Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3921 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 20, 2013, 13:16 Quboid

I've had the otherwise excellent sleep mode waking up due to network wake but also since I got a new mouse (Logitech Performance MX, which charges via micro-USB) - when it's charging and the computer is asleep, it will randomly wake up. Flicking the switch under the mouse to off while charging solves this.

I got an Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5Ghz "Ivy Bridge" in April; what generation would this be?

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
75. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 22:12 Quboid

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 21:24:
Redmask wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 18:25:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 16:40:
Game reviews aren't the forum to air political viewpoints.

The irony in this post is overwhelming.

Forums themselves are a different manner. A professional video game review is completely different. Not taking the bait pal.

The irony in this post is overwhelming.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
55. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 16:52 Quboid

Yuastnav, I think you are missing InBlack's point. If he punched people in the face then he would be personally responsible. If he raped someone, he would be personally responsible. If he made a joke about rape which inspired someone else to rape somebody, he would not be personally responsible - the rapist would be.

I think that's InBlack's point, I may be wrong. I don't agree with it, I do agree with the importance of personal responsibility* but I don't think that precludes consideration and sensitivity. The crime is not the joke-maker's fault, legally or morally, but that doesn't mean they weren't being a dumb-ass.

* of course, everyone thinks they agree with it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Sep 19, 2013, 12:23 Quboid

PA handled it badly and stoked the fires. I don't think they should have apologised for the comic if they didn't want to, but cashing in on it was taking sides with the most objectionable of their supporters, endorsing their nasty comments even if they didn't mean to. If nothing else they're naive if the negative response surprised them.

The level of offence-as-a-hobby involved in the the anti-PA camp makes me just wish the whole nonsense would go away. Nobody's looking good at this point, probably including me.

Narf2029 wrote on Sep 19, 2013, 10:09:
Agreed - I think it's a good move on their part to not cover PAX because of all the intolerance Krahulik exhibits. I just don't get why people feel the need to hate something that ultimately has little to no effect on them personally.

That said, I doubt this will have any impact whatsoever. People just do not care unless something is directly causing them a problem at an individual level. The average person is fine turning a blind eye to persecution as long as they're not the one being persecuted.

Don't the 2 bold sentences directly contradict each other?

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: No plans for GTA V on PS4, says Rockstar. Sep 19, 2013, 07:42 Quboid

LittleMe wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 23:28:
how a potential sixth instalment in the GTA series would look like on PS4.

Um, the headline is fail?? Reading the article it seems clear that Dan Houser was talking about GTA VI, not V. Move along, nothing to see here.

Also, all he says is that they work on GTA one at a time which given the release schedule shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, so there's no plans for GTA6 on the PS3, 360, Xbone or PC either. Of course, I'm pretty sure they do have plans but they're not about to distract people from GTA5.

Not only is Joystiq's headline flat out wrong, it's barely a news story.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: At least 80 per cent of proceeds from new SimCity DLC to go to Red Cross… Sep 18, 2013, 16:30 Quboid

That's actually a really cool idea. Give money to charity and get the charity's services in-game.

I'd like to know what's meant by 80% of the proceeds. If that's not all of the profit then I'm not so keen. Selling a product and giving some but not all of the profit to charity always seems like emotional blackmail.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2013, 12:16 Quboid

nin wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 11:17:
WOOT! Waited years for this day!

http://imgur.com/mlkebDk

You bought a last-gen console?

GTA4 was one of the most disappointing games to me, GTA with annoying handling isn't much of a game at all. I bought an Xbox mostly for GTA4 but I barely used it and sold it. Not going down that road again, it's PC or nowt.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2013, 05:40 Quboid

Ant wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 03:24:
I am fine with my old 19" screens (LCD and CRT).

What are those, screens for ants?!

Oh right. Fair 'nough.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2013, 21:32 Quboid

I'm sure it's very unpleasant - classic British understatement - to lose your money in a scam but IMHO physical harm, or the threat of it, is fundamentally more scummy. You're crossing a line, you're telling the victim and the judge that you're prepared to use violence and that you're a menace to society.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 16, 2013, 21:05 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 20:38:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 20:31:
2020 Olympic Games To Broadcast In 8K.

The questions is, What's the point? You have to be within 3 feet of a 56" TV to tell 1080p from 4K. The difference between 4K and 8K is only discernible on five story high IMAX screens.

To sell more TVs! 3D didn't work for upgrades, now let's go 4K!

I have a top of the line (circa 2010) 58", and can definitely see a difference between it and the 4K I saw, even from 8 feet. But, is it a big difference? No, it just looks better, not clearly mind-blowingly better. And, for people with a 42", you're going to need to be on top of it.

I think the move to 4K makes perfect sense, but I don't see it happening at the pace TV manufacturers want. There won't be a rush. Like 3D, there's very little content, but unlike 3D content delivery is problematic at this resolution. And there's little need for it. I see it being a trickle - mostly just people buying 4K when they need a new TV, not people deciding 4K is important enough to buy a new TV for.

The day 4K 27"+ AMOLED monitors become available and affordable, I'll upgrade. Of course, a monitor has much higher demands in terms of clarity and I'd expect 300+ PPI ("retina") monitors to become the norm.

It will be a trickle. I saw a ~50" 4K TV in my local Sony shop, I thought it looked better than 1080p but the TV cost around £4K - that's laughable. It won't even trickle until it's a quarter of that price.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 16, 2013, 15:22 Quboid

More than the cash value is considered for sentencing, armed robbery can result in trauma - physical or mental.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2013, 14:50 Quboid

I was tempted by the One because of its speakers. Are they any good?

I went with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 instead, I don't regret it but I probably wouldn't regret the One either.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Google street view car Sep 16, 2013, 11:42 Quboid

Creston wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 10:50:
Giving truth to the perception that Indians can't drive for shit.

What do Indians have to do with it?

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 14, 2013, 08:18 Quboid

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 14, 2013, 00:35:
the thing that I don't understand is why the US gov't is actually admitting to all this shit. I thought the rule was, "everyone knows you do it, but you never say you're doing it." that kind of hubris always comes before the fall.

Why not? People who care are dismissed as supporting traitors by major news networks who, like turkeys voting for Christmas, seem to want people with Snowden's information arrested. Never mind that working with leaked information IS THEIR OWN FUCKING JOB.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Arma III
65. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 13, 2013, 09:08 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 08:15:
Quboid wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 07:52:
I'd like to join a community for mature gamers. Not necessarily skilled gamers (as that would exclude me), just gamers that want to play according to both the rules of the game and the spirit of the game. I'd pay a few bucks a month to contribute to game servers and a Teamspeak server. If this Mature Gamers Alliance had 100,000 members it could afford good servers with admins ready to kick repeat TKers and permanently ban deliberate griefers.
Check out ShackTactical
http://dslyecxi.com/shacktac_wp/
Their videos on youtube are awesome! Even the longer ones 1hr+ really enjoyable and fun to watch.

Interesting, I'll watch some of their videos. They possibly have too high an expectation of competency but that's the sort of thing I want. Thanks.

- Quboid

64. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 13, 2013, 08:18 Quboid

Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 08:12:
Yeah public servers in ArmA can be chaos. It's better played on server communities with a defined play style. This is partly why I hardly play the game MP because I don't have the time to join these communities.

Quboid wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 07:52:
Like I said, it took about 20 minutes to get enough votes the first time and when he returned with a more complicated name, not enough people could figure out exactly what to type. A simple numeric ID could have helped.
Players have always been assigned numerical IDs. If you look in the server's name list you'll see it. Usually a 5 digit number. The vote command works with IDs or player names.

Where is that? Is that the player list that you can view on the map? This would help if people knew about it.

- Quboid

61. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 13, 2013, 07:52 Quboid

Chat votes on public servers are a pest, too many people don't follow what's going on or don't understand English so it's hard to get a majority. Like I said, it took about 20 minutes to get enough votes the first time and when he returned with a more complicated name, not enough people could figure out exactly what to type. A simple numeric ID could have helped.

An attentive admin could have fixed the problem in about 2 seconds.

I'd like to join a community for mature gamers. Not necessarily skilled gamers (as that would exclude me), just gamers that want to play according to both the rules of the game and the spirit of the game. I'd pay a few bucks a month to contribute to game servers and a Teamspeak server. If this Mature Gamers Alliance had 100,000 members it could afford good servers with admins ready to kick repeat TKers and permanently ban deliberate griefers.

- Quboid

58. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 12, 2013, 20:52 Quboid

D4rkKnight wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 20:49:
To vote someone off you have to type their name in chat with a pound some or something stupid shit. Nobody knows how to do it or cares and there is no integrated gui elements that assist. It's very sloppy and I've been in the same situation - the guy was never kicked but luckily the map was so large I never ran into him.

This was a co-op mission with everyone spawning at the central airport. He camped outside, shooting down any helicopters that attempted to actually play the mission. No one could avoid him, no one could play the mission. Even if he was found and killed, he respawned and started over with zero penalty.

- Quboid

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 12, 2013, 20:26 Quboid

Just played 2 hours of co-op. It was fun until a griefer joined, then the server of 40 people was ruined. 39 wanted to play, 1 wanted to grief and that was that. I'm not even mad at the griefer, it's just so negligent by BIS to let this happen. Have they never gone online in any game ever before?

Why the hell, after 20 years of multiplayer FPS gaming, is this still a problem? Why the hell could someone team-kill time after time? Why is it so awkward to kick someone that getting enough votes took 20 minutes the first time (with people in voice and text chat urging others to vote and explaining how) and impossible when he came back with a slightly hard to spell name. That's pathetic, BIS.

Time-kills happen but it is so easy to wreak it as fun. The first time you TK, you get 30 seconds added to your next respawn time. The next time, you get 2 minutes added and you get killed immediately. The third time, you get kicked.

Would that be so fucking hard?

It might be a really good game when they finish it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Sep 11, 2013, 21:24 Quboid

PHJF wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 19:41:
Not a review, but TotalBiscuit says Brothers: Tale of Two Sons is the best game he's ever played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz3EmqraAxc

I bought the game after watching about 4 minutes of that, and played it through. Very good game, I highly recommend it. Not as good in my opinion as it is in TotalBiscuit's, but each to their own. You do need a gamepad, it's essential.

<spoilers>
No really, spoilers. If you haven't played the whole game and there's even a 1% chance that you will (and you really should), stop reading.

I really how it handles the big loss near the end. To have such a plot and such good characters without a single real word written or said is impressive but what I found really amazing was how the game made my gamepad kick me in the nuts. I absolutely hated pressing Big Brother's interact button, and I absolutely loved the game for making me feel this way.

</spoilers>

- Quboid

3921 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo