Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3920 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms Announced
3. Re: Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms Announced Feb 27, 2014, 19:12 Quboid

Argh, an embedded YouTube video on the main page! It's a sign of the apocalypse!  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 16:04 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 15:35:
Looks like this one got missed....

Scania Truck Driving Simulator

Didn't even know this was in the works. Only 1 review for it so far and it's quite positive. I wonder if this is idicative of the upcoming 1.9 patch for ETS2. Media looks pretty sweet. I'll be grabbing this soon. Meantime Creston should take the plunge first and let us know.

That was released in 2012, a few months before ETS2 by the looks of it. It's new to Steam, are there any changes? (Edit: a new patch with a little bit of new content.)

I'd be tempted at 50% off or something like that (when I have a flipping Internet connection that isn't 10/GB ). I wonder who paid whom between SCS and Scania.

I know ETS2 1.9 will have new AI, which is much needed, new physics and some graphics upgrades but I don't know what else. To be honest, and this is definitely not a complaint, I'm not sure why they're bothering with a large patch for ETS2 at this point. Perhaps they want to beta test the new stuff for ATS.

- Quboid

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 13:40 Quboid

NASA has the potential to be one of the most significant organisations in history - if they're not already - and should be considered a ridiculously good investment for the US government.

Maybe the people who would profit from off-planet mining should lobby the government like those who profit from killing brown people do. I predict that some day the richest person in the world solar system will make their fortune from off-planet mining.

- Quboid

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2014, 11:11 Quboid

This is about a month old and perhaps you guys are familiar with it but does anyone remember Republic: The Revolution, an overly-ambitious post-cold-war political simulator? The guy behind that, Demis Hassabis, has done quite well since.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month
14. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 27, 2014, 11:06 Quboid

Remember Republic: The Revolution, the game that tried to be a political simulator? The brain behind that isn't doing too badly.  

- Quboid

13. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 27, 2014, 10:49 Quboid

I'm assuming you're arguing the communist vs capitalist point by the way, which I disagree on. I agree it's not really a dictator game as you do everything - which is essential for the game they want to make but true none the less - and as a simulator it could be a lot deeper.

It would be interesting to allow some private enterprise, with citizens looking to fill niches by, for example, building farms with a crop that no other farms are producing. Successful private enterprises could result in rich and powerful citizens and actual political rivals. Rivals can build armies and who killing or imprisoning would rile up so many people for it to actually be a concern.

- Quboid

12. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 27, 2014, 10:45 Quboid

That the dictator himself sets the wages is a game thing and is unrelated to whether it's communist or capitalist. A capitalist president wouldn't do that either.

Being able to delegate responsibilities to underlings and have their allegiances be relevant would be good. As it stands, your citizens' politic stance has very little relevance. This would add to the game but again it's not relevant to communist or capitalist. I suppose in a capitalist economy, they wouldn't be your farms - they'd be a citizen's. Which is still a problem, of course.

My point is that the government is setting the wages. Everyone's wages. No one except the government owns anything. There is no private enterprise, no citizens deciding to build their own cigar factory, there's not even any trade been citizens (possibly down to the shallowness of the simulator). You work for the government and buy everything from the government, or you either starve or rebel. That's pretty darn communist in my book.

- Quboid

10. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 26, 2014, 21:09 Quboid

Sacrifice wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 18:39:
I am disappointed to read the negative comments. I enjoy city building games and I enjoyed the Tropico series so far. I was looking forward to Tropico 5. Hopefully this beta test will fix the major issues.

I thought Tropico 4 was okay. Graphically, it did feel like Tropico 3 with a slightly new coat of paint. I mainly didn't like how it forced you to perform certain tasks before it revealed your ultimate objective. I much preferred knowing the main objective immediately and then achieving it as I pleased.

Fair point, that's not my intention. Tropico 3 and 4 are games that I can find so many flaws in precisely because I enjoy them so much that I've played both a great deal. I don't like Tropico 4 Modern Times, that's just silliness of the wrong sort, but Tropico 4 or Tropico 3 Gold are both very good games. Anno is usually a slightly better series, deeper and more balanced, but I enjoy the recent Tropico games more than Anno 2070.

- Quboid

7. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 26, 2014, 16:12 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 15:07:
Heh, Tropico doesn't simulate communist island dictatorship AT ALL. You are a god controlling a freighter terminal that gives you infinite money.

Anything else is just decor ;p Imo Tropico 2 3 and 4 were both shallow as hell and pretty bad compared to Tropico (the original)

A true el Presidente should be a God!

It's a fairly shallow simulation of course, but I think it is fair to say that it's a communist island dictatorship simulator. How would you make a more communist island dictatorship simulator game without making it so complex as to be unapproachable?

- Quboid

5. Re: Tropico 5 Beta Signups; Testing Next Month Feb 26, 2014, 14:29 Quboid

Tropico 3 had plenty of changes but Tropico 4 felt like an expansion pack and with its Modern Times expansion pack was actually a worse game. It's purely cosmetic I know, but should half the population of my banana republic live in apartment buildings with helicopter pads on top?! The lack of content in Tropico 4 and Omerta City of Gangsters does not bode well, I hope they've either expanded their workforce or aren't spreading themselves as thinly.

There's quite a bit of balance work that needs done. In both Tropic 3+4 and OCoG, the first hour or so of a map was too slow but once you got a basic production line in place, the challenge disappeared and it just became a question of waiting for freighters to bring in your next wedge of cash. This needs evened out to create a more consistent difficulty curve.

I couldn't lose an election or civil war either. I don't think I ever actually tried to lose (which I might do when I regain an Internet connection) but I certainly tried making it as hard as I could and still walked every election without rigging anything. I attempted to engineer a sort of Che Guevara scenario where I'd run the island as an exploitative, militaristic capitalist but the hopeless communist revolutionaries just got wiped out every time they tried to attack a farm.

One thing that bugs me a little bit is that regardless of how communist or capitalist you are and your policies attempt to be, the whole island is always far more communist than any real nation has ever been. The government owns every building, sets every wage, sets rent, manages food production and distribution, education, health etc. I understand this from a gameplay point of view but if they could make different economic left/right policies actually change how the game plays rather than just who likes you, I think it could be a lot deeper.

- Quboid

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
135. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 12:15 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 10:34:
I've been using unblockus for a while but recently switched to https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ because they are cheaper.

They appear to be pretty good, how is bandwidth over these services? Can they max out a good Internet connection (55Mbit)?

It's rather bullshit that their 6 month deal is just a few bucks cheaper than their 12 month one. I'm sure I'm supposed to think that the 12 month deal is great value but it just looks like they've inflated the 6 month one to trick us.

- Quboid

88. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 21:55 Quboid

NKD wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 21:17:
As an aside, can someone tell me when we started lending weight to Metacritic around here?

When it became useful to vaguely back up our rather tenuous point, as long as you don't look at it too closely.

A few people here seemed oddly optimistic before release seemly based on blind faith more than anything, and quick to argue with anyone who urged caution. As tends to be the case with Internet debate, that we (at least I) were talking about things that _might_ go wrong, not that _would_ go wrong, got lost and I think the comments got more polarised than people actually felt. Evidently some took it rather hard.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2014, 16:32 Quboid

Mad Max, for someone whining on a video game site, you seem a have a real problem with people whining on a video game site.  

- Quboid

59. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 16:27 Quboid

harlock wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 16:06:
Prez wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 15:30:
I have no idea where the whole "bury my head in the sand" comment came from - it makes no sense in the context of the discussion.

yeh if you dont see what thats about then i cant begin to explain the rest .. wont bother trying

its not a big deal, if you wanna play this shit, go ahead, live it up

I didn't really get the "bury head in sand" thing either. Did anyone? For some reason you seem to think that respecting the opinion of a particular critic is akin to burying one's head in the sand - is that right? Quite how you make this leap I don't know. By the looks of it, no one but you knows.

What should people do? It seems you dislike it (no doubt following much more research than TB) but to paraphrase someone earlier on this thread, that doesn't mean people who do like it are going away, or don't exist, or aren't capable of forming opinions.

- Quboid

47. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 15:44 Quboid

harlock wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 13:34:
NKD wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 13:25:
TotalBiscuit seemed to like it a lot. Good enough for me.

shouldnt "good enough for you" be based on how much you like it? whats stopping anyone from playing this game? adequate peer pressure?

at the same time it doesnt mean people who dont like it are going away, or dont exist, or arent capable of forming opinions either

"gonna bury my head in the sand, because, damnit, i wanna" .. heh ok go for it - but make sure to tell everyone before you do

I'll take a wild guess that the idea is to have some idea of how good it is before he buys it. As in, "this guy whose opinions I frequently agree with thinks it's quite good, therefore I might like it". This is really quite different to burying one's head in the sand, and has nothing at all to do with those who don't like it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 11:33 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 09:10:
Thief reviews doesn't look too good. Just a heads up for people that bought the game.
Ars Technica

A damn shame. To say that there had been warning signs is an understatement.

This, from that review, brings to mind so many games, none more so than the Thief series:
Why does every game have to have some mystical ghost nonsense these days?

It seems so unimaginative, just throwing cool stuff under the title of "magic" and never having to explain it. Mass Effect did this very well, they actually tried to explain about Element Zero and the Mass Effect in a way that actually made sense and made the world more immersive, not less.

It's like explaining away mysterious crystal skulls as "lol aliens" in the last act.

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2014, 11:38.

- Quboid

News Comments > THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch
18. Re: THIEF System Requirements - Mantle Support via Post-Release Patch Feb 23, 2014, 19:15 Quboid

Is the first level a tutorial? I can understand that being linear.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 18, 2014, 21:38 Quboid

That's not a British expression AFAIK. The closest is "pack it in" which is to give up something but I don't think that's unique to us.

If I was to buy a console now, there's precious few arguments in favour of the Xbox One. 900p at 30 FPS is pathetic. It would be laughable except that this will slow PC development in the near future.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Feb 18, 2014, 21:17 Quboid

I thought Antichamber was pretty bad. Original, but it seemed weird for the sake of it and not with any particular logic or reason for it.

I was expecting another Stanley Parable, which was unfair. The Stanley Parable did a great job of putting its weirdness into context. Maybe going into it with better (or no) expectations would help. If I've helped to lower yours, you're welcome.

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Feb 18, 2014, 21:14 Quboid

Hey hey! Welcome back! I'm guessing you've been turning the air Blue lately.

Thanks Frans!

By the way, I quite liked the temporary design. The only thing I missed was being able to check for updated .plan files...

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2014, 21:27.

- Quboid

3920 Comments. 196 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo