Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4879 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
27. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2015, 18:30 Quboid

This was one of the first websites I had bookmarked probably back around 1996. I lurked for ages before making an account but I've had it for 14 years - so long that I can't update it because my email address is now considered invalid thanks to some change Frans (probably) made some time ago

I'd happily pay a subscription fee in exchange for an ad-free site, even if this was just in the form of Patreon and guilt-free Adblock usage. I have Blue's whitelisted in AdBlock but Ghostery blocks the ads with frighteningly large numbers of trackers, which is most of them. I'd be very surprised if I couldn't easily top what ad revenue I could ever potentially bring in, that must be sod all per visitor.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2015, 18:16 Quboid

bigspender wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 18:03:
GayBlade wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 10:05:
I am really enjoying Daredevil. Good acting, good scripts, and the fight scenes are old school. Loving it all!

is this like some ironic hipster thing? The fight scene posted here is so slow, has no energy, and it's really obvious that Ben TheFleck can't do any of those moves properly.

Of course Monday the 13th is worse than Friday the 13th. At least on Friday it's Friday

Not the film, the TV series.

- Quboid

26. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2015, 17:57 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 17:20:
BobBob wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 14:30:
Necrophob wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 14:10:
How dare they unconditionally love us!
Unconditionally dependent on the owner for food and shelter. Otherwise, I doubt it sincerely cares at all.

Wow, Bob. Dogs are completely different from other pets. What you're describing is cat behavior (in general).

That's very general, cats aren't as solo as many people think. They're certainly not as approachable as dogs and a cat that doesn't know you will rarely want to but a cat that trusts you will see you as more than a provider. I have known cats to do things like 'groom' my 'fur' (lick my hair) for no reason other than because they're enjoying hanging out with me. This can be boiled down to selfish reasons like satisfying a need for companionship but you can do that with any intentional act by any creature.

I wonder if cats being sociable with people has led to accelerated evolution of pack instincts. The benefits over a few thousand of years of being willing to work with humans would be huge (even without humans deliberately breeding domestic traits) so I could see how these animals would thrive over wilder cats. (It also strikes me a little bit wrong that we now pick out lovely friendly little kittens and then have them neutered, so this evolution is being reversed by responsible pet owners. Hmm.)

I have a cat (11 months old tomorrow) and a dog (12 years old next week). I'll spend many thousands of pounds on them and I'd call that an absolute bargain if that didn't imply that a price can be put on it.

Edit:
Oh yes!
Quboid wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 13:26:
Of course, I'm still going to throw stuff at the screen if Liverpool lose tonight...

Stand down people, my screen remains intact. I know you were all worried.

- Quboid

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
78. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 16:37 Quboid

NKD wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 16:33:
Slick wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 16:29:
I'll be doing MP at launch

That's fairly optimistic don't you think?

At launch, I'll be frowning at the Social Club launcher for only giving me 182.4 KB/s when my connection can do 10x that while yawning.

- Quboid

56. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 14:01 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 13:50:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 13:45:
SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 13:32:
Really?
Good to know.
My comment was regarding online key stores

Yep. It just depends on the store and location as to whether or not they get any cards, or only limited numbers of them. But good enough, I've been up 28 hours now so stuff has started not making sense. :p On the upside when I wake up I'll have a whole 12 hours of GTAV to enjoy.
So by Steam card you mean you still have to download the game from Steam or the DVD install registers with Steam?
If there are no DVDs than might as well just get the game from Steam and save the taxes

All that's left of PC gaming at Currys (my local bricks & mortar electronics shop) is Steam Cards for big games, which are just a piece of paper with a code on it that gets activated when the card is purchased. I presume these are official Valve products and not a reseller, certainly they looked official and the retailer should be reputable enough not to stock counterfeits or misleading junk.

Even Football Manager is a Steam card, and that's one of those weird British things like the TV license. Want to watch TV? Buy a TV license. Want to like computer gaming and football? Bitch you _WILL_ buy Football Manager. There's a reason why Blue has come up with a soccer pun nearly every week for the UK gaming chart.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2015, 18:01.

- Quboid

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 13, 2015, 13:26 Quboid

That sucks voltov. I was going to agree with InBlack but being kinda tired and irritable isn't really so bad.

Of course, I'm still going to throw stuff at the screen if Liverpool lose tonight...

- Quboid

40. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 12:23 Quboid

Ugh fine. Fine! We all know I'm going to buy this so I might as well get it preloaded.

Goddamnit I'm weak.

(edit: thanks Dacron!)

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 10, 2015, 16:29 Quboid

That's surprised me too. Football is perhaps the sport least suited to being broken down into numbers, being full of vague and subjective notions and detailed data collection is literally decades behind NA sports. Maybe that helps in some way, making people more inclined to not notice or overlook things that would stand out in a baseball sim, for example.

This turn based match system is a neat idea. It looks like it is designed for mobile devices so that's a concern. They do specify no IAPs so that's something.

- Quboid

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to be Steamy
5. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided to be Steamy Apr 10, 2015, 10:49 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 10:45:
Creston wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 10:39:
HR came to Steam, so I'm not sure why they're acting as if this is some miraculous new thing?
Wasn't there some recent Ubisoft titles that were not on Steam or delisted or something?

A few including Far Cry 4 were removed from Steam for a few days. They soon returned for everyone except UK customers, who couldn't buy FC4 there for another month for some reason.

- Quboid

News Comments > GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs
31. Re: GTA5 PC Graphics Options Detailed; Game May Span 7 Discs Apr 8, 2015, 22:53 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 22:35:
jimnms wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 20:47:
For our short stint with the game we played in 4K with two GTX 980s in SLI, 32GB RAM and an i7-5930k processor at 3.50Ghz. That's beefy - higher than the average machine will run at - but the minimum specs are much less demanding. In fact, they're lower than you'd probably expect. The aim, says Rockstar, was to make GTA 5 malleable to a vast number of different setups so that most, if not all players, should feel as if they're getting the definitive GTA experience. The true performance of GTA 5 on lower-spec rigs remains to be seen.

Then why didn't you test the game on a lower spec system? Rolleyes I really don't give two shits on how this plays on a $4000 PC, I'd rather have an idea of what it would do on something normal.

Because after soaking their sponsors for all that free hardware, they have to keep coming up with reasons to talk about it!

Or was that a machine they received from the publisher? Could be they didn't have a choice.

It's Rockstar's machine (source): "I was shown the game in 4K resolution running at 60fps. The PC Rockstar was demoing it on is outside the price range of most consumers, with an i7 5930k@3.50GHz, SLI GTX 980, 32GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD,"

A publisher controlled environment is not a suitable testing place even if the specs were realistic. At least it's not multiplayer but still, the performance being reported can't be trusted IMHO.

- Quboid

News Comments > Euro Truck Simulator 2 Expansion Next Month
6. Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2 Expansion Next Month Apr 8, 2015, 18:09 Quboid

Vall Forran wrote on Apr 8, 2015, 17:38:
I'm curious as to why this game is so popular, but for the same reason Elite is derided...

I think Elite is generally well respected but it came with higher expectations. I didn't pick up ETS2 until well after its release and even then only expected a short novelty experience so I was pleasantly surprised to get a couple of thousand miles of fun out of it. With Elite, I wanted a bit more and saving up to buy a new ship only for it to feel the same was very anticlimactic.

- Quboid

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Patch
6. Re: Cities: Skylines Patch Apr 7, 2015, 13:18 Quboid

I could write an essay (don't worry, I won't) about all the things I'd like them to improve, but it is my favourite game for a long time. Correlating wealth with density is the biggest issue for CSL2 to address IMHO, to get as many people as possible into a building you need to make it expensive. This makes sense in that doing well (providing services) improves your score (population) but it's the opposite of realistic and contributes to the problem of cities looking samey.

The lack of variety is something that I hope expansion content for CSL1 helps, wealth=population issue aside. More building types and the ability to theme districts would help and although the Workshop helps, I'd rather have the content in game. (Particularly functionality, as I can't actually play this now because some mods need updated.)

I can't think of any genre which is more limitless in its feature-set than a city builder; it's small enough so each citizen can be a concern but large enough for regional issues too. I can easily think of loads of possible new features for them to add too.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2015, 10:12 Quboid

What did the iPad kill again?

Netbooks.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 29, 2015, 09:52 Quboid

The 4K option stuttered a bit for me, I certainly wasn't maintaining 60 FPS. The "stats for nerds" option on YouTube said it was using 55Mbit/s, so it was maxing out my 'net connection.  

- Quboid

General Discussion > Cities Skyline Bluesnoobs
16. Re: :o Mar 22, 2015, 17:33 Quboid

I haven't tested it yet but Toggle Traffic Lights.

And there was much rejoicing.

Edit: OK, quick test. It can used to cheat as the AI can navigate junctions like driverless cars in a science fiction film but used with discretion, you can fix a few places where lights really shouldn't be placed.

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 2015, 17:55.

- Quboid

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
133. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 21, 2015, 12:37 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 04:30:
I have auto bulldoze mod

But I honestly have no idea where the people come from, or why they are there and not moving out despite there not being any jobs. But it is as it is.. (And traffic is thus a nightmare)

It's gotten to the point where my high traffic intersections need to be perfectly smooth curved or straight, because a tiny bump delays traffic ;p

Are you using any balance mods? There is one that makes high density buildings have more realistic numbers (i.e. more people) and others tweak the numbers in various ways.

I might use Building Simulation Overhaul in my next city. That modder has several balance tweaks that look useful, without Infinite Oil and Ore I wouldn't bother with either.

- Quboid

126. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 23:56 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 22:46:
Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 21:39:
Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 11:54:
(I've also begun making every roundabout out of freeway pieces. Yeah, you lose the ability to zone next to it, but that roundabout is there to move traffic, not to have a giant mall created in it.)

Freeway pieces don't have pavements/sidewalks so it can be worth putting paths in by hand if you expect a lot of pedestrian traffic. The pavement path can be elevated.

That's good advice, actually. Thanks!

You can get a little self indulgent if you like - The Hourglass

- Quboid

123. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 21:39 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 11:54:
(I've also begun making every roundabout out of freeway pieces. Yeah, you lose the ability to zone next to it, but that roundabout is there to move traffic, not to have a giant mall created in it.)

Freeway pieces don't have pavements/sidewalks so it can be worth putting paths in by hand if you expect a lot of pedestrian traffic. The pavement path can be elevated.

- Quboid

122. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 19, 2015, 21:21 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 16:43:
Baristan wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 16:39:
Watch out putting too many water pumps on a river. You can end up reversing the flow, sucking sewage into the drinking supply.

LOL. Holy shit that would be terrible.

Commercial demand is really weird. The patch today definitely seems to have fixed the lack of demand I had, though, as it's now solidly in the middle of the bar, and stays there no matter how much I plant. (which makes sense, because it had been zero for roughly 15K people.)

And now they're all whining they've got nothing to sell... Sigh

Parks decreased commercial demand. No idea why that was ever a thing. A mod fixed it for me and now it seems fine but now I also have lots of demand. I had lots of offices to provide jobs to my overeducated workforce so I'm rezoning some of that.

My city is now at 125K. Trains get fouled up sometimes but my road traffic has been fine. I tend to create artery style layouts which seems to be the way to go. Even there is a SNAFU, I don't have a large grid that means any fix will just move the jam down a block.

- Quboid

108. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 18, 2015, 00:18 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 17, 2015, 23:41:
Btw, they've now sold 500K!

Quboid, please explain about the footpaths. Do you mean you have pedestrian paths going to things like metro lines and such? Can't pedestrians automatically walk around in residential areas?

Here's where you can export your own height maps to play on. (import them into the map editor) Works like a charm.

They can walk along roads but by using paths you can avoid complicating traffic.

Example - the park separates residential on the left and offices on the right.

In the residential area, the smaller road that loops up the hill away from the beach is connected by a path to the main avenue where there's a metro station (and a 2x2 park, as the noise would make a resident sick). It's harder to see but there's a short path connecting one street in the office district to another with a metro station, just above the turn-off from the same avenue. The central metro station gives my people another option, since the tunnel is there.

Plenty of citizens also just walk to work using the path between the districts. If this path was a road, half of that residential district would use it to drive to work and cause a bottleneck - a six lane avenue probably wouldn't be as efficient as a gravel path.

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 00:14:
You avoided landfills completely? Or you emptied your existing ones later and deleted them?

If I don't place a landfill within ~ 0.00000000000000002 seconds of unlocking Little Hamlet, everyone drowns in trash and leaves. It's like fucking Fenway Park in all my cities...

Once incinerators were unlocked, I started using them and never looked back. They're expensive but it gets rid of the rubbish which landfills don't do - when you empty one, they just move it somewhere else. I'd like a cheaper option so maybe I should use landfills somehow.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2015, 00:28.

- Quboid

4879 Comments. 244 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo