Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4705 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Wargame: Red Dragon Free DLC
3. Re: Wargame: Red Dragon Free DLC Feb 10, 2015, 21:56 Quboid

I played the second one, AirLand Battle. It is an excellent RTS but it's not something to dip in and out of for a quick game. It is deep and complicated and the sheer number of units takes time to learn.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
11. Re: Game Reviews Feb 10, 2015, 19:53 Quboid

Creston wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 15:18:
Brym wrote on Feb 10, 2015, 13:09:
Eurogamer is "dropping review scores" only in the sense that they are no longer assigning numbers.

Except on Google, where their reviews still get 1 to 5 stars.

I thought this was funny: How should we score an excellent game with severe networking issues? A flawlessly polished game with a hackneyed design? A brilliantly tuned multiplayer experience with dreadful storytelling?

Well, the same way the games media always does it: Based off the size of the publisher's check.

How many big budget games do you think get paid-for positive reviews on major gaming sites like Eurogamer, IGN or Gamespot? The implication from you and from others is that this is virtually ubiquitous, is this what you believe?

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Benefit of the doubt Feb 10, 2015, 10:29 Quboid

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Eurogamer Feb 10, 2015, 10:27 Quboid

Well done Eurogamer, I'm pleased by all of their decisions. The headline point about dropping scores is good but there are more important points through out such as Metacritic's influence and publisher hosted events, which I trust about as much as pre-rendered footage.  

- Quboid

News Comments > etc., etc.
98. Re: etc., etc. Feb 9, 2015, 19:09 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 17:52:
Do games really get disproportionately criticized? Movies, TV and music have these discussions daily. Games really only has one prominent critic, and she only gets attention because, unlike movies, tv and music, people fight against her so hard.

It seems that way to me but of course there is massive sampling bias on my behalf. The impression I get is that other media has discussions on topics like feminism, whereas gaming has arguments and lectures.

Gaming has long been criticised as the demon that will rot this generation and Sarkeesian is seen as another in a long line of people who want to take our games away. She's not, but the Internet isn't good at nuance and only entirely-for or entirely-against stances seems to register to some people. There is a certain irony that the only reason I remember her name is because of people criticising her for wanting attention.

- Quboid

93. Re: etc., etc. Feb 9, 2015, 17:49 Quboid

Verno wrote on Feb 9, 2015, 12:35:
Understand when I say attention "whore" I by no means using that term as slander against her gender; I view her as an attention whore as I am a New York Pizza whore.

Absolutely and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone is really having a debate over these things either, its just causing polarization and conflict. What frustrates me is how one sided it is, people don't give the industry any credit. The gaming industry is still young but despite that has grown significantly in terms of gender specific offerings and representation over the past 10 years.

People also seem to ignore other forms of media and marketing where gender tropes are even worse, many of those industries where women are in positions of power now even. Like movies and television, gaming is a business first and foremost so companies are giving the consumer what they desire. That doesn't mean the industry or its audience are flawed, people often seek out unrealistic and exaggerated entertainment, women are no strangers to that either.

Agreed, gaming seems to get disproportionately criticised in this regard. I agree with much of the criticism but the volume and imbalance makes it tiresome much like the tropes that they criticise.

I assumed you meant Beamer too, reading between those lines wasn't hard. Perhaps I'm another alt account. Perhaps we actually are all one person but I/we don't know, pseudo-schizophrenia style!

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 8, 2015, 21:39 Quboid

Zombies are a good enemy type because their AI is about as advanced as we can reliably manage. When they get stuck on the scenery it actually makes a bit of sense.  

- Quboid

News Comments > 3GB Evolve Day One Patch Detailed
16. Re: 3GB Evolve Day One Patch Detailed Feb 8, 2015, 20:01 Quboid

dizave wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 19:04:
Remember back in the day when we used to see on Bluesnews "x game has gone GOLD!" Devs used to work on games until they were finished to their standards.

There's always been buggy, unfinished crap. Even "when it's done" greats like Doom and Quake had numerous patches.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 8, 2015, 16:06 Quboid

nin wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 12:39:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 8, 2015, 12:09:
PS. If you have yet to buy Wolfenstein the New Order, or the Evil Within, due so at the next sale opportunity... both are pretty damned amazing in my opinion.

+1 for wolf. Woot woot!

Roomba Simulator 2014

I enjoyed it, good old fashioned FPS fun.

- Quboid

86. Re: etc., etc. Feb 8, 2015, 10:43 Quboid

Prez wrote on Feb 7, 2015, 22:16:
Hey if the shoe fits... She is an attention whore, I really can't see any way to debate that fact. And the fact that she deliberately spins her data to make it look like men are the victimizers and women are the perpetual victims makes her a man-hater in my book.

Isn't her principle point is that tropes like the damsel in distress are too frequently used? She uses examples of that, as anyone would, but I'm not aware her having ever said that this is always the case and IMHO that's a big distinction. I don't know of anything she has done in terms attention-seeking, finance, or one-sidedness which virtually any other campaigner for any campaign doesn't also do.

I couldn't bear to watch all of her stuff which I find just tedious, so if I have missed anything stupid please let me know. I don't like her either but she has my sympathy due to the behaviour of some of her detractors (not you).

- Quboid

News Comments > Dying Light Mod Tool Plans
24. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 8, 2015, 08:50 Quboid

QTEs are "cinematic", which is a word that publishers use when they forget that games are games, not films. If your plot is more important than your gameplay, QTEs are for you - but developing games isn't.

They don't annoy me to the point where they detract from the entire experience so I don't expect this to ruin what has been a very enjoyable game for me. I'd still much rather they had used gameplay for their game but hey...

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Feb 7, 2015, 12:12 Quboid

This is unlawful under the European convention on human rights - which the UK government wants to get rid of, because terrorism. I don't think this is the sort of "fighting terrorism" that they want people to know they'd be legalising.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2015, 23:33 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 18:09:
Cyanotetyphas wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 17:00:
re:serial TV article
Kind of interesting. Posits a backlash to all the things that the book "Everything Bad is Good For You" suggested were enriching the culture. The question is do we have anywhere to go now once TV hits film quality. As mentioned in the article, I actually think there's a lot of room for quick short serial shows that hasn't been explored. Even 23 minutes can drag quite a bit.

I'm watching The Fall on Netflix right now. Really good, and is one of those short serial type of deals. Love that it's set in Belfast, and they've got all these great acronyms and slang that we don't use in the US. It's familiar and understandable, yet foreign. And Gillian Anderson (Scully!) is perfect in her role, even if I'm not quite buying the guy playing the serial killer. The actor is good, but he doesn't quite convey the insanity of someone who would do something like that. Maybe it's the script and directing that needs to be a bit better in that regard. Still I can totally recommend it.

It's unusual for a programme set in Northern Ireland to be worth watching so I'll check that out. Some of the countryside scenes in Game of Thrones are filmed here (Stannis Baratheon and his army on a rainy beach, for example) but that's obviously not set here. Although Dunnamanagh does resemble Winterfell ... *crickets*

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 6, 2015, 21:10 Quboid

They only got the previous 2 years refunded, the extra 2 years free was incorrectly reported.

Still definitely worth it. I'd happily let companies call me whatever they wanted for half that!

- Quboid

News Comments > Dying Light Mod Tool Plans
2. Re: Dying Light Mod Tool Plans Feb 6, 2015, 20:49 Quboid

beremot wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 20:28:
The modding community has already been taking off without them, but this is still good news. What IS up with the "reversal" though. Who was sending the modders take down notices?

The ESA are taking the blame, by which I mean shifting the blame to "a third-party vendor". I don't know if it was a mistake or a hastily reversed decision but I'm glad they're doing the right thing now. I was beginning to regret buying it when the DMCA stuff started.

- Quboid

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Winners
26. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Winners Feb 6, 2015, 19:45 Quboid

Flatline wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 18:42:
Rhino wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 12:51:
Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 12:48:
Mordor had a dreadful story that was was poorly strung together and made little sense. Outstanding Achievement my ass haha.

Yeah, I was caught off guard by that one, too. I know of NOBODY that felt that story was anything more than serviceable. Yes, fine, opinions may vary, blah blag and so forth.
Destiny as Action Game of the Year also caught me off guard. Even Wolfenstein: The New Order was, to me, a vastly superior offering; and not even I would claim that it was perfect. Great, yes. Perfect, no.

Wolfenstein might have been the biggest surprise of the year for me. I was expecting shit. I got a surprisingly compelling story and a fun shoot em up game.

Let's put it this way. I got it on steam sale for something stupid like 9 dollars. Not only did I feel I got my money's worth, I felt that I could have spent 30 or 40 dollars and felt like I got my money's worth.

I bought Wolf (aka Roomba Simulator 2014) based on recommendations here - mainly from nin - and enjoyed it a lot. My expectations had been lifted as its reputation grew but it did not disappoint.

- Quboid

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Winners
21. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Winners Feb 6, 2015, 16:17 Quboid

Rhino wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 12:51:
Verno wrote on Feb 6, 2015, 12:48:
Mordor had a dreadful story that was was poorly strung together and made little sense. Outstanding Achievement my ass haha.

Yeah, I was caught off guard by that one, too. I know of NOBODY that felt that story was anything more than serviceable. Yes, fine, opinions may vary, blah blag and so forth.

The nemesis system received a lot of acclaim. That's not a conventional story but if they rewarded it for being an outstanding achievement in how to tell stories, that would actually be a good thing. Gaming award shows shouldn't limit themselves to other media's definitions of such things. TBH I'm not sure they put this much thought into it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 5, 2015, 20:13 Quboid

The headline is misleading and the article is nonsense:
The publisher says that 16 million players have registered in the game. On average, Destiny players are spending three hours in the game.

I assume that last sentence means 3 hours per day but it implies that this average is over all 16 million players. Activision's actual statement is at least intentionally uninformative:
To date, Destiny has more than 16 million registered users and active players are playing the game an average of over three hours per day.

"Active players" goes undefined so all this really means is that it has sold well, not that many people like it or play it.

Does anyone know how much Activision make out of each sale?

- Quboid

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL
11. Re: Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL Feb 5, 2015, 14:19 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 14:06:
ASeven wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 13:57:
From reviews, this is the same as the last CitiesXL, they didn't even fix the fact the game runs only on one core. Apparently this is a big avoid.
Good to know. Thanks

There's a Steam review that says it uses one core - but links to a screenshot showing several cores in use. It looks to me like it is multicore but that it's not particularly well optimised so the load isn't spread very well.

Maybe Skylines will be good...

- Quboid

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL
3. Re: Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 Quboid

It looks like there are no reviews ahead of launch. That's worrying. 50% off is a good deal but if it's only for preorders then I'd only consider it if there was plenty of independent information but I can't even find hands-on previews. Worrying.

RPS say that it will have multicore support at least.

There are a few first impressions videos popping up from places where it has unlocked already. My first impression based on their first impression: it's not looking good...

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2015, 10:59.

- Quboid

4705 Comments. 236 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo