Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4706 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2015, 22:25 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 13:21:
Spintires is 9.99 - anyone recommend? Looks like ablast.....

No, that price is pushing it for what's little more than a tech demo. The mud physics is excellent and it's a neat idea but there's not much of a game to it and the developer has said that there probably won't be future development because of a dispute with the publisher.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Escape from Durgesh Prison DLC Released
9. Re: Far Cry 4 Escape from Durgesh Prison DLC Released Jan 13, 2015, 22:26 Quboid

I've actually been enjoying it for a couple of hours. It is a lot longer than 30 minutes but there is always a timer ticking down which isn't what I personally want in any game and especially not an open world one.

Actions like taking outposts (the new map is about a quarter of the size of FC4's), doing karma events or taking down posters add time to the countdown and what you get carries over into your next run - weapons, XP, skills. The map gets reset but you are stronger so your next run takes you further.

It's a nice idea and $10 is a good price for the amount of content - but IMHO the timer stops this from being anything more than a few sessions' worth of fun.

- Quboid

News Comments > Medieval Engineers Announced
8. Re: Medieval Engineers Announced Jan 13, 2015, 16:04 Quboid

From their newsletter:
We are excited to announce Medieval Engineers, our second "engineering" game. As you may already know, the first, Space Engineers, was released in October 2013 and sold over 1 million copies in its first year, and is still keeping its bestseller position.

Apparently Space Engineers was released over a year ago. Someone should tell Steam, it is still unfinished according to them.

I can understand them having a few projects in different stages of development but by going public with this it looks like they aren't properly focused on Space Engineers. It should be bad for business, making your product out dated before it is even released (as in finished, not E.A.). If they have decided that it's not bad for business, they presumably feel that Space Engineer's sales have largely finished and aren't worth pursuing which doesn't bode well for the game.

I played it soon after its "release" and enjoyed it a lot. They've added a lot since then and maybe it is ready for actual release - which means they could maybe talk publicly about a sequel in summer without it looking like their priorities are messed up.

Miner Wars was disappointing but that sort of risk is what comes from crowd funding, caveat emptor and all that.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 13, 2015, 00:00 Quboid

Slightly higher bitrates like 256Kbps isn't what they mean by HD audio.

The last time I bought music, it was the Deus Ex HR soundtrack from a post here. Someone recommended I get the CD; I bought the MP3s and made a smartass remark about old technology. The MP3s were 128Kbps... Embarassed

There's more to it than bitrate but generally I'm happy enough with 256Kbps music and TBH I probably couldn't tell the difference between that and 192Kbps on my current hardware.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2015, 20:57 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 21:22:
Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 17:31:
Are there actually "PCs are dying" articles? This article says that a year ago pundits were declaring it dead yet almost exactly a year ago I was wondering the same thing.

The same point still goes, that these articles could simply be on sites that I don't visit and Blue doesn't link to - there's always someone saying something stupid somewhere on the Internet.

Pc dead means different things to different people. To Steam users the PC Death has been debunked many years back now. Home media systems, perhaps dead enough. Business comes and goes, more of upgrading plans which for each company is different. There is a time it is saturated until the next big jump happens. Phones and tablets will hit the same walls in time. For an investor, yes perhaps it is dead, that is the last thing I care about when it comes to is the pc dead. Games are as healthy as ever, probably by a long ways better. Dev/management tools are pretty solid and plenty of choice, for a person who needs a pc, I don't see many weaknesses out there today.

I'm a bit late (back) to the party but good points HS. There's plenty of ways to look at it, gaming seems to be doing well but I wouldn't see a PC manufacturer as a particularly good investment - although I haven't looked into it or anything.

- Quboid

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Earns $21M; New Content Coming; OS X Beta Status
4. Re: Jan 10, 2015, 10:44 Quboid

Their bull projections seem to be ... well I suppose exactly what they call them. Optimistic would be a nice way of putting it. Still, 550,000 sales is damned good.

The odd thing IMHO is that all their projections expect sales to significantly increase over time. I know that they plan to add more content to the game but to expect sales to increase in anything other than a best-case scenario is very strange to me.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 9, 2015, 20:09 Quboid

It's their error, not Blue's. I'm sure I've seen someone like Jim Sterling deliberately make this exact error when referring to shoddy releases.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 18:45 Quboid

DukeFNukem wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 18:36:
There's like a ton of inventions that aren't going to have the same impact that the previous generation of the same invention had but to go around suggesting that they will be ignored is ludicrous. Intels 5th generation CPU's will not be revolutionary. They are evolutionary. They are better than their 4th generation Core CPUs. But will they be ignored? Hardly. Streaming is fine when it works and where it is available. But you have the same elitist attitude as the original article poster. Not everybody on planet Earth has Gbps fiber to their homes. You can only revolution something so many times. That's why Windows 8 is a complete failure. Trying way too hard to revolutionize something that didn't need to be revolutionized.

A market will remain but the relevance of physical media has decreased and I believe will continue to do so. It will be a long time before enough people have a good enough connection for consumer physical media to be entirely irrelevant but I think it is fair to say that it fading.

(I like Windows 8 but hey... )

- Quboid

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 18:32 Quboid

I like Bluray, IMHO it is the best way to watch a film so I've never agreed with Blue's (comic-exaggeration'ed) dismissal of it but I can't see "Ultra HD Bluray" (ridiculous name, more buzz than the drawer beside your mom's bed) or any other physical media having the impact it had - and it didn't have the impact of DVDs or ye olde VHS which were ubiquitous in my day. Streaming has already put Bluray's best days behind it.

Enthusiasts and people with poor net connections will keep some sort of market afloat but the days of my local supermarket stocking any films are probably ending. I happened to look at a local electronics store (Currys) for their games were they used to stock hundreds of titles and now they sell ... some pieces of cardboard with Steam codes on them. That is one dead market.

(Note: I added the second paragraph while DukeFNukem was composing their reply so despite appearances they didn't ignore this; it didn't exist when they hit reply. Sorry.)

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2015, 18:51.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 8, 2015, 17:31 Quboid

Are there actually "PCs are dying" articles? This article says that a year ago pundits were declaring it dead yet almost exactly a year ago I was wondering the same thing.

The same point still goes, that these articles could simply be on sites that I don't visit and Blue doesn't link to - there's always someone saying something stupid somewhere on the Internet.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 14:22 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 14:02:
Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 13:24:
Neither do I. If the excuse of "nothing to do with us" is valid, it's valid. If it's not, it's not. Severity has nothing to with it.

I absolutely disagree, context matters. Either way I'm not going any further down this road, that whole gamergate shit will just derail things.

From him, that doesn't surprise me. From you it does.

First off don't try to attribute other peoples text to me, I supplied my own that could've been easily used. Second I've lived in muslim centric areas for years and my text comes from my personal experiences. I'm generalizing out of necessity when dealing with a broad subject like this one, I don't believe every single muslim is necessarily responsible.

I did use your text, I only used Cutter making the same mistake more explicitly to reinforce my point.

Why on earth do you think people being incorrectly blamed for something much much worse than gaming's ills are going to be any happier with the connection? How is that any more fair? The only relevant context I can see is that you're making the same old mistake about something much more significant.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2015, 14:35.

- Quboid

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 13:24 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 13:14:
Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 12:59:
This reasoning "works" when you put in any beleaguered group. Something tells me that my modifications aren't going to look quite as palatable when it's us who are being told we're responsible for the actions of other people who, to outsiders, appear to speak for us. The actions of these terrorists are a hell of a lot less representative of Muslims than the actions of the most objectionable gamers are to many of us.

(If you think I'm calling any gamers terrorists, you are completely missing my point.)

Ugh, why would you try to conflate these two unlike situations? Tell you what, if gamers were actually blowing up people, shooting people and attempting to undermine society as a whole I would get involved. When it affects our collective societies, yes action is required to preserve that. I don't think "gamergate" qualifies as equivalent.

Neither do I. If the excuse of "nothing to do with us" is valid, it's valid. If it's not, it's not. Severity has nothing to with it.

Look at that shit Cutter has posted. " If they don't step forward and actively fight against this alleged perversion of Islam, then it isn't a perversion. Prove the western haters wrong. Or prove them right." Never mind that several Muslims died yesterday, including a cop who died because he was trying to protect free speech, nooooo. That's not enough. It's got to be Muslims versus Westerners because he can't understand anything more. From him, that doesn't surprise me. From you it does.

- Quboid

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 8, 2015, 12:59 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 11:15:
I'm more tired of the excuses from gaming communities. Its an extreme minority that is not representative of our culture, we wash our hands of it and the like. Do these guys have to follow through on their threats before they wake up and start to acknowledge the problem? There seems to be a pretty thin line between moderate and extreme gamers, many developers and authors have been threatened by gamers who claim to be concerned about ethics.

Is there any reasoning with people who want the rest of the world to strictly adhere to one sided bronze age cultural standards? Is tolerance really working? Can these two disparate civilizations actually co-exist peacefully? I often wonder.

This reasoning "works" when you put in any beleaguered group. Something tells me that my modifications aren't going to look quite as palatable when it's us who are being told we're responsible for the actions of other people who, to outsiders, appear to speak for us. The actions of these terrorists are a hell of a lot less representative of Muslims than the actions of the most objectionable gamers are to many of us.

(If you think I'm calling any gamers terrorists, you are completely missing my point.)

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2015, 13:05.

- Quboid

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 7, 2015, 18:39 Quboid

That's one aspect of VR that I don't really understand. Are things like this treadmill 1:1? Am I going to hit the gym before I can play Far Cry? I don't think I am quite able to sprint the length of Kyrat. Even smaller scale games like Wolfenstein, that's a lot of sweat. I don't want that and it makes a VR headset much less comfortable (already my biggest concern) and liable to slip around especially if you're moving your body.

There's potential for some really amazing fitness games if the comfort issue can be sorted out but for most VR content, I don't see the point.

Tracking arm, hand and finger movement makes sense. It's not without problems (lack of tactile feedback, knocking over your beer, getting tangled in a wire) but I can see how that would add to the experience, rather than remind me that I'm not built like B.J. Blazkowicz. And yes, I had to Google that spelling. Sue me.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2015, 18:45.

- Quboid

News Comments > Razer Unveils OSVR Headset
10. Re: Razer Unveils OSVR Headset Jan 6, 2015, 16:25 Quboid

Called it!

Those specs do seem a bit low, I wonder if they're rushing to beat the Oculus Rift to market. I hope the Rift is 2560x1440 @ 75hz at least.

- Quboid

News Comments > Far Cry Poll
36. Re: Far Cry Poll Jan 5, 2015, 20:22 Quboid

Gib007 wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 19:05:
What they need to do is give us 21:9 monitor players proper FOV control. It's embarrassing that 16:9 has more FOV than 21:9...

Using borderless windowed mode gives 21:9 users better FOV than using fullscreen, as stupid as that sounds. I don't know if gives you any control over it but it is better than stretching. (Source)

Beamer wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 19:35:
Far Cry 5 / Alpha Centuri FPSRPG.

Sold.

"Indigenous lifeform detected."

Sweet, time for a new wallet!

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2015, 20:29.

- Quboid

22. Re: Far Cry Poll Jan 5, 2015, 14:34 Quboid

Beamer, jdreyer, have you tried Loadout? It has a nice weapon crafting system where you build a weapon by choosing components much like you described in post #15, Beamer.

It's also one of the very few free-to-play games which aren't pay-to-win in my opinion. I recommend trying it out although the actual gameplay doesn't particularly interest me.

- Quboid

18. Re: Far Cry Poll Jan 5, 2015, 14:00 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 12:24:
The worst example of this, to me, is in the new Wolfenstein. You need to press X to pick up ammo. Every time. Dear developers: can you tell me a single time I wouldn't want to pick up ammo? Ever? I get why games make me loot bodies for junk and trinkets - maybe I'm low on room, or maybe it's just a gameplay feature to find all the dead bodies, but there's never, ever a time I don't want to pick up ammo. Ever. Stop making me have to hit a button to do it.

That is by far the biggest problem with the new Wolfenstein. I spend half of fire fights looking at the ground and hammering E to hover up stuff that I will always want all of. Newspaper clippings and other things that take you out of the action and aren't done hundreds of times every level should require a keypress but in this game, resources shouldn't. Even large health or armour packs, I've never wanted to save one that I couldn't have not walked over.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users [Updated]
46. Re: Steam Tops 8.5M Concurrent Users Jan 5, 2015, 12:13 Quboid

If developers were in charge of big budget games, there would be more risks taken. When it works out we get creative, innovative classics like Star Citizen but when it fails, we get overly ambitious, unfocused train wreaks like Star Citizen.  

- Quboid

8. Re: Far Cry Poll Jan 5, 2015, 11:50 Quboid

It's a mixed bag - zombies, really? - but there's some cool concepts in there. A character in FC4 mentioned he was going to "South America, maybe Cuba" which given other references (Willis referring to FC3's "SoCal douche-bag" made me laugh) I took to be a clue about FC5. That would be Peru; survival in Alaska and fighting/surviving in Vietnam would also get my vote.

Far Cry 4 was excellent but I really hope they don't just repackage Far Cry 3 again. My first impression of FC4 was that it was FC3 but worse, that the changes they had made worsened the experience in my opinion. This picked up and features I disliked, such as bait, could be ignored so I enjoyed it very much but it didn't feel new in the same way that every other Far Cry game has. If FC5 was to be Far Cry 3.6, hopefully Ubisoft's annus horribilis will prompt a rethink - but probably not.

- Quboid

4706 Comments. 236 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo