Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4878 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 18:32 Quboid

I like Bluray, IMHO it is the best way to watch a film so I've never agreed with Blue's (comic-exaggeration'ed) dismissal of it but I can't see "Ultra HD Bluray" (ridiculous name, more buzz than the drawer beside your mom's bed) or any other physical media having the impact it had - and it didn't have the impact of DVDs or ye olde VHS which were ubiquitous in my day. Streaming has already put Bluray's best days behind it.

Enthusiasts and people with poor net connections will keep some sort of market afloat but the days of my local supermarket stocking any films are probably ending. I happened to look at a local electronics store (Currys) for their games were they used to stock hundreds of titles and now they sell ... some pieces of cardboard with Steam codes on them. That is one dead market.

(Note: I added the second paragraph while DukeFNukem was composing their reply so despite appearances they didn't ignore this; it didn't exist when they hit reply. Sorry.)

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2015, 18:51.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 17:31 Quboid

Are there actually "PCs are dying" articles? This article says that a year ago pundits were declaring it dead yet almost exactly a year ago I was wondering the same thing.

The same point still goes, that these articles could simply be on sites that I don't visit and Blue doesn't link to - there's always someone saying something stupid somewhere on the Internet.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 14:22 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 14:02:
Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 13:24:
Neither do I. If the excuse of "nothing to do with us" is valid, it's valid. If it's not, it's not. Severity has nothing to with it.

I absolutely disagree, context matters. Either way I'm not going any further down this road, that whole gamergate shit will just derail things.

From him, that doesn't surprise me. From you it does.

First off don't try to attribute other peoples text to me, I supplied my own that could've been easily used. Second I've lived in muslim centric areas for years and my text comes from my personal experiences. I'm generalizing out of necessity when dealing with a broad subject like this one, I don't believe every single muslim is necessarily responsible.

I did use your text, I only used Cutter making the same mistake more explicitly to reinforce my point.

Why on earth do you think people being incorrectly blamed for something much much worse than gaming's ills are going to be any happier with the connection? How is that any more fair? The only relevant context I can see is that you're making the same old mistake about something much more significant.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2015, 14:35.

- Quboid

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 13:24 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 13:14:
Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 12:59:
This reasoning "works" when you put in any beleaguered group. Something tells me that my modifications aren't going to look quite as palatable when it's us who are being told we're responsible for the actions of other people who, to outsiders, appear to speak for us. The actions of these terrorists are a hell of a lot less representative of Muslims than the actions of the most objectionable gamers are to many of us.

(If you think I'm calling any gamers terrorists, you are completely missing my point.)

Ugh, why would you try to conflate these two unlike situations? Tell you what, if gamers were actually blowing up people, shooting people and attempting to undermine society as a whole I would get involved. When it affects our collective societies, yes action is required to preserve that. I don't think "gamergate" qualifies as equivalent.

Neither do I. If the excuse of "nothing to do with us" is valid, it's valid. If it's not, it's not. Severity has nothing to with it.

Look at that shit Cutter has posted. " If they don't step forward and actively fight against this alleged perversion of Islam, then it isn't a perversion. Prove the western haters wrong. Or prove them right." Never mind that several Muslims died yesterday, including a cop who died because he was trying to protect free speech, nooooo. That's not enough. It's got to be Muslims versus Westerners because he can't understand anything more. From him, that doesn't surprise me. From you it does.

- Quboid

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 12:59 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 11:15:
I'm more tired of the excuses from gaming communities. Its an extreme minority that is not representative of our culture, we wash our hands of it and the like. Do these guys have to follow through on their threats before they wake up and start to acknowledge the problem? There seems to be a pretty thin line between moderate and extreme gamers, many developers and authors have been threatened by gamers who claim to be concerned about ethics.

Is there any reasoning with people who want the rest of the world to strictly adhere to one sided bronze age cultural standards? Is tolerance really working? Can these two disparate civilizations actually co-exist peacefully? I often wonder.

This reasoning "works" when you put in any beleaguered group. Something tells me that my modifications aren't going to look quite as palatable when it's us who are being told we're responsible for the actions of other people who, to outsiders, appear to speak for us. The actions of these terrorists are a hell of a lot less representative of Muslims than the actions of the most objectionable gamers are to many of us.

(If you think I'm calling any gamers terrorists, you are completely missing my point.)

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2015, 13:05.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 7, 2015, 18:39 Quboid

That's one aspect of VR that I don't really understand. Are things like this treadmill 1:1? Am I going to hit the gym before I can play Far Cry? I don't think I am quite able to sprint the length of Kyrat. Even smaller scale games like Wolfenstein, that's a lot of sweat. I don't want that and it makes a VR headset much less comfortable (already my biggest concern) and liable to slip around especially if you're moving your body.

There's potential for some really amazing fitness games if the comfort issue can be sorted out but for most VR content, I don't see the point.

Tracking arm, hand and finger movement makes sense. It's not without problems (lack of tactile feedback, knocking over your beer, getting tangled in a wire) but I can see how that would add to the experience, rather than remind me that I'm not built like B.J. Blazkowicz. And yes, I had to Google that spelling. Sue me.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2015, 18:45.

- Quboid

News Comments > Razer Unveils OSVR Headset
10. Re: Razer Unveils OSVR Headset Jan 6, 2015, 16:25 Quboid

Called it!

Those specs do seem a bit low, I wonder if they're rushing to beat the Oculus Rift to market. I hope the Rift is 2560x1440 @ 75hz at least.

- Quboid

News Comments > Far Cry Poll
36. Re: Far Cry Poll Jan 5, 2015, 20:22 Quboid

Gib007 wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 19:05:
What they need to do is give us 21:9 monitor players proper FOV control. It's embarrassing that 16:9 has more FOV than 21:9...

Using borderless windowed mode gives 21:9 users better FOV than using fullscreen, as stupid as that sounds. I don't know if gives you any control over it but it is better than stretching. (Source)

Beamer wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 19:35:
Far Cry 5 / Alpha Centuri FPSRPG.

Sold.

"Indigenous lifeform detected."

Sweet, time for a new wallet!

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2015, 20:29.

- Quboid

22. Re: Far Cry Poll Jan 5, 2015, 14:34 Quboid

Beamer, jdreyer, have you tried Loadout? It has a nice weapon crafting system where you build a weapon by choosing components much like you described in post #15, Beamer.

It's also one of the very few free-to-play games which aren't pay-to-win in my opinion. I recommend trying it out although the actual gameplay doesn't particularly interest me.

- Quboid

18. Re: Far Cry Poll Jan 5, 2015, 14:00 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 12:24:
The worst example of this, to me, is in the new Wolfenstein. You need to press X to pick up ammo. Every time. Dear developers: can you tell me a single time I wouldn't want to pick up ammo? Ever? I get why games make me loot bodies for junk and trinkets - maybe I'm low on room, or maybe it's just a gameplay feature to find all the dead bodies, but there's never, ever a time I don't want to pick up ammo. Ever. Stop making me have to hit a button to do it.

That is by far the biggest problem with the new Wolfenstein. I spend half of fire fights looking at the ground and hammering E to hover up stuff that I will always want all of. Newspaper clippings and other things that take you out of the action and aren't done hundreds of times every level should require a keypress but in this game, resources shouldn't. Even large health or armour packs, I've never wanted to save one that I couldn't have not walked over.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
46. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 5, 2015, 12:13 Quboid

If developers were in charge of big budget games, there would be more risks taken. When it works out we get creative, innovative classics like Star Citizen but when it fails, we get overly ambitious, unfocused train wreaks like Star Citizen.  

- Quboid

8. Re: Far Cry Poll Jan 5, 2015, 11:50 Quboid

It's a mixed bag - zombies, really? - but there's some cool concepts in there. A character in FC4 mentioned he was going to "South America, maybe Cuba" which given other references (Willis referring to FC3's "SoCal douche-bag" made me laugh) I took to be a clue about FC5. That would be Peru; survival in Alaska and fighting/surviving in Vietnam would also get my vote.

Far Cry 4 was excellent but I really hope they don't just repackage Far Cry 3 again. My first impression of FC4 was that it was FC3 but worse, that the changes they had made worsened the experience in my opinion. This picked up and features I disliked, such as bait, could be ignored so I enjoyed it very much but it didn't feel new in the same way that every other Far Cry game has. If FC5 was to be Far Cry 3.6, hopefully Ubisoft's annus horribilis will prompt a rethink - but probably not.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
42. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated] Jan 4, 2015, 21:31 Quboid

Technology has already made numerous jobs obsolete yet employment rates have remained relatively steady. Not even third world countries employ lamplighters for example, but the person who used to go around town and light street lights every evening might now sell mobile phone cases at a shopping mall. Individually it's not a big change but the economy is that bit bigger as a result of electric street lights.

The money saved by companies using ever more automated systems gets reinvested. When one company uses this money on Research and Development, others have to to stay competitive - and while I think too much money goes into too few pockets, those who funnel too much into the yacht industry will get out-innovated and find that they are obsolete (at which point, they prolong their existence by suing the innovators).

The jobs will change but I don't think they will disappear.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. The Interview Jan 4, 2015, 13:05 Quboid

If the Sony hacking was the backlash for The Interview and the publicity was the backlash to the backlash, that would make these Razzie nominations the backlash to the backlash to the backlash.

I think I'll go and watch it, in response to the Razzie nominations. It's time for a backlash against the backlash against the backlash against the backlash against this film.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
17. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 3, 2015, 18:30 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 16:34:
You are referencing comic #9 are you not? Comic 9 has specifically the point that men MUST not complain about this:

"If a game clothes male characters to emphasis their muscles and the camera lingers there during cutscenes, and clothes females in practical clothing and focuses on their actions."
and females/males may only complain about this:

"If a game clothes female characters to emphasis their T&A and the camera lingers there during cutscenes, and clothes males in practical clothing and focuses on their actions."

In fact it goes so far to only grant females the right to call something (relating females) sexist.

Anyway, maybe I really read more into your post than you intended. I simply can't understand what you mean with what you said without making it sound like you are saying that men can not (are not allowed to) find their own portrayal in media sexist... (like the comic #9 says and claims). I mean, when something relating to the genders is constantly stereo-typed in media, then that is sexist and objectification to me.

I guess I didn't help my case by making my posts in this tree a bit more inflammatory than they had to be. Sorry, I blame holiday stress +.+

I'm being strict with my definition of sexual objectification, taking it to be treating someone as an object for sexual gratification. If the situation was reversed then that would also be sexual objectification but this rarely happens in gaming.

In terms of sex-as-in-gender, then I agree that men and women both get objectified based on their sex. To me that is sexism but not sexual objectification but really this is a technicality; I take your point (and admittedly I didn't help by being vague at the start of post #10). That comic generalises about men and women so much that it's just nonsense.

It's almost like a comic strip can't actually settle a complicated issue. Who'd have thunk it?!

- Quboid

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 3, 2015, 14:48 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 13:07:
Quboid wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:12:
There's a difference between sexy and sexually objectification. If a game clothes female characters to emphasis their T&A and the camera lingers there during cutscenes, and clothes males in practical clothing and focuses on their actions, then that game is sexist and reversing the argument doesn't change what the creator, regardless of what they intended, actually created.

There is zero difference ~.~

[...]

explain please why my perception is worth less just because I am a male and why I can't complain about the portrayal of males in video games and their objectification

[...]

Why do you think that your gender has anything to do with what I said?

- Quboid

News Comments > Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: "No Finish Line"
51. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 14:20 Quboid

Kajetan wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 12:33:
Quboid wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 11:33:
Do you expect whatever modules that they are working on at that time to get finished, and for most of the promised (supposedly funded but at that time undelivered) content to eventually see the light of day?
The modules they work on will see a release. Because the developement of these modules with a certain feature set is already funded.

If the speed of funding falls away quite quickly, any significant delay in development will force them to cut features - which would reduce confidence and therefore funding further.

The chance of a significant delay is, in my opinion, very high. Many developers with lots of experience face delays and there are a great many things that can go wrong even on much less ambitious projects. Only time will tell how many problems they have and how they're able to deal with them. Hopefully they will have the money to withstand some delays and the goodwill to be able to cut some features without incurring too much wrath.

I predict that they will have to make some pretty major cuts. Even if the money holds up, some of the things that they've promised just aren't going to be very good or aren't technically possible. In a normal project these features never see the light of day so no one is the wiser but in Star Citizen, some people will get upset.

- Quboid

41. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 11:33 Quboid

Kajetan wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 10:34:
When the funding money stops, we will get "only" the game he and his employees are already working on. Whats wrong with that?

Do you expect whatever modules that they are working on at that time to get finished, and for most of the promised (supposedly funded but at that time undelivered) content to eventually see the light of day?

- Quboid

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 3, 2015, 11:12 Quboid

I don't agree with comic #9. I've barely heard anyone claim that male characters are (edit: specifically sexually) objectified (I was going to call it a strawman argument but evidently it's not), the argument I have seen more is that male characters are also depicted unrealistically - but not sexually objectified.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 04:09:
Icewind wrote on Jan 2, 2015, 18:21:
Smells like that article was written by an SJW.

The last example (Muscle men not same as sexy women) is the primary proof you need to know this is typical SJW bullshit. Because of course a muscled hulk hogan men in every game is fucking SEXIST. No matter who's power-fantasy it is. Sexism is not defined by what the the creator intents!

This is superb argument reversal that you always see by SJW's "Oh, men can't be hurt by this, because it's their power fantasy!" as if every men wants to be hulk hogan. Or do you think all women want to be ugly and fat? You telling me there is no women that wants to look sexy? And suddenly when it's a man, that is no longer true? But when it's men it's ok, and when it's women it's evil?

I hate SJW's

There's a difference between sexy and sexually objectification. If a game clothes female characters to emphasis their T&A and the camera lingers there during cutscenes, and clothes males in practical clothing and focuses on their actions, then that game is sexist and reversing the argument doesn't change what the creator, regardless of what they intended, actually created.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2015, 17:34.

- Quboid

38. Re: Roberts on Star Citizen in 2015: Jan 3, 2015, 09:34 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 08:47:
Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2015, 00:32:
I found this interview pretty interesting on PC gamer.

I start by asking if the money raised is enough. Its never enough! he laughs. We scale development according to how much money is coming in. The level of support dictates our level of ambition. This is a huge open-world game where you can go from planet to planet, so we could spend hundreds of millions of dollars on it quite easily.

Wow. That is incredible. I'd say that's the first solid proof I've read indicating this game is in real trouble.

He sounds like everyone who has ever been caught up in a financial bubble.

It's all good while the money keeps coming in but when what? Stop announcing new features and finish the game with existing finances? Sure, as long as they've got their budgeting right ... which few developers seem to do even when they know what the final budget will be!

- Quboid

4878 Comments. 244 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo