Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4449 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Angry Birds Aug 5, 2014, 14:56 Quboid

Creston wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 14:06:
At first glance I thought "oh right, here's someone else who invented the iPhone and needs millions of dollars for their stolen intellectual property."

Reading the actual court filing, though... Holy shit. Page 8 and 9 of the filing show pictures of the toy they originally made, along with the back of the packaging that specifically mentions, BY NAME, that she's the one who designed it, and it's being used under license.

I'm guessing Hart and/or Rovio are going to have to cough up a metric shitload of money over this. How much has Rovio made off angry birds? Hundreds of millions of dollars?

By their nature these are only one side of the story ...

... but it really looks like Hartz screwed over her and probably Rovio (who I presume had no reason to think that Hartz didn't own the I.P. in the first place). This isn't just some idiot who thought up a name or a gameplay mechanic and thinks they're entitled to a cut when someone else thinks of the same thing and makes money.

The comparison on page 13 is the most blatant. There's just no way that happened independently even if Hartz didn't have their fingers in both.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Aug 5, 2014, 13:03 Quboid

Guidelines are common in pool/snooker games but they're always optional and very much for newbies - it's like ten pin bowling with bumpers blocking the gutters.

The review says "Shots are telegraphed (on lower difficulties, at least) with the line which both target ball and cue ball will follow after being struck" which implies that they're optional, and that the reviewer didn't spend very long with the game.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
17. Re: Saturday Mobilization Aug 4, 2014, 13:13 Quboid

Politicians aren't going to waste their time watching cops' videos. In the UK, it would be the Independent Police Complaints Commission's job and they'd have people who have a clue check it, probably an ex-cop.  

- Quboid

12. Re: Saturday Mobilization Aug 3, 2014, 09:21 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 08:33:
I really don't want them, I know the Minneapolis PD is going to try them out. Burnsville PD I believe has them, or they tried them out at one time. Here's the thing, I am recorded whenever I drive my car, for all traffic stops, and any interactions near my car.

It never once has helped me even though the evidence is right there and obvious.

How many cameras are you going to have? How good is the audio pickup? They can't see what a human sees and they can't hear what a human can hear.

People always want to record me at traffic stops, and that is fine. I tell them the department I work for, my name, my badge number, that they are also being recorded, and all information I just gave them will be at the bottom of their citation.

It is at an infant stage. Will it make cops act better? No. Will it make the public act better? No.

My questions is - what do you want this to accomplish?

The city or state puts a camera up somewhere and everyone cries about privacy, yet everyone wants to put a camera and mic on a cop and record everything we do.

When someone makes a mistake wearing this - are they going to also go back and play the 10,000,000 good things that person did along with that one mistake or comment?

Thanks Batman!

With regards to privacy: the difference is that if a police officer is present, my privacy is already gone. A camera on a street corner is another eye on me, a camera on a cop isn't. It's the officer's privacy which I don't have an answer for - it doesn't seem right to record everything they do even if a higher level of vigilance is warranted (as in, IMHO the police must be policed most).

I appreciate it would be limited in what it picks up. The sound and actions of someone close and in front of the cop is all I would expect, the person or persons who the officer is talking to.

Will people go back and look at past behaviour? No more or less than they do now, which is to say generally not but of the officer is accused of being a loose cannon then he or she would have 10,000,000 examples to the contrary.

I don't think the game-controller example would be a problem. In fact, I think the video would help as it may show that the cop had virtual zero time and that the other guy was an idiot. Some Internet sleuths would get it wrong but no one of any consequence - thankfully the sort of idiots that do this don't matter and I wouldn't let such numpties derail a good idea. Plenty of people would see the video and think "wow, that guy does get something gun-like out of their pocket. What an utter, utter moron!". Just don't put Reddit in charge of Internal Affairs.

The big question, and what I want this to accomplish is: how does this make people behave? You say no difference but the trials suggest otherwise. An 88% reduction in complaints seems like a big deal, albeit from a small sample, which I suspect is mostly down to potential perpetrators not trying to get out of trouble by getting the cop into it.

- Quboid

6. Re: Saturday Mobilization Aug 2, 2014, 21:02 Quboid

I have heard anecdotally that plenty of cops who have taken part in trials of on-body cameras have been very keen on it. Also (source):
Police officers in Rialto, California, were issued with video cameras. Last month they reported an 88% reduction in complaints filed against officers and a 60% fall in incidents where officers used force.

Are these drops because the cops behave better or because people don't try to lie? I suspect it's heavily the later, as the anecdotal evidence suggests. Cops get plenty of stick and some deserve it but I assume the average cop is just someone making ends meet who doesn't want hassle, doesn't want to get hurt, doesn't want to get fired and ideally would maybe make a bit of a difference - i.e. a human being.

Batman, do you have any experience of this sort of thing? (Cameras on cops, not being a human being.)

- Quboid

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Delayed?
27. Re: Wasteland 2 Delayed? Aug 2, 2014, 10:49 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2014, 09:58:
B) If any of you assholes - that always say this idiotic shit look at my post history - my positive posts far outweigh the negative. I don't bitch. I post legitimate gripes.

Everyone thinks their own gripes are legitimate. A delay isn't the craziest gripe but I've seen you repeatedly angrily *agree* with an article because you jumped to the wrong conclusion from the headline - and it wasn't a clickbait headline, which seem to be the go-to excuse these days. I've seen you disagree that SimCity 2013 getting an offline mode was good for consumers because you assumed that poster meant EA did it out of kindness.

You even pointed out that you keep banging on about 3D TV failing as if we hadn't heard the same relentless negativity on every thread relating to 3D, VR or pretty much anything new. Normally when people emphasis how many times they've had to say something, it's because people didn't hear it each and every time before.

- Quboid

News Comments > WWI Flight Sim: Ilya Muromets Early Access
5. Re: WWI Flight Sim: Ilya Muromets Early Access Aug 1, 2014, 18:56 Quboid

Task wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 11:07:
Should be interesting. That'll make two potentially modern WW1 flight sims of excellence. Rise of Flight and this. This will set it apart from RoF as well since its about the Eastern theatre.

There's also Wings: Over Flanders Field, the standalone update of the Over Flanders Field mod for CFS3. It still needs CFS3 to install but seems modern. It has a dynamic campaign which is always good IMHO. It feels like I'm winning a war, not just going through missions from A to Z.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2014, 12:54 Quboid

You don't need to be a good player but if it is an unedited stream, you need to be an interesting player. If you're the sort to crouch until your finger is sore (oh how I wish Crysis 1 had a toggle-crouch option) then it's not going to be great viewing unless your wit and charm can shine through.

Self-censorship is a concern. Since you mention political talk, some topics won't be great for encouraging community chat and other topics might get one of you into trouble - there's things one of you might say about industry/public figures in private that your lawyer would advise against broadcasting. This is the sort of nonsense that takes a fun exercise and turns it into work.

I don't know if Twitch or any of the alternatives have this functionality but if each player's game audio/video and chat audio were sent to Twitch/Other and then a director choose who to actually broadcast, you could seamlessly switch to whoever is doing the most interesting thing. I'm sure there'd be no shortage of volunteers to direct, but I'm afraid the power would go to my head in no time.

- Quboid

20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 19:51 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 19:36:
Quboid wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 17:57:
garrywong wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 17:52:
SlimRam wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 16:15:
So, they actually hack into her ex husband's Facebook account, and his old myspace account

WTF? How is that even legal?

It's not and there's approximately zero chance that this happened. I presume this wasn't meant literally.

Of course it's legal if you have a warrant.

Then they go to Facebook and demand the data, they don't hack the system.

- Quboid

17. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 17:57 Quboid

garrywong wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 17:52:
SlimRam wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 16:15:
So, they actually hack into her ex husband's Facebook account, and his old myspace account

WTF? How is that even legal?

It's not and there's approximately zero chance that this happened. I presume this wasn't meant literally.

- Quboid

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 16:37 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 16:07:
I love watching the Shack Tactical vids. I'd love to have the time to dedicate to joining a team and executing battles like that, but I just don't. It's so awesome to watch people who know what they're doing execute maneuvers like that.

Is that the ArmA guys? Their videos are exactly the sort of gaming that I wish I could do too. It must be so satisfying to pull off this sort of slick military manoeuvre. One video of theirs, a co-op raid on a village and neighbouring outpost in *heavily* modded ArmA 2, included the guy getting separated and him having to keep so quiet he couldn't speak so he keyed his radio (if I'm using the phrase correctly, he transmitted the button-press-crackle-sound) and commenting on narration that he didn't know if his team mates were dead or they just couldn't answer (or even key in reply) in case the AI overheard them. On VoIP. Dat shit's hardcore.

- Quboid

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 14:05 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 13:50:
(I don't like PewDiePie much, IMHO he crosses over the line between silly and stupid, but he's certainly successful.)

I blame the Jersey Shore generation that thinks the crap on MTV is "Real Life" (see what I did there).

I don't know 1 person that actually knows who the F or what the F pewdiepie is. (or maybe who watches it - cause I would have to have a come to Jesus with them) I watched a few moments of a few videos. I couldn't stand it. (recently found out what and who it was)

And that guy makes money!? WTF!?

That guy makes all the money.

I can enjoy silliness but also a few moments of him and it was pretty clear that this wasn't the "switch off brain" stuff I wanted. I don't think I could have switched my brain back on if I'd watched much more. NerdCubed does it right IMHO, I'm sure plenty of people would view his work in the same light but he comes across as somebody just mucking about and having a laugh. PewDiePie comes across as someone badly pretending to be a toddler.

- Quboid

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 13:51 Quboid

If she gets 10c because I have a Facebook account, does that mean I get to see the pictures? Seems fair to me.

I would have sympathy for someone in her position if she had, by all appearances, used it to frivolously aim for a pay day. I can understand suing the ex-boyfriend but unless that article is missing some crucial details, Facebook was only guilty of not taking orders from random people.

- Quboid

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 13:39 Quboid

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:35:
DrSquick wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:23:
I would definitely watch a four-player Let's Play!

Honestly, let's plays are my TV these days...I get home from work, do house stuff, get an hour or two of game time in, and then watch Let's Plays for dinner/relax before bed. Sometimes it's games I'm interested in, sometimes it's stuff I would never play, just to see what the fuss is about.

I have a coworker who doesn't understand this, and says that if I'm watching a game, why not just go play it. But to me, it's like TV - something to relax to, and watch other people goof around in (and sometimes produce hilarious results) (Rooster Teeth's/Let's Play of GTA are a fucking riot, where they plan/attempt to execute their own heists, in game).

edit: I'm sure part of it also comes down to the personality of the players, and if they're entertaining. But I'd definitely check out if Blue ever did anything like that...

I'm finding this too, to the point where I even watch YouTube stuff on my secondary monitor while gaming sometimes.

For me, these videos are a lot more about the personality than the game and I have no reason to believe that Blue is particularly suited to this. I'd certainly watch a stream on Twitch and chat but I wouldn't assume he can be the next PewDiePie just because he writes a good OotB. (I don't like PewDiePie much, IMHO he crosses over the line between silly and stupid, but he's certainly successful.)

If my kitten is running around letting off steam then highly involved gaming isn't practical as I need to keep an eye and an ear on him unless I want my carpet pee'd on. Civilization V is perfect for this as I can drop (** he literally just started digging at the carpet as I typed drop ... but he changed his mind and ran to his litter tray. Good boy! **) everything and deal with him. I can hear the video and won't miss anything in-game even if I don't have time to hit Escape.

He really tried to illustrate my point there, perfect timing! He doesn't understand that you can't see us, bless him. At least I hope you can't.

- Quboid

30. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 21:33 Quboid

We're not in her hospital room lecturing her. People only talk about these things directly after they happen, if safety isn't discussed now it never will be (not that we're changing the world...).  

- Quboid

28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 20:34 Quboid

NKD wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:59:
It's not about blaming her or whatever, it's about using the situation to teach others. It seems to me this is exactly the kind of situation that reinforces the need to educate people on the buddy system and safety in numbers when attending events.

This could happen to anyone, not just teens, not just girls. EVERYONE needs to take basic safety precautions at these types of events.

It matters. If a little education can prevent more people from being victimized, it absolutely matters.

Well said, NKD.

There's an attitude in regards to sexual assault that because it should never happen, suggesting safety precautions is to blame the victim. The world is a shitty place and we all take some precautions, it's downright dangerous to treat sexual assault differently.

- Quboid

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
15. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 17:23 Quboid

Thanks. Figures, Ryse looked rysible - bet no one has made that joke before - and it sucks for the employees but the game deserved to fail. Design by marketing department, cinematic-ness over gameplay, QTEs, it looked like a send up of AAA development.

I've seen little of Warface so I'm excluding it but otherwise, Crytek have gone backwards in gameplay with every game. Far Cry, Crysis, C2, C3, Ryse - each time, the gameplay has been more limited in order to make the game look better: style over substance. If that's what has brought them down, and that's a massive oversimplification at best, then I'm glad that the market has better taste than Crytek gave them credit for. Take heed, survivors and other developers.

Gaming is too big to disappear like in the 80's but budgets have got out of control and that bubble will burst if it isn't already bursting. With BF4 and CoD:G both having the worst receptions of their respective series', the next few years could be interesting. Or it could be like the movie industry where one flop kills a studio but the volume of big budget releases doesn't seem to slow.

- Quboid

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
8. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 15:05 Quboid

Did the reason for the developers of Crysis, I presume a well selling game, to be in this situation ever be confirmed? Did Ryse fail as hard as it deserved to?

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2014, 17:24.

- Quboid

News Comments > Firefall Launches
21. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 09:26 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 00:01:
Indirectly paying real money for it does nothing to give you an advantage over not doing so, but saving you the time and trouble. That is not pay to win... To have any argument for P2W, it would have to be true that you could ONLY get high-quality gear by paying real money, etc.

I said earlier "IMHO even if the same gear can be bought with in-game currency, the integrity is shot" so it seems that this isn't the game for me. There are imbalances inherent in gaming, PC gaming in particular, but I draw the line at explicit advantages added by the game's developers.

Even if there wasn't a competitive advantage, paying real money to save time and effort is the same business model as Facebook games and has the same major problem: the developer has motivation to make their game worse in order to extort money out of gamers, and there are no developers who I can trust to avoid this. The most trustworthy devs are the Forza ones and that's because they actually admitted going out of their way to make their game worse in order to frustrate gamers into paying more money.

- Quboid

News Comments > Firefall Launches
7. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 23:06 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 22:40:
I'd LOVE to hear any arguments about how being able to buy gear other people have found and put up for sale with real money (via Red beans -> Credits -> gear) makes it "pay to win." That gives you no advantage over people who are actually earning that loot, and you still have to put in the dozens of hours of playtime to progress your frame from 1-40 to be able to use that uber gear... Which honestly does not even give you that huge of an advantage over the crappiest quality junk you can cheaply craft in terms of sheer power, and then still relies on your skill to actually be able to use the thing.

There's your argument. "Not a huge advantage" implies some advantage.

- Quboid

4449 Comments. 223 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo