Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4397 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2014, 21:37 Quboid

What physical size is that? I'll probably be going from a 27" 1920x1200 16:10 display to a 27" 2560x1440 16:9 display so the pixel size change will be quite noticeable.

There are hacks for better high DPI support in Chrome, either by enabling under-development support or by disabling Windows scaling in Chrome and then zooming in it. It's encouraging that it's at least under development, PCs have been assuming ~92 PPI for too long.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam FAQ Adds Early Access Caveat
11. Re: Steam FAQ Adds Early Access Caveat Jun 5, 2014, 15:49 Quboid

NKD wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 03:46:
If the developer and Steam make it clear that there is no promise the title will ever reach a certain state of features and content, and you still pay your money for the game in its current state, then that's that. If the game doesn't turn out how you want, you don't get to cry six months later and say it's not complete enough and demand your money back. You DO get to go fuck yourself however.

Early Access is buying a game in its current state with the hope that it'll be more. The hope, not the guarantee. If you can't handle this arrangement, don't buy Early Access titles and you don't have to worry about it. It's pretty fucking simple.

Certainly more simple than trying to come up with some convoluted and ridiculous system for defining what is or isn't a "finished" game.

I've been very critical of Early Access but I agree with this and I'm glad Valve are doing something to acknowledge how EA has evolved (IIRC it was originally about late balance/polish beta testing for a game that was already funded to release).

That said, if this is about hope rather than a guarantee then it's fair to criticise a game in EA for not living up to expectations. It's not finished, it'll improve, etc? Yes, hopefully. They won't "hopefully" receive my money, they'll actually receive it and I'll hold it to a certain standard. Also, developers should differentiate features on the store page that they hope to add from features that are actually in the game.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: The hidden problem Jun 5, 2014, 13:53 Quboid

You can scale within Chrome as you can with most browsers but this won't help.

I'm looking at new monitors and that 27" 1440p Asus PB278Q monitor is my best bet, along with the similar spec'ed Dell U2713HM and AOC Q2770PQU. It seems that scaling in Windows is pretty poor, although it has improved in 8.0 and 8.1.

I think that the problem with Chrome is that if a font is to be rendered 20 pixels high and scaling is at 150%, it renders the font at 20 pixels and Windows then scales that up to 30 pixels. An application that handles scaling properly would render the font at 30 pixels in the first place, as MSIE does. So if you want Windows scaled up to readable levels, Chrome's cruddy scaling method will be imposed on you.

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2014, 14:13.

- Quboid

News Comments > Tropico 5 Sales Bask in the Sun
2. Re: Tropico 5 Sales Bask in the Sun Jun 4, 2014, 22:09 Quboid

I tried multiplayer and after dozens of attempts to connect, I got into a game and the UI was utterly broken. I couldn't access any menus, including research which meant I couldn't expand my territory.

In single player, it's really good for the first 3 eras but the last one, Modern, is poor. It can be tough and it's nice to be challenged by rebels but over about 1,250 population it gets difficult to manage things.

As with previous Tropico games, it's quite formulaic and each game plays out in much the same way. Because of this, I am finding each game quite a bit easier each time I play a new sandbox game - despite bumping up the difficulty levels.

It's a good game but it's not perfect and my first impressions were overly optimistic. Unless you're desperate for a city builder, it's probably worth waiting for a sale.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2014, 19:25 Quboid

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 18:26:
People are funny. All worried about being recorded by Glass, and yet unaware that for less than $200 you can buy recording gear that looks like a real pair of glasses, or a button, or a lighter - all of which record better quality video/pictures.

It's not even subtle. Anyone wearing Google Glass will be noticed (which might just be the point), the idea that it's somehow any use for spying is bizarre IMHO.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Released
78. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 15:57 Quboid

djinn wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 15:15:
BadIronTree wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 14:37:
Quboid wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 14:15:
Does it have Oculus Rift support?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htoj7qNJRwg

Ok, texture streaming issues aside, that looks pretty bad ass. How does the experience "feel" though? I tried an oculus once and wasn't greatly impressed - screen door and all that sort of thing.

It's too low resolution at present (1280x800), each pixel is much too visible. The next one (DK2) will be 1920x1080 or thereabouts which should help a good deal but I hope that the consumer version is around 2560x1440. That won't be particularly sharp (I very roughly estimate that's equivalent to a 720p monitor) but it should be sharp enough to be more than playable and be more immersive. I think DK2's display has non-square pixels which might further reduce the screen door effect; by stopping things from being the wrong sort of sharp.

Solar System Explorer is the best Oculus Rift tech demo I've played and it has the same spherical hologram map - it looks amazing with the Rift, it really feels like you could reach out and hold it like a beach ball. The map also has a projection mode that puts you in the middle of this sphere so planets' positions are overlaid inside the cockpit - this also looked superb and with head tracking it is hugely usable.

Thanks BadIronTree.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Released
61. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 14:15 Quboid

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 13:29:
panbient wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 11:17:
What's up with those random looking polys around the edge of the UI (especially the stuff covering the Thrust Output)? The background planet looks really nice but I honestly can't tell if those shapes are supposed to be hull or wreckage.
The game glitches out. Basically after several minutes of playing the visuals get screwed up - textures go missing, random shapes start appearing, etc. That's after disabling SLI, as before that it's a flickering mess of ultra-bright colours.

When it works it's quite enjoyable and the visuals are decent but it's pretty terrible at the moment.

As someone mentioned earlier, this can be an over-heating graphics card. I've had cards die with corruption like that being the first symptoms, I believe due to VRAM damage. Check that its fan is running smoothly and heatsinks are still attached properly.

I'm pleasantly surprised that this is out now and seems to be in decent condition. I'd expected more delays and for it to be rather rough. Does it have Oculus Rift support?

- Quboid

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2014, 14:00 Quboid

I have spent half an hour looking at my phone in a cafe on many occasions, I like to get a coffee and read the day's news. I'm not holding it at an angle suitable for filming but it wouldn't be hard to slouch in such a way that it looks natural enough.

I've never done this - honest! - but I have no doubt that I could record most of anyone's visit to the cafe without arousing any suspicion at all and it would be at least as easy as with glasses (and that's without needing these glasses to see). It would be easier to follow someone who's moving around than constantly readjusting glasses on a table (which would look very suspicious to anyone who notices that they're hi-tech).

I think there's a recording light but presumably it could be disabled.

- Quboid

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 4, 2014, 13:43 Quboid

I would think that it's a lot easier to secretly film someone with a phone than with glasses. With glasses, you have to look at what you're recording. With a phone, you could pretend to write a text or put your phone in your pocket. You could even pretend to hold it up for better reception if you want a high angle shot.

I wouldn't assume someone wearing Google Glass was filming, if they were I wouldn't assume it was perverted and if it was, I wouldn't flatter myself by thinking they're perving at me.

- Quboid

News Comments > Battlefield 4 "Netcode" Patch
9. Re: Battlefield 4 Jun 3, 2014, 20:36 Quboid

It's interesting to see the total latency. A quarter of a second seems horribly high (and evidently is) but I've no idea what most games use. I got a ping of a few milliseconds in Quake but there's much more than just ping slowing things down.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2014, 18:45 Quboid

You're blowing through factional milestones pretty fast now. Four fifths!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Tropico 5 May 31, 2014, 22:22 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 31, 2014, 17:35:
My main complaint with Tropico 5 is the military are brain dead, I've had a standing military of 45, and they got wiped out by two squads of enemy troops because mine kept running around, and around the block.

They're pretty hopeless. It's a fair fight as your opponents are as bad but it would be nice if they were a bit smarter or even just a bit faster. It's weak seeing regular traffic (happily driving through a war-zone) zoom past my military.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Tropico 5 May 31, 2014, 12:36 Quboid

Tropico 5 is pretty good.

The Era system addresses my main complaint with Tropico 3 and 4: the difficulty curve. In T4, you'd struggle to build up a village until you got some industry and then the challenge would drain away. With Eras, each time period has distinct challenges and dealing with rebels has been an actual challenge. I was barely troubled by them in T4 but in T5, I lost my palace to rebels and military coups several times, even in the late game.

There's a decent amount of content this time. There aren't a huge number of buildings (and I expect DLC will be plentiful) but the overhauled systems, Eras in particular, mean that this actually does feel like a sequel.

The maps are big, the graphics look nice and it runs well. I've had some stability issues, enough to make me wish the auto-save was more frequent and I hope this will be patched up.

I tried multiplayer. It took me ages to get into a game and then it was horribly broken. If you're looking at T5 for multiplayer, wait.

There's some UI issues. Upgrading dozens of houses when stuff like electricity becomes available would be much handier if you could multi-select homes. On the overlays data page, I'd love another tab that colour-coded people's houses according to the inhabitant's average happiness in the dozen or so categories: finding where needs a new clinic should be easier.

I think that each game will play out in pretty much the same way, as it did in T3 and T4, so it will get samey. Still, it's a worthy Tropico game and one of the best city builders around.

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2014, 21:10 Quboid

The AOC Q2770PQU is a bit cheaper and quite well regarded. I've never heard of AOC, anyone any experience?  

- Quboid

6. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2014, 20:48 Quboid

I have a 1920x1200 27" monitor now but it's failing before my eyes. It's 60hz and has a very poor response time but the ghosting doesn't bother me so while 90hz or 120hz would be nice, QHD seems more useful.

The 2 main options I've found are the Dell 2713HM and the Asus PB278Q - both 2560x1440 @ 60hz. The Dell is IPS, the Asus PLS. IPS looks a little better but PLS is a little faster.

- Quboid

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced
5. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced May 30, 2014, 16:30 Quboid

That doesn't say. There's a campaign, but is that more than a few scenarios on an existing map with/against existing units? I want to fly a P51 Mustang against a BF109, not an A10.  

- Quboid

1. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2014, 16:09 Quboid

Can anyone recommend a 27" monitor? As far as I can see it's either 1440p@60hz or 1080p@120hz unless I feel like importing a QNIX QX2710 from South Korea and overclocking it, which I don't.  

- Quboid

News Comments > DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced
1. Re: DCS: F-86F Sabre Announced May 30, 2014, 16:02 Quboid

What do these include, apart from the aircraft? Is there a Korea map included, era-appropriate units to fight, things like that?  

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com
12. Re: SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com May 29, 2014, 22:40 Quboid

Definitely get NAM, but during installation of the mod you can choose which features to include - I recommend new players turn off all but the couple that actually relate to optimising traffic. There are a few nice additions available if you want but most of it just clutters up the game's menus.  

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com
9. Re: SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com May 29, 2014, 19:40 Quboid

jimnms wrote on May 29, 2014, 19:06:
Creston wrote on May 29, 2014, 12:29:
Hmmm... Does anyone know if that traffic mod works with the Gog version?

What traffic mod?

Network Addon Mod aka NAM improves traffic flow. I can't say by how much because I haven't played SC4 without it for a long time, it's essential IMHO. It's become quite bloated and also has lots of extras like roundabouts, diagonal streets, curved pieces (like model train tracks). There's a lot of junk in there and I recommend turning most of it off if you're new to NAM. Because you weren't there, man. You weren't there.

- Quboid

4397 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo