Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4180 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Nov 15, 2013, 11:10 Quboid

My experience with bandwidth caps (from UK ISPs) is that they have been consistently increasing, faster than game install sizes increase. About 5 years ago I had a 40GB cap, now I have a 200GB peak-time-only cap for about the same price. Maybe things are different over there but I must say, it surprises if caps have shown an overall trend of getting lower/pricier.

You're presumably out of luck when it comes to any digital distribution system, for games or for other media. You must have an ever-growing problem with all games, all music and more and more TV and movies.

Optional Nickname!, it's an opinion piece and the guy gave his opinion. That does not make him a sheep.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X Rebirth Launch Trailer
55. Re: X Rebirth Launch Trailer Nov 15, 2013, 07:18 Quboid

I read that the patch is voice and video stuff that wasn't ready for the main preload. Nothing too exciting, although there could be other stuff.

Still waiting on first impressions and reviews.

- Quboid

News Comments > X Rebirth Launch Trailer
27. Re: X Rebirth Launch Trailer Nov 14, 2013, 18:48 Quboid

I'd rather have one excellent ship than a dozen mediocre ones. Of course, it's yet to be seen if this is an excellent ship.

The universe lives without you, which is a failing of The Elder Scrolls. In Skyrim, the world 200m from your feet was basically dead but in X, everything keeps on going regardless of where you are, and it has a fully functional economy that works off the back of this universe that you can affect. Skyrim has traders which recharge after something like 48 hours and that's it. I enjoyed Skyrim but X is much more immersive in this respect.

When does the review embargo end?

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Redshirt
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Redshirt Nov 13, 2013, 21:21 Quboid

It's developed by someone called The Tiniest Shark. I'm not sure what Positech has to do with it, is Cliffski a publisher now? Perhaps he funded the development.  

- Quboid

News Comments > X Rebirth & Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preloads
12. Re: X Rebirth & Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 13, 2013, 20:51 Quboid

Keith wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 20:38:
I'm going to pass on this one since they still haven't made it reasonable to fly with a mouse & keyboard. I just don't understand the reluctance since this is a SP game.

Plus, it doesn't sound like much of an improvement to the previous X game. Can't see why anyone wouldn't wait for the obligatory Steam sale.

The improved UI is a big thing for me, although it remains to be seen just how improved it is. What have you heard about keyboard and mouse control?

- Quboid

9. Re: X Rebirth & Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 13, 2013, 19:56 Quboid

Slashman wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 19:31:
Quboid wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 19:28:
Note to self: don't preorder X Rebirth. Don't preorder X Rebirth. Preorders are never a good thing. Don't do it Quboid, you always regret preorders. It's an X game, it's going to be buggy. Just wait a few days for first impressions. Do not preorder.

I'm not gonna make it.

Sad...

Very.

X Rebirth isn't listed on GameFly's UK site at all so I can't get 20% off there. I'm almost relieved.

- Quboid

3. Re: X Rebirth & Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 13, 2013, 19:28 Quboid

Note to self: don't preorder X Rebirth. Don't preorder X Rebirth. Preorders are never a good thing. Don't do it Quboid, you always regret preorders. It's an X game, it's going to be buggy. Just wait a few days for first impressions. Do not preorder.

I'm not gonna make it.

- Quboid

News Comments > DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt
21. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 17:14 Quboid

ochentay4 wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 16:57:
Im a gamer and I couldnt care less about Achievements/Trhopies.

Neither do I, but someone having a different opinion doesn't mean they couldn't be more stupid.

- Quboid

News Comments > DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt
18. Re: DIRT 3 Leaving GFWL in the Dirt Nov 12, 2013, 16:56 Quboid

ochentay4 wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 14:46:
TheWeaponeer wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 14:23:
I lost all of my Batman save data (from my retail copies of Arkham Asylum, AA GOTY, Arkham City, and AC GOTY - yup, all FOUR of them), and I was furious for days because of that. I was slowly working my way through AC GOTY under GFWL and now that is gone.
You couldnt be more stupid. You should really thank WB and 2K for removing this piece of crap software the fastest they could. It was garbage from the beggining. Also, we all Blues users knew about it before it was available. Go cry a river.

You mess with a man's save games without notification and you are not going to be popular. As much as I like seeing GFWL die, that's just shitty and I don't know why you have such a problem.

I quite like Steam. I actually quite like Origin, it does the main things well (i.e. it's fast and it generally stays out of sight). ForgedReality, are you joking? You followed a post that mentions contentless criticism of Steam with contentless criticism of Origin so I'm not sure.

- Quboid

News Comments > U.K. Sakes Charts
1. Re: U.K. Sakes Charts Nov 11, 2013, 09:58 Quboid

Is that sakes as in "oh for God's sake" or as in the Japanese rice drink?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix
21. Re: Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix Nov 11, 2013, 09:56 Quboid

NKD wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 09:34:
Pigeon wrote on Nov 11, 2013, 09:14:
Even Vista was whipped into shape by this point in its development cycle. At this point I'm starting to wonder if there's something fundamentally wrong with their base UI that they have a hard time getting things to work that have been working just fine for the lat 20+ years. More likely they're still busy trying to cram a UI better suited for smart phones and tablets onto a PC. I really don't understand their insistence on having this interface on a non-touch screen device. Common sense would say have a touch screen mode and a mouse mode.

There's no incentive for them to do anything because, like Vista, even after it's fixed, people don't know it's been fixed or don't believe people who tell them and ignore the OS anyway. Better to just wait until the next version when they can make a fresh impression.

I don't see much reason for altering the interface anyway. Shit, I've been on Windows 8 for months and months now and I basically never see the Metro bullshit. I use it in the exact same way I used Windows 7. Windows 8 has had a negligible impact on my workflow. And aside from the Metro UI, just about everything in Windows 8 is improved from Windows 7 in the same way Windows 7 improved on Vista. Incremental, but pervasive updates.

One of Microsoft's biggest failings with Windows 8 was communicating what's new besides Modern UI, aka Metro. Partly because there's really not that much - as you say, it's incremental - but their push to get people to use Metro killed Windows 8 in the eyes of many consumers because the implementation was heavy-handed and Metro has a very Microsoft failing: it's shit.

Like you, I don't see any Metro crap and while it's wrong that I had to install 3rd party software to properly get it into shape, it's hardly a big chore. I like Windows 8, there's really nothing to make me recommend upgrading from Windows 7 - even free, it's not worth the hassle unless you need to reinstall anyway - but if you do need to buy Windows now, I see no reason not to choose Windows 8.

- Quboid

News Comments > Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix
7. Re: Windows 8.1 Mouse Fix Nov 10, 2013, 21:26 Quboid

Windows is long dead? What percent of the articles on this site don't refer to Windows software, 25%?

I'm not saying that it's got a great future or anything, but I think the obituary is rather premature.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 8, 2013, 14:39 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 10:23:
Verno wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 10:13:
Badges for watching video, wow. That's a new low.

It was low when it was introduced in gaming. Then they improved it some (in some games) by making the tasks challenging in different ways. Its still low though and serves no real purpose.

Badges for watching video somehow manages to compromise the integrity of something that had zero integrity in the first place.

- Quboid

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround
53. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 21:51 Quboid

Massive install size for mediocre textures? That's not Quake 3, that's Rage.

Has anyone looked to see what is using all this space?

- Quboid

37. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 15:01 Quboid

Prez, you're talking about a slightly different thing to what I think most people here are talking about (correct me if I'm wrong folks). To me, and I think this thread, how good the AI is is not a question of how effective the AI is. It is a question of how believable the AI is.

Really good AI should be more human-like (or dog-like, i.e. whatever-it-is-simulating-like). That doesn't mean they're an excellent shot or superbly observant - in fact at times it means quite the opposite, as anyone who's ever been sniped from 1KM away by a grunt with an AK-47 in Operation Flashpoint will know all too well. Something I appreciated in Dishonored was that the guards are very poor at looking up which is somewhat realistic; people actually are much less likely to notice something that's not on their level.

It's disappointing to see that the basics are still so inconsistent. If I see your AI controlled character gets stuck endlessly walking into a barrier then I'm never going to be able to get quite as immersed in your game again.

What made HL1's and FEAR1's AI so good? Are they actually good by today's standards or were they just so much better for the time that they stood out. Case in point would be FEAR1's bullet debris, it looked amazing but going back to it now it doesn't look that great any more - at the time doing more than drawing a mark on the wall was cool, but destructible terrain has come a long way since.

I remember being impressed by how HL1's soldiers stayed in cover and IIRC moved when squad mates covered them. However, I don't remember anything in Half-Life which isn't pretty common place now. The AI in heavily scripted games like CoD is suspect as it appears to be reacting to level designer cues (when player crosses line A, spawn at B, run to C and duck) rather than actual decision making. Perhaps Half-Life was doing exactly the same. For all Arma's AI's problems, I would guess that Arma 3's AI is vastly more complicated than Half-Life or FEAR's.

- Quboid

27. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Matchmaking Workaround Nov 6, 2013, 14:10 Quboid

Call of Duty will get masses of sales to people who refuse to believe that it sucks (especially if it's gloating BF players telling them this) or who don't really hear word of mouth. The effect of a bad release (by Call of Duty's standards) is more likely to be seen in the sales figures for the next CoD. If this is true then Treyarch will get screwed for IW's failings.

800 max ping. Even when I played on dail-up, that was about 3 times my cut-off. It's more than 12x my cut-off now.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Ghosts
10. Re: Dog! Nov 5, 2013, 11:07 Quboid

Ant wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 10:58:
nin wrote on Nov 5, 2013, 10:05:
Let's just cut to the chase here: Does COD Dog die?

Sort of, it turned out to be an android.

Really?

I presume you're joking but it's CoD.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
23. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 4, 2013, 19:50 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 17:54:
Remember this is the politically correct crowd we're dealing with. On one end they want a kinder gentle world. On the other... THEY WILL FUCKING KILL YOU IF YOU DO NOT COMPLY! Sort of how Hitler worked. I love you! I love you! I kill you all!

Internet hates parents to, anything a kid does wrong, parents fault. Even though they never listened all that well to their parents.

** Godwin's Law Klaxon **

- Quboid

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise Announced
3. Re: Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise Announced Nov 4, 2013, 15:30 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 13:08:
So are they going to take us down to Paradise City?

Where the grass is stained red and the girls are subjugated?

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 4, 2013, 12:16 Quboid

NKD wrote on Nov 4, 2013, 11:45:
Tip-toeing through your entire life as if you're in a room full of strangers is just not a way I'd want to live.

Yeah, Boston Marathon Victim is inappropriate for say, trick or treating or going out to a club. But why does anyone do anything edge or inappropriate around their friends? Because they can.

There is a constant low level pressure to censor yourself in life, and if you're not a sociopath, you give in to that pressure. But when you're with your buddies, away from people who don't know what's in your heart, you can just let yourself go for once without fear of judgement, and other people don't judge because they themselves don't want to be judged for whatever social norms THEY decide to let go for a while.

She went into work like that so she was in a room full of strangers, and she posted it to not-exactly-private Twitter. I associate Hallowe'en with a street carnival so I must admit the idea that this could be private didn't even occur to me but I don't think it occurred to her either.

(On a completely separate note, kudos to whoever thought that a street carnival on the evening of the 31st October in Northern Ireland would be a good idea. Anyone wearing a 'slutty' costume quickly becomes a slutty smurf.)

Batman, a local costume shop had 'zombie Osama' last year which seemed massively fucked up to me. I get that they were going for the "haha he's dead" angle but it's still a horrible shit who murdered thousands.

- Quboid

4180 Comments. 209 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo