Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4397 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
62. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2014, 07:24 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 23:40:
Quboid wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 19:23:
I must watch over a hundred hours a year, and I only missed today's earlier matches because I was at football training.

Good, you must know what people are talking about then. In the world cup alone I've seen so many incidents I don't know how anyone isn't embarrassed for the sport.

Just remember that most of the time, the reason a player looks hurt is because he is hurt and the reason he may get up and run around is precisely because he's manning up. Most of the time.

I don't agree with those conclusions at all and I think you're confusing a limp with dives and flopping, often at very questionable contact. It needs to be discouraged or made moot through rule changes or harsh penalties. I also don't think it will encourage players to hide genuine injuries or something but since they're already 'manning up' according to you then it should have no real negative impact.

Just as a ball park figure, when a player needs medical staff on the pitch, how often do you think he's faking it? It sounds like you think it's > 50% of the time! My guess would be < 5%; for most players 0% of the time.

I don't think your rule changes would work. How do you penalise someone when no one else knows if they've done anything wrong?

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 21:48 Quboid

Creston wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 21:43:
Quboid wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 19:23:
but I can't think of another sport that exposes players to this kind of danger so frequently (which certainly is not to say it's the toughest or most dangerous sport).

I give up. Whatever. You're right, every single time a player gets hit in football, it's a massive injury, and these TOUGH-ASS WARRIORS just get up and shrug it off like it's nothing!

You're defending FLOPPING.

That's not what I said. That's what I went out of my way to *not* say. Repeatedly. Even the select bit you quote alludes to this, you used the exact word I said it's not.

I'm defending the large majority who don't flop.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Settlers - Kingdoms of Anteria Announced
15. Re: The Settlers - Kingdoms of Anteria Announced Jun 23, 2014, 20:08 Quboid

Did they make a free to play Settlers game? My first guess was that it would be free-to-play / pay-to-not-delay game but I think maybe they've tried that already.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor
7. Re: Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor Jun 23, 2014, 20:06 Quboid

Who's going to build their game with an engine which may lose its support? Even if this is false, these rumours are bad news for them.  

- Quboid

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 19:23 Quboid

I must watch over a hundred hours a year, and I only missed today's earlier matches because I was at football training.

Remember, these are players sprinting faster than most of us have ever run with the sole protection of a bit of plastic covering their shins. Getting the studs of someone who's running that fast raked across your calf muscle hurts. Having someone attempt to kick the ball but instead kick your ankle hurts. Having someone nearly twice your weight (Neymar is just 10 stone!) run into you will send you flying. I've no doubt there are examples, but I can't think of another sport that exposes players to this kind of danger so frequently (which certainly is not to say it's the toughest or most dangerous sport).

Why do players get up and run around? Because once they get their wits back, they play on despite the pain. I've heard players criticised for limping after a challenge and then suddenly sprint (which I appreciate isn't quite what you're saying Redmask) and I wonder if these people have ever played sport. When you're hurt, you may limp but when there's an opportunity to do some damage you either consciously or via adrenaline push past it, even though you may be worse off after it.

Don't get me wrong, fakery happens. Some players do it, some teams do it so much that I suspect the coach has had a word in their ears. There's too much to gain, from a risk:reward point of view it makes sense. Get a freekick or a penalty, get an opponent booked or sent off and the risk is a small chance of a booking. Just remember that most of the time, the reason a player looks hurt is because he is hurt and the reason he may get up and run around is precisely because he's manning up. Most of the time.

What is FIFA's easy fix? Referees can't just ignore injured players; it's an extremely extreme example but Fabrice Muamba would have died. In possibly the first recorded case of me agreeing with Sepp Blatter, giving managers 2 video replay challenges is the best idea I know of but this won't solve the problem.

- Quboid

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 15:20 Quboid

I'd like a real-time clock to be used, so when the ball is dead the clock stops. The stoppage time isn't supposed to be a mystery but in practice it's pretty vague (I'm not sure if that was a joke at FIFA's expense or a genuine comment, Blue).

I wonder how many of the people who think that a football/soccer match consists of players pretending to be injured have ever watched a full match. Or 30 seconds of a match. It happens, which means it happens too often, but most of the detractors sound like they've had football explained to them by Rick Perry.

- Quboid

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2014, 19:47 Quboid

Happy Birthday, Quake! Let's go DRINKING YAY!  

- Quboid

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
25. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 17:45 Quboid

Ryse is probably the reason for this. That game looked like everything wrong with big games - graphics over gameplay, QTEs, cinematic nonsense; this still is expensive even if development goes smoothly. It's a shame but they're a long way from being the guys who made Crysis, Far Cry and going way back; X-Isle. I loved that tech demo.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins
1. Re: Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins Jun 22, 2014, 13:17 Quboid

Now I have to buy it out of principle. Yar matey, it be a fine scheme they be plottin'.

I'll add it to my wishlist and buy it on Talk Like A Pirate Day.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
84. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 11:49 Quboid

Blue wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 09:49:
Redmask wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 08:51:
Iurand wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 04:43:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:31:
Purposefully cripple product = unequal treatment. Or, as their own developers put it "is PC only, who cares."

Was that confirmed?

Yes it was commented in the games source files, you can see it yourself as just as easily.

AAA publishers view the PC as an unimportant platform outside of DLC and microtransactional revenue. That's why all of the innovation on PC is happening outside of that space.

That comment is for PC graphics code amid a bunch of console code. Doesn't that seem more like a comment meant to denote what platforms the code was for rather than a buried public statement of platform prejudice? That DsoG link even says the same thing.

The way the #ifdef statements are structured suggests that upperColor isn't relevant when READ_3D_TEXTURES isn't active, so it's just filling in a value so later code can safely assume that upperColor has a legitimate value set. "This is PC only, who cares" could mean that READ_3D_TEXTURES only applies to consoles. This is just going by the code snippet, I'd need more source code (and motivation) to know one way or the other.

- Quboid

68. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 22:12 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 21:27:
another person mentioning that customers have "rights" other than just not-buying (but not saying what those rights are)

Who me? I didn't think the existence of consumer protection laws needed backed up. The Sale Of Goods Act 1979, for example. Whether or not that applies, or what laws do apply, is a question for someone with more law degrees than I have.

Edit: In response to your post 3 minutes before this one - bravo! The thing that really amazes me about this is when the hell have you ever heard of anyone, particularly Ubisoft, have a problem with their PC port being too good.

- Quboid

58. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 19:19 Quboid

Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 19:07:
They claimed that activating it would cause issues. But as many have shown, that was a total BS claim. It's not cherry picking lines when the reality shows its BS.

It has not been shown to be reliable - "many have shown" isn't necessarily good enough for these features to be in a retail release. As much as we criticise them, the Q&A testing done by Ubisoft will be much more thorough. The port was clearly rushed and by the sounds of it, it would be more playable if they'd switched off some more (but exactly what might be the trouble).

Is it really hard to believe that they did a bad job of porting it? Is it easier to believe that they made such a great port that the suits above ordered them to pull it back? I wish PC ports being too good was a problem!

- Quboid

52. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 17:37 Quboid

I haven't seen any reason to believe that it was purposefully crippled. Rushed, yes but for the reasons I gave earlier in this thread, not intentionally damaged.  

- Quboid

40. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 16:55 Quboid

ASeven wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 16:40:
Are you subtly implying that anyone who doesn't buy a game doesn't have an opinion about it and about its consequences it might do to the market?

I don't think he knows it, but he's implying that the right to not buy a game is the only consumer right we've ever had (if that's what we're left with after giving up 0 rights). This is not true.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Jun 21, 2014, 12:11 Quboid

I've found he's worn a bit thin, he rambled on too much at times. I pretty much gave up on him when he went on a sexist rant about firefighters which proved the point he was arguing against. If he'd meant it as satire then it was genius but I really don't think he did.  

- Quboid

12. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:59 Quboid

Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 11:52:
Overon wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 10:09:
I have no goodwill for Ubisoft. They have fucked over the pc master race too many times. Latest example is gimping Watchdogs.
Then why is the PC Master Race pirating their products in the first place? If you guys don't see value in what they're producing, then why spend time on them?

You realise not all PC gamers pirate games? It appears not, which presumably means you do.

- Quboid

7. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 11:39 Quboid

*slow clap*

At least they've finally figured out that rewarding customers is a better route than attempting to punish pirates.

In terms of services being always on-DRM; that depends on how they implement it. The gaming community will be quick to call bullshit (and some will be quick to boycott, although I doubt that hits their bottom line much) if they impose required connections that aren't essential to the game. It doesn't really matter what they say, their actions have and will determine their reputation.

I don't think Watch Dogs was gimped, as in the graphics were turned down to make consoles look good. I've heard plenty to suggest that the PC port is well below the standard of Far Cry 3 and it makes sense that some things that didn't work right got cut rather than fixed when a deadline - already after a slightly embarrassing 6 month delay - is approaching. I know a modder enabled this quickly but "getting it to run" and "getting it to run properly on (theoretically) all systems (theoretically) all the time" are very different things.

They probably implemented this stuff, used it for E3 bullshots and then realised they couldn't get it to work reliably in time. Again, going by what I've heard, the game isn't short of unpolished PC features with stuttering performance issues.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Jun 20, 2014, 22:12 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 18:18:
Another day and nothing really good. Well Stat of Decay is for $5 if you don't own it already. I really wish they'd do the flash sales every 4 hours instead. Or even 2 like GOG and just keep them rotating throughout the sale.

It's been disappointing. I think I own nearly all the games that pop up on these sales that I've a whole lot of interest in and 33% or 40% off isn't tempting any impulse buys. I picked up Driver: San Francisco so it's not been a total washout and there's time.

Take 80% off Watch Dogs and I'll bite

- Quboid

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2014, 11:43 Quboid

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:35:
Quboid wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:33:
Does this Game of Thrones link have any season 4 content?

No, it's a gag joke more than anything...

Ta. Turns out, I'm Hodor.

- Quboid

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2014, 11:33 Quboid

Does this Game of Thrones link have any season 4 content?  

- Quboid

4397 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo