Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4397 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Aug 21, 2014, 22:19 Quboid

Oh the sexting service. Yeah, we're old.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Into the Black Aug 21, 2014, 22:01 Quboid

That's Reddit. What's the yellow one with the Pac-Man ghost?  

- Quboid

2. Re: Into the Black Aug 21, 2014, 20:06 Quboid

So I guess WhatsApp is a pretty big deal now. Damn kids, what was wrong with a letter in the mail?  

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Aug 21, 2014, 19:47 Quboid

Which is better for a road racing simulator, an Xbox 360 gamepad or a midrange single stick joystick (Madcatz Fly5)?

Which is nicer to use is very subjective but I wonder if one has been proven to be better, like how whether keyboard/mouse or gamepad is nicer for an FPS is subjective but the gamepad player will objectively get slaughtered.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Preorder Bonus
8. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Preorder Bonus Aug 21, 2014, 09:21 Quboid

InBlack wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 06:48:
I skipped the last civilization, but as a hardcore Sci-Fi fan as well as a fan of the original Alpha-Centauri Im most probably getting this is soon as its released and Ive read some word-of mouth reviews. I have little doubt that its going to be a fine game, but in today's day and age of, its better to be safe than sorry. So, no preorder for me.

The assumption seems to be that this is Civ V meets Alpha Centauri. I hope so, having loved both those games, but that seems like a risky assumption to make and I'm not going to preorder either. I expect it will be like Civ V but there's no guarantee that it will be like SMAC aside from the general setting.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc., etc.
26. Re: etc., etc. Aug 20, 2014, 14:24 Quboid

There are gaming journalists who own the site they work for. The likes of Blue and TotalBiscuit aren't journalists but they do have contacts and I trust them to not be bought in who/how they cover titles.

I think GiantBomb was set up precisely to avoid this bullshit, after one of their founders had been fired from GameSpot for reasons that definitely did not include giving a shitty game a shitty review when said shitty game was advertised all over GameSpot. That doesn't mean they're unbuyable of course.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2014, 14:45.

- Quboid

News Comments > Metro 2033/Redux Comparison
7. Re: Metro 2033/Redux Comparison Aug 20, 2014, 11:07 Quboid

The differences go beyond graphical and I can see that Last Light's improved stealth system would make 2033 more enjoyable. YouTube doesn't do this any favours either, after its compression any texture upgrades will be lost. Still, without the labels I wouldn't know which version 95% of this is from either and at 4:40, the non-redux version looks better - again, I blame YouTube for making Redux's fancy weather effects just look like poor view distance.

I quite like what they're doing with these. If they're making a new-gen console version, it would suck to not apply upgrades to the PC version and I can see how this goes beyond a mere patch. It's a shame they're pricing these so highly and a 50% discount on Last Light Redux for someone who owns Light Light and all its DLC is really poor value.

I could see myself buying these in a sale when I next upgrade my graphics card. If they were discounted by 50% on top of the 50% discount of existing owners, 2033 Redux would be good value. Last Light is one of the few games in the last decade to actually make me stop and marvel at the graphics, and this was in an dingy underground watermill, so I could be persuaded to part with a few quid before playing that again.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 2014, 19:12.

- Quboid

News Comments > Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"
43. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 20:15 Quboid

I've recently been replaying Crysis and it holds up really well. Parts of it reminded me of Far Cry 3, like as I prepared to attack an enemy base. I've got nearly as far as the aliens so, eeeeh, I think I'm done with that. It looks very nice, as I can now turn on most of the effects at a resolution above what its UI allowed for.

I think they made good games which were also good tech demos. Far Cry had unusually large open levels with varied combat and although Crysis was more linear it added destruction and the nano-suit, which is a neat feature IMHO. Being charitable, for what it tried to be Crysis 2 was quite good and Crysis 3 looked like much the same - which is why I never bought it.

Each game, Far Cry, Crysis, C2, and from second hand experience C3 and Ryse has had less open level design, fewer options and less fun. Far Cry 2 and 3 have gone the opposite route and the franchise is stronger than ever. Also, no stupid aliens.

Did anyone else try X-Isle, their dinosaur themed tech demo from a few years before Far Cry was released? IIRC it *gasp* required a Geforce 3 and when I got one, oh man that was beautiful!

- Quboid

9. Re: Into the Black Aug 19, 2014, 09:17 Quboid

El Pit wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 06:13:
jdreyer, blind on one eye...

Looting and molotov cocktails are an act of free speech for you? Or means of peaceful protest? You know what those protesters should do? Hire buses, drive to Washington, and ALL OF THEM should stand in front of the White House. Not throwing molotov cocktails, not even shouting anything, just standing there in complete silence (no interviews, nothing!) and waiting with lots of press around them... I would expect a non-violent and most likely useful reaction by the government. THAT is the way to do it. But looting and throwing molotov cocktails and attacking other cops is the most idiotic reaction possible. Let's all prove how peaceful we are by starting a riot. Yeah, sure, makes totally sense.

By the way, a topic like this with a headline "into the Black" is somehow...

Plenty of peaceful protests have turned to violence precisely because the targets of the protest know that if they can antagonise a violent reaction from some protesters, people like you will readily write off the whole lot.

Violence in situations like this is not justified but it is inevitable and I blame those who made it inevitable, which in this case looks like the police. Even if the initial shooting was justified (and we'll likely never know), this reaction is years, even generations of pent up frustration at institutional discrimination coming out.

I doubt the looters (*not* those who just protest) give a toss about looking peaceful anyway. In their eyes, the police are a violent, dangerous enemy and their actions are justified. They're wrong and each and every looter should face criminal charges, but collectively what the hell do the police expect? Like the London looting in 2011 or the Troubles in Northern Ireland when I was growing up, you can't treat a group of people as inferior, sub-humans and then be surprised that they get angry.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2014, 09:29.

- Quboid

News Comments > BOID Announced
7. Re: BOID Announced Aug 18, 2014, 20:18 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 20:30:
Quboid wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 17:12:
They've got two thirds of a really awesome name!

But only 1 third interesting game.... ;p

I've got more than enough game for both of us.

- Quboid

News Comments > Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft
46. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 20:15 Quboid

saluk wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 19:16:
10+? The amount of gaming population that needs/wants to spend 10+ hours in one go on a gaming session is tiny. Much smaller than the vr market I'd imagine. The average I'd imagine is somewhere around 3, perhaps skewing higher for certain game types like mmo or moba. If that 2-3 hour experience of vr is substantially better/different than 2-3 hours on more comfortable gaming devices, it can still carve out a sizable niche.

If you can't play more than 10 minutes without barfing, and that's the average for most folks, there will be issues. And barfing. I skipped the DK2 until I can try it because I fell into the unfortunate bucket of not being able to overcome vr sickness on DK1.

I always thought notches outburst in the first place was a bit silly, since the minecrift mod even at that time was already working great for most people. An "official" rift component to minecraft will be nice for people but it's not that substantial. So far facebook-owned oculus doesn't feel different to me than before, it still remains to be seen if that was a good or bad move.

10+ was going overboard, no gaming session that long is ever a good idea

I was surprised to find that my DK1 caused little motion sickness as I'm prone to this when travelling. It's the feel of wearing a scuba mask that gets uncomfortable after an hour or so. I completely forget about quickly when playing, but eventually my face will feel sweaty and my eyes will tire.

I expect that the advancements in DK2 (75hz vs 60hz, 1080 vs 800, non-persistence) will reduce eye strain and that this will improve with each release. Based on what they've said and the presumed 2015 release, I expect that CV1 will be 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 at 90hz.

There's a few things they can do to improve the comfort, although I don't know how practical they are. A counter-balance on the back would help but I don't think there's a good way to do this - there's nothing like a battery pack that could logically be moved to the back of the head. Some sort of ventilation would help too. Reducing the weight is best thing of course, but I can't imagine they can knock a whole lot off (although not including the bezel from a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 would surely help).

- Quboid

29. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 16:47 Quboid

yonder wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 16:43:
Are any of your opinions based in fact? You confuse "changing ones mind about concepts" with "selling out" and you think that someone with a net value of 33 billion is a "multi-millionaire". And you wonder why you're the town jester.

Keep being hilarious. We'll keep laughing.

He's referring to Notch ($150M), not Mark Zuckerberg ($33B). I still don't see how this is selling out, neither what principle he's selling nor what money he's receiving.

- Quboid

26. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 16:24 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 15:10:
Quboid wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 13:22:
I would have thought Minecraft isn't very suited to the Rift. I wouldn't want to spend an entire evening wearing the DK1's headset in one go and I don't expect that to change in the near future.

I've been watching Minecraft vids on Google Cardboard to get an idea of what it would be like, and it's totally awesome. You get completely immersed in the world. MC is one of the best uses of VR due to the wide variety of object distance, providing a sense of scale and depth lacking on a flat screen. Standing on the edge of a cliff is both breathtaking and induces a sense of vertigo. Caves intimidate extending down into the dark distance. Trees reach into the sky. It's easy to assess the distance of approaching mobs. The only OR game movie I've seen that is similar is Skyrim.

I can see that it would be very suited for a while but I don't think existing VR tech is ready for someone to spend 3, 4, 10+ hours with in one go. I have the DK1 and it's not comfortable enough for this. I expect CV1 will be lighter and CV2 (or whatever version the second major revision will be) to be a big improvement as they hone the hardware and supply lines but not enough I guess.

Comfort is probably VR's biggest hurdle at this point. Something like those Oakley MP3 player sunglasses should be the aim but we're quite some way away from that.

Edit: This is oddly similar to what Cutter said, despite me predicting Rift would succeed and Cutter predicting it would fail

- Quboid

10. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 13:59 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 13:47:
Quboid wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 13:22:
I'm glad to see he's reconsidered, I thought he sounded a bit childish before. He hasn't sold out unless he's being paid which is possible but seems extremely unlikely given his reported wealth.

I would have thought Minecraft isn't very suited to the Rift. I wouldn't want to spend an entire evening wearing the DK1's headset in one go and I don't expect that to change in the near future.

When you abandon your principles for money that's called selling out.

Right, but what principle and what money? He doesn't like Facebook but that doesn't mean he needs to boycott it out of principle - he said it is creepy, not morally repugnant. I can't imagine Oculus could pay him enough to endorse it and I can't imagine official Rift support for Minecraft would cause a noticeable spike in sales.

- Quboid

8. Re: Notch Softens View on Oculus Minecraft Aug 18, 2014, 13:22 Quboid

I'm glad to see he's reconsidered, I thought he sounded a bit childish before. He hasn't sold out unless he's being paid which is possible but seems extremely unlikely given his reported wealth.

- Quboid

News Comments > BOID Announced
4. Re: BOID Announced Aug 17, 2014, 17:12 Quboid

They've got two thirds of a really awesome name!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 16:49 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 16:25:
I play both. SCGO is arcade twitch. Insurgency is stripped of all hud/indicators and is tactical. You won't know you killed someone unless you pull up the scoreboard or go find the body. Insurgency is a great game to fill the void left by CoD/BF/CS arcade twitch kiddie games.

Sounds like I definitely picked the right one.

That's one very good thing that struck me in the few games of Insurgency I played: the community seemed mature and voice chat was tactical stuff, not kiddies. It's not a game for the impatient.

You mentioned spawn camping in one game which shouldn't happen and shouldn't really be possible. I was in the opponent team and saw several team mates' blips on my map around your spawn area. I didn't go near, honest. I'm fine with camping (i.e. realism) but spawn camping is shitty behaviour.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 15:13 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 10:17:
I thought I wouldn't like CS:GO but I decided to give it a whirl due to the sale weekend. It is surprisingly fun, a lot of old school charm and the FPS mechanics are still tight and enjoyable. It is not at all innovative but just well executed. I'm having a much better time with it than Payday 2 which has inconsistent AI and mission scripting that seems bizarre. I was really hoping for a videogame version of Heat from Payday 2 but it falls well short.

I picked up Insurgency when it was on sale recently and had much the same reaction: nothing especially new, but old school (MoH:AA, CoD1 era) multiplayer just done really well. I wonder how CS:GO compares, anyone played both?

- Quboid

5. Re: Behind-the-scenes photographs from the set of ‘Alien’ (1979) Aug 13, 2014, 22:02 Quboid

MajorD wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 19:25:
Badejo was allowed to rehearse and practice his movements on the set of the spacecraft “Nostromo” prior to filming.

Well, that's nice of them, he was casted for the part after all. Confused

That's a really odd line, like people thought it was improvised on the spot. Ridley Scott saw this guy and said "whey aye, you're a tall bloke, wear this and act all alien like when I shout 'action'".

It's not referring to some extensive audition, the previous sentence makes that clear. I can only think that they went to unusual lengths to get him practising in the suit and on-set as early as possible.

- Quboid

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Trailers
16. Re: Far Cry 4 Trailers Aug 13, 2014, 14:24 Quboid

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Trying to define value for money is difficult but the length of the game is a simple and relatively objective way to get it wrong.

FC3's pacing would have been better if the interesting (if a bit over the top) villain wasn't killed off and replaced by Generic McGenericson. The second island was a pleasant surprise for me.

- Quboid

4397 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo