Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4502 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Endless Legend Next Week
9. Re: Endless Legend Next Week Sep 10, 2014, 20:33 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 19:31:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 19:24:
Flatline wrote on Sep 10, 2014, 18:18:
I quit endless space when it became obvious how badly the AI has to cheat to put up any resistance at all. At one point I had conquered half the galaxy, was putting out gargantuan fleets of utter doom, and the AI, who had like 4 planets, was matching and stalling my fleets.

At that point I kind of quit.
I quit playing most RTS games when I saw how much cheating was going on in Dune II.

This just reminded me how few games there actually are announced in the rts genre lately.... PA is kinda meh, and aside that I can't even come up with names...

Anyhow I must be the only bloke here who really hates these "Paint stars 1 color" 4x games... especially when they are cheating so absurdly as the pirates and AI in endless space... I mean at some point every pirate fleet was matching my strongest fleets.

Have you tried the Wargame series? I played a fair bit of Airland Battle (the second one, after European Escalation and before Red Dragon), it seems fair. There's been a few times when I thought the AI cheated to see something, only to find out on the post-game replay that they'd snuck special forces behind my lines.

It's a difficult game to get into. There's about 800 units and even once you get the most common ones down, some obscure East German APC from 1972 rolls up and you panic until you realise that it's not a tank.

It's more realistic that most RTS games but IMHO manages to get a good balance so frequently pesky things like scouting, supply lines and fuel add to the game and don't bog it down too much.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Sep 9, 2014, 22:19 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 14:51:
Cutter wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:44:
My, what an odd story. That's certainly....queer.

It's fucking stupid. If you can't be creative enough without using gay, lesbian, queer, or homosexual, to create a story for your Sims, then please go die a quiet death.

Swear to all things holy that I need to do a TED talk about how women need to stfu about sexism in gaming. (Side rant but all this bullshit is wearing thing, and I couldn't even fuck the brains out of Vega in Mass Effect 3, but I could bone the lonely shuttle pilot. That's like Captain Picard wanting to fuck Riker, but due to choices fucked Lt Barkley from TNG/Voyager.)

People being unimaginative in a computer game is a problem for you? People using these words to write a story is any of our fucking business whatsoever?

I know you don't actually wish death on these people but if this is making you feel oppressed then you've majorly lost perspective.

I can understand if you're fed the fuck up with the amount of bullshit lately but ... what the fuck man?

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 20:27 Quboid

sauron wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 12:58:
I've always like Craig Ferguson - kind of a fun guy. First saw him on Drew Carey and thought he was really funny.

But what I'm REALLY looking forward to is Colbert on The Late Show. That's going to be a riot. Will either be a roaring success, or he'll get CBS sued by every major conservative, liberal and commercial organization in the country. I might even have to buy a TV.

I only experience this sort of show as clips on YouTube so my experience may be very different regular viewers' but Craig Ferguson has long been my favourite, at least for general comedy. Seeing Colbert in this field will be interesting; I've seen him out of character but never doing an actual show as himself.

James Corden is not a favourite. I haven't heard so much relief at someone leaving our (UK) screens since Piers Morgan somehow got a show abroad. He's a young guy and maybe he will improve but I doubt he'll ever be as good as Craig Ferguson and his style is more brash and rather brainless. It's a lot easier to picture him as a comic relief judge on some talent show than somehow making talking to a camp robot actually funny.

- Quboid

News Comments > Next Total War Reveal This Month
3. Re: Next Total War Reveal This Month Sep 9, 2014, 19:16 Quboid

This is a sensitive time for Creative Assembly, I think a lot of people's patience is wearing thin. Sorry eRe4s3r, but I can't understand why anybody would pre-order from Creative Assembly at this point.

I expect they'll promise fancy new AI that will turn out to be as broken as ever. I wonder how grovelling their announcement is.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
57. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 17:00 Quboid

William Usher wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 16:26:
Beamer wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:46:

And sorry, your words define you. You keep referring to this as a war. That makes you an extremist.

My words define me, of course. I've always said that clarity, transparency and even-handedness of the facts would have solved this problem a long while ago (if not here in most of the articles I've written about this subject).

And where have I stated that this is a "war" here on this board? Those are your words not mine.

In fact, I've never mentioned the word "war" in the context of this discussion at all... only you have.

So uh... you need to talk about something Beamer? PTSD or something?

All from one single post:

William Usher wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 13:38:
... they drew first blood ... a death knell for them ... Gamers don't die ... drawn into battle ... go away and die ... They already put their stake on the wrong side of the war ...

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
54. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 16:34 Quboid

Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:10:
Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 15:04:
None of those are RPS. It was phrased badly but "gamers are over" wasn't attacking gaming culture, it was attacking bullying and bigotry in gaming. Nothing has proven their point more than the response, including the failure of people like you to see the difference between gaming and these behaviours.

I'm sorry but that's a bunch of crap. People ticked off by the gaming media's painting of gamers with such a broad brush is not proving the gaming media's point. Not a single one of us disgusted with how low gaming media has sunk in attacking its own market has any problem whatsoever recognizing the difference between bad behavior and gaming. That is such garbage I can't believe you would ever claim it.

Not people who are ticked off, people who are building blacklists based on conspiracy theories and playing six degrees of separation. People who are harassing the families of so-called journalists. People who have in turn prompted this response from RPS. There are people doing this and they are calling themselves gamers and believe they are doing these things in gaming's name. These people are absolutely treating bullying as a part of gaming culture.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 15:04 Quboid

William Usher wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 14:30:
Quboid wrote on Sep 8, 2014, 14:01:
a calculated attack on games culture

What specific attack on games culture?

http://markdownshare.com/view/a524affd-e679-40be-8aa1-72058065dc2a

None of those are RPS. It was phrased badly but "gamers are over" wasn't attacking gaming culture, it was attacking bullying and bigotry in gaming. Nothing has proven their point more than the response.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
27. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 14:01 Quboid

a calculated attack on games culture

What specific attack on games culture?

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2014, 12:16 Quboid

I don't think RPS wanted to post this, they've felt they need to because of the attacks they've been getting. Of course, tthey're only digging their own hole deeper.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Sep 8, 2014, 08:57 Quboid

I found him funny at first but his reviews all boil down to pretty much the same formula. This is a one of his better ones so perhaps he has improved, just fewer tangental rants would be nice.

He did a rant about how silly it is that a fire fighter shouldn't be called a fireman and his rant perfectly illustrated exactly the point he was arguing against. I don't boycott him because of it, but it's a little harder to take him seriously when he seems a bit thick. I'd say that he should reign this stuff in too, just for the sake of the quality of his review.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2014, 09:10.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2014, 16:39 Quboid

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 13:16:
True, though since Oculus is actively developing tools for Samsung VR stuff, I'd guess there's a mostly Samsung deal in place, with limited sourcing from another for backup. The Big S makes a ton of AMOLED's.

I hadn't realised that Gear VR was developed with Oculus, that does increase the chances a lot. My last few phones have been AMOLED (once you go true black you never go back) and I think they've all been Samsung panels, but then most have been Samsung phones.

- Quboid

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2014, 15:21 Quboid

I tend to agree that games aren't particularly sexist, although there are exceptions. It's the people - a small minority, but collectively a large number of people - who basically just nasty small minded fools and some of them think that they're acting for you and me. I don't like people assuming that because I am a gamer then I am one of these small minded fools and people should never do that but if no one threatened to rape someone for claiming that some gamers are sexist (or any of millions of other examples), our hobby wouldn't be so quickly trivialised.

It's nothing inherent in gaming and it's nothing that will ever stop, neither sexism nor tarring-all-with-one-brush-ism, but they are more prevalent in gaming and it's just depressing.

- Quboid

11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2014, 11:38 Quboid

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 11:30:
Quboid wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 11:24:
Frijoles wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 23:19:
Fantaz wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 22:51:
i think Samsung's Gear VR with Note 4 will be better than the Oculus Rift because it will be 1440p compared to 1080p. i just wonder if Gear VR can hook up to a computer or not...

Rift CV1 will be a minimum of 1440p. They've said so multiple times, going so far as to say "minimum" (as in, could be higher). The Note 4 version won't hit 90fps either, something they're targeting with CV1. If the Note 4 + Gear weren't so expensive, I'd consider getting one for playing around, but that's at tad high.

Have they actually said that? I expect it will be 1440p or 1600p but AFAIK the only time they've actually said that CV1 would be higher than DK2 it could just have been a slip of the mind. I haven't been keeping a close eye on things so I could easily have missed this.

I'd be really disappointed if it's 1080p given how long it's taking. Especially as I'd like a wider FoV (than DK1), which means each pixel needs to look slightly larger.

I would say that 1440p is all but confirmed. The DK2 has an honest-to-god galaxy note 3 screen that has the Samsung Logo and touch screen processor intact on it. They simply jacked it straight from the Note 3 supply chain. The note 4 has been previewed with a 1440p screen. It's a done deal.

I've seen a teardown of the DK2, it does look quite cheap. It's nice to know that CV1 should be a bit lighter at least!

The supply line for CV1 will be quite different to DK2's. For DK2 they needed a few tens of thousand screens and hunted around for a suitable deal which evidently turned out to be Samsung. I would expect CV1 would have a proper production line for a few hundred thousand displays, particularly with Facebook behind them, and this doesn't need to be Samsung. It might turn out to be whoever can manufacturer panels capable of 90hz most reliably.

- Quboid

9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2014, 11:24 Quboid

Frijoles wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 23:19:
Fantaz wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 22:51:
i think Samsung's Gear VR with Note 4 will be better than the Oculus Rift because it will be 1440p compared to 1080p. i just wonder if Gear VR can hook up to a computer or not...

Rift CV1 will be a minimum of 1440p. They've said so multiple times, going so far as to say "minimum" (as in, could be higher). The Note 4 version won't hit 90fps either, something they're targeting with CV1. If the Note 4 + Gear weren't so expensive, I'd consider getting one for playing around, but that's at tad high.

Have they actually said that? I expect it will be 1440p or 1600p but AFAIK the only time they've actually said that CV1 would be higher than DK2 it could just have been a slip of the mind. I haven't been keeping a close eye on things so I could easily have missed this.

I'd be really disappointed if it's 1080p given how long it's taking. Especially as I'd like a wider FoV (than DK1), which means each pixel needs to look slightly larger.

- Quboid

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2014, 23:03 Quboid

PropheT wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 22:25:
Quboid wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 21:32:
Oh good, this stuff in OotB too. And someone self-important shouting at a camera belittling their opponents, that always settles debates.

Well, there's 8 other links there that you could just read instead.

I kind of thought the point was that there never was a debate to resolve in the first place. After a lot of righteous indignation in article after article belittling something and anyone who disagrees, nobody else that I've seen with more of a voice than an average forum poster has really bothered to point out that the professionally offended aren't really paying attention to facts.

All that aside, I thought it was just nice for someone to do something that said we aren't all shitty people for liking games or comics or whatever for a change.

There are plenty of important issues regarding sexuality and sexism in gaming and plenty of reasonable points to be made on all sides. None of these issues are being discussed, none of these points are being disseminated.

Instead, the extremes of each side are pointing at individual events which suit their ideology and convincing themselves that (their interpretation of) these events represent anything more than a single occurrence, while seeing the idiotic actions of the opposite extreme and applying that to everyone who disagrees with them.

We've sunk to the level of politicians.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2014, 23:13.

- Quboid

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2014, 22:48 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 15:08:
Seems like a really bad idea to make a change like that.

They needed to update their rendering system because it was tied to physical pixels and assumed a ~92 PPI display, which is finally no longer so prevalent on PCs. This will have involved some pretty major rewrites of the rendering engine's Windows-specific code.

For example, with a fairly high PPI display, you might set Windows to use 150% scaling. In an old program a font 20 pixel high would be rendered by old Windows code at 20 pixels high, and then Windows would upscale it to a 30 pixel high image - inevitably making it blurry. A newer program will call Windows to render the font at 20 pixels and Windows will then seamlessly(-ish) render a crisp 30 pixel high character in the first place.

I presume the visible changes are an unintended side effect and I can't see any reason why added blurriness is anything but a bug. Most text is fine for me but the font in this text area is harder to read

- Quboid

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2014, 21:32 Quboid

Oh good, this stuff in OotB too. And someone self-important shouting at a camera belittling their opponents, that always settles debates. And focusing on one issue, fair enough, he's not making the mistake of assuming that this applies across the board, no. Why would he, he's got Internet commenters to do that for him!

This debate is just two groups of idiots yelling at each other and now I'm one of them.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2014, 21:24 Quboid

Julio wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 17:13:
Quboid wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 09:30:
...while I think you're joking and don't really think this happened, there are people out there who have tricked themselves into believing what to us is a joke

I have zero faith in the journalistic integrity of Kotaku. There has been enough proof of one of their writers having sexual relations with someone he was writing about. And not disclosing that fact.

Kotaku is fine with sweeping it under the rug, I'm not.

Kotaku's a shitty site and not worth visiting for a number of reasons but I don't think this is one.

AFAIK he mentioned her in passing in an article about a failed TV show that was written before their affair started (the man who wrote the blog that blew this open corrected a mistake with the timeline of events). The mentions of her seem entirely appropriate and wasn't positive. I don't know what Grayson should have done, tweeted out "hey guys I'm dating someone who I once mentioned briefly"? Even if the affair had started, while it would have been unprofessional of Grayson, is mentioning someone who you're dating really a big deal? Are there other articles written by him about her? Is there literally anything to suggest any favouritism?

Whatever happened, it's not representative of the industry and yet any time a female developer's game gets a decent review, it seems inevitable that some cretins in the review's comments will reference this - or a convenient version of this that suits their ideology.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2014, 09:30 Quboid

Julio wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 04:58:
I'm not clicking on Kotaku links. I wonder who got laid over there in exchange for writing this article...

As much as I dislike them, you're making me sympathise with Kotaku more and more. It just doesn't make sense for this to have happened that one time, never mind regularly and while I think you're joking and don't really think this happened, there are people out there who have tricked themselves into believing what to us is a joke. Convenience can be very convincing.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2014, 09:39.

- Quboid

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 17:35 Quboid

nin wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:32:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:28:
I'd create a square of small banners at the top, Blue. 2 by 2,

Amazon USA -------- Amazon UK
Amazon Canada ---- Amazon Germany

That way they show up first and are easy to get to for people just doing a quick pop by to get to Amazon through your page, and it's easily subdivided for users of the respective territories.

I like that idea!

Frans could probably whip up something to display the Amazon banner with a region appropriate link that should be reasonably reliable. Judging from the number of hot single women who happen to live where my ISP is based, it's evidently sufficiently accurate for me.

Something like this grid would help too, especially for anyone who doesn't see any banners for ... some reason ... It could be cumbersome if there are eventually dozens of countries listed but that's a bridge for Blue to cross when he comes to it. Really Amazon should sort it out, doing the programme by country must be a pest to numerous web masters.

- Quboid

4502 Comments. 226 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo