Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4449 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > SCS Software Dev vs Valve
1. Re: SCS Software Dev vs Valve Jun 16, 2014, 12:09 Quboid

Valve, reading from the "we're too big to care" play-book. Same book that Google, Microsoft, governments and other behemoths get their plays from.

Problem? Ignore it. Unignorable problem? Begrudgingly deal with it, but punish whoever made it unignorable so others aren't encouraged to make us do stuff.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jun 15, 2014, 21:46 Quboid

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is coming up on sale on GOG. It's $6 normally, presently discounted to $3 and it will probably be about $1.50 when it's on the full sale. I'd guess it will go on in about 30 minutes, soon after 10pm BNT (Bluesnews Time).  

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jun 15, 2014, 12:46 Quboid

In a busy city there's probably a profitable niche in being a place to unplug and disconnect, or for those who get irrationally angry at the sight of others using technology. That would need to be a ban on all screens and, somehow, ringtones.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2014, 08:32 Quboid

I don't really understand why people are so quick to accuse referees/umpires/etc of being corrupt. It seems far, far more likely to me that they simply get things wrong. Particularly with football/soccer as the authorities are really loathe to help the referees - this year is the first World Cup with goal line technology FFS!

I don't know about the Stanley Cup but the World Cup: the penalty for Brazil was just wrong and Mexico had 2 goals incorrectly disallowed. That's the only wrong decisions I've seen. There's been a few borderline ones too (bad challenges, Neymar's elbow, fouls goalkeepers) but these are all very much in the "seen them given, seen them not given" category. Pressure from the crowd can led to the home team getting a bit more but that's subconscious.

Frankly, I don't think referees to be good enough to be corrupt.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 13, 2014, 21:20 Quboid

Task wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 20:52:
lulz, although I wonder if people realize there are glasses with camera's on them that are extremely small and unnoticeable for all your spying needs...

The video is region locked so I can't view it - does it address the idea that people will use them for spying? That seems like a really odd concern, Google Glass seems like it would be terrible for covert recording.

- Quboid

News Comments > GOG.com Summer Sale
4. Re: GOG.com Summer Sale Jun 13, 2014, 19:48 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 19:46:
Just grabbed Children of the Nile for two-fiddy because I've always meant to grab it and some point and never have. I understand it's quite good.

A quite well received city builder, IIRC. How good is it?

Edit: Ah yes, Tilted Mill. They produced a number of good city builders back in the day.

- Quboid

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2014, 19:14 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 15:32:
Yesterday, the Al-queda-backed Sunni rebel group ISIS overran Mosul and Tikrit. The Shia-dominated Iraqi government made a plea to Iran who sent over the Quds forces (their elite units, like our Marine Corp) to help fight them. Currently Obama is mulling whether or not to provide air support for the Quds. Yes, we're contemplating providing air support for our arch enemy in the region.

Question for you alls: Is there a game out there that captures this kind of insane strategic choice that this political situation has produced?

Crusader Kings 2. It can be delightfully devilish. I can't think of a better political simulator.

Archer's really gone off the rails, I thought ISIS going into the drug business in season 5 was odd but by the sounds of it season 6 is totally jumping the shark.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 13, 2014, 19:01 Quboid

Brataccas wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 18:42:
Quboid wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 18:19:
I'm no currency expert, but aren't there established ways to convert from one currency (such as Bitcoin) to another (such as US Dollars)? Is auctioning them likely to bring in more money?

I can see three problems:
1. Not enough liquidity on any particular exchange to handle that volume
2. Price would crash. 30k bit coins is quite a large trade.
3. I don't think the U.S. government wants to validate the bitcoin model by using it directly.

I'll take #3 please. Treating it as a real currency probably wouldn't be wise politically.

They could sell it off slowly over a range of exchanges. $17.5M isn't that much money - a bit more than is in my savings account, sadly, but it shouldn't destabilise a currency. Bitcoin has lost a fair bit recently (about $30, down to $600 each), is that because of this announcement?

- Quboid

News Comments > GOG.com Summer Sale
2. Re: GOG.com Summer Sale Jun 13, 2014, 18:56 Quboid

Selfish pricks. I have STUFF TO DO DAMMIT!

There's some good stuff there, like the original Rainbow Six.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 13, 2014, 18:19 Quboid

I'm no currency expert, but aren't there established ways to convert from one currency (such as Bitcoin) to another (such as US Dollars)? Is auctioning them likely to bring in more money?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2014, 17:57 Quboid

I don't understand this wireless charging stuff. Needing to put your phone on a pad is much worse than plugging in a micro USB cable and being able to hold your phone. I'm all for wireless charging but I don't see the point of this at all.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Oculus VR Era Projections
29. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 21:38 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:18:
Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 00:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:15:
Most people don't play PC games.

Yeah, those 65 million people on Steam don't mean a thing.

You took it out of context totally.

Most people don't play PC games - but enough do to make it viable. Most people won't strap a TV to their face* - which seemingly means it can't be viable.

* AFAIK there's no real disagreement here and the "Anyone who says different" is largely a figment of Cutter's imagination.

- Quboid

News Comments > VR Game The Assembly Announced
13. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 19:26 Quboid

Earlyworm wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:00:
Quboid wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 17:08:

I already hate horror games in my DK1. That shit's just not enjoyable.

I couldn't agree more.. I am really not excited about all those horror games after I tried a few on my DK1 (e.g. Affected)
They were simply too much for me - it was too real!

Eurotruck simulator was however fantastic.. except for the low resolution of DK1.

Resolution aside, that's where it excels. Any cockpit based game is ideal as your body is in sync with your "body".

Playing War Thunder, a mediocre online flight sim, it's just a joy to be able to look around. It felt more natural immediately than TrackIR ever did and the innate ability to just know where straight ahead is (from the angle of your neck) makes such a difference, and is such an advantage. I honest don't know if non-VR flight sims can ever really appeal any more.

I highly recommend Solar System Explorer if you have a Rift. It's a wonderful demonstration of how sims can embrace VR.

- Quboid

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 17:55 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:33:
Go Croatia!!! (Ok now you know where Im from... )

Final score: Brazil 3-1 Croatia. Tough break. Brazil were the better team and Oscar was superb but you got screwed by the ref for the penalty. There was a few soft decisions but that was just plain wrong IMHO.

I thought that the Croatian keeper was supposed to be good - he's been poor for all 3 Brazil goals. You've got a tasty midfield.

- Quboid

News Comments > VR Game The Assembly Announced
10. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 17:08 Quboid

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 15:35:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 13:15:
Yeah, I really feel that VR is probably the biggest revolution in PC gaming since the invention of accelerated graphics. In the same way that accelerated graphics brought FPS games to the forefront while relegating the adventure and turn-based strategy genres (among others) to the back burner, it will cause a renaissance in sim, sim-lite, driving, and horror games.

Horror especially. Don't remember if it was linked to here but Joystiq did a an Oculus enabled preview of Alien Isolation and apparently it made the guy scream like a little girl. I remember reading about the audience reactions from the first movie. Since then we've become desensitized to a lot of that stuff and I think VR is a good way to reverse that.

I already hate horror games in my DK1. That shit's just not enjoyable.

- Quboid

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 17:04 Quboid

nin wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 16:41:
Shok wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 16:39:
So the new Thief is $15 on Steam today. Is it worth considering at that price or should I wait until it's 5 dolla?

I'd tell you to jump on that deal...except there's no jump option in Thief.

So...

Contextually activate that offer?

I'm surprised Thief is already selling for a quarter of its original price. It must have sold poorly.

- Quboid

News Comments > Oculus VR Era Projections
25. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 16:53 Quboid

Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 13:25:
I'm still baffled at all the interest there is for this while 3D Vision, which is arguably a superior and much more versatile system, remains largely an underground thing.

The Rift is more than 3D - as an output device it gives you much wider, more natural fields of view but even more significant is how it acts as an input device: head tracking adds a lot to games, particularly cockpit based ones.

- Quboid

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 16:13 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:33:
Go Croatia!!! (Ok now you know where Im from... )

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! Brazil score ... for Croatia!

- Quboid

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 11:00 Quboid

Go Northern Ireland!

- Quboid

News Comments > More Games to Support AMD's Mantle
18. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 11, 2014, 17:18 Quboid

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:57:
So for someone who doesn't usually follow AMD stuff ever and without googling, what the hell is this mantle anyways? Someone give me a quick breakdown.

There's hopefully more qualified people than me to say (hat's off to jdreyer, BTW) but basically it's an alternative to Direct 3D which improves performance. Specifically, it reduces the amount of CPU power that's needed by the graphics card, so developers can dedicate more to AI/physics/even more complex graphics/whatever. The next version of Direct 3D, in DirectX 12, will apparently have similar performance boosts, supposedly of up to about 30% (but as with drivers, real world improvements are somewhat less).

Again, I'm no expert but AFAIK, Mantle isn't tied to AMD hardware in the same way as PhysX or TXAA are to Nvidia gear. If Nvidia wanted to, they could add support to Geforce cards but unless the market forces their hand, I expect they'd be loath to embrace an AMD technology - unless they fancy pulling a Microsoft by embracing, extending and exterminating it.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2014, 17:27.

- Quboid

4449 Comments. 223 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo