Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4274 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds
73. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 7, 2014, 16:23 Quboid

Early Access is not crowd funding. That's how you're looking at it and that's objectively wrong.

I would agree with much of what you say if you were talking about Indiegogo or Kickstarter but that's not what Early Access is. Steam's Early Access FAQ only talks about when the game is released and if you need funding, you can't make the promise that Valve is implying you're making. I have a receipt for Space Engineers, not Space Engineer's Early Access build and any judge in the world will make the distinction when my lawyer points out that Steam themselves are keen to make this distinction on every EA product page.

If you need to sell 10,000 Early Access copies of your game to be able to finish it, how can you promise the first 9,999 copies that you'll fulfil the contract? Even Kickstarter deals with this better and that is crowd funding.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

71. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 7, 2014, 15:32 Quboid

Jivaro, that's so much rubbish that I don't even know how to explain how flawed it is. My argument is that Early Access is bad for PC gaming and Valve should do something more than grabbing as much cash as they can as fast as they can.

Could you please redo that post and either remove the following or rewrite them so as to make sense and relate to what other people are talking about:

- It's entitled to order a product and then expect that product to be released?
- It's selfish to order a product and then expect that product to be released?
- Or it's selfish and entitled to disagree with you?
- Expecting a product to be released is to expect a fabulous release?
- The customers that lost over Towns, to be clear, should have known better and therefore screw them?
- Can you point out unfinished books or books filled with glaring errors that Amazon ignore in a manner inconsistent to my previous posts, if that was aimed at me?
- Who has demanded that there be no failure? Do you understand the difference between Early Access and Kickstarter, or at least understand that some believe there is a difference?
- What's the logic behind "it's going to happen, why fight it?" Do you take that approach with more literal policing? Murders are going to occur, why bother trying to stop them?
- How many bad apples will it take?

- Quboid

News Comments > New RollerCoaster Tycoon PC Game This Year
9. Re: New RollerCoaster Tycoon PC Game This Year May 7, 2014, 14:14 Quboid

I would guess that "Premium" means it's a free-to-play game retrofitted to be a traditional pay-upfront game. There's been a few mobile ports like this and to be fair, that's a heck of a lot better than releasing a cow clicker like RollerCoaster Tycoon Mobile.

I'm not sure what to call these games, they're arguably not pay-to-win. They're pay-to-not-grind, or pay-to-not-wait.

Oh wait, I know: shit. They're shit games. Nailed it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
23. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 13:40 Quboid

Post by the developers, nearly 1 year ago:

so far Towns has sold more than 200k units and generated a gross revenue of more than 2M usd. and although we are pretty sure we can and will sell a lot more, we still see it as a huge success.

Two hundred thousand gamers, out of luck. A huge success, but they can't afford to finish it. $2,000,000 income but no end product. Yep, nothing wrong with Early Access...

(BTW, Valve apparently get 30%, so they've made many hundreds of thousands of dollars out of nothing.)

Edit: Oops, link was wrong.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2014, 21:34.

- Quboid

68. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 7, 2014, 13:30 Quboid

Had Valve refused to give refunds I would understand all this rhetoric.

Towns was abandoned today. I will be very surprised if anyone gets a dime out of Valve for that. There may be ways in which Early Access could work that I'd like - 48 hour refunds would help quite a lot but whether it would be enough I do not know.

Early Access affects you even if you don't buy it. It's impossible to say, but I strongly suspect we'd have better versions of Towns and Day Z if the developers had the motivation that comes from only getting real money once you've earned it and if we'd never seen Towns at all, we'd still be better off. How many potential PC gamers have been, or will be, turned off from our platform because they didn't know what they were getting into? They're fools perhaps, it's their own fault perhaps, but if there's enough of them then every one of us is affected. I think Early Access is a bubble, an unsustainable cash grab that will burst if it's not deflated carefully.

- Quboid

65. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 7, 2014, 12:28 Quboid

Beamer wrote on May 7, 2014, 12:05:
But again, how do you define "scam" and how do you define "very early alpha?"

It's quite simple: don't. Neither is fit for sale. Neither can be honestly listed as something that will definitely be finished.

Early Access isn't Kickstarter, it's a preorder with immediate access and if you only have an early alpha then you can't guarantee that you're going to finish developing your game - unless you have sufficient alternative financing, in which case you're probably not interested in listing your game under Early Access anyway.

Early Access was supposed to be about beta testing and that's still how it reads on Steam's page. It's not for funding because it's promising a final product and you can't promise a final product if you don't have funding yet.

(If the "irate" comment was aimed at everyone who wants Steam to police more: I doubt I would get irate but regardless, wanting more policing doesn't mean I want a police state and doesn't mean I have to agree with everything said police do.)

- Quboid

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
6. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 10:23 Quboid

What has he been doing for 2 years? If the money's not there to continue then he has little choice in the matter and that's a risk with this sort of development but given the small scale of the project, and how it seemed nearly complete a year or so ago when I tried it, it seems careless to be in this position.

I wonder how much faster development of projects like this or Day Z would be if they had conventional funding and the conventional motivation of needing to finish to get a chance of real money.

Who on Earth will preorder or otherwise crowd-fund Towns 2? Oh who am I kidding, loads of people will.

Slashman wrote on May 7, 2014, 10:23:
Early Access, as far as I know, is not meant to fund development of the game as its primary purpose, but to involve the community in the development process for bug testing and feedback on features so that the final release is in decent shape.

Money can be made by putting a project on Early Access as soon as you have an executable file, so developers do. To bring up another thread, Valve would be required to police things if this was to be stopped but instead, they're selling out gamers - even those who don't buy Early Access games - for a quick buck.

This comment was edited on May 7, 2014, 10:29.

- Quboid

62. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 7, 2014, 09:04 Quboid

NKD wrote on May 6, 2014, 23:27:
People say there is a problem, but the evidence doesn't show it. We have only a couple cases. You say that if one person can do it, so can anyone else, but they aren't. This is a rare situation, and the scenario played out exactly like it should. Products that were not as advertised were found out, pulled, and the victims compensated in a timely manner. And they probably learned a good lesson about smarter purchasing decisions to boot.

Let's talk about reality here and not hypotheticals.

My issue is that Valve are not doing enough. Evidence of Valve not doing very much is not at all reassuring.

What about all the other fraudulent products on sale? Like what, you ask? I don't know. No one knows. No would could know, except for Valve if they wanted to. We hear about it and Valve act when they're discovered but how many don't go viral and therefore don't catch Valve's attention?

Aside from fraud, are games like Day One: Garry's Incident, Guise Of The Wolf, Air Control or Desert Gunner or any of the other games on TotalBiscuit's Steam Sells series fit for sale? These aren't subjectively bad, they're objectively broken or incomplete. It's subjective just how broken a game needs to be to be considered unsellable - all games are a bit broken - but I'm confident that those and I'd guess hundreds more simply aren't fit for purpose.

Laws differ around the world but in the UK, the seller has to sell something that's fit for purpose and that's Valve, not the developers. This gets murky with regards to software and even murkier with regards to Early Access stuff but if the law is updated in the same spirit as the original 1979 Sale of Goods act, Valve will have to start offering proper refunds to UK customers.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. May 6, 2014, 16:12 Quboid

DaHauns wrote on May 6, 2014, 12:09:
Regarding the Oculus Rift Tank: They should partner with Lockheed Martin...you know, for an actually working F-35 HMD.

I hope they have good IFF software if they're using the Oculus Rift DK1 with live ammo.

- Quboid

30. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 16:03 Quboid

I don't like Early Access; while it has good aspects at present I think it's bad for PC gaming. I'm glad Valve are at least willing to give refunds when it looks like a product was intentionally made just to take the money and run. I can understand why Valve don't want to police their store and I'm happy enough with community policing if Valve act quickly and are quick to refund.

Giving refunds on Early Access games is difficult; after all the point is that this money will probably have been spent before the final product is released and few developers will be able to operate with the threat of refund demands hanging over them. Early Access purchases are at least nominally preorders so there is a case against judging them before release, to further complicate things.

One thing Valve could do with Early Access titles on Steam is to hold the money in escrow for a bit. When you buy an early access title, Valve holds on to the money and for the next 48 hours you can try out the EA release and if you're not happy, you can cancel your preorder. This would be a one time thing per title, to encourage developers to release a good initial EA copy, so if you cancel your preorder and then re-preorder you've bought it.

If your project isn't advanced enough to have a sufficiently developed beta, you're not ready to promise a final product and so shouldn't be selling preorders. There are other crowd funding options for games that aren't yet playable.

- Quboid

15. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 11:18 Quboid

ForgedReality wrote on May 6, 2014, 10:45:
Quboid wrote on May 6, 2014, 10:17:
...by it's nature...

"It's" is ALWAYS a contraction for "it is" (or, less common, "it has").

The More You Know...

XD

For shame. For shame.

- Quboid

11. Re: Valve Offering Earth: Year 2066 Refunds May 6, 2014, 10:17 Quboid

nin wrote on May 6, 2014, 08:56:
About time. Actually, past time.

He starts off by saying that deleting negative feedback or quash criticism never works. That's a logical fallacy; by its nature we only hear about it when it fails.

How many negative reviews have never seen the light of day because reviewers or their editors have been leaned on behind the scenes? "I see you've given us 72% for Modern Battlefield Of Honor? That's a shame ... oh by the way we've decided to go with your competitor for that Call Of Warfare exclusive video release, but that's completely unrelated."

Edit: im bad at grammering

This comment was edited on May 6, 2014, 11:17.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Go Sports May 4, 2014, 20:11 Quboid

Cutter wrote on May 4, 2014, 17:40:
Quboid wrote on May 4, 2014, 16:52:
Are football/soccer teams owned by Americans given any attention in U.S. sports coverage? Clubs like Liverpool FC, Manchester United, Aston Villa, Arsenal (in part), Sunderland and AS Roma?

Dunno about the US but British and European games are shown on TV here all the time. There's a massive contingent of Brits and Europeans that watch them regularly. Even the NA league is doing ok these days which it never has before.

Most of my pals are British and watch the games all the time. In fact my pal is from Glasgow and we were watching the Tottenham and Celtic games at his place yesterday.

Where do you live?

I've heard the Major League Soccer is doing well but there's always been attempts to put a positive spin on how football is doing in the US. It appears to be quite well run and might be financially sustainable, which would be progress. In terms of average attendance at the stadiums MLS is 8th in the world, not bad considering it's only the 3rd highest attended sport in the country (largely thanks to hockey and basketball's smaller venues, presumably).

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Go Sports May 4, 2014, 16:52 Quboid

Are football/soccer teams owned by Americans given any attention in U.S. sports coverage? Clubs like Liverpool FC, Manchester United, Aston Villa, Arsenal (in part), Sunderland and AS Roma?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 4, 2014, 16:47 Quboid

nin wrote on May 4, 2014, 13:19:
PayPal Exec Goes on Twitter Spree Insulting Coworkers.

Ha, updated with his firing. Not surprised...

And rightly so, it's unacceptable for anyone representing a company to use grammar like that.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 3, 2014, 22:05 Quboid

Jivaro wrote on May 3, 2014, 21:35:
You guys aren't acknowledging that they get to keep the tech, keep selling the phones, etc etc. They are essentially paying 120million dollars to license Apple's tech. I guarantee you that if in some weird alternate reality Samsung had licensed Apple's tech, it would have cost them a bunch more than 120million over the lifetime of said tech.

File this money under R&D, not legal fees.

They can still sell the phones that use these, but can they use these in future phones? The models mentioned aren't likely to be big sellers any more.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
7. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs May 3, 2014, 17:42 Quboid

Kosumo wrote on May 3, 2014, 17:11:
Creston wrote on May 3, 2014, 12:01:
Yeah I doubt Samsung is that worried about $120M.

Yeah, I bet they are.

Are you saying that at, lets say, $100 profit per phone, they are prepared to just lose 1.2 million phones? As if.

The article implies that Apple will have legal costs of about $100M so presumably Samsung will have the same: if this judgement stands then they'll be down about $220M. I doubt they make $100 a phone, this could correspond to around 4 million phones sold at around $50 profit per handset.

I wish I could consider this small change.

That's quite something; Apple gain $20M while Samsung lose $220M. Two hundred million dollars disappearing. Lawyers, eh?

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. May 2, 2014, 21:21 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on May 2, 2014, 20:20:
Quboid wrote on May 2, 2014, 15:57:
Why is he in so much trouble with the NBA for this and not for denying housing on racial grounds? That's much, much worse.

Why. Two parts all sponsorship was leaving, has left. But even bigger than that and that is plenty big is the players were organizing a walk out. That forced immediate action.

Why didn't the sponsors walk after the earlier case? Why didn't player protest earlier? I understand the NBA's position, they had to act now because the fact of the matter is that their brand was being hurt by the negative publicity - but why wasn't there as big an outcry earlier? Was it just that the reference to going to games brought the NBA into it?

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. May 2, 2014, 15:57 Quboid

It seems ironic that Josh Olin's comments about how Sterling has the right to be an asshole in private wouldn't have got him in trouble if he'd made those comments in private.

Sterling's a prick, obviously, but this seems like a drop in the ocean compared to his past crimes. Why is he in so much trouble with the NBA for this and not for denying housing on racial grounds? That's much, much worse.

- Quboid

News Comments > ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech
18. Re: ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech May 1, 2014, 16:35 Quboid

I don't think the patent thing is necessarily BS. Carmack does acknowledge that ZeniMax owns the code that he wrote, he's not trying to deflect from that. This suggests that he has written new code that has similarities to ZeniMax's old code, similarities that would be in breach of a patent had there been one.

Are Carmack and Oculus VR using code that he wrote while at ZeniMax, or are they using code that's very similar to code that he wrote at ZeniMax? I don't know what the legal position is if it's the later.

- Quboid

4274 Comments. 214 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo