Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4386 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2014, 16:35 Quboid

Happy Birthday! You don't look a day over 220!  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Wolf Among Us Episode 5 Next Week
1. Re: The Wolf Among Us Episode 5 Next Week Jul 3, 2014, 13:54 Quboid

About time I restarted playing this. I enjoyed it a lot but the length of time between episodes is much too long. Episodic content doesn't work when the gaps are so long that people forget half the plot, their decisions and their relationships with the other characters. I don't even remember how many episodes I'd played. They're not sequels, it's the same story continuing seconds after the previous episode's ending - yet for us it's months later.

I know it's not just me, I don't understand how Telltale couldn't see this problem coming a mile off. I won't buy another unfinished game from them.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jul 3, 2014, 13:44 Quboid

Hitler has only got one ball,
Goering has two but very small,
Himmler, has something similar,
And poor old Goebbels has got none at all

The creation of this classic song, reconstructed with unerring historical accuracy (maybe).

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 3, 2014, 09:37 Quboid

"Proves", "evidence", these are complicated words for VG247.  

- Quboid

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 16:48 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 14:59:
Quboid wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 09:21:

And yet, the USMNT did comfortably better than England (and of course far better than the other British teams, none of whom qualified) and there's no particular reason why this should surprise anyone. Wow, a country with 6 times our population and who are famous for their interest in sport can find 23 people rather good at playing one of the most popular ones?! Well done them!

By that logic, China should always win the world cup. Or at least be in competition. Yet they didn't even qualify.

Also, to quote John Oliver about soccer in America: "Soccer is something you take your ten-year-old to."

I meant that referring to how some UK journalists treat the US like a country which doesn't have enough professional players to pick a team from, I didn't mean to imply that population should strongly correlate with success.

- Quboid

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 13:06 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:12:
Quboid wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 09:21:
And yet, the USMNT did comfortably better than England (and of course far better than the other British teams, none of whom qualified) and there's no particular reason why this should surprise anyone. Wow, a country with 6 times our population and who are famous for their interest in sport can find 23 people rather good at playing one of the most popular ones?! Well done them!
Really, the population card? Who are you, Tony Kornheiser? If/when soccer makes it into the top 4 of US sports, you can expect the US to start doing a lot better. I doubt it will happen in our lifetimes.

Until then, soccer (for the most part) will continue to get leftover athletes from the other sports.

I don't know what you mean. People play an X card when they're desperate for an excuse - I'm not sure what I'm looking for an excuse for, never mind why I would be looking to excuse it. I can only assume it's for why the USMNT did better than the England team, and that you think I find the England team failing hard to be anything other than amusing.

Who's Tony Kornheiser?

Edit: The part you quoted, when stripped of it's context, implies that a bit. In context, it's sarcasm directed at British journalists who think/pretend to think that the USMNT is made up of some plucky little underdogs bravely giving it their all, in the way that the same journalists talk about Andorra or other countries whose players have day jobs.

If I was trying to say that England did OK despite being a tiny country, I wouldn't have mentioned Costa Rica. Which I just did

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2014, 13:11.

- Quboid

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 09:21 Quboid

The English media is in full patronisation mode, talking about how Americans will now understand soccer and appreciate 0-0 and oh didn't they do ever so well considering most of the team hadn't even seen a football pitch a month ago.

It's pathetic journalism really. The USMNT worked hard but rarely did anything with the ball. Tim Howard was outstanding but when the goalkeeper for losing team steals the show, clearly the rest of the team wasn't up to their job. They weren't dreadful by any means - Yedlin may get a 10x wage increase out of it - but they weren't as superb as many media types here would have us believe.

And yet, the USMNT did comfortably better than England (and of course far better than the other British teams, none of whom qualified) and there's no particular reason why this should surprise anyone. It seems that these journalists can't help but treat the US team like part timers from Andorra or suchlike: wow, a country with 6 times our population and who are famous for their interest in sport can find 23 people rather good at playing one of the most popular ones?! Well done them!

I think there's an inferiority complex with some of these journalists, until the USA says "oh wait, soccer *is* fun!" they'll always try to talk up American soccer performances. (OK, yes, I'll defend it when I think it is misrepresented, but I'm quite ready to say "fair enough, each to their own" to anyone of any nationality who simply doesn't like it.)

Edit: Clarified that population comment was about how some UK journalists treat the US like a country that doesn't have 11 professional players, it wasn't meant to imply that bigger population pools should always win.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2014, 16:45.

- Quboid

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 08:47 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 01:55:
US team didn't deserve to be there, I am never in support of a program that allows a team that LOST to continue. They lost already, they didn't deserve to move on.

You mean the Germany match? I thought you were an NFL fan, you don't like league formats?

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 1, 2014, 10:18 Quboid

Alas Ouya, we barely knouya.

I wonder how much future Ouya think they have, perhaps they're hoping to extract $60 from as many people as they can before they fold.

- Quboid

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 16:16 Quboid

Thanks Creston, Orogogus. I'd expect a flipping postal service to look at a globe from time to time!

Coverage [of the World Cup] in the UK is split between the BBC and ITV. It's quite noticeable that BBC (TV for grown-ups) calls you the Netherlands while ITV (TV for morons) calls it Holland, even though the FIFA-applied labels that pop up occasionally say Netherlands. This doesn't apply to football as we have separate teams, but I imagine calling Netherlands "Holland" is like calling the UK "England" - something that will get you some very stern frowns in many places.

I thought Robben did dive, but he was also fouled. The defender stood on his foot and IMHO it would have been enough to trip him, but the way he tensed up mid-air looked like Willam Defoe in Platoon. I don't know if referees are even allowed to do this, but I'd like to have seen a penalty given and Robben get booked for simulation. He apologised after the match for a dive in the first half (not the double-foul), not the one at the end.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2014, 17:52.

- Quboid

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2014, 18:39 Quboid

Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 15:48:
Everybody chant with me now!

Holland! *CLAP CLAP CLAP*

Dramatic end. Did Robben flop?

I'm surprised you say Holland, not Netherlands. Are you from Holland (as in, the 2 northern counties) or is it usual for the Dutch, when speaking in English, to call the Netherlands "Holland"?

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2014, 07:32.

- Quboid

News Comments > Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned
34. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 21:48 Quboid

Companies will name themselves if they're in a PR pit and know it's time to stop digging. Companies will either not name other companies until investigations (which don't tend to be publicised) are complete, or they will quickly deeply regret it. Wasn't there a developer of a survival game recently who accused a publisher of taking his idea to another developer, only for the other project to be shown to have pre-dated his? This is why you STFU until you know.

Here's how I imagine Rebellion imagine this going down. Please note that this is written on the assumption that Rebellion are telling the truth, which I'm not convinced about.

1 - Steam sell several batch of keys to, let's say, AlphaKeys
2 - AlphaKeys legally sells the batches to BetaKeys, CharlieKeys and DeltaKeys
3 - CharlieKeys get hacked, the keys nicked
4 - These keys are sold on, dispersed into the distribution chain that GMG use
5 - Rebellion hears about this, tracks batch to AlphaKeys
6 - Rebellion names AlphaKeys, AlphaKeys loses customers' confidence and business

IANAL but I'd guess Rebellion would face hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation to AlphaKeys. Maybe more.

Or maybe Rebellion are lying. I'm not saying they're telling the truth, I don't know. I'm just saying that, if they are telling the truth, they have to be very careful.

- Quboid

32. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 21:23 Quboid

If there was a theft then Rebellion probably do know where the leak was. The point I'm trying to make is that they aren't going to name anybody publicly because they care much, much more about not getting sued than they do about us.

This isn't about Rebellion being litigious assholes, no company in the world would name who they suspect of the leak regardless of how sure they are.

- Quboid

25. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 20:34 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 20:26:
Quboid wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 20:22:
They are not going to accuse another company of anything until they're damn sure what's going on.

If it was a batch sold on then screw Rebellion. If it was a batch that was stolen, screw the distributer who got offered a batch at a price that was too good to be true.
Well that would take them all of 35 seconds to figure out now wouldn't it? Unless of course you're saying that they don't know who they sold the keys to in the first place. This isn't rocket surgery, when I worked in retail shop over 15 years ago we'd see legit and .CN keys/discs from legit distributors(e.g. ingram micro, supercom, etc) as well, and for amazing prices.

Yes it would, and according to them the keys were stolen. The question is do you believe them or do you believe people like that CJS blog (who I've never heard of before).

Ordinarily I'd lean towards the developer but given that Rebellion are suing over Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, I'm with Longswd. You act like an asshole, I'm going to assume you're an asshole. We need a lot more info to know either way, info that I suspect all companies involved will be keen to keep private.

- Quboid

23. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 20:22 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 20:05:
ViRGE wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 20:00:
Not Rebellion's pool. A retailer's pool. And it depends entirely on how they got in and what they had access to. The AMD hack retrieved the keys out of a bog standard text file for example; AMD's other keys weren't exposed because they didn't have a copy stored like that.
So again, where are the hack reports of this happening? It doesn't take rocket surgery to figure out who the keys would have come from. There's no information on it, no retailer and rebellion isn't saying what retailer either. All they're coming across as saying it "they was stolen!eleventy one!!!111!" Security through obscurity isn't a plan, neither is refusing to divulge a retailer who has piss poor security, and can't keep moderately-secure information secure.

They are not going to accuse another company of anything until they're damn sure what's going on. That's how you get sued, and Rebellion are sure to be quite familiar with that.

If it was a batch sold on then screw Rebellion. If it was a batch that was stolen, screw the distributer who got offered a batch at a price that was too good to be true.

- Quboid

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2014, 12:10 Quboid

I've been getting HTTP error 500 on all pages except the home page over the last few hours. This (assuming it gets posted) is the first time comments pages have worked for me today.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2014, 12:25.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Sniper Elite 3
10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Sniper Elite 3 Jun 27, 2014, 13:13 Quboid

The reviews are very encouraging. I hope some of the AI problems get patched, seeing NPCs endlessly walk into a wall really kills the immersion for me.

I've spent well over my luxury budget this month thanks to a shiny new phone and shinier new monitor but I will consider this the next time I want to blow someone's head off.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Sniper Elite 3
9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Sniper Elite 3 Jun 27, 2014, 12:34 Quboid

Sniper Elite V2 had pretty good mechanics but I found it too linear. I'll check plenty of reviews but "huge, open levels" should be a big help.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 27, 2014, 12:06 Quboid

60FPS support should help adoption of proper frame-rates on consoles. When CoD-bros start asking why JoeBloggs420's videos look nicer than **Trixxie**'s, it might just become a selling point for console action games.

Higher bit-rate would be more important. We've got to the point where I can't truly judge how good a game's graphics are because a 1080p YouTube clip can't do it justice any more. Especially fairly monochrome things like Star Citizen's black space - there's way too many compression artefacts for anyone to definitively say what the game looks like.

- Quboid

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Beta Concludes
9. Re: Battlefield Hardline Beta Concludes Jun 26, 2014, 20:51 Quboid

Is there any destructible stuff in this? I played a few seconds of the demo, bullets and grenades only left visual marks on concrete.  

- Quboid

4386 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo