Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4317 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 31, 2014, 13:51 Quboid

If she gets 10c because I have a Facebook account, does that mean I get to see the pictures? Seems fair to me.

I would have sympathy for someone in her position if she had, by all appearances, used it to frivolously aim for a pay day. I can understand suing the ex-boyfriend but unless that article is missing some crucial details, Facebook was only guilty of not taking orders from random people.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2014, 13:39 Quboid

nin wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:35:
DrSquick wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:23:
I would definitely watch a four-player Let's Play!

Honestly, let's plays are my TV these days...I get home from work, do house stuff, get an hour or two of game time in, and then watch Let's Plays for dinner/relax before bed. Sometimes it's games I'm interested in, sometimes it's stuff I would never play, just to see what the fuss is about.

I have a coworker who doesn't understand this, and says that if I'm watching a game, why not just go play it. But to me, it's like TV - something to relax to, and watch other people goof around in (and sometimes produce hilarious results) (Rooster Teeth's/Let's Play of GTA are a fucking riot, where they plan/attempt to execute their own heists, in game).

edit: I'm sure part of it also comes down to the personality of the players, and if they're entertaining. But I'd definitely check out if Blue ever did anything like that...

I'm finding this too, to the point where I even watch YouTube stuff on my secondary monitor while gaming sometimes.

For me, these videos are a lot more about the personality than the game and I have no reason to believe that Blue is particularly suited to this. I'd certainly watch a stream on Twitch and chat but I wouldn't assume he can be the next PewDiePie just because he writes a good OotB. (I don't like PewDiePie much, IMHO he crosses over the line between silly and stupid, but he's certainly successful.)

If my kitten is running around letting off steam then highly involved gaming isn't practical as I need to keep an eye and an ear on him unless I want my carpet pee'd on. Civilization V is perfect for this as I can drop (** he literally just started digging at the carpet as I typed drop ... but he changed his mind and ran to his litter tray. Good boy! **) everything and deal with him. I can hear the video and won't miss anything in-game even if I don't have time to hit Escape.

He really tried to illustrate my point there, perfect timing! He doesn't understand that you can't see us, bless him. At least I hope you can't.

- Quboid

30. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 21:33 Quboid

We're not in her hospital room lecturing her. People only talk about these things directly after they happen, if safety isn't discussed now it never will be (not that we're changing the world...).  

- Quboid

28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 30, 2014, 20:34 Quboid

NKD wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 15:59:
It's not about blaming her or whatever, it's about using the situation to teach others. It seems to me this is exactly the kind of situation that reinforces the need to educate people on the buddy system and safety in numbers when attending events.

This could happen to anyone, not just teens, not just girls. EVERYONE needs to take basic safety precautions at these types of events.

It matters. If a little education can prevent more people from being victimized, it absolutely matters.

Well said, NKD.

There's an attitude in regards to sexual assault that because it should never happen, suggesting safety precautions is to blame the victim. The world is a shitty place and we all take some precautions, it's downright dangerous to treat sexual assault differently.

- Quboid

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
15. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 17:23 Quboid

Thanks. Figures, Ryse looked rysible - bet no one has made that joke before - and it sucks for the employees but the game deserved to fail. Design by marketing department, cinematic-ness over gameplay, QTEs, it looked like a send up of AAA development.

I've seen little of Warface so I'm excluding it but otherwise, Crytek have gone backwards in gameplay with every game. Far Cry, Crysis, C2, C3, Ryse - each time, the gameplay has been more limited in order to make the game look better: style over substance. If that's what has brought them down, and that's a massive oversimplification at best, then I'm glad that the market has better taste than Crytek gave them credit for. Take heed, survivors and other developers.

Gaming is too big to disappear like in the 80's but budgets have got out of control and that bubble will burst if it isn't already bursting. With BF4 and CoD:G both having the worst receptions of their respective series', the next few years could be interesting. Or it could be like the movie industry where one flop kills a studio but the volume of big budget releases doesn't seem to slow.

- Quboid

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
8. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 15:05 Quboid

Did the reason for the developers of Crysis, I presume a well selling game, to be in this situation ever be confirmed? Did Ryse fail as hard as it deserved to?

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2014, 17:24.

- Quboid

News Comments > Firefall Launches
21. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 30, 2014, 09:26 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 00:01:
Indirectly paying real money for it does nothing to give you an advantage over not doing so, but saving you the time and trouble. That is not pay to win... To have any argument for P2W, it would have to be true that you could ONLY get high-quality gear by paying real money, etc.

I said earlier "IMHO even if the same gear can be bought with in-game currency, the integrity is shot" so it seems that this isn't the game for me. There are imbalances inherent in gaming, PC gaming in particular, but I draw the line at explicit advantages added by the game's developers.

Even if there wasn't a competitive advantage, paying real money to save time and effort is the same business model as Facebook games and has the same major problem: the developer has motivation to make their game worse in order to extort money out of gamers, and there are no developers who I can trust to avoid this. The most trustworthy devs are the Forza ones and that's because they actually admitted going out of their way to make their game worse in order to frustrate gamers into paying more money.

- Quboid

7. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 23:06 Quboid

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 22:40:
I'd LOVE to hear any arguments about how being able to buy gear other people have found and put up for sale with real money (via Red beans -> Credits -> gear) makes it "pay to win." That gives you no advantage over people who are actually earning that loot, and you still have to put in the dozens of hours of playtime to progress your frame from 1-40 to be able to use that uber gear... Which honestly does not even give you that huge of an advantage over the crappiest quality junk you can cheaply craft in terms of sheer power, and then still relies on your skill to actually be able to use the thing.

There's your argument. "Not a huge advantage" implies some advantage.

- Quboid

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 29, 2014, 22:09 Quboid

Ribbing for our pleasure, Creston?

I'd guess that the sort of person who volunteers to have a camera crew follow them is the sort of person who likes the sound of their own voice; not a benchmark.

I've only talked to a cop once in my car, and she just commented that it looked uncomfortable. It was a checkpoint, not an accident, so she basically just flagged me down, commented that my car looked uncomfortable, and sent me on my way. Very odd. I had another cop that I'd happened to park beside offer to swap his armoured police Land Rover for mine, an ex-military antique Land Rover. I bet theirs is worth a lot more, but I dread to think what the mileage is!

I've never considered our po-po to be particularly cra-cra but I guess those two were. I think Northern Irish cops are the only UK ones regularly armed so that's comforting

- Quboid

3. Re: Firefall Launches Jul 29, 2014, 20:52 Quboid

Slayblaze wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 20:17:
Best MMO available right now. Totally Free also - you can even buy the real-money currency with in-game free currency that you earn just by playing what has turned out to be a super-fun Release build of the game.

I noticed earlier today that The Elder Scrolls Online is £50 and that only includes 1 month. I can't imagine paying that sort of money without even a trial version AFAIK. I did try the beta but lost motivation after spending ages designing my character, just to have my client crash before saving it. (Also, why is it 30% more expensive than in the US?)

Free-to-Play doesn't have to be Pay-to-Win. Load Out does it pretty well, nothing that directly affects your performance can be bought with real money. You can buy a booster so you get more rewards at the end of games but other than that, it's all cosmetic stuff. Some of it was amazingly over priced but the gameplay was pure. You would never feel like you got beaten because someone spent more money, which is crucial to me.

Can you buy anything that affects your performance in Firefall? Weapons, armour, classes, that sort of thing? IMHO even if the same gear can be bought with in-game currency, the integrity is shot.

- Quboid

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 29, 2014, 14:34 Quboid

The article hints at a key part of this but doesn't expand on it:
"Police are to start seizing driversí mobile phones after a crash in order to check whether they were texting or calling while at the wheel."

Given how our police don't bother doing anything if they see someone using an electronic device while driving, I'm all in favour of them at least enforcing it when there actually is an accident. It really depends what is meant by seizing: getting a IMEI or phone number to check if it transmitted any data at the time of the crash is fine, taking someone's phone and demanding access to then jerk off to their sexting history is not.

- Quboid

News Comments > Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust
19. Re: Facepunch Announces Riftlight; Defends Rust Jul 28, 2014, 16:04 Quboid

PropheT wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 13:55:
His assertion that buying an Early Access copy of a game is like buying a pizza is outright bullshit, when if I order a pizza from Domino's I'm getting as absolutely close to what I asked for as they can possibly do and a timeframe for when I will receive it. With a video game, you could be buying a pizza and a year later get something that only somewhat resembles one, or could just get an email from Domino's a few months after your pizza was supposed to be delivered telling you that they're still figuring out how to procure toppings.

It IS funding the game, because if it's just buying an unfinished work with no actual timetable for completion the entire process becomes indistinguishable from a pyramid scheme.

I think what he meant is that Rust is funded. They have met the budget they require to finish the game and presumably did so quite some time ago. At this point, people buying Rust on Early Access are buying a product, not funding a creation. The analogy doesn't really stand up to further scrutiny, as you say.

This is something that I've wondered about with a certain space game that has its own take on crowd funding. At some point, there's enough money to finish the game. Then what? Do they stop selling access? Fat chance, and I don't blame them. Do they expand the development to fit their income? That's so impractical it is virtually impossible. Do they hire more staff and rush development? That's at best inefficient and can easily be counter-productive. I can't see a realistic alternative to the developer getting rich and while I don't like Early Access, I don't see any reason to begrudge them. *As long as they finish the damn game in good time!*

(Massively stupid article presentation. Yeah, I'm sure no one on the Internet only reads the headline...)

- Quboid

News Comments > GTA4 iCEnhancer Mod Author Taking a Break
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2014, 13:49 Quboid

Any mod that contains anything new (such as a new model, a texture/skin, a map) is a creative work and therefore is copyrighted. The creator has a right to demand permission to redistribute, not just get credit. It's a grey area if the mod is just changing existing content (such as tweaking a file) but this goes way past that.

Is the problem that he put stuff in the video that isn't in the mod (including the 3 texture packs on his site) or that these texture packs include textures that aren't his to redistribute? Either is poor form but only the later goes beyond an oversight.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
108. Re: Op Ed Jul 27, 2014, 11:46 Quboid

On Yahtzee's Let's Drown Out series (him from Zero Punctuation, he does a weekly Let's Play / Podcast hybrid) there's a guy called Gabe who refers to the "someone covered in shit" principle. This is where somebody is making an excellent case for something with a compelling argument really getting people thinking - only for someone covered in shit to stand up beside them and shout "I agree!", derailing the conversation and rendering the argument ineffectual.

That's what these MRA pricks and their ilk are, people covered in shit. Hiding your sexism behind feminism? You're a person covered in shit.

I must have missed that thread, Beamer, although I doubt I'm any worse off for having done so. Blocking someone because you disagree with them is weak but blocking them for how they said it is more understandable, which I think is what you're implying.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 26, 2014, 22:26 Quboid

I think that legislation is coming, one way or the other. Classifying the Internet as a utility would cause the least amount of legislation by far I would guess, as it is a fairly blanket term with plenty of precedent. Other options (neutral or not) would require defining a whole new concept and decades of legal battles and loopholes and exceptions and appeals and oh so much paperwork.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
105. Re: Op Ed Jul 26, 2014, 21:50 Quboid

yuastnav wrote on Jul 26, 2014, 17:58:
This whole business of blocking someone because you got really emotional over something that person said is silly.
Come on people, you have a perfectly functioning brain. You can read something someone said and then decide on the fly whether you want to just dismiss it outright or further think about it.
It's not that you can actually get dumber by reading something.

I understand blocking someone because of spam, which I rarely see here, but because of opinions?

I was wondering if there was more to it, and apparently there is. I don't like blocking anyone ever but I appreciate that others feel differently. Some people seem to regularly misunderstand Beamer and get angry at him over their own weird misinterpretation so it's good that it's not that again. I once saw someone get angry at him for saying that Simcity 2013 getting an offline mode was good for consumers. I mean, disagreeing with that takes determination and talent, it's almost admirable.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
101. Re: Op Ed Jul 25, 2014, 23:36 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 12:28:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 25, 2014, 12:18:
A rebuttal to what exactly? How bullying and harassment as a pretense to getting your way by hiding behind "equality" and "tolerance" is bad? That has to be explained? People like Beamer and jdreyer don't care at all about helping others. They are in it just for making everyone feel as miserable as they are. Racism, women's rights, gay marriage, etc. doesn't matter to them. It's pretend. It's a show. They latch onto these things only to perpetuate an intolerance they created. That's their motive. Not to help but to make everyone fight each other. Meanwhile any actual gains are lost because of their bogus ideas.

Your worldview is terrifying.

His worldview is convenient. Anybody who seems more open minded than him is actually a phoney. I honestly don't think he has considered the possibility that people can actually have empathy.

I'm very surprised that Verno blocks Beamer. Verno, just because you disagree with him? Beamer's not the sort to resort to things like throwing stupid labels around, which FWIW I appreciate you calling out.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Free for All
17. Re: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Free for All Jul 23, 2014, 21:13 Quboid

NKD wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 20:33:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 19:27:
I guess? I mean, I bought Sims 3 for my wife to play, and she fooled around with it for a few hours and never returned.

Your wife never returned?! Sorry to hear that bro. There are other fish in the sea!

That sucks but I've finished with people for less. I'm not sure what else you'd expect with a present like that.

- Quboid

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
54. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 23, 2014, 20:46 Quboid

Flatline wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 19:51:
Quboid wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 01:07:
In real life if I was forced to ... well, that's besides the point. Whatever the reason, it wouldn't be because reality was scripted in a way that created a contrived a plot line. Whatever happened in real life wouldn't rip me out of the experience and remind me that I'm not really there.

Actually that's exactly the point.

Seriously, "bomb the shit out of coordinates X,Y NOW SOLDIER" is a thing that happens in real life. And in real life occasionally that has resulted in innocent people being killed or lethal friendly fire. How you deal with committing an atrocity is the entire point of the game.

Shit as a soldier you're taught not to question orders, especially in the heat of battle.

You're actually illustrating the point of the game designers pretty well.

But reality is realistic. If this happened in real, it would not remind me that I'm sitting at home, playing a game. Reality doesn't have its immersion broken because of unrealistic scripting limitations.

This did not put me in the position of a soldier who does something terrible by mistake, nor did it put me in the position of a solider who was ordered to do something terrible. It put me in the position of sitting safely in a room about 3,500 miles from Dubai.

I wasn't thinking "oh what a terrible thing" or "oh I'm a terrible person", I was thinking "oh lame, the devs assumed I wouldn't notice that they're civilians from their outline in the mortar's sight but I did". I wasn't forced by an order from a commanding officer or any other realistic reason, I was forced because the game didn't offer any of the myriad of actual options that reality does offer.

I felt frustrated and removed from the game's version of reality. If this was intentional to make me feel the madness that's taking over my character, then these developers screwed up worse than I ever thought because at least for me, any meta connotations completely backfired. Feeling like the developers got carried away does not replicate the feelings one would have after accidentally brutally burning to death innocent civilians, in much the same way as my Windows desktop doesn't replicate the bravery and consequences of refusing an order.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Free for All
8. Re: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Free for All Jul 23, 2014, 19:20 Quboid

I think this is 99% trying to get people to sign up for and sign in to Origin, and 1% them giggling at the thought of gamers resentfully typing in that product code.

If it was The Sims 3, I'd check it out. Then again, I run Origin most of the time as it, and am currently alt-tabbed out of an Origin game.

- Quboid

4317 Comments. 216 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo