Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3931 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
23. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 10:09 Quboid

Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would want to do these ultra efficient, ultra-unrealistic towns. If I wanted to play a spreadsheet, I'd play Football Manager.

I think I've played for more than 20 minutes disconnected. I don't remember ever being kicked out. I've certainly been unable to connect a few times and lost the server connection in-game many times but never suffered any penalty or rollback. Maybe it briefly got a connection every so often.

I'm interested in that last bit too, the population showing the real figure.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Offline SimCity
66. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 13:27 Quboid

Having played it a lot since release...

There's nothing in the region simulation that couldn't be done on our own computers, and our own computers would barely notice the extra load. I don't believe they could just flick a switch and give us offline regions but for it wouldn't be particularly difficult for them to do it - and it would be a better game for it. Multiplayer regions would be more complex but for single player, yes it needs an Internet connection - but because EA designed it to.

I was impressed by the city simulation but it seems that the more is learnt about it, the worse it is. No proper home ownership. No sims ageing. No education detail above yes/no - you only need the highest level education building you can afford, without ageing you don't need separate schools for different ages (this is the impression I get, unconfirmed). At first I thought they might patch out problems like the population:worker ratio getting worse as pop goes up but it seems that's the tip of the iceberg.

I wonder if the Spore effect has come in to play here - the DRM is so bad, it's distracted from the actual game's failings. If SimSeveralSmallTowns had launched in the condition it is now, I'd have been pleasantly surprised but there'd probably be far more discussion about the actual simulation's failings.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Al Qaeda Mar 13, 2013, 11:59 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 11:19:
Can we ban a user for claiming Al Qaeda is a fictional creation?

Also, I mean ban from life, or at least breeding. Not just ban from this site, but I'd be ok with that.

It's not a fictional creation but most western media uses it as a meaningless umbrella phrase for Islamist militants or terrorists as if they're all one organised group.

- Quboid

56. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 11:25 Quboid

I absolutely agree. EA tried to shaft us but royally fucked it up and it's hilariously bad PR.

It's just on that one point about how 'EA lied about the city simulation being server side' I don't agree. I don't think EA have ever claimed this and I don't see why they would - but then, EA's actions don't always make sense!

- Quboid

53. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 11:04 Quboid

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 10:50:
Quboid wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 10:35:
There's so many legitimate complaints about SimSeveralSmallTowns, it's odd that people are sticking to a false one.

I don't even take it for certain that it's "false", for all we know it's been mis-communicated in one of their many press events and reddit question sessions, I just don't feel like digging through old shit to find it for a forum argument that couldn't matter less. Even if I accepted what you're saying, in the end it is detrimental to the product and unnecessary which is what is important, they don't skate because they added an asterisk or something.

Is it detrimental? Is it a footnote? Here's how I see the situation (assuming I speak for everyone!):

- We don't want cities simulated on EA's servers.
- AFAIK, EA never said they were.
- Cities aren't simulated on EA's servers.

- We don't want regions simulated on EA's servers.
- EA have said that they are simulated on their servers.
- Regions are simulated on EA's servers.

- EA have said that a connection is required.
- Region play is an essential part (IMHO) of SimSeveralSmallTowns
- Ergo, a connection is required.

I think EA have been honest in this regard. The thing that we should be angry about is that the regions are server side, not that the cities are client side. Where I think EA have been dishonest is by implying that the regions _need_ to be done server side. Sure, they do when the game is designed that way but they could have designed a better game by making it all client side. That's the problem. That's what we should be pissed about.

- Quboid

50. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 10:35 Quboid

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 10:22:
That's a chicken and egg problem though and EA doesn't get any trust from me. Did they design the game around those multiplayer aspects or are the small city limitations a result of applying a DRM first approach which resulted in putting some things on the server? I'm leaning toward the latter and regardless of what lawyerly weaseling they will try to do about the language (we never claimed that specifically!) it doesn't make the game, it's launch or their lies about other things like refunds and potential offline functionality more palatable to me.

I think we could have a more traditional SimCity game with larger cities while still having a multiplayer component, there's really no valid reason to force people into these bizarre design choices they made for no ones benefit but their own. I don't remember anyone begging for the SimTown Connected Social Media Experience to be rammed down their throat, at the expense of the overall product and the ability to play it without EA servers.

Yes, I agree almost entirely. However, I don't think it's lawyerly weaselling. They simulate the region server-side and the region is essential to the overall product, therefore a connection is needed and while it's not quite always-on, it's bloody close.

Close enough that I think EA were right to describe it as always needing an internet connection. Can you imagine the fuss if they had said "no it's not always-online, you only need to be online every 20 minutes"? Everyone - you and me included - would be up in arms at the weaselly way they were pretending it's not always-online.

To be clear: I don't think there's any technical reason why it would need to be online at all and it is ultimately online for DRM, control and DLC. It would take a fair bit of work, but they could release a stand-alone town simulator fairly easily and a standalone region simulator eventually (at which point, I might actually advise people to buy it). That's what people should be mad about, the region being simulated server side. Not the city being simulated client side because EA never claimed otherwise and this is a good thing anyway.

There's so many legitimate complaints about SimSeveralSmallTowns, it's odd that people are sticking to a false one.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2013, 10:50.

- Quboid

47. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 10:14 Quboid

ViRGE wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 05:44:
mag wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 21:41:
As for the server being required to play the game, he tells them SimCity does no significant game simulation on the server side:

I was pretty skeptical of that claim. It would be absolutely ridiculous for them to take on that amount of processing power themselves. Extremely expensive.
You have to differentiate between the city sim and the region sim. It's clear the city sim (the most CPU intensive part of this) is taking place on the client. However the region sim is currently taking place on the server, which is consistent with what EA has said before. This is what allows them to do the kind of drop-in/drop-out multiplayer that the game uses.

Ultimately with enough time and enough effort all of that could be moved offline, but the mere idea of a regional sim has been made a core component of the game (the endgame is effectively managing several cities). So merely running the city sim on its own is not especially useful.

Thank you.

EA have deserved massive, massive amounts of criticism over this, but people are focussed on something EA have, to the best of my knowledge, never claimed: that the city simulation runs even partially on the server. I don't believe it does. I don't see any evidence that it does. I've never seen EA claim it does. They've said the "entire region" is simulated server side, but that doesn't mean the cities are - in the context of the game, that's clearly a very different, region simulation and city simulation, while interconnected, are different things.

Criticise EA for the many things they deserve criticism for, not for things people seem to have assumed they said when as far as I can see, they haven't.

Someone with the influence of Notch should know better.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
52. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 23:16 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 20:37:
Quboid wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 19:27:
Have EA actually claimed the city simulation is at all server side?

Yep, they did

Creston

Where? Do you mean "we sim the entire region on the server"? That doesn't mean they do the city sim on the server.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 19:27 Quboid

Have EA actually claimed the city simulation is at all server side? It's pretty clear that it's not, but I didn't know they'd claimed otherwise. They've said always-online is required but not that the city simulation is the reason AFAIK. It's the region simulation which seems to be server side and it's not unreasonable for EA to claim that that's an essential part of the game. I'm sure it could be done offline with no problem but that's another issue.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 17:03 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 16:01:
Quboid wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:02:
I sent $2,500,000 from a big industrial city to a new city to create a utopia and it never arrived. That money's gone.

Obviously that's part of the game. Big industrial cities are rife with corruption and that's correctly modeled. Working as designed.

Actually they (another $250K one had gone AWOL) just came through, several days later. Perhaps the server is going through a backlog of instructions that piled up due to the rubbish launch. It's too late now, the city is already a bigger industrial dump. It would never have worked, I'd assumed the oil would be in a little corner but it was all over the map, no utopia to be had in Black Gold Bay.

I should stop playing, the worker:population bug is wreaking everything, yet it's still really good fun.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 15:00 Quboid

Tumbler wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:43:
Anyone have comments on playing the game?

It's pretty good. The connectivity issues have mostly gone away now, but the region system can be unresponsive and there's still missing features, cheetah speed being the important one. This will probably be switched on in the next day or two.

The game its self is good. If they support it and release a gameplay patch, it could be excellent. When you're starting out, with a small village and some big ideas, it comes together very well. In fact the first hour of a city's life is very enjoyable - if I was the cynical sort, I'd wonder if that's why the beta was limited to an hour - but after that you get balance problems.

Also with larger towns, it gets rather confusing to work out why things aren't working when the sims have different levels for density, wealth, money (wealth - land value, I think), education. The data maps are good but there's more needed - what sort of education do different sims actually have? What sort of education does my oil refinery need? How many employees does it need? I can see how many it has with the data map but that's only half the picture.

As it is there are some balance issues which make towns 10,000 start to run into problems (the population:workers ratio gets increasingly wrong), over 30K and it becomes impossible to maintain a realistic town.

The size is a problem too, each town is much too small. The region system is good and when it's more responsive and more reliable, it will play well. This does go some way to negating the size problem but fundamentally it will never be enough.

I could list a load more little things that bother me and I can't think of many I especially like but on the whole, it is good. When it works, it's brilliant and if they fix the servers and patch the game play, it could work all the time for all city sizes.

However, it will only ever be SimSeveralSmallTowns, never SimCity. And it will still be always-online.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2013, 15:06.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: SimCity Online Mar 12, 2013, 14:24 Quboid

Blatent gashcrab.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 13:54 Quboid

NKD wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:11:
Beamer wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:08:

Yeah, I'm hearing anecdotal evidence extremely to the contrary, but you're right, I shouldn't base anything on that.

Clearly there's a ton of FUD going around. If that's contrary to what you're experiencing then I'm way off.

I don't have any personal experience. I imagine most of us don't since we've hopefully dodged this mess, but what I've heard is that you get dropped after a preset period of time, but up until then everything works short of regional syncing.

Anyone here who has played who can confirm?

I've gotten messages saying my connection has been lost and found from time to time. It's never impacted my gameplay, but then I've never tried going into region view. As I'm the only person playing the region, things like available power/water/etc from other cities will remain constant so it only needs to load that data once, when loading the city.

I could see this would be a bigger problem if others played in the same region. You buy power from a neighbour, one or both of you get disconnected, he expands his city slowly so he's got no excess power then when the connection is back, boom, no power for sale. If the connection was stable, you'd start getting warnings when he couldn't supply 100% of required power but with either disconnected, this could be 0%!

In the case where my computer crashes (due to an unrelated issue, I believe), when I reboot I can pick up where I left off. That's nice. In the old style save/load, I've have lost everything since the last autosave - I'd still *much* rather have that, but the new system isn't quite all bad. Presumably if my computer crashes at the same time as I'm disconnected from their servers, I will lose anything since the disconnection.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 12, 2013, 11:28 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:11:
Quboid wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:02:
A fix for this and a significant improvement to traffic (which would be all the more important with more people going to work) and then SimSeveralSmallTowns would actually be a really good single player game ... ruined by the DRM of course.

Why did you even buy it?

I messed up. For some stupid reason I thought the online features were optional. I'd read the original reports but for some reason doubted them. Even if I had a valid reason for doubting them (I honestly don't remember what I was thinking), it was a mistake not to look into it before preordering. I was impulsive and I won't make that mistake again.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 11:02 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 10:46:
LoL, joking aside I pulled this from the comments sections below the article:

WHO CARES ABOUT THE DAMN SERVERS, I have played the game for ~50 hrs and let me tell you at the CORE it is ROTTEN and BROKEN as a city simulation.

a) Only 10% of your workforce will actually WORK. 90% are retirees supposably. So you will ALWAYS have high demand for workers and everyone will complain that they are broke once you reach tier 3. Numerical density development of your town is F************** beyond low wealth initial starting where a more REASONABLE 66% of your population WORKS.
[...]
f) there is no undo button. No way to get cash back for incorrect placement of buildings
[...]

Hmmm....

I've found point A to be a game breaker. At 1000 sims, I have 40% workers. Great! At 10,000 sims, I have 25% workers. Hmm. At 50,000 sims, I have 12% workers, and shops and industry closing because they can't find employees, and then people moving out because they can't find anywhere to go shopping, and more shops closing because now there's even fewer shoppers.

A fix for this and a significant improvement to traffic (which would be all the more important with more people going to work) and then SimSeveralSmallTowns would actually be a really good single player game ... ruined by the DRM of course.

I haven't played multiplayer but some of the server-side stuff has caused problems. This is probably because of the high load which is a reason, but not a justification. Movement of sims between cities is poor, movement of resources can be unreliable and gifts can go missing. I sent $2,500,000 from a big industrial city to a new city to create a utopia and it never arrived. That money's gone.

Point F would also be nice. It's hard to precisely place many buildings and being a tiny bit off can wreak your plan.

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
93. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 21:00 Quboid

I get the impression that the region system is server side, going by the lag as much as anything, and I've no doubt creating an offline version wouldn't be simple. It's not just a switch. It's probably not even Windows code.

However, it's nothing that couldn't be done better offline. The amount of processing per region is minute, individually it would barely register on a computer. Of course, if you have thousands running at once on the same computer, then it might slow down.

I believe that a large part of the simulation runs server side, however this is only because they deliberately made it that way. Apparently there's some sort of economy going on ... I haven't noticed any thing.

The only parts which actually need to be run on a central server? Leaderboards ... a pointless feature they switched off to save their servers. Fucktards.

I'm sorry I bought this game. I should have checked properly, I thought the reports of the always-on requirement were FUD, and then I forgot about them.

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
79. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 18:05 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 10:26:
Sadly, EA seems to have failed to do some very simple math. Let’s look at an example. We’ll assume that for an amazingly successful game like SimCity, about 20,000 people will end up pirating it (those who have the technical knowhow and Internet savvy to find a working crack). I have 160,000 Twitter followers, of whom around 50,000 follow me for gaming. I just told those 50,000 people NOT to buy SimCity because EA cannot handle its s***, and the game is unplayable. We’ll say half those people listen to me and haven’t bought the game already. Soooo, carrying the pi, we see that EA is already out 5,000 more sales than if they had just created a normal, single player offline capable game with multiplayer components.

I doubt just 20K people would have pirated it, but on the flipside, most of those pirating it wouldn't have bought it anyway (and likely haven't done so right now.)

But if he gets half his followers to not buy something who otherwise probably would have bought it (had he given it a glowing endorsement), that's a big chunk of cash right there.

So, good job on skimping on server hardware, EA. I'm sure that's made you a ton of money.

Creston

20K is ridiculously low. Plus, he's implying that each one is a lost sale. If he means 20,000 lost sales then that's more realistic, although I'd still guess it would be a lot higher.

That's looking at it the wrong way anyway. EA should be looking at increasing customers, not decreasing pirates - they don't actually matter. They should do that by making great games which get a great response, SimSeveralSmallTowns is a good game and with balance tweaks could be a great game but thanks to their own stupidity, has deservedly got a terrible response.

I've no doubt it's selling well to casual gamers and idiots *ahem* including me *ahem* but these groups will both be less likely to get DLC or SimSeveralSmallTowns 2. It's fair to criticise publishers for thinking short-term, but killing off a good franchise isn't good in the short term and isn't good for your CV. How do you think "SimCity senior producer and network coordinator" is going to look on some schmuck's résumé.

Pirates don't matter in and of themselves. Lost sales due to piracy do, but to state the obvious: how many people who would have pirates instead of buying are buying it now?

- Quboid

77. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 17:53 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 10:16:
EA backing down from promises? Say it aint so.....*yawn*

This is what they said yesterday:
We have no intention of offlining SimCity any time soon but we'll look into that as part of our earning back your trust efforts.

That isn't a promise. In fact, it isn't a damn thing.

- Quboid

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
68. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 14:05 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 12:26:
Quboid wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 12:19:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:10:
Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:58:
Yes, it was pretty dumb of me. I preordered before the DRM was made public I was aware of the DRM.

It's been known nearly since the announcement and certainly before pre-orders were available.

Possibly. I was aware that it had online features, which I took to mean you can put a screenshot of your city on Facebook or something like that. I didn't realise it was always-on until months after the pre-order. Perhaps I missed something.

A little less than a month after it was announced:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/131125/new-simcity-only-playable-online

edit: Wait! You're the third damn post in that thread:
"Awwwwww what the fuck EA. Has it come to this? I was just defending you pricks. If this is true, I sincerely hope this utterly bombs and proves me wrong."

I wish you woulda kept that opinion.

Damn I remember that now. WTF. I really messed this all up. EA must be laughing their asses off at people like me

I vaguely remember reading that this had been dispelled but I've no idea where. Evidently it was wrong, if it even existed at all, or more likely I read it wrong. Me dun stoopid.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2013, 14:16.

- Quboid

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
62. Re: EA Will Mar 11, 2013, 12:19 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:10:
Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:58:
Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:42:
Quboid wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 16:47:
There's enough dislike of the online requirement. Even when the anger settles, the hatred of any unnecessary always-on requirement in any game will keep this going.

I'm still annoyed that Anno 2070 has (had?) an always-on requirement. I passed on an Anno game for the first time. I think I heard they were patching the requirement out but I don't know if they delivered.

I'm currently in a queue to get onto my server. Shame, because SimSeveralSmallTowns is actually a really good game. Fix the traffic, fix the population:workers ratio and give us larger cities. For free.

You passed on Anno 2070 but bought this Simcity?

Gamers are funny.

Yes, it was pretty dumb of me. I preordered before the DRM was made public I was aware of the DRM.

It's been known nearly since the announcement and certainly before pre-orders were available.

Possibly. I was aware that it had online features, which I took to mean you can put a screenshot of your city on Facebook or something like that. I didn't realise it was always-on until months after the pre-order. Perhaps I missed something.

- Quboid

3931 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 48.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo