Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4449 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Act of Aggression Announced
5. Re: Act of Aggression Announced Aug 9, 2014, 21:01 Quboid

Techie714 © wrote on Aug 9, 2014, 18:19:
What song was that, kinda cool?

Higher Than the Sun, by David McCabe and Evilalien. Full song, not sure if this video uses this mix.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Metro Redux Uncovered Trailer
5. Re: Metro Redux Uncovered Trailer Aug 8, 2014, 18:58 Quboid

I can't recommend these games highly enough but the redux versions look like bad value for owners of the previous games. I think this goes beyond a patch even for Last Light and I don't begrudge them charging but that price looks steep IMHO.

If you don't own one and want an old school shooter updated well, now's your chance. Playing them in order (2033 first, then Last Light) is preferable but not necessary, it doesn't carry over like Mass Effect.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
32. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2014, 12:49 Quboid

I think it's absurd that you think this lady can win a separate case against Rovio based on "general similarities."

I think it's absurd that you got that from this:

Proving this would be next to impossible if there isn't contract between Rovio and Hartz in the first place.

- Quboid

30. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2014, 07:26 Quboid

I don't think all cartoons look alike, quite the opposite, I think there is huge scope for variation. This is my point. If I thought all cartoons looked the same, I wouldn't be claiming that these two look suspiciously similar.

I think they look similar in general terms. I thought this was obvious, yes, evidently it's not to everyone.

Here's an example to illustrate what I mean by general similarities. Peter Griffin has different hair to Homer Simpson, a different chin, different clothes, he typically wears glasses, his car port is on the other side of his house - yet there's a reason why Family Guy is frequently seen a rip-off of the Simpsons and shows like King Of The Hill aren't.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2014, 08:42.

- Quboid

28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2014, 22:28 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 20:14:
That's not even an argument the lawyers are making. Why are you making it? The game design and characters were not taken from a cat toy.

I explained why in this thread - she would need to establish ownership first if this is her belief. I don't expect the game design or characters where taken from a cat toy, no, just that the name and the art direction might have been. I was wrong to say that there was no way that this could be independent but it seems unlikely.

If you showed that cat toy to a hundred people and asked them if it was based (with or without permission) on the game, how many do you think would say yes? I'd predict 95%.

- Quboid

26. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2014, 19:21 Quboid

I think the similarities in name, theme and appearance are such that combined, it seems unlikely that both came around independently. It's not impossible, but in my opinion it would be odd; evidently in your opinion it would not be.  

- Quboid

24. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2014, 17:59 Quboid

Orogogus wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 17:33:
The shapes are completely different. Rovio's is a ball for throwing, and the other is thinner and elongated

This explains most of the points you make, Rovio adapted the design to fit their game. Take the first toy, adapt it to fit the theme of a catapult game, and bar a few minor cosmetic changes you've got the second toy.

- Quboid

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2014, 16:57 Quboid

The claim isn't that the monkey owns it, that's just Gawker being Gawker. They've updated their article and headline to clarify that the argument is that the (human) photographer does not own the photo - there's no claim that the monkey does, which would indeed be stupid.  

- Quboid

22. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2014, 16:38 Quboid

I don't know what else to say, I see resemblances in the designs on the page of the PDF that I linked to (*cough*proving I did at least skim it*cough*). They could come up with the name independently and they could come up with the design independently but both seems unlikely.

The fonts are similar but putting your angry cartoon character's product name in a high impact cartoon font isn't the most amazing idea and I can readily believe that they would come up with this independently if they had done the rest.

Proving this would be next to impossible if there isn't contract between Rovio and Hartz in the first place.

- Quboid

News Comments > Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds
36. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 7, 2014, 16:23 Quboid

I generally subscribe to Occam's Razor on these things but they are still doing it.

The marketing spiel makes sense for a mobile game, where "re-mastered" isn't expected to be true in the traditional sense, and for this marketing to then be badly ported over without appreciating the PC market's expectations.

The problem is that they're still implying that it's based on CMR2.0. They know that this is being misunderstood and they've added the bare minimum so they can claim it's not being mis-sold. By claiming this is CMR re-mastered for HD, I think they are still mis-selling because re-mastered doesn't mean "passing resemblance" in any other market. Mis-selling is about the only case in which Valve intervene so I wonder if they told Codemasters to sort it out before they had to.

If they weren't being dicks in the first place, they are now.

- Quboid

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2014, 09:51 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 23:36:
Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 22:49:
In your car dealership example, Burrito of Peace, if the dealer doesn't let you take a car for a test drive do you go ahead and take a 2 hour joyride?

Oh, come on now, you know damn well that's not what he meant.

Comparing physical goods to digital ones is always problematic but essentially yes - it looked to me like he was saying that if a demonstration isn't made available, breaking the law is fine as long as you only break it a little bit. I kind of agree, but a judge would not. I don't think pirating to get a demonstration version is particularly bad but to many (especially outside gaming) that looks like a feeble justification - and to some pirates, it is.

PHJF, is that sarcasm? It feels like sarcasm but doesn't really make sense as such.

- Quboid

28. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 22:49 Quboid

It was pretending to be Colin McRae Rally 2.0 "re-mastered for HD" and I wouldn't expect a cheap update of a 14 year old game to have high system requirements or to look especially good in videos. It was intentionally marketed as something that it clearly is not because (thanks to reviews and YouTubers) we know that it is a mobile game port and not CMR2.0 re-mastered, lacking everything that made that game great. They've added a note that the car and track lists are from the mobile game but it still repeatedly implies that it's principally based on CMR2.0.

I absolutely have sympathy for people who bought this. They should have researched their purchase more, sure, but it's a few bucks and making an impulse buy based on the product page isn't the craziest thing. A dishonest product page isn't justified in any scenario.

In your car dealership example, Burrito of Peace, if the dealer doesn't let you take a car for a test drive do you go ahead and take a 2 hour joyride?

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2014, 22:55.

- Quboid

18. Re: Angry Birds Aug 6, 2014, 14:11 Quboid

It's strange that Rovio are licensing anything to Hartz. Did they independently come up with the same name and art direction and then somehow get the manufacturer of an existing toy of the same name and style to pay them to make toys with this name and style? That doesn't add up.

There must have been a deal between Rovio and Hartz at some point to buy or license AB from Hartz to Rovio, only for them to decide that there's a new market for toys and get together again to license AB back to Hartz.

If that's the case, then this suit would be to establish that she is the rightful owner of the IP, which would be needed to go after Rovio.

- Quboid

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 6, 2014, 13:43 Quboid

Dear Randy Queen,
There are people and animals suffering and dying in the world, and real human rights issues in certain countries, and this is what you take issue with? Criticism of nearly two decade old art? I think there are greater causes to champion with the limited time and energy we are given on this Earth.

Yours,
Mr. Randy Queen's Logic

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2014, 10:41 Quboid

OUTRAGEOUS!  

- Quboid

News Comments > July Steam Hardware & Software Survey
3. Re: July Steam Hardware & Software Survey Aug 6, 2014, 10:33 Quboid

I switched by my own free will, it's the best version of Windows.  

- Quboid

News Comments > The Expendabros
11. Re: The Expendabros Aug 6, 2014, 09:32 Quboid

NetHead wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 09:06:
Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 08:56:
They presumably got money as part of The Expendables 3 marketing campaign...

I seriously doubt that, their stuff is a typical example of how to get away with using another's property without having to pay, be licensed, or have any kind of permission.

What's better than not having to pay? Getting paid!

I would think that this is going beyond fair use/parody. Anyway, why make it at all if there was no money? It's an elaborate looking demo if that's all it is.

Edit: Also, Expendables 3 is plastered all over its Steam page ...

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity Trial Version
8. Re: SimCity Trial Version Aug 6, 2014, 09:07 Quboid

Flatline wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 19:49:
Creston wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 18:23:
Makes sense it's only for four hours, because you can't build anything big enough (relatively speaking, in their tiny-ass lots) to see how fucking terrible it is later in the game.

I almost bought the game when it was on sale for 20 bucks. But then I decided that I'd be better of spending that money on something more worthwhile. Glad it hear it's not even particularly worth 4 hours of my time.

When you've played it enough to know what you're doing you can effectively finish a city in 4 hours, from laying the first tarmac until the simulation engine starts to struggle (at about 50K population, and that's after it fudges the numbers).

I re-bought SimCity 4 on a recent Steam sale and it's just so much better in almost every way.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Expendabros
9. Re: The Expendabros Aug 6, 2014, 08:56 Quboid

Xero wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 08:04:
I have no problem with them giving away a free game, HOWEVER, the original BROFORCE title still claims to be in I believe ALPHA when I load it up. So instead of finishing up their original title, they are working on giving away a freebie? WTF.

They presumably got money as part of The Expendables 3 marketing campaign. Why would they work for free on Broforce when paid work comes up?

Why yes, I do think Early Access is deeply flawed. How'd ya guess?

- Quboid

10. Re: Angry Birds Aug 5, 2014, 16:44 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 15:32:
Points 34-36 is where she loses her case though. The entire document talks about how she has the rights to "Angry Birds" for pet toys and that Hartz was just licensing and managing it for her... But then Amendment 1 to the agreement lets them take it over. The only argument refuting that is that no “good and valuable consideration” was provided to her... But she signed it.

If she signed over ownership in exchange for something that she didn't get, then she has every right to expect ownership back. I'd like to know what "good and valuable consideration" means in this case and if it implies she signed the rights over without explicitly asking for anything. IANAL but as I understand it, even if she did sign it away for nothing she may still have a case that without some form of payment, the contract is invalid.

Orogogus wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 15:19:
I feel like I'm looking at something different from everyone else. I mean, they're both red, and they have big eyes, and... that's it? The wings, tail, shape of beak, legs or lack thereof, secondary coloration all look dissimilar to me. Is there, like, a whole set of these things in the same color schemes as the other birds?

It's not the precise toy that's a copy, it's the IP - it's the same concept and the same name.

- Quboid

4449 Comments. 223 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo