Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4186 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jan 31, 2014, 13:57 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 13:39:
I don't watch Let's Play vids for what the poster is saying. I watch them to see gameplay, graphics, etc. to see if it's my kind of game and if I'll like it.

Now, if my favorite podcasters had become compromised, I'd be pissed.

I watch them for the game and largely judge the game based on that. I listen to the commentator mainly for a laugh although some opinions will filter through that way. If TotalBiscuit says that the input lags horribly or that he couldn't get more than 30FPS, I take that on board.

The YouTube reviewers I trust are:
TotalBiscuit
AngryJoe*
Worth-A-Buy*
NerdCubed*
Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation)*
James Allen (Out of Eight)

* More like comedians than reviewers or critics but the game still shows through.

A couple of these could well be on the take. I've no idea about NerdCubed although in fairness, he's barely giving an opinion. It's pretty much him farting about. Oo8 is on Bluesnews so he's obviously a good guy.

The recent controversies have made me more suspicious, in particular people saying that this is widespread as if that's somehow better. Worth-A-Buy seemed to praise Echo Prime more than it warranted which made me wonder if he wasn't flattered to receive a pre-release game or something. I feel that's almost certainly unfair on Mack and it's a lot more likely that it happened to appeal to him or it was just a better game than it appeared in a few minutes of footage.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Salt Lake Layoffs
7. Re: EA Salt Lake Layoffs Jan 30, 2014, 22:18 Quboid

Don't give him attention, Beamer. He's not going to be convinced.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jan 30, 2014, 19:49 Quboid

Extra mature Stilton blue cheese is bloody beautiful stuff. Weeks, even a month after the silly use by date, let it mature until it starts sweating and eat with fruit/juice.

It should be strong enough to power a rocket and the mould should be sufficiently evolved to come to you when you whistle.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jan 30, 2014, 19:45 Quboid

Is the latest Splinter Cell, Blacklist, any good? I liked the first few Splinter Cell games very much and I'd welcome a return to that. When Ubisoft went off the rails with their DRM I ignored the series but it isn't used any more. I'm not keen on Uplay but I'm putting up with it for Far Cry 3 these days and it's not killing me.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week
41. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 19:43 Quboid

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 15:57:
Riker wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 15:49:
That's a pretty cool story. It must've been crushing to fail to get picked up by a publisher and then fail to get funded on Kickstarter. Good for them.

The problem with the kickstarter is they held back the 'real demo' once the real demo leaked via torrent (the pre-order preview). Then everyone got on board. So they kinda failed themselves unfortunately when they tried to kickstart.

They released a free tech demo that is pretty much the same as the Kickstarter one. AFAIK the only difference is that the free one lacked AI cars. Perhaps the physics gun too? The Kickstarter one is better but there's no need to go torrenting it.

Maybe this was added towards the end of the Kickstart. When I bought, I got a Steam key and could download the Early Access demo (laps, destruction derby) from Steam even though it wasn't on the Steam store at the time. I also got the extended tech demo from their site.

- Quboid

News Comments > Wayward Terran Frontier Kickstarter
3. Re: Wayward Terran Frontier Kickstarter Jan 30, 2014, 11:29 Quboid

This must be really popular, I searched Google for WTF and apparently everyone is asking about it.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released
19. Re: Battlefield 4 Mantle Update Released Jan 30, 2014, 11:22 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 10:04:
What most come here wanting to see:

1: Low-end single-player
14% faster

2: 64-player multi-player
25.1% faster

3: Multi-GPU single-player
58% faster

Not bad, lol to where the numbers really look good they put in an Intel Processor, sure Crossfire to, but still lol. Will be interesting to see what a $300 Intel quad will do, aka what more of us have.

It will be nice when publications that do a better job, pump out some benches.

That's very impressive if these are truly representative, especially on high end systems. I saw no reason to believe their performance increases were any better than driver updates talking about huge boosts. We'll see.

I wasn't aware of any reason to expect this to be compatible with Nvidia hardware. If this is effective I'm sure they'll work on something if they're not already. It would be nice if it's compatible but a period of fragmentation is a price worth paying for some innovation.

Do next/current/whatever gen consoles use anything like this, or could they through software/firmware upgrades?

- Quboid

News Comments > Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week
10. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 11:14 Quboid

It's a lot of fun, I bought it after watching NerdCubed's review commentary. I probably won't pay that much for an unfinished game again but is good and I've backed worse projects. Destruction Derby is a lot of fun, it takes me back to the classic game.  

- Quboid

News Comments > EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4
37. Re: EA Taking Lessons From Launching BF4 Jan 29, 2014, 15:30 Quboid

Prez wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 14:26:
Veterator wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 14:24:
EA takes lessons from a lot of things. They just never seem to remember them when it'd be useful.

How many times in the last 5 years has EA said they were learning or changing things to improve anything? Probably as many times as they've had a big public problem, and it just keeps happening.

When it hits them in their financials and investors start grumbling loudly enough as they have with BF4 I think maybe they'll be a little more proactive in taking these particular lessons to heart. Often the best lessons are the most painful ones.

Getting sued by shareholders for your biggest game of the year being a buggy mess has got to sting. That'll buck people up a lot more than moaning customers who'll probably buy your next title anyway.

Why has their share price doubled over the last 18 months? Is this a correction to it halving in the previous 18 monts and bombing during the global financial crisis in 2008?

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 29, 2014, 11:03 Quboid

TotalBiscuit touches on this in a recent VLOG.

I don't take any deals which require me to give opinions, I'm not a fan of that, and I won't be taking any in the future either. It doesn't seem like the right way of doing things.

He gets it.

- Quboid

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 29, 2014, 10:04 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Jan 29, 2014, 09:47:
Yeah because playing shitty games all day and going to boring events is so much better than cash in hand.... Rolleyes

Is that in response to me describing going press events as a bribe? If they get content which gets them viewed, these boring events result in cash.

- Quboid

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 29, 2014, 09:45 Quboid

Those guys just don't get it. The top comments on the Reddit thread by paid YouTuber that the article links to are interesting. There's some people explaining my concerns better than I can but then the YouTube whore replies and digs himself in deeper.

As a youtuber taking money to make specific videos often (not always) goes hand in hand with getting exclusive press access to new games/DLC. Turning down the money means turning down the press access or not being able to afford the trip to an event.

Wow, OK, since you're being bribed in several additional ways I guess that's fine then.

- Quboid

News Comments > NASCAR '14 Pre-Purchases
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2014, 23:01 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 21:23:
Jedi Master wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 18:22:
It always baffles me how many people seem to think that racing is about a driver beating a track. If that was the case, it would just be whoever lapped the best time and they'd be done with it.
The inclusion of right turns along with left hardly makes some big difference in the competition, it's a detail. Of course, if you look at many other racing disciplines they MOSTLY turn right, with a few lefts thrown in. I'm not sure why turning LEFT is seen as so miserable.

Oval racing since the laps are much shorter makes it door to door racing, which some other motorsports would love to have on their grad prix tracks. But hey if many of Blue's Posters like Euro Truck Driver, really there is no reason to point fingers now. A good sim is a good sim. Not saying this offering here is, but in general. I go back to Papy Nascar 2 and Glide with video circle track racing.

But in Euro Truck Simulator, you go left, right, forward and backward!

I'd prefer more interesting tracks but focusing on turning left is rather missing the point. However, it's an easy target for cheap jokes and I'm in absolutely no position to criticise that!

- Quboid

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Jan 28, 2014, 19:49 Quboid

I can not understand why anybody would ever say what he said to anyone in any circumstances.

Beamer wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 18:34:
Oh good, now Kotaku is using shitty Upworthy-style headlines.

"This site wasn't getting enough click traffic, what happened next will shock you and melt your soul!"

I hate that click-baiting shit. That stuff like this clever tweeter feed can even exist is annoying.

- Quboid

News Comments > NASCAR '14 Pre-Purchases
8. Re: NASCAR '14 Pre-Purchases Jan 28, 2014, 14:09 Quboid

The aspect of racing games that I tend to enjoy the most is dodging (or not) other racers; NASCAR seems to be geared towards this kind of thing. 30 is a lot more than I'd pay for the pleasure but I could pick this up at some point.  

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 28, 2014, 13:18 Quboid

How do they calculate the value, the exchange rate between ISK and USD/etc? I believe there's a system where you can buy a month's subscription for either real money or in-game ISK, which gives an exchange rate of sorts, but to extrapolate ~10,000,000,000 ISK to ~300,000 USD from just that seems to be pushing it rather.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Plans Confirmed
6. Re: Titanfall Beta Plans Confirmed Jan 28, 2014, 12:46 Quboid

So they're just assuming people who play betas aren't doing anything else on the 14th of February?

CoD1 and CoD4 were magnificent. Thanks in part to timing as I was the ideal age and I'd just got broadband so I could be an LPB in CoD1 deathmatches, they are the pinnacle of mindless, linear fun without being the relentlessly paced nonsense that CoD:MW2 and newer have been.

- Quboid

News Comments > Leaked Source 2 Screenshot?
24. Re: Leaked Source 2 Screenshot? Jan 28, 2014, 12:39 Quboid

I'm surprised because I thought it was dated, and I thought it was dated because no AAA games used it. I'm wrong about the Source engine, there's life in the old girl yet.  

- Quboid

22. Re: Leaked Source 2 Screenshot? Jan 28, 2014, 09:21 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 09:07:
Quboid wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 08:23:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 01:26:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 00:12:
Frijoles wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 22:08:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 19:56:
Update to Source engine is way overdue.

Haven't they been continually updating it over the years, adding new bits of technology to it? Get rid of the damn loading screens and I'll be happy with it.

The last major upgrade that I can think of was the "Lost Coast" level for HL2.

Is this sarcasm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine#Modularity_and_notable_upgrades

That pretty much backs up what DangerDog said, no? That only lists soft particles and hardware facial animations as new features, neither as big as HDR in my opinion. The other stuff, platform support, has nothing to do with how modern the engine is.

I just found it funny that you picked essentially the first update of hundreds and called it the last major one (it wasn't even on that list). I'd say the last major one was for Portal 2, that was the last one they were calling "Source 2".

What wasn't on that list, Lost Coast? I assume DangerDog was referring to the HDR effects that Lost Coast introduced in 2004 but which that article credits to DoD:S in 2005. Hundreds of updates? I was going off the list that you linked to and there's a grand total of 3 updates listed that actually modernise the engine.

I'm surprised that Titanfall will be using Source, I wonder what changes it has from Valve's Source games. That should push it.

- Quboid

19. Re: Leaked Source 2 Screenshot? Jan 28, 2014, 08:23 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 01:26:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 00:12:
Frijoles wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 22:08:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 19:56:
Update to Source engine is way overdue.

Haven't they been continually updating it over the years, adding new bits of technology to it? Get rid of the damn loading screens and I'll be happy with it.

The last major upgrade that I can think of was the "Lost Coast" level for HL2.

Is this sarcasm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine#Modularity_and_notable_upgrades

That pretty much backs up what DangerDog said, no? That only lists soft particles and hardware facial animations as new features, neither as big as HDR in my opinion. The other stuff, platform support, has nothing to do with how modern the engine is.

- Quboid

4186 Comments. 210 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo