Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4388 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 12:55 Quboid

GamerGate is basically a protest and like every protest ever, the media pays attention to the extremists. Look at any G8 protest or whatever, when violence kicks off where are the cameras pointed?

The legitimate points (IMHO) in GamerGate are being drowned out or even tainted by a large volume of nonsense and I think GamerGate is bad for gamers as a result. This will always be seen as the protest group who are closed minded, who exert pressure on advertisers to shut down and censor opinions they don't like, who threaten women in gaming.

It shouldn't be like this? Well, I agree it shouldn't, but it is. The world doesn't stop and look at issues in detail and I'm not generalising when I say that everyone generalises.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 12:28 Quboid

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 09:26:
"How dare he put his own world-view and issues in the way of the review? But thatís exactly what he should be doing."

No, it isn't.

Too many reviewers are using reviews as soapboxes instead of just presenting the facts and letting readers make up their own minds: http://tinyurl.com/l8puses

Reviews should be opinions, for a list of facts you can go to Wikipedia. Both the MCV article and the Dual Shockers article (what's with the tinyurl?) acknowledge this but the DS article goes on to talk about going from opinions to preaching, from reviewing to editorialising.

It is a mistake to have someone who thinks that Bayonetta 2 is overly sexualised write the review for it in the first place. Their opinion is clearly going to be different to that of virtually everyone who is interested in it so their perspective is largely irrelevant. Was this a surprise to them? Did they think it claims otherwise and that the people had a right to know the horrible truth? No chance.

How much value is there in someone who doesn't like RTS games reviewing Stronghold Crusaders 2? Some, certainly, there will be non-RTS fans wondering if maybe this will be the exception. But not a lot, because the vast majority of people looking for a review will be RTS fans and probably Stronghold fans. "Highly sexualised" isn't really a genre but in this regard I think it is comparable.

I mostly agree with that Dual Shockers article but this really undermines their point:
When you see games with extremely high production values like Destiny being slapped with a 4 or a 5, itís obvious that the reviewer is completely ignoring the objectively positive aspects of the title, and is replacing them with spite and misinformation in order to punish the developer for having released something that didnít match his personal expectations.

A highly polished turd is still a turd. I don't know about Destiny but I think it is silly to dismiss negative reviews because this author thinks that things like nice graphics can make an awful game good. I agree to some extent but to criticise reviewers for not thinking this way is to punish reviewers for having written something that didn't match his personal expectations.

- Quboid

16. Re: Game Reviews Oct 14, 2014, 16:38 Quboid

The average game probably is shallow entertainment, but then so is the average film, book or T.V. series. I think the only thing that will truly cause games to be seen in the same light is time. I think games are seen as much more "normal" now than in 1997 and it will get better.

Not all websites keep advertising and editorial divisions separate. This is clearly not representative of these sites but I wonder how much less explicit pressure is applied. I suspect a lot, but I don't imagine things were much different in 1997 or are any better amongst YouTubers.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
35. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 12, 2014, 20:24 Quboid

Sarcasm is a stupid way to make a point and he should know better but that's not representative of his posts. If it was, contrarian wouldn't be anyone's choice of word.  

- Quboid

33. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 12, 2014, 14:40 Quboid

What do you mean by "directly control the conversation"?

I say he's usually right because he argues an objective point with reasoned logic and cites sources proving his point, typically against people who think game publishers are like Bond villains - people so biased, they see anything other than absolutely condemnation of publishers as a sign of bias.

He'd be doing us all a discredit if he half-assed complicated issues with short answers, or if he abandoned a discussion because he didn't quickly change his mind.

- Quboid

31. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 12, 2014, 12:33 Quboid

nin wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 12:09:
Quboid wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 09:07:
nin, I thought you were smarter. Beamer doesn't pick the opposite, Beamer points out when people get lost in their own circle-jerk and 95% of the people who moan at him fail to understand his point.

Beamer's point ("goal" actually) is for everyone to talk to Beamer. He is a classic example of a contrarian, begging for your attention.

I really don't think he is. He calls out things that he thinks are wrong and then backs up his assertions. What's wrong with that? Should people not respond when counter-challenged? I certainly don't want this board to be people wallowing in ignorance and that does happen quite often. It helps that, in objective matters at least, he tends to be right.

I've seen people being incredibly contrarian to him, is this why? Do people assume he's being contrarian and therefore automatically disagree with him without seeing the irony?

- Quboid

29. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 12, 2014, 09:07 Quboid

William Usher wrote on Oct 11, 2014, 15:00:
Beamer wrote on Oct 11, 2014, 14:40:
And, its worth pointing out, that list of devs interviewed was culled from 4chan and includes a guy that wrote an article defending rape and a fit that was in chat rooms encouraging ways to get Zoe Quinn to commit suicide.

But it's about ethics!

Why are you always bringing her up?

Are you kidding me?!

This whole bullshit was called Quinnspiracy. Now mentioning her is deflecting from the subject?

NKD, parts of every side of every debate ever has done this. It is human nature and it is wrong to suggest that these developers are the first to do this or they do this more than anyone else. It is impossible for these developers to have a debate with any of us because some fool will start throwing labels like "SJW" around and the whole debate is ruined.

nin, I thought you were smarter. Beamer doesn't pick the opposite, Beamer points out when people get lost in their own circle-jerk and 95% of the people who moan at him fail to understand his point.

Two groups of overly sensitive crusaders, and gaming's low point.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2014, 10:45.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
11. Re: Saturday Mobilization Oct 11, 2014, 23:59 Quboid

I check mine quite often. Mostly to look at the time, and I'll do a quick scan of the notification bar to see if I've missed anything. I also use my phone a fair bit to read columns, catch up on Twitter or play a quick game of Sudoku or something. This could add up to 40 times a day easily and this is without counting any prolonged call/text/etc communication - which varies hugely from day to day but can result in a hundred checks in a day.

Wonderful inventions, smartphones, or rather a series of wonderful inventions. A genuinely life changing, life improving technology. They're clearly not for everybody but I feel naked without mine.

- Quboid

News Comments > Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin
36. Re: Dragon Age - Origins Free on Origin Oct 9, 2014, 09:25 Quboid

I've never played this before so I don't own any of the DLC anywhere - and they all cost me Bioware Points. Return to Ostagar costs 400 points, which in turn costs £3.00.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday
50. Re: Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday Oct 8, 2014, 14:53 Quboid

nin wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 14:42:
Bundy wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 14:37:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 14:25:
Bundy wrote on Oct 8, 2014, 14:21:
seriously, the audio for warping in ED.... it'll give you the chills, especially when you come out.
Yep, it kicks ass
So is the gameplay, I don't think youtube videos give it justice.

I'm getting better, but I still suck pretty hard at combat in ED. For people who've never played ED, you're in for a big change if your only comparison is Freespace and the old Tie Fighter games. Yaw and Pitch speeds are slow, especially Yaw. Pitch has a sweet spot at 50% thrust speed, so in a dogfight u wanna slow down to that to do a quick turn, not down to 0% like the old space sims. So you'll want to roll and pitch, not yaw. And even then the pitch speed is pretty sluggish. It takes some getting used to, and I'm far from being proficient at combat in ED.

Yeah, I was watching that dogfighting video someone posted the other day and my first through was "I wish I could fly like that."

I'm relatively poor at space combat because I think like an aeroplane pilot - roll and pitch, not yaw. Is this how ED works, like flying a fixed wing aircraft? What video are you referring to, the 30 minute one ("Some bounty hunting" was SpectralMeat's link text 4 days ago)?

That £15 Arithon mentioned, that is to convert a pre-order to early access? I first read that as the whole purchase for £15 and was about to go scrambling to their website.

It used to be that Star Citizen discussion would overflow into ED threads on hype. Now ED overflows into Star Citizen on merit. I prefer this way

- Quboid

News Comments > Space Rogue Announced
6. Re: Space Rogue Announced Oct 7, 2014, 21:23 Quboid

Planet landing Ė you'll be able to land on mysterious uncharted worlds.

I conquer.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Oct 7, 2014, 14:08 Quboid

J wrote on Oct 7, 2014, 05:51:
Too much content? I'm looking for more I'm loving Prison Architect.

It's not often a problem!

Loads of content is fine, I'm a bit worried that it might become a mess of micromanaging if they don't handle it correctly. Having to deal with power and water and guard areas and tunnels and schedules and research and so on - it could become too fiddly to keep on top of everything.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Oct 6, 2014, 20:47 Quboid

That's a good price for Prison Architect if you're into the whole E.A. thing. It's shaping up well but my concern is that it's got too much content - it seems a bit overwhelming right now. Better this than too shallow of course, but I hope they can keep it tight.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation
15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation Oct 6, 2014, 20:44 Quboid

How scripted is the alien? I've heard reports of it feeling less like you're being stalked by it and more like you're passing through script triggers. I'm more prone to seeing through this sort of thing than most people and I think this could break immersion for me if it's not done right.  

- Quboid

4. Re: Game Reviews Oct 5, 2014, 15:12 Quboid

I quite like their approach, they inform without preaching from what I've seen. I haven't seen a lot of scorn, although that depends on what constitutes scorn - NKD's comment didn't look mean-spirited to me but it's easier to say that when it's not your belief. I think I've poked fun at them in the past but I certainly didn't intend offense.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 13:25 Quboid

NKD wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 13:11:
Quboid wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 12:49:
Are any of you guys who are enjoying ME:SoM using KB&M? I don't like using my controller with third person games and the Batman series didn't 'feel' quite right with KB&M.

I'm using keyboard and mouse. Feels very responsive compared to Batman, at least to me.

Good. Any mouse smoothing, acceleration or other port symptoms?

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 12:49 Quboid

Are any of you guys who are enjoying ME:SoM using KB&M? I don't like using my controller with third person games and the Batman series didn't 'feel' quite right with KB&M.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
55. Re: Ships Ahoy - Watch Dogs; First Reviews Oct 3, 2014, 21:42 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 10:36:
InBlack wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 10:15:
Your math is all fubared Beamer. Why do they need to generate 2.5 Bil in profits?? Making 4.5 Billion dollars from Oculus seems far fetched in the extreme. Since when do you need to return 150% of your original investment to be considered a success? If things worked like that in the real world we wouldnt have investment. Or gambling for that matter.

Huh?
Why wouldn't it be profit? The Oculus Rift costs money to manufacture, so that goes on top of the $2.5 billion. Otherwise, they could just sell 2.5 billion of them for $1 apiece and call it a win?

Of course not. It cost them $2.5 billion for the company. It will probably cost them $300-$400 per unit to manufacture. It's only the money on top of the manufacturing costs (and marketing costs, and additional R&D costs, and whatever other costs) that counts back to that $2.5 billion.

If you pay Disney $1,000,000 to license the Star Wars name, spend $5,000,000 creating toys, and sell $1,000,000 worth of toys, do you consider that a success? Of course not, you made back the licensing fees but are still deep in the hole on the cost to make the actual product.

I think you guys are looking at profit in different terms.

Beamer is referring to profit on units sold, i.e. profit after manufacturing costs, distribution, etc; as well as profit from whatever related monetisation Facebook have planned.

InBlack is referring to profit on the whole investment, the money Facebook takes home once their costs have been met, if ever.

Beamer doesn't mean that they need to make $2.5B profit after the $2B purchase has been recouped. He means that they need to make $2.5B profit ($2B to buy OR, reportedly another $0.5B invested in it) to start making an overall profit.

(I hope that's right, otherwise I'm just muddying the waters even more.)

- Quboid

6. Re: Game Reviews Oct 2, 2014, 16:45 Quboid

I agree with the general point that Civ:BE probably won't be very good science fiction, it's just the specific comparison that he draws in that article and takes further in the related article which seems off to me. I'd like SMAC2, a lot more than a sci-fi Civ V mod, but I won't beat Firaxis with a comparison that they've made reasonable efforts to avoid.  

- Quboid

3. Re: Game Reviews Oct 2, 2014, 13:39 Quboid

That article is written on the assumption that Civ:BE is trying to be SMAC based on a quote that it's a serious setting and the author's other piece (linked to at start of article) goes as far as describing SMAC as Civ:BE's predecessor.

This seems unfair to Firaxis and Civ:BE. He says that Firaxis want the comparison when it suits them and not when it doesn't but I don't know what we can expect from Firaxis other than them to repeatedly say that it's not SMAC2. Are they banned from making a serious sci-fi game unless it is a sequel to SMAC?

If they had called it SMAC2 and then produced a simpler game with more mainstream appeal then they'd be trying to cash in on nostalgia while screwing nostalgic gamers and I'd agree but AFAIK this isn't like Thief.

- Quboid

4388 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo