Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4181 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released
3. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 14:34 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 13:41:
Weird timing here, I just played and beat the Conquest of the New World scenario yesterday. After finishing it I saw that there was Conquest of the New World Deluxe in my scenario list and assumed it just unlocked after having beat the first one. So I started playing this last night not realizing it was brand new content.

People play the Civ scenarios?

I enjoyed the WW2 one with Civ 2 but I've barely tried any since then - skirmish all the way. Maybe I should, I don't even know what they consist of.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > January Steam Hardware & Software Survey
6. Re: January Steam Hardware & Software Survey Feb 3, 2014, 16:09 Quboid

UHD wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:18:
I never really thought the Video Card Description statistics were all that useful. The Intel 4000 might be the most popular single GPU but Intel GPUs make up a little over 16% of Steam's userbase...

That's a testament to how many different models of Nvidia and AMD cards there are, Intel don't fragment their customer base nearly as much. Fairly meaningless, as you say.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 09:33 Quboid

Do you have life insurance, Blue? Because if you do, you could always use a little more, right? I mean, who couldn't?  

- Quboid

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 20:38 Quboid

I picked Seattle because they seemed like the underdog and because their 'defense' is well regarded and I play in defence. That's a bit tenuous as it's a different spelling and different pronunciation, plus a different football, but it's working out pretty well for me so far.  

- Quboid

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 16:56 Quboid

I've just noticed that the Super Bowl isn't on the BBC. Can you imagine, the Super Bowl with commercials?!  

- Quboid

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 14:42 Quboid

Philip Seymour Hoffman was 46? I've have guessed at least 10 years older than that and 20 wouldn't have surprised me given how these guys are usually older than I expect. I always like unremarkable looking people doing well in front of the camera in the film industry, it's nice to know that talent does get some people some places.

Tonight's my annual "what does 2nd down and 5 mean again? Is that the same as 7th down?" night. Good luck to whichever team I arbitrarily choose to back.

- Quboid

News Comments > EA Class Action Suit Plans
14. Re: EA Class Action Suit Plans Feb 1, 2014, 21:02 Quboid

I can only assume that these shareholders (or the lawyers who might - might - just be in it for the money) feel that they can prove that the price in the months before was artificially inflated.

"Everybody does it" isn't going to be a great defence in court, it just suggests that there's a lot of nervous executives at publishers around the world. Everyone talks up their product but there's an art to it - you don't make something up and lie to convince people it's true, you make something up and creatively tell the truth to convince people that it's true.

I don't know what specifically their suit is based on. I think they'd need to prove that senior people at EA knew about the problems and deliberately tried to keep them quiet.

- Quboid

11. Re: EA Class Action Suit Plans Feb 1, 2014, 20:13 Quboid

Panickd wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 19:57:
I am not sure what EA did in the wrong here from a stockholder perspective. They made a title and got it to the shelves in time for the holidays and it sold really well despite the roll out glitches which EA went to work fixing as soon as they could. What else could they do? Delaying the roll out would have screwed their earnings in a very important quarter which, so far as any shareholders should be concerned, would've been worse. Why were there no shareholder lawsuits over the SimCity launch which was botched just as badly if not worse?

This is just some bottom feeding law firm looking for some go away money.

Note: IANAL and this is just my understanding. Also, this is what I think is being alleged, I'm not saying this is what happened. Please don't sue me.

The shareholder's perspective is that EA knew that BF4 was flawed before it was released. Therefore, by telling investors before the launch that they were about to release this mega awesome new game, they intentionally mislead investors to push their share price up. Investors who then lost out when the problems became apparent and their value was hit.

I think that's the crux, EA allegedly knew it was flawed ahead of time and didn't warn people accordingly. If people in EA were selling their shares before the launch at the inflated price, this lawsuit is the least of their worries: I think that's insider trading as well.

SimCity was a screw-up, but I guess officially no one knew that was going to happen. You can't sue because your company accidentally messed up. Of course everyone saw that coming but I assume EA can claim that they didn't and that they believed they had prepared enough.

- Quboid

10. Re: EA Class Action Suit Plans Feb 1, 2014, 20:02 Quboid

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 16:40:
So the shareholders force them to push out games to meet quarterly expectations, and then sue when things don't turn out quite right? Screw them!

I agree, when shareholders are so unreasonable as to want their investment to do well then the company is justified in allegedly misleading shareholders. If only shareholders would be reasonable and not want their shares to do well or selfishly hope for a dividend, then the company wouldn't have to tell potential investors how great the game is when they allegedly knew it wasn't.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2014, 09:37 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 00:22:
PHJF wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 16:48:
Fion wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 12:31:
The only Youtuber critics I ever really trust are Totalbiscuit and Angry Joe because they are both more than willing to bash the fuck out of a game they think deserve it, and more often than not they are AAA releases like BF4.

TB loved BF4.

Given all the problems BF4 had, you think TB was bought off?

I don't think so, his main criticism is how little is new but he mentioned glitches. He said that some people are having crash issues, lag issues and frequent server disconnections and states that it's "unfortunate that the launch has been plagued with things like that". He's British, so "unfortunate" doesn't actually mean bad luck - that's him putting the blame squarely on EA/Dice.

He's since cited it as an example of the problem with and reviews in general and first impression reviews in particular, when the scale of problems only becomes apparent over time.

- Quboid

News Comments > Beyond the Sideline Football Announced
6. Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced Jan 31, 2014, 23:03 Quboid

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 22:52:
nin wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 22:23:
All 32 real American football teams with their real players and current rosters.

That can't be cheap.

Yeah. EA holds the NFL license so these guys must obviously be somehow connected to that rotten apple which does not bode well for the whole bunch...

The label 'NFL' is conspicuous in its absence, if they had the license it would be one of the first words in the press release. I doubt they have the proper NFL license but they may have some sort of access. I've known soccer games to have real players but not real competitions - even the daddy, Football Manager, has to fake a couple of competition names (unless you mod it, which they make ridiculously easy to do).

What do they mean by "All 32 real American football teams", are there 32 NFL teams? Are there other leagues? Are there not thousands of American Football teams throughout the country? I know you don't have promotion and relegation like most national soccer leagues but there must be other teams. College football?

- Quboid

News Comments > Beyond the Sideline Football Announced
2. Re: Beyond the Sideline Football Announced Jan 31, 2014, 22:22 Quboid

It sounds like Football Manager, but for football rather than football. Football Manager is great if you like sim-spreadsheets and it is fantastically realistic, perhaps the stat-heavy nature of football means it might be even more suited.

I think these guys made Out Of The Park, a baseball sim that is in some manner associated with Sports Interactive, the authors of Football Manager.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jan 31, 2014, 20:39 Quboid

Quinto would be pretty good as 47 IMHO, but this:

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 19:03:
Blue, Quinto is starring in the movie, but the Hitman role is being played by Rupert Friend, from Homeland.

I liked Olyphant, too bad they didn't keep him on. He's such a badass.

I'm not familiar with Rupert Friend (I don't recognise him from season 1 of Homeland and I didn't see what the fuss was about and stopped watching). Apparently Paul Walker was going to be in the role; I'm only familiar with him from the Fast and Furious stuff but I can't picture him as 47 at all.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: The Kotaku article Jan 31, 2014, 19:36 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 19:07:
Quboid wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 16:56:
Voting with your wallet is all that most publishers understand and I think more than a few developers are the same. Being indie doesn't mean you aren't all about money. I wouldn't blame anyone for taking this route although I'd usually ask nicely, at least at first.

But this is a conversation with devs, not publishers, and there's a difference between voting with your wallet and making your words important due to your wallet.

Do actions speak best? Yes, so vote with your wallet.
But if you're choosing to use your words, your wallet is less of an interesting facet.

I wouldn't throw it down as a threat or an ultimatum but there could come a point where I think a refund is warranted.

Chances are that if I'm trying to talk to the developer, I'm not going to talk about money - everything that needs to be said would be implied (i.e. whether I am a customer or a potential customer).

If I feel that a company will only listen to my wallet, I'm probably not going to talk to them at all. I can't imagine there'd be any point in posting my concerns with SimCity on their forum.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: The Kotaku article Jan 31, 2014, 16:56 Quboid

Voting with your wallet is all that most publishers understand and I think more than a few developers are the same. Being indie doesn't mean you aren't all about money. I wouldn't blame anyone for taking this route although I'd usually ask nicely, at least at first.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Jan 31, 2014, 13:57 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 13:39:
I don't watch Let's Play vids for what the poster is saying. I watch them to see gameplay, graphics, etc. to see if it's my kind of game and if I'll like it.

Now, if my favorite podcasters had become compromised, I'd be pissed.

I watch them for the game and largely judge the game based on that. I listen to the commentator mainly for a laugh although some opinions will filter through that way. If TotalBiscuit says that the input lags horribly or that he couldn't get more than 30FPS, I take that on board.

The YouTube reviewers I trust are:
TotalBiscuit
AngryJoe*
Worth-A-Buy*
NerdCubed*
Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation)*
James Allen (Out of Eight)

* More like comedians than reviewers or critics but the game still shows through.

A couple of these could well be on the take. I've no idea about NerdCubed although in fairness, he's barely giving an opinion. It's pretty much him farting about. Oo8 is on Bluesnews so he's obviously a good guy.

The recent controversies have made me more suspicious, in particular people saying that this is widespread as if that's somehow better. Worth-A-Buy seemed to praise Echo Prime more than it warranted which made me wonder if he wasn't flattered to receive a pre-release game or something. I feel that's almost certainly unfair on Mack and it's a lot more likely that it happened to appeal to him or it was just a better game than it appeared in a few minutes of footage.

- Quboid

News Comments > EA Salt Lake Layoffs
7. Re: EA Salt Lake Layoffs Jan 30, 2014, 22:18 Quboid

Don't give him attention, Beamer. He's not going to be convinced.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jan 30, 2014, 19:49 Quboid

Extra mature Stilton blue cheese is bloody beautiful stuff. Weeks, even a month after the silly use by date, let it mature until it starts sweating and eat with fruit/juice.

It should be strong enough to power a rocket and the mould should be sufficiently evolved to come to you when you whistle.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jan 30, 2014, 19:45 Quboid

Is the latest Splinter Cell, Blacklist, any good? I liked the first few Splinter Cell games very much and I'd welcome a return to that. When Ubisoft went off the rails with their DRM I ignored the series but it isn't used any more. I'm not keen on Uplay but I'm putting up with it for Far Cry 3 these days and it's not killing me.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week
41. Re: Next Car Game Makes $1 Million in One Week Jan 30, 2014, 19:43 Quboid

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 15:57:
Riker wrote on Jan 30, 2014, 15:49:
That's a pretty cool story. It must've been crushing to fail to get picked up by a publisher and then fail to get funded on Kickstarter. Good for them.

The problem with the kickstarter is they held back the 'real demo' once the real demo leaked via torrent (the pre-order preview). Then everyone got on board. So they kinda failed themselves unfortunately when they tried to kickstart.

They released a free tech demo that is pretty much the same as the Kickstarter one. AFAIK the only difference is that the free one lacked AI cars. Perhaps the physics gun too? The Kickstarter one is better but there's no need to go torrenting it.

Maybe this was added towards the end of the Kickstart. When I bought, I got a Steam key and could download the Early Access demo (laps, destruction derby) from Steam even though it wasn't on the Steam store at the time. I also got the extended tech demo from their site.

- Quboid

4181 Comments. 210 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo