Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4502 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Oct 18, 2014, 12:54 Quboid

eRe4s3r, you seem to be viewing this as being gaming press vs gamers. They mean it as tolerance verses intolerance. I believe the "obstinate child" they are referring to is the sort of bully that the original "gamers are over" articles were actually criticising and that they list examples of.

This (as I see it) misinterpretation is behind a lot of self-perpetuating anger. I haven't actually seen anyone of any significance criticise gamers in general. There probably has been but I don't believe that has ever been the intention of Polygon's preaching. There have been badly written articles and naivety in expecting everyone to comprehend beyond what the headline says but not criticism of gamers in general.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
15. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 18, 2014, 10:21 Quboid

I'd like to see the story line resolved and get to know more about City 17 and such like. I'm not sure the actual game would be particularly special at this point, it may have a touch of the Godfather 3's about it - good but utterly overshadowed by its predecessors.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 17, 2014, 09:24 Quboid

That really does sound awful. Who would fund something like this?

$124USD RAISED OF $150,000 GOAL

Ah, so seemly virtually no one. It's only been running for a day or two so that could change but so far it appears to be bombing as hard as it deserves to.

- Quboid

News Comments > Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released
5. Re: Trine Series Sells 7M; Editors Released Oct 16, 2014, 20:34 Quboid

I didn't know this was even mildly successful. Congratulations to them. I suppose now's the time to check it out.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
20. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 15, 2014, 22:11 Quboid

Prez wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 20:09:
If it wasn't Bono's/U2's idea, then why is Bono apologizing? His apology definitely seems to imply he had some say in the matter doesn't it?

It's really hard to picture U2 even discussing the technical aspects beyond "it will be free on iTunes until <insert date>" - I don't think Apple would welcome U2's suggestions and I don't think U2 would want to get involved. But then, the apology does imply that they had input. It's really hard to picture anyone anywhere thinking that this would be a good idea so I'm really not sure.

I think the apology is because he's getting blamed and trying to explain it is more hassle than it would be worth, and it would just sound like he's weaseling out. It's easier to defuse the situation by issuing this appropriately self-deprecating apology (although if he did have nothing to do with it then this actually would be weaseling out).

I may be looking at this through permanently attached rose-tinted sunglasses as I'm one of the few remaining U2 fans. I tried to get this album and couldn't find the "Download" button in iTunes for some reason

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 15, 2014, 19:59 Quboid

nin wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 11:52:
Creston wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 11:47:
Drop of megalomania, touch of generosity, dash of self-promotion, and deep fear that these songs that we poured our life into over the last few years might not be heard.

Fuck you, Bono. You're not fucking entitled to have everyone in the western hemisphere listen to your songs just because you "poured your life into it." Asshole.

U2 made an album and got paid, like they always do. You should be pissed at apple. They're the ones who threw it in their client.

At no point did Bono hack the icloud and upload his files.

Agreed. U2 (which is more than just Bono, BTW) didn't give the okay for this, the technical details of how it was distributed wouldn't be a part of the contract.

I would expect they are fuming at Apple behind the scenes, Apple were incredibly naive to dump this album out to everyone and cause U2 all this embarrassment.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
73. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 19:30 Quboid

I can see where you're coming from, ASeven. Fundamentally I have a different interpretation of what the "Gamers are Dead" articles were about and who they criticised so we're never going to see eye to eye on this.

I guess I don't see either side as being all that different - both have good points and I probably agree with most people on each side (or perhaps not; it can be a fallacy to assume a silent majority agrees with you). However, there are people on both sides who make a lot of noise and pollute the debate which causes everyone involved in the debate to be highly defensive. This naturally leads many on both sides to adopt a siege mentality, propagating the us-against-them mentality.

When I said that GamerGate is bad for gaming, I didn't mean pro-GamerGate positions. I meant the debate in its entirety and how we're crying out for proper debate that elements of both sides are making impossible. Ultimately I'm anti-pro-GamerGate and I'm anti-anti-GamerGate. I'm also anti-broad-labels-that-encourage-generalisation so basically I don't much like the whole topic.

I was wrong to use GamerGate to describe the entire debate as it's established as referring specifically to one side. I apologise for this and while I keep telling myself not to get involved in these threads, when I inevitably do I will make an effort to avoid making this mistake again.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
61. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 17:47 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 17:36:
Someone the other day asked about drowning out others, this is exactly what I meant.

I think that was me; although I asked about directly controlling the conversation it was referring to the same post of yours. I still don't see the problem, did you mean he makes his point and responding to people who respond to him? You meant not surrendering or hiding when challenged? Why is ASeven any different to Beamer in this regard?

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
59. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 17:36 Quboid

ASeven wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 15:00:
Also, you don't get to say I focus on a few to paint a large picture because that's all you lot, not you specifically mind, have been doing, calling all gamers misogynists, and far worse, and painting all of us under a very large brush. Before you accuse me of generalization, look at your own camp first.

I did, hence the bit about "what the rest of GamerGate seems to think of that". You have repeatedly generalised, even in this very post and in posts on this thread since.

They're not my camp and the line "you lot, not you specifically mind" is very telling. Why did you exclude me? I think it was because you realised you were generalising and you caught on enough to not include me (on this particular occasion, you lump me in with them throughout the rest of this post). However, you still generalised and tarred all but one of this imaginary camp with this brush.

I haven't commented on TFYC because I don't know much about it and it's nothing to do with me. It's your own misunderstanding that people who disagree with you are in some camp and pointing out inconsistencies is not pointing out hypocrisy, it's disproving your own stupid assumption.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
20. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 16:31 Quboid

Verno wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:29:
Quboid wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:06:
That's not quite what he was saying, it was more like "someone regularly has a different opinion than quite a few people, they must be doing it for attention". I disagree with him, but it wasn't as alternate-opinion-adverse as you imply.

My greasemonkey script is snipping a bunch of this but what I meant was that he literally flipflops on things, probably to drive attention/clicks. I was speaking about this one specific person, not in general about anyone with an alternate opinion. I've seen him do this stuff many times, not giving a shit with one company or game then making it a big issue in another. It's a tiresome schtick but sadly hes definitely a lifer in the industry.

I was referring to another comment in another thread that Beamer mentioned. I didn't even know who Arthur Gies was until I Googled the name.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
47. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 16:26 Quboid

Who of any relevance has said that all gamers are misogynists?

By "any relevance" I mean either in a position of importance within the industry (such as a developer or journalist who is active and is respected by at least some, a gaming news site editor, a prominent YouTuber) or who has been given relevance by some means (such as a guest editorial on a respected gaming website).

(edit: I don't mean to imply no one has, this isn't meant as a challenge like that. I don't expect many have but I honestly don't know.)

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2014, 16:34.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
26. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 14:51 Quboid

Are you honestly stupid enough to think that ISIS trying to hijack hashtags is an endorsement? Evidently yes. They're also keen on the BBC's "The Price Of Football" report, the trouble in the Serbia - Albania football match and the scorer of Ireland's late, late equaliser against Germany. Or they post their propaganda under the trending tags.

I was going to point out how ridiculous it is for someone using the label SJW to talk about bias, and how you're focusing on the actions of the extreme few to paint a large group and what the rest of GamerGate seems to think of that but what's the point. Come on, ISIS propaganda?!

Uuuuuuuuuuugh, Jesus wept. Way to prove my point about idiots tainting the discussion.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 14:16 Quboid

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 13:55:
Quboid wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 12:55:
GamerGate is basically a protest and like every protest ever, the media pays attention to the extremists. Look at any G8 protest or whatever, when violence kicks off where are the cameras pointed?

This isn't just a case of a detached media going for the juicier bits of the story. This is a case of journalists with a variety of agendas, most of them self-serving, intentionally trying to slam what is in this case their own critics.

In mainstream media, that is exactly what it is. I doubt someone at Reuters feels that a writer at Polygon is "one of their own" and is more likely than most to understand the ethical concerns that (again IMHO) constitute a reasonable gripe against some games journalists.

However we have a situation whereby I could say "games journalists shouldn't tweet about an up coming game to try to win a console, that's not ethical" and the reaction of "oh right, ethics from the people who threaten women for joining a boys' club, give me a break" is horribly understandable, albeit not correct or fair. This isn't because any gaming journalists have twisted anything (although I believe some have, probably both intentionally and unintentionally), this is because generalising is human nature and the ship has long since sailed on GamerGate being anything other than shorthand for the extreme in the wider public eye - a confirmation of the stereotype that this whole thing started over misguided attempts to put to bed.

This comment was edited on Oct 15, 2014, 14:26.

- Quboid

10. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 13:06 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 12:45:
Verno wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 12:43:
Arthur Gies is a path of least resistance douchebag, as in he takes the shortest path to pissing people off that he can in virtually every circumstance. He doesn't really have personal opinions, he just flipflops around on whatever he thinks will drive the most attention.

This is another weird sentiment. nin said it about me yesterday.
"Someone has a different opinion than I do, they must be trying to get attention!"

That's not quite what he was saying, it was more like "someone regularly has a different opinion than quite a few people, they must be doing it for attention". I disagree with him, but it wasn't as alternate-opinion-adverse as you imply.

The one that amuses me is "someone likes something I don't, they must have been tricked into thinking they like it by marketing!".

I've never seen anyone suggest that they themselves have been tricked into thinking they like something, or that anyone else has ever been tricked into liking something they like. It's always other people with other opinions who only think they like CoD/Transformers/etc.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Oct 15, 2014, 12:55 Quboid

GamerGate is basically a protest and like every protest ever, the media pays attention to the extremists. Look at any G8 protest or whatever, when violence kicks off where are the cameras pointed?

The legitimate points (IMHO) in GamerGate are being drowned out or even tainted by a large volume of nonsense and I think GamerGate is bad for gamers as a result. This will always be seen as the protest group who are closed minded, who exert pressure on advertisers to shut down and censor opinions they don't like, who threaten women in gaming.

It shouldn't be like this? Well, I agree it shouldn't, but it is. The world doesn't stop and look at issues in detail and I'm not generalising when I say that everyone generalises.

- Quboid

6. Re: Game Reviews Oct 15, 2014, 12:28 Quboid

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Oct 15, 2014, 09:26:
"How dare he put his own world-view and issues in the way of the review? But thatís exactly what he should be doing."

No, it isn't.

Too many reviewers are using reviews as soapboxes instead of just presenting the facts and letting readers make up their own minds: http://tinyurl.com/l8puses

Reviews should be opinions, for a list of facts you can go to Wikipedia. Both the MCV article and the Dual Shockers article (what's with the tinyurl?) acknowledge this but the DS article goes on to talk about going from opinions to preaching, from reviewing to editorialising.

It is a mistake to have someone who thinks that Bayonetta 2 is overly sexualised write the review for it in the first place. Their opinion is clearly going to be different to that of virtually everyone who is interested in it so their perspective is largely irrelevant. Was this a surprise to them? Did they think it claims otherwise and that the people had a right to know the horrible truth? No chance.

How much value is there in someone who doesn't like RTS games reviewing Stronghold Crusaders 2? Some, certainly, there will be non-RTS fans wondering if maybe this will be the exception. But not a lot, because the vast majority of people looking for a review will be RTS fans and probably Stronghold fans. "Highly sexualised" isn't really a genre but in this regard I think it is comparable.

I mostly agree with that Dual Shockers article but this really undermines their point:
When you see games with extremely high production values like Destiny being slapped with a 4 or a 5, itís obvious that the reviewer is completely ignoring the objectively positive aspects of the title, and is replacing them with spite and misinformation in order to punish the developer for having released something that didnít match his personal expectations.

A highly polished turd is still a turd. I don't know about Destiny but I think it is silly to dismiss negative reviews because this author thinks that things like nice graphics can make an awful game good. I agree to some extent but to criticise reviewers for not thinking this way is to punish reviewers for having written something that didn't match his personal expectations.

- Quboid

16. Re: Game Reviews Oct 14, 2014, 16:38 Quboid

The average game probably is shallow entertainment, but then so is the average film, book or T.V. series. I think the only thing that will truly cause games to be seen in the same light is time. I think games are seen as much more "normal" now than in 1997 and it will get better.

Not all websites keep advertising and editorial divisions separate. This is clearly not representative of these sites but I wonder how much less explicit pressure is applied. I suspect a lot, but I don't imagine things were much different in 1997 or are any better amongst YouTubers.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
35. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 12, 2014, 20:24 Quboid

Sarcasm is a stupid way to make a point and he should know better but that's not representative of his posts. If it was, contrarian wouldn't be anyone's choice of word.  

- Quboid

33. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 12, 2014, 14:40 Quboid

What do you mean by "directly control the conversation"?

I say he's usually right because he argues an objective point with reasoned logic and cites sources proving his point, typically against people who think game publishers are like Bond villains - people so biased, they see anything other than absolutely condemnation of publishers as a sign of bias.

He'd be doing us all a discredit if he half-assed complicated issues with short answers, or if he abandoned a discussion because he didn't quickly change his mind.

- Quboid

31. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 12, 2014, 12:33 Quboid

nin wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 12:09:
Quboid wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 09:07:
nin, I thought you were smarter. Beamer doesn't pick the opposite, Beamer points out when people get lost in their own circle-jerk and 95% of the people who moan at him fail to understand his point.

Beamer's point ("goal" actually) is for everyone to talk to Beamer. He is a classic example of a contrarian, begging for your attention.

I really don't think he is. He calls out things that he thinks are wrong and then backs up his assertions. What's wrong with that? Should people not respond when counter-challenged? I certainly don't want this board to be people wallowing in ignorance and that does happen quite often. It helps that, in objective matters at least, he tends to be right.

I've seen people being incredibly contrarian to him, is this why? Do people assume he's being contrarian and therefore automatically disagree with him without seeing the irony?

- Quboid

4502 Comments. 226 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo