Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4270 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M
106. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 23:03 Quboid

I think there's a point that's being missed here. Who says that this money is to go into development?

I don't believe they are legally obliged to put all the money in. I don't think they're morally obliged. In fact, it's not really possible.

Should the game not make a profit? If it makes a profit before it's even released, is the developer at fault? If money pours in during development, should they expand and expand and search for something to add to the game because they must spend this money? Should they stop selling glorified pre-orders? Why on earth would they do that? Who on earth would do that?

Hypothetically, if they could make the game for $10,000,000, why shouldn't they spend loads on yachts and hookers? If they deliver what they've said, I don't see a problem. Kickstarter was crowd funding the development but that was a long time ago. Now it's just a product for sale with clever marketing.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

105. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 22:53 Quboid

[VG]Reagle wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 22:26:
So then where exactly is the OTHER $49,900,000 dollars? Yachts and hookers is my educated guess.

Is that an educated guess? Really? It looks more like wild speculation that's probably libellous but IANAL.

Throwing accusations like this around - and this is actually quite a serious accusation - needs to be backed up. Limit Theory is irrelevant, that's a completely different project being developed in completely different circumstances.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 15, 2014, 21:22 Quboid

I bought a DK1 after the DK2 was announced, there were some decent offers on Ebay as people sold theirs off. I was tempted by the DK2 and if CV1 isn't out this year I may still look to get one for Christmas but I figured this way I could try it out sooner and cheaper.

If you're on the fence, I recommend you wait until CV1. Aside from surely being a considerably improved and polished product, there will hopefully be a lot more content to come.

- Quboid

News Comments > Kickstarter Roundup
9. Re: Kickstarter Roundup Apr 15, 2014, 17:54 Quboid

Did the tumbleweed catch someone's eye?  

- Quboid

79. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 16:15 Quboid

It's going to be incredibly depressing when the DFM is released and, inevitably, there's any number of bugs. That it will be an alpha or a beta will be lost by many and the moaning and smugness and angry retorts will be unbearable.  

- Quboid

15. Re: Star Citizen Crowdfunding Hits $42M Apr 15, 2014, 10:44 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Apr 15, 2014, 10:38:
Is there an annoying little anxious thought in your brain that seems to be forming and you cant quite put your finger on what it is? Could it be that something about a 1 Million Dollar Digital Towel stretch goals is rubbing you the wrong way? No?

See, there's your error. Unless I am mistaken, there is no claim of any sort that the stretch goal reward is related to the amount of money they bring in. That makes no sense. That would make them obligated to either stop accepting people's money or endlessly expand the development.

Taking people's money isn't a scam, it's business. Endlessly expanding development is my biggest concern with SC already and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that.

The reward is not what the money is being spent on. That's why they call it a reward - granted, not a conventional reward but it's not a combined purchase by backers.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
171. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 14, 2014, 22:42 Quboid

Drillo, you're unhealthy attached to this. Most people just don't care enough to research this stuff and they - we - never will. You know your stuff and I know it's frustrating to see people get it wrong or cite speculation as fact. But dude, look at your post history, if you're not a shill then you have an unhealthy obsession. People get stuff wrong on the Internet all the time and you won't educate the world - you just look so emotionally invested that you can't be considered reliable.

If you really want to win people over, think out your posts. Link sources appropriately, organise things, redraft it, and for the love of God, I hate to be a grammar Nazi but no one will ever be convinced by stuff like this:

So i rather be a Informed, logical minded Fanboy with evidence to back me up. Then a clueless message board dweller waiting to start of the next mindless shit storm...Though a sold cautious mind and apprehensive is nice and good. But straight up blind bashing lacks intelligence right off the bat.

What? That's barely coherent. In fact, as far as I can tell you actually describe yourself as a clueless message board dweller waiting to start a shit storm.

Stop insulting people. I know, it gets frustrating and I think we can all reach a point where we give up trying to be nice but again, no one will give a flying flip about the thoughts of someone who's just thrown a load of insults their way - or anyone else's way. I largely agree with you on these issues but even if I was informed enough to contribute, I wouldn't want to be in your camp.

The whole conversation is a joke. Regardless of those who are emotionally invested in SC either way, it game isn't out yet and we know practically nothing about it.

TL;DR:

nin wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 21:44:
You're not going to win people over with a fucking novel. No one gives a fuck.

Indeed.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 14, 2014, 21:24 Quboid

38 Priceless Twitter Reactions to That NSFW US Airways Tweet

I know those lists are cheap click bait but it's at times like these that Twitter really shows it's worth.

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Apr 14, 2014, 21:22 Quboid

(Never mind.)  

- Quboid

General Discussion > Crowd Funding Section?
3. Re: Crowd Funding Section? Apr 14, 2014, 20:43 Quboid

I misclicked and came here. I agree, this might help Blue report these without having as many concerns about who to give coverage to.

*tumbleweed*

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 14, 2014, 15:49 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 11:49:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 10:42:
I got 3 games on my wishlist so I am kinda hoping for a sale soon
Check out GMG, they've just kicked off a big 7 day long sales event.
Use this code for an additional 10% off
3VUROJ-VOU4IC-RHVA7N

Thank you!

- Quboid

News Comments > Sid Meierís Civilization: Beyond Earth Details
22. Re: Sid Meierís Civilization: Beyond Earth Details Apr 14, 2014, 15:13 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 11:20:
Quboid wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 10:55:
I haven't come across that one but I can see that it's possible in very mountainous regions. 2UPT could work well if it doesn't imbalance the game.

Well the AI is using it (very effectively, as the AI can suddenly move it's units properly) when you enable it, so I don't see how it could unbalance the game

Armies will be more bunched up, resulting in smaller battle "fronts". This means that ranged units will be able to potentially hit twice as many enemies. I presume they only hit whichever unit is stronger so you could shelter important weak units by stacking them with something cheap and strong like you do with your great general with 1UPT.

Finding places to put your artillery when sieging a city is always a challenge. 2UPT will let you either fit twice as many, or shelter whichever ones you have (if only the strongest unit is hit), shortening sieges. This could lead to cities changing hands more often and therefore having smaller populations, reducing all kinds of production as the game advances.

These can be countered and aren't game breaking but they could add up and there's probably more. I might try it when I next play Civ 5 but I haven't played it yet and I am speculating as to the precise nature of it.

It's impressive how well the AI works with mods, it seems to adapt to so many. I don't know if the mod makers ever need to write AI but even if they do they clearly don't need to go at all low level.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2014, 20:19.

- Quboid

20. Re: Sid Meierís Civilization: Beyond Earth Details Apr 14, 2014, 10:55 Quboid

I haven't come across that one but I can see that it's possible in very mountainous regions. 2UPT could work well if it doesn't imbalance the game.  

- Quboid

17. Re: Sid Meierís Civilization: Beyond Earth Details Apr 14, 2014, 08:46 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 14, 2014, 03:13:
Quboid wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 17:18:

The AI is fine

until you have more than 3 workers....

I don't remember many problems with having several workers under AI control. They can bunch up in one area of the map, such as if you conquer a city then they might all rush in to improve the roads/land, but this is minor and can happen when they're under player control. Is there something I'm forgetting?

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 13, 2014, 18:47 Quboid

I don't think they have a Spring/Easter sale, hopefully they'll change that.  

- Quboid

9. Re: Sid Meierís Civilization: Beyond Earth Details Apr 13, 2014, 17:18 Quboid

Civ 5 certainly isn't universally loved but it's my favourite. I think it's the deepest because 1UPT (1 unit per tile) makes combat much more involving. Clearly not everyone agrees with this opinion but giant stacks of doom were lame. 1UPT brings much more tactics to the battles, rather than pushing out huge numbers of units so if you're good, you can hold off a larger force.

The combat is also less random (no spearmen killing tanks) so while greater numbers help, the player's skill at positioning their units and producing the right blend of skills and promotions plays a bigger factor.

The AI is fine since the latest expansion pack and the Communitas Expansion Pack improves the balance a fair bit. It's a shame that a mod is needed.

- Quboid

149. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2014, 10:46 Quboid

Mad Max RW wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 10:12:
Bethesda did release a humongous texture pack for PC gamers...

I didn't think it was that impressive compared to how it killed my performance but along with mods Skyrim does look more impressive now than on release. It's interesting how the same game can be used as an example of poor graphics and good graphics and for both arguments to have merit. FWIW I thought Skyrim looked good upon release and I think these videos look pretty good too but a short clip doesn't tell the whole story.

- Quboid

147. Re: Into the Black Apr 13, 2014, 08:45 Quboid

Harrowing wrote on Apr 13, 2014, 07:56:
Skyrim... there.. that looked better than the DFM.

What are you basing this on? These videos?

Skyrim was slammed by some upon release for its graphics, largely because of people selectively focusing on some low resolution textures. It's interesting that it's now picked out as a great looking game (which I assume you mean) for other games to be compared to. Selectively compared to, if you're basing your comment off a couple of heavily compressed 720p videos.

- Quboid

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed?
16. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Revealed? Apr 12, 2014, 16:50 Quboid

Alpha Centauri was one of the first 4x games I played, along with Civ 2 and Imperium Galactica 2 (which has an Android version! Yay!).

I hope they have the unit creation system.

- Quboid

85. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 12, 2014, 08:12 Quboid

There's way too much MPEG compression to draw any sort of conclusion about the graphics and it's only 720p anyway. I assume that 1999 claim wasn't serious - 640x480 was considered high res and 3D cards weren't ubiquitous - but dismissing that is about as far as we can go.

I think there are quite a few people overly emotionally invested in Star Citizen on either side of the spectrum, many of whom will never be able to admit that they were wrong. Slinkycatz, I agree with you about people who have made up their mind but you focus on those who expect it to fail after a video which has morons whooping at some fairly generic footage showing nothing that we haven't seen in most other space sims. This is not just people who are overly pessimistic.

- Quboid

4270 Comments. 214 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo