Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4395 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jun 17, 2014, 21:52 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 21:06:
Sorry, Brits. John is our now.

Fair enough IMHO. He was funny the few times he got on British TV but we really didn't appreciate what we had. Look at the nerdy little guy, he's blossomed so well across the pond.

You go, Oliver. You keep wanting some more gruel.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Into the Black Jun 16, 2014, 19:57 Quboid

OK, between the fist goal (00:29) and the second goal (about 81:00), that was turgid stuff. A dramatic ending and the USMNT deserved the win. The reaction of John Brooks after scoring was quite something, he was just utterly overwhelmed.

Football is like sex, even when it's bad it's better than pretty much anything else (and because I rarely score ha ha self-burn!). I do understand why people might see it as 2 interesting minutes out of 90 but for me, it's all 90.

- Quboid

News Comments > Free DLC with Tropico 5 Disc in NA
3. Re: Free DLC with Tropico 5 Disc in NA Jun 16, 2014, 18:36 Quboid

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 18:21:
Doesn't the digital version cost them less since there's no physical shipping or distribution? So the expensive way gets rewarded? I am confused.

I presume it's just a gift to try to grab a few more sales. This stuff was included for preorders too. It seems rather badly conceived, I can only assume they didn't realise this is an insult to digital purchasers. I expect they get more money from most of us, although I bought Tropico 5 for 16 from a Portuguese retailer so they didn't get much. It's still a legal purchase and being a savvy customer shouldn't be held against me.

I'm pretty sure I already have most of these files on my system. There are mods around that unlock some of the future DLC. That's shitty, putting files on my system and demanding money for me to access them.

- Quboid

News Comments > SCS Software Dev vs Valve
13. Re: SCS Software Dev vs Valve Jun 16, 2014, 18:13 Quboid

hello newman wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 17:47:
I wonder if Blue would ban an account that pulled that on bluesnews.com ...

Hmm, good question.

A duck wrote on Jun 16, 2014, 17:47
uack quack![/quote:

I broke the board! Muahahahaha!

- Quboid

1. Re: Into the Black Jun 16, 2014, 18:10 Quboid

I sat down to watch USA vs Ghana after an evening walk; I got in about 3 minutes after kick-off. Watched for about 5 minutes before noticing there'd been a goal!

Any US Bluesnewsers watching the soccer?

Edit:
If you don't watch much football/soccer, be warned. An early goal is no guarantee of a good, attacking game. Some of the dullest games I've seen (and yes, football can serve up some poor stuff) have been when one team scores early and "parks the bus" - defends so much it's as if they've parked the coach they came to the stadium in in front of their goal.

And now Altidore is injured and if his hamstring has gone, he won't play again in this World Cup. Big blow for the USA. (Actually he's always been poor when I've seen him play in the English Premier League but I understand he does well for the USMNT.)

This comment was edited on Jun 16, 2014, 18:25.

- Quboid

News Comments > Free DLC with Tropico 5 Disc in NA
1. Re: Free DLC with Tropico 5 Disc in NA Jun 16, 2014, 18:07 Quboid

I'm sorry, my digital purchase was obviously inferior and not only do I deserve this lesser treatment as a result, I should be and I am very deeply ashamed.

Sorry Kalypso Media. I'll try to buy your products better in the future.

- Quboid

News Comments > SCS Software Dev vs Valve
1. Re: SCS Software Dev vs Valve Jun 16, 2014, 12:09 Quboid

Valve, reading from the "we're too big to care" play-book. Same book that Google, Microsoft, governments and other behemoths get their plays from.

Problem? Ignore it. Unignorable problem? Begrudgingly deal with it, but punish whoever made it unignorable so others aren't encouraged to make us do stuff.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jun 15, 2014, 21:46 Quboid

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is coming up on sale on GOG. It's $6 normally, presently discounted to $3 and it will probably be about $1.50 when it's on the full sale. I'd guess it will go on in about 30 minutes, soon after 10pm BNT (Bluesnews Time).  

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jun 15, 2014, 12:46 Quboid

In a busy city there's probably a profitable niche in being a place to unplug and disconnect, or for those who get irrationally angry at the sight of others using technology. That would need to be a ban on all screens and, somehow, ringtones.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2014, 08:32 Quboid

I don't really understand why people are so quick to accuse referees/umpires/etc of being corrupt. It seems far, far more likely to me that they simply get things wrong. Particularly with football/soccer as the authorities are really loathe to help the referees - this year is the first World Cup with goal line technology FFS!

I don't know about the Stanley Cup but the World Cup: the penalty for Brazil was just wrong and Mexico had 2 goals incorrectly disallowed. That's the only wrong decisions I've seen. There's been a few borderline ones too (bad challenges, Neymar's elbow, fouls goalkeepers) but these are all very much in the "seen them given, seen them not given" category. Pressure from the crowd can led to the home team getting a bit more but that's subconscious.

Frankly, I don't think referees to be good enough to be corrupt.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 13, 2014, 21:20 Quboid

Task wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 20:52:
lulz, although I wonder if people realize there are glasses with camera's on them that are extremely small and unnoticeable for all your spying needs...

The video is region locked so I can't view it - does it address the idea that people will use them for spying? That seems like a really odd concern, Google Glass seems like it would be terrible for covert recording.

- Quboid

News Comments > GOG.com Summer Sale
4. Re: GOG.com Summer Sale Jun 13, 2014, 19:48 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 19:46:
Just grabbed Children of the Nile for two-fiddy because I've always meant to grab it and some point and never have. I understand it's quite good.

A quite well received city builder, IIRC. How good is it?

Edit: Ah yes, Tilted Mill. They produced a number of good city builders back in the day.

- Quboid

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2014, 19:14 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 15:32:
Yesterday, the Al-queda-backed Sunni rebel group ISIS overran Mosul and Tikrit. The Shia-dominated Iraqi government made a plea to Iran who sent over the Quds forces (their elite units, like our Marine Corp) to help fight them. Currently Obama is mulling whether or not to provide air support for the Quds. Yes, we're contemplating providing air support for our arch enemy in the region.

Question for you alls: Is there a game out there that captures this kind of insane strategic choice that this political situation has produced?

Crusader Kings 2. It can be delightfully devilish. I can't think of a better political simulator.

Archer's really gone off the rails, I thought ISIS going into the drug business in season 5 was odd but by the sounds of it season 6 is totally jumping the shark.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 13, 2014, 19:01 Quboid

Brataccas wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 18:42:
Quboid wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 18:19:
I'm no currency expert, but aren't there established ways to convert from one currency (such as Bitcoin) to another (such as US Dollars)? Is auctioning them likely to bring in more money?

I can see three problems:
1. Not enough liquidity on any particular exchange to handle that volume
2. Price would crash. 30k bit coins is quite a large trade.
3. I don't think the U.S. government wants to validate the bitcoin model by using it directly.

I'll take #3 please. Treating it as a real currency probably wouldn't be wise politically.

They could sell it off slowly over a range of exchanges. $17.5M isn't that much money - a bit more than is in my savings account, sadly, but it shouldn't destabilise a currency. Bitcoin has lost a fair bit recently (about $30, down to $600 each), is that because of this announcement?

- Quboid

News Comments > GOG.com Summer Sale
2. Re: GOG.com Summer Sale Jun 13, 2014, 18:56 Quboid

Selfish pricks. I have STUFF TO DO DAMMIT!

There's some good stuff there, like the original Rainbow Six.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 13, 2014, 18:19 Quboid

I'm no currency expert, but aren't there established ways to convert from one currency (such as Bitcoin) to another (such as US Dollars)? Is auctioning them likely to bring in more money?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2014, 17:57 Quboid

I don't understand this wireless charging stuff. Needing to put your phone on a pad is much worse than plugging in a micro USB cable and being able to hold your phone. I'm all for wireless charging but I don't see the point of this at all.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Oculus VR Era Projections
29. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 21:38 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:18:
Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 00:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:15:
Most people don't play PC games.

Yeah, those 65 million people on Steam don't mean a thing.

You took it out of context totally.

Most people don't play PC games - but enough do to make it viable. Most people won't strap a TV to their face* - which seemingly means it can't be viable.

* AFAIK there's no real disagreement here and the "Anyone who says different" is largely a figment of Cutter's imagination.

- Quboid

News Comments > VR Game The Assembly Announced
13. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 19:26 Quboid

Earlyworm wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:00:
Quboid wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 17:08:

I already hate horror games in my DK1. That shit's just not enjoyable.

I couldn't agree more.. I am really not excited about all those horror games after I tried a few on my DK1 (e.g. Affected)
They were simply too much for me - it was too real!

Eurotruck simulator was however fantastic.. except for the low resolution of DK1.

Resolution aside, that's where it excels. Any cockpit based game is ideal as your body is in sync with your "body".

Playing War Thunder, a mediocre online flight sim, it's just a joy to be able to look around. It felt more natural immediately than TrackIR ever did and the innate ability to just know where straight ahead is (from the angle of your neck) makes such a difference, and is such an advantage. I honest don't know if non-VR flight sims can ever really appeal any more.

I highly recommend Solar System Explorer if you have a Rift. It's a wonderful demonstration of how sims can embrace VR.

- Quboid

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 17:55 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:33:
Go Croatia!!! (Ok now you know where Im from... )

Final score: Brazil 3-1 Croatia. Tough break. Brazil were the better team and Oscar was superb but you got screwed by the ref for the penalty. There was a few soft decisions but that was just plain wrong IMHO.

I thought that the Croatian keeper was supposed to be good - he's been poor for all 3 Brazil goals. You've got a tasty midfield.

- Quboid

4395 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo