Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4252 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Football Club Manager Closed Beta
1. Re: Football Club Manager Closed Beta May 29, 2014, 14:35 Quboid

Oh cool, I hadn't heard about thi...

not to be confused with Football Manager from Sports Interactive

... ah. Oh.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com
3. Re: SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition on GOG.com May 29, 2014, 13:40 Quboid

Network Addon Mod just goes into the Simcity 4 directory in My Documents and it works with both ye olde boxed version and Steam.

I also recommend Farm Mod if you like a lot of farms, this stops demand from dying after about 30K population. If you don't mind cheating a bit, PEG Garbage Chute is a handy way to avoid landfill. I use SC4Launcher for better compatibility and widescreen options but it may not be needed for the Gog release.

Tropico 5 is pretty good, for fans of the genre. Many of my complaints with Tropico 4 have been dealt with: there's plenty of new content; the difficulty seems more consistent; I've had my ass handed to me by rebellions and coups - I don't think that ever happened to me in T3 or T4 and certainly not in the late game phase.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2014, 13:50.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 28, 2014, 15:59 Quboid

The headline says that the following article will list 5 aspects of security that have got better, which is what the article does indeed do. It does not say that security has universally improved or improved on-the-balance or anything like that, nor does the article. It's not sensationalising anything, which I take to be the main characteristic of click-bait. Is your argument that you also didn't read the headline?

A list format is a quick, perhaps lazy way of formatting an article and is therefore often used for click-bait articles but it doesn't inherently mean click-bait.

- Quboid

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 28, 2014, 14:46 Quboid

Cutter wrote on May 28, 2014, 14:33:
Quboid wrote on May 28, 2014, 14:18:
Cutter, when you comment on a headline how often have you read the article?

Is what I said not true? Is it any less valid? No? So what's your point?
You want to waste your time with useless clickbait articles you just go knock yourself out, scooter.

What you said isn't relevant and is therefore utterly invalid.

The article discusses how there are huge numbers of security issues in the world and it doesn't claim that computers are more secure than they used to be, or for that matter that they're less. It just discussed 5 particular areas in which security has come along and therefore "Computer security has advanced has it?" isn't what the article is about.

- Quboid

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 28, 2014, 14:18 Quboid

Cutter, when you comment on a headline how often have you read the article?  

- Quboid

News Comments > The Sims 4 Trailer
6. Re: The Sims 4 Trailer May 28, 2014, 14:03 Quboid

I've only ever found the build part of The Sims interesting, although I can see how the main game could appeal to many.

The people don't start out especially well adjusted and they're certainly not well adjusted after I've been controlling them. The most interesting part of the main life-sim game is creating a character with weird personality traits and seeing what happens. (AFAIK you don't buy the characters, there's a character builder and a few pre-made ones.)

- Quboid

News Comments > Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide
65. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 27, 2014, 09:19 Quboid

NKD wrote on May 27, 2014, 07:30:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 27, 2014, 07:13:
NKD wrote on May 27, 2014, 03:45:
So a few hours in, I am loving this game. The driving is a little wonky with KB+M especially, but still better than the GTA 4 PC driving for example.

I disagree.

The driving in GTA 4 never looked or felt as plastic or arcadey as it does in this game

Well, I don't know about plastic or arcadey, but driving in Watch Dogs hasn't made me throw my controller yet. GTA 4 driving on the other hand was incredibly infuriating to me. I much prefer the Saints Row style.

I've played games with more realistic driving, less realistic driving and as realistic driving as GTA4 and all of them are more fun, as is real driving. That's what killed GTA4 for me and is one of the reasons why I'm waiting for reaction from this. Whatever quality GTA4 has that I don't like, and I can't really define it, hopefully it's the same as your problem and Watch Dogs is free from it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide
24. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 16:23 Quboid

This has been released?

NKD wrote on May 26, 2014, 12:45:
Even on my Tri-SLI Titan setup

Shocked

PCMR indeed.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. May 25, 2014, 16:20 Quboid

Damn, that's bad news. I hope, for his sake, that he's able to keep working.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Watch Dogs Launch Trailer
28. Re: Watch Dogs Launch Trailer May 23, 2014, 08:50 Quboid

Alamar wrote on May 22, 2014, 17:21:
Don't know anything about the game, but the trailer does nothing for me... Looks like he's just running around casting spells...

And that's how I feel about sci fi vs fantasy : )

-Alamar

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clark

- Quboid

News Comments > Metro Redux Announced
8. Re: Metro Redux Announced May 22, 2014, 22:30 Quboid

Dagnamit wrote on May 22, 2014, 20:49:
Longswd wrote on May 22, 2014, 19:36:
I didn't get very into Last Light before hitting the areas that require you to run about full tilt under the mask filter countdown.

Being an explorer/completionist I detest, utterly detest, games that force an arbitrary time limit on you. After hitting that large outdoor area, I uninstalled in disgust.

If that's when you uninstalled then you did it at the right time. The game is probably not for you. There's tons of forced movement in that game, both above and below ground. It's a design decision that wanted to stress the reason why all these people are under the ground and need to be there instead of on the surface. Hardly arbitrary, however, the vision of the devs and what you find fun just didn't align.

It is very linear, even the outside bits are essentially corridors. I typically wouldn't like this but Last Light made it work I think because the story worked. It felt like a proper Doom update, the sort of game Id Software envisaged 20 years ago. Even the mask system would make sense in the Doom universe. Make the Fascists a UAV clean-up crew, the Communists a band of survivors, change up the monsters and you've got a 21st century Doom reboot.

- Quboid

News Comments > Metro Redux Announced
3. Re: Metro Redux Announced May 22, 2014, 19:28 Quboid

I hope there'll be a discounted version for people who own Metro 2033 and Last Light like there was with the DX:HR revamp.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2014, 18:09 Quboid

Cutter wrote on May 22, 2014, 13:08:
InBlack wrote on May 22, 2014, 09:30:
Nice Mel Brooks interview. I was surprised and delighted to find out that he is still with the living. Hopefully he makes Spaceballs2 although if the new Star Wars turns into a trainwreck (which is highly probable) a parody would probably be unnecessary.

Love that man! Love him. One person I've always dearly wanted to meet.

If he does Spaceballs 2, he really really really needs to persuade the money men to keep the subtitle. I had assumed he had retired but if he feels he's up to it and has his touch, I'd like to see more of his work.

I expect A Million Ways To Die In The West will try too hard. Ted was better than I'd expected but definitely not a classic. Seth MacFarlane's TV shows are pretty tired but perhaps a change is what he needs. He's not everybody's cup of tea - understatement - but I really admire how talented he is in many ways and what he's achieved professionally.

- Quboid

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2014, 17:08 Quboid

I must keep that in mind.

It's simply way too soon and nothing's going to really dress that up but there's a bit of relief in how quick it was. He didn't suffer any illness ever and he was perfectly happy until the end and for my part, I missed him one night, found him the next day and buried him in our family's unofficial pet cemetery soon after. I'd rather have waited for a year and have him miraculously return home but that wasn't to be and I could so easily have been searching, worrying and hoping in vain at this moment.

Losing an old pet is a bit different as they're so ingrained in our lives (not that I really know how losing a young pet feels yet). I got my previous cat when I was in primary (elementary) school and she died long after I'd finished education - I shared so much of my life with her as I'm sure you did with Hudson. Her death was as fair as these things get; she was 19 and had been in fine health until the last few months when her age caught up with her all at once and the decision to have her put to sleep became straight forward but of course that didn't stop me from missing her.

Stupid creatures, they break our hearts yet 5 seconds with them is worth it all and so much more.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2014, 20:55.

- Quboid

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed
64. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 21, 2014, 22:21 Quboid

harlock wrote on May 21, 2014, 21:11:
is it worth a buy?

That guy's really wearing thin. The whole "get on with it Mack" tangential rambles would work once or twice an episode but he spends as much time on irrelevant crap. It doesn't make the game look too good, although he really over romanticises the original Wolfenstein.

- Quboid

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2014, 20:44 Quboid

I didn't mean to take over the thread Blush

Thanks guys. Quincy was a lovely chap and he is missed.

- Quboid

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2014, 17:32 Quboid

Dogs have pack instincts that most owners never see and the reaction to losing a pack mate can be considerable. The Gunnar-man must have looked on Hudson as a pack superior and possibly now feels "promoted" in the pack. I have heard of people with several friendly and well behaved dogs have their dogs turn vicious as soon as the dog the others considered to be the alpha died. They should be kept separate and reintroduced carefully so they can re-establish the pack hierarchy peacefully.

My cat died on Monday, he was 1 year and 10 months old. It seems so unfair that such a happy, healthy little guy is gone so suddenly. He got on very well with my dog, a deaf 11 year old Springer Spaniel. I haven't seen a reaction from him but he's harder to read than most dogs. I didn't think of this at the time but someone on here mentioned that it can help your dog to see their pack mate's body, giving the pet closure rather than just have a friend disappear.

Rescue dogs can have issues but there's some lovely dogs needing a good home. The rescue centre should let you visit a few times, take the dog for a walk locally and introduce it to your other dogs if you have any, so any problems should become apparent. I'll adopt a kitten from my centre in due course, I don't particularly like cat pee on my bed but I want the whole experience, from kitten to hopefully a ripe old age. Each to their own but if you have the time and energy, I think getting a baby dog or cat is worth it.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2014, 17:39.

- Quboid

61. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 21, 2014, 16:36 Quboid

He often only uses one (beast of a) card for recording, apparently capturing SLI content can be unreliable. It looks a fair bit better than Rage, but that's not saying a great deal. I'd expect it to even if the engine is identical to Rage's, with a couple of years' newer hardware to target and, from what I've seen, smaller spaces to decorate.

Perhaps this is my love for Id Software and Carmack speaking but it's possible that Id Tech 5 is too far ahead of its time. When we have enough video memory (or fast enough RAM -> VRAM transfer) for all these unique textures to be displayed properly, perhaps then mega-textures will adopted by Unreal Engine 7 and artists will get free reign with their texture art [he says, pushing at the limit of his understanding of megatextures]. Another possibility is that Id Tech 5 is a turkey. I mustn't rule that out.

- Quboid

25. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Shipped, Reviewed May 20, 2014, 11:40 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 20, 2014, 09:54:
11 minutes of fucking menu time!? WTF!?

"Arcadey Action game through and through"

Looks nice....but I will wait.

I like that, few reviewers show this stuff but it's important and says a lot about how good the game is on a technical level, especially cross platform stuff like this. It's not riveting but it's good that someone covers it.

I'll probably wait too. I've got Crysis 1 and 3 to play if I fancy arcade nonsense and they're cheaper.

- Quboid

News Comments > X Rebirth 2.0 Released
8. Re: X Rebirth 2.0 Released May 20, 2014, 09:43 Quboid

I'm glad this hasn't been abandoned. I can imagine buying it when version 4.0's release coincides with an 80% off sale.  

- Quboid

4252 Comments. 213 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo