Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4386 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Valiant Hearts: the Great War
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Valiant Hearts: the Great War Jun 26, 2014, 17:46 Quboid

A human portrayal of your enemy does not mean to sympathise with them. To see them just as monsters is dangerous because it implies that you don't think the people you know (I assume you consider your fellow countrymen to be human) could ever do the same - and that's how this sort of thing can happen again.

While I think it's important to remember that they're people, a film can be just a film. Saving Private Ryan was awesome. If the captured German had shown mercy, that would (to me) feel preachy, like Spielberg was laying on the "see how we can all get along if we try" message.

What is known about what the German people, civvies and soldiers, knew about the death camps? If I'd been a German soldier and I'd heard about them, I'd probably have thought it was Allied propaganda - at first.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 16:27 Quboid

Prez wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 16:01:
People still debate whether soccer players melodramatically flop around like bad-acting retards? It is so obvious that they do, they make the game utterly unwatchable for me.

Several people are arguing that it does happen in the mistaken belief that I'm arguing that it doesn't. I do think it happens less than most people seem to, including those who love the sport, but I've tried numerous times to make it clear that I think it happens too often.

- Quboid

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 15:43 Quboid

Creston, you've twice flounced off like your shrill little girl because you don't like me attempting to point out your error (and no, not intimidating, frustrated). If you read my comments and tried to comprehend them, even the bit you quoted, you might actually argue against my point. The only times you've got close to understanding me is when you've actually tried to be sarcastic.

Football consists of quick, sharp impact injuries. This results in a quick sharp pain which quickly subsides. Have you ever stubbed your toe? Ever bumped your shin against a coffee table? Closed a door on your hand? What happens? You shout, you swear, you limp a bit and then your wits return and you get on with your life. I don't know why this is complicated and I don't know why you insist on thinking that I'm calling football an especially dangerous sport played by warriors. I have repeatedly gone out of my way to say the opposite, and not just in that thread; likewise for saying that diving and associated fakery happens too much.

- Quboid

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 15:10 Quboid

descender wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 11:56:
http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-world-rankings-of-flopping-1403660175

Where'd that guy go that was defending flopping?

I presume you mean me, although I didn't defend flopping. I believe that it is greatly exaggerated but I don't think it's fine or that it doesn't exist. Speaking of ironic exaggeration, that article talks about priests and their last rites and nonsense like that and proceeds to make complete guesses about how players feel.

Creston, you still haven't read my comment that you keep referring to. One of the ones where I go out of my way to clarify that it's **not** the most dangerous sport. You've some nerve whining about me calling you out on this when you STILL haven't figured it out.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2014, 15:26.

- Quboid

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
38. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 14:58 Quboid

Numinar wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:37:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:17:
InBlack wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:14:
Its kind of sad to see that in the park though. Whats the point of going outside to play if they are basically still playing minecraft on their ipads or whatever?? Sigh...50 years from now kids wont even know what a tree looks like in real life, they will probably recognise one in a picture on their tablet of choice...
agreed
Some kids spend way too much time staring at the screens.

Depends what it's replacing. If it's replacing playing alone in your dank bedroom writing hateful crap into global chat then doing it socially (trash talk and all) is probably a good thing, much like LANS and couch gaming are healthier and more fun than playing alone over the internet drunk.

Moderate dose of vitamin D is also healthy, any way you get it. Depending on where this park is the air may be better or worse than what it is inside.

That was my take on it, this would probably be a good thing. Better to play computer games together in fresh air and sunshine if that was what they were doing, which it's not. Playing with Lego (not "Legos"!) is probably better for all the real-world physics that it demonstrates but it beats playing alone in a dark room - not that that harmed meeeeee wibble wibble wibble

- Quboid

News Comments > Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
24. Re: Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Jun 25, 2014, 13:54 Quboid

Which of you guys looks like Angelina Jolie?

I couldn't get into Stalker but it was interesting and perhaps a reboot will lead to a better implementation of the ideas. I don't like good/bad morality systems unless it's part of the plot (e.g. Star Wars) - they just force you into one path early on so you get the full effect of whichever route you take and it feels artificial. Implement proper, natural consequences where NPCs react according to their own needs/beliefs/empathy/knowledge, rather than popping up "+5 Good".

They're being way too optimistic with the funding goal, that puts me off. Throwing in $25 seems like a waste if they get $70K but get nowhere near delivering. I'd be more tempted if their goal was $1M+. I don't see any mention on their page of other funding or what they have up their sleeve in that regard.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2014, 19:11.

- Quboid

News Comments > Metro Redux in August
4. Re: Metro Redux in August Jun 24, 2014, 21:38 Quboid

Task wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 21:25:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 20:19:
And what of those of us who already own the originals? Guess we get fucked.

I thought they were offering a discount for owners of the originals? Maybe not and I imagined it, don't know.

There's a 50% discount if you own the original for either, or (presumably only if you own both) 50% off the bundle containing both new versions. The bundle isn't actually any cheaper than buying the two new versions separately.

- Quboid

74. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2014, 18:09 Quboid

No, Creston, that's bullshit. You've misrepresented every point I made.

- Because you weren't actually saying that Soccer is terrifyingly dangerous (I've no doubt there are examples, but I can't think of another sport that exposes players to this kind of danger so frequently)
No, no I wasn't. I very deliberately wasn't. I made a point of saying "this KIND of danger". Not MORE danger than other sports.

- or that they're basically tough as nails warriors who get up despite the pain (Why do players get up and run around? Because once they get their wits back, they play on despite the pain.)
They get up despite pain, yes. So? That doesn't mean I'm claiming they're as tough as nails.

- and just grit it out, even though all of them may risk injuring themselves more despite it (When you're hurt, you may limp but when there's an opportunity to do some damage you either consciously or via adrenaline push past it, even though you may be worse off after it.)
Again, so? Are you saying that doing vigorous exercise while carrying an injury is fine?

- or that flopping is really just a rare occurrence (Just remember that most of the time, the reason a player looks hurt is because he is hurt and the reason he may get up and run around is precisely because he's manning up. Most of the time. )
I stand by my words entirely.

- Quboid

69. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2014, 14:33 Quboid

Orogogus wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 13:41:
Creston wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 13:34:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 02:43:
Creston wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 21:43:
Quboid wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 19:23:
but I can't think of another sport that exposes players to this kind of danger so frequently (which certainly is not to say it's the toughest or most dangerous sport).

I give up. Whatever. You're right, every single time a player gets hit in football, it's a massive injury, and these TOUGH-ASS WARRIORS just get up and shrug it off like it's nothing!

You're defending FLOPPING.

Yeah, sorry, American football is a much more violent, dangerous, and injury prone sport than soccer. The contact is built into the sport, unlike soccer. So much so that it has caused an epidemic of brain injuries, in addition to all the other injuries the players suffer. Players report almost never playing a league game pain free. One thing you can say about American football players is that they're tough as nails, and wouldn't be caught dead faking an injury.

We were talking about the other football, jd.
You know, the one where there's FLOPPING. I've yet to see someone flop in American Football.

I think he gets that, and was responding to Quboid's "I can't think of another sport..."

I hope not, because that would mean he's just as incapable of reading as Creston is.

Edit: OK, he was. What part of "not to say it's the toughest or most dangerous sport" makes it sound like I'm saying football/soccer is the toughest or most dangerous sport? When I wrote it, I thought I was saying the exact opposite.

"I just don't think they're comparable"

Neither do I. THAT WAS THE POINT. Other sports have injuries and so on and a great many sports have many more much worse injuries. This is why I went out of my way to be clear on this and stated "this kind of danger"

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2014, 14:40.

- Quboid

62. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2014, 07:24 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 23:40:
I must watch over a hundred hours a year, and I only missed today's earlier matches because I was at football training.

Good, you must know what people are talking about then. In the world cup alone I've seen so many incidents I don't know how anyone isn't embarrassed for the sport.

Just remember that most of the time, the reason a player looks hurt is because he is hurt and the reason he may get up and run around is precisely because he's manning up. Most of the time.

I don't agree with those conclusions at all and I think you're confusing a limp with dives and flopping, often at very questionable contact. It needs to be discouraged or made moot through rule changes or harsh penalties. I also don't think it will encourage players to hide genuine injuries or something but since they're already 'manning up' according to you then it should have no real negative impact.

Just as a ball park figure, when a player needs medical staff on the pitch, how often do you think he's faking it? It sounds like you think it's > 50% of the time! My guess would be < 5%; for most players 0% of the time.

I don't think your rule changes would work. How do you penalise someone when no one else knows if they've done anything wrong?

- Quboid

51. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 21:48 Quboid

Creston wrote on Jun 23, 2014, 21:43:
but I can't think of another sport that exposes players to this kind of danger so frequently (which certainly is not to say it's the toughest or most dangerous sport).

I give up. Whatever. You're right, every single time a player gets hit in football, it's a massive injury, and these TOUGH-ASS WARRIORS just get up and shrug it off like it's nothing!

You're defending FLOPPING.

That's not what I said. That's what I went out of my way to *not* say. Repeatedly. Even the select bit you quote alludes to this, you used the exact word I said it's not.

I'm defending the large majority who don't flop.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Settlers - Kingdoms of Anteria Announced
15. Re: The Settlers - Kingdoms of Anteria Announced Jun 23, 2014, 20:08 Quboid

Did they make a free to play Settlers game? My first guess was that it would be free-to-play / pay-to-not-delay game but I think maybe they've tried that already.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor
7. Re: Crytek Denies Bankruptcy Rumor Jun 23, 2014, 20:06 Quboid

Who's going to build their game with an engine which may lose its support? Even if this is false, these rumours are bad news for them.  

- Quboid

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 19:23 Quboid

I must watch over a hundred hours a year, and I only missed today's earlier matches because I was at football training.

Remember, these are players sprinting faster than most of us have ever run with the sole protection of a bit of plastic covering their shins. Getting the studs of someone who's running that fast raked across your calf muscle hurts. Having someone attempt to kick the ball but instead kick your ankle hurts. Having someone nearly twice your weight (Neymar is just 10 stone!) run into you will send you flying. I've no doubt there are examples, but I can't think of another sport that exposes players to this kind of danger so frequently (which certainly is not to say it's the toughest or most dangerous sport).

Why do players get up and run around? Because once they get their wits back, they play on despite the pain. I've heard players criticised for limping after a challenge and then suddenly sprint (which I appreciate isn't quite what you're saying Redmask) and I wonder if these people have ever played sport. When you're hurt, you may limp but when there's an opportunity to do some damage you either consciously or via adrenaline push past it, even though you may be worse off after it.

Don't get me wrong, fakery happens. Some players do it, some teams do it so much that I suspect the coach has had a word in their ears. There's too much to gain, from a risk:reward point of view it makes sense. Get a freekick or a penalty, get an opponent booked or sent off and the risk is a small chance of a booking. Just remember that most of the time, the reason a player looks hurt is because he is hurt and the reason he may get up and run around is precisely because he's manning up. Most of the time.

What is FIFA's easy fix? Referees can't just ignore injured players; it's an extremely extreme example but Fabrice Muamba would have died. In possibly the first recorded case of me agreeing with Sepp Blatter, giving managers 2 video replay challenges is the best idea I know of but this won't solve the problem.

- Quboid

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2014, 15:20 Quboid

I'd like a real-time clock to be used, so when the ball is dead the clock stops. The stoppage time isn't supposed to be a mystery but in practice it's pretty vague (I'm not sure if that was a joke at FIFA's expense or a genuine comment, Blue).

I wonder how many of the people who think that a football/soccer match consists of players pretending to be injured have ever watched a full match. Or 30 seconds of a match. It happens, which means it happens too often, but most of the detractors sound like they've had football explained to them by Rick Perry.

- Quboid

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2014, 19:47 Quboid

Happy Birthday, Quake! Let's go DRINKING YAY!  

- Quboid

News Comments > GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble
25. Re: GameStar: Crytek in Financial Trouble Jun 22, 2014, 17:45 Quboid

Ryse is probably the reason for this. That game looked like everything wrong with big games - graphics over gameplay, QTEs, cinematic nonsense; this still is expensive even if development goes smoothly. It's a shame but they're a long way from being the guys who made Crysis, Far Cry and going way back; X-Isle. I loved that tech demo.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins
1. Re: Pixel Piracy Dev Suggests Piracy, Wins Jun 22, 2014, 13:17 Quboid

Now I have to buy it out of principle. Yar matey, it be a fine scheme they be plottin'.

I'll add it to my wishlist and buy it on Talk Like A Pirate Day.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
84. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 22, 2014, 11:49 Quboid

Blue wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 09:49:
Redmask wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 08:51:
Iurand wrote on Jun 22, 2014, 04:43:
Kitkoan wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 17:31:
Purposefully cripple product = unequal treatment. Or, as their own developers put it "is PC only, who cares."

Was that confirmed?

Yes it was commented in the games source files, you can see it yourself as just as easily.

AAA publishers view the PC as an unimportant platform outside of DLC and microtransactional revenue. That's why all of the innovation on PC is happening outside of that space.

That comment is for PC graphics code amid a bunch of console code. Doesn't that seem more like a comment meant to denote what platforms the code was for rather than a buried public statement of platform prejudice? That DsoG link even says the same thing.

The way the #ifdef statements are structured suggests that upperColor isn't relevant when READ_3D_TEXTURES isn't active, so it's just filling in a value so later code can safely assume that upperColor has a legitimate value set. "This is PC only, who cares" could mean that READ_3D_TEXTURES only applies to consoles. This is just going by the code snippet, I'd need more source code (and motivation) to know one way or the other.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
68. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 22:12 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 21:27:
another person mentioning that customers have "rights" other than just not-buying (but not saying what those rights are)

Who me? I didn't think the existence of consumer protection laws needed backed up. The Sale Of Goods Act 1979, for example. Whether or not that applies, or what laws do apply, is a question for someone with more law degrees than I have.

Edit: In response to your post 3 minutes before this one - bravo! The thing that really amazes me about this is when the hell have you ever heard of anyone, particularly Ubisoft, have a problem with their PC port being too good.

- Quboid

4386 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo