Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4316 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs 101 Trailer
12. Re: Watch Dogs 101 Trailer May 14, 2014, 07:08 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 14, 2014, 01:46:
Going to wait for all of you guys to give input, no way I am putting money down on this with the delay and not seeing much if any actualy gameplay. The fact it wasn't played at the most recent conventions shuold really throw up some red flags.....

QFT. Getting amped up about a title before release is a mug's game and yes, I speak from vast personal experience.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Adds "Extreme" Frame Rate Support
26. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 19:53 Quboid

Thanks scheherazade. They're cheaper than I thought. Which has better image quality? There seems to be quite a few variants of the Qnix one, not all are 120hz.

This might not make sense but: is there any advantage to 120hz over 90hz other than the obvious? An extra 30hz probably won't matter to me as I'm fine with a 60hz monitor and a slow response time. I'm wondering if, as 120hz is a multiple of 60hz, there is better software compatibility or any advantage like that. I don't mean adding an extra frame like some TVs do, that's silliness.

This comment was edited on May 13, 2014, 20:06.

- Quboid

23. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 17:30 Quboid

Scheherazade wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:25:
I use 2560x1440 @ 120hz. (ips)

It's kind of the best of both worlds. Happy with it.

I know IPS has a tad more pixel latency, but I'll spare that 4ms or so for the nicer colours. I'm getting old anyways, it's not like I can FPS like I used to (not like it matters, since action [i.e. quake/ut] FPS games are a relic of the past too).

-scheherazade

That sounds ideal for me, who made it? I'd happily forgo a few milliseconds for a better picture, although I'd like to get an OLED screen and have both. I presume G-Sync isn't worth waiting for for much the same reason.

What sort of connector do these monitors use? I don't think my Geforce has a Display Port socket.

- Quboid

17. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 13:32 Quboid

I have a 60hz LCD monitor from 7 years ago, its response time is the full 16ms. I know there's motion blur but unless I specifically use motion blur or ghosting test pages then I never notice it. Still, I hope to be needing at least 90 FPS at 2560x1440 for the Oculus Rift so I might get a fancier monitor soon. Did Microsoft ever add decent PPI scaling to Windows?

If you want to rub console gamers' faces in their 30 FPS, their framerate comparison is interesting. I wonder how visible 120FPS would be to me on that test.

- Quboid

News Comments > 4A Games Expanding; Unannounced Metro Game Plans
4. Re: 4A Games Expanding; Unannounced Metro Game Plans May 13, 2014, 10:32 Quboid

If they can replicate the quality jump from Metro: 2033 (a decent FPS) to Metro: Last Light (one of the best old-school corridor shooters I've played), they'll have something special.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
67. Re: Steam Top 10 May 12, 2014, 16:47 Quboid

born2expire wrote on May 12, 2014, 14:08:
I was being helpful to anyone like myself who had heard the promises about KB+mouse working this time around, when clearly they don't (and have insane input lag on the mouse buttons).

This matters to me. I have a gamepad and am happy to use it for games that are appropriate for it but I wouldn't want play a third person game with one.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse May 12, 2014, 14:46 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on May 12, 2014, 14:41:
Verizon: 30% or More of Our Users Will Never Get FiOS.

100 people call in, 100 people told they will never get FiOS: "You're just part of that 30%."

30% of our users will never get FiOS but 70% will drop our asses the minute any glimpse of competition comes to town.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse May 12, 2014, 12:17 Quboid

According to a recent poll, 50% of people wouldn't want to pay $2 a month when it's purely hypothetical and they don't actually have to lose their shows.

According to a recent poll, 50% of people said that they'd rather try to persuade Netflix not to increase their prices.

According to a recent poll, 50% of people stated that a worthless poll is worthless.

- Quboid

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off in September
4. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Takes Off in September May 9, 2014, 11:14 Quboid

What happened to Oleg? I played various IL-2 games but had lost interest in flight sims in general by the time Cliffs of Dover or whatever that Battle of Britain / guitar song inspired game was. I heard it was a train wreak but I don't know if that was fair or if it improved much.

- Quboid

News Comments > Free Unreal Tournament Plans
14. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 16:19 Quboid

Esoteric wrote on May 8, 2014, 16:12:
I don't understand the negativity. They're going to listen to the community, and the community knows UT3 sucked and 2k4/99 were good. People CAN charge for mods, but there are going to be TONS of people who will make maps/mods for free.

It's PC only. It's not F2P, it's free. Imagine Dota 2. The base game is entirely free, no paywall through microtransactions at all. Except people will make and distribute mods/maps for free. Some will charge, and if their stuff is good enough, they will make some money (and deservedly so).

Epic is going to make their money by taking a cut of the mod/maps that are sold, and also they're creating a huge user base of UE4. By creating such a large user base, they increase the amount of games made with UE4, which they will take a 5% cut of.

For those with such a negative view, can you explain why?

There are going to be maps/modes in the basic game. There will be TONS of free content.

It fragments the player base. Say you're playing with 19 clan mates: you will only be able to play in the paid maps that all 20 of you own. You'll only be able to play the mods that all 20 of you own. With free content and a decent net connection, people can auto-download a map in effectively no time. I don't know if other games have dealt with this problem.

I agree with you, it's at least an interesting concept and deserving people could make a nice bit of cash, fragmentation is my only concern.

- Quboid

News Comments > Free Unreal Tournament Plans
12. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 16:11 Quboid

harlock wrote on May 8, 2014, 16:04:
UE4 is getting me back into game dev, so this is pretty interesting to me.. not sure how much the end users will be excited about this

That's the beauty of it for Epic: modders are going to be interested and get hooked on the Unreal Engine. If this takes off, it will be easier for developers to make Unreal Engine games because the best new talent will be used to it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
61. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 8, 2014, 16:05 Quboid

Verno wrote on May 8, 2014, 09:33:
Anyways while I think the consumer is short changed on Early Access crap, its up to them to make an informed decision.

I think that has to be the bottom line and evidently is how it's treated. Valve have made the best part of a million dollars out of Towns, they're not going to kill the goose that's laying golden eggs. I think they're on dicey legal ground as it is, they (as I read it) sell the final product and whatever that is, it ain't Towns. They should label it better, issue appropriate receipts and perhaps add a Kickstarter style all-or-nothing model. Not that that's perfect.

I nearly bought Towns for a few bucks, I think during the Christmas sale. If I had, I wouldn't be too bothered about the money and if Prison Architect, Space Engineers or Next Car Game gets canned, well, too bad - I knew the risks even if I don't agree with them. I certainly wouldn't actually take legal action, those threats on the Steam forums after every release are literally laughable.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 7, 2014, 22:19 Quboid

Pigeon wrote on May 7, 2014, 21:42:
JeffD wrote on May 7, 2014, 20:43:
At first I thought the negative review fiasco was going to be another pr shit storm, until I saw that they in
fact highlighted parts of the review that are libel, negative accusations that the author had not backed up. Looks like the lawyers get a win for this one.

The day of reckoning has come; people on the internet being required to back up their wild accusations with verifiable facts. This could be way more damaging than the major ISPs' assault on net neutrality; the end of days is nigh

I understand the company's reaction, but I'm not sure this is the best action. Funnily enough the letter accuses the poster of pretty much he same actions the poster was accusing the company for; artificially inflating popularity.

Is it a beautiful day, a terrible day or both?

I wouldn't like to see anyone get sued for claiming Chris Roberts is spending the Star Citizen trove on cocaine and hookers but when you're directly trying to influence whether or not people buy someone's product then you shouldn't throw these around.

Lawyers, as seems inevitable, go into these things like a sledgehammer. Could they not ask politely first?

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 7, 2014, 21:54 Quboid

Dades wrote on May 7, 2014, 21:20:
As if the NSA is going to let a pesky thing like congress or laws stop them from committing multiple breaches of the constitution. You know who gets my vote in the next election? The politician that will actually deliver on disbanding it.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

So you'll be abstaining then?

- Quboid

55. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 21:31 Quboid

I understand the problems and I don't have answers. How do you define a proper release? That's what E.A. is promising so if you think it's fine, what is it? Under the present system, at what point do you give a refund? When it's a scam, when it's fraud: how many borderline cases will there be? How many hysterical over-reactions will there be? How many relatively unsuccessful frauds get away with it because they don't go viral and only scam a few thousand people?

Valve is not selling an alpha build, Valve is a finished product and if what they are selling can't even be defined then the system clearly is not working.

If you preordered Titanfall on Origin, played the beta and it was then cancelled, would you shrug and say "oh well, that's $60 I'll never see again"? Plenty of companies have offered beta access to those who preorder and some of these have even been actual betas and not demo-with-excuses. How have they done it? I presume it's because they aren't relying on the money from pre-orders to finish the game and as much as I'd like indie games to succeed, if they can't make that promise then they shouldn't make that promise.

They could do a lot more, but Valve could just relabel the Early Access section and avoid having to define the undefinable. Don't sell a finished product with early access, make it a proper crowd funding system and sell the idea of funding a project with potential which has access to development builds as a perk.

- Quboid

49. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 18:18 Quboid

Beamer wrote on May 7, 2014, 17:39:
What makes The Town unfinished? People here are saying they played it and enjoyed it. What makes it still Early Access? Couldn't they just just release something called v1.0, say it's the release version, and then have technically satisfied their obligations?

It isn't like plenty of other games don't get released missing features and with bugs.

The difference is that someone paid early? It's the risk you take. Unless it's a clear case of consumers being screwed, and there are few of those, Valve just needs to be more up front about the risks you take.
Honestly, people here seem to have enjoyed playing this game. That's more than I've gotten out of some of the polished, finished games I've purchased from Steam, and B&M, actually.

Given that it's now been "released" and is "finished", that's a very pertinent question.

There's a post by Xavi, one of the original developers. He says that he decided several months ago that it was finished. He then hired an additional developer and says he intends to hire another one to continue the development, because members of the community didn't consider it to be finished. Whether that's admirable commitment to listening to his customers or bullshit to cover mismanagement and avoid facing Valve's wrath is unknown.

I played the free version of it some time ago and enjoyed it and I added it to my Steam Wishlist for later (although I removed it in a later cull). It didn't seem particularly unfinished which is why I'm wondering how it took so long. Where do I draw the line between a bad game and an unacceptable game? That's tough. When the developer believes it's ready? No. As well as being utterly unenforceable, that doesn't work: every project I've ever worked on has had to be shipped before I'm truly ready and I wouldn't expect many developers feel differently. For Early Access, I think Valve should test it and make sure that the E.A. build is at an advanced stage and includes what it claims it will. At least then the nonsense ones (Earth 2066) would be weeded out sooner and those which pass the test but ultimately don't get released leave buyers with a decent beta (this probably applies to Towns, which I don't mean to imply is a huge travesty). This isn't beyond their resources.

Valve being more upfront would be fine. Well, it has resulted in a system which I consider to be rubbish and bad for PC gaming, but if it was made clear that this was crowd funding or otherwise didn't - as far as I can tell - promise a final product then I wouldn't have ethical complaints with it. They're trying to have the benefits of both preorders and crowd funding and leaving us with the downsides.

Edit: jdreyer, the UK has lemon laws in the Sale Of Goods Act 1979. If this applied to software, Steam would have to operate very differently. Early Access would be more complicated but I'm pretty sure with E.A. products Valve is guaranteeing a final product even if they don't intend to. I've bought games on Early Access: the receipt implies that Valve owe me one completed game and the product page states that the E.A. build isn't that.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2014, 18:24.

- Quboid

45. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 17:39 Quboid

They've released it, by some miracle the final version is on Steam.

If I was the cynical sort, I'd suspect they slapped a "final" sticker on the last build that compiled but thankfully I'm not, so I'll be picking this up.

- Quboid

News Comments > Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds
76. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 7, 2014, 17:37 Quboid

Overon wrote on May 7, 2014, 17:30:
Steam is still still selling Towns even though the developer has pulled the plug on development:
see here

It's not early access any more, at a guess they've slapped a "final" label on the last build and shipped that.

Jivaro, the court was hypothetical. I'm not pathetic enough to threaten legal action over a game and consider such comments to be laughable. I don't know what you think if not crowd funding.

- Quboid

41. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 17:31 Quboid

Beamer wrote on May 7, 2014, 17:18:
There's zero chance Valve can guarantee Early Access titles get an official launch. Zero. That's not how anything works. Ever. Anywhere.

That's just not realistic. Projects get canceled for being bad. Projects get canceled because people quit. Projects get canceled because companies go out of business.
Nothing is going to change that.

And when those projects get cancelled, people who have already paid for the product in question gets refunds unless there is no one left to pay.

Valve can go into crowd funding and set up a "hope for the best" system but they have to label it as such.

FWIW, I believe that you are/were a lawyer and that alone is making me hesitant but I think I've got a pretty tight case: Early Access isn't crowd funding and shouldn't be held to as low a standard.

- Quboid

39. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 17:13 Quboid

Verno wrote on May 7, 2014, 17:01:
Quboid wrote on May 7, 2014, 16:49:
What exactly are you informed?

As far as I know no games on Early Access give any more reason to believe that they won't be finished than any other preorder, or that the contract is any less valid.

Every Early Access I've checked out has the big disclaimer on it and a link to this which I read in detail and then decided I would never buy an early access game because IMO they're a raw deal for the consumer.

I think early access sucks, I just don't think its fraudulent.

These refer to the Early Access build(s) being buggy, they don't refer to the project not getting released. I talked about this including that page on the other EA thread, quote:

Steam's Early Access FAQ only talks about when the game is released and if you need funding, you can't make the promise that Valve is implying you're making. I have a receipt for Space Engineers, not Space Engineer's Early Access build and any judge in the world will make the distinction when my lawyer points out that Steam themselves are keen to make this distinction on every EA product page.

If you need to sell 10,000 Early Access copies of your game to be able to finish it, how can you promise the first 9,999 copies that you'll fulfil the contract? Even Kickstarter deals with this better and that is crowd funding.

I think Early Access sucks and I don't think it's inherently fraudulent, but it's not crowd funding and shouldn't be treated as such.

- Quboid

4316 Comments. 216 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo