Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3924 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Dec 1, 2013, 16:13 Quboid

Tumbler wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 15:23:
Lindsay thinks the girl on the cover of GTA looks like her...don't flatter yourself Lindsay.

Source?

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews Dec 1, 2013, 12:52 Quboid

Let me guess, their tier 5 (or whatever they're called) testers played it with the accelerated economy option on because they could make money faster and they didn't care about actually testing the damn game.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2013, 11:40 Quboid

From the article "Disabled woman denied entry to U.S. after agent cites supposedly private medical details":
U.S. Customs and Border Protection media spokeswoman Jenny Burke said that due to privacy laws, "the department is prohibited from discussing specific cases."

They're taking the piss...

- Quboid

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
5. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 11:08 Quboid

Vio wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 10:37:
5 year old PC hardware out performs the current "next-gen", so his comments definitely have merit considering the price drop of 5 year old PC hardware.

It does have merit, the next-gen (current gen) consoles seem to be considerably less powerful than the previous generation was, relative to PC hardware. However, there's so much financial incentive for him to say this that I would expect him to say this regardless of reality. That's why I'd like to hear AMD say this as they got the next-gen contracts or, as Cram says, hear him say this if Nvidia had gotten one or both.

- Quboid

News Comments > Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC "Far Superior" to Next-Gen
1. Re: Quoteworthy - NVIDIA: PC Nov 30, 2013, 10:04 Quboid

I want to hear an AMD rep say this.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
78. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 12:57 Quboid

The kickstarter finished at $2m, 4x what they asked for - what panbient said. Anyway, panbient says the game will probably be delayed and in response, you imply that it might well be delayed ... so why's he talking shit?

It seems illogical to criticise the people urging caution of having unrealistic expectations.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
33. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 27, 2013, 18:33 Quboid

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 16:32:
Desalus wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 16:16:
Whatever the outcome of Star Citizen is, backers will inevitably be disappointed with the result. Star Citizen has way too much hype for its own good now, and the devs are not helping themselves by promising more and more features.

I can only think of a few games that have had enormous hype and actually lived up to it. With a new, unproven team, I doubt Star Citizen will be one of those games.

Desalus, I guess I can understand that since some people seem to have spent thousands on this game that you could imagine a big risk of mass dissapointment, but the thing is, I doubt for those people money is that big of an issue where if the game is not as fun as what they had expected, that their world would be shattered.

My understanding of it and I could be wrong, is people are putting trust in the developer, man at the top so to say.
If every dollar they make now pre-release will be used to make the game 'better', which is what they are saying, then it would make sense for fans or people who are "hoping" for a good game to get in early, so you help the game be that vision in the process.
Obviously trust on them not squandering or stealing any of the money or not directing making the game better is required for this leap of faith.
Mine was enough for $45. Mileage seems to vary is an understatement

I think that's a problem. There's going to be quite a few people who trust the developer and have spent money hoping for a better game who don't like the result and who will feel betrayed. We paid early to ensure a good game! We trusted you! You've stabbed us in the back! I want a refund! I'm going to sue!

Such idiots are always an issue but never really a problem however with the amount of money some people are putting in I think there'll be some very unhappy people. How many depends on how good the game is so hopefully there won't be many.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 27, 2013, 13:01 Quboid

dj LiTh wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 12:03:
John wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 09:47:
I know this is kinda OT, but does anyone notice screen blurring when playing games on a 120hz TV? I heard 240hz is better because fast movement is sharper but those TVs are several hundred dollars more than 120hz (well, at least on the size I'm looking for). I hope to find a good one tomorrow and don't want to spend more for something that isn't really noticeable..

Its different with tv's then it is with say monitors. With tv's its making up frames that dont exist and 'guessing' what frame will come next. I suppose its possible that maybe 240 is more accurate then 120 in that its guessing more and quicker. For me though thats the first feature i turn off with any tv.

If the input is 60hz, will additional frames not cause blurriness as the TV set approximates the content? Halving the refresh rate might be more effective than doubling it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million
82. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 21:07 Quboid

That's encouraging, Parias. I thought that in the outer reaches of space, PvP will be common. How much scope will there be to peacefully explore online?

Fair point too HorrorScope. I wonder what would happen if they decided not to allow 3rd party servers.

- Quboid

79. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 20:10 Quboid

Atoth wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 19:12:
SC isn't really P2W. Sure you can spend $1000+ on a huge ship with all kinds of bells and whistles but that's not going to stop someone from using their much cheaper in-game bought bomber to explode your ass... Heck the large ships are going to be much less maneuverable so without a good crew or wingman protecting you you'll probably be in big trouble against enemies anyway.

These aren't premium ships either that can only be bought with real money, everything can be bought in-game so everyone can get whatever ships they want. Hell the best components for your ship will come from in-game, not stock from the store.

That's what pay to win is. Quite a few P2W games sell you content which is unlockable, it's still paying to have an advantage in the game. If you're buying something that isn't just cosmetic with real money, it's pay to win.

If you get blown up by someone in a fancier ship with fancier weapons, are you going to think "well that guy's one hell of a player", or are you going to think "damn kids with their dad's credit card"? By the sounds of it, in Star Citizen I'm going to think the later and to me, that's a big problem.

I don't know enough about the game at this point to either dismiss or to invest (ahem) in it but the business model worries me. Pay to win in a game which isn't even free to play. That's not cool.

- Quboid

70. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 18:56 Quboid

Parias wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 18:54:
For those who missed the livestream - they apparently have the guy who did the UI stuff in Ironman 3 handling their HUD design.

And it looks pretty snazzy.

That looks rather bloated. I hope there'll be more minimal UI options.

It's got a better radar than X Rebirth.

- Quboid

38. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 14:40 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 13:19:
Quboid wrote on Nov 26, 2013, 13:05:
Why do people talk about this as an investment? Aren't more traditional words like pre-order or purchase rather more applicable?

"I just invested $250 in Star Citizen, with a bit of luck within 2 years I'll have made $0 back and within 10 years, a cool $0!"

Easy, they mean an investment in gaming fun.

Some people have implied that they see it as a financial investment. This probably doesn't apply to the word's use in this thread, so fair point. It's like people saying "I'm going to invest in a new graphics card".

A couple of months ago I was told "You're not buying virtual spaceships, the game, or anything else. You're making an investment in their project. Like any investment, there is risk." as if paying $45 for a 0.0000000000000000001% increase in the chance of the game getting finished can be called an investment. In fact, at this point people putting money into this might be making the game less likely to actually get made.

- Quboid

23. Re: Star Citizen Picks Up Another Couple $ Million Nov 26, 2013, 13:05 Quboid

Why do people talk about this as an investment? Aren't more traditional words like pre-order or purchase rather more applicable?

"I just invested $250 in Star Citizen, with a bit of luck within 2 years I'll have made $0 back and within 10 years, a cool $0!"

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 26, 2013, 11:20 Quboid

I hope so. I know the jury has to take each case on its merits but I really hate to see this guys win any case.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Nov 24, 2013, 15:54 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 15:40:
Dirwulf wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 14:50:
JohnBirshire wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 14:39:
People who thinks PC games are "Free to Play" are casuals at best. You might be able to demo or sample a lot of the game, but if you want to do anything endgame related, you better start paying up.

Put down the crack pipe. Zero of my PC games require purchases to finish. Either you suck at gaming or you are buying the wrong games. What the heck are you playing anyway that you need to pay to finish?

Maybe you are referring specifically to free to play MMO's?

Nearly all of your PC games require purchases to finish. You make that purchase once, up front, but you still made a purchase.

I think he just meant Free 2 Play games; to get far in them you need to cough up and as such, they cease to be free to play.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 24, 2013, 10:48 Quboid

So sad to hear, sorry for your loss Blue and Mrs. Blue.  

- Quboid

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
72. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 13:04 Quboid

Did he mock gamers? Did he say he didn't care what kind of game we want?

I seem to remember him basically saying that he's focussed on games which he would want to play but why shouldn't he? Everyone wants to be doing that and those who can't say they are anyway (as saying otherwise implies you think your game is crap).

- Quboid

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
63. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 10:47 Quboid

Carmack and id Software haven't really been relevant for a decade but they'll always have a place in my childhood and my heart.

I haven't tried it so make of this what you will. The Oculus Rift has a horizontal view angle of about 90 for each eye. Not full field of vision (which is about 155) but the missing area is hard to distinguish anything specific in. The wide areas aren't useless but your graphics card is probably better utilized on the central area.

This is different from in-game FOV which I prefer around 80-90 although my monitor probably only takes up about 50 of my view (it's surprisingly hard to estimate that!). I took it that you didn't mean this sort of FOV, InBlack, but I'm not sure. At a guess playing a game with the Oculus Rift which is locked to 60 would be awful.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 23, 2013, 10:15 Quboid

I hadn't hear of him until he did one of those bullshit copyright blocks that are such a pest to YouTubers. Now, all I know of him is that he's an asshole. Way to go, kid. I guess he's too young to have heard of the Streisand effect.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Nov 22, 2013, 16:07 Quboid

It's good to hear him call them out on it. He's a bit crazy about frame rates (does anyone really benefit from above about 80 FPS?) but I'm with him on this, and tying the game tick to the framerate is just pathetic.  

- Quboid

3924 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo