Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4591 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans
46. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 19:11 Quboid

How good is the mouse handling with XIM4 and things like that? Console games ported to Windows frequently have poor mouse handling and that's with proper mouse support throughout the OS and player base.

I can't think of a better way to play an FPS from a couch than with a controller, although I'm too used to KB&M to play this way. There are some fold-out things that make using KB&M more practical, I don't know if these are much good.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 16:29 Quboid

A subscription service could work IMHO if it was entirely optional. Things like easy consumer support, cloud storage, additional security controls (something like MSE would still be free, so they look like security is a priority), extra email space, Skype credit, maybe Office and Xbox Live membership too.

Something that inexperienced users who just want their computer to work will be happy to pay for, while more experienced users can ignore while still using Windows for things like work, development, gaming, and the other things that drive future inexperienced, paying customers.

- Quboid

News Comments > John Romero Plays DOOM; Spills Beans
7. Re: John Romero Plays DOOM; Spills Beans Jan 21, 2015, 15:11 Quboid

Suckage wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 13:48:
It's a fun ride... but the verbal tics are driving me insane. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yep. Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yep yeah they sure are yep yeah yeah.

It really shows that interviewing isn't his day job. Please shut up and let the subject talk!

Still, it's very interesting and I'd like to see the same for Quake.

- Quboid

12. Re: Free Windows 10 Upgrade Plans Jan 21, 2015, 15:03 Quboid

I presume that there aren't subscription fees or anything else after the first year; this just means that it won't be free for people upgrading later. I think there could be a subscription service for Windows which may be a better option for them than upfront sales, but it would absolutely have to be completely optional.

If so, this is a good idea IMHO. While I quite like Windows 8, it deserved to have low uptake with their "you WILL want this" philosophy to the abominable Modern UI, and with challenges from iOS and Android they can take less for granted than ever.

- Quboid

News Comments > Theme Hospital Free on Origin
12. Re: Theme Hospital Free on Origin Jan 21, 2015, 09:49 Quboid

ItBurn wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 03:37:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 21, 2015, 03:28:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 19:01:
Shame it's on Origin.

They should change their slogan (do they have one?) to "Origin. Not Even Once."

Aside from it not being Steam what's wrong with Origin?

Nothing. It's not as good as Steam, but who can be? Steam has had a lot more time to better itself. People need to realize that we need Steam competitors if we want to keep seeing good prices.

Agreed, any annoyance I feel at a game not being on Steam is immediately countered by remembering that no service should be so indispensable. If I'm annoyed, it's only because I'm too reliant on Steam and that's not good for me or for PC gaming in general.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2015, 22:09 Quboid

nin wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 21:27:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 21:20:
wtf Chrome....One tab = 3 processes? Really?

Had one at work the other day where, upon login, chrome.exe ran like 8-10 times...no idea what it was doing.

There's a task manager built in, press Shift+Esc (or right-click on a blank part of the tab bar and click on it).

Each extension and plugin appears to get its own process, I presume so that it can't crash or compromise the rest of Chrome.

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
27. Re: Into the Black Jan 20, 2015, 17:21 Quboid

Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 00:58:
And obviously I refuse to log my Steam credentials into some unknown website (And I pity the poor suckers who do.)

It uses Steam's open ID system so it should be as secure as the rest of Steam.

From steamcommunity.com (Valve's site, not SteamLeft's):
By signing in through Steam, steamleft.com will be able to identify you within the Steam Community and retrieve your public gameplay information (such as stats and achievements).
Steam will not reveal your username or password to this site, rather a unique numeric identifier will be shared. You should never enter your Steam login credentials into a third party website!

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 19, 2015, 22:17 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 20:17:
Insecure like image issues? Daddy issues? Depression? Identity issues? I am confused....

Maybe their dongles are smaller than their competitors'.

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
10. Re: Into the Black Jan 19, 2015, 19:22 Quboid

Quboid
It would take you...
3740 continuous hours
155 days,20 hours,5 minutes
of gameplay to complete your Steam library

I'd better get cracking!

- Quboid

News Comments > Sid Meier's Starships Announced
18. Re: Sid Meier's Starships Announced Jan 19, 2015, 14:50 Quboid

grudgebearer wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 13:01:
Cutter wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 12:40:
grudgebearer wrote on Jan 19, 2015, 12:27:
Not buying any Firaxis game until after first real patch. I learned my lesson with Beyond Earth.

More like a few years and a couple of expansions.

May end up that way, but at least by the first patch there will be enough hands on reviews and such to know if there's any initial worth there.

I wouldn't apply the usual Firaxis rules here, the tablet release means it is unlikely to be anything like as deep as Civilization (and that's hardly particularly deep). This hopefully means it will be in better condition upon release, but also that it may never get any additional depth through expansion packs like Civ has so it remains mobile friendly.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sid Meier's Starships Announced
8. Re: Sid Meier's Starships Announced Jan 19, 2015, 12:11 Quboid

It looks quite like GalCiv in this screenshot although the crew indicator at the bottom-left along with the name implies that you control a ship rather than a civilisation, or perhaps control a civilisation with your ship being a hero unit. It probably is Pirates! in space.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
98. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 21:31 Quboid

Thanks Verno, although I'm not standing up for anything. It's a shame but I don't think this warrants a boycott and I will buy GTA5 once it plays well - i.e. hopefully a few hours after release.

The reaction to this is really rather unexpected. I didn't think anybody would make the argument that removing content is fine because we can just pay for it again so I assumed "download" meant piracy. I was wrong to assume that because "and you pay for them too!" is actually being said as if it is a good thing and I did not see that coming.

- Quboid

85. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 10:46 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 10:17:
Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 09:25:
How have I moved the goal posts? The principle is that they sold me something and then took it away. That has always been my objection, my mysterious sense of entitlement to something that I am entitled to.

"If you think you understand license agreements" - read the part of my post which you removed from the quote which specifically addresses this.

There's nothing wrong with your complaint or attitude to be honest, I wouldn't give his post much thought. Being told to pirate some music to satisfy an unauthorized content removal in a video game is fucking hilarious.

My mild disapproval of Rockstar's handling of this seems to be terribly upsetting to some people.

"I'm surprised Blue hasn't been deleting posts advocating piracy, as he used to."
Literally 5 minutes later:
"As I've already stated...download the song"

OK buddy...

- Quboid

81. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 09:25 Quboid

How have I moved the goal posts? The principle is that they sold me something and then took it away. That has always been my objection, my mysterious sense of entitlement to something that I am entitled to.

"If you think you understand license agreements" - read the part of my post which you removed from the quote which specifically addresses this.

- Quboid

79. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 08:52 Quboid

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 00:38:
Wait. People are really upset about Rockstar removing a few licensed songs from GTA? Songs you can download and add to your own playlist in fucking seconds. If we were in the early 1990s you might have a reason to complain. To those people is this a thought that ever crossed your minds? I'm dying to see how you dismiss it. If you can be here right now to type out another stupid post you can reacquire those precious songs with at least the same amount of effort.

It's not the songs that matter, it's the principle of them taking something away that I have paid for. What if the next thing they take away is part of the game map? Perhaps a car or two?

Rockstar got this wrong and all the other details are irrelevant. License deal expired? They shouldn't have signed it. Limitation placed by rights holder? They shouldn't have signed it. Legally required to remove the songs now? They shouldn't have signed that deal in the first place. Releasing it on new platforms? They shouldn't have signed the deal that would affect people who had already paid in the first place. Impossible to broker a deal which lasts (despite apparently managing it for most of the music)? They shouldn't have sold content that they didn't have the right to sell in the first place.

FWIW, I absolutely do feel a sense of entitlement here - because I paid for it.

- Quboid

65. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 22:32 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 21:43:
try and explain yourself

Very well, I don't wish to duck any awkward questions so I will explain.

- They sold something.
- They took part of it away.
- Whatever the reason, it was their decisions that led to it.

I hope that's clear. Now you can go back to answering insults with insults, because you wouldn't want to be childish.

- Quboid

61. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 20:50 Quboid

Krovven, you have repeatedly been insulting and abusive to both me and others so I don't wish to discuss this topic with you.

NamecaF, your TL;DR needs a TL;DR

- Quboid

56. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 18:33 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 18:00:
As for San Andreas. Those bitching about the tracks being removed...who cares? And I'm sure you aren't still playing SA. Who still listens to the same ingame music 11 years later? I stopped listening to the ingame music about a week after I started playing it. Guaranteed you couldn't tell me what they were without looking them up. Do you understand why they were removed? If not, stop being a dumb ignorant fuck and look it up. Download the songs again and put them in the mp3 folder. Problem solved.

Running Down A Dream by Tom Petty.

I haven't played it for ages and I'm not likely to. That's not the point, it shows their recent form for how they respect their customers and that's the best indication of how they'll treat us next. I don't know why they were removed, I presume some licensing deal expired, but I don't really care. Whatever the reason, they shouldn't have let this come to pass and even if the mistake was 11 years ago, they should have repaired it before customers could be affected.

I own that MP3 but if I didn't, paying for the content again or pirating it aren't adequate options.

I don't consider this to be a particularly big deal and it won't stop me from buying GTA5 but it's blot on their copybook.

- Quboid

News Comments > H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology
17. Re: H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology Jan 17, 2015, 16:38 Quboid

Neilsouth wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 15:32:
REFUNDS ENDS MONDAY

If you want to get a refund through Steam for H1Z1, "Go to your Account Details >> Store Transactions and there will be a "Request a refund" underneath the total cost for H1Z1. Click that and it should refund the cost of the game into your steam wallet."

Valve supposedly have a policy of allowing one return per account except on exceptions that they authorise. I don't know if this is true but if so and SOE want to handle the refunds themselves, perhaps this will count as your one.

- Quboid

News Comments > Hatred Earns AO Rating
29. Re: Hatred Earns AO Rating Jan 17, 2015, 14:12 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 13:42:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 13:37:
What part about "has a right to exist" do you not understand?

Everyone will keep painting me as an sjw trying to ban things because they don't read. I swear that's half of the games community now - people thinking being critical is the same as trying to ban, even when the opposite is explicitly stated.

I wondered why so many people had such a problem understanding the difference between not liking something and wanting it banned. This post from a previous Hatred thread is illuminating (emphasis mine):

Flatline wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 16:58:
Dude, there are at least half a dozen posts in this thread where people are saying this "crosses the line" or "pushes the boundary" or is "going too far".

No, nobody is saying "CENSOR ALL THE THINGS" verbatim but they're using language that certain things like this game shouldn't be allowed. It's disingenuous to pretend that it isn't a passive-aggressive call for censorship.

That's not HorrorScope but I wonder if he would agree that this criticism is a passive-aggressive call for censorship. As I commented on that thread, I absolutely do not agree.

(edit: Just noticed that this post was also in reply to Beamer. You sure can pick 'em, Mr. BMW.)

- Quboid

4591 Comments. 230 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo