Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3924 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
49. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 4, 2014, 10:22 Quboid

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 10:16:
Look how easily upset you get, Beamer. Gay marriage is not your problem.

No, I'm pretty sure his problem is idiots insulting him armed with nothing but bullshit.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 4, 2014, 09:42 Quboid

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 09:39:
Quboid wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 09:38:
Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 09:37:
Quboid wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 09:29:
More importantly, you don't have to contribute money to something to support it.

But that rule doesn't apply to Eich's $1,000 donation?

Er? That rule isn't relevant.

According to who? Are you the morality police? Beamer?

According to the language that we're communicating in. Morality has nothing to do with that line. People who do give money have nothing to do with that line.

- Quboid

44. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 4, 2014, 09:38 Quboid

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 09:37:
Quboid wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 09:29:
More importantly, you don't have to contribute money to something to support it.

But that rule doesn't apply to Eich's $1,000 donation?

Er? That rule isn't relevant.

- Quboid

42. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 4, 2014, 09:29 Quboid

A line thrown into an article on what looks like a really partisan site isn't a source. That whole site is a waste of electrons. Reading sites like that (left-wing or right-wing) make you much less informed.

More importantly, you don't have to contribute money to something to support it. That makes my skin crawl. You think that someone's views should correlate with their income? "Oh interesting opinion but you don't have any money so I don't give a shit". "Oh interesting opinion but you're not buying off politicians so clearly you don't really care". "Oh interesting opinion but saying one thing and not throwing money at it makes you a hypocrite for some reason".

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Apr 2, 2014, 22:07 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 22:02:
Excellent vid. There is only one thing any "psychic" has to do to prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are the real deal. And that is provide me the forthcoming winning numbers to the next major lotto jackpot. If they can do that, I'm a believer. Funny how none of them have managed this simple feat. Shit, you can talk to the dead but can't pull a few winning numbers out of the air? That should be child's play.

I agree with you Cutter. In fact, it's so easy for them to make a million bucks. You might even say that it's unbelievable that no one has taken this easy money:
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

Edit:

And that's why you watch the video before commenting.

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2014, 22:12.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 2, 2014, 21:38 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 20:09:
I'm actually with Cutter here. I think that it will catch on with enthusiasts, but go no further.

Does anyone think that VR as it is now will be for anyone more than enthusiasts? That seems like a strawman argument, I'm sure some idiots have made wild predictions (cue everyone searching my post history) but AFAIK those who are excited about VR like I am aren't expecting CoD-Bros to use it in the near future (5+ years).

It seems that a lot of Cutter's posts recently having just been relentless pessimism. His opinion isn't the craziest I've seen on this board but it seems that every Oculus Rift thread (amongst other subjects) isn't complete without him making sure everyone knows how he feels (and how right he was about 3D TV). We get it, you don't think it will catch on. Please either stop saying this or add to the thread with reasons why. "This will flop like 3D TV" barely added to the conversation the first time it was posted.

Isn't Squadron 42 a single player game element of Star Citizen?

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2014, 21:57.

- Quboid

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 2, 2014, 20:00 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 19:42:
Hey, I'm first in line for a holodeck, but when it comes to people strapping tv's to their faces colour me skeptical. Shit, 3D were just some stupid glasses and people found those annoying as hell. It just ain't gonna' happen.

Like a broken clock being right twice a day, always predicting negativity and failure doesn't make you a soothsayer when it happens.

I know you correctly predicted that 3D TVs would be a fad and I know you're still feeling very smug about this and I'm sure whoever on here that said otherwise is suitably shamed. You're entitled to your opinion and you're entitled to make your point but you repeatedly make the same point on every thread about seemingly everything which is to predict anything that's different to what you know will fail.

Is there any AAA game, any remake, any new service or any technology in it's infancy that you do expect to succeed?

- Quboid

21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 19:40 Quboid

Article by Cory Banks about the Oculus Rift on PC Gamer. Is that the article? That's encouraging. It's Crystal Cove, not DK2, but the differences are minimal and in DK2's favour.

I could throw up with DK1. I'm quite prone to travel sickness and suchlike so I'd expected worse but there's definitely times when I feel queasy. Part of this is down to the screen and the tracking and I know both of these are improved. Movement tracking (in addition to rotation tracking) will help because, although it's far more intuitive than TrackIR ever was for me, it clearly needs to be held to a much higher standard.

I've no doubt much of this has improved with DK2 and will improve more with CV1 (higher refresh rate at least). However, there are other causes. When my movement and my rotation is controlled by other things, it feels odd. Moving my character and turning left and right with the KB&M while turning left, right, up and down with the Rift is odd.

I need to try more games, a few FPSs with separate head and body movement, because games with both controlling the whole character don't really work. Perhaps I'll get used to it or perhaps newer models' improvements solve this - it's impossible to say what exactly is off, perhaps it's the low refresh rate and high persistence and with these fixed my brain won't fizz.

Right now, this is my biggest concern because bigger problems (resolution, movement tracking, refresh rate, display persistence and resolution) are being dealt with. I don't know if this is or ever can be.

- Quboid

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 2, 2014, 16:21 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 15:28:
I think expectations are:

DK2 1080P
Consumer Version 1440P

I hope so. 1440p means roughly 4 pixels to each 1 in the DK1. That should look good, perhaps equivalent to a 720p monitor.

You need to maintain a framerate to match the refresh rate, which is 60hz for DK1, 75hz for DK2 and probably 90hz for CV1. That means averaging 100+ FPS at 2560x1440, and if that is 720p equivalent then we'll need strong anti-aliasing as well. Eek. I don't have enough video memory (1GB) for good multi-sampling AA at that resolution and I'll have to turn down other settings considerably.

Motion sickness improves as you get used to it. I'm already able to use my DK1 for longer than I could on Monday. They say that higher refresh rates and using a low persistence display will help reduce this a lot, we'll see how true that is but I expect "quite a bit but not entirely". I can already tell that better software and better tracking will help.

- Quboid

7. Re: Oculus Rift Apr 2, 2014, 15:11 Quboid

Draugr wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 14:42:
The CV1 is supposed to be higher res then the dk2, or at least someone from Oculus has said as much. They havent' said what that res will be though.

I don't know if it will completely eliminate the screen door effect, but as I understand it, it's something that your eyes adjust to anyway, and the dk2 is quite the improvement on this.
It's only a really big deal for the objects further back, as I understand it. Anyway, hopefully a higher res (and not having to buy cellphone scraps) will improve upon this to where it's not a hurdle in the CV1 version, or so I hope.

Palmer Luckey said that the consumer version would be higher resolution than DK2 but he said it when listing various changes and could have just misspoke under pressure, AFAIK that's all they've said.

I think DK2 has an OLED display which doesn't use square pixels, which might help break up the image more.

- Quboid

3. Re: Oculus Rift Apr 2, 2014, 12:56 Quboid

I agree with him, the Oculus Rift and other current generation VR won't sell in particularly big numbers, as in, not enough to make $2B look any more reasonable. This sort of gear is very promising and I believe signals the point at which VR can exist in terms of the technology and the market, but it's not the point at which your stereotypical CoD-Bro will be in a hurry to get one. Something closer to large sunglasses will be needed for that.

I got an Oculus Rift DK1 a few days ago, it is very cool. There's definitely things which need work but it's promising. The resolution (640800 per eye) is even more of a problem than I'd expected, I'm not so sure 1080p will be enough for CV1 any more. I felt more used to the tracking after 10 seconds than I did with TrackIR after 10 hours, this is unexpectedly impressive.

- Quboid

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned
4. Re: Battlefield 4 Rubber Banding Fixes and Server Upgrades Planned Apr 2, 2014, 10:34 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 09:38:
Yeah its obvious that all those other people are talking shit, since the game works perfectly for you. Rolleyes

He didn't say anything about other people, just that these problems don't occur for everybody.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 10:17 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 09:36:
This is why I dont watch trailers. Even though Ive read the books and know what happens I still avoid them, they spoil not just the storyline but cheapen the experience of watching the show. Movie trailers are a big no no for me as well. With regards to Ser Jorah, he is a rather strange characte as the only truly romantic character in the whole damn series.

I really dislike trailers for this reason too. It seems like many of the people who make trailers either don't know understand or don't care about how they can spoil a show. You don't need to give away the ending to spoil the plot, never mind the general experience.

However this isn't a trailer, it's a "trailer". It's not from the makers of the TV show and doesn't use any new footage. If you have seen GoT series 1 - 3, there's nothing you lose from this. If you have not seen all 3 series, I wouldn't watch this at all, not even their spoiler-free version.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 1, 2014, 15:15 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 14:22:
Pigeon wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 14:09:
Creston wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 13:25:
Eh, I thought he was asking if it could hurt someone if it just refracted without direct contact. Not sure why I thought that.

The laser just going into the cockpit is very distracting, and like you said, that's not what a pilot needs on takeoff/landing, especially not in a helicopter...

Right, and both Helicopters were emergency services vehicles. One a police copter and the other an emergency transport for a children's hospital (which had a patient in it at the time). The sentence seems harsh, but the perpetrator was already on probation so that may have factored into it as well. Basically he was having his fun at other people's expense and safety and then got caught. I don't feel bad for him.

That's not a sentence, that's what he's facing.

People very, very, very rarely get 100% of what they're facing. It's much more common for them to get 0% of what they're facing.

What's the difference between what someone is facing and what they're sentenced to? Is what they're facing the maximum sentence? What the prosecution is asking for? What they'll actually serve?

- Quboid

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 1, 2014, 14:49 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 13:21:
Even assuming this is possible (it really kind of isn't) and happens (it really won't), so fucking what? Let OR rot. Some other company will see the potential, see how FB ruined the potential, and if VR sets are a good idea (and they may not be), we'll still get them

This is ultimately why I'm not that bothered about Facebook's take-over. Worst case scenario, they put VR back 24 months at most. Probably less, I doubt Sony were the only competitors even before Facebook made everyone sit up and take notice.

I think it's more likely that they won't significantly interfere for a year or two and in this time period, their influence could be positive. I expect it's easier for Oculus to find people willing to sell them 6 inch 120hz low persistence 1440p panels now. I certainly hope so.

- Quboid

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2014, 11:14 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 10:42:
3 Day early access starts to for ESO.

If you have the game or are getting it, add me in game and I will send invite to BluesNews Pact. @xXBatmanXx

Ebonheart Pact will start you at the same location as the current members. If you choose another Pact, I think it will be some time before we can meet up.

I got into the beta. I spent 15 minutes setting up a character, then it crashed. I loaded it up, it had lost my progress, I left and haven't looked at it since.

Am I missing much? I've enjoyed TES but an MMO setting would seem to be the antithesis of what makes it enjoyable.

- Quboid

6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2014, 10:01 Quboid

Fleche wrote on Apr 1, 2014, 09:59:
It would have been funnier just to make people refresh over and over trying to get it to change.

That would have got me. If he'd put up this OotB and not changed the logo, I would have been Ctrl+F5-ing until the penny dropped.

- Quboid

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 31, 2014, 16:08 Quboid

I saw a 4K TV for sale locally that was about 45", it looked nicer than 1080p - but at 4,000, it would need to!

I heard "we don't need more" arguments with standard def, 720p and 1080p. It's true, we don't need more, but it's nice. I think 3D will eventually become widespread but not until the problems with current implementations are fixed. Uncomfortable headwear for a worse picture isn't good enough. 4K is different, it doesn't have any direct downsides. Related problems (price, lack of content) will improve, much like with 1080p 10 or 15 years ago.

I've now seen first hand what we already knew - 720p(ish) isn't nearly enough for VR. It doesn't need 4K but I hope the Oculus Rift CV1 has 1440p, not 1080p.

- Quboid

News Comments > New DayZ Studio; Future Plans Detailed
14. Re: New DayZ Studio; Future Plans Detailed Mar 30, 2014, 12:10 Quboid

harlock wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 11:47:
Rossafur wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 01:00:
Eirikrautha wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 21:32:
This game has outlived its time. If it had come out a year ago, it could have been highly successful. But at this point, the development-hell has created a situation that will render it irrelevant by the time it finally comes out...

Guess they'll be laughing all the way to the bank about how they managed to make a fortune before releasing an irrelevant game in its finished form. Success is measured in dollars and cents.

justin beiber makes millions of dollars a year - does that mean his music is good?

No, it means he's successful.

- Quboid

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 29, 2014, 12:17 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 21:49:
shihonage wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 17:49:
Oculus Rift is a convention device. It works great at conventions where the exposure is limited. Once you own it, you will realize that it is nauseating and impractical to use.

He's speaking from hands on experience folks.

Is he? I don't know if he owns one and I don't know if you're being sarcastic.

I technically own one but it's still in Parcelforce's hands. Delivery due 28/03/2014, A.K.A. yesterday.

- Quboid

3924 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo