Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3921 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 13, 2013, 11:40 Quboid

Creston wrote on Jun 13, 2013, 11:19:
Okay, if it can do 1080p, the Oculus Rift suddenly got my attention.

Creston

Yeah, that was the sticking point for me. Of course it still depends on the price and the first impressions of the consumer version but all being well, I'll certainly be getting one of these. I'd expect it to cost less than a next-gen console and offer me much, much more value.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex Human Revolution - Director's Cut Coming to PCs
17. Re: Deus Ex Human Revolution - Director's Cut Coming to PCs Jun 12, 2013, 15:53 Quboid

Not really worth buying the whole game again. I wonder if there'll be an upgrade version on Steam.

The Typhoon aug is very effective against the bosses so if you make sure you have that and a few rounds, you don't have to suffer the bosses for long.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Jun 10, 2013, 20:23 Quboid

That developer comment is here - I presume that is the developer, they're not actually marked as such by their forum software:
http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=231608#p231608

- Quboid

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 10, 2013, 17:34 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 16:48:
So beer is a "legitimate activity" but gaming isn't? Lolwut? You may have a point, but that's a bad way to phrase it. More like, people being swayed by beer commercials are too dumb to know any better.

Possibly not well phrased. I mean that I can tell another adult, who I do not know, that I like beer and they will think nothing of it. If I tell an adult who I do not know that I like video games, there's every chance that they'd roll their eyes and think I'm a loser for wasting my time with teenagers' toys. I'm not desperate for validation from Joe Random, but I still don't want to be judged unfavourably because of his or her ignorance.

Edit:
For what it's worth, I'd probably rather beer and car commercials didn't do this either but as I'm not an enthusiast of either (although I do happen to have a bottle of Hoegaarden in front of me ), I don't really notice. It's not that it's sexist (they're pandering to an audience, as they do when marketing to women with attractive men), it's that it insults my intelligence. It's patronisingly transparent.

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2013, 17:57.

- Quboid

5. Re: Game Reviews Jun 10, 2013, 17:02 Quboid

gilly775 wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 15:35:
Not big on the 20 minute limit during battles in the SP campaign. I really wish they would extend that or someone mods it for those of us who like to take their time and not be rushed.

I read about that, it sounds like a poor decision by Eugene. Can you pause and/or slow time and give orders? I won't be rushed, I don't want a brain frying click-fest, but if I can pause and look around and give orders and then unpause to see how they play out then that's OK.

I haven't played either game so I don't know how this plays out in practise, but the developer's explanation is interesting. According to them, it is supposed to result in inconclusive results in most battles. Taking each 20 minute battle is equivalent to a day's combat, a single battle is just chipping away at the enemy rather than wiping a whole army off the map which just doesn't happen in real. Instead, one day you might focus on their anti-aircraft defences - at the end of the session, neither side has won so it goes down as a draw, but as if you successfully destroy their AA without taking major damage yourself, then the next day's battle should go more your way thanks to air support.

As I said, I don't know if this works. I think it's a decent principal but by the sounds of it, it at least needs to be communicated better. A method that fits into the game world better than an immersion breaking countdown would be much better by the sounds of it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 10, 2013, 15:47 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 15:28:
Panickd wrote on Jun 10, 2013, 11:34:
Wow what's with the trend of fake tattooing your logo onto the sexy women hawking your stuff? That boardroom meeting must have been fun. "If we brand them people will know they belong to us!"

The principle is entirely sexist to begin with so why not take it further? I'm still surprised they don't have dudes there for the ladies and gay men yet. I tend to stay away wherever possible from companies that need sex to sell their product. It generally means a shoddy product and company.

The whole idea is just embarrassing to gaming. I know that everything primarily marketed at men (cars, beer) also use sex to sell their products but unlike those, gaming has yet to prove its self as a legitimate activity for adults and these pubescent fantasies aren't helping.

I don't know how effective booth babes are (or things like stupidly small and impractical armour on female characters in games), but aside from presumably being a turn off for female potential customers, they're a turn off for me. I'm a late-20's heterosexual male, I'm pretty much exactly who games are marketed at, and these attempts are counter-productive.

Perhaps I'm not representative, perhaps booth babes does get your product attention and sales, but from where I'm sitting, I wish gaming would grow up. Beer ads can get away with it, games can't yet.

- Quboid

1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 10, 2013, 12:01 Quboid

Anyone played either WarGame title? How good are they, how realistic is the combat?

It reminds me of playing 'bases' with my brothers in ye olde days before computers; making fortresses and fighting wars with toy tanks. Good days.

- Quboid

News Comments > Civilization V Free Weekend & Sale
9. Re: Civilization V Free Weekend & Sale Jun 7, 2013, 09:13 Quboid

Ah, excellent! Thank you MoonSpook. I presume they just send a Steam code when it is released?  

- Quboid

7. Re: Civilization V Free Weekend & Sale Jun 7, 2013, 08:00 Quboid

That 2.50 upgrade appears to include G+K - that's a bargain.

BNW isn't available in the UK from GMG. The user review on GMG is, erm, interesting. It's a glowing, 99/100 review for something which "is virtually unplayable". Wut? So an expansion - which isn't actually available yet - is nearly perfect, yet almost unplayable. Right-o.

- Quboid

2. Brave New World Jun 6, 2013, 21:16 Quboid

Brave New World expansion pack has just become available to pre-order, which is presumably why they're having the free weekend, much like Saints Row is doing.

It's 10% off, down from 20 to 18. Seems expensive, although the same as I paid for Gods + Kings which was worth it if you're a Civ V fan.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 6, 2013, 21:12 Quboid

Don't be silly guys, people don't lie on the Internet.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Saints Row 3 Free Weekend & Sale
3. Re: Saints Row 3 Free Weekend & Sale Jun 6, 2013, 17:11 Quboid

steve bicknell wrote on Jun 6, 2013, 14:27:
Not here in the UK yet, just says this game is not ready to be played in offline mode.. GGGrrrr

I had to restart Steam to get the download to start; the "click to play or install" link just loaded SR3's Community Hub before that. Also from the UK.

- Quboid

News Comments > EVE Online: Odyssey Launches
1. Re: EVE Online: Odyssey Launches Jun 4, 2013, 20:05 Quboid

I admire this game so much. Some of the stories of intrigue are brilliant.

But I could never play it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Stronghold Crusader 2 Announced
10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 19:52 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 19:05:
If I was joking, you'd know it. I wasn't. Have you played Crusader? You said you played the second one, how about the first? You're basing your opinion on something contrary to what I was talking about (the first game, in particular). If that wasn't clear in my post, my apologies. I meant the first game in the series.

=-Rigs-=

Er, me? I meant I presume Slashman is joking. I've played Stronghold 2 only, not Stronghold nor Stronghold Crusader. I didn't really have a point beyond that Stronghold 2 was beautiful but crap, and as a result it's soured me on the series.

- Quboid

News Comments > Stronghold Crusader 2 Announced
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2013, 16:15 Quboid

Slashman wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 15:42:
Rigs wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 14:44:
Yeah, unless they somehow turn everything back to the way it used to be, which is seriously doubtful, this isn't going to work. And since they're calling it a sequel to the worst one in the series, I'm thinking that's not their plan. I mean, why does every game now have to be about the twitch mentality? Everything is now, now, now. Aside from nearly everything Paradox and MATRIX puts out (which are hardcore for the most part), everything has turned into more of a 'I don't want to wait, show me now' kind of thing. It sucks. I was reading some of the OLD issues of CGW yesterday (think early-90's, DOS-era, before Win95) and there are so many games that made you actually put TIME and EFFORT into using them.It wasn't instant gratification...and I think gaming has lost that and Crusader, as it is right now, is a perfect example...

=-Rigs-=

Yeah but all the experts are calling it 'progress' and 'accessibility'. Why should some level of skill or competence mean that you can progress further in a game than I can? Can't I just click things and mash buttons while obtaining all the rewards you're getting ?

I presume you're joking. There are some on here who I wouldn't be sure at all.

I bought Stronghold 2, my God was that bad. I'd heard how great Stronghold was and SH2 looked so beautiful so I snapped it up. Sure enough, it was beautiful. By far the best looking RTS I'd played. Shame about the actual game!

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 4, 2013, 15:09 Quboid

Individually, I don't think these prove anything beyond reasonable doubt; a competent legal team could cast enough doubt on them. That interview could refer to legal things (if ebook publishers like Apple's extra money so much they could legally demand at least that much from Amazon, forcing their hand without Apple's direct involvement). That the heads of Apple and Harper Collins talked doesn't necessarily mean much. The contents of that email is pretty damning but it wouldn't surprise me if they could spin it away.

All 3, however, and it becomes pretty tough to convince a judge to take you seriously.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 4, 2013, 11:54 Quboid

nin wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 11:21:
literally admits to doing so in an interview

And that email that made the rounds.

Sources for these?

Edit: I RTFA, that helps. Not much detail and I don't think the interview (at least as presented in this article) is that big an admission.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 2013, 12:38.

- Quboid

News Comments > Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8
14. Re: Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8 Jun 4, 2013, 11:53 Quboid

Omni wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 10:37:
Sorry, but the browser or device you are using does not support this video. Please ensure that your browser is using the latest version of Silverlight to continue.

This is just enough.

That sums it up pretty well. I like Windows 8; once you remove all the new stuff it's just Windows 7 with minor improvements. But if this is some sort of Windows 8 Metro Modern UI app then, weeeeeell, no. No thanks, MS.

- Quboid

News Comments > Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8
13. Re: Halo: Spartan Assault Announced for Windows 8 Jun 4, 2013, 11:51 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 11:40:
InBlack wrote on Jun 4, 2013, 10:23:
Please dont lynch me, but Im thinking about getting a windows8 smartphone. They are dirt cheap, and look pretty & functional. (The OS makes sense on a mobile phone, who would have thought...) Should I rather go Android? This is my first smartphone and I dont really look forward to it but my old phone is dying as we speak.

Pretty much everyone I know who has bought a Windows Phone has shortly gone back to iOS or Android shortly after, it's a platform going nowhere and several of its hardware backers are in deep financial doodoo and likely won't be able to continue with it much longer. I think you would be better off with Android, it has far more customization options than Windows Phone or iOS and there are some very cheap hardware options these days.

I wonder what sort of future Windows Phone has. I'm sure MS will keep pushing it but the hardware makers don't seem to like it. If/when Nokia give up on it, it's in trouble.

If you're comfortable rooting your Android phone, you can get newer versions of the OS. I put Cyanogen Mod (an open-source version of Android for most common phones) on my old HTC Desire, it wasn't too taxing and both updated to the then-latest version of Android and added many cool toys if you love to tinker.

If you want to keep your phone under warranty and use it for 3 years, then your Android phone will become out of date. That said, virtually all apps will still be compatible and the hardware in a good phone now will still be just about able to keep up; of course this problem is the same for all phones.

- Quboid

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Selling Well
11. Re: Metro: Last Light Selling Well Jun 3, 2013, 12:44 Quboid

NeOCidE wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 11:08:
Quboid wrote on Jun 3, 2013, 10:51:
One of the best corridor shooters I've played, and very beautiful. This is what Doom 4 should have been.

Should have been? I missed something? Since when was Doom 4 released?

No, but it probably should have been - they had to completely restart it in 2011. If it had gone according to plan it would probably have been released by now, or be due soon - so it would have similar hardware targets and ambitions as M:LL.

- Quboid

3921 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo