Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4749 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Euro Truck Simulator 2 Expansion Next Month
6. Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2 Expansion Next Month Apr 8, 2015, 18:09 Quboid

Vall Forran wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 17:38:
I'm curious as to why this game is so popular, but for the same reason Elite is derided...

I think Elite is generally well respected but it came with higher expectations. I didn't pick up ETS2 until well after its release and even then only expected a short novelty experience so I was pleasantly surprised to get a couple of thousand miles of fun out of it. With Elite, I wanted a bit more and saving up to buy a new ship only for it to feel the same was very anticlimactic.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Patch
6. Re: Cities: Skylines Patch Apr 7, 2015, 13:18 Quboid

I could write an essay (don't worry, I won't) about all the things I'd like them to improve, but it is my favourite game for a long time. Correlating wealth with density is the biggest issue for CSL2 to address IMHO, to get as many people as possible into a building you need to make it expensive. This makes sense in that doing well (providing services) improves your score (population) but it's the opposite of realistic and contributes to the problem of cities looking samey.

The lack of variety is something that I hope expansion content for CSL1 helps, wealth=population issue aside. More building types and the ability to theme districts would help and although the Workshop helps, I'd rather have the content in game. (Particularly functionality, as I can't actually play this now because some mods need updated.)

I can't think of any genre which is more limitless in its feature-set than a city builder; it's small enough so each citizen can be a concern but large enough for regional issues too. I can easily think of loads of possible new features for them to add too.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2015, 10:12 Quboid

What did the iPad kill again?

Netbooks.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 29, 2015, 09:52 Quboid

The 4K option stuttered a bit for me, I certainly wasn't maintaining 60 FPS. The "stats for nerds" option on YouTube said it was using 55Mbit/s, so it was maxing out my 'net connection.  

- Quboid

General Discussion > Cities Skyline Bluesnoobs
16. Re: :o Mar 22, 2015, 17:33 Quboid

I haven't tested it yet but Toggle Traffic Lights.

And there was much rejoicing.

Edit: OK, quick test. It can used to cheat as the AI can navigate junctions like driverless cars in a science fiction film but used with discretion, you can fix a few places where lights really shouldn't be placed.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2015, 17:55.

- Quboid

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
133. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 21, 2015, 12:37 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 04:30:
I have auto bulldoze mod

But I honestly have no idea where the people come from, or why they are there and not moving out despite there not being any jobs. But it is as it is.. (And traffic is thus a nightmare)

It's gotten to the point where my high traffic intersections need to be perfectly smooth curved or straight, because a tiny bump delays traffic ;p

Are you using any balance mods? There is one that makes high density buildings have more realistic numbers (i.e. more people) and others tweak the numbers in various ways.

I might use Building Simulation Overhaul in my next city. That modder has several balance tweaks that look useful, without Infinite Oil and Ore I wouldn't bother with either.

- Quboid

126. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 23:56 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 22:46:
Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 21:39:
Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 11:54:
(I've also begun making every roundabout out of freeway pieces. Yeah, you lose the ability to zone next to it, but that roundabout is there to move traffic, not to have a giant mall created in it.)

Freeway pieces don't have pavements/sidewalks so it can be worth putting paths in by hand if you expect a lot of pedestrian traffic. The pavement path can be elevated.

That's good advice, actually. Thanks!

You can get a little self indulgent if you like - The Hourglass

- Quboid

123. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 21:39 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 11:54:
(I've also begun making every roundabout out of freeway pieces. Yeah, you lose the ability to zone next to it, but that roundabout is there to move traffic, not to have a giant mall created in it.)

Freeway pieces don't have pavements/sidewalks so it can be worth putting paths in by hand if you expect a lot of pedestrian traffic. The pavement path can be elevated.

- Quboid

122. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 21:21 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 16:43:
Baristan wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 16:39:
Watch out putting too many water pumps on a river. You can end up reversing the flow, sucking sewage into the drinking supply.

LOL. Holy shit that would be terrible.

Commercial demand is really weird. The patch today definitely seems to have fixed the lack of demand I had, though, as it's now solidly in the middle of the bar, and stays there no matter how much I plant. (which makes sense, because it had been zero for roughly 15K people.)

And now they're all whining they've got nothing to sell... Sigh

Parks decreased commercial demand. No idea why that was ever a thing. A mod fixed it for me and now it seems fine but now I also have lots of demand. I had lots of offices to provide jobs to my overeducated workforce so I'm rezoning some of that.

My city is now at 125K. Trains get fouled up sometimes but my road traffic has been fine. I tend to create artery style layouts which seems to be the way to go. Even there is a SNAFU, I don't have a large grid that means any fix will just move the jam down a block.

- Quboid

108. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 18, 2015, 00:18 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 23:41:
Btw, they've now sold 500K!

Quboid, please explain about the footpaths. Do you mean you have pedestrian paths going to things like metro lines and such? Can't pedestrians automatically walk around in residential areas?

Here's where you can export your own height maps to play on. (import them into the map editor) Works like a charm.

They can walk along roads but by using paths you can avoid complicating traffic.

Example - the park separates residential on the left and offices on the right.

In the residential area, the smaller road that loops up the hill away from the beach is connected by a path to the main avenue where there's a metro station (and a 2x2 park, as the noise would make a resident sick). It's harder to see but there's a short path connecting one street in the office district to another with a metro station, just above the turn-off from the same avenue. The central metro station gives my people another option, since the tunnel is there.

Plenty of citizens also just walk to work using the path between the districts. If this path was a road, half of that residential district would use it to drive to work and cause a bottleneck - a six lane avenue probably wouldn't be as efficient as a gravel path.

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 00:14:
You avoided landfills completely? Or you emptied your existing ones later and deleted them?

If I don't place a landfill within ~ 0.00000000000000002 seconds of unlocking Little Hamlet, everyone drowns in trash and leaves. It's like fucking Fenway Park in all my cities...

Once incinerators were unlocked, I started using them and never looked back. They're expensive but it gets rid of the rubbish which landfills don't do - when you empty one, they just move it somewhere else. I'd like a cheaper option so maybe I should use landfills somehow.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2015, 00:28.

- Quboid

106. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 23:52 Quboid

I only bother with sustainable industry - I built oil fields and my economy took a hit when they packed up. Likewise, I avoided graveyards and landfill because I don't want a problem to build up when I'm concentrating on resolving a traffic jam miles away.  

- Quboid

104. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 23:39 Quboid

The metro is very effective for reducing traffic. Combined with footpaths (in the parks menu) you can get rid of lots of cars and buses which even helps free up roads in industrial areas a good bit.

At first I plopped down services every time an icon popped up but that was over-doing it. The occasional garbage, health or body doesn't matter as long as your services aren't over capacity, their vehicles can move freely and there isn't a continuing cause (e.g. noise pollution causing illness; metro stations are noisy) then it doesn't seem to be a problem.

- Quboid

News Comments > Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released
6. Re: Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released Mar 17, 2015, 01:15 Quboid

Alamar wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 20:32:
Total-Khaos wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 20:24:
Quboid wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 20:16:
Does this [the basic game, no DLC] develop much after the slums? I've spent quite a few hours mostly doing side quests and enjoyed it but unless the gameplay develops in the main quest, I think I've had my fill.

Yes, the slums area was only half the game!

That's not what he asked...

The second half of the game plays much like the first, though some of the unlocked abilities make mass killing much easier (which is more fun)... The story continues, both good and bad...

But really, all you really need to know, is that the twins story line gets wrapped up... : )

I'm on the top tier (level 14+) in all three skill trees so I may have massively overdone it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released
1. Re: Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released Mar 16, 2015, 20:16 Quboid

Does this [the basic game, no DLC] develop much after the slums? I've spent quite a few hours mostly doing side quests and enjoyed it but unless the gameplay develops in the main quest, I think I've had my fill.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 16, 2015, 00:59 Quboid

I presume they take commute length into account when picking a job but won't switch work for that reason. That's quite realistic, most people stay in their rut.

Transport tip: Go to Overlays -> Public Transport (buses/metro/trains, whatever it's called). This shows the same data overlay as these tools but rather than add or change infrastructure or route paths, you can change route names and colours (alternatively, click on a bus and then "modify route"). Giving overlapping routes different colours makes designing them much easier, and the vehicles change colour too!

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2015, 01:08.

- Quboid

74. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 16, 2015, 00:48 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2015, 19:37:
Dacron wrote on Mar 15, 2015, 13:48:
Really wish you could see the way the ground contours in subway mode. Too many times my beautifully planned line gets all jerky/bends the wrong way instead of making a nice, round connection. The ground interferes and forces a left banking turn that ends up making the connection a right angle where it connects rather than being smooth.

I agree, it could use quite a bit of work. Btw, for those of you who don't know, if you draw multiple bus lines, select one of the busses that runs that line, and then you can rename it AND recolor the line. Makes it MUCH easier to see where your bus coverage is good and where it's weak.

Sadly, this does not seem to work with subways, so I just draw one line that hits all the stations. It works fine, but it's a very inelegant solution.

Go to the public transport overlay. This shows the same overlay as the public transport tools, but rather than add routes/infrastructure you can select any bus, metro or train line and change how it looks.

The vehicles also change colour. I was wondering WTF those purple lorries were doing driving around my residential area until the penny dropped

- Quboid

64. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 14:59 Quboid

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 11:11:
[...]
2. Not enough building variation, you can easily see the exact same building repeated 20 times in a row. That actually applies to all ploppables.
[...]
Overall, a great game, I can see it going strong with continued support. Not quite the variation of Sim City but it's from a 9 man team.

The lack of variety is a problem. Understandable given the size of the team and the price of the game but the same zones look too similar (as in, all light residential zones look alike, all high res zones look alike, etc).

I have subscribed to everything on Nouveaux BatÓments Growables, a Steam Workshop collection of growable buildings (growable = built by citizens in zones), to help mix things up. A lot of these are just variations of in-game buildings, I assume using the same 3D models, but everything helps.

It would be nice to theme districts if there was sufficient content (and this has DLC written all over it), preferably tying it in with game mechanics so gambling encourages tourism, causes crime.

- Quboid

45. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 01:34 Quboid

This was in development for 2 years, which means that they started around the time that Simcity 2013 was released. It really shows, this game clearly draws a lot of inspiration on how NOT to do things and their trailers quickly mentioned offline, big maps and modding support. I feel sorry for ex-Maxis developers looking at this and perhaps seeing what they envisaged Simcity 2013 to be before the suits butted in and utterly ruined it.

Performance is fine with 75K people, all 25 tiles unlocked and a city which presently uses about a third of the space. Simcity 4 and Simcity 2013 would report the same city has having hundreds of thousands; I think they exaggerated the numbers while I suspect that Cities: Skylines underplays it a bit to reduce the load.

I have only had one traffic problem in my 75K city which wasn't my fault; when trains leave the map they seem to stop which causes a jam and I can't change the track outside the playable area.

Some parts of the simulation are a bit weak. The disconnect between cims' schedules and the economy is a bit jarring, with no day/light cycle or rush hour and there doesn't appear to be any economic need for cims to get to work. Every simulation cuts corners and this isn't a big deal but I would like Cities: Skylines 2 to weave these together better.

It's not perfect but it is damn good. Tropico and Anno have taken their own spin on the city builder genre to mostly good effect but for pure Simcity gameplay, this far better our other options of Simcity 2013 or Cities XXL.

- Quboid

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
7. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2015, 12:23 Quboid

Monument Valley was excellent but after finishing the 10 levels, I was satisfied. There wasn't really much meat on the gameplay and it could easily have outstayed its welcome.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter falls into this trap and drags on a bit. It is beautiful. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is a similar game if this is your thing.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2015, 13:05 Quboid

Hashtags were never one of humanity's finest moments but I've never known them to physical hurt quite like that commercial. Truly, truly ghastly.  

- Quboid

4749 Comments. 238 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo