Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4499 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO
28. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 15:44 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 15:22:
Quboid wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 12:42:
Tall Non-Fat DLC with extra microtransactions topped with freshly whipped developer.

If this means they do some market research and actually use it when designing games, I'm all for it. If they'd done market research for SimCity 2013, they'd have realised that people won't just get over the whole always-online thing. Blue's cynicism seems misplaced for once; while it remains to be seen what difference if any this makes, they could be addressing one of their biggest flaws.

Thanks, Q. It's for thoughts like these that I come here. Otherwise I would have just assumed it was just more "develop products to extract the most amount of money possible."

Thanks ... ?

Sorry, now I am being dense. Do you think I'm saying otherwise or what? I don't think they'd make better games to be all lovely, I think they'd make better games to extract more money - how many more units/DLC would SimCity have sold if it hadn't been always-online?

The cynicism I refer to is where I presume Blue was calling bullshit on marketing improving a game - if he was referring to how this is far from certain, or he literally meant that it's unusual for this to be mentioned then I'm certainly wrong on that count.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 14:25 Quboid

harlock wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:51:
Quboid wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:38:
Beamer wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 11:03:
Do you like the cookie you bought from them? Someone from marketing likely made the decision for them to carry it.

Are you mocking him? He didn't say that they're good, it's just a statement of fact.

saying that someone does something you like, generally implies an indication that they are "good".. its not really a huge mental stretch to make that connection.. well maybe for some people it is, i dunno

also, i never said they were not good, cant you see that? man, whats wrong with you

Oh you were, I honestly wasn't sure. "Cookie good therefore cookie man good" is logic befitting a caveman and while the "maybe for some people" dig would have been a decent attempt at mocking my supposed stupidity, it is let down by it highlighting how simplistically you view things.

It seems like a fair bet that your last sentence was also an attempt to mock me. The thing is, I actually didn't say that you said they were bad. Unlike you, I didn't imply it. I didn't approach the subject at all. Your comment about "i [sic] never said" was, ironically, in response to a comment I *actually* never said.

You're right to keep practising mocking. You're really not very good at it.

- Quboid

21. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 13:38 Quboid

harlock wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:09:
Do you like the cookie you bought from them? Someone from marketing likely made the decision for them to carry it.

haha what a fucking joke..

do you enjoy not having bird shit mixed into your coffee? someone from the legal dept likely made the decision for them to do that. lawyers are the best

Are you mocking him? He didn't say that they're good, it's just a statement of fact.

Creston - that's fair enough. I see it as inevitable when businesses get this big but they don't have to suck as badly as EA's previous marketing efforts. It would be kind of nice if the big businesses all left gaming but I don't hold that specifically against EA (although there are plenty of things I do hold against EA and many of them relate to their size).

- Quboid

18. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 13:05 Quboid

Creston wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 12:49:
Instead, at Starbucks it would be the marketing deciding what products are offered. Do you like the cookie you bought from them? Someone from marketing likely made the decision for them to carry it.

Do you like the dime-a-dozen modern shooters that come out seemingly every month? Did you like the three year wave of WW2 shooters that we had? Do you like the endless waves of F2P pieces of shit we're getting?

Someone at marketing figured out, through some dildo focus group, that that's what everyone wanted.

Do you like games like Star Citizen? Someone at marketing figured out that there was just no market for that type of stuff anymore.

Two can play this game, Beamer.

The point is that marketing is more than advertising and does in fact have input into the game. I don't think his game is saying that marketing is always good at its job.

- Quboid

15. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 12:42 Quboid

Tall Non-Fat DLC with extra microtransactions topped with freshly whipped developer.

If this means they do some market research and actually use it when designing games, I'm all for it. If they'd done market research for SimCity 2013, they'd have realised that people won't just get over the whole always-online thing. Blue's cynicism seems misplaced for once; while it remains to be seen what difference if any this makes, they could be addressing one of their biggest flaws.

- Quboid

News Comments > Open Letter to the Gaming Community
24. Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 14:05 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 13:36:
Quboid wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 13:27:
This sort of thing is just preaching to the choir and as Verno says, people will and have already jumped aboard with their own largely imaginary grievances.

I don't know.
This sort of thing seems like a "is this good enough?" It doesn't really take a stand on anything. It's 4 sentences that are vague. It isn't preaching to any choir, it's trying to say "look, we're doing something" without doing anything to make sure exactly no one is angry. It's phrased deliberately so that it's really hard to disagree with (though people are finding ways), yet not really saying anything and not really actionable (what the hell does "take a public stand" mean?) It holds absolutely none of the people signing it to any kind of standard or accountability.

It's fluff that says nothing, but I guess given that this is the gaming community, people still find "don't be racist" to be overly preachy.

That's what I meant, few will disagree. "Preaching to the choir" is the wrong phrase as, as you say, it applies very broadly.

I meant that even people who this applies to will, in general, think that they agree. I don't think most sexist, racist or otherwise bigoted people who see this would realise that their comments are anything other than the harmless fun that they think it is and we've all seen how readily some people will justify their -ism of choice. "Damn these horrible misogynists! Not like me, when I kept asking that chick on a BF4 server what bra size she wore, that was just banter. LOLz!"

- Quboid

News Comments > Open Letter to the Gaming Community
13. Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 13:27 Quboid

This sort of thing is just preaching to the choir and as Verno says, people will and have already jumped aboard with their own largely imaginary grievances.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition
8. Re: Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition Aug 30, 2014, 20:14 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 06:31:
Quboid wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 20:54:
I've only ever been interested in historical and custom battles, is Total War: Rome II suitable for this yet?
I don't mind them at all, but I mostly play the world domination mode. Last historical battle I did was about 2 patches back and it was good. If you think it might be iffy still, just wait for it to hit a sale again. I've seen it as cheaply as $5 on humble already.

Thanks. I'll probably pick it up for peanuts some time.

- Quboid

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition
4. Re: Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition Aug 29, 2014, 20:54 Quboid

I've only ever been interested in historical and custom battles, is Total War: Rome II suitable for this yet?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute
15. Re: Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute Aug 29, 2014, 17:14 Quboid

How do GOG implement theirs?

At GOG.com, we're confident in the quality of the games we sell and the work that we put into getting them ready for you to play them. If a game that you've bought on GOG.com doesn't work and our team of expert Support staff can't solve the problem for you, we will give you back your money.

If, within 30 days after the purchase of your game, you experience technical problems or game-breaking bugs that prevent you from finishing your game, contact our customer support. They will do their best to help you fix the problem and if, at the end of their attempts to solve the problem your game is still not working, we'll give you back your money.

If the game fails to load then it's pretty straight forward but "game-breaking bugs that prevent you from finishing your game" encompasses a lot. How do they know you haven't finished it and have looked up a known issue to con a refund? If a game-breaking bug is fixed in a new patch but my saved game isn't compatible, I probably wouldn't be entitled to a refund but I'd still lose that emotional investment.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute
7. Re: Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute Aug 29, 2014, 12:29 Quboid

Good. It was only a matter of time but it should not have taken this long. I know how complicated it is to say when a game is broken but Valve has increasingly been profiting from selling junk and are seemingly happy to hide behind this vagueness.

Given the Australian government's apparent opinion of computer gaming (just a children's activity) I am surprised they are leading the way. If Valve pulled out of Australia, how long would it be until a larger market followed suit?

- Quboid

News Comments > Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes)
17. Re: Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes) Aug 28, 2014, 19:52 Quboid

Slick wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 05:01:
Quboid wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:48:
Rhino wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:39:
Aside from the lack of review copies being sent out, which is never a good sign, there is also this:

http://ts4news.com/post/94541924952/89-features-missing-from-the-sims-4

Some of them aren't terribly noteworthy (no acne, as an example); but some of the others are eye catching to me.

There is some important stuff, what the hell are they doing? Taking cues from SimCity 2013? If they've scaled back the game world and increased the system requirements, I wonder what has been added that's using the excess power.

LOL what "excess power"? i'm pretty sure my wristwatch can play this. also WTF is an "Athalon X4?" Sims 4, looks just like Sims 2 except now harnessing the awesome power of DX9.

And Simcity 2013 did have it's issues with always-online, but that game actually had some cool stuff going on, it actually feels like the simulation is alive. But there's literally nothing i can get excited about for Sims 4, and I've been playing them since the first iteration of the series, shit I've been playing maxis games since the OG simcity.

The Sims 3 (minimum):
2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
1.5 GB RAM
128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

The Sims 4 (recommended):
Intel core i5 or AMD Athlon X4
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 650 or better

That power excess.

SimCity 2013 was a disaster. Glassbox is very pretty and perhaps some aspects of it can be salvaged but the whole agent system was just woeful and completely sunk the game for me. I didn't feel that it was alive, I felt that it was horribly transparent and shallow. SimCity 4 felt more alive, as people actually lived in one place, and remains a much, much better city builder. I was optimistic for SimCity 2013 (and if you recall, I was one of the few people on threads pre-release who didn't jump on you for positivity) but it's a train wreak and stands as my personal worst game of all time.

- Quboid

News Comments > Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games
20. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 19:40 Quboid

As Orogogus says, they charge what each market will bear according to their calculations. No market is propping up another, the point of regional pricing is so that products are priced in each market in such a way so as to maximise the profits from that market. They don't make a profit of $X, they make a profit of $X x Sales and if X = $60 in Russia, Sales = Sod All. If X = $15 in US, Sales = Big, but not 4 times as big as if X = $60.

Some of it seems scummy. Countries with roughly equivalent standards of living should have equivalent prices, so NA, western EU, Australia and such like should be priced equally IMHO. I think VAT (20%) is applied to purchases from GOG/Steam/etc which does legitimately push up UK prices compared to US ones and YMMV around the world but significantly different prices do make me feel gouged. Why is Elder Scrolls Online 27.65% cheaper in the US than the UK?

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Aug 27, 2014, 21:52 Quboid

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 21:19:
Yeah, thanks Ant.

Perfect. I just ... no.

- Quboid

News Comments > Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games
5. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 27, 2014, 21:50 Quboid

I agree it seems odd, leaving their roots behind. By the looks of it they have had some problem with Nordic Games, I checked about half the games at random and this name shows up every time.

Edit: Whiskers, master ninja.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes)
2. Re: Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes) Aug 27, 2014, 20:48 Quboid

Rhino wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:39:
Aside from the lack of review copies being sent out, which is never a good sign, there is also this:

http://ts4news.com/post/94541924952/89-features-missing-from-the-sims-4

Some of them aren't terribly noteworthy (no acne, as an example); but some of the others are eye catching to me.

There is some important stuff, what the hell are they doing? Taking cues from SimCity 2013? If they've scaled back the game world and increased the system requirements, I wonder what has been added that's using the excess power.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs
14. Re: Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs Aug 27, 2014, 16:18 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 14:28:
Quboid wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 12:52:
So who's going to be the killjoy who points out that these are installed upon first running a game and not the game's installation? I bet that joyless prick is fun at parties.

You, apparently, haha.

*gasp* What have I done?!

Evilgrin

I regret nothing!

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs
10. Re: Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs Aug 27, 2014, 12:52 Quboid

So who's going to be the killjoy who points out that these are installed upon first running a game and not the game's installation? I bet that joyless prick is fun at parties.  

- Quboid

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
12. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 26, 2014, 21:15 Quboid

Slick wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 20:53:
has anyone here confirmed what they're trying to sell on the side? have they gimped the full releases?

In FIFA (EA's football game, as opposed to Madden which is their football game) there is a sort of club management mode called Ultimate Team, in which you build up a team from scratch. I expect there will be something similar in Madden.

You recruit players and gain items (player injury cures, contracts, etc) through a sort of card collecting system. The more in-game currency you spend, the better card packs you can buy with rarer cards, i.e. better players. As you might expect, you don't get enough gold from playing matches to progress satisfactorily - but happily you can spend real money to top up your account. Yay!

I avoid this game mode, as I avoid everything in which a developer has a financial incentive to make their game worse.

- Quboid

News Comments > FIFA 15 Ban Warning
3. Re: FIFA 15 Ban Warning Aug 23, 2014, 17:25 Quboid

Overon wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 17:00:
I thought this was a soccer game. What the hell are virtual coins?

In-game currency for the main game mode they're pushing, a micro-transaction laden management mode. For some reason, EA think that people who spend 40 a year on new versions that have so little new content Call of Duty would blush are ripe for exploitation.

I've bought one of FIFA or Pro Evo Soccer every year for over a decade and although I virtually never preorder games, I've already preordered FIFA 15. I don't even know what it claims is new this year, I just know that resistance is futile. I get very good value from every edition so I don't mind too much, mind you there's no sodding way I'm getting involved in pay-to-win bullshit.

- Quboid

4499 Comments. 225 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo