Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4449 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support
42. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 2, 2014, 09:44 Quboid

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 21:47:
Quboid wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 19:13:
4K is 3840x2160, so 1920x2160 per eye - twice as many pixels as a 1080p screen per eye would have.

How do you expect to get a frame rate at 4K, or even 1440p (1280x1440 per eye)?

Dude. That's why I said "in a few years" . I'm hoping not too long though. I mean with the fast growing popularity of 4K I'd imagine that nVidia and AMD will hopefully try extra hard to crank out VGA cards capable of producing playable FPS at 4K resolution. They've been slacking off long enough.

Also, if you think that I am a little extreme with my 4K requirement then think again and read this article at Ars Technica where the OR head honcho says that in an ideal world he'd like 8K+ *per eye*(!) for a pixel-free experience.

I took "in a few years" to be a short enough time period that my system would still be relevant as a perfectly usable gaming rig, i.e. 2 or 3 years. In 5 to 10 years we should see big improvements so I agree with you there. They need to release a good, solid product at a price that allows people like me to splash out (i.e. 200-300). I would guess that 1080p is the best option for them to actually ship a product - they mustn't lose sight of that! I can easily understand why some people would be looking to sit this version out especially as, inevitably, the resolution won't be the only problem.

I think desktop monitors are on the verge of judged on PPI a lot more than they have been. With higher resolution TVs being common place and smartphones giving the general public a better understanding of the relevance of screen density. Apple have done a lot in this regard so *gritted teeth* credit to them for pushing "Retina". This will create a market for more GPU power, we'll get there.

I may be in the market for a monitor soon. I'd like a 30" 4K OLED monitor but by the looks of things that will be my subsequent primary monitor purchase in quite a few years. I'm looking at 27" 1440p monitors with full LED back-lighting but it's hard to determine how good their LED back-lights are. The cheap LED TV in my bedroom only has LEDs around the edge and has horribly uneven blacks, I want one with a full grid behind the pixel layer.

I don't think there's anything much in that article that we didn't know. I've heard that 10K would be needed but might have referred to a slightly wider field of view, or just have been an approximation. I don't see this as really relevant. If I didn't want anything to do with a technology until it's so refined that my own senses are the limiting factor, there'd be nothing on Bluesnews that would interest me. The resolution is a concern and will for the foreseeable future be something I will want to improve but, for me, 1080p will be worth buying.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2014, 10:28.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
138. Re: THIEF Reviews Mar 2, 2014, 09:02 Quboid

Thanks Quinn. By the sounds of it, it's not a classic but nothing like as bad as some had predicted and probably better than I'd thought. One for a decent sale, methinks.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
19. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 1, 2014, 21:43 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 11:57:
Its oddly loved by those that also demand the gold standard.

That's an ideological point of view that the government should not be in complete control of currency. I don't agree, but I don't think it's inconsistent (which I'm taking "oddly" to mean).

- Quboid

40. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 1, 2014, 18:06 Quboid

Doesn't everyone?  

- Quboid

38. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Mar 1, 2014, 16:14 Quboid

harlock wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 11:14:
Nom4d wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 03:01:
But seeing as this is Blue's News I'm probably going to get shit on for being a fanboy because I tried to explain/show something.

you get shit on for being a fanboy because you are one.. and obnoxious

Total Comments 7 (Suspect)

He certainly looks like a Star Citizen fan but I don't actually see anything that he's said which is unreasonable and I don't think he's the obnoxious one here***. Many fans will get indignant if the subject of their interest is unfairly (in their opinion) targeted so while I think Nom4d could stand to have less of smugly triumphant tone to his points, he does make apparently researched and coherent points doesn't spew the ill-considered and illegible stuff that make a fan a fanboy.

*** That is, of course, me. Smugly stepping in and acting like I know everything and pulling out tired meta-jokes and meta-meta-jokes. Fuck Quboid. Fuck that guy so hard.

- Quboid

32. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 19:13 Quboid

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 14:51:
In a few years I want to try the Rift as well as soon as there are 4K versions (i.e. 1080p *per eye* instead of 1080p divided by two like the first retail kit) but until then I'm finding it easy as pie to wait since the experience is just going to suck with the lesser initial models.

4K is 3840x2160, so 1920x2160 per eye - twice as many pixels as a 1080p screen per eye would have.

How do you expect to get a frame rate at 4K, or even 1440p (1280x1440 per eye)? The reports I've heard are that you need to be hitting 90 FPS consistently. I typically aim to average 80 or 90 FPS but that's with dips to 50 - 60 quite frequently, at just over 1080p. I will have to turn down quite a few settings to use the Rift at 1080p, on a decent system (Intel i7 3.5Ghz, 2x Nvidia GeForce 660). Given the low resolution (and despite my excitement for the Rift, this is a concern to me), I'll also want good anti-aliasing and texture filtering. For 1080p at >90FPS, I'm not going to have a lot of power left for any other features.

I think the wisest thing for them is to release a 1080p version as soon as they reasonably can, at a price which makes it affordable to a large enough audience for word of mouth to spread outside the geek world. Even if 1440p is available, it's probably not worth going for in the near future.

If/when the Rift is a success, then they should add to it. I'm sure they have plenty of ideas and will find plenty of issues when it's released so as well as tightening up other features, they will surely boost the resolution.

A dev kit is a tempting but I'm not going to go for it. Unless initial reports are disastrous I will buy the first commercial version and probably future ones. I can definitely understand waiting and I fully expect the Rift 1 will have some problems and it's a strong possibility that it won't be usable as more than a novelty. But what a novelty!

- Quboid

23. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 12:57 Quboid

Jamil20 wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:45:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 09:22:
FTA: KNOWN ISSUE You may be able to get a better picture by setting the resolution to the native Oculus Rift resolution (1280800)

Virtual reality, in its current, past and near future forms, is laughable and a distraction.

That's an unfair assessment.
That is the native resolution of the developer kit's screen. The consumer version will be at least a 1080p screen, perhaps 1440p.

This is about the most innovation in gaming we're getting now-a-days. The xbone and ps4 aren't pushing any limits of modern hardware. That's our performance target for the next 5 years otherwise.

For some reason some people are really keen to shit on the Rift. Also on Star Citizen, for that matter. I have my doubts and concerns with both, SC in particular, but I consider them both to be exciting projects which could be brilliant.

Everyone that I have heard from who has actually tried the damn thing has absolutely loved it. Even people who can only wear it for a short period (and that internal 1080p prototype I mentioned should help a lot) are talking about it changing gaming. Nausea and resolution are the two complaints that I've heard, they've made progress on both but I'm sure the Rift 1 and probably the Rift 2, 3 and 4 if they exist will still have some issues on both counts.

- Quboid

21. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 12:49 Quboid

gray wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:11:
I find this an odd announcement as it's been working for me the whole time, Crytek added support at an engine level a while back.

It's still a bit shonky but they are getting there, will be superb when it's fully supported if Elite: Dangerous is anything to go by.

Maybe they mean Star Citizen specific stuff like making sure the UI works.

I have concerns about the Rift but I'm certainly not going to knock it without having tried it. They have a 1080p model with a new screen tech that greatly reduces nauseating blurring (the Crystal Cove prototype) so I think it's fair to assume that the commercial model will have at least this. If it's not out until 2015, a 1440p model might be nice.

You apparently need a higher frame rate than you do with a monitor, maintaining 90 FPS or you'll get nauseated. I typically don't even average that at 1920x1200 so I'm not in a great hurry to see a 1440p or 4K model for while. I'd rather they released a 1080p model soon and if that's successful, work on the resolution and the many other kinks that will be uncovered for the Rift 2.

(Edit: clarification on Crystal Cove prototype.)

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2014, 13:00.

- Quboid

News Comments > Tex Murphy - Project Fedora's 2K Graphics
7. Re: Tex Murphy - Project Fedora's 2K Graphics Feb 28, 2014, 09:48 Quboid

Panickd wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 19:40:
But 1080p is the 2K standard for television and computer monitors (and yes it's not really full 2K, just like 4K TVs (and monitors) are running 3840x2160, i.e. not really "4K").

This really, irrationally annoys me. I've come to grudgingly accept that 4K is going to refer to 3840, annoying as it's both not 4K and a switch from the referring to the vertical resolution. Now there's 2K, which doesn't fit the existing broken naming system. 2K is 1080p, if you're going to mislabel things, like 4K, at least mislabel them consistently.

I can understand a reluctance to sell a TV as 2160p. That just doesn't roll off the tongue very well and is harder for people who aren't particularly experienced to remember. I suppose just referring to it as "Ultra High Definition" is a bit vague and if I didn't know better I would be very cynical about the fancy buzzwords. Also UHD can refer to 8K too, although I doubt that's a big cause of confusion at your local electrics retailer.

3840x2160 has 4 times as many pixels as Full HD (i.e. 1080p) so how about Quad-Def?

- Quboid

News Comments > Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms Announced
3. Re: Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms Announced Feb 27, 2014, 19:12 Quboid

Argh, an embedded YouTube video on the main page! It's a sign of the apocalypse!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 16:04 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 15:35:
Looks like this one got missed....

Scania Truck Driving Simulator

Didn't even know this was in the works. Only 1 review for it so far and it's quite positive. I wonder if this is idicative of the upcoming 1.9 patch for ETS2. Media looks pretty sweet. I'll be grabbing this soon. Meantime Creston should take the plunge first and let us know.

That was released in 2012, a few months before ETS2 by the looks of it. It's new to Steam, are there any changes? (Edit: a new patch with a little bit of new content.)

I'd be tempted at 50% off or something like that (when I have a flipping Internet connection that isn't 10/GB ). I wonder who paid whom between SCS and Scania.

I know ETS2 1.9 will have new AI, which is much needed, new physics and some graphics upgrades but I don't know what else. To be honest, and this is definitely not a complaint, I'm not sure why they're bothering with a large patch for ETS2 at this point. Perhaps they want to beta test the new stuff for ATS.

- Quboid

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 13:40 Quboid

NASA has the potential to be one of the most significant organisations in history - if they're not already - and should be considered a ridiculously good investment for the US government.

Maybe the people who would profit from off-planet mining should lobby the government like those who profit from killing brown people do. I predict that some day the richest person in the world solar system will make their fortune from off-planet mining.

- Quboid

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 11:11 Quboid

This is about a month old and perhaps you guys are familiar with it but does anyone remember Republic: The Revolution, an overly-ambitious post-cold-war political simulator? The guy behind that, Demis Hassabis, has done quite well since.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month
14. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 27, 2014, 11:06 Quboid

Remember Republic: The Revolution, the game that tried to be a political simulator? The brain behind that isn't doing too badly.  

- Quboid

13. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 27, 2014, 10:49 Quboid

I'm assuming you're arguing the communist vs capitalist point by the way, which I disagree on. I agree it's not really a dictator game as you do everything - which is essential for the game they want to make but true none the less - and as a simulator it could be a lot deeper.

It would be interesting to allow some private enterprise, with citizens looking to fill niches by, for example, building farms with a crop that no other farms are producing. Successful private enterprises could result in rich and powerful citizens and actual political rivals. Rivals can build armies and who killing or imprisoning would rile up so many people for it to actually be a concern.

- Quboid

12. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 27, 2014, 10:45 Quboid

That the dictator himself sets the wages is a game thing and is unrelated to whether it's communist or capitalist. A capitalist president wouldn't do that either.

Being able to delegate responsibilities to underlings and have their allegiances be relevant would be good. As it stands, your citizens' politic stance has very little relevance. This would add to the game but again it's not relevant to communist or capitalist. I suppose in a capitalist economy, they wouldn't be your farms - they'd be a citizen's. Which is still a problem, of course.

My point is that the government is setting the wages. Everyone's wages. No one except the government owns anything. There is no private enterprise, no citizens deciding to build their own cigar factory, there's not even any trade been citizens (possibly down to the shallowness of the simulator). You work for the government and buy everything from the government, or you either starve or rebel. That's pretty darn communist in my book.

- Quboid

10. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 26, 2014, 21:09 Quboid

Sacrifice wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 18:39:
I am disappointed to read the negative comments. I enjoy city building games and I enjoyed the Tropico series so far. I was looking forward to Tropico 5. Hopefully this beta test will fix the major issues.

I thought Tropico 4 was okay. Graphically, it did feel like Tropico 3 with a slightly new coat of paint. I mainly didn't like how it forced you to perform certain tasks before it revealed your ultimate objective. I much preferred knowing the main objective immediately and then achieving it as I pleased.

Fair point, that's not my intention. Tropico 3 and 4 are games that I can find so many flaws in precisely because I enjoy them so much that I've played both a great deal. I don't like Tropico 4 Modern Times, that's just silliness of the wrong sort, but Tropico 4 or Tropico 3 Gold are both very good games. Anno is usually a slightly better series, deeper and more balanced, but I enjoy the recent Tropico games more than Anno 2070.

- Quboid

7. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 26, 2014, 16:12 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 15:07:
Heh, Tropico doesn't simulate communist island dictatorship AT ALL. You are a god controlling a freighter terminal that gives you infinite money.

Anything else is just decor ;p Imo Tropico 2 3 and 4 were both shallow as hell and pretty bad compared to Tropico (the original)

A true el Presidente should be a God!

It's a fairly shallow simulation of course, but I think it is fair to say that it's a communist island dictatorship simulator. How would you make a more communist island dictatorship simulator game without making it so complex as to be unapproachable?

- Quboid

5. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 26, 2014, 14:29 Quboid

Tropico 3 had plenty of changes but Tropico 4 felt like an expansion pack and with its Modern Times expansion pack was actually a worse game. It's purely cosmetic I know, but should half the population of my banana republic live in apartment buildings with helicopter pads on top?! The lack of content in Tropico 4 and Omerta City of Gangsters does not bode well, I hope they've either expanded their workforce or aren't spreading themselves as thinly.

There's quite a bit of balance work that needs done. In both Tropic 3+4 and OCoG, the first hour or so of a map was too slow but once you got a basic production line in place, the challenge disappeared and it just became a question of waiting for freighters to bring in your next wedge of cash. This needs evened out to create a more consistent difficulty curve.

I couldn't lose an election or civil war either. I don't think I ever actually tried to lose (which I might do when I regain an Internet connection) but I certainly tried making it as hard as I could and still walked every election without rigging anything. I attempted to engineer a sort of Che Guevara scenario where I'd run the island as an exploitative, militaristic capitalist but the hopeless communist revolutionaries just got wiped out every time they tried to attack a farm.

One thing that bugs me a little bit is that regardless of how communist or capitalist you are and your policies attempt to be, the whole island is always far more communist than any real nation has ever been. The government owns every building, sets every wage, sets rent, manages food production and distribution, education, health etc. I understand this from a gameplay point of view but if they could make different economic left/right policies actually change how the game plays rather than just who likes you, I think it could be a lot deeper.

- Quboid

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
135. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 12:15 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:34:
I've been using unblockus for a while but recently switched to https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ because they are cheaper.

They appear to be pretty good, how is bandwidth over these services? Can they max out a good Internet connection (55Mbit)?

It's rather bullshit that their 6 month deal is just a few bucks cheaper than their 12 month one. I'm sure I'm supposed to think that the 12 month deal is great value but it just looks like they've inflated the 6 month one to trick us.

- Quboid

4449 Comments. 223 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo