Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4174 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 14:46 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 12:35:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 11:45:
Now will they jump on the next fad and tell us that curved movie theaters are better?

3D is a joke, I don't think 1 person here said "this will turn out well".

Oh yes, they did. There were several people claiming it wasn't a fad and it was here to stay...like the last several times it's come around, lol. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I'd include me in that. I think 3D will be almost ubiquitous. Why wouldn't it be? I can't think of a single problem with 3D and I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about it.

I also think that the 3D fad is over and has been for a couple of years. Why would it catch on? There's so many problems with current 3D technologies and implementations and I've heard countless complaints.

The fad was just a fad because the technology isn't there. Unwieldy glasses or having to keep your head in the exact right position just isn't good enough. 3D will start to truly take off when I can glance at a 3D TV as I walk past and see a proper image, on hardware which can be mass produced.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit
15. Re: Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit Feb 8, 2014, 10:18 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 14:58:
Quboid wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 11:35:
Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 11:12:
Can I just that say that as far as acronyms go, EUGH >>>>>> SCOTUS.

It just does a better job at conveying the feeling you'll have when they make yet another insane ruling.

Everyone reads that as SCROTUM, right? I've always assumed everyone does this but maybe it's just me.

No, that's just you.

Really? Oh. Oh well.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 7, 2014, 12:13 Quboid

I tried Flappy Bird out and unless I got duped into downloading the wrong app, it's this:
http://www.helicopter-game.org/

The same shit game we played for a few minutes 10 years ago and haven't thought of since.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 12:11 Quboid

By the way, if you think Sochi is bad, at least it's not as bad as the World Cup 2022 preparations in Qatar. They're not deporting many of the workers, they're repatriating their corpses.

I wonder why Sochi this year, Russia again in 2018 and Qatar in 2022 get such high profile sporting tournaments. I'm sure there's no connection between this and the head of the ECA (lobbying group for major clubs) got caught with 2 $70,000 Rolex watches by customs after a flight back from Qatar ... I don't even know why I mention it.

- Quboid

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 11:59 Quboid

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 10:27:
With the amount of security forces in place at Socchi, if a terrorist still manages to strike at the Olympics, we may as well just ditch the concept of security altogether. :\

No no no, it would prove we need more. Terrorist attacks (absolutely exactly) like this wouldn't have happened if we carried biometric ID cards and put more back-doors into our encryption standards.

They hate us for our freedom (not our military presence or definitely-not-acts-of-war drone strikes, grow up), so if we do away with our freedom then all will be peaceful!

- Quboid

News Comments > Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit
5. Re: Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit Feb 7, 2014, 11:35 Quboid

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 11:12:
Can I just that say that as far as acronyms go, EUGH >>>>>> SCOTUS.

It just does a better job at conveying the feeling you'll have when they make yet another insane ruling.

Everyone reads that as SCROTUM, right? I've always assumed everyone does this but maybe it's just me.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sledgehammer Gets Its Own CoD Title
8. Re: Sledgehammer Gets Its Own CoD Title Feb 6, 2014, 22:55 Quboid

nin wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 22:28:
Dagnamit wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 22:14:
nin wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 20:20:
Loopy wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 19:55:
I won't be happy until we have hourly CoD releases. < >

Yep. Spinning around the drain just a little faster...going to make that collapse even larger when it finally happens.

idk man. Each of these new CoD games gross at least 500 million dollars. If they they keep adding devs to makes these games, are they really doing that bad? Seems a boom, not a bust.

There's got to be a limit, at some point. WWII games got run into the ground. The next Need For Speed just got shelved. Remember how Band Hero and DJ Hero flopped, as people were tired of yearly music games?

At some point, there has to be saturation. I'm not saying it's this fall or anything like that, but I don't believe they can keep the forward momentum going forever. Certainly not enough to support 3 dev houses and the advertising each game costs.

It's good that they're each getting another year but I also get the feeling that this series is getting played out. Ghosts seemed to be received quite badly, particularly on the PC but not exclusively, and sales are well down too. Given how many people seem to rush out and buy the new CoD immediately, a bad instalment could have even more effect on sales of the next title - and start a spiral losing market share. Maybe Battlefield could have benefited but Dice stuffed that up.

- Quboid

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title
14. Re: EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title Feb 6, 2014, 09:07 Quboid

Task wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 23:44:
Another example, the view is warped though when recording as you can see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7fz__6B-4

However when you actually have the gear on and your eyes are focused against the oculus screen, it is not warped like that.

That looks amazing, I can't wait to play that game for 5 minutes and never ever ever again.

He refers a couple of times to monsters being a couple of inches from his face. I hope that's not literal, the screen is a couple of inches from his face but the monsters shouldn't appear that close. It could just be natural exaggeration.

- Quboid

News Comments > Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released
16. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 22:29 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 16:55:
Seventyfive wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:44:
Is Civ 5 any good? I stopped playing a few Civ's ago when my tank got destroyed by archers. Kind of thought that was some real bullshit.

It's bullshit if you think of it in terms of the real world.
But then again, most of the concepts of Civ are bullshit if you think about them like that.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it in terms of dice rolls.

I don't think it's that unreasonable. It should be rare, certainly, but if the archers don't conveniently stand at one end of a field facing the tanks for the entire battle it's not hard to see how a tank battalion could have trouble actually engaging them.

How does a typical tank battalion (50 tanks?) defeat a typical archery battalion (5,000?) in a city over several weeks without levelling the whole place? Archers could potentially pick off the crews when they get out to take a leak.

- Quboid

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title
5. Re: EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title Feb 5, 2014, 20:53 Quboid

I could never get used to Track-IR, I think largely because of the high sensitivity. I want 1:1 sensitivity.

I'd like know when the Oculus Rift will be available. This year?

- Quboid

News Comments > Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released
7. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 16:24 Quboid

Seventyfive wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:44:
Is Civ 5 any good? I stopped playing a few Civ's ago when my tank got destroyed by archers. Kind of thought that was some real bullshit.

I very much like Civ 5 and I think with both expansion packs it is now very well regarded.

There are some changes to the formula that some people don't like. In particular, 1UPT - One Unit Per Tile. Units no longer stack (except in special cases like a combat unit and a non-combat unit or passing mid-movement) so giant stacks of doom are no longer possible. I think is a big improvement as combat becomes a bit more about tactics than production. The AI didn't handle it too well but I think since the first expansion pack it has been fine.

Archers beating tanks is a controversial issue. I think it should happen, very occasionally, but it doesn't - not least because having such obsolete technology doesn't happen. There's less randomness in the combat so getting lucky is rare, even if you deliberately held a unit back as an archer I'm pretty sure it would be destroyed in one attack with the tank receiving little or no damage. If it attacked the tank (ranged attack, no danger to self) it might inflict 10% damage at most. (Figures my estimations after many hundreds of hours played, but not recently.)

Other changes: it's now hex based, rather than squares, which I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about; it's a bit shallow in places with fewer graphs and such like but it's not SimCity 2013 level uninformative or anything and there are mods to add more; network play was awful, I've heard it improved a lot with the last expansion (BNW) but I've no experience with it personally.

- Quboid

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2014, 14:53 Quboid

How I'm picturing Creston right now.  

- Quboid

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2014, 14:50 Quboid

nin wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 09:41:
Thought it was actually cool that Flea admitted what many haven't, over the years...

That's a nice touch. I don't think it's necessary for musicians to go crazy with their artistic integrity; I've no problem with artists doing this but I've no problem with artists liking to get paid either. If RHCP mimed on tour, they'd be dead to me.

Bruno Mars was actually very good, I didn't have high hopes. I really hate the musical montage system, whatever it's called, where each song only gets about a minute before they transition to the next. The previous Bowl had that too, do they always do this?

I'd take Bruce Springsteen playing 2 or 3 songs over any of that nonsense. Damn good music from the most American musician I can think of for the most American event I watch.

- Quboid

3. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 14:34 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 13:41:
Weird timing here, I just played and beat the Conquest of the New World scenario yesterday. After finishing it I saw that there was Conquest of the New World Deluxe in my scenario list and assumed it just unlocked after having beat the first one. So I started playing this last night not realizing it was brand new content.

People play the Civ scenarios?

I enjoyed the WW2 one with Civ 2 but I've barely tried any since then - skirmish all the way. Maybe I should, I don't even know what they consist of.

- Quboid

News Comments > January Steam Hardware & Software Survey
6. Re: January Steam Hardware & Software Survey Feb 3, 2014, 16:09 Quboid

UHD wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 14:18:
I never really thought the Video Card Description statistics were all that useful. The Intel 4000 might be the most popular single GPU but Intel GPUs make up a little over 16% of Steam's userbase...

That's a testament to how many different models of Nvidia and AMD cards there are, Intel don't fragment their customer base nearly as much. Fairly meaningless, as you say.

- Quboid

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2014, 09:33 Quboid

Do you have life insurance, Blue? Because if you do, you could always use a little more, right? I mean, who couldn't?  

- Quboid

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 20:38 Quboid

I picked Seattle because they seemed like the underdog and because their 'defense' is well regarded and I play in defence. That's a bit tenuous as it's a different spelling and different pronunciation, plus a different football, but it's working out pretty well for me so far.  

- Quboid

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 16:56 Quboid

I've just noticed that the Super Bowl isn't on the BBC. Can you imagine, the Super Bowl with commercials?!  

- Quboid

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2014, 14:42 Quboid

Philip Seymour Hoffman was 46? I've have guessed at least 10 years older than that and 20 wouldn't have surprised me given how these guys are usually older than I expect. I always like unremarkable looking people doing well in front of the camera in the film industry, it's nice to know that talent does get some people some places.

Tonight's my annual "what does 2nd down and 5 mean again? Is that the same as 7th down?" night. Good luck to whichever team I arbitrarily choose to back.

- Quboid

News Comments > EA Class Action Suit Plans
14. Re: EA Class Action Suit Plans Feb 1, 2014, 21:02 Quboid

I can only assume that these shareholders (or the lawyers who might - might - just be in it for the money) feel that they can prove that the price in the months before was artificially inflated.

"Everybody does it" isn't going to be a great defence in court, it just suggests that there's a lot of nervous executives at publishers around the world. Everyone talks up their product but there's an art to it - you don't make something up and lie to convince people it's true, you make something up and creatively tell the truth to convince people that it's true.

I don't know what specifically their suit is based on. I think they'd need to prove that senior people at EA knew about the problems and deliberately tried to keep them quiet.

- Quboid

4174 Comments. 209 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo