Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4317 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. May 2, 2014, 21:21 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:20:
Quboid wrote on May 2, 2014, 15:57:
Why is he in so much trouble with the NBA for this and not for denying housing on racial grounds? That's much, much worse.

Why. Two parts all sponsorship was leaving, has left. But even bigger than that and that is plenty big is the players were organizing a walk out. That forced immediate action.

Why didn't the sponsors walk after the earlier case? Why didn't player protest earlier? I understand the NBA's position, they had to act now because the fact of the matter is that their brand was being hurt by the negative publicity - but why wasn't there as big an outcry earlier? Was it just that the reference to going to games brought the NBA into it?

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. May 2, 2014, 15:57 Quboid

It seems ironic that Josh Olin's comments about how Sterling has the right to be an asshole in private wouldn't have got him in trouble if he'd made those comments in private.

Sterling's a prick, obviously, but this seems like a drop in the ocean compared to his past crimes. Why is he in so much trouble with the NBA for this and not for denying housing on racial grounds? That's much, much worse.

- Quboid

News Comments > ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech
18. Re: ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech May 1, 2014, 16:35 Quboid

I don't think the patent thing is necessarily BS. Carmack does acknowledge that ZeniMax owns the code that he wrote, he's not trying to deflect from that. This suggests that he has written new code that has similarities to ZeniMax's old code, similarities that would be in breach of a patent had there been one.

Are Carmack and Oculus VR using code that he wrote while at ZeniMax, or are they using code that's very similar to code that he wrote at ZeniMax? I don't know what the legal position is if it's the later.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $43 Million
81. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million May 1, 2014, 10:23 Quboid

True. The SP portion is what I'm most interested in, which can be said for most games. Perhaps the multiplayer will be OK, it remains to be seen.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Into the Black Apr 30, 2014, 22:01 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 21:46:
I don't know or care about these faux Z-list celebs. Peaches Geldof died? That means nothing to me. Shitty for her parents sure but I'd never even have heard of her if not for her old man. Someone like Bob Hoskins however is someone I've been watching for 30 years and always really liked. Doesn't break me up, but it's definitely an 'Awww that sucks.'

That's why I used her as an example, she's someone who I didn't care about, who I knew very little about, who presented TV shows on a channel I never watched, who featured in gossip magazines that I don't read and who was related to someone I know little about. She meant as little to me as I did to her but when I saw on the news that she'd died, there was a stronger gut feeling of "Damn, that's horrible. Her family must be devastated" then I used to have. It used to be a thought, now it's a feeling.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 30, 2014, 21:43 Quboid

I only experience late night presenters from clips on YouTube but Craig Ferguson is the best general late night presenter, just ahead of Conan. I don't know how well these guys hold up on regular viewing.  

- Quboid

5. Re: Into the Black Apr 30, 2014, 20:29 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 20:02:
Damn, 71 seems young to me.

My reaction to these deaths has changed so much recently. I'm sure 10, maybe just 5 years ago, news like the death of Peaches Geldof wouldn't have bothered me particularly much - sad, but ultimately just another ridiculously named talentless celebrity, famous for being famous, and who would be no one if it wasn't for her father also being famous. Sad news of course, but not something that stuck with me for long after reading the article.

However, now, the "talentless celebrity" thing doesn't matter. She wasn't her job. I just see a 25 year old woman leaving a distraught mother, father, husband and children. 25 years old. 25. The life I've lead since I was 25, she'll never know. That has stuck with me.

It's presumably my age and maturity. I used to have a dislike of the "talentless celebrity" which has been largely superseded by something between admiration for at least attempting their dream and pity for the position that I doubt they particularly wanted to end up in. In much the same way as I've come to understand how money doesn't guarantee happiness, I've come to realise that "talentless celebrity" is a job, not a personality, and she was just a girl mother of 3 trying to get by.

5 or 10 years ago I would have considered 71 to be a ripe old age but not any more. My father isn't much younger and I'm sure as hell not ready to say goodbye to him.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2014, 21:03.

- Quboid

4. Re: Into the Black Apr 30, 2014, 20:14 Quboid

Speaking of videos about serious medical conditions, has anyone seen TotalBiscuit's new VLOG? He has the early signs of bowel cancer, it's heavy stuff and it has sure as hell made me think. Getting hysterical about these things doesn't help anyone but some of the symptoms he discusses - thankfully the minor ones - sound worryingly familiar.

Edit: linked VLOG.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2014, 20:30.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 30, 2014, 17:58 Quboid

I find it really hard to believe that I'm the only person who reads that as SCROTUM. There's no way that I'm the sole person here with a mental age of 11.

I can see that there's a case for not needing a warrant at times, when there is probable cause to believe that the phone contains relevant, time sensitive information. That said, probable cause is already abused in the case of car searches and would inevitably be abused here. I'd like it to require a warrant but I doubt that will be their decision.

It's not encouraging to read Chief Justice John Roberts' comments about Facebook: "Any privacy interest in a Facebook account is at least diminished because the point is you want these things to be public and seen widely" - no no no. That's not how social media works. Some want their posts to be public and widely seen, sure, but no all of us. I lock my Facebook account down so only my friends can see anything; it's private. I wouldn't be dumb enough to put anything incriminating on Facebook but it's the principle of the matter.

- Quboid

78. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 30, 2014, 13:59 Quboid

Tumbler, thank you but I was aware of that. Better hardware and better internet connections can unbalance things but that's long been a fact of PC gaming and is unavoidable. This is a world away from a game being created that is apparently designed specifically to penalise those who don't spend as much. This isn't just avoidable, that's RSI going out of their way to force this by implementing the shop.

The Rock-Scissors-Paper nature of the ships could only make things worse. Not only does my rival have better ships, he has a selection of ships that he can pick from so my Rock always faces his Paper, not his Scissors.

I don't follow the WW2 example. I wouldn't have 5 Hurricanes, I'd have 1. I'd be the guy getting his ass kicked. Perhaps the matchmaking system will ensure a fair fight but I'd rather they didn't go out of their way to have unfair fights in the first place.

SpectralMeat, I've played P2W games and it makes all the difference. I'm not a spoilt child, I accept defeat in a fair fight but I don't fancy spending time or any real money to partake in an unfair one. Beating someone in their $2,000 ship would be nice but it's not going to happen - the only thing that will happen is that I'll have spent $40 to get my ass handed to me and I don't like the sound of that.

- Quboid

75. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 30, 2014, 07:32 Quboid

Tumbler wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 22:43:
If there is a cash shop the only thing they sell is UEC which is the currency of the game. I don't think most people consider that a cash shop.

You will be able to buy whatever you want with UEC inside the game.

Then it's a cash shop with a currency exchange. I convert my currency when I buy fuel for my car too, that's still ultimately using my native currency to buy stuff.

That you can buy everything in-game without spending a penny doesn't stop it from being pay to win. If I am in combat with someone else and I have even a suspicion that they've benefited from spending more real money than I have, then pay to win is seriously damaging the game.

If I'm beaten by someone who is better than me, fine. If I am beaten by someone who has spent more time building up their empire, fine. If I am beaten by someone who has broken out their credit card then the game's integrity is shot.

- Quboid

News Comments > Wolfenstein Gameplay Trailer
30. Re: Wolfenstein Gameplay Trailer Apr 30, 2014, 07:23 Quboid

Jerykk wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 22:57:
The aiming looks suspiciously like auto-aim but I'll assume that's optional on the PC. I don't like how he snipes with a silenced pistol at the 2:00 mark, auto-aim auto-shmaim, a pistol couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at that range and a silenced one wouldn't penetrate wet bread.

If you're looking for realism in a Wolfenstein game, you may be barking up the wrong tree...

Next you'll be telling me that Hitler didn't really have chain gun arms. Come on!

- Quboid

News Comments > Wolfenstein Gameplay Trailer
13. Re: Wolfenstein Gameplay Trailer Apr 29, 2014, 20:44 Quboid

nin wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 18:19:
I had zero interest in this when it was announced. But now, the more I see of it? I think it looks fun...

It looks decent, it could be a fun shooter. The other Wolfenstein games weren't the height of sophistication - well, except the original, which perhaps was both the most sophisticated FPS and the least, by virtue of being the only one.

The aiming looks suspiciously like auto-aim but I'll assume that's optional on the PC. I don't like how he snipes with a silenced pistol at the 2:00 mark, auto-aim auto-shmaim, a pistol couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at that range and a silenced one wouldn't penetrate wet bread.

- Quboid

63. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 17:47 Quboid

There are subscriptions? Not just that, but the subscriptions are for nothing? Hmm.  

- Quboid

61. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 17:16 Quboid

Kosumo wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 17:07:
Hold up, they are sell a monthly $10 sub already as well? OMG - I'm stunned.

Jim Jones is gonna be spinning in his grave that he did not do this first.

Good thing its not gonna be pay for win Sarcasticclap

It appears to be pay to win - despite having an upfront cost - but there's no subscription fee.

P2W isn't really acceptable in a free game so after the sprawling development, that's my biggest concern.

Beamer, this thread has pretty much just been people mocking the other threads but generally speaking, as with most Internet arguments, people emotionally involved either way just parrot the same stuff every time, even down to copy & pasting the same tedious bullshit on to half a dozen threads.

- Quboid

13. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2014, 13:20 Quboid

nin wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 12:57:
<SWOON!>

Kind of wish my father was around to see this...he took me to all the original movies, and even bought me an AT-AT, as reward for not scratching my chicken pox...

That site's pretty hosed, here's the skinny:

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

I've only heard of 2 of the new cast members.

- Quboid

28. Re: Star Citizen Hits $43 Million Apr 29, 2014, 11:56 Quboid

Flak wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 10:38:
From Roberts' weekly FAQ videos, he said the Dog Fighting Module is scheduled to begin rolling out by the second week of May and should be fully rolled out for everyone by the third week of may.

So where are they crusty old farts claiming we wouldn't see a playable version of this game anytime this summer? Oh right.

The biggest thing for me, all the douchebaggery around here aside, is how well it'll play online. If it's laggy it'll be unplayable, I'm interested to see how they tackle networking issues, if they can pull it off, I'll be there day 1.

I assume it's pretty much inevitable that it will be very buggy and that the net code will be described as being a mess. It'll be an early release of a notoriously difficult thing to get right, I don't know if this is labelled pre-alpha or alpha but either way, it's virtually inevitable that it won't work very well.

If you think Star Citizen threads have been toxic before, the ones straight after the DFM will be horrific. The misguided smugness from those who are emotionally invested in SC failing and the righteous anger from those who are emotionally invested in SC succeeding will make our eyes bleed.

Unsure if he's a holier-than-thou apologist, a fan-boy, neither or both,

- Quboid

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Apr 28, 2014, 21:26 Quboid

I've always disliked the Desert Eagle, it seems like a gun with an inferiority complex. I've never used one IRL but I can't imagine it's very practical.  

- Quboid

7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2014, 13:04 Quboid

Congratulations Blue and Mrs. Blue!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 27, 2014, 12:22 Quboid

J wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 11:27:
I'll buy DayZ when it's finished. ... HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
By which time, many players will have moved on and those that remain have no patience for annoying newbies and spend their time moaning about them.

I think DayZ's business model will kill it as a game. But make lots of money so who cares?!

- Quboid

4317 Comments. 216 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo