Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4185 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 11:33 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 09:10:
Thief reviews doesn't look too good. Just a heads up for people that bought the game.
Ars Technica

A damn shame. To say that there had been warning signs is an understatement.

This, from that review, brings to mind so many games, none more so than the Thief series:
Why does every game have to have some mystical ghost nonsense these days?

It seems so unimaginative, just throwing cool stuff under the title of "magic" and never having to explain it. Mass Effect did this very well, they actually tried to explain about Element Zero and the Mass Effect in a way that actually made sense and made the world more immersive, not less.

It's like explaining away mysterious crystal skulls as "lol aliens" in the last act.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2014, 11:38.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch
18. Re: THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch Feb 23, 2014, 19:15 Quboid

Is the first level a tutorial? I can understand that being linear.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 18, 2014, 21:38 Quboid

That's not a British expression AFAIK. The closest is "pack it in" which is to give up something but I don't think that's unique to us.

If I was to buy a console now, there's precious few arguments in favour of the Xbox One. 900p at 30 FPS is pathetic. It would be laughable except that this will slow PC development in the near future.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Feb 18, 2014, 21:17 Quboid

I thought Antichamber was pretty bad. Original, but it seemed weird for the sake of it and not with any particular logic or reason for it.

I was expecting another Stanley Parable, which was unfair. The Stanley Parable did a great job of putting its weirdness into context. Maybe going into it with better (or no) expectations would help. If I've helped to lower yours, you're welcome.

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2014, 21:14 Quboid

Hey hey! Welcome back! I'm guessing you've been turning the air Blue lately.

Thanks Frans!

By the way, I quite liked the temporary design. The only thing I missed was being able to check for updated .plan files...

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2014, 21:27.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Feb 12, 2014, 08:56 Quboid

How is Rise of Venice? Is it in the Patrician/Port Royale style?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing
12. Re: Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing Feb 11, 2014, 22:15 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 22:07:
I'm sure they're thrilled at the reception, but how miffed would you be if you were them and this did better than Sanctum 2?

We live in a post Flappy Bird world. Quality and financial reward have no connection any more. Everything - everything - we thought we knew about making successful games is wrong.

- Quboid

News Comments > Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing
9. Re: Goat Simulator Now a Real Thing Feb 11, 2014, 21:55 Quboid

Julio wrote on Feb 11, 2014, 21:02:
EA must be kicking themselves for missing this 'Sim' opportunity. I think this has a real shot at outselling the latest SimCity in the long run.

I bought SimCity 4 Deluxe in a recent Steam sale for a few bucks and I've been playing the hell out of it with a handful of mods. After SimSeveralSmallTowns, it's so refreshing.

I'd love an update to SC4. Not even SimCity 5, just SimCity 4 with a few updates like better traffic, a more fleshed out region system, less aliased graphics and diagonal flipping streets. That's a really strange omission, thankfully there's a mod which hacks it in. I'd pay 20 for that in a flash. 30 maybe.

I'll pay twice that, minimum, if goat simulator lives up it's utterly vast potential. Star Citizen? Pah!

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 11, 2014, 15:36 Quboid

When there's an accusation of the viewer being sheep you know it's time to move on. "You don't believe what I'm trying my hardest to make you believe? Clearly you're a gullible fool who will believe anything!"

Conspiracy theorists want to feel clever and superior. The truth is either something to use to this end or to be discarded.

- Quboid

News Comments > Watch Dogs in Q2
13. Re: Watch Dogs in Q2 Feb 10, 2014, 18:32 Quboid

For some reason, I'm desperate to play this while eating Doritos and drinking Mountain Dew. Odd.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 12:00 Quboid

Flappy Bird creator says he wants more publicity, creates artificial demand by threatening to pull his app so people rush to download it.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 8, 2014, 14:46 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 12:35:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 8, 2014, 11:45:
Now will they jump on the next fad and tell us that curved movie theaters are better?

3D is a joke, I don't think 1 person here said "this will turn out well".

Oh yes, they did. There were several people claiming it wasn't a fad and it was here to stay...like the last several times it's come around, lol. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I'd include me in that. I think 3D will be almost ubiquitous. Why wouldn't it be? I can't think of a single problem with 3D and I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about it.

I also think that the 3D fad is over and has been for a couple of years. Why would it catch on? There's so many problems with current 3D technologies and implementations and I've heard countless complaints.

The fad was just a fad because the technology isn't there. Unwieldy glasses or having to keep your head in the exact right position just isn't good enough. 3D will start to truly take off when I can glance at a 3D TV as I walk past and see a proper image, on hardware which can be mass produced.

- Quboid

News Comments > Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit
15. Re: Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit Feb 8, 2014, 10:18 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 14:58:
Quboid wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 11:35:
Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 11:12:
Can I just that say that as far as acronyms go, EUGH >>>>>> SCOTUS.

It just does a better job at conveying the feeling you'll have when they make yet another insane ruling.

Everyone reads that as SCROTUM, right? I've always assumed everyone does this but maybe it's just me.

No, that's just you.

Really? Oh. Oh well.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 7, 2014, 12:13 Quboid

I tried Flappy Bird out and unless I got duped into downloading the wrong app, it's this:
http://www.helicopter-game.org/

The same shit game we played for a few minutes 10 years ago and haven't thought of since.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 12:11 Quboid

By the way, if you think Sochi is bad, at least it's not as bad as the World Cup 2022 preparations in Qatar. They're not deporting many of the workers, they're repatriating their corpses.

I wonder why Sochi this year, Russia again in 2018 and Qatar in 2022 get such high profile sporting tournaments. I'm sure there's no connection between this and the head of the ECA (lobbying group for major clubs) got caught with 2 $70,000 Rolex watches by customs after a flight back from Qatar ... I don't even know why I mention it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2014, 11:59 Quboid

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 10:27:
With the amount of security forces in place at Socchi, if a terrorist still manages to strike at the Olympics, we may as well just ditch the concept of security altogether. :\

No no no, it would prove we need more. Terrorist attacks (absolutely exactly) like this wouldn't have happened if we carried biometric ID cards and put more back-doors into our encryption standards.

They hate us for our freedom (not our military presence or definitely-not-acts-of-war drone strikes, grow up), so if we do away with our freedom then all will be peaceful!

- Quboid

News Comments > Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit
5. Re: Valve Prevails in German Lawsuit Feb 7, 2014, 11:35 Quboid

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 11:12:
Can I just that say that as far as acronyms go, EUGH >>>>>> SCOTUS.

It just does a better job at conveying the feeling you'll have when they make yet another insane ruling.

Everyone reads that as SCROTUM, right? I've always assumed everyone does this but maybe it's just me.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sledgehammer Gets Its Own CoD Title
8. Re: Sledgehammer Gets Its Own CoD Title Feb 6, 2014, 22:55 Quboid

nin wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 22:28:
Dagnamit wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 22:14:
nin wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 20:20:
Loopy wrote on Feb 6, 2014, 19:55:
I won't be happy until we have hourly CoD releases. < >

Yep. Spinning around the drain just a little faster...going to make that collapse even larger when it finally happens.

idk man. Each of these new CoD games gross at least 500 million dollars. If they they keep adding devs to makes these games, are they really doing that bad? Seems a boom, not a bust.

There's got to be a limit, at some point. WWII games got run into the ground. The next Need For Speed just got shelved. Remember how Band Hero and DJ Hero flopped, as people were tired of yearly music games?

At some point, there has to be saturation. I'm not saying it's this fall or anything like that, but I don't believe they can keep the forward momentum going forever. Certainly not enough to support 3 dev houses and the advertising each game costs.

It's good that they're each getting another year but I also get the feeling that this series is getting played out. Ghosts seemed to be received quite badly, particularly on the PC but not exclusively, and sales are well down too. Given how many people seem to rush out and buy the new CoD immediately, a bad instalment could have even more effect on sales of the next title - and start a spiral losing market share. Maybe Battlefield could have benefited but Dice stuffed that up.

- Quboid

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title
14. Re: EVE: Valkyrie an Oculus Rift Exclusive Launch Title Feb 6, 2014, 09:07 Quboid

Task wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 23:44:
Another example, the view is warped though when recording as you can see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl7fz__6B-4

However when you actually have the gear on and your eyes are focused against the oculus screen, it is not warped like that.

That looks amazing, I can't wait to play that game for 5 minutes and never ever ever again.

He refers a couple of times to monsters being a couple of inches from his face. I hope that's not literal, the screen is a couple of inches from his face but the monsters shouldn't appear that close. It could just be natural exaggeration.

- Quboid

News Comments > Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released
16. Re: Civ5: The Complete Edition/Free Brave New World Scenario Released Feb 5, 2014, 22:29 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 16:55:
Seventyfive wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 15:44:
Is Civ 5 any good? I stopped playing a few Civ's ago when my tank got destroyed by archers. Kind of thought that was some real bullshit.

It's bullshit if you think of it in terms of the real world.
But then again, most of the concepts of Civ are bullshit if you think about them like that.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it in terms of dice rolls.

I don't think it's that unreasonable. It should be rare, certainly, but if the archers don't conveniently stand at one end of a field facing the tanks for the entire battle it's not hard to see how a tank battalion could have trouble actually engaging them.

How does a typical tank battalion (50 tanks?) defeat a typical archery battalion (5,000?) in a city over several weeks without levelling the whole place? Archers could potentially pick off the crews when they get out to take a leak.

- Quboid

4185 Comments. 210 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo