Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3924 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 19, 2014, 16:00 Quboid

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 19, 2014, 15:22:
DayZ is going to be something people want, in about 2 years.

I wonder when/if people are going to stop suporting the Kickstarter/Greenlight/Alpha Release/Not a Real Game yet business model. Not anytime soon, apparently.

That said, I of course contributed to Grim Dawn and Project Eternity(Pillars of Eternity). Glass house -> stones.

I really hope Valve do something about early access. I'm in favour of it, anything that reduces the distance between developers and gamers is welcome, but it's too easy for people to not understand what they're getting in to and to easy for developers to intentionally or unintentionally promise more than they deliver.

I'd like all Early Access games to only be listed on the Early Access page. No front page mentions, not in any Steam sales, not in new releases or the top selling lists. The game can be up on Steam and the developers can advertise this on their own site and try to bring in as many sales as they can to fund development, and good luck to the honest ones. However, the Steam store, in particular the front page, should be for proper products. Products that the developers are prepared to say are done and which are advertised on features that are in the game right now.

An Early Access title dominating the top selling list is not healthy.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides
3. Re: Michael Abrash's VR Talk Slides Jan 19, 2014, 14:11 Quboid

I'd like to see pixels-per-degree used more. It's hard to measure but it makes more sense than pixels-per-inch which makes TVs, monitors, tablets and phones each use their own scale.

The technical demands for this are crazy. Such high pixel density, such high frame rates, such low latency. Oculus Rift's latest prototype improves some of these (non-persistent AMOLED display) but it's such a big ask.

- Quboid

News Comments > Thief System Requirements
40. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 19, 2014, 08:45 Quboid

Jerykk wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 20:32:
As for automated traversal, Thief isn't a platformer. It's a stealth game. If the game had automated stealth, then that would be a press-A-to-win situation. Thankfully, it doesn't have automated stealth.

Isn't making your way around around guards by using platforms one of the main elements of a stealth game? If navigating narrow rooftops to get behind a security station becomes "Press A to jump" followed by "Hold B to scramble across the roof" then the game will have automated stealth.

- Quboid

25. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 21:45 Quboid

1badmf wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 20:54:
personally i don't think this game will be as bad as the lot of you are moaning about. it probably won't be the Thief game you remember, but it can still be a great stealth/actioner. i mean qtes, jumping, all that accounts for like 5% of the game. it's like complaining a car is terrible because its doorhandles are weird. we haven't seen like 90% of the game, so imo any criticism of the game as a whole is completely unwarranted.

If the car salesman came up to you and said "Hello sir, interested in this fine car? You'll be glad to hear that we've removed the razor blades from under the door handles so your fingers won't get cut off" what is your reaction? Is it:

a) "Good, let's take it for a test spin!"
b) "Good, let ... sorry, what? What else is messed up?"

This is maybe just a tiny little bit more extreme than QTEs but it illustrates my concerns. Maybe it is a great car and I'll consider it but alarm bells are ringing.

- Quboid

16. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 19:45 Quboid

Jerykk wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 19:17:
Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2014, 14:57:
Nixxes do have a decent record. I'm afraid this will be a shitty game.

Why? Focus mode is optional and can be completely disabled via difficulty mods. QTEs and the XP system have been removed. Manual jumping has been replaced with an automated traversal system which should still be able to get you where you need to go. Rope arrows only work on certain areas, just like the previous games where they only worked on strategically placed wooden surfaces. Combat is easier than in the previous games, assuming you play on Easy difficulty and don't use any of the difficulty mods that basically make combat impossible.

I seriously don't understand the hate this game receives. I assume much of it stems from reactionary criticism that people take at face value without bothering to do any research themselves. The exact same thing happened with DX:HR which ended up being a great game.

Why were they stupid enough to put QTEs and XP messages in in the first place? If their judgement on what makes a good Thief game was that bad, I expect there will be other mistakes.

I don't know about the automated traversal system but from the name, it sounds like a hold-one-button-to-win mechanism, a glorified QTE. I don't want automated traversal thanks, I want to play the game I'm playing.

I'm not writing the game off but fixing ridiculous design decisions only goes some way to putting me at ease. I didn't think DX:HR would be good yet it was, but I thought Hitman: Absolution would be good but IMHO it so, so wasn't. I hope this surprises me.

- Quboid

2. Re: Thief System Requirements Jan 18, 2014, 14:57 Quboid

Nixxes do have a decent record. I'm afraid this will be a shitty game.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Valve Not Making Retail VR Headsets
4. Re: Valve Not Making Retail VR Headsets Jan 17, 2014, 13:10 Quboid

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 12:27:
I'm dismayed at Valve's backing of the Rift. Because now, it's likely to arrive in Valve Time. It already feels like they're about 6 months late, but now? *sigh*

I think this has pretty much been on Valve Time since the get-go. Have they said anything about when it's due? Vague speculation about a 2015 launch from a journalist is the closest I've seen to an announcement.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details
21. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 16, 2014, 21:09 Quboid

The only things tying me to my desk for gaming are my monitor and my keyboard and mouse.

If the Oculus Rift lives up to the hype and a similarly innovative input device is invented, maybe in 10 years I will game using my Oculus Rift 4 XL and Cybor-aug FFB Finger Implants, all powered by the 128 core Samsung Galaxy SX2 in my pocket. Wirelessly. For games that don't use the Rift, my finger implants will work with my TV, which will be big enough and crisp enough for PC-like gaming from anywhere. The phone would be docked for power and to transmit 8640p data. You can't do that wirelessly, you're living in a fantasy world...

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Oculus Rift Crystal Cove prototype Jan 16, 2014, 20:14 Quboid

That's encouraging. I think a dose of reality has hit me about the Rift, it's not going to be the ultimate experience, but this touches on many of the points that I've wondered about. AMOLED should look great.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 16, 2014, 20:11 Quboid

They're not getting filthy rich, they're becoming job creators. You guys are such libtards. I'm joking, I'm joking!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Next Hitman Game Detailed
14. Re: Next Hitman Game Detailed Jan 16, 2014, 15:25 Quboid

Zyrxil wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 15:10:
In Splinter Cell: Conviction, when you reloaded, every single Light respawned. Fuck that.

Intentionally?

It evidently doesn't bother anyone else nearly as much as it bothers me but I can't believe they did this. I don't think it's laziness, which much longer does it take to save a bit of enemy state info? If they were lazy they would just dump the memory by serialising the data and writing that to disc, in which case it's more work to exclude enemies.

- Quboid

News Comments > Next Hitman Game Detailed
3. Re: Next Hitman Game Detailed Jan 16, 2014, 10:33 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 09:54:
Sounds like they're back on track with this, glad to hear it. Hitman Absolution was a ridiculous diversion from the main franchise that didn't deserve the name.

I hate that game with a passion. I hoped for an update in the way DX:HR updated the Deus Ex games, in fact the pre-release footage I saw looked like DX:HR with a bald Adam Jenson and disguises instead of augs. Simplified and perhaps consolised, but still a good game.

After playing 30 minutes I had to reload, only to find that the guards I had knocked out were back, and one was about 10m from the checkpoint. I waited for a fix but after a month - surely such a game breaking bug would be fixed quickly - I looked it up and apparently THIS IS INTENTIONAL WHAT THE ACTUAL FLIP?!

- Quboid

16. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 20:24 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:55:
Quboid wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:09:
Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:36:
Quboid wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:31:
Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:23:
And yet we're still seeing "PC's are DEAD" articles and their hopeless buffoonery console minions pop up...

Are we? This has long been a cliché but I don't remember the last time I actually saw such a headline. Of course, if Blue's simply stopped linking to them then I'd have no way of knowing.

Fortunately most have learned that it was a load of faddish hogwash -- but every now and again one pops up. Just saw one on blues bout a week ago I think, least the headline and I didn't bother to read it for obvious reasons. Then there's countless posts from a few members here like Beamer who still recite it like prophecy...

Do you honestly think Beamer has been saying that, or anything like that, or are you joking?

Through plenty of fault of my own, and in part due to everything becoming a rabbit hole, lots of people never know what I'm saying. Arguments just become twisted strawmen on every side.

I find myself nearly always agreeing with you and you're one of the regulars here who is least likely to jump to an extreme - and also who understands that not being one extreme doesn't mean you are another; disagreeing with a gamer-biased post doesn't mean you're publisher-biased.

If those who disagree with you - and there are a few - don't even understand what you're saying, it's hard to see what relevance their counter arguments have. It's like a creationist saying "if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" - if you don't have any understanding of what's beng discussed, your argument is just a waste of everyone's time.

(Checking your post history, not entirely sure what Axis was referring to but what you say about sales figures is true AFAIK. Not quite the same as saying PC gaming will die and miles away from saying PC gaming is dead.)

- Quboid

4. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 16:09 Quboid

Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:36:
Quboid wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 15:31:
And yet we're still seeing "PC's are DEAD" articles and their hopeless buffoonery console minions pop up...

Are we? This has long been a cliché but I don't remember the last time I actually saw such a headline. Of course, if Blue's simply stopped linking to them then I'd have no way of knowing.

Fortunately most have learned that it was a load of faddish hogwash -- but every now and again one pops up. Just saw one on blues bout a week ago I think, least the headline and I didn't bother to read it for obvious reasons. Then there's countless posts from a few members here like Beamer who still recite it like prophecy...

Do you honestly think Beamer has been saying that, or anything like that, or are you joking?

- Quboid

2. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 15:31 Quboid

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
79. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 15, 2014, 15:16 Quboid

I couldn't come up with much either, I guess EA haven't said much about it - which perhaps says as much as anything.  

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode Coming
76. Re: SimCity Offline Mode Coming Jan 15, 2014, 11:49 Quboid

Does anyone know SimCity's sales figures compared to expected?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Next Car Game Early Access
2. Re: Next Car Game Early Access Jan 15, 2014, 09:50 Quboid

I've enjoyed this very much in the little time I've given it. I don't think I've had as much fun in a racing game since the original Track Mania.

Spectral, that video is marked private.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
12. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 15, 2014, 09:23 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 09:03:
InBlack wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 03:35:
Why did they ban guns on planes anyway?? Guns on planes and 911 would have never happened!

My internet sarcasm detector must be broken because I almost read this as serious.

Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.

It took me a minute too, there are/were those who would mean this.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Jan 13, 2014, 20:18 Quboid

So the Jane's franchise was good while EA controlled it?

Times change...

- Quboid

3924 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo