Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4449 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2014, 13:43 Quboid

I would think that it's a lot easier to secretly film someone with a phone than with glasses. With glasses, you have to look at what you're recording. With a phone, you could pretend to write a text or put your phone in your pocket. You could even pretend to hold it up for better reception if you want a high angle shot.

I wouldn't assume someone wearing Google Glass was filming, if they were I wouldn't assume it was perverted and if it was, I wouldn't flatter myself by thinking they're perving at me.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 4 "Netcode" Patch
9. Re: Battlefield 4 Jun 3, 2014, 20:36 Quboid

It's interesting to see the total latency. A quarter of a second seems horribly high (and evidently is) but I've no idea what most games use. I got a ping of a few milliseconds in Quake but there's much more than just ping slowing things down.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 18:45 Quboid

You're blowing through factional milestones pretty fast now. Four fifths!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Tropico 5 May 31, 2014, 22:22 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 31, 2014, 17:35:
My main complaint with Tropico 5 is the military are brain dead, I've had a standing military of 45, and they got wiped out by two squads of enemy troops because mine kept running around, and around the block.

They're pretty hopeless. It's a fair fight as your opponents are as bad but it would be nice if they were a bit smarter or even just a bit faster. It's weak seeing regular traffic (happily driving through a war-zone) zoom past my military.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Tropico 5 May 31, 2014, 12:36 Quboid

Tropico 5 is pretty good.

The Era system addresses my main complaint with Tropico 3 and 4: the difficulty curve. In T4, you'd struggle to build up a village until you got some industry and then the challenge would drain away. With Eras, each time period has distinct challenges and dealing with rebels has been an actual challenge. I was barely troubled by them in T4 but in T5, I lost my palace to rebels and military coups several times, even in the late game.

There's a decent amount of content this time. There aren't a huge number of buildings (and I expect DLC will be plentiful) but the overhauled systems, Eras in particular, mean that this actually does feel like a sequel.

The maps are big, the graphics look nice and it runs well. I've had some stability issues, enough to make me wish the auto-save was more frequent and I hope this will be patched up.

I tried multiplayer. It took me ages to get into a game and then it was horribly broken. If you're looking at T5 for multiplayer, wait.

There's some UI issues. Upgrading dozens of houses when stuff like electricity becomes available would be much handier if you could multi-select homes. On the overlays data page, I'd love another tab that colour-coded people's houses according to the inhabitant's average happiness in the dozen or so categories: finding where needs a new clinic should be easier.

I think that each game will play out in pretty much the same way, as it did in T3 and T4, so it will get samey. Still, it's a worthy Tropico game and one of the best city builders around.

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2014, 21:10 Quboid

The AOC Q2770PQU is a bit cheaper and quite well regarded. I've never heard of AOC, anyone any experience?  

- Quboid

6. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2014, 20:48 Quboid

I have a 1920x1200 27" monitor now but it's failing before my eyes. It's 60hz and has a very poor response time but the ghosting doesn't bother me so while 90hz or 120hz would be nice, QHD seems more useful.

The 2 main options I've found are the Dell 2713HM and the Asus PB278Q - both 2560x1440 @ 60hz. The Dell is IPS, the Asus PLS. IPS looks a little better but PLS is a little faster.

- Quboid

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced
5. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced May 30, 2014, 16:30 Quboid

That doesn't say. There's a campaign, but is that more than a few scenarios on an existing map with/against existing units? I want to fly a P51 Mustang against a BF109, not an A10.  

- Quboid

1. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2014, 16:09 Quboid

Can anyone recommend a 27" monitor? As far as I can see it's either 1440p@60hz or 1080p@120hz unless I feel like importing a QNIX QX2710 from South Korea and overclocking it, which I don't.  

- Quboid

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced
1. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced May 30, 2014, 16:02 Quboid

What do these include, apart from the aircraft? Is there a Korea map included, era-appropriate units to fight, things like that?  

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com
12. Re: SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com May 29, 2014, 22:40 Quboid

Definitely get NAM, but during installation of the mod you can choose which features to include - I recommend new players turn off all but the couple that actually relate to optimising traffic. There are a few nice additions available if you want but most of it just clutters up the game's menus.  

- Quboid

9. Re: SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com May 29, 2014, 19:40 Quboid

jimnms wrote on May 29, 2014, 19:06:
Creston wrote on May 29, 2014, 12:29:
Hmmm... Does anyone know if that traffic mod works with the Gog version?

What traffic mod?

Network Addon Mod aka NAM improves traffic flow. I can't say by how much because I haven't played SC4 without it for a long time, it's essential IMHO. It's become quite bloated and also has lots of extras like roundabouts, diagonal streets, curved pieces (like model train tracks). There's a lot of junk in there and I recommend turning most of it off if you're new to NAM. Because you weren't there, man. You weren't there.

- Quboid

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Free Weekend
1. Re: PAYDAY 2 Free Weekend May 29, 2014, 19:31 Quboid

Any Bluesnewsers play this?

Install ... requires 29GB, better put it on my HDD ... "You do not have enough disk space available". There's an error I haven't got for many years.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed
90. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed May 29, 2014, 18:08 Quboid

Wildone wrote on May 29, 2014, 16:44:
Its not absurd, they spent a tremendous amount of time for accuracy and fidelity on these sims and your complaining about it. I really don't know what your other options are but take it or leave it. World Of Warplanes awaits you..

I didn't make a single complaint about DSC, I asked a question. I have no idea why you would think I was complaining or why you're making any conclusion about how realistic I like my sims.

- Quboid

79. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed May 29, 2014, 16:12 Quboid

I don't follow you...  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 29, 2014, 16:08 Quboid

Looking at this as left vs right, Republican vs Democrat, Big Gov vs Small Gov or any such partisan position is to let yourself be distracted from the actual issue. Politics isn't 1 dimension.

It's not 2 dimensions either, but www.politicalcompass.org is interesting and it's a considerably better way of looking at things. Their test is interesting too.

(I'm starting to think Darks is joking, honestly not 100% sure.)

- Quboid

76. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed May 29, 2014, 15:58 Quboid

Trevellian wrote on May 29, 2014, 13:15:
I may have to download that Rise of Flight just to have something to actually give the stick a good try.

I have looked at the DCS games on steam before and they simply just offend me with their prices. 20-50 dollars per plane module? They can eat a big fat one.

What does each plane include? The Steam page for F-15C: DCS says there's a new campaign but what does this actually mean: new map, new era, new era appropriate AI units? Or half a dozen scenarios based on existing maps?

Wings: Over Flanders Field is very good. It's a WW1 simulation built on CFS3, although except for needing CFS3 to install it you wouldn't know it. Perhaps this means it has poor support for modern joysticks.

I considered that Thrustmaster HOTAS but I don't like the idea of cheap HOTAS - I went with a mid-range single stick for the same price and I'm pleased with the Mad Catz / Saitek FLY5. Best trim control I've ever used excluding real aircraft.

- Quboid

News Comments > Football Club Manager Closed Beta
1. Re: Football Club Manager Closed Beta May 29, 2014, 14:35 Quboid

Oh cool, I hadn't heard about thi...

not to be confused with Football Manager from Sports Interactive

... ah. Oh.

- Quboid

3. Re: SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com May 29, 2014, 13:40 Quboid

Network Addon Mod just goes into the Simcity 4 directory in My Documents and it works with both ye olde boxed version and Steam.

I also recommend Farm Mod if you like a lot of farms, this stops demand from dying after about 30K population. If you don't mind cheating a bit, PEG Garbage Chute is a handy way to avoid landfill. I use SC4Launcher for better compatibility and widescreen options but it may not be needed for the Gog release.

Tropico 5 is pretty good, for fans of the genre. Many of my complaints with Tropico 4 have been dealt with: there's plenty of new content; the difficulty seems more consistent; I've had my ass handed to me by rebellions and coups - I don't think that ever happened to me in T3 or T4 and certainly not in the late game phase.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2014, 13:50.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 28, 2014, 15:59 Quboid

The headline says that the following article will list 5 aspects of security that have got better, which is what the article does indeed do. It does not say that security has universally improved or improved on-the-balance or anything like that, nor does the article. It's not sensationalising anything, which I take to be the main characteristic of click-bait. Is your argument that you also didn't read the headline?

A list format is a quick, perhaps lazy way of formatting an article and is therefore often used for click-bait articles but it doesn't inherently mean click-bait.

- Quboid

4449 Comments. 223 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo