Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4449 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute
7. Re: Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute Aug 29, 2014, 12:29 Quboid

Good. It was only a matter of time but it should not have taken this long. I know how complicated it is to say when a game is broken but Valve has increasingly been profiting from selling junk and are seemingly happy to hide behind this vagueness.

Given the Australian government's apparent opinion of computer gaming (just a children's activity) I am surprised they are leading the way. If Valve pulled out of Australia, how long would it be until a larger market followed suit?

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes)
17. Re: Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes) Aug 28, 2014, 19:52 Quboid

Slick wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 05:01:
Quboid wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:48:
Rhino wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:39:
Aside from the lack of review copies being sent out, which is never a good sign, there is also this:

http://ts4news.com/post/94541924952/89-features-missing-from-the-sims-4

Some of them aren't terribly noteworthy (no acne, as an example); but some of the others are eye catching to me.

There is some important stuff, what the hell are they doing? Taking cues from SimCity 2013? If they've scaled back the game world and increased the system requirements, I wonder what has been added that's using the excess power.

LOL what "excess power"? i'm pretty sure my wristwatch can play this. also WTF is an "Athalon X4?" Sims 4, looks just like Sims 2 except now harnessing the awesome power of DX9.

And Simcity 2013 did have it's issues with always-online, but that game actually had some cool stuff going on, it actually feels like the simulation is alive. But there's literally nothing i can get excited about for Sims 4, and I've been playing them since the first iteration of the series, shit I've been playing maxis games since the OG simcity.

The Sims 3 (minimum):
2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
1.5 GB RAM
128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

The Sims 4 (recommended):
Intel core i5 or AMD Athlon X4
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 650 or better

That power excess.

SimCity 2013 was a disaster. Glassbox is very pretty and perhaps some aspects of it can be salvaged but the whole agent system was just woeful and completely sunk the game for me. I didn't feel that it was alive, I felt that it was horribly transparent and shallow. SimCity 4 felt more alive, as people actually lived in one place, and remains a much, much better city builder. I was optimistic for SimCity 2013 (and if you recall, I was one of the few people on threads pre-release who didn't jump on you for positivity) but it's a train wreak and stands as my personal worst game of all time.

- Quboid

News Comments > Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games
20. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 28, 2014, 19:40 Quboid

As Orogogus says, they charge what each market will bear according to their calculations. No market is propping up another, the point of regional pricing is so that products are priced in each market in such a way so as to maximise the profits from that market. They don't make a profit of $X, they make a profit of $X x Sales and if X = $60 in Russia, Sales = Sod All. If X = $15 in US, Sales = Big, but not 4 times as big as if X = $60.

Some of it seems scummy. Countries with roughly equivalent standards of living should have equivalent prices, so NA, western EU, Australia and such like should be priced equally IMHO. I think VAT (20%) is applied to purchases from GOG/Steam/etc which does legitimately push up UK prices compared to US ones and YMMV around the world but significantly different prices do make me feel gouged. Why is Elder Scrolls Online 27.65% cheaper in the US than the UK?

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Aug 27, 2014, 21:52 Quboid

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 21:19:
Yeah, thanks Ant.

Perfect. I just ... no.

- Quboid

News Comments > Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games
5. Re: Last Chance at Some GOG.com Games Aug 27, 2014, 21:50 Quboid

I agree it seems odd, leaving their roots behind. By the looks of it they have had some problem with Nordic Games, I checked about half the games at random and this name shows up every time.

Edit: Whiskers, master ninja.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes)
2. Re: Sims 4 Specs (and Pancakes) Aug 27, 2014, 20:48 Quboid

Rhino wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:39:
Aside from the lack of review copies being sent out, which is never a good sign, there is also this:

http://ts4news.com/post/94541924952/89-features-missing-from-the-sims-4

Some of them aren't terribly noteworthy (no acne, as an example); but some of the others are eye catching to me.

There is some important stuff, what the hell are they doing? Taking cues from SimCity 2013? If they've scaled back the game world and increased the system requirements, I wonder what has been added that's using the excess power.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs
14. Re: Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs Aug 27, 2014, 16:18 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 14:28:
Quboid wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 12:52:
So who's going to be the killjoy who points out that these are installed upon first running a game and not the game's installation? I bet that joyless prick is fun at parties.

You, apparently, haha.

*gasp* What have I done?!

Evilgrin

I regret nothing!

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs
10. Re: Steam Allows Multiple Game Installs Aug 27, 2014, 12:52 Quboid

So who's going to be the killjoy who points out that these are installed upon first running a game and not the game's installation? I bet that joyless prick is fun at parties.  

- Quboid

News Comments > EA's $1B DLC Goal
12. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 26, 2014, 21:15 Quboid

Slick wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 20:53:
has anyone here confirmed what they're trying to sell on the side? have they gimped the full releases?

In FIFA (EA's football game, as opposed to Madden which is their football game) there is a sort of club management mode called Ultimate Team, in which you build up a team from scratch. I expect there will be something similar in Madden.

You recruit players and gain items (player injury cures, contracts, etc) through a sort of card collecting system. The more in-game currency you spend, the better card packs you can buy with rarer cards, i.e. better players. As you might expect, you don't get enough gold from playing matches to progress satisfactorily - but happily you can spend real money to top up your account. Yay!

I avoid this game mode, as I avoid everything in which a developer has a financial incentive to make their game worse.

- Quboid

News Comments > FIFA 15 Ban Warning
3. Re: FIFA 15 Ban Warning Aug 23, 2014, 17:25 Quboid

Overon wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 17:00:
I thought this was a soccer game. What the hell are virtual coins?

In-game currency for the main game mode they're pushing, a micro-transaction laden management mode. For some reason, EA think that people who spend 40 a year on new versions that have so little new content Call of Duty would blush are ripe for exploitation.

I've bought one of FIFA or Pro Evo Soccer every year for over a decade and although I virtually never preorder games, I've already preordered FIFA 15. I don't even know what it claims is new this year, I just know that resistance is futile. I get very good value from every edition so I don't mind too much, mind you there's no sodding way I'm getting involved in pay-to-win bullshit.

- Quboid

News Comments > Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming
15. Re: Phil Fish Re-Quits Gaming Aug 22, 2014, 16:22 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 16:02:
SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 15:57:
"leader of 4chan.org and Anonymous"? Yeah. That sounds believable.
It seem legit

That's so lame, it's actually hard to believe that he would write this if he was faking this. You'd think he'd put some effort in.

I've no idea who is behind this but either way, I won't miss Phil Fish if he even goes and stays away. He seems to have a combination of arrogance and ultra thin skin that makes him utterly unsuited to any public scrutiny. Derek Smart is probably a comparable bellend, although he was more angry than whiny.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Aug 22, 2014, 13:39 Quboid

I've never felt comfortable driving sims with a wheel and I'm in the catch-22 position of not having sufficient want or need to buy wheel to spend enough time with one to get used to it and therefore want or need it. I did have a Logitech MOMO wheel but it didn't really fit my desk properly (I have a slide-out tray under the desk where a wheel would clip on) and I broke one of its clamps trying to get it steady.

Since then I've learnt to drive properly so using a wheel might come more naturally. However I thought this might be the case with manual gearboxes, another racing game/sim feature that I could never get the hang of, but years of driving a manual car hasn't helped me judge when to shift in game.

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Aug 21, 2014, 22:19 Quboid

Oh the sexting service. Yeah, we're old.  

- Quboid

4. Re: Into the Black Aug 21, 2014, 22:01 Quboid

That's Reddit. What's the yellow one with the Pac-Man ghost?  

- Quboid

2. Re: Into the Black Aug 21, 2014, 20:06 Quboid

So I guess WhatsApp is a pretty big deal now. Damn kids, what was wrong with a letter in the mail?  

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 21, 2014, 19:47 Quboid

Which is better for a road racing simulator, an Xbox 360 gamepad or a midrange single stick joystick (Madcatz Fly5)?

Which is nicer to use is very subjective but I wonder if one has been proven to be better, like how whether keyboard/mouse or gamepad is nicer for an FPS is subjective but the gamepad player will objectively get slaughtered.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Preorder Bonus
8. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Preorder Bonus Aug 21, 2014, 09:21 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 06:48:
I skipped the last civilization, but as a hardcore Sci-Fi fan as well as a fan of the original Alpha-Centauri Im most probably getting this is soon as its released and Ive read some word-of mouth reviews. I have little doubt that its going to be a fine game, but in today's day and age of, its better to be safe than sorry. So, no preorder for me.

The assumption seems to be that this is Civ V meets Alpha Centauri. I hope so, having loved both those games, but that seems like a risky assumption to make and I'm not going to preorder either. I expect it will be like Civ V but there's no guarantee that it will be like SMAC aside from the general setting.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc., etc.
26. Re: etc., etc. Aug 20, 2014, 14:24 Quboid

There are gaming journalists who own the site they work for. The likes of Blue and TotalBiscuit aren't journalists but they do have contacts and I trust them to not be bought in who/how they cover titles.

I think GiantBomb was set up precisely to avoid this bullshit, after one of their founders had been fired from GameSpot for reasons that definitely did not include giving a shitty game a shitty review when said shitty game was advertised all over GameSpot. That doesn't mean they're unbuyable of course.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2014, 14:45.

- Quboid

News Comments > Metro 2033/Redux Comparison
7. Re: Metro 2033/Redux Comparison Aug 20, 2014, 11:07 Quboid

The differences go beyond graphical and I can see that Last Light's improved stealth system would make 2033 more enjoyable. YouTube doesn't do this any favours either, after its compression any texture upgrades will be lost. Still, without the labels I wouldn't know which version 95% of this is from either and at 4:40, the non-redux version looks better - again, I blame YouTube for making Redux's fancy weather effects just look like poor view distance.

I quite like what they're doing with these. If they're making a new-gen console version, it would suck to not apply upgrades to the PC version and I can see how this goes beyond a mere patch. It's a shame they're pricing these so highly and a 50% discount on Last Light Redux for someone who owns Light Light and all its DLC is really poor value.

I could see myself buying these in a sale when I next upgrade my graphics card. If they were discounted by 50% on top of the 50% discount of existing owners, 2033 Redux would be good value. Last Light is one of the few games in the last decade to actually make me stop and marvel at the graphics, and this was in an dingy underground watermill, so I could be persuaded to part with a few quid before playing that again.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2014, 19:12.

- Quboid

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
43. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 20:15 Quboid

I've recently been replaying Crysis and it holds up really well. Parts of it reminded me of Far Cry 3, like as I prepared to attack an enemy base. I've got nearly as far as the aliens so, eeeeh, I think I'm done with that. It looks very nice, as I can now turn on most of the effects at a resolution above what its UI allowed for.

I think they made good games which were also good tech demos. Far Cry had unusually large open levels with varied combat and although Crysis was more linear it added destruction and the nano-suit, which is a neat feature IMHO. Being charitable, for what it tried to be Crysis 2 was quite good and Crysis 3 looked like much the same - which is why I never bought it.

Each game, Far Cry, Crysis, C2, and from second hand experience C3 and Ryse has had less open level design, fewer options and less fun. Far Cry 2 and 3 have gone the opposite route and the franchise is stronger than ever. Also, no stupid aliens.

Did anyone else try X-Isle, their dinosaur themed tech demo from a few years before Far Cry was released? IIRC it *gasp* required a Geforce 3 and when I got one, oh man that was beautiful!

- Quboid

4449 Comments. 223 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo