Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4449 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Tropico 5 Joint Venture DLC Released
1. Re: >Tropico 5 Joint Venture DLC Released Nov 6, 2014, 17:36 Quboid

They wimped out. We all know what joint venture should be reefering to.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Polish Plans
19. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Polish Plans Nov 5, 2014, 20:53 Quboid

1badmf wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 18:00:
am i the only one who read it correctly as PO-lish? i don't know why being related to poland would enter your minds.

It's capitalised. As it should be of course, but I think this is what brought the country to mind.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Nov 5, 2014, 14:58 Quboid

Prez wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 14:05:
Beamer wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 2014:

Or just acknowledging that you never built up a relationship and not having a stupid funeral with a stupid action button that no one will care about?

That would work but is that "troubling" as the editorial's author claims or is just a silly design decision?

The article is about story telling and only claims that it is troubling in that context, therefore a silly design decision is exactly what they mean. The next paragraph elaborates on this and describes their disappointment at the story telling issues as their only feeling.

- Quboid

News Comments > Microtransaction Hints in Leaked Just Cause 3 Screenshots?
7. Re: Microtransaction Hints in Leaked Just Cause 3 Screenshots? Nov 5, 2014, 14:15 Quboid

The "Buy More" option is to buy more in-game currency, which suggests to me that microtransactions are part of this build.

It's not clear by any means, this currency could be bought with another in-game currency. For example, spending in-game Tin Pot Dictatorship Dollars to buy blood diamonds, which is then used as currency on the black market. (It's a stretch to call that currency icon a diamond but it could be anything.)

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Nov 5, 2014, 13:48 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 13:10:
"Push square to pay respects" is just as silly as every other QTE, so it doesn't really stand out in that respect. The bigger problem is the poor story telling:

The next sequence is Willís funeral. Already, Advanced Warfare is asking us to be emotional about the death of a character whoís only spoken a few lines of dialogue and shot a cool-looking gun. The game tells players Mitchell and Will are friends, but it doesnít show that they truly matter to one another.

If they'd done a better job with that, the QTE might have actually earned its moment.

Good point. It stands out more but it's no stupider than "Press X to not die" which is what QTEs mostly boil down to (but if I may nitpick, this looks like an interaction prompt and not a QTE). Games have certainly made me feel emotion at the press of a button - I remember one game (I shan't name it so as not to spoil) making the press of a button truly horrible. That was story telling done right, so pressing that button meant something, and didn't just tell me "hey you should be sad now".

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 5, 2014, 10:45 Quboid

"when the [game] servers authorized by the developer are permanently shut down."

If a publisher did want to stop this, couldn't they just temporarily shut down the servers indefinitely?

- Quboid

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Polish Plans
4. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Polish Plans Nov 5, 2014, 10:40 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 10:25:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 10:19:
Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2014, 09:55:
So what does this have to do with Poland?
Wry

Funny you ask, as I was like, wtf is going on in Poland?
Same here. I thought this had to do with Polish language pack or something.

"Huh, odd to be doing further localisation now. Oh well ... wait a minute!"

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition
69. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition Nov 4, 2014, 09:16 Quboid

Polygon have started putting prominent links to an ethics policy that pre-dates GamerGate? If anyone is being condescending, it's them. I don't much like GamerGate and perhaps this is colouring my interpretation but that looks like they're mocking GG. "Ethics policy? We've always had one you blind bastards!" At best, they're paying GG lip service.

Prez, why are people who disagree with you trolling psychos who love to argue yet - presumably - you are not?

- Quboid

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Documentary
13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Documentary Nov 3, 2014, 21:28 Quboid

Bundy wrote on Nov 3, 2014, 20:27:
I've never understood how this works, maybe u can explain it to me. What exactly does TrackIR do in this game? I assumed that using the Oculus alone would be enough for head tracking and accessing your left and right menu's.

TrackIR isn't used with the Oculus Rift, the Rift alone will do head tracking as you say.

TrackIR is a simpler system which just does head tracking. I didn't like it as having to look at my monitor sideways made it feel very unnatural but it's probably the best option for serious flight simmers right now.

How easy is it to identify ships with the DK2? With the DK1 in a flight sim, other aircraft were just pixelly blobs.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2014, 19:01 Quboid

If the people in the vehicle aren't operating it (beyond tapping on a destination) it's hard to see how the liability would lie with them. If a driverless vehicle causes a crash, it would be a bug and be the manufacturer's fault.

I think the effect of this is that the insurance cost moves from the owner to the manufacturer, who then passes on the price either in the cost of the vehicle or in some on-going service charge. If the vehicle you own/lease/whatever is only ever self-driven, there would be no need for you to buy insurance of your own. For the manufacturer, I think there would be few accidents caused by their cars and they would have plenty of incentive to throw money and lawyers at any incidents where their car is involved, smothering the average individual.

The idea that a bug or a hacker could suddenly disable the breaks of millions of drivers is rather scary. It's unlikely but that's sure to bump the insurance up and needless to say, manufacturers should try really hard to not let this happen.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
8. Re: Saturday Consolidation Nov 1, 2014, 23:12 Quboid

JediPunisher wrote on Nov 1, 2014, 22:22:
Creston wrote on Nov 1, 2014, 18:21:
Of course, they can't create a more powerful one now because it would fracture their user base.
There would be no reason for a fractured user base... We're not talking different generations of consoles here, just a bump in res/fps. So, if someone playing a shooter on XB1 at 720p and/or 30fps feels disadvantaged against others with an XB1.1 at 1080p/60fps, then they are motivated to buy a new console which equals more cash for Microsoft.

I think that would equal more cash for Sony. XB1 owners would feel screwed over, paying probably at least as much (I'd assume 1.1 wouldn't cost more than 1.0 + Kinect did) to now be disadvantaged and held to ransom. We (PC gamers) take this inequality as inevitable but I don't think predominantly console gamers would be so accepting.

Without a cheap or even free upgrade offer, I think this would be a PR disaster for Microsoft.

- Quboid

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Preorders
5. Re: Far Cry 4 Preorders Nov 1, 2014, 21:04 Quboid

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 1, 2014, 20:24:
Bludd wrote on Nov 1, 2014, 19:17:
Far Cry 2 is a terrible, terrible game.
I strongly disagree. I thought it was excellent, despite the annoyances (malaria, respawns, vehicle ramming, etc). It had excellent graphics, great vehicle handling, was well optimised, had innovative features (fire, etc) and had a unique setting.

I'm very much looking forward to Far Cry 4.

I enjoyed it too but I can see how it could really annoy a lot of people. It's less approachable than Far Cry or Far Cry 3 (and presumably 4 as they're sticking to that formula) because of some really stupid ideas but YMMV. If you already own it, it's definitely worth a try.

The African setting is pretty unique too, I liked that.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Evil Within Demo
18. Re: The Evil Within Demo Oct 31, 2014, 00:04 Quboid

Wetworks24 wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 18:26:
No person would come to that conclusion unless they were willfully ignorant on the game.

Bethesda showed the entirety of chapter 9 on youtube multiple times before release and it showed exactly how the game would play. Also, if you watched the trailers for it you would know too.

I think he is. Yahtzee tries hard to avoid any exposure to a game before playing it, even the opinions of people he trusts who have played it, to avoid having his expectations coloured at all. Evidently he couldn't avoid it all - hard to cover E3 and not see hype - but I doubt he'd seen much else. He has talked about this on his Let's Drown Out podcast/let's play hybrids a few times.

This demonstrates his problem. Why didn't the E3 demo represent the game properly, if that is the case? Then again, this is a highly subjective view. That's fine, but it's not going to be relevant to as many people as it would be if his expectations were more in line with his audience's. (Disclaimer: I haven't played the game or looked into it much so I'm talking in general terms.)

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: James Cameron On VR -- Meh Oct 30, 2014, 11:50 Quboid

"If you want to move through a virtual reality itís called a video game, it's been around forever" he said, completely missing the point.

His comments in general aren't too unreasonable. He is referring to the public at large and I don't think the Rift is going to be mass market for the foreseeable future. There needs to be more content, as he says, but for this to happen there needs to be a market (i.e. VR headset owners) which needs content which needs a market which needs content - IMHO the Rift will be a success if it starts the ball rolling.

Maybe his crap 3D is why he thinks this. "Yeah, I tried a gimmick like that once. It won't last and it won't be me getting rich quick so ... meh."

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 30, 2014, 01:02 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 20:32:
So you see, look at both sides of an argument isn't always such a good idea....

I don't mean you should sympathise with all sides, or necessarily any side, or that your opinion must fall anywhere in the middle - just that it's good to think things through. How very insightful of me

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 29, 2014, 17:32 Quboid

The Verge article

That's really creepy. No one is going to read this site are they?

(Beamer, shouldn't you be automatically defending Verizon? Could it be that you actually look at issues from both sides and give an honest opinion?!)

- Quboid

News Comments > New Elite: Dangerous Beta
26. Re: New Elite: Dangerous Beta Oct 29, 2014, 11:14 Quboid

Thanks Flatline. It's a really hard thing for the devs to get right, too high a penalty and mucking around wouldn't be worthwhile, too low a penalty and there's little suspense. 20% sounds like a lot but from what you're saying, this isn't something you're going to need after a brief encounter off the shoulder of Orion.

Arithon wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 04:55:
Star Citizen is coming along in leaps and bounds, but won't be ready for some time. Elite will be out before Christmas.
So be happy about this! We have two great space sims - one now and one on the way for next year!

QFT. The comparisons are inevitable but like Wasteland and Fallout, it's very possible that we will end up with 2 great games and we all win.

- Quboid

News Comments > New Elite: Dangerous Beta
18. Re: New Elite: Dangerous Beta Oct 29, 2014, 00:36 Quboid

How does death work; in practise what is needed to get back to where you where before the ill-advised combat encounter, in terms of your ship and its load out? Can you reload a saved game in single player or do these (up to date?) rules apply and again, in practise what does this mean - is the excess large enough to discourage reckless exploration?

Are there any limits on the commanders your can create, how many or how often?

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 28, 2014, 23:47 Quboid

It's interesting to get some kind of insight into what he is looking for. I'm glad he's talking about "a few cycles" and looking well ahead, not that this is surprising given the amount Facebook paid. Oculus VR don't matter in the long term, just please start the ball rolling.

It's still really hard to get my head around the Facebook deal. They've thrown so much at it that they must be gambling on a whole new ecosystem and I've got no idea if that's going to pay off. Clearly Facebook's definition of success is a lot bigger than mine, I'm simply hoping for a growing niche in the next decade.

Comfort and isolation are the two big issues that will keep it niche in my opinion. DK1 feels like a scuba mask and I doubt CV1 will be much better. I forget I'm wearing it almost immediately but after an hour or so it starts getting uncomfortable. By its nature it cuts you off from everyone else (until we're all wearing VR headsets) and headphones will make this worse. This is great and makes for the most immersive gaming experiences I've ever had, but simple things like glancing at the keyboard is awkward and if someone tapped me on the shoulder I would freak the absolute flip out. Perhaps literally not for the faint of heart.

- Quboid

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com?
23. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 27, 2014, 23:08 Quboid

Prez wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:26:
TangledThorns wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:13:
Some games are just too damn old to play. Sorry, it's really hard to go back to dated graphics.

Same here. I'm not a graphics whore but those games are so old as to be jarring in their ugliness. Remakes are in order.

I'll play Tie Fighter but I'm sure the graphics will be terrible. I remember it looking quite blocky, and that was on a 14 inch monitor.

It's not just that games like Tie Fighter will be ugly, it's that playing them now might diminish their memory. I have rose tinted memories of games like Tie Fighter, based on comparisons with other games from the same time period. It was a shock to recently play Doom on the original settings, the low resolution was really distracting and took away from the experience. I've grown so used to higher detail and smaller pixels that I need to play one of the remakes like ZDoom to get the original feeling.

- Quboid

4449 Comments. 223 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo