Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4252 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
23. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 13:05 Quboid

Why do people talk about this as an investment? Aren't more traditional words like pre-order or purchase rather more applicable?

"I just invested $250 in Star Citizen, with a bit of luck within 2 years I'll have made $0 back and within 10 years, a cool $0!"

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 26, 2013, 11:20 Quboid

I hope so. I know the jury has to take each case on its merits but I really hate to see this guys win any case.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Nov 24, 2013, 15:54 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 15:40:
Dirwulf wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 14:50:
JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 14:39:
People who thinks PC games are "Free to Play" are casuals at best. You might be able to demo or sample a lot of the game, but if you want to do anything endgame related, you better start paying up.

Put down the crack pipe. Zero of my PC games require purchases to finish. Either you suck at gaming or you are buying the wrong games. What the heck are you playing anyway that you need to pay to finish?

Maybe you are referring specifically to free to play MMO's?

Nearly all of your PC games require purchases to finish. You make that purchase once, up front, but you still made a purchase.

I think he just meant Free 2 Play games; to get far in them you need to cough up and as such, they cease to be free to play.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2013, 10:48 Quboid

So sad to hear, sorry for your loss Blue and Mrs. Blue.  

- Quboid

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
72. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 13:04 Quboid

Did he mock gamers? Did he say he didn't care what kind of game we want?

I seem to remember him basically saying that he's focussed on games which he would want to play but why shouldn't he? Everyone wants to be doing that and those who can't say they are anyway (as saying otherwise implies you think your game is crap).

- Quboid

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
63. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 10:47 Quboid

Carmack and id Software haven't really been relevant for a decade but they'll always have a place in my childhood and my heart.

I haven't tried it so make of this what you will. The Oculus Rift has a horizontal view angle of about 90 for each eye. Not full field of vision (which is about 155) but the missing area is hard to distinguish anything specific in. The wide areas aren't useless but your graphics card is probably better utilized on the central area.

This is different from in-game FOV which I prefer around 80-90 although my monitor probably only takes up about 50 of my view (it's surprisingly hard to estimate that!). I took it that you didn't mean this sort of FOV, InBlack, but I'm not sure. At a guess playing a game with the Oculus Rift which is locked to 60 would be awful.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 23, 2013, 10:15 Quboid

I hadn't hear of him until he did one of those bullshit copyright blocks that are such a pest to YouTubers. Now, all I know of him is that he's an asshole. Way to go, kid. I guess he's too young to have heard of the Streisand effect.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Nov 22, 2013, 16:07 Quboid

It's good to hear him call them out on it. He's a bit crazy about frame rates (does anyone really benefit from above about 80 FPS?) but I'm with him on this, and tying the game tick to the framerate is just pathetic.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Spice Road
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Spice Road Nov 21, 2013, 15:19 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 13:34:
The Half Elf wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 10:57:
Still not the Spice Girls selling illegal goods for bitcoins game I was looking for...

So tell me what you want. What you really, really want!

Anyone try the demo yet?

I thought it was pretty awful. Bland gameplay and really poor graphics. A bit like the Spice Girls, come to think of it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Nov 21, 2013, 15:11 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 14:05:
nin wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 10:40:
Yeah, I'm glad I didn't get it, but still disappointed how it's doing, out of the gate.

Yeah, sounds like they needed at least another 6 months. Jesus, you'd think companies would have learned by now. How much does a bad release cost in lost sales versus the overhead of putting several more months work to make sure it's a good launch. Boggles the mind.

But yeah, let's see where this is at in 6 months.

Maybe they couldn't wait. They could have had an ironclad contract or simply not had anything left in the bank. You'd think it would be beneficial to everyone involved if they'd at least been allowed to run an early access scheme to shore up the accounts for another 6 months but it's possible that they had no option.

The morality of releasing a product that's not fit for purpose (if indeed that is the case for X Rebirth) is another question. It's hard to say that's legit but it's also hard to say I wouldn't do it if I had ~20 employees.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
17. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2013, 16:15 Quboid

LesCaster wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 14:10:
Dagnamit wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 12:38:
Change of subject somewhat, but I can't shake the feeling that these consoles are ridiculously underpowered.

Underutilized, perhaps, but not underpowered, at least not when comparing to last gen. For example, the PS4's GPU is (reportedly) 4.5x more powerful than PS3's and has 5x the previous memory. It's just going to take a while, as usual, before we see game devs starting to take advantage.

If it's 4.5x the power after 8 years, then it is considerably lower power than the PS3 was relative to the hardware of the time. What's the power difference between these?
GeForce GTX 780 versus GeForce 6800 XT

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Nov 20, 2013, 10:58 Quboid

I have learned a lot of things, like Western-world values

Not sure that's the healthiest thing to take from any game that features Iraq. We're not all jingoistic psychopaths and we don't actually consider killing people to be a real life high score!

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2013, 08:24 Quboid

I'm generalising here, but bad guys tend think they're going to get away with it. If they see someone else receive a tasty ransom but then get caught, they're going to try the same thing but with a different escape plan. If there's no payout in the first place, it's a lot less enticing to even try.

I think "crime is going to occur regardless" is a logical fallacy. Yes, of course crime is still going to occur. Not negotiating with terrorists/kidnappers/whatever isn't going to stop crime, or stop those specific crimes. The idea is to reduce the number of these crimes, not stop them all together.

Not paying a ransom is gambling one citizen's life. Paying a ransom is gambling _all_ your citizens' lives.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2013, 08:31.

- Quboid

News Comments > X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans
50. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 21:43 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 21:36:
Quboid wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 20:11:
What's the latest X3, is it Albion Prelude? (Edit: seems AP is the newest but it needs TC; 20 for the pack - nope.)
It comes up as $10CDN for me for the pack, not sure how much it shows if you are in EU
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W4942

Also be sure to check out some guide vids before you buy it, much different from Rebirth.
I am watching this guide right now: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBBF0B9059849696

"Sorry, this item is not available in your region."

- Quboid

News Comments > No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals
6. Re: No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals Nov 18, 2013, 21:34 Quboid

Hahahahaha.

Deary me.

- Quboid

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
60. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 21:06 Quboid

KS wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 20:26:
I don't think they're saying it needs a powerful computer to run -- that's a stupid management decision if so.

You want to run on not just average but below average, but with a design that scales up graphics accordingly, so the high-end people are drooling all over it online.

Exactly. They're talking about 2 computers, out of probably hundreds. Of course they're going to have some high end machines, they're not Egosoft

- Quboid

News Comments > X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans
47. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 20:11 Quboid

What's the latest X3, is it Albion Prelude? (Edit: seems AP is the newest but it needs TC; 20 for the pack - nope.) Is there an all-in-one mod for that which you guys recommend?

The mod list (thanks SpectralMeat, Taskeen) is interesting. It's encouraging that there's already these fixes, even if many of them should have been in the game from the start.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2013, 20:59.

- Quboid

44. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 16:17 Quboid

Scheherazade wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 13:50:
Not sure if you know, but CR's post was in response to a bunch of crying on the forums.

[...]

So yeah, this is basically him responding to all the console flames.

-scheherazade

I didn't know that, fair enough.

- Quboid

3. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 10:24 Quboid

I thought X Rebirth had more potential than Star Citizen. SC still has it all to prove IMHO but I can't see XR living up to my hopes even with patches and mods.

There's a rumour that there's Xbox references in the X Rebirth data files. It may be a reference to the controller, or be a complete myth, but perhaps this is why it has so many flaws and seems rushed after 7 years.

Chris Roberts is banging the "PC Game" drum a bit much for my taste, but ultimate it's the game that matters. He can bang whatever drum he wants if he delivers.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2013, 12:18 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 12:10:
Nice to see, yes, but take a screen-shot 'cause I don't think it'll stay there for very long...

=-Rigs-=

I was sorely tempted to preorder it but I held out. I'm rather glad I did.

I'll certainly keep an eye on it and if it gets patched up, then I'll buy it. However, I'm not likely to pay full price.

- Quboid

4252 Comments. 213 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo