aug 30, 2013, 10:40 Quboid

Dev wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 01:05:
Anyone else see the obvious contradiction?
"There's demand and excitement each and every time out.
"But, we don't take anything for granted."

One refers to the past and present, the other refers to the future. I don't think it's a contradiction, but it bland corporate talk that doesn't really say anything at all.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2013, 10:35 Quboid

First post!  

- Quboid

9. Re: Quoteworthy: Activision on Annual Calls of Duty Aug 28, 2013, 14:34 Quboid

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 14:23:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 14:19:
This is just like Hollywood churning out superhero movies every year but unlike Hollywood where you have to deal with aging actors with massive egos you just can't put out a blockbuster "wining formula" Batman movie every year, but I'm sure they would love to keep that machine going.

Gaming and hollywood also have the same problem of increasingly huge budgets that end up almost sinking the ship once one bombs and doesn't return the investment.

Good point. While I tolerate Call of Duty - as if I have a choice - it would be nice if the relative financial security that it should afford them was being used more adventurously. It seems like good business too, eventually CoD will either run out of steam or mess up the formula and they'll need other games to make up the shortfall.

Now is the time to get these new franchises out and established while CoD is still bring in enough so they can afford to fail, afford to have several misses before a hit and afford to try something that's a bit different.

Maybe Activision would claim they are doing this. I'm sure they've got many things going on that I don't know about but I'm not convinced they're being particularly adventurous.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2013, 14:26 Quboid

Any lawyers here? VentureBeat's use of "allegedly" in their headline strikes me as weird; I understand news media referring to the accusations as being "alleged", but isn't it incorrect to say that King is suing 6waves for allegedly copying their games?

King aren't suing on the grounds that "accusations of copying have been made", they're suing on the grounds that they believe "copying has been done" if you see what I mean. They're not saying 6waves allegedly copied games, they're alleging that they *did* copy games.

Does "King sues 6waves for copying games" imply that 6waves is already guilty? I wouldn't read it as such - the fact there's a lawsuit implies not IMHO - but perhaps this would be considering irresponsible reporting (which no journalist ever would ever want to do ever of course).

- Quboid

6. Re: Quoteworthy: Activision on Annual Calls of Duty Aug 28, 2013, 11:44 Quboid

nin wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 08:42:
"The cadence of the releases seems to have found a nice equilibrium with people's appetite,"

IE "people keep buying this shit, so it keeps coming out." Kinda hard to argue with that...

Indeed. I've long since made my peace with Call of Duty; if that's what people want to play then so be it. Sort of like Counter Strike back in the day, it's a place were loads of gamers go who I'm not going to miss - although the CS community looked good in comparison to the stereotypical 14 year old Xboxer whose enthusiasm for CoD is matched only by their enthusiasm for my mother. The reality TV of gaming is right.

Edit: There's a chance I'm over-thinking this but actually, Facebook games are the reality TV of gaming. The same low budget shit with slightly different make-up splashed on. CoD is to gaming what Directed By Michael Bay And Starring Jason Statham is to film. Not gonna lie, I can enjoy switching my brain off for 2 hours to watch that sort of thing but I can't imagine ever paying £40 for the pleasure again.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2013, 11:56.

- Quboid

News Comments > FIFA 14 Gameplay Trailer
1. Re: FIFA 14 Gameplay Trailer Aug 27, 2013, 17:48 Quboid

Their first demonstration match was 0-0 after the full 90 minutes. I love football* but sometimes you have to laugh.

* assuming we win. A 4-2 win for Liverpool tonight, against Notts County, a team ranked about 60 places below us. Not great but I'll take it!

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 16:24 Quboid

Prez wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 10:19:
Then there's the issue of kickstarting a measely $5k - I tend to think that a game developer who can't even put together that tiny amount of capital need not be developing a game. Hell, I could raise $5000 in a few months delivering pizzas on the side.

That's what they were doing, trying to put together $5,000. Why waste time delivering pizzas for a few months if you can sell a few pre-orders and get started on what you want to do?

I think I see your point. It doesn't make them look like a very professional outfit and I can see how it would undermine confidence in them - but I don't really see why. It seems like it should be a last resort (which I think is what you're implying?) but I don't see any actual reason for this other than Kickstarter's relative newness and that some others, like Chris Taylor, have used it as a Hail Mary option.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
27. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 11:37 Quboid

I've heard it said that the only thing Ballmer was any good at was keeping his job; dividends to keep the big stockholders happy would be a part of that.  

- Quboid

23. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 26, 2013, 07:10 Quboid

They got sued for monopolistic behaviour because they took that approach instead of trying to be innovative. They could have used their position to establish their position as defacto web standards leader. Instead, they stopped all innovation and tried to stifle competitors.

that dividends matter when it comes to measuring the success of a CEO and whether or not he has been bad or good for a company

That is not what Beamer said. He said this is why major shareholders didn't have an issue with Ballmer - not quite the same thing.

- Quboid

13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 25, 2013, 21:15 Quboid

Jivaro wrote on Aug 25, 2013, 20:31:
Windows Phones have gone nowhere under his watch. Android is filling the gaping hole that should have been Microsoft's foothold in the smartphone business. It is perhaps the biggest missed opportunity in the history of technology. Ballmer owns that.

I'd pick something else as the biggest missed opportunity in the history of technology, but also by Microsoft: Internet Explorer. They had 96% of the browser market in 2002 (according to Wikipedia, with no citation). Even if that's exaggerated and it was was "only" around 90% they practically had the world wide web in the palm of their hands and they pissed it away.

It took them years to release IE7 and it's taken them a decade to produce a browser which isn't bad. Not even good in any particular way, just no longer awful; and this without them having any real influence on how the web has developed. We'd all be using MSML (Microsoft Markup Language) instead of HTML if they'd played their cards right. Phew.

- Quboid

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 25, 2013, 20:19 Quboid

the company long utilized a system called “stack rating,” whereby every member of the company was judged relative to his peers. If you worked on a team of ten, you knew that two of your colleagues would get great ratings, seven would pass, and one would fail.

I hadn't heard of this before. I'm rather stunned, it's hard to comprehend anyone implementing such a destructive measure. Why would you put office politics at the centre of your business?

- Quboid

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2013, 12:17 Quboid

Alamar wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 21:27:
Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 16:42:
The guy who started the petition said Affleck isn't built. Um, did he not see him in The Town? He was friggin' buff, man. Physically he has the chops to plat Batman. It's just his style doesn't jibe.

I miss the old styrofoam containers.

Plus, that's just more proof that people are stupid (and have no memory)...

Edward Norton was a puny kid in most (all?) his movies... Up until American History X... Shocked the shit out of me... Maybe not crazy 6-pack ripped, but still...

This is what (fit) actors do; Buff up, or down, for a role. As much as people like to bitch about how overpaid they are, some of them work a crap-ton harder than most North American's I have known : )

Redmask wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 21:26:
People said the same thing about Heath Ledger, Michael Keaton and Daniel Craig more recently.

I remember expecting the first (with Keaton) Batman movie/character to be shit, but it was a great film... Nicholson also did a great job (though more expected).

As for Affleck, I'm not a big fan... I like him in some things, and mostly think he's an idiot, but I'll judge it when I see it.

-Alamar

Before his first Batman film, Christian Bale was 55 Kg, or 120 pounds. I don't know what weight Affleck is but unless he too is playing someone who looks like death, he's got a much shorter distance.

- Quboid

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2013, 14:00 Quboid

Is it ridiculous for Affleck to play Batman, or for Wired to be reporting this stuff?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders
10. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 12:52 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 12:45:
Gadzooks wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 12:35:
This seems like a blatant and cheap rip off of the popular pixel based mobile game Game Dev Story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Dev_Story

Kairosoft makes a bunch of pixel based games that feature similar gameplay. Game Dev Story was one of their first and most popular games.

One is only available on iPhone and Android.. the other on PC. It ain't the fault of the 2nd game that the 1st game was made by a bunch of people who ignored the calls for a PC version.

Yes, yes it is. This wasn't an accident. This wasn't something that so desperately needed a PC release that gosh darn it all if they just couldn't help themselves.

The developers deliberately (I suspect) copied GDS and released it on a platform where it wouldn't have to compete with the real thing. That's almost definitely legal and quite possibly good business, but it's still shitty behaviour.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2013, 12:07 Quboid

This is like people who complain that their social media feed of choice is full of idiots. You're voluntarily following their posts, who's the biggest idiot here?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders
7. Re: Game Dev Tycoon Steam Preorders Aug 23, 2013, 12:05 Quboid

TotalBiscuit previewed this and didn't seem wildly impressed. I'd cut them a lot more slack if it wasn't essentially a clone of Game Dev Story from Kiarosoft. It's not a pixel by pixel clone but it's too similar for it to get away with claiming that it's just genre tropes IMHO.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Wargame AirLand Battle OS X/Linux Early Access
8. Re: Wargame AirLand Battle OS X/Linux Early Access Aug 22, 2013, 10:01 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 09:53:
You guys make it sound like a lot of fun.
I might grab it when it goes on sale again.

Again? It's on sale now.

Dmitri_M, there was a bug where infantry in forest would be labelled as panicked when they should, but no actual panic penalties would be applied. Does your tactic still work?

- Quboid

News Comments > Wargame AirLand Battle OS X/Linux Early Access
5. Re: Wargame AirLand Battle OS X/Linux Early Access Aug 22, 2013, 09:03 Quboid

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 06:35:
Shok wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 23:02:
I've got a major addiction to ALB. I'm at 100 hrs and counting, barely competent at it lol, but still having a blast.
Same here. Great game.

I'm at 90 hours and I barely know half the units.

The single player is completely different in ALB. EE had linear campaigns, now there's proper dynamic ones. I haven't tried it since the campaign patch a few weeks ago to address some issues with it (too many stalemates) but when I played it before the patch the flaw was apparent but it will still very enjoyable. Damn commies and their nukes, next time I'll take a harder line.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2013, 09:37.

- Quboid

News Comments > F1 2013 Trailer
7. Re: F1 2013 Trailer Aug 17, 2013, 22:23 Quboid

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 15:38:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 14:25:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 12:55:
antique race cars from the 1980s
? Really? Am i that old?
Well, 80s cars with their wooden wheels and hand cranks ARE pretty old.

Wooden wheels and hand cranks wa wa whaaaa?

My car's from the 80's - the 1980's - and it has the mechanism for hand cranking the engine, although it's not connected up and is probably incompatible with her more modern engine.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Sims 4 Details & Screenshots [Updated]
3. Re: The Sims 4 Details & Screenshots Aug 17, 2013, 15:34 Quboid

Apologies for the blasphemy, but there's a game in The Sims. I'm not sure this is the title to actually manage it but IMHO if you could trust your sims to live their lives without you holding their hands, it would add a moderately interesting social simulator to a moderately interesting house design Lego kit.

I don't want a "doing the chores and getting dinner ready and cleaning and going to bed and oh god there's not enough hours in the day" simulator. I play games to get away from that.

- Quboid

4201 Comments. 211 pages. Viewing page 48.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo