Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4259 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2014, 17:57 Quboid

I don't understand this wireless charging stuff. Needing to put your phone on a pad is much worse than plugging in a micro USB cable and being able to hold your phone. I'm all for wireless charging but I don't see the point of this at all.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus VR Era Projections
29. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 21:38 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:18:
Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 00:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:15:
Most people don't play PC games.

Yeah, those 65 million people on Steam don't mean a thing.

You took it out of context totally.

Most people don't play PC games - but enough do to make it viable. Most people won't strap a TV to their face* - which seemingly means it can't be viable.

* AFAIK there's no real disagreement here and the "Anyone who says different" is largely a figment of Cutter's imagination.

- Quboid

News Comments > VR Game The Assembly Announced
13. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 19:26 Quboid

Earlyworm wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:00:
Quboid wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 17:08:

I already hate horror games in my DK1. That shit's just not enjoyable.

I couldn't agree more.. I am really not excited about all those horror games after I tried a few on my DK1 (e.g. Affected)
They were simply too much for me - it was too real!

Eurotruck simulator was however fantastic.. except for the low resolution of DK1.

Resolution aside, that's where it excels. Any cockpit based game is ideal as your body is in sync with your "body".

Playing War Thunder, a mediocre online flight sim, it's just a joy to be able to look around. It felt more natural immediately than TrackIR ever did and the innate ability to just know where straight ahead is (from the angle of your neck) makes such a difference, and is such an advantage. I honest don't know if non-VR flight sims can ever really appeal any more.

I highly recommend Solar System Explorer if you have a Rift. It's a wonderful demonstration of how sims can embrace VR.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 17:55 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:33:
Go Croatia!!! (Ok now you know where Im from... )

Final score: Brazil 3-1 Croatia. Tough break. Brazil were the better team and Oscar was superb but you got screwed by the ref for the penalty. There was a few soft decisions but that was just plain wrong IMHO.

I thought that the Croatian keeper was supposed to be good - he's been poor for all 3 Brazil goals. You've got a tasty midfield.

- Quboid

News Comments > VR Game The Assembly Announced
10. Re: VR Game The Assembly Announced Jun 12, 2014, 17:08 Quboid

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 15:35:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 13:15:
Yeah, I really feel that VR is probably the biggest revolution in PC gaming since the invention of accelerated graphics. In the same way that accelerated graphics brought FPS games to the forefront while relegating the adventure and turn-based strategy genres (among others) to the back burner, it will cause a renaissance in sim, sim-lite, driving, and horror games.

Horror especially. Don't remember if it was linked to here but Joystiq did a an Oculus enabled preview of Alien Isolation and apparently it made the guy scream like a little girl. I remember reading about the audience reactions from the first movie. Since then we've become desensitized to a lot of that stuff and I think VR is a good way to reverse that.

I already hate horror games in my DK1. That shit's just not enjoyable.

- Quboid

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 17:04 Quboid

nin wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 16:41:
Shok wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 16:39:
So the new Thief is $15 on Steam today. Is it worth considering at that price or should I wait until it's 5 dolla?

I'd tell you to jump on that deal...except there's no jump option in Thief.

So...

Contextually activate that offer?

I'm surprised Thief is already selling for a quarter of its original price. It must have sold poorly.

- Quboid

News Comments > Oculus VR Era Projections
25. Re: Oculus VR Era Projections Jun 12, 2014, 16:53 Quboid

Mr. Anisotonic wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 13:25:
I'm still baffled at all the interest there is for this while 3D Vision, which is arguably a superior and much more versatile system, remains largely an underground thing.

The Rift is more than 3D - as an output device it gives you much wider, more natural fields of view but even more significant is how it acts as an input device: head tracking adds a lot to games, particularly cockpit based ones.

- Quboid

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 16:13 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:33:
Go Croatia!!! (Ok now you know where Im from... )

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! Brazil score ... for Croatia!

- Quboid

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2014, 11:00 Quboid

Go Northern Ireland!

- Quboid

News Comments > More Games to Support AMD's Mantle
18. Re: More Games to Support AMD's Mantle Jun 11, 2014, 17:18 Quboid

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 14:57:
So for someone who doesn't usually follow AMD stuff ever and without googling, what the hell is this mantle anyways? Someone give me a quick breakdown.

There's hopefully more qualified people than me to say (hat's off to jdreyer, BTW) but basically it's an alternative to Direct 3D which improves performance. Specifically, it reduces the amount of CPU power that's needed by the graphics card, so developers can dedicate more to AI/physics/even more complex graphics/whatever. The next version of Direct 3D, in DirectX 12, will apparently have similar performance boosts, supposedly of up to about 30% (but as with drivers, real world improvements are somewhat less).

Again, I'm no expert but AFAIK, Mantle isn't tied to AMD hardware in the same way as PhysX or TXAA are to Nvidia gear. If Nvidia wanted to, they could add support to Geforce cards but unless the market forces their hand, I expect they'd be loath to embrace an AMD technology - unless they fancy pulling a Microsoft by embracing, extending and exterminating it.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 2014, 17:27.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Tropico 5 Jun 10, 2014, 22:42 Quboid

I've been getting a lot of crashes with the new Tropico 5 patch, 1.01 seemed a lot more stable.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jun 10, 2014, 19:47 Quboid

You're over four-fifths of a billion visitors now, the fractions will fall fast.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Dead Island 2 Announced
14. Re: Dead Island 2 Announced Jun 10, 2014, 11:52 Quboid

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 11:06:
Spec Ops: The Line was a very good game, although it was heavy going at times; it wasn't really "fun" in the traditional sense. It worked as a disturbing psychological drama and also as a deconstruction of "dude bro" shooters.

The one thing I didn't like was that the game would condemn you for your violent acts but would never present a non-violent alternative, meaning you had to commit acts of violence because that was the only way to advance the storyline.

Maybe that was the point, though? Who knows. And call it a hunch, but I don't think Dead Island 2 will be weighed down with moral quandries.

That really bugged me about Spec Ops: The Line. Spoilers for it and Bioshock 1 follow:

I saw the main horrible act coming and tried to avoid it. Can't be done. It's a bit rough to be called a monster by the very people who forced me into doing this and that ruins the impact. It's the same problem that the original Bioshock had with its "would you kindly" trigger tricking the player into doing the evil ones' bidding - in a totally linear corridor shooter.

I get that the evil character is tricking the good character, or in Spec Ops the good intentions go so wrong but in both cases I feel like the developers think they've tricked us by subverting our expectations. They both did catch me a bit off-guard but neither had a lot of impact. This may be unfair, perhaps the developers think no such thing.

These would have a lot more impact if there was choice and players actually walked into them by falling for gaming tropes about who to trust or how to deal with dug-in enemies when you're handed a mortar but then you have to deal with branching storylines.

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Jun 10, 2014, 06:55 Quboid

EvilGrouse wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 22:08:
Rik Mayall...RIP you sick bastard. I will miss him.
Adrian Edmonson is not a happy man today.

"Bottom" should have been one of the worst television programmes made in the pre-reality-TV era, but Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson's performances made it funny and oddly compelling. So long, Lord Flashheart. Woof!

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 9, 2014, 12:02 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jun 9, 2014, 10:09:
I think it's really easy to criticize his convictions and courage but putting myself on the other side of it I can easily see why. How many of us would do any different? He's not exactly living the life of luxury either. Being exiled to Russia away from friends and family potentially forever is pretty significant.

I think he should have stayed but at the same time I can't really blame him for not doing so.

Virtually all of us would do something different: we wouldn't blow the lid in the first place. I wonder how many people who call him a coward have done, or ever would do, anything requiring a tenth of his bravery.

Staying in the U.S. could have got him killed and his message silenced. Wasting your life and probably the one opportunity to get this stuff out isn't brave, it's stupid.

- Quboid

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2014, 16:29 Quboid

Bill Watterson could have auctioned off his return for a small fortune, it's very classy to do it this way.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Firefighters 2014 Jun 7, 2014, 11:57 Quboid

That's not a review, that's a sexist rant.  

- Quboid

News Comments > PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine
17. Re: PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine Jun 6, 2014, 22:21 Quboid

Rah! Rah! I must defend my beloved sport's honour!

WarPig wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 21:56:
It's about time that other english speaking countries get over the fact that North America has a different name for what they call "football". Get the fuck over it! Let's look at cars... what we call a "trunk" you call a "boot", what we call a "hood" you call a "bonnet". Who cares? We sure don't. Hell, I don't know why "American" football is even called football, it just is (and it's awesome ).

If you called the boot/trunk a "bonnet" and the called bonnet/hood a "boot", that would be needlessly confusing and really rather stupid. Football makes sense for a sport that is based around a foot and a ball, not one that's based around throwing an egg.

So, for those of you who lack the coordination to catch and throw, play soccer! Play the hell out of it! Here in North American it's a great diversion for 11 year old girls.

It's not a sport that just requires physicality, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much. Baseball is played by here by 11 year old girls who aren't good enough at sports to play hockey. That's a credit to baseball and to football, and is one of the few things I dislike about American Football - if you're not built like a tank you don't seem to have a chance.

The rest of us will enjoy the greatest game ever devised... FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

So true. So very true. The rest of us, 6.6 billion of us, will enjoy football, the greatest game ever.

(I enjoy watching American Football occasionally. It's a good sport, despite the bigger=winner=lame nature of it. I don't especially mind the name either but it does seem silly to use existing sport's appropriate name (albeit informal) and apply it to a sport where it's not appropriate. It's an OCD thing not some Nationalism bollocks.)

- Quboid

News Comments > PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine
7. Re: PC FIFA 15 Using Next-Gen Engine Jun 6, 2014, 17:11 Quboid

My guess is that in the rush to get a new version out for the annual release, they could only manage 2 platforms for FIFA 14.

Cutter wrote on Jun 6, 2014, 15:11:
So are you soccer fans excited about the world cup? Punch

A month of football? You bet!

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
24. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 6, 2014, 17:07 Quboid

I'd rather he was put on trial in the U.S. but I wouldn't blame him if he felt that he wouldn't get a trial, wouldn't get a fair trial, or wouldn't live long enough to be put on trial. He'd be relatively hard to touch now, but before the shit went down he couldn't have known if he would be safe - I'm in no doubt that he would have been killed if the NSA found out and could have done it in time to keep all this quiet.

He went to China and Russia because they're the only places that have more to gain from standing up to the US than caving in - I don't think it reflects very well on the USA that these regimes are apparently (to someone in his circumstances) fairer than it.

I doubt anyone who calls him a coward has ever done anything as brave. He knew he would spend life in some sort of prison (even if it's of his choosing) if he wasn't killed and he would have had months, perhaps years to back out of it. Whether or not you agree with what he did, surely anyone can see that this took bravery unless it's inconvenient to do so.

- Quboid

4259 Comments. 213 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo