Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3920 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2013, 08:24 Quboid

I'm generalising here, but bad guys tend think they're going to get away with it. If they see someone else receive a tasty ransom but then get caught, they're going to try the same thing but with a different escape plan. If there's no payout in the first place, it's a lot less enticing to even try.

I think "crime is going to occur regardless" is a logical fallacy. Yes, of course crime is still going to occur. Not negotiating with terrorists/kidnappers/whatever isn't going to stop crime, or stop those specific crimes. The idea is to reduce the number of these crimes, not stop them all together.

Not paying a ransom is gambling one citizen's life. Paying a ransom is gambling _all_ your citizens' lives.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2013, 08:31.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans
50. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 21:43 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 21:36:
Quboid wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 20:11:
What's the latest X3, is it Albion Prelude? (Edit: seems AP is the newest but it needs TC; 20 for the pack - nope.)
It comes up as $10CDN for me for the pack, not sure how much it shows if you are in EU
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W4942

Also be sure to check out some guide vids before you buy it, much different from Rebirth.
I am watching this guide right now: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBBF0B9059849696

"Sorry, this item is not available in your region."

- Quboid

News Comments > No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals
6. Re: No Wheel Support for NFS Rivals Nov 18, 2013, 21:34 Quboid

Hahahahaha.

Deary me.

- Quboid

News Comments > Roberts: "Star Citizen is a PC Game"
60. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 21:06 Quboid

KS wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 20:26:
I don't think they're saying it needs a powerful computer to run -- that's a stupid management decision if so.

You want to run on not just average but below average, but with a design that scales up graphics accordingly, so the high-end people are drooling all over it online.

Exactly. They're talking about 2 computers, out of probably hundreds. Of course they're going to have some high end machines, they're not Egosoft

- Quboid

News Comments > X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans
47. Re: X Rebirth Apology & Patch Plans Nov 18, 2013, 20:11 Quboid

What's the latest X3, is it Albion Prelude? (Edit: seems AP is the newest but it needs TC; 20 for the pack - nope.) Is there an all-in-one mod for that which you guys recommend?

The mod list (thanks SpectralMeat, Taskeen) is interesting. It's encouraging that there's already these fixes, even if many of them should have been in the game from the start.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2013, 20:59.

- Quboid

44. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 16:17 Quboid

Scheherazade wrote on Nov 18, 2013, 13:50:
Not sure if you know, but CR's post was in response to a bunch of crying on the forums.

[...]

So yeah, this is basically him responding to all the console flames.

-scheherazade

I didn't know that, fair enough.

- Quboid

3. Re: Roberts: Nov 18, 2013, 10:24 Quboid

I thought X Rebirth had more potential than Star Citizen. SC still has it all to prove IMHO but I can't see XR living up to my hopes even with patches and mods.

There's a rumour that there's Xbox references in the X Rebirth data files. It may be a reference to the controller, or be a complete myth, but perhaps this is why it has so many flaws and seems rushed after 7 years.

Chris Roberts is banging the "PC Game" drum a bit much for my taste, but ultimate it's the game that matters. He can bang whatever drum he wants if he delivers.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2013, 12:18 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 12:10:
Nice to see, yes, but take a screen-shot 'cause I don't think it'll stay there for very long...

=-Rigs-=

I was sorely tempted to preorder it but I held out. I'm rather glad I did.

I'll certainly keep an eye on it and if it gets patched up, then I'll buy it. However, I'm not likely to pay full price.

- Quboid

News Comments > DayZ Gameplay Trailer
38. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 17, 2013, 11:40 Quboid

Whiskers wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 10:42:
It would also be nice to have some kind of end game or way to encourage teamwork. Building a village or a settlement or something, protecting it from zombies, going on supply runs, etc. Probably hard to do when random people hop on and off of a server, but otherwise there isnt' much of a point to playing for me. I had the random scavenging experience in the original DayZ, don't need it again with a few added features.

This is why I'm more interested in a single player survival game.

The Forest looks good, although it seems to have the same plot as Day One Garry's Incident. Let's hope they do a better job.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth
105. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 16, 2013, 17:13 Quboid

The traffic lanes look good IMHO, except where it appears to intersect the green highway thing. Having loads of ships helps the game's atmosphere but letting them roam as freely as the player would be a mess, tax the route finding AI even more, and I don't think it would be realistic. Flight routes of that density would be controlled very heavily.

It annoys me in that video that you can hear the police sirens go past. Are there other sounds in X's space?

- Quboid

103. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2013, 16:55 Quboid

Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 16:36:
Quboid wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 16:29:
Does the indoor/NPC system have any redeeming aspects, or is it a waste of time for both the developers and the players?

It's 100% waste. There's no purpose to it whatsoever. Literally ZERO. Unless you count "Aggravate the living shit out of players who are trying to find a fucking defense officer," as a purpose.

Thanks, I was getting that impression.

Why did this take 7 years, and why are design flaws so apparent now not picked up upon earlier? Hindsight is 20:20 and all that but even if I hadn't watched any gameplay, the indoor system's apparent flaws are so utterly predictable. From what I've seen, it's got repetitive interiors, badly made NPCs, lacklustre conversations with UI problems, and apparently no redeeming features. Does it even help the sense of scale in space?

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 16, 2013, 16:37 Quboid

WoodroweBones19 wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 15:04:
Confused about the "Better plan on more doors to hit asses on the way out" comment. Why would the addition of an optional feature cause people to leave? You have to turn on discovery for your profile and have a verified phone number. Currently Android does this already for those you are friends with on G+. its actually kind of nice

Using a separate YouTube account was optional too, back in the day.

- Quboid

News Comments > DayZ Gameplay Trailer
14. Re: DayZ Gameplay Trailer Nov 16, 2013, 16:35 Quboid

Frags4Fun wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 15:54:
I can't believe that they are wasting time on things like an in hand compass. I've/we've been waiting since the summer of 2012 for an in hand compass and zombies who all look exactly the same? I've tried to be patient but I'm beginning to lose interest. Sad. I remember being excited last freakin November about a possibly impending Alpha version. Screw this! So disappointed.

They spent the first 30 seconds explaining most of this...

- Quboid

100. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 16, 2013, 16:29 Quboid

Presumably relatively few of the long term X fans were asking for a new UI, because by definition these are the people who didn't find it a barrier to playing the game.

I did, so a UI overhaul was the single most important thing to me. However, by most accounts they have royally stuffed it up so experienced X players aren't happy with the changes and inexperienced players like me aren't any better off. I haven't seen the map but the menus don't look any better and it's certainly no stretch to see how they could be worse.

Does the indoor/NPC system have any redeeming aspects, or is it a waste of time for both the developers and the players?

- Quboid

News Comments > Thief Dropping QTEs
82. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 16:00 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 14:09:
Quboid wrote on Nov 16, 2013, 09:09:
#TeamJerykk

Fallout 3, X-COM and DX:HR support him.
I suppose SimCity doesn't.

The Bureau and Syndicate I won't count because those were complete genre shifts.

In so much as I had a point, I referring to " I'm just tired of people bashing games based on limited and/or incorrect information". Even SimCity's on his side there, the amount of baseless complaining about that was shocking (see how quickly that MMO comment's context was ignored) - it's not as if there was a shortage of legitimate complaints!

- Quboid

79. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 16, 2013, 09:09 Quboid

#TeamJerykk  

- Quboid

44. Re: Ships Ahoy - X Rebirth Nov 15, 2013, 14:34 Quboid

There's a 10.5MB patch (rumoured to be a new executable) that takes it up from 1.11 to 1.12. No word yet as to what it changes.  

- Quboid

26. Re: First depressions Nov 15, 2013, 12:06 Quboid

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 11:17:
Apparently there's a 1.5 GB patch coming.

That'll be the voice and video patch I heard about, which I'd hope fixes eRe4s3r's Deutsch problem. Hopefully there's also a load of fixes in there.

It seems that the longer a game is in development for, the more rushed it is...

- Quboid

18. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 11:26 Quboid

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 11:19:
entr0py wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 11:10:
Honestly, I don't know how QTE's are still such a common thing in games.

Because developers are lazy.

In my view, it's that poisonous word "cinematic". Some developers still think that's something to aspire to, as if it's a good thing. Using QTEs, you can build the action to fit exactly the exciting script you've got and not have your set piece ruined by the player doing his own thing.

The small problem is that, well, doing our own thing is basically the whole point of gaming.

- Quboid

17. Re: Thief Dropping QTEs Nov 15, 2013, 11:21 Quboid

Creston wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 10:59:
One thing I will say, they are actively listening to people. They've dropped the Headshot + 5000!!!! COMBO BONUS bullshit, and now they're dropping QTEs.

I'm still not dropping 60 bucks on this, but at least it's getting back on my radar for a 20-30 buck pickup.

That's what's so bitter-sweet about this. It is good that they've listened and are changing these things, but how could they have been dumb enough to make such obvious mistakes in the first place? What else have they messed up?

- Quboid

3920 Comments. 196 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo