Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4843 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming
19. Re: Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming May 9, 2015, 11:32 Quboid

Slashman wrote on May 9, 2015, 11:14:
It's a weird thing, but most people assume things about Steam and Valve without actually going to the Steam page for developers and reading what they offer. Steam really seems to be the best game in town when it comes to pricing and all the perks that devs get for free from them.

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/

I didn't check that because I assume it is for small developers, and publishers or people with an established product could negotiate better terms - but that says that it's free and I doubt anyone is negotiating themselves a worse deal. Thanks.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming May 9, 2015, 10:04 Quboid

Dev wrote on May 9, 2015, 09:28:
Quboid wrote on May 9, 2015, 08:58:
Do you have a source for this? It makes sense as Valve are clearly determined to get people on to their service but I'd like to know for sure. I'd be very surprised if Frontier are paying Valve the full 30%.
Not really any official source, but think of all the steam key giveaways of crappy non selling games that sometimes happen. Or when companies do something like this, giving keys away to people who purchased elsewhere.
Most couldn't afford that if steam charged anything.
I also know that for mobile kickstarters, almost no one gives away keys to a mobile game on itunes because they DO charge for all keys. So you end up paying in the kickstarter once, then paying again for the game when it's released on itunes.

So all the evidence points to no cost steam keys.

That makes sense. As well as getting people on to their service, Valve will benefit from any DLC sales these customers go on to buy in Steam. It's worth it to them to take the bandwidth hit and while Frontier could probably afford to pay something, many developers couldn't.

Speaking of bandwidth, it occurred to me that Steam Sale server problems seem to be a thing of the past. A few years ago, each sale would result in their store dying all over the place and downloads slowing but this hasn't been the case for the last year or two.

- Quboid

12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming May 9, 2015, 08:58 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on May 9, 2015, 04:47:
Well, Steam is getting their cut from copies sold through them. And I'm sure they'd rather have people using Steam to access their game than not. It's pretty well-known among indie devs that free keys is a solid perk they offer compared to other services that may charge you a fee and/or have a limit on how many free ones you get. They don't charge for activation of Steamworks games sold through retail or other digital stores, either. They serve dozens of petabytes of data per week... All 300+ thousand of those pre-Steam Elite players would have to download the game at once to even make a blip. This is how they grow the user base; eating some bandwidth costs here and there is more than made up for by attracting more people that will stick around and buy stuff, etc.

Do you have a source for this? It makes sense as Valve are clearly determined to get people on to their service but I'd like to know for sure. I'd be very surprised if Frontier are paying Valve the full 30%.

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black May 8, 2015, 23:13 Quboid

nin wrote on May 8, 2015, 22:49:
jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2015, 22:20:
Guy is lucky he wasn't killed. Wonder what made him pass out like that? Also, is it just me, or is that a weird place to have a dashcam? Can't even call it a dashcam, more like a B-pillar cam. Why would you ever mount a camera there?

Also, check out this footage of an asshole camaro causing an accident after being egged on by an asshole truck.

Scary to begin with, but once it turned and started heading back towards the highway - yikes!

edit: And holy hell, they camero owner deserves every bit of pain and suffering he gets. Love to see if that made the news, and the aftermath.

Camero driver arrested and charged.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 8, 2015, 19:23 Quboid

Were all toys categorised? That limits things for Amazon. Putting 80% of Lego in the boys' section and 20% in the girls' just sounds bad for business. OTOH if not all toys are categorised, the search categories are rather pointless.

The division seems pointless. Even if boys and girls need to be defined, why did Amazon ever bother to be the ones to do it?

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews May 8, 2015, 18:21 Quboid

Fletch wrote on May 8, 2015, 17:46:
Cutter wrote on May 8, 2015, 17:07:
Why do you even bother with these Conan shill pieces? It's no secret he's paid $10's of $1000s for these shill segments.

I guess he must do his regular show for free, huh? How can anyone think he's funny when he's obviously getting paid?

If it's a review, getting paid by the publisher isn't right. If it's a comedy piece - which it is - it shouldn't be under Game Reviews. You can be funny and get paid but you can't be independent and get paid.

I don't think that this is supposed to be seen as independent so it's not even a shill piece IMHO, just a paid-for skit.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2015, 09:36 Quboid

It doesn't say that at all, InBlack. He is advocating more checks and saying that Valve's idea of an open Steam is a bad idea.

Also, I think that game did not get Greenlit. It was on Greenlight, but it was pulled before its campaign had a chance to succeed or fail.

- Quboid

News Comments > AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible
12. Re: AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible May 7, 2015, 12:02 Quboid

I compared it to taxes on physical goods and iTunes because I think these should be taxes the same regardless of [1 dimensional interpretation of] ideology. As in, if you think there should be more tax, both should be taxed. If you think there should be less tax, neither should be taxed.

Zarkonis, Julio, would you agree with that? That these should be treated the same way as physical goods and iTunes content, regardless of what we each think this tax level should be?

- Quboid

News Comments > AU Tax on Digital Purchases Possible
5. Why not? May 7, 2015, 10:36 Quboid

I don't see any reason why these goods should be excluded from taxes that items bought in Australia or on iTunes are subjected to. I had assumed that an actual tax was the reason for the existing price increase so if this isn't the case and publishers are just fleecing customers down under, that's what needs to change.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 4, 2015, 16:35 Quboid

panbient wrote on May 4, 2015, 15:44:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 4, 2015, 15:27:

Maybe the anxiety aspect is why so many pro gamers take anti-anxiety and adhd "medications" like adderall to improve their game and maintain focus. Legal speed.

Except the anxiety aspect is not at all specific to pro-gaming. ANY professional role that has a competitive element is going to be prone to anxiety. Seems to me one of the most common aspects of pro-athletes regardless of specific sport is their ability to stay cool under pressure.

What baffled me most from that article was the fact that he's apparently getting paid between $60 and $100k a year yet still 'needs' to share an apartment with 5 others...

It's not just pro-gamers who take these meds - Bankers too, from OotB a few days ago.

I'm sure this isn't in any dictionary but I've heard it said that skill is talent under pressure. I play football/soccer competitively (sadly nowhere near professionally but it's not just a kick-about) and I can do flicks and tricks in training that I couldn't do in a match because I'm too taut, too fired up, too busy and not skilful enough - and I'm one of the best players in the league (you can trust me on that, I'm from the Internet).

Maybe the team lives together to practice together all these hours? They should be able to afford a decent apartment even if that is the case so I doubt they really need to live in a cramped place. Still, I wouldn't expect them to have long careers so they're probably saving as much as they can.

- Quboid

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 4, 2015, 10:56 Quboid

MindStalker3 wrote on May 4, 2015, 09:39:
FTA: Sponsorship work adds up to 10 to 15 hours of extra work per week, according to Ruiz. That includes playing video games live on a brandís Twitch channel, filming promotional videos, doing special events, or having lunch or dinner with a sponsor.

Umm, ok, negotiating contracts, having lunch with sponsors, etc, can get annoying, but I don't see how you can say playing games and filming videos is an annoying side task as that is literally your primary job. That is exactly what you are getting paid to do.

Those activities will be very different from the sort of Repetitive Strain Injury inducing stuff that their training probably consists of.

It's hard to have any sympathy for someone who would rather be given money and then left to do what they want ... join the club buddy. Still, I don't suppose he wants sympathy and I can see how it is time that could be spent practising or dipping his hands into a bucket of ice.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2015, 09:29 Quboid

A couple of days ago I found myself wondering when Cinco de Mayo is held. That was not my finest moment.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Tips
10. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Tips May 1, 2015, 22:05 Quboid

I've had it crash my system twice today. Once when installing the latest patch my computer suddenly rebooted. Then I got into the game only for it to freeze. Audio continued for a bit and if I pressed Escape I could hear it go to the main menu but the game remained frozen on screen. I couldn't Alt-Tab, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del or Ctrl-Shift-Esc.

Mouse control is fine for me.

- Quboid

News Comments > DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley
35. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 1, 2015, 13:45 Quboid

PHJF wrote on May 1, 2015, 13:06:
The problem with tech demos is they have no scope. It's all fine and good making a perfect-looking five minute animation, but good luck developing a forty-hour RPG that looks like that.

This is why I'm wary of these videos. Never mind the API, the number of highly skilled artists required would be unaffordable.

However, it's a tech demo that demonstrates that they can push more polygons than ever before and succeeds at that IMHO. They don't elaborate on why they couldn't do this in DX11 but as Mantle has shown, there is performance to be found. I can't imagine them putting up a mediocre scene and talking about how it is performing well on midrange hardware, that's just not how PR works.

This looks as uncanny as ever IMHO, crossing this is more about animation than skin tone.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds
7. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 27, 2015, 21:16 Quboid

nin wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 21:07:
We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing.

That's putting it mildly.

Glad they reversed. I have no issue with folks making quality work getting paid, but as it was implemented, it just seemed ripe for abuse. And yeah, it didn't seem very well thought out.

Maybe next time (shudder) how about just an optional donation button.

Well put.

If they do try paid mods again (and I've little doubt that they will) they should launch it with a new title. I can see that they wouldn't want the flak to affect the game's sales, and there would still be plenty of unhappiness, but pulling the rug from under existing players' feet was a dreadful idea.

- Quboid

News Comments > Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods
20. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 19:53 Quboid

NKD wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:33:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:26:
Apparently Valve pulled out. Paid mods have been removed from the Workshop. If this is permanent or just temporary ... no confirmation yet.

reddit

Looking like it's not coming back for Skyrim according to their announcement. They do imply they'll try it elsewhere instead of dumping it on a several year old modding scene though.

They'll soon be back, and in greater numbers.

This seems like a good course of action. I'm not opposed to either modders getting paid or Bethesda and Valve getting some but I feel that the present (previous?) system is (was?) badly conceived.

Edit:
This blog post has now been updated:
Update: After discussion with Valve, and listening to our community, paid mods are being removed from Steam Workshop. Even though we had the best intentions, the feedback has been clear Ė this is not a feature you want. Your support means everything to us, and we hear you.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2015, 09:56 Quboid

Happy anniversary you two!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Car Mechanic Simulator 2015
7. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 Apr 25, 2015, 00:12 Quboid

I saw a few YouTubers play the 2014 edition, I think Worth A Buy was one. It looked very polished compared to the usual simulator tat but the actual mechanic stuff doesn't look detailed.

It did strike me that it could be a decent educational game to show kids the basics of what different parts of a car do and where they are. I wouldn't say the same for Farming Simulator.

- Quboid

News Comments > Skyrim Free Weekend
53. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 18:02 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 16:09:
Wallshadows wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 16:04:
Early access mods!

Absolutely.

Could you imagine if the next step for Skyrim was to straight up patch it so that it required Workshop and mods couldn't even be hosted on 3rd party sites like Nexus?

Not sure if someone already mentioned...but Valve has removed the "Rate" buttons on the paid content. /fail

I hope Valve is listening to the massive pushback.

I fully expect some games will lock modding down so they only work with the Workshop. It probably won't be hard to get around but who knows where this could end up. Will our Steam account be banned if we hack TES6 to allow mods from other sources?

I wonder if the rating is permanently gone or if they're just waiting for the fuss to blow over. If it's permanently gone, it's a lot harder to know which mods are worth paying for.

I don't mind modders getting paid or Valve or Bethesda getting a cut and encouraging talented modders is great but I think this is monopolistic by Valve and will do more harm than good. A donate system would have been so, so much better.

- Quboid

News Comments > Stronghold Crusader 2 Free DLC
1. Re: Stronghold Crusader 2 Free DLC Apr 24, 2015, 00:26 Quboid

Is this the patch that makes it good? Seriously? I know the initial release was panned.  

- Quboid

4843 Comments. 243 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo