Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4681 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sid Meier's Starships Announced
8. Re: Sid Meier's Starships Announced Jan 19, 2015, 12:11 Quboid

It looks quite like GalCiv in this screenshot although the crew indicator at the bottom-left along with the name implies that you control a ship rather than a civilisation, or perhaps control a civilisation with your ship being a hero unit. It probably is Pirates! in space.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
98. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 21:31 Quboid

Thanks Verno, although I'm not standing up for anything. It's a shame but I don't think this warrants a boycott and I will buy GTA5 once it plays well - i.e. hopefully a few hours after release.

The reaction to this is really rather unexpected. I didn't think anybody would make the argument that removing content is fine because we can just pay for it again so I assumed "download" meant piracy. I was wrong to assume that because "and you pay for them too!" is actually being said as if it is a good thing and I did not see that coming.

- Quboid

85. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 10:46 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 10:17:
Quboid wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 09:25:
How have I moved the goal posts? The principle is that they sold me something and then took it away. That has always been my objection, my mysterious sense of entitlement to something that I am entitled to.

"If you think you understand license agreements" - read the part of my post which you removed from the quote which specifically addresses this.

There's nothing wrong with your complaint or attitude to be honest, I wouldn't give his post much thought. Being told to pirate some music to satisfy an unauthorized content removal in a video game is fucking hilarious.

My mild disapproval of Rockstar's handling of this seems to be terribly upsetting to some people.

"I'm surprised Blue hasn't been deleting posts advocating piracy, as he used to."
Literally 5 minutes later:
"As I've already stated...download the song"

OK buddy...

- Quboid

81. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 09:25 Quboid

How have I moved the goal posts? The principle is that they sold me something and then took it away. That has always been my objection, my mysterious sense of entitlement to something that I am entitled to.

"If you think you understand license agreements" - read the part of my post which you removed from the quote which specifically addresses this.

- Quboid

79. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 18, 2015, 08:52 Quboid

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 18, 2015, 00:38:
Wait. People are really upset about Rockstar removing a few licensed songs from GTA? Songs you can download and add to your own playlist in fucking seconds. If we were in the early 1990s you might have a reason to complain. To those people is this a thought that ever crossed your minds? I'm dying to see how you dismiss it. If you can be here right now to type out another stupid post you can reacquire those precious songs with at least the same amount of effort.

It's not the songs that matter, it's the principle of them taking something away that I have paid for. What if the next thing they take away is part of the game map? Perhaps a car or two?

Rockstar got this wrong and all the other details are irrelevant. License deal expired? They shouldn't have signed it. Limitation placed by rights holder? They shouldn't have signed it. Legally required to remove the songs now? They shouldn't have signed that deal in the first place. Releasing it on new platforms? They shouldn't have signed the deal that would affect people who had already paid in the first place. Impossible to broker a deal which lasts (despite apparently managing it for most of the music)? They shouldn't have sold content that they didn't have the right to sell in the first place.

FWIW, I absolutely do feel a sense of entitlement here - because I paid for it.

- Quboid

65. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 22:32 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 21:43:
try and explain yourself

Very well, I don't wish to duck any awkward questions so I will explain.

- They sold something.
- They took part of it away.
- Whatever the reason, it was their decisions that led to it.

I hope that's clear. Now you can go back to answering insults with insults, because you wouldn't want to be childish.

- Quboid

61. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 20:50 Quboid

Krovven, you have repeatedly been insulting and abusive to both me and others so I don't wish to discuss this topic with you.

NamecaF, your TL;DR needs a TL;DR

- Quboid

56. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 18:33 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 18:00:
As for San Andreas. Those bitching about the tracks being removed...who cares? And I'm sure you aren't still playing SA. Who still listens to the same ingame music 11 years later? I stopped listening to the ingame music about a week after I started playing it. Guaranteed you couldn't tell me what they were without looking them up. Do you understand why they were removed? If not, stop being a dumb ignorant fuck and look it up. Download the songs again and put them in the mp3 folder. Problem solved.

Running Down A Dream by Tom Petty.

I haven't played it for ages and I'm not likely to. That's not the point, it shows their recent form for how they respect their customers and that's the best indication of how they'll treat us next. I don't know why they were removed, I presume some licensing deal expired, but I don't really care. Whatever the reason, they shouldn't have let this come to pass and even if the mistake was 11 years ago, they should have repaired it before customers could be affected.

I own that MP3 but if I didn't, paying for the content again or pirating it aren't adequate options.

I don't consider this to be a particularly big deal and it won't stop me from buying GTA5 but it's blot on their copybook.

- Quboid

News Comments > H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology
17. Re: H1Z1 Airdrop Explanation/Apology Jan 17, 2015, 16:38 Quboid

Neilsouth wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 15:32:
REFUNDS ENDS MONDAY

If you want to get a refund through Steam for H1Z1, "Go to your Account Details >> Store Transactions and there will be a "Request a refund" underneath the total cost for H1Z1. Click that and it should refund the cost of the game into your steam wallet."

Valve supposedly have a policy of allowing one return per account except on exceptions that they authorise. I don't know if this is true but if so and SOE want to handle the refunds themselves, perhaps this will count as your one.

- Quboid

News Comments > Hatred Earns AO Rating
29. Re: Hatred Earns AO Rating Jan 17, 2015, 14:12 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 13:42:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 13:37:
What part about "has a right to exist" do you not understand?

Everyone will keep painting me as an sjw trying to ban things because they don't read. I swear that's half of the games community now - people thinking being critical is the same as trying to ban, even when the opposite is explicitly stated.

I wondered why so many people had such a problem understanding the difference between not liking something and wanting it banned. This post from a previous Hatred thread is illuminating (emphasis mine):

Flatline wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 16:58:
Dude, there are at least half a dozen posts in this thread where people are saying this "crosses the line" or "pushes the boundary" or is "going too far".

No, nobody is saying "CENSOR ALL THE THINGS" verbatim but they're using language that certain things like this game shouldn't be allowed. It's disingenuous to pretend that it isn't a passive-aggressive call for censorship.

That's not HorrorScope but I wonder if he would agree that this criticism is a passive-aggressive call for censorship. As I commented on that thread, I absolutely do not agree.

(edit: Just noticed that this post was also in reply to Beamer. You sure can pick 'em, Mr. BMW.)

- Quboid

45. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 10:39 Quboid

yuastnav wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 10:16:
Ozmodan wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 09:44:
On the other hand, there are a ton of used GTA V games out there for consoles. Don't know why anyone needs a PC version after it has been out so long.

Because some of us don't have consoles?

That's my reason. I won't preorder as I found GTA4 unplayable but if initial reports are positive I will buy it pretty quick.

The music removal is the worst thing IMHO. Taking content (especially Tom Petty) away from people who had bought it is scummy and this was just a few months ago.

- Quboid

37. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 09:10 Quboid

Iurand wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 06:20:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 16, 2015, 20:13:

^ this... a gazillion times this. Don't fall for the retarded hype, people. Grow some balls, get some standards and give R* the finger that they deserve! If you absolutely have to buy this game, buy it on PS3 or PS4

Yeah, show them, that if they won't make their games better, you will buy them anyway on other systems...

Wait, what's the incentive to make better PC ports?

Grow some balls and send them a message: treat us like second class citizens and we will fold and validate your decision to prioritise consoles. Treating the PC like an inconvenience? Well we'll just do much the same. Ha!

That'll show 'em.

Pirating is much the same. I wouldn't stop anyone even if I could but don't pretend you're doing it for noble reasons. If you want to boycott, boycott.

- Quboid

News Comments > H1Z1 Refunds
19. Re: H1Z1 Refunds Jan 16, 2015, 21:35 Quboid

Are any of these games any good? The Forest looked promising but it's largely solo. Are 7 Days To Die or Life Is Feudal showing any promise as games and as well managed projects?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 15, 2015, 19:51 Quboid

Those are slightly contradictory articles about Google Glass but it doesn't look healthy. AFAIK the current model was never meant to be a permanent release ($1500!) but there might not be a new model.

Personally I don't agree with the privacy concerns but it seems like a neat device with no real purpose in the foreseeable future.

If nothing else, its legacy will be a wealth of technical and social knowledge.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2015, 19:01 Quboid

mag wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 18:01:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 15, 2015, 17:24:
/Thread jack -

So I mentioned last week that I saved some data from my old man's laptop. Well, it has hardware failures that probably made it do what it did - so I ordered him a new laptop.

Came with Windows 8.........hmmm...he doesn't even have a MSFT account.....proooooooobbbbably going to format and install Win7....

Thoughts?

Win8.1, with the big Update that further de-stupided the UI, combined with Classic Shell, is pretty usable. There are still some pretty dumb decisions, but really it's not bad. Filesystem performance is way better than Vista or Win7, and personally I'm glad Aero is dead.

Edit: Which is to say--I actually like Win8.1 Pro better than Win7 Ultimate, once I had it tweaked the way I liked. And I never had to create a Microsoft account for it. I guess you do if you want to install apps, but you can't use the apps at all on Win7, so.

I like Windows 8.1 too, for much the same reason. I use Modern Mix and Start8, I find them a little handier than Classic Shell but they cost $5 each.

With Modern UI (aka Metro, the tablet UI) gone, it is just a slightly tweaked version of Windows 7. It's not really worth the hassle of upgrading from Windows 7 (never mind any expense) but if you need a fresh Windows install, or as in your case it is already installed, you just need to get rid of the new UI.

Using Classic Shell or MM/S8 adds another layer of complexity to matters. They use insignificant resources but it's one more thing that can go wrong and if your old man isn't particularly familiar with computers then that could be a problem. In a couple of years I've only had a few prompts to update MM and S8 but you never know.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2015, 22:25 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 13:21:
Spintires is 9.99 - anyone recommend? Looks like ablast.....

No, that price is pushing it for what's little more than a tech demo. The mud physics is excellent and it's a neat idea but there's not much of a game to it and the developer has said that there probably won't be future development because of a dispute with the publisher.

- Quboid

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Escape from Durgesh Prison DLC Released
9. Re: Far Cry 4 Escape from Durgesh Prison DLC Released Jan 13, 2015, 22:26 Quboid

I've actually been enjoying it for a couple of hours. It is a lot longer than 30 minutes but there is always a timer ticking down which isn't what I personally want in any game and especially not an open world one.

Actions like taking outposts (the new map is about a quarter of the size of FC4's), doing karma events or taking down posters add time to the countdown and what you get carries over into your next run - weapons, XP, skills. The map gets reset but you are stronger so your next run takes you further.

It's a nice idea and $10 is a good price for the amount of content - but IMHO the timer stops this from being anything more than a few sessions' worth of fun.

- Quboid

News Comments > Medieval Engineers Announced
8. Re: Medieval Engineers Announced Jan 13, 2015, 16:04 Quboid

From their newsletter:
We are excited to announce Medieval Engineers, our second "engineering" game. As you may already know, the first, Space Engineers, was released in October 2013 and sold over 1 million copies in its first year, and is still keeping its bestseller position.

Apparently Space Engineers was released over a year ago. Someone should tell Steam, it is still unfinished according to them.

I can understand them having a few projects in different stages of development but by going public with this it looks like they aren't properly focused on Space Engineers. It should be bad for business, making your product out dated before it is even released (as in finished, not E.A.). If they have decided that it's not bad for business, they presumably feel that Space Engineer's sales have largely finished and aren't worth pursuing which doesn't bode well for the game.

I played it soon after its "release" and enjoyed it a lot. They've added a lot since then and maybe it is ready for actual release - which means they could maybe talk publicly about a sequel in summer without it looking like their priorities are messed up.

Miner Wars was disappointing but that sort of risk is what comes from crowd funding, caveat emptor and all that.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 13, 2015, 00:00 Quboid

Slightly higher bitrates like 256Kbps isn't what they mean by HD audio.

The last time I bought music, it was the Deus Ex HR soundtrack from a post here. Someone recommended I get the CD; I bought the MP3s and made a smartass remark about old technology. The MP3s were 128Kbps... Embarassed

There's more to it than bitrate but generally I'm happy enough with 256Kbps music and TBH I probably couldn't tell the difference between that and 192Kbps on my current hardware.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 11, 2015, 20:57 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 21:22:
Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2015, 17:31:
Are there actually "PCs are dying" articles? This article says that a year ago pundits were declaring it dead yet almost exactly a year ago I was wondering the same thing.

The same point still goes, that these articles could simply be on sites that I don't visit and Blue doesn't link to - there's always someone saying something stupid somewhere on the Internet.

Pc dead means different things to different people. To Steam users the PC Death has been debunked many years back now. Home media systems, perhaps dead enough. Business comes and goes, more of upgrading plans which for each company is different. There is a time it is saturated until the next big jump happens. Phones and tablets will hit the same walls in time. For an investor, yes perhaps it is dead, that is the last thing I care about when it comes to is the pc dead. Games are as healthy as ever, probably by a long ways better. Dev/management tools are pretty solid and plenty of choice, for a person who needs a pc, I don't see many weaknesses out there today.

I'm a bit late (back) to the party but good points HS. There's plenty of ways to look at it, gaming seems to be doing well but I wouldn't see a PC manufacturer as a particularly good investment - although I haven't looked into it or anything.

- Quboid

4681 Comments. 235 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo