Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4879 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
106. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 23:52 Quboid

I only bother with sustainable industry - I built oil fields and my economy took a hit when they packed up. Likewise, I avoided graveyards and landfill because I don't want a problem to build up when I'm concentrating on resolving a traffic jam miles away.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

104. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 17, 2015, 23:39 Quboid

The metro is very effective for reducing traffic. Combined with footpaths (in the parks menu) you can get rid of lots of cars and buses which even helps free up roads in industrial areas a good bit.

At first I plopped down services every time an icon popped up but that was over-doing it. The occasional garbage, health or body doesn't matter as long as your services aren't over capacity, their vehicles can move freely and there isn't a continuing cause (e.g. noise pollution causing illness; metro stations are noisy) then it doesn't seem to be a problem.

- Quboid

News Comments > Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released
6. Re: Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released Mar 17, 2015, 01:15 Quboid

Alamar wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 20:32:
Total-Khaos wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 20:24:
Quboid wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 20:16:
Does this [the basic game, no DLC] develop much after the slums? I've spent quite a few hours mostly doing side quests and enjoyed it but unless the gameplay develops in the main quest, I think I've had my fill.

Yes, the slums area was only half the game!

That's not what he asked...

The second half of the game plays much like the first, though some of the unlocked abilities make mass killing much easier (which is more fun)... The story continues, both good and bad...

But really, all you really need to know, is that the twins story line gets wrapped up... : )

I'm on the top tier (level 14+) in all three skill trees so I may have massively overdone it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released
1. Re: Dying Light Ultimate Survivor Bundle DLC Released Mar 16, 2015, 20:16 Quboid

Does this [the basic game, no DLC] develop much after the slums? I've spent quite a few hours mostly doing side quests and enjoyed it but unless the gameplay develops in the main quest, I think I've had my fill.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 16, 2015, 00:59 Quboid

I presume they take commute length into account when picking a job but won't switch work for that reason. That's quite realistic, most people stay in their rut.

Transport tip: Go to Overlays -> Public Transport (buses/metro/trains, whatever it's called). This shows the same data overlay as these tools but rather than add or change infrastructure or route paths, you can change route names and colours (alternatively, click on a bus and then "modify route"). Giving overlapping routes different colours makes designing them much easier, and the vehicles change colour too!

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2015, 01:08.

- Quboid

74. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 16, 2015, 00:48 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 15, 2015, 19:37:
Dacron wrote on Mar 15, 2015, 13:48:
Really wish you could see the way the ground contours in subway mode. Too many times my beautifully planned line gets all jerky/bends the wrong way instead of making a nice, round connection. The ground interferes and forces a left banking turn that ends up making the connection a right angle where it connects rather than being smooth.

I agree, it could use quite a bit of work. Btw, for those of you who don't know, if you draw multiple bus lines, select one of the busses that runs that line, and then you can rename it AND recolor the line. Makes it MUCH easier to see where your bus coverage is good and where it's weak.

Sadly, this does not seem to work with subways, so I just draw one line that hits all the stations. It works fine, but it's a very inelegant solution.

Go to the public transport overlay. This shows the same overlay as the public transport tools, but rather than add routes/infrastructure you can select any bus, metro or train line and change how it looks.

The vehicles also change colour. I was wondering WTF those purple lorries were doing driving around my residential area until the penny dropped

- Quboid

64. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 14:59 Quboid

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 11:11:
[...]
2. Not enough building variation, you can easily see the exact same building repeated 20 times in a row. That actually applies to all ploppables.
[...]
Overall, a great game, I can see it going strong with continued support. Not quite the variation of Sim City but it's from a 9 man team.

The lack of variety is a problem. Understandable given the size of the team and the price of the game but the same zones look too similar (as in, all light residential zones look alike, all high res zones look alike, etc).

I have subscribed to everything on Nouveaux BatÓments Growables, a Steam Workshop collection of growable buildings (growable = built by citizens in zones), to help mix things up. A lot of these are just variations of in-game buildings, I assume using the same 3D models, but everything helps.

It would be nice to theme districts if there was sufficient content (and this has DLC written all over it), preferably tying it in with game mechanics so gambling encourages tourism, causes crime.

- Quboid

45. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 01:34 Quboid

This was in development for 2 years, which means that they started around the time that Simcity 2013 was released. It really shows, this game clearly draws a lot of inspiration on how NOT to do things and their trailers quickly mentioned offline, big maps and modding support. I feel sorry for ex-Maxis developers looking at this and perhaps seeing what they envisaged Simcity 2013 to be before the suits butted in and utterly ruined it.

Performance is fine with 75K people, all 25 tiles unlocked and a city which presently uses about a third of the space. Simcity 4 and Simcity 2013 would report the same city has having hundreds of thousands; I think they exaggerated the numbers while I suspect that Cities: Skylines underplays it a bit to reduce the load.

I have only had one traffic problem in my 75K city which wasn't my fault; when trains leave the map they seem to stop which causes a jam and I can't change the track outside the playable area.

Some parts of the simulation are a bit weak. The disconnect between cims' schedules and the economy is a bit jarring, with no day/light cycle or rush hour and there doesn't appear to be any economic need for cims to get to work. Every simulation cuts corners and this isn't a big deal but I would like Cities: Skylines 2 to weave these together better.

It's not perfect but it is damn good. Tropico and Anno have taken their own spin on the city builder genre to mostly good effect but for pure Simcity gameplay, this far better our other options of Simcity 2013 or Cities XXL.

- Quboid

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
7. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2015, 12:23 Quboid

Monument Valley was excellent but after finishing the 10 levels, I was satisfied. There wasn't really much meat on the gameplay and it could easily have outstayed its welcome.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter falls into this trap and drags on a bit. It is beautiful. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is a similar game if this is your thing.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2015, 13:05 Quboid

Hashtags were never one of humanity's finest moments but I've never known them to physical hurt quite like that commercial. Truly, truly ghastly.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines
12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Cities: Skylines Mar 11, 2015, 00:29 Quboid

ViRGE wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 21:03:
Slashman wrote on Mar 10, 2015, 20:24:
Word is the max size area you can build is 36 km. This is versus the hefty 2km limit of EA's Sim City. Don't you just love EA and Maxis?
36km x 36km, or 36km2? Because Sim City 2013 was 2km x 2km, or 4km2.

The game map is 10km by 10km. It's made of 2km by 2km tiles that you purchase to expand from your starting tile. By default you are limited to 9 2x2 tiles of your choosing for 36km^2 of irregularly shaped playable area but there are already mods which open up all 25 tiles in one game for the full 100km^2 map.

I'm enjoying CSL a lot so far.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2015, 00:35.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Mar 10, 2015, 12:08 Quboid

Cities Skylines was released 5 minutes ago. The initial reports seem very good.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Video Diary
5. Re: Cities: Skylines Video Diary Mar 5, 2015, 21:04 Quboid

I'm excited for this, I liked their earlier games (Cities in Motion 1 & 2) and I've been watching some Twitch streams; mainly Quill18 and aKiss4Luck.

The simulation seems good so far. Traffic management looks like a big deal in this game and I don't know how this holds up when you get over 100K people. They claim that each Cim (yes, that's what they call them) is simulated properly virtually all the time so it could get messy. It's a shame that Cims will teleport if they're stuck in traffic for too long but I can see how a city could become unplayable if you're not a qualified civil engineer. Quill18 had a pandemic because hearses couldn't collect dead Cims, so disease spread and caused more death. Saying that the traffic simulation is too realistic for mere mortals is rather fanboy-ish so it's only fair to point out that I have seen a few traffic bugs, and some awkward-but-inconsequential animation hiccups.

The population always seems too low for the city size, I don't know if they underplay the number of residents so that there aren't as many to simulate, or if other games have exaggerated the numbers for effect. Even after you removed the number fudging in Simcity 2013, I'd guess it would report twice the population for the same city. Hopefully this means that the population cap of a million won't be a problem but I'd much rather that cap wasn't there, particularly as I have every intention of opening up the full 10x10km map as soon as I can.

I spoke to Mariina briefly in one of the Twitch streams' chat, it's cool that they're taking the time to hang out and answer questions when they get off work, even if I am cynical enough to know that they're basically just working overtime at marketing.

This comment was edited on Mar 5, 2015, 21:10.

- Quboid

News Comments > TITAN X GPU Unveiled
5. Re: TITAN X GPU Unveiled Mar 4, 2015, 19:17 Quboid

I hope they've double checked the specs this time  

- Quboid

News Comments > EA Closing Maxis?
11. Re: EA Closing Maxis? Mar 4, 2015, 16:49 Quboid

I have high hopes for Cities Skylines. A city builder is a pretty big project so I know it might be rather sparse but if the basic simulation is good it could be excellent.

Maxis died for me 2 years ago.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Patches
11. Re: Morning Patches Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 Quboid

20-25GB for a patch? If you have a strict bandwidth cap, I'm guessing your language selection will be salty.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Havoc DLC Released - Paid Supply Drops Inbound
2. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Havoc DLC Released - Paid Supply Drops Inbound Mar 3, 2015, 20:54 Quboid

So they looked at the stink H1Z1 caused and thought "yep, we need some of that"? Oh CoD, you do look tired.  

- Quboid

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2015, 10:47 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 10:03:
I have to go on record and agree with the assesment that a sequel for Blade Runner is completely unecessary and more to the point would ruin the ambiguity of the original flick.

I don't remember any ambiguity and both Scott and Ford have said that there's nothing to it. Is there any reason to elevate this above any other non-canon fan theory like James Bond being a codename?

I haven't watched it recently, I should.

- Quboid

35. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 14:07 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 13:33:
NegaDeath wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 12:48:
It looks absolutely white and gold while standing in a blue light here. The picture that makes it look more white looks like someone is fixing the influence of the blue light, everything else looks like a butchered photoshop or a different dress entirely. My brain just won't accept anything else. I can sorta understand how people are seeing blue but I don't get the black at all. Neat stuff.

Edit: Nimoy. Godamnit. RIP.

Take the color test I linked. I'm curious to see the results. Because if you're not color blind either than it has to be a monitor contrast issue.

I got 10/10 and I see much the same thing as Negadeath does. It reminds me of trying to photograph snowy scenes with a cheap camera and getting blue photos (and not the good sort) because the camera's white balance was thrown out of whack.

jacobvandy, it's an optical illusion in which something seemly objective is highly subjective. That's quite interesting. We're not gossiping about who wore it best.

- Quboid

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2015, 12:33 Quboid

Leonard Nimoy has died aged 83. As a very infrequent Star Trek viewer, he was my favourite.  

- Quboid

4879 Comments. 244 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo