Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4449 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 7, 2014, 11:24 Quboid

Frijoles wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 23:19:
Fantaz wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 22:51:
i think Samsung's Gear VR with Note 4 will be better than the Oculus Rift because it will be 1440p compared to 1080p. i just wonder if Gear VR can hook up to a computer or not...

Rift CV1 will be a minimum of 1440p. They've said so multiple times, going so far as to say "minimum" (as in, could be higher). The Note 4 version won't hit 90fps either, something they're targeting with CV1. If the Note 4 + Gear weren't so expensive, I'd consider getting one for playing around, but that's at tad high.

Have they actually said that? I expect it will be 1440p or 1600p but AFAIK the only time they've actually said that CV1 would be higher than DK2 it could just have been a slip of the mind. I haven't been keeping a close eye on things so I could easily have missed this.

I'd be really disappointed if it's 1080p given how long it's taking. Especially as I'd like a wider FoV (than DK1), which means each pixel needs to look slightly larger.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2014, 23:03 Quboid

PropheT wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 22:25:
Quboid wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 21:32:
Oh good, this stuff in OotB too. And someone self-important shouting at a camera belittling their opponents, that always settles debates.

Well, there's 8 other links there that you could just read instead.

I kind of thought the point was that there never was a debate to resolve in the first place. After a lot of righteous indignation in article after article belittling something and anyone who disagrees, nobody else that I've seen with more of a voice than an average forum poster has really bothered to point out that the professionally offended aren't really paying attention to facts.

All that aside, I thought it was just nice for someone to do something that said we aren't all shitty people for liking games or comics or whatever for a change.

There are plenty of important issues regarding sexuality and sexism in gaming and plenty of reasonable points to be made on all sides. None of these issues are being discussed, none of these points are being disseminated.

Instead, the extremes of each side are pointing at individual events which suit their ideology and convincing themselves that (their interpretation of) these events represent anything more than a single occurrence, while seeing the idiotic actions of the opposite extreme and applying that to everyone who disagrees with them.

We've sunk to the level of politicians.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2014, 23:13.

- Quboid

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2014, 22:48 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 15:08:
Seems like a really bad idea to make a change like that.

They needed to update their rendering system because it was tied to physical pixels and assumed a ~92 PPI display, which is finally no longer so prevalent on PCs. This will have involved some pretty major rewrites of the rendering engine's Windows-specific code.

For example, with a fairly high PPI display, you might set Windows to use 150% scaling. In an old program a font 20 pixel high would be rendered by old Windows code at 20 pixels high, and then Windows would upscale it to a 30 pixel high image - inevitably making it blurry. A newer program will call Windows to render the font at 20 pixels and Windows will then seamlessly(-ish) render a crisp 30 pixel high character in the first place.

I presume the visible changes are an unintended side effect and I can't see any reason why added blurriness is anything but a bug. Most text is fine for me but the font in this text area is harder to read

- Quboid

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2014, 21:32 Quboid

Oh good, this stuff in OotB too. And someone self-important shouting at a camera belittling their opponents, that always settles debates. And focusing on one issue, fair enough, he's not making the mistake of assuming that this applies across the board, no. Why would he, he's got Internet commenters to do that for him!

This debate is just two groups of idiots yelling at each other and now I'm one of them.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2014, 21:24 Quboid

Julio wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 17:13:
Quboid wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 09:30:
...while I think you're joking and don't really think this happened, there are people out there who have tricked themselves into believing what to us is a joke

I have zero faith in the journalistic integrity of Kotaku. There has been enough proof of one of their writers having sexual relations with someone he was writing about. And not disclosing that fact.

Kotaku is fine with sweeping it under the rug, I'm not.

Kotaku's a shitty site and not worth visiting for a number of reasons but I don't think this is one.

AFAIK he mentioned her in passing in an article about a failed TV show that was written before their affair started (the man who wrote the blog that blew this open corrected a mistake with the timeline of events). The mentions of her seem entirely appropriate and wasn't positive. I don't know what Grayson should have done, tweeted out "hey guys I'm dating someone who I once mentioned briefly"? Even if the affair had started, while it would have been unprofessional of Grayson, is mentioning someone who you're dating really a big deal? Are there other articles written by him about her? Is there literally anything to suggest any favouritism?

Whatever happened, it's not representative of the industry and yet any time a female developer's game gets a decent review, it seems inevitable that some cretins in the review's comments will reference this - or a convenient version of this that suits their ideology.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Sep 6, 2014, 09:30 Quboid

Julio wrote on Sep 6, 2014, 04:58:
I'm not clicking on Kotaku links. I wonder who got laid over there in exchange for writing this article...

As much as I dislike them, you're making me sympathise with Kotaku more and more. It just doesn't make sense for this to have happened that one time, never mind regularly and while I think you're joking and don't really think this happened, there are people out there who have tricked themselves into believing what to us is a joke. Convenience can be very convincing.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2014, 09:39.

- Quboid

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2014, 17:35 Quboid

nin wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:32:
Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2014, 11:28:
I'd create a square of small banners at the top, Blue. 2 by 2,

Amazon USA -------- Amazon UK
Amazon Canada ---- Amazon Germany

That way they show up first and are easy to get to for people just doing a quick pop by to get to Amazon through your page, and it's easily subdivided for users of the respective territories.

I like that idea!

Frans could probably whip up something to display the Amazon banner with a region appropriate link that should be reasonably reliable. Judging from the number of hot single women who happen to live where my ISP is based, it's evidently sufficiently accurate for me.

Something like this grid would help too, especially for anyone who doesn't see any banners for ... some reason ... It could be cumbersome if there are eventually dozens of countries listed but that's a bridge for Blue to cross when he comes to it. Really Amazon should sort it out, doing the programme by country must be a pest to numerous web masters.

- Quboid

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2014, 17:39 Quboid

Blue wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 15:57:
I now have a code for the UK affiliate programmme:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=blsne-21

And for Amazon Germany:

http://www.amazon.de/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=blsne00-21

Thumbsup

- Quboid

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2014, 10:20 Quboid

Does it work for other Amazon sites? As I use Amazon.co.uk, should I use that link but with my TLD to set the cookie for that site?  

- Quboid

News Comments > EA Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO
30. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 18:36 Quboid

Oh, my bad. Thank you.  

- Quboid

28. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 15:44 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 15:22:
Quboid wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 12:42:
Tall Non-Fat DLC with extra microtransactions topped with freshly whipped developer.

If this means they do some market research and actually use it when designing games, I'm all for it. If they'd done market research for SimCity 2013, they'd have realised that people won't just get over the whole always-online thing. Blue's cynicism seems misplaced for once; while it remains to be seen what difference if any this makes, they could be addressing one of their biggest flaws.

Thanks, Q. It's for thoughts like these that I come here. Otherwise I would have just assumed it was just more "develop products to extract the most amount of money possible."

Thanks ... ?

Sorry, now I am being dense. Do you think I'm saying otherwise or what? I don't think they'd make better games to be all lovely, I think they'd make better games to extract more money - how many more units/DLC would SimCity have sold if it hadn't been always-online?

The cynicism I refer to is where I presume Blue was calling bullshit on marketing improving a game - if he was referring to how this is far from certain, or he literally meant that it's unusual for this to be mentioned then I'm certainly wrong on that count.

- Quboid

24. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 14:25 Quboid

harlock wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:51:
Quboid wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:38:
Beamer wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 11:03:
Do you like the cookie you bought from them? Someone from marketing likely made the decision for them to carry it.

Are you mocking him? He didn't say that they're good, it's just a statement of fact.

saying that someone does something you like, generally implies an indication that they are "good".. its not really a huge mental stretch to make that connection.. well maybe for some people it is, i dunno

also, i never said they were not good, cant you see that? man, whats wrong with you

Oh you were, I honestly wasn't sure. "Cookie good therefore cookie man good" is logic befitting a caveman and while the "maybe for some people" dig would have been a decent attempt at mocking my supposed stupidity, it is let down by it highlighting how simplistically you view things.

It seems like a fair bet that your last sentence was also an attempt to mock me. The thing is, I actually didn't say that you said they were bad. Unlike you, I didn't imply it. I didn't approach the subject at all. Your comment about "i [sic] never said" was, ironically, in response to a comment I *actually* never said.

You're right to keep practising mocking. You're really not very good at it.

- Quboid

21. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 13:38 Quboid

harlock wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:09:
Do you like the cookie you bought from them? Someone from marketing likely made the decision for them to carry it.

haha what a fucking joke..

do you enjoy not having bird shit mixed into your coffee? someone from the legal dept likely made the decision for them to do that. lawyers are the best

Are you mocking him? He didn't say that they're good, it's just a statement of fact.

Creston - that's fair enough. I see it as inevitable when businesses get this big but they don't have to suck as badly as EA's previous marketing efforts. It would be kind of nice if the big businesses all left gaming but I don't hold that specifically against EA (although there are plenty of things I do hold against EA and many of them relate to their size).

- Quboid

18. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 13:05 Quboid

Creston wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 12:49:
Instead, at Starbucks it would be the marketing deciding what products are offered. Do you like the cookie you bought from them? Someone from marketing likely made the decision for them to carry it.

Do you like the dime-a-dozen modern shooters that come out seemingly every month? Did you like the three year wave of WW2 shooters that we had? Do you like the endless waves of F2P pieces of shit we're getting?

Someone at marketing figured out, through some dildo focus group, that that's what everyone wanted.

Do you like games like Star Citizen? Someone at marketing figured out that there was just no market for that type of stuff anymore.

Two can play this game, Beamer.

The point is that marketing is more than advertising and does in fact have input into the game. I don't think his game is saying that marketing is always good at its job.

- Quboid

15. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 12:42 Quboid

Tall Non-Fat DLC with extra microtransactions topped with freshly whipped developer.

If this means they do some market research and actually use it when designing games, I'm all for it. If they'd done market research for SimCity 2013, they'd have realised that people won't just get over the whole always-online thing. Blue's cynicism seems misplaced for once; while it remains to be seen what difference if any this makes, they could be addressing one of their biggest flaws.

- Quboid

News Comments > Open Letter to the Gaming Community
24. Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 14:05 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 13:36:
Quboid wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 13:27:
This sort of thing is just preaching to the choir and as Verno says, people will and have already jumped aboard with their own largely imaginary grievances.

I don't know.
This sort of thing seems like a "is this good enough?" It doesn't really take a stand on anything. It's 4 sentences that are vague. It isn't preaching to any choir, it's trying to say "look, we're doing something" without doing anything to make sure exactly no one is angry. It's phrased deliberately so that it's really hard to disagree with (though people are finding ways), yet not really saying anything and not really actionable (what the hell does "take a public stand" mean?) It holds absolutely none of the people signing it to any kind of standard or accountability.

It's fluff that says nothing, but I guess given that this is the gaming community, people still find "don't be racist" to be overly preachy.

That's what I meant, few will disagree. "Preaching to the choir" is the wrong phrase as, as you say, it applies very broadly.

I meant that even people who this applies to will, in general, think that they agree. I don't think most sexist, racist or otherwise bigoted people who see this would realise that their comments are anything other than the harmless fun that they think it is and we've all seen how readily some people will justify their -ism of choice. "Damn these horrible misogynists! Not like me, when I kept asking that chick on a BF4 server what bra size she wore, that was just banter. LOLz!"

- Quboid

News Comments > Open Letter to the Gaming Community
13. Re: Open Letter to the Gaming Community Sep 2, 2014, 13:27 Quboid

This sort of thing is just preaching to the choir and as Verno says, people will and have already jumped aboard with their own largely imaginary grievances.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition
8. Re: Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition Aug 30, 2014, 20:14 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 30, 2014, 06:31:
Quboid wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 20:54:
I've only ever been interested in historical and custom battles, is Total War: Rome II suitable for this yet?
I don't mind them at all, but I mostly play the world domination mode. Last historical battle I did was about 2 patches back and it was good. If you think it might be iffy still, just wait for it to hit a sale again. I've seen it as cheaply as $5 on humble already.

Thanks. I'll probably pick it up for peanuts some time.

- Quboid

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition
4. Re: Total War: ROME II Emperor Edition Aug 29, 2014, 20:54 Quboid

I've only ever been interested in historical and custom battles, is Total War: Rome II suitable for this yet?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute
15. Re: Steam AU Refund Legal Dispute Aug 29, 2014, 17:14 Quboid

How do GOG implement theirs?

At GOG.com, we're confident in the quality of the games we sell and the work that we put into getting them ready for you to play them. If a game that you've bought on GOG.com doesn't work and our team of expert Support staff can't solve the problem for you, we will give you back your money.

If, within 30 days after the purchase of your game, you experience technical problems or game-breaking bugs that prevent you from finishing your game, contact our customer support. They will do their best to help you fix the problem and if, at the end of their attempts to solve the problem your game is still not working, we'll give you back your money.

If the game fails to load then it's pretty straight forward but "game-breaking bugs that prevent you from finishing your game" encompasses a lot. How do they know you haven't finished it and have looked up a known issue to con a refund? If a game-breaking bug is fixed in a new patch but my saved game isn't compatible, I probably wouldn't be entitled to a refund but I'd still lose that emotional investment.

- Quboid

4449 Comments. 223 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo