Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4252 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month
4. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander This Month May 17, 2014, 13:06 Quboid

ItBurn wrote on May 17, 2014, 12:55:

The only thing that's getting really creepy here is you reagle...

At least he's changed it up a bit. Same utter nonsense but kudos on the rephrasing of it; now read your avatar.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs Video
11. Re: Watch Dogs Video May 17, 2014, 11:39 Quboid

If someone I don't know installs an app without my permission, I'm calling the police and getting a new phone. This (totally not faked) "prank" would have rather broken down at the 1 minute mark when I grabbed the phone, yelled at the sales assistant and called the cops.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Gone Gold - Watch Dogs
47. Re: Gone Gold - Watch Dogs May 16, 2014, 22:18 Quboid

That would work, but that's not the way things are done on consoles.

This is highly subjective but basically, I was disappointed by how low spec both new consoles are and I am disappointed that 60 FPS doesn't appear to be becoming a given in next-gen gaming. Better hardware wouldn't automatically mean 60 FPS would or objectively should but that's what I would have liked.

- Quboid

News Comments > Auto Club Revolution VR Evolution Plans
13. Re: Auto Club Revolution VR Evolution Plans May 16, 2014, 18:06 Quboid

If you have to ask then you're definitely right to wait for at least CV1. I suggest you wait until the initial rush is over and people have had a chance to chew over what it offers. If there's any glaring problems, you'll know to wait. If not, if you're feeling rich then you might want to go for it.

Team Fortress 2 with the Rift. This shows the floating UI, which appears to sit about 10cm (4 inches) from your face. This is possibly position zero, exactly on the screen. This also shows how far to the sides and up/down you can see; the timer, health and ammo counters are as far as your eyes can really make out any detail and as they're stationary relative to your view, you can't turn to look at them. The rest is peripheral vision which is essential to immersion but even at 4K, little would be readable.

- Quboid

10. Re: Auto Club Revolution VR Evolution Plans May 16, 2014, 14:59 Quboid

I think racing games would work really well in respect to sickness.

The times when VR makes me feel queasy are when my "body" and "head" are both turning separately while in reality only my head is. For example, turning left with the mouse while turning my head right can result in my view point remaining roughly stationary and this felt wrong especially at first.

The best VR experience is, unsurprisingly, when your "body" is doing what your real body is: sitting on a seat. I've played a bit of WarThunder with the Rift and some aspects of it are amazing. It's also too low resolution for proper gaming but the head tracking is great. I knew it would enable me to look around much more naturally but this works better than I'd hoped and I hadn't considered how my neck becomes an input device. Looking around with a joystick hat, I could never intuitively know exactly where front is and where I'm flying, which made low altitude flying perilous. With the Rift, I just know where front is no matter where I'm looking.

Racing games should work well because of this. Increased situational awareness will help, and there's a bit more depth perception too - I don't know how this compared with 3D monitors.

The Rift makes putting UI elements in their realistic position much more feasible. Glancing down at your speedometer isn't practical if you're using an analogue stick but with VR's tracking and wide view angles, it's very natural. An HUD would be the same. However, at present the resolution isn't good enough (spot the trend) and I can't tell what speed I'm flying at in WarThunder. To put a GPS on the dashboard would require a higher resolution than CV1 (the first consumer Rift) has much chance of having.

Floating elements actually aren't bad and until we have 4K displays, and appropriate graphics cards, they'll do. If they're small and/or have transparent backgrounds, I find my brain accepts them for what they are. Just pretend your character is wearing Google Glass

- Quboid

3. Re: Auto Club Revolution VR Evolution Plans May 16, 2014, 10:37 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on May 16, 2014, 10:25:
Assume you do not own Euro Truck 2 yet :)

Ooops, I meant a racing game, not a driving game. ETS2 needs higher resolution, it's promising but at this point I can't really enjoy it.

- Quboid

1. Re: Auto Club Revolution VR Evolution Plans May 16, 2014, 10:23 Quboid

I'd like to try an Oculus Rift racing game. I haven't looked hard but I haven't found a free one. Assetto Corsa and iRacing are the only ones that come to mind.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2014, 10:32.

- Quboid

45. Re: Gone Gold - Watch Dogs May 16, 2014, 09:16 Quboid

Beamer wrote on May 15, 2014, 22:21:
Quboid wrote on May 15, 2014, 21:49:
Beamer wrote on May 15, 2014, 12:41:
I just don't know what more power can feasibly give us.

Consistently high framerates at 1080p and higher.

They should also do green and hamburger consistently.

These sentences are as useful, because so many things factor into resolution and frame rate that having expectations around them always strikes me as dumb. Your computer can't run everything 1080p/60hz. And, in order for it to, other things would have to be sacrificed.

If the new generation of consoles were as powerful relative to PCs as the previous generation were back in the day, the games coming out now could be higher resolution and/or framerate for the same graphical fidelity. I absolutely agree with you about diminishing returns but this the answer. You don't need to spend more on art to improve the graphics and the experience, the same textures and animation will look better.

My computer can do 1920x1200 at an average of 80 FPS, because I sacrifice other things to reach that target. If I was to do console gaming, this would be a high priority for me so it's disappointing that I'm out of luck.

- Quboid

41. Re: Gone Gold - Watch Dogs May 15, 2014, 21:49 Quboid

Beamer wrote on May 15, 2014, 12:41:
I just don't know what more power can feasibly give us.

Consistently high framerates at 1080p and higher.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Men of War: Assault Squad 2
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Men of War: Assault Squad 2 May 15, 2014, 21:27 Quboid

JaguarUSF wrote on May 15, 2014, 13:58:
Here's my video review.

From what you're saying, it's a much better purchase for people who don't own MoW:AS than those who do. It's pricey for me at this point, and the deluxe edition on steam are possibly the worse bonuses I've seen - they basically amount to telling yourself and everyone else that you bought the deluxe edition.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Men of War: Assault Squad 2
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Men of War: Assault Squad 2 May 15, 2014, 12:34 Quboid

I liked the idea of CoH but could never get into the game for some reason and the underwhelming reaction to CoH2 put me off ever checking it out. Is this the third MoW?  

- Quboid

34. Re: Gone Gold - Watch Dogs May 15, 2014, 10:08 Quboid

I hope you're right Beamer. I'm sure these things will improve but I'm not convinced they will improve much. The hardware is reasonably familiar to developers already as it has much in common with PCs. Performance on the Xbox One might get an upgrade when DirectX 12 is out if they can replicate the performance gains (I'm assuming DX12 will have roughly Mantle-esque performance boosts). Ultimately the hardware isn't very good by today's standards and is slipping ever further back.

Stupid Microsoft and Sony, developing hardware based on exhaustive price/performance analysis and not my whim.

- Quboid

13. Re: Gone Gold - Watch Dogs May 14, 2014, 21:06 Quboid

Beamer wrote on May 14, 2014, 19:45:
Simon Says wrote on May 14, 2014, 19:44:
"A next-gen experience" @ less than 1080p and 30 fps. XD

Yeah... right!

Because resolution and frame rate are the only defining qualities, or even most important defining qualities, of "next generation?"

I think the hardware in the PS4 and Xbox One is really disappointing and it's pathetic that games which are essentially the same experience on a previous generation can't push out 1080p at 60FPS. I'm sure they could if they didn't bump up the graphics but unless there's a vast difference between generation's graphics, which remains to be seen but is unlikely, it's a shame they can't hit what really shouldn't be that ambitious a target.

- Quboid

News Comments > DayZ Source Code Compromised?
3. Re: DayZ Source Code Compromised? May 14, 2014, 19:46 Quboid

Frags4Fun wrote on May 14, 2014, 19:32:
Hey, maybe the thieves can actually make some progress on the game.

Beat me to it

- Quboid

News Comments > Democracy 3: Extremism Released
5. Re: Democracy 3: Extremism Released May 14, 2014, 17:24 Quboid

*David Attenborough impression*

And here, we see the troll's primary defensive measure: the moving of the goal posts. Threatened by the sudden appearance of facts, this young troll quickly realises it has bitten off more than it can chew and attempts to distract its underestimated target with irrelevant and self-contradictory discussion. If this troll is to survive in the wild, it must learn to curb its attacking instincts and show patience to lure its prey in before hooking it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Watch Dogs 101 Trailer
16. Re: Watch Dogs 101 Trailer May 14, 2014, 16:15 Quboid

Creston wrote on May 14, 2014, 13:49:
Also, this is again just fucking ridiculous.

Wow, that's awful.

- Quboid

News Comments > Watch Dogs 101 Trailer
12. Re: Watch Dogs 101 Trailer May 14, 2014, 07:08 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 14, 2014, 01:46:
Going to wait for all of you guys to give input, no way I am putting money down on this with the delay and not seeing much if any actualy gameplay. The fact it wasn't played at the most recent conventions shuold really throw up some red flags.....

QFT. Getting amped up about a title before release is a mug's game and yes, I speak from vast personal experience.

- Quboid

News Comments > Titanfall Patch Adds "Extreme" Frame Rate Support
26. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 19:53 Quboid

Thanks scheherazade. They're cheaper than I thought. Which has better image quality? There seems to be quite a few variants of the Qnix one, not all are 120hz.

This might not make sense but: is there any advantage to 120hz over 90hz other than the obvious? An extra 30hz probably won't matter to me as I'm fine with a 60hz monitor and a slow response time. I'm wondering if, as 120hz is a multiple of 60hz, there is better software compatibility or any advantage like that. I don't mean adding an extra frame like some TVs do, that's silliness.

This comment was edited on May 13, 2014, 20:06.

- Quboid

23. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 17:30 Quboid

Scheherazade wrote on May 13, 2014, 14:25:
I use 2560x1440 @ 120hz. (ips)

It's kind of the best of both worlds. Happy with it.

I know IPS has a tad more pixel latency, but I'll spare that 4ms or so for the nicer colours. I'm getting old anyways, it's not like I can FPS like I used to (not like it matters, since action [i.e. quake/ut] FPS games are a relic of the past too).

-scheherazade

That sounds ideal for me, who made it? I'd happily forgo a few milliseconds for a better picture, although I'd like to get an OLED screen and have both. I presume G-Sync isn't worth waiting for for much the same reason.

What sort of connector do these monitors use? I don't think my Geforce has a Display Port socket.

- Quboid

17. Re: Titanfall Patch Adds May 13, 2014, 13:32 Quboid

I have a 60hz LCD monitor from 7 years ago, its response time is the full 16ms. I know there's motion blur but unless I specifically use motion blur or ghosting test pages then I never notice it. Still, I hope to be needing at least 90 FPS at 2560x1440 for the Oculus Rift so I might get a fancier monitor soon. Did Microsoft ever add decent PPI scaling to Windows?

If you want to rub console gamers' faces in their 30 FPS, their framerate comparison is interesting. I wonder how visible 120FPS would be to me on that test.

- Quboid

4252 Comments. 213 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo