Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3922 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
37. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 18:21 Quboid

I wonder how many competitors are working on VR headsets right now. Sony are, but who else? I'd be surprised if there wasn't several others at least experimenting with serious alternatives. For that matter, how many engineers have suggested working on VR recently only to get refused funding, and who are now have two billion reasons to feel vindicated.

The excitement around the Oculus Rift before Facebook stepped in tells me that there is a market. It won't sell to billions of people but it could be a significant step. The fact that Facebook valued Oculus at $2B will encourage a lot of others, engineers and venture capitalists, to put effort into this field.

I want Oculus to ship CV1 and hopefully CV2 and CV3 before Facebook interferes too much. After that, I hope they'll have opened the door for others.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 27, 2014, 18:45 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 18:30:
netnerd85 wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 11:07:
Good on Notch for sticking to his values.

Regardless if he brings MC to OR or not, it will be on OR. It's too open for him to prevent modders from converting it. In fact, I heard there's been a version for a while.

That's Minecrift, Notch mentioned it at the end of his blog post. I don't think he has any particular desire to stop people using Minecraft with the Rift, just that he doesn't want to do it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
175. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 27, 2014, 12:12 Quboid

Fair points, Scheherazade. I don't really know what he means by peripheral versus dedicated system, I certainly want it to remain open to all but if they decide that integrating sound is better than us using our own headphones, I would expect them to have their reasons and hear them out, no pun intended.

This is looking longer term than I was, which I've stated in the past but should have made clear in the post you quoted. The future of Oculus was always up in the air and I thought this was inevitable at some point - I'm just surprised by who (not a hardware company) and when (no products released).

With that in mind, I've always been looking at the Oculus Rift in the fairly short term (the next 5 years) and what it leads to with VR in general in the longer term. Whether the Rift would have been relevant in 5 or 10 years was never a big concern personally. Their grass roots were all very lovely and I still wish them well but they've sold my goodwill and any bit of brand loyalty I may have had.

This takeover has accelerated my feeling that the Rift will lose relevance (now more like 2 or 3 years). If they close it off, if they include headphones so they can justify charging more rather than for virtual presence reasons, if they make you sign into Facebook, etc, I will replacing my ageing Oculus Rift CV1 with someone else's VR headset. I just want Facebook to not screw this up until they get a consumer version or two released.

I wouldn't expect Sony to be particularly open with their system either but I could see someone like Razer or Logitech jumping in with 2 feet and catering to the enthusiast market.

Creston wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 11:54:
Yes, cliffyb, I'm sure Notch is EXTREMELY worried about what your irrelevant ass thinks of him.

He's not wrong. I don't expect Notch cares much but IMHO Notch does look a bit childish here.

- Quboid

172. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 27, 2014, 10:05 Quboid

GL1zdA wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 07:38:
Cliffy on Oculus Acquisition:
http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/80832803371

I know he's not Mr. Popular but I think he's spot on on pretty much every point.

- Quboid

164. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 23:26 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 23:04:
So yay, now you'll get a Facebook VR headset for your iphone to play fucking fappy bird on.

Weep. Weep for humanity.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 26, 2014, 22:35 Quboid

He should try Papers Please. He'd be rich in no time.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Titanfall Cheaters Must Play With Themselves
12. Re: Titanfall Cheaters Must Play With Themselves Mar 26, 2014, 21:32 Quboid

Microsoft have talked about doing this on Live with griefers. I think people who get constantly reported for team-killing or misbehaving are to be matched with each other.  

- Quboid

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 18:33 Quboid

Fion wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 18:24:
I can see were the article is going, and the writer is probably correct as to Facebook's goals with the Occulus Rift, as the next technology advancement in social connection.

IMHO the Rift won't really work for gaming until a new way of controlling gaming space is introduced. Keyboard/Mouse may be the best controls for gaming but they suck with the Rift (or so I've read), and console controllers aren't that much better.

Something like Haptic Adaptive gloves or Minority Report style nodes on the fingers combined with a tech were gestures are coded to specific actions.

I can totally see games like in the movie Her working with the Rift, and that potential isn't gone IMHO. After all, Nvidia isn't making all the PC games, other companies are formed to make the games for Nvidia hardware. It'll be the same for Rift, even if it's owned by Facebook. It may not be for the Occulus Rift that becomes the major peripheral as competition is already springing up, and that competition can only lead to better things.

I won't be rushing out to buy these as fast as I probably will the Rift, but I may be tempted by the Sixense STEM System:
http://sixense.com/hardware/wireless

An older version of these were sold as the Razer Hydras, but they didn't do well and are out of production. The Rift has seen an increase in interest and the follow-up could be a hit. Wireless is a big plus for me, cables + moving arms + covered eyes = tangle.

I don't think anyone playing with the Stem will have a prayer against someone with KB&M in an FPS. It's an interesting concept but only for single player or with/against other Stem players.

- Quboid

156. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 18:27 Quboid

Prez wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 18:11:
InBlack wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 04:12:
Prez wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 03:46:
Two things I don't understand: why everyone is so excited about wearing this goofy bulky thing on their head and looking like a tool and why everyone is so upset that Facebook bought it.

So, basically everything about this story.

Can you see in 3d Prez? (As in do you have depth perception)

In real life? Yep. And I don't have to wear some silly gizmo that makes me look like a Robocop wannabe to do it!

Who cares what you look like?

Aside from having the self confidence to wear this no problem, not many people are going to see you. It's not like Google Glass which is made for wearing out and about; I don't expect to (intentionally) leave my seat.

Also the idea, Facebook's dystopian future if you will, is that everybody will be wearing one and what you look like physically is no longer relevant. Three Likes for Emperor Zuckerberg! Like! Like! Like!

- Quboid

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 16:48 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 16:20:
Quboid wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 10:16:
Who would have paid $2B for the iPhone before it was released? Who wouldn't pay that now? Of course for every gamble that pays off quite a few fail, as the article points out, but I think it comes down to Facebook gambling that this will go further than anyone really understands at this point.

Yeah, but everyone needs a phone. This is a very niche product even amongst gamers. So Occulus has no patents and a tech that's easily reproducible by larger companies like Sony, MS, Samsung, et al. And FB paid 2 billion for this? That's just laughable - unless your an FB stockholder in which case it's time get rid of Zuckerberg.

Rewind 10 years:

Everyone needs a basic phone. This souped up iPod Touch is a very niche product even amongst smartphone users (upon launch, the iPhone lacked functionality that others had; 3G and app store for example).

I'm not saying this will be as big as the iPhone. I'm saying that there is a chance that it will be a lot bigger than $2B. Why buy Oculus rather than do you own stuff for a tenth of the price? I don't know. Oculus might own key patents but surely they're not that valuable (not according to HorrorScope in the Facebook & Oculus thread).

Is being first to market worth that much? That's all I can think of. I don't think I've heard anyone actually try the Oculus Rift and not consider it to be absolutely amazing. Even those who quickly got nauseated hailed it and the later prototypes have improved this aspect. Perhaps Facebook want the wow factor to get the initial momentum.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 2014, 17:04.

- Quboid

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 15:48 Quboid

Well, Facebook do love to track their users and what's the latest tracking technology that's making waves? Yep, the Oculus Rift. It all makes sense now!  

- Quboid

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 13:27 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 13:18:
Julio wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 12:57:
Facebook bought Oculus to monetize all that previously private data it can collect.

This makes absolutely no sense but I shouldn't expect anything more.

Facebook are teh evil with our super secret info, therefore Facebook will be teh evil with our super secret info. Duh, Beamer, that's obvious.

- Quboid

140. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 12:37 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 12:32:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 07:43:
Valve VR will fix this.

They just gave their top VR guy and their stuff to OR just a week or two ago.

Valve would have been the best company for us to have purchased Palmer.

Facebook on the lower end.

Worst contrary to Forbes would have been MS. They would have bogart'd that on the Bone. The reason they didn't buy is the Bone isn't strong enough to drive it.

If Palmer is true to his words, this could still work out. Just a total 180 turn on us, my neck still hurts.

It's of some comfort to me that it's not MS, Google, Valve or worst of all, Apple. These are companies used to hardware who are more likely to think that they know best. I hope the owner of Oculus VR realises that their best bet is to stay the hell out of the way and Facebook are IMHO the most likely to do that.

- Quboid

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 10:43 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 10:40:
Quick question, why do you believe that Facebook is the most evil corporation in the world? How is it any less or more evil than Sony, or Microsoft for that matter??

I was being facetious, based on the reaction by many in the "Facebook & Oculus" thread (post #90, for example, although it's not entirely serious either). I'm glad it's Facebook and not MS or Google. VR is so separate from Facebook's business that they might actually have the sense to leave it alone for a bit.

- Quboid

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 26, 2014, 10:16 Quboid

That Oculus article sums up my feelings pretty well. I was initially disgusted but the more I think about it, the less I care. The noises they are making is that it will be business as usual - I fully expect this will prove to be bullshit in due course, but that doesn't matter as long as it's true now and they ship as good a CV1 as we expect. Get CV1 out, maybe CV2 and CV3 as well, prove that there's the tech and the market and then we can go our separate ways.

The medium and long term future of Oculus VR was always up in the air and this sort of takeover was fairly inevitable at some point. I'd have liked it to have not happened for a few years but it's unlikely that $2B would ever be waved under their noses again. It's much more likely that in 5 years, Oculus VR would have been squeezed by Sony, Samsung, Apple, MS and everyone else and the shell of Oculus VR would have been sold off for a mere few hundred million.

Now it's relatively secure ... but not in a good way. It's more likely to be around in 5 years, but it's less likely to be relevant to us. That doesn't matter IMHO, other HMDs will come along that are even better and not owned by the most evil corporation in the world.

As for why Facebook are buying, I think the article also nails why:
At this point, it's a bit hard to imagine virtual reality headsets creating a revolution in technology that's on par with the seismic shift that smartphones and tablets have created during the last few years. Then again, it was hard for many to envision the central role that mobile technology would play in our lives back in early 2007, when the iPhone looked to some like a foolish overreach from the makers of a popular MP3 player.

Who would have paid $2B for the iPhone before it was released? Who wouldn't pay that now? Of course for every gamble that pays off quite a few fail, as the article points out, but I think it comes down to Facebook gambling that this will go further than anyone really understands at this point.

- Quboid

120. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 08:50 Quboid

hello newman wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 08:00:
No, because for the fifty billionth time a kickstarter pledge is not an investment.

That's just words man.
A KS pledge is MONEY. And Oculus invested it.
It's not an investment for YOU (since you were not given shares) but it is money to spend for THEM.

If you wish we can go into the economics of preorders and such and why they kinda suck, but for now, i'm sure you can see that Oculus got their money from gamers who wanted a gaming device (not a social device), made prototypes with that money, made publicity and whatnot with that money and now they are selling to Facebook and turning into a social thing instead of a gaming thing. They are pretty much screwing their hardcore gamer supporters.

This sale is made possible by the money of the Kickstarter supporters.
And I BET that at least half of those supporters would not have pledged money for Facebook...

Can you see now the problem ?

This is the problem we've been warning about ever since Kickstarter became news on the gaming scene: people giving money and not understanding what they were getting into.

The info on the KS page is what you're paying for and I haven't check but I doubt "we'll stay independent for at least 5 years" was there. The stuff in the tier that you purchase is what you're buying. You're not buying squat in terms of say in the future of the company and anyone who spends money, be it $10 or $10,000, needs to understand this. If anyone feels screwed by this then they're fools who didn't know what they were buying in the first place.

I understand why there is a backlash from Kickstarter 'investors' but I have absolutely zero sympathy for them.

- Quboid

64. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 23:25 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 23:16:
Time is money. So why would you develop anything for this unless it was guaranteed income?

Ah yes, the Call Of Duty business model. It's about time that got some love on here.

- Quboid

59. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 23:05 Quboid

DangerDog wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 22:49:
http://brandsumo.com/files/facebookvr.jpg

got to recoup that 2billion somehow right?

That's depressing. Not what the picture shows but that the picture exists. It's disappointing that Facebook has bought Oculus but perspective is needed and this is only going to discourage content creation.

I fear some developers could really lose out by over-reacting to this and ditching Rift support, only to be left behind. Even if the Rift is a disaster, it has already shown enough that alternatives are surely being designed right now. Developing for VR is worth considering and that means developing for the Rift at this moment in time, even if you don't intend to include Rift support when you actually ship your software. It would be a shame if some really good content never got made because the developer got cold feet and missed the boat.

- Quboid

57. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 22:59 Quboid

Notch mentioned this too:
And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition.

Unless the KS specifically stated that they weren't going to sell up, yes you did. Kickstarter is 50% pre-order, 50% charity, 0% investment, 0% say in matters.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Mar 25, 2014, 22:56 Quboid

It's either Satan, or perhaps the problem is that no one else sees much potential in a game based a fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible. It's hard to say for sure which it is but one can only assume that their confidence in their product and themselves is well placed - after all, who knows them better than themselves?  

- Quboid

3922 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo