Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4821 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 21, 2015, 17:43 Quboid

Article titles are too small on my phone. Their font size is absolute, not relative, so they don't scale for high PPI devices. IIRC there was a rendering bug in some ancient browsers that made relative sizes in H1/etc tags awkward which is presumably why absolute sizes were used but I don't think this matters any more.

Instead of 16px for the title and 10px for the post date/links, font sizes of 100% and 62.5% should look the same on desktops and scale accordingly on mobiles. (Scaling by 100% sounds pointless but it over-rides the browser's default 150% scaling for H2 fonts.)

Hiding the sidebar on mobiles would help too, maybe with a link to advanced search in place of the PDA link.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 22:49 Quboid

NKD wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 21:15:
Quboid wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 20:50:
That's not feminism NKD, that's a lunatic fringe. Do you really mean to say that feminists are racist?

The label 'feminism' is rather toxic thanks to idiots like the Comic Expo people (although I would not be at all surprised if there was more to the story and unless the expo lasted 47 seconds that clip doesn't clear anyone), but I am a feminist and I can assure you, I don't get patted on the back. If anything, "social justice" is more likely to be casually dismissed in someone's signature...!

Yeah it IS the lunatic fringe. Because that's apparently the only group allowed a voice. Anyone who tries to be moderate or to engage in reasoned debate is shut down and cast out of the in-group. The biggest social media personalities and the biggest scholars in feminism ALL adhere to the "listen and believe" philosophy that rejects debate and characterizes any criticism as harassment. If your criticism is friendly and attempts to engage in a mature manner, then you're just called a sea lion or whatever.

Like it or not the only brand of feminism that has any public profile is the social media/Patreon in-crowd. You can claim it's not true feminism, but it's the only feminism people are exposed to.

The whole "No True Scotsman" fallacy is particularly applicable there.

I didn't mean that they're not feminists, I don't think there's any such thing as "true feminism". I meant that they're far from all of feminism and I don't think feminism should be defined solely by them. I wasn't clear, sorry.

Is this the only feminism that you're exposed to? Ever heard of Malala Yousafzai? You flatter them (although I'm not really sure who 'they' are). They don't control your voice, no one is stopping you from discussing the actual issues except you. Well, maybe now me.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 20:50 Quboid

That's not [edit: representative of] feminism NKD, that's a lunatic fringe. Do you really mean to say that feminists are racist?

The label 'feminism' is rather toxic thanks to idiots like the Comic Expo people (although I would not be at all surprised if there was more to the story and unless the expo lasted 47 seconds that clip doesn't clear anyone), but I am a feminist and I can assure you, I don't get patted on the back. If anything, "social justice" is more likely to be casually dismissed in someone's signature...!

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2015, 22:52.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 10:12 Quboid

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 09:53:
It doesn't matter how much money anyone offers, Sarkeesian has staunchly avoided any form of actual debate or even questions that aren't scripted and pre-approved first. Actual feminist scholars with real academic credentials have also offered to debate her and she just ignored it. Her entire model is dependent on people not scrutinizing or questioning her because due to her self-admitted lack of actual knowledge of the medium she covers, she is unable to handle debate outside her core, scripted talking points. Her entire business model is centered around the "listen and believe" mentality she totes and merely speaking without ever having to listen back. If that changes, her house of cards will not stand.

I think video games have a lot of work to do with regards to better representation. She's not the person who should be leading that charge.

Well said.

I have defended her on here because I don't agree with claimed facts or because I don't agree with how agreed facts are interpreted but I don't like her and while I agree with the general point of hers that women aren't well represented in games, I don't agree with much of the detail in regard to both the examples she uses and the conclusions that she reaches - from what I've seen of her work, which frankly isn't that much.

To be clear, I personally don't think that this proves that she's not in it for the money if she ignores it because such an aggressive editorial (it's barely an invitation) doesn't warrant a response. The only people who would benefit from her acknowledging this offer's existence is Breitbart.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 09:24 Quboid

Damnit Brietbard, some of us would actually like a debate. I'd love to see someone put Sarkeesian in her place but they're making it impossible. I've no idea if they're doing it intentionally to spite her or if they actually think that this is a good idea but this is desperately ill-conceived.

If they really wanted a debate, they shouldn't have put it in such a ridiculous article that attacks her so often. Even if this stuff was true, it doesn't belong in an article challenging that person to a debate because it's difficult for them to accept the invitation without implicitly agreeing to all that guff.

Now she's the winner. If she accepts, she's open minded and interested in debate. If she refuses/ignores, well, she's obviously not in this for money or publicity.

- Quboid

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
292. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 20, 2015, 08:39 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Apr 19, 2015, 23:39:
There has been far worse things said by others here over the years and continue to get away with it.

I have never seen a post on here as objectionable as yours that didn't get deleted. Never.

Redmask wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 07:27:
Don't waste your time on little krovven, hes an attention troll who just needs his fix.

Indeed. He's indignant that other people on a public message board might get involved in a discussion, yet he mocks the idea of talking in private. We're not your audience, Krovven, we're not here to applaud your wit.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 19, 2015, 22:35 Quboid

This was mid-flight, that's just stupid. It does seem like an over-reaction but I'm not surprised that some people wanted to have a word with him.  

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Apr 17, 2015, 23:36 Quboid

That's really good to hear, nice one TotalBiscuit.  

- Quboid

278. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 17, 2015, 23:27 Quboid

Quinn wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 22:57:
Fucking bullies. Every single one of you taking shit out on Krovven. Take a step back -- or a step up, for that matter.. be meta -- and see that the original conflict started with SOMEONE ELSE acting sanctimonious, not Krovven. He acted accordingly, like any self-respecting person would.. and only made the little mistake of insulting someone back in a more loud-mouth albeit more honest fashion. Blue jumped on that, Krovven called Blue on the hypocrisy (lets be fair, nin can quote someone and edit what they said to make them look like insane fucks and nothing happens) and the rest just kicked the guy down and continued kicking like a lynch mob; like animals. It's disgusting.

I reported the first post (not the second, guess he's got multiple fans) because it was just pointless abuse and while much of this thread hasn't been a happy place, I felt it crossed the line. It was certainly a heck of a lot more than calling someone a douche and treating those posts as remotely the same is unreasonable - as he knows perfectly well.

Krovven has consistently been rude or unnecessarily aggressive and he deserves to be called out on it by anyone. This is not a one time thing, this is not a few posters, this is pattern and he just comes across as incredibly childish - an insult he's oddly attached to considering his love of mindless insults.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 17, 2015, 23:07 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 22:19:
I might need to pick up a new vid card, and the 970 is certainly the sweet spot for price performance. Is the 3.5 gb of mem going to be a big deal, instead of the full 4?

I'm getting about 80 FPS at 1440p, most settings at max but not advanced settings or MSAA, which are both off/minimum. The options menu says I'm using about 2.6GB VRAM. I could put on 2x MSAA but I don't want my framerate to let me down when things get extra busy.

(Intel i7 3.5Ghz, Geforce 970, 16GB, Win 8.1 on SSD, game installed on HDD)

It's incredibly impressive that they got (something approaching) this on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

- Quboid

News Comments > POSTAL 2: Paradise Lost DLC Released
2. Re: POSTAL 2: Paradise Lost DLC Released Apr 17, 2015, 22:47 Quboid

POSTAL 2's "overwhelmingly positive" status on Steam (95%+ on over 9000 user reviews)

It's been out for ages, virtually everyone buying it will be a fan of the series re-buying a digital copy. Of course people will vote in favour of it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 12:41 Quboid

Verno wrote on Apr 16, 2015, 11:18:
Wake me up when its football time again

I can play baseball, its fun. I can't watch baseball, its really boring as anything other than background while I do something else.

Wolfsburg against Napoli kicks off in just over 2 hours.

Wiseguy

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
15. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2015, 22:39 Quboid

NamecaF wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 20:41:
Quboid wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 12:17:
NamecaF wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 03:11:
Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 02:21:
NKD wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 23:44:
nin wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 21:19:
Man, I love R*. I'm sure I sound like a total fanboy, and I don't care. When it comes to GTA, they deliver!

At least you recognize that you're a shill. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

You do realize that shills get paid, right? People just throw that word around willy nilly and they have no idea what it means.

Umm, I think you're the clueless one as that is not true at all.

Yes it is. That's what I always took it to mean and Wikipedia, The Oxford English Dictionary and Merriam-Webster all agree.

Well, Merriam Webster is an American dictionary and we all know Americans don't know proper English

But Oxford clearly defines a Shill as...

noun
1 An accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others: I used to be a shill in a Reno gambling club figurative the agency is a shill for the nuclear power industry

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/shill

You can be an accomplice without gaining any monetary reward.

Well it's a deal so some sort of reward is heavily implied, but it's not essential. I suppose the association is the key and Rockstar don't know nin exists, never mind working with him as an accomplice. Sorry dude, they don't love you back

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Apr 15, 2015, 12:17 Quboid

NamecaF wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 03:11:
Agent.X7 wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 02:21:
NKD wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 23:44:
nin wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 21:19:
Man, I love R*. I'm sure I sound like a total fanboy, and I don't care. When it comes to GTA, they deliver!

At least you recognize that you're a shill. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

You do realize that shills get paid, right? People just throw that word around willy nilly and they have no idea what it means.

Umm, I think you're the clueless one as that is not true at all.

Yes it is. That's what I always took it to mean and Wikipedia, The Oxford English Dictionary and Merriam-Webster all agree.

- Quboid

News Comments > Project CARS Specs & 12K Support
5. Re: Project CARS Specs & 12K Support Apr 15, 2015, 09:44 Quboid

11520 x 6480, I presume.

"frame-rate dependent on PC hardware"

Yes, yes I imagine it is.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V
67. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 14, 2015, 23:10 Quboid

siapnar wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 22:56:
After all the pains I went through to get this working, it is well fucking worth it. Game is unbelievably good. Attention to detail is what astounds me.
How do they even optimize a game like this? Crazy
Caladell wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 20:13:
I can't even get the thing to run. Well, it starts up, and I can go through all the settings and such, but I can't actually play. Start the story mode, and it just sits there loading forever. At one point last night, I let it sit there for over an hour, and it still never loaded.
Trying various things again today, but so far, no luck.

[edit] Also, how do you go about playing online? Do you have to play the story for a bit? I see no option for online.

Try this solution

I had zlib errors and a couple of endless loading screens before doing this and no problems since. Four files were corrupt.

Remember to check any files that you re-download, one of mine was corrupt and needed re-re-downloaded.

- Quboid

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Sells 1M
2. Re: Cities: Skylines Sells 1M Apr 14, 2015, 21:38 Quboid

Well done Colossal Order!

I'm not surprised that it is maintaining sales, without a well known developer or title plenty of people will have waited for word of mouth or simply not have heard of it before launch. Until a couple of months ago I had been confusing it with Cities XL.

- Quboid

22. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 14, 2015, 12:24 Quboid

siapnar wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 11:28:
Quboid wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 10:58:
I'm getting frequent crashes with an error about a failed zlib call. When it works, it works well. I can get 60 FPS at 1440p and most settings on highest (but no MSAA), although I haven't been involved in a big fire-fight yet. Intel i7 3.5Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 970 3.5GB, Windows 8.1.

If I was going to upgrade my system for GTA5, I'd buy another SSD and install it there.

Check this thread

Thanks. I'm working through that now and there's already been a few mismatched checksums. I did get a blue screen of death while downloading - I didn't even know that was a thing in Windows 8.1 - so I'm guessing it didn't resume quite as smoothly as I had thought.

- Quboid

12. Re: Ship Ahoy - PC Grand Theft Auto V Apr 14, 2015, 10:58 Quboid

I'm getting frequent crashes with an error about a failed zlib call. When it works, it works well. I can get 60 FPS at 1440p and most settings on highest (but no MSAA), although I haven't been involved in a big fire-fight yet. Intel i7 3.5Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 970 3.5GB, Windows 8.1.

If I was going to upgrade my system for GTA5, I'd buy another SSD and install it there.

- Quboid

211. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 14, 2015, 09:52 Quboid

Verno wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 09:06:
So what's the verdict on the port, worth picking up?

First impressions: big improvement over GTA IV. That game had flaws that made it unplayable for me (bad vehicle handling, bad camera, bad performance) and all 3 of those have improved a lot.

This have been some glitches but nothing serious so far (*first* impressions!). The biggest was the benchmark crapping out, it plays the single player intro cutscene and my guess is it isn't supposed to and doesn't if you've started the single player campaign.

- Quboid

4821 Comments. 242 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo