Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4879 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode
18. Re: Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode Aug 12, 2015, 17:40 Quboid

I would probably prefer that, Jacobvandy. I did mean "for better or for worse" and while I think that they are objectively quite different, I realise that my personal disappointment is purely subjective. For me, a player maintaining possession (ball at feet) is a fundamental aspect of football, but evidently one that is of a lot more importance to me than to most others.

Perhaps this could be improved (from my perspective) by added a suction cup on the front of vehicles that can keep a loose grip on the ball. If you turn too sharply, you break suddenly, you're hit hard or the ball is hit at all, you lose grip. I think that this would enable players to be more delicate and increase the depth quite a bit with another easy to use, hard to master mechanic.

BTW, by pinball I didn't mean that there was no skill involved; rather that everything involved calculated bouncing. In football, "pinball" usually does refer to aimless bouncing but this wasn't my intention. Sorry if this wasn't clear.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode Aug 12, 2015, 16:30 Quboid

Tom wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 15:24:
What the...? Vehicular pinball? No. It's soccer. How is it not soccer? There's so much opportunity for skill and teamwork in this game. Sure, if you just naively boost into (or past) the ball at every opportunity it may seem like pinball I guess. If you stick with it and get further along the learning curve, I think you'll find it to be vehicular soccer.

Of course, it helps a lot to play it together with some friends on voice. If you only ever play with randoms then I can understand the disillusionment.

The general concept is soccer but it plays quite differently. The lack of ball control, any concept of having the ball at your feet, is the main thing. If you touch the ball, it will bounce of somewhere (hence, pinball) with no ability to keep the ball and dribble or slow the play. The accuracy of passing is also far lower - even if most of those passes were intended, they're a world away from what I do in football and I'm no pro.

It's probably more like ice hockey than football due to the faster pace and the absence of "out of bounds", although ice hockey also has ball at feet "puck at stick" control and accurate passing. I'm not particularly familiar with that sport so I don't suppose this comparison really holds up much better.

- Quboid

12. Re: Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode Aug 12, 2015, 14:48 Quboid

Verno wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 14:06:
Sigh. I feel like you're just interested in debunking any comparisons to soccer for some odd reason rather than Rocket League itself. I suggest you pick it up cheap in a Steam sale and decide for yourself on its merits.

People setup plays, pass and "control" the ball (as much as can be expected from an RC car) all the time. I'm not even terribly good at the game and its a lot of fun, I don't feel uncoordinated or any lack of control after getting through the learning phase either.

I own Rocket League and I'm disappointed with it because I wanted and expected vehicular soccer when I got vehicular pinball. The comparison didn't seem appropriate and I wanted to know if it was just my lack of skill or the nature of the game. It appears to be at least partially the later.

- Quboid

9. Re: Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode Aug 12, 2015, 14:02 Quboid

Verno wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 13:08:
Also if you just randomly watch pubs in almost any game you're going to get chaotic nonsense. If you play with people you know on voice chat its night and day, much like any other game.

There were a bunch of setups in that video, some obvious (FF to 2:35) and others not so depending on familiarity with the game.

The goal by Sadjunior? That looks like it was just knocked goalwards by the recording player with the voice-chat implying that it was a shot ("there you go, finish" as the ball came to the recorder) and Sadjunior was just in the right place to knock it in. The pass up the wall right on 2:35 is nice but didn't seem deliberate. I can't make out the voicechat 100% but it sounds like the recorder asked his teammate to wait, not drive ahead.

The opening seconds is worse. The shot is a fluke, which is fine, but the 2 defenders are all over the place and the last guy (Maddawg) manages to inadvertently drive around the ball.

There's a "knock down" pass at 4:12 which would have been great if intentional but again, the voicechat indicates that this was just knocked down randomly with the "there you go" call happening after the pass is complete (which defeats the purpose of communicating).

There's a complete absence of ball control as a concept. There's no taking or keeping possession of the ball and no dribbling except for knocking the ball ahead of you a bit and going fast.

Speaking of communicating, this is of course far above what I have experienced in this game and it is clearly a big improvement. It's not perfect (the screw-up at 4:44 was harmless but it I would have been livid if those were my team mates in football) but that's to be expected. After all, everyone is somewhat new to Rocket League.

I think that this only has a passing resemblance to soccer but which game is better is a matter of opinion. However, that video has lowered my opinion of Rocket League because I would want people who know what they're doing to look a lot more coherent than that. I can't see RL being a keeper, no pun intended.

- Quboid

5. Re: Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode Aug 12, 2015, 12:26 Quboid

Verno wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 11:35:
gravity wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 11:12:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 12, 2015, 09:11:
I've ended up buying this game and it is a blast playing with the kids in local coop vs the Ai.
Last night I've tried a 1vs1 against the Ai and had my ass handed to me.
Needs more practice. Love the game though. Takes a bit to get a hang of the controls.
It really shows how much I suck when playing in 1 vs 1

I guess I'm curious if the entertainment value 'lasts.' So many recommendations, but will people still play it 6 months from now, ala like how I did with L4D/L4D2 (years later, I still play it with friends).

It's basically soccer with RC cars and a beachball so yeah it will hold up. The gameplay looks pretty simple on the surface but the skill ceiling is insanely high. My brother has gotten really good at aerials and is doing some insane shit that I didn't even know was possible.

Can good players actually pass the ball to a team mate and deliberately build up to a goal? I don't think I've seen anyone neatly play the ball to set up a team mate for another pass or a shot.

It has only a passing resemblance to football, for better or for worse. There clearly is plenty of skill involved but I'm not convinced that there is enough depth to keep it interesting. Even novice football players can control the ball and send it in an approximate direction most of the time. The novice Rocket League that I've seen has just been a disorganised mob trying to knock the ball in the direction of their opponent's goal.

- Quboid

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Beta Keys?
8. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Beta Keys? Aug 10, 2015, 21:53 Quboid

Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 13:12:
Quboid wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 12:30:
It says "Out of keys, Sorry!" now.

You can be added to the waiting list by going here:

http://rainbow6.ubi.com/siege/en-US/beta/index.aspx

Thanks. It's not something I've been keeping an eye on but it's worth a go.

- Quboid

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Beta Keys?
3. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Beta Keys? Aug 10, 2015, 12:30 Quboid

It says "Out of keys, Sorry!" now.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
82. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 21:03 Quboid

Fugazi wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 20:18:
Quboid
Really? How much have you spent and what exactly have you received? Also, why did you have to choose between Star Citizen, Assassin's Creed or COD?

I have diverted monies that may have gone to AC XXX or to COD N+1 to Star Citizen - which is my prerogative. My pledge amount is really none of your business, but I give more to charity than I do to SC if that helps allay your concerns about my money.

It's your money to do with what you want, that's not what I'm getting at. It's the idea that you have already got your money's worth, whatever you spent, that simply confuses me. There is no product, only tech demos and sales pitches. What videos have been made that are worth $0.01?

You weren't forced to choose between CoD, AC and SC, that's a false comparison. All that means is that Star Citizen isn't literally the biggest waste of money you know of.

- Quboid

61. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 14:19 Quboid

Fugazi wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 13:13:
From my perspective, throwing money at a vision is a better use of my funds than buying another iteration of Assassin's Creed and COD. I have also enjoyed the community videos etc. and already feel I have received significant value for my pledge to date.

Really? How much have you spent and what exactly have you received? Also, why did you have to choose between Star Citizen, Assassin's Creed or COD?

- Quboid

31. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 7, 2015, 23:04 Quboid

Why would anyone trust CIG to keep an honest balance with those modules being for sale? As DangerDog says, there will be loads of grinding to make paying to win look more appealing. I wouldn't trust any developer and I'd trust CIG less than most.

I'm really surprised at how blatant and shameless those modules appear to be. That people defend this doesn't surprise me but if I had previously defended Star Citizen, I would now be embarrassed (like many, I've long since dumped all expectations and while I honestly would like to eat my words, this is a train wreak).

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Aug 6, 2015, 23:41 Quboid

If I went into his store at 5 minutes before closing time, I'd probably decline his help because he would either want rid of me as fast as possible or he'd be trying to sell me stuff and neither of those appeal. I also wouldn't feel at all bad about ruffling up some neatly stacked products (to some extent of course) or *gasp* using a changing room because that's how shops work and should I decide not to buy any products, again, that's how shops work, even 30 seconds before closing time. Your plan to knock off early doesn't concern me.

That said, it's my responsibility as a customer to get the hell out by closing time because that's also how shops work.

- Quboid

News Comments > Quote of the Day
5. Re: Quote of the Day Aug 5, 2015, 15:29 Quboid

nin wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 15:19:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 15:17:
I didn't play Destiny but after people complained about his work I went and watched a bunch of vids. I thought his voice work was fine.

His performance wasn't great, but I blame it more on the awkward dialogue than him personally. Some of it was almost George Lucas-worthy...

I'm not sure anyone could make "that wizard came from the moon" sound good.

He sounded like a robot trying to simulate emotions, which AFAIK he basically was.

- Quboid

News Comments > Mad Max Trailer
17. Re: Mad Max Trailer Aug 4, 2015, 17:08 Quboid

SlimRam wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 12:54:
Before taking on Scrotus, reportedly, you have to defeat 'One-Nut-Hangs-Lower-Than-The-Other Larry'. They say the action gets pretty hairy.

I wonder if they'll send in Hung Well, Long Wang and Enormous Genitals!

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2015, 17:13.

- Quboid

News Comments > Toy Soldiers: War Chest Next Month
4. Re: Toy Soldiers: War Chest Next Month Jul 29, 2015, 22:39 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 22:30:
Linthat22 wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 20:54:
Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 19:57:
And we all fall down, like toy soldiers....

Step by step, heart to heart..... Something something something...

Lol, nice one. Didn't think anyone would recognize that.

Eminem sampled it (lifted the whole chorus I think) so it's mainstream now.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
65. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 21:08 Quboid

nin wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 13:11:
Quboid wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 12:36:
TangledThorns wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 11:43:
The outrage over a guy killing a lion versus Planned Parenthood killing and selling baby parts is truly outrageous.

But how does it compare to climate change, GamerGate, gay rights, attempting to derail a discussion, gun control, or public health care? They're as bad as the Nazis, whoever it is we're disagreeing with.

Well done! I give that 5 out of 5 Hitler mustaches.

/:=====|

In trying to highlight how awkward and inflammatory the original comparison was, I've actually gone and started a discussion. That was naive of me!

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2015, 12:36 Quboid

TangledThorns wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 11:43:
The outrage over a guy killing a lion versus Planned Parenthood killing and selling baby parts is truly outrageous.

But how does it compare to climate change, GamerGate, gay rights, attempting to derail a discussion, gun control, or public health care? They're as bad as the Nazis, whoever it is we're disagreeing with.

- Quboid

News Comments > Mafia 3 Confirmed: Full Reveal Next Week
21. Re: Mafia 3 Confirmed: Full Reveal Next Week Jul 28, 2015, 16:02 Quboid

Mafia is to Grand Theft Auto what The Witcher is to The Elder Scrolls, a mature take on the same basic premise. I'll keep an eye on this one.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
46. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 22:29 Quboid

I turned ABP off for Bluesnews but Ghostery promptly blocked everything and looking through, there was a lot of trackers and third party stuff so I left most of that blocked. I have enabled the Amazon ads as they don't appear to tie in any extra stuff but it's likely that Blue doesn't get paid for showing those ads; only if we actually buy something.

Patreon plus guilt free ad blocking would be ideal IMHO. I'm sure a few bucks a month would be worth more than my potential ad views.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC
41. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC Jul 20, 2015, 10:13 Quboid

Pr()ZaC wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 09:16:
Redmask wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 07:15:
ForgedReality wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 22:05:

Yeah I was fine with the way it was before. I enabled the alternate mode and didn't notice anything different. Can someone point it out for me? Maybe I just play differently than everyone else or something, somehow.

It's very noticeable with a gamepad, he previously moved in an absurd manner. Full acceleration, no real jog into it and spun around on a dime. The alternate move system is a big improvement.
Something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4SX-vdTgMM

Thanks, I was hoping to see a comparison. That looks better.

- Quboid

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
3. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 17, 2015, 19:47 Quboid

The city at the end is interesting, I hope that is seamless and isn't blocked up like Fallout 3 or tiny like Fallout New Vegas.

This is presumably the Xbox version so I'm not surprised to see or worried by console stuff like the interaction prompts.

- Quboid

4879 Comments. 244 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo