Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4576 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2015, 14:10 Quboid

Happy New Year everyone!  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
73. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 19:05 Quboid

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 18:18:
I defend speech and fiction I dislike, even detest. I recognize the complexities of issues, the balances that are best struck, the dangers of the well-intentioned who "Only want to make the world a better place!", and I don't position myself as the defender of the poor public who needs the constant stewardship of my preferred political and social cliques in order to truly prosper.

I also don't defend my political and social opinions as the stuff of utter scientific fact.

Do you dislike or detest this game, or what we know of it at this time?

If so, would you say that despite this game seeming really tasteless, it is the developer's business for them to develop what they want regardless of our opinions?

- Quboid

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
64. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 17:23 Quboid

Flatline wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 16:58:
Dude, there are at least half a dozen posts in this thread where people are saying this "crosses the line" or "pushes the boundary" or is "going too far".

No, nobody is saying "CENSOR ALL THE THINGS" verbatim but they're using language that certain things like this game shouldn't be allowed. It's disingenuous to pretend that it isn't a passive-aggressive call for censorship.

There are people (including me) who are essentially saying "this should not be made" but that is very different to saying "this should not be allowed to be made". The former is their own opinion and their own freedom of expression, it is not a call for anyone else's freedom of expression to be limited. This is not disingenuous, the distinction is very real and very significant.

I'm sure there are people who would want this completely banned. I don't agree with them.

edit:
You probably have a higher proportion of posts discussing social issues than anyone else here. Does that make you an SJW?

I was wondering about that too. Is he an Anti-Social Justice Warrior or a Social Injustice Warrior?

- Quboid

News Comments > QUAKE on an Oscilloscope
12. Re: QUAKE on an Oscilloscope Dec 30, 2014, 09:18 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 02:18:
Mad Max RW wrote on Dec 29, 2014, 19:57:
I love how the comments on that turned into a retarded slap fight between youtubers and redditors.

Use the Chrome extension Hide Fedora, you won't regret it.

What does it do? "those annoying le reddit, fedora, m'lady type of comments on YouTube should be removed" - what does that mean? Does it hide YouTube comments based on key words? Does it hide comments based on the user's own criteria? Is it just a way of pretending people you disagree with don't exist?

- Quboid

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
7. Re: Hardware Reviews Dec 29, 2014, 22:59 Quboid

Sennheiser won't disappoint. I haven't used their HD 280 headphones but its reputation is impeccable and my HD 600 phones from 15 years ago still sounded great when I last dusted them off.

I use Logitech G930 headset because it is wireless. The sound quality is good but wireless will never sound as good as equivalently priced wired sets. The battery lasts about 8 hours, which in practise means plugging them in overnight after a couple of gaming sessions. The virtual surround sound is pretty good; not as good as well placed speakers but better than any other headphones/headset I've used, physical or virtual.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 28, 2014, 22:00 Quboid

Why the hell wouldn't people be angry? That guy is just an obnoxious cock and there is a world of difference between what he's doing and all the other examples he lists. By ignoring all context, what he is doing has nothing to do with the surveillance debate (and as such, neither does my criticism of him).  

- Quboid

News Comments > SPINTIRES Developer/Publisher Spat
3. Re: SPINTIRES Developer/Publisher Spat Dec 28, 2014, 21:32 Quboid

I hope they can get it straightened out. The game is a little disappointing IMHO but better maps would help a lot so if he can continue development it could be great fun.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 28, 2014, 16:27 Quboid

Kosumo wrote on Dec 28, 2014, 14:57:
Maybe they could do a superlame cross-over of Elder Scrolls Vs Fallout.

One day it will happen.

How much better would The Elder Scrolls 4 have been if the Oblivion gates took you to places in Fallout 3 and New Vegas?

- Quboid

News Comments > GSC Making Cossacks 3
5. Re: GSC Making Cossacks 3 Dec 23, 2014, 21:28 Quboid

GSC said the guys at West were working on a Stalker game for web browsers (from "the revived" link) so West's claim to be a successor is basically just a joke.

I presume that they're not on firm financial footing so it makes sense to aim a little lower than Stalker 2 at first.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
21. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 22, 2014, 16:06 Quboid

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 15:08:
Prez wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 14:41:
I have Kim Jong Il on my block list.

Kim Jong Un is annoyed at your disrespect to his father!

He didn't die, Kim Jong Un is just an alt he made because so many people have blocked him.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 22, 2014, 14:41 Quboid

Verno wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 14:18:
Shineyguy wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 13:29:
You know, it's as if these countries talk about invading the U.S. without considering the fact that a good portion of our Civilian population is armed. It's great that they think they can take on our Military 1 on 1, but they never consider the people that live here and know their land, but also own guns.

Hahaha well, I think I would rather rely on our armed forces. People around here have enough problems getting city council organized, let alone a defense against an aggressor. Anyone with the combined air/sea/land might and infrastructure to actually invade the US would not have any problem handling Surburban Bob with his Remington 870.

That's all fantasy land stuff anyway, North Korea can't even maintain its roads, they aren't invading ours. All of the posturing is in hopes of loosening economic sanctions.

They're not actually threatening invasion, that would be too stupid for them to even lie about. They're ready to "stand in confrontation" so they're not even claiming to be able to beat any military, never mind a huge military, never mind launch the sort of attack that made Homefront and that Red Dawn remake look even stupider.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 22, 2014, 14:11 Quboid

Mashable disagree about The Interview going on Crackle:
http://mashable.com/2014/12/21/sony-lawyer-the-interview/

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released
55. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 12:41 Quboid

Comet wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 09:56:
One way or the other as far as i know there are only two model to support a MMO. The subscription model. And the F2P model. Both with their pros and cons.
Could you please confirm if you believe every game following the F2P model is in your opinion P2W?

Not if the things you can buy are purely cosmetic. I haven't played GW2 but solely by your description yes, it is P2W. Star Citizen is an interesting game and perhaps it will be great but there are plenty of reasons to have concerns - and talking about free-to-play models in a game that isn't free to play is one of them.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released
40. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Version 1.0 Released Dec 22, 2014, 08:56 Quboid

Comet wrote on Dec 22, 2014, 05:28:
Some of you mention P2W. have you done the math? A game is P2W when it is easier and cheaper to pay to get something especial or powerful instead of taking the time to get it. As an example, if you wanted you could get the best armor or weapon in a game like Guild Wars 2 using real money. But people don't consider GW2 P2W. Why? Because to get that best armor or weapon you would have to waste so much money that it makes a lot more sense just playing the game.
Same goes for SC. If you want, you can use real money to get a big ship. But that would cost you hundreds of dollars. It will make a lot more sense to just play the game to get the ship. SC model is exactly the same as the model used in GW2.
If you consider a game like Guild Wars 2 P2W then yes. SC is P2W. SC and pretty much every single F2P game in the market.
If you don't consider GW2 P2W then SC is not P2W as it is following the same model where it makes more sense to play the game instead of wasting real money.

I don't agree with your definition. P2W is easier but by definition not cheaper, but that's not my issue with it. In my opinion a game is P2W when you can pay to gain an advantage over other players or when it provides an incentive for the developer to penalise non-paying players. Star Citizen fails both these criteria.

Buying a better ship will provide an advantage in PvP or any competitive scene (e.g. racing to catch a nice bounty, mining where resources are limited). Exactly how much of an advantage depends of a lot of variables, many of which I don't know, but ultimately a better ship is better.

A bigger concern is a question of balance. Will these ships be as easy to earn in-game as they would be if they couldn't be bought? We will never know but there's really no developer I trust not to just tweak things to make getting something like a ship a little bit harder than they think gives the best experience to try to glean a few more "micro"transactions. This affects everything, presumably including single player if purchases carry over.

- Quboid

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
283. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 17:52 Quboid

Lorcin wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 15:53:
Quboid wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 13:21:

There was no line between my local star and my target on the Galaxy Map presumably because the stars were just out of range for my ship. Does that mean it is never jumpable even though I closed the distance?

To the best of my knowledge the nav tab doesn't show jumps completely out of range (or >20ly if you can jump that far). I doubt you truly closed the distance that much - even travelling at 1000c it would take nearly 9 hours to cover 1ly.

I don't remember the exact figures but the distance between the stars was about 7.6ly and my Sidewinder's max jump, after ditching half my cargo, was 7.4ly. I pointed her in the correct direction, hit full throttle and let it sit for 2 or 3 hours just tweaking the direction every so often while doing other things. I maxed out at 2001c but it took a long time to reach that speed.

- Quboid

278. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 13:21 Quboid

Dacron wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 13:04:
Quboid wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 10:09:
I had an issue where I couldn't jump to a star and I've don't know why - the error was "Frame shift cancelled :Jump Exceeds drive fuel use limit of 0.60 tons". It was within range accounting for cargo weight (according to the Galaxy Map's range calculator on one of its side tabs) and I could "Lock and engage hyper-cruise" on my nav computer - it gave the same error but it did give the option as if it agreed that it should be valid.

My local star was just too far from my target star to jump but I jettisoned some cargo and super-cruised for a couple of hours until I was within range. Is it the distance between stars that matters?

Your weight made it the star too far away to jump, dumping weight lowered your total tons and increased your travel distance.

In your navigation menu (the left screen in cock pit) was the target red, or the neutral amber color the text is in? Red + exceeds mass in the in cockpit navigation menu = unreachable.

Sorbago has been bringing me pain, getting interdicted/attacked by real players much better than myself... mouser only has its limitations lol.

It wasn't red on the navigation menu once I had closed the distance and chucked a couple of tons of precious cargo out. I had to make a different jump to a star that was closer to my local star which had been in range the whole time.

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 13:19:
I had to make my first route plot to a system 10 or so jumps away. I kind of freaked out because the line went from solid to dashed. If you can't make the jump, the lines should disappear. Turns out, that point is where you run out of fuel...I never noticed that before.

There was no line between my local star and my target on the Galaxy Map presumably because the stars were just out of range for my ship. Does that mean it is never jumpable even though I closed the distance?

- Quboid

273. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 10:09 Quboid

Are you guys all around Sorbago? I'm quite far away, probably about 200 jumps.

I haven't done any faction stuff really, I don't really know what's going on in that regard. I've got some rep with the Federation because much of my trading has been around their territory but it's minimal.

I had an issue where I couldn't jump to a star and I've don't know why - the error was "Frame shift cancelled :Jump Exceeds drive fuel use limit of 0.60 tons". It was within range accounting for cargo weight (according to the Galaxy Map's range calculator on one of its side tabs) and I could "Lock and engage hyper-cruise" on my nav computer - it gave the same error but it did give the option as if it agreed that it should be valid.

My local star was just too far from my target star to jump but I jettisoned some cargo and super-cruised for a couple of hours until I was within range. Is it the distance between stars that matters?

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Dec 19, 2014, 15:21 Quboid

Julio wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 06:29:
Quboid wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 01:51:
You switched from this being legally enforced to something stores handle, why?

I was answering Beamer's claim that it was impossible to not have regional pricing. The point was that technically it's quite possible.

He didn't claim that not doing it is impossible, he said that making it illegal is impossible. You're moving the goal posts.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Dec 19, 2014, 01:51 Quboid

"Regional pricing should be illegal."
"I'm curious to see how it's truly impossible for the same price to be offered across all regions. Steam has the technical ability to do it,"

You switched from this being legally enforced to something stores handle, why?

If the price is too high for some regions, they go without it and piracy increases. Exactly. How does this help you? How does this make you fund their hobby less? At least if they pay a small price, they're helping fund the game a bit.

Oh, and "gaming isn't welfare"? Are you saying that publishers these days aren't doing a good enough job of putting the almighty dollar before everything else? Do you really think these companies, Valve or each game's publisher, do regional pricing for any reason other than to extract every possible bit of money from every possible corner of the globe? Do you think they charge us extra to make up for this supposed lost sales income? They don't, for the very simple reason that regardless of any other circumstances, they're obviously going to charge us whatever will make them the most money.

Forcing pricing on Valve is free market in the same way that telling Valve that they must list a particular game is freedom of expression - the opposite.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2014, 01:58.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
26. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 18, 2014, 23:17 Quboid

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 12:01:
What a wonderful precedent. All you need to shut something down now is to make a vague threat.

Alamo Drafthouse In Dallas/Fort Worth To Show 'Team America' Instead Of 'The Interview'

I like them. They have balls. I like balls.

They just got neutered.

https://deadline.com/2014/12/paramount-cancel-team-america-1201329597/

- Quboid

4576 Comments. 229 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo