Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4871 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Tips
10. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Tips May 1, 2015, 22:05 Quboid

I've had it crash my system twice today. Once when installing the latest patch my computer suddenly rebooted. Then I got into the game only for it to freeze. Audio continued for a bit and if I pressed Escape I could hear it go to the main menu but the game remained frozen on screen. I couldn't Alt-Tab, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del or Ctrl-Shift-Esc.

Mouse control is fine for me.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley
35. Re: DirectX 12 Video Crosses the Uncanny Valley May 1, 2015, 13:45 Quboid

PHJF wrote on May 1, 2015, 13:06:
The problem with tech demos is they have no scope. It's all fine and good making a perfect-looking five minute animation, but good luck developing a forty-hour RPG that looks like that.

This is why I'm wary of these videos. Never mind the API, the number of highly skilled artists required would be unaffordable.

However, it's a tech demo that demonstrates that they can push more polygons than ever before and succeeds at that IMHO. They don't elaborate on why they couldn't do this in DX11 but as Mantle has shown, there is performance to be found. I can't imagine them putting up a mediocre scene and talking about how it is performing well on midrange hardware, that's just not how PR works.

This looks as uncanny as ever IMHO, crossing this is more about animation than skin tone.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds
7. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 27, 2015, 21:16 Quboid

nin wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 21:07:
We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing.

That's putting it mildly.

Glad they reversed. I have no issue with folks making quality work getting paid, but as it was implemented, it just seemed ripe for abuse. And yeah, it didn't seem very well thought out.

Maybe next time (shudder) how about just an optional donation button.

Well put.

If they do try paid mods again (and I've little doubt that they will) they should launch it with a new title. I can see that they wouldn't want the flak to affect the game's sales, and there would still be plenty of unhappiness, but pulling the rug from under existing players' feet was a dreadful idea.

- Quboid

News Comments > Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods
20. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 19:53 Quboid

NKD wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:33:
Kajetan wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:26:
Apparently Valve pulled out. Paid mods have been removed from the Workshop. If this is permanent or just temporary ... no confirmation yet.

reddit

Looking like it's not coming back for Skyrim according to their announcement. They do imply they'll try it elsewhere instead of dumping it on a several year old modding scene though.

They'll soon be back, and in greater numbers.

This seems like a good course of action. I'm not opposed to either modders getting paid or Bethesda and Valve getting some but I feel that the present (previous?) system is (was?) badly conceived.

Edit:
This blog post has now been updated:
Update: After discussion with Valve, and listening to our community, paid mods are being removed from Steam Workshop. Even though we had the best intentions, the feedback has been clear this is not a feature you want. Your support means everything to us, and we hear you.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2015, 09:56 Quboid

Happy anniversary you two!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Car Mechanic Simulator 2015
7. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 Apr 25, 2015, 00:12 Quboid

I saw a few YouTubers play the 2014 edition, I think Worth A Buy was one. It looked very polished compared to the usual simulator tat but the actual mechanic stuff doesn't look detailed.

It did strike me that it could be a decent educational game to show kids the basics of what different parts of a car do and where they are. I wouldn't say the same for Farming Simulator.

- Quboid

News Comments > Skyrim Free Weekend
53. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 18:02 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 16:09:
Wallshadows wrote on Apr 24, 2015, 16:04:
Early access mods!

Absolutely.

Could you imagine if the next step for Skyrim was to straight up patch it so that it required Workshop and mods couldn't even be hosted on 3rd party sites like Nexus?

Not sure if someone already mentioned...but Valve has removed the "Rate" buttons on the paid content. /fail

I hope Valve is listening to the massive pushback.

I fully expect some games will lock modding down so they only work with the Workshop. It probably won't be hard to get around but who knows where this could end up. Will our Steam account be banned if we hack TES6 to allow mods from other sources?

I wonder if the rating is permanently gone or if they're just waiting for the fuss to blow over. If it's permanently gone, it's a lot harder to know which mods are worth paying for.

I don't mind modders getting paid or Valve or Bethesda getting a cut and encouraging talented modders is great but I think this is monopolistic by Valve and will do more harm than good. A donate system would have been so, so much better.

- Quboid

News Comments > Stronghold Crusader 2 Free DLC
1. Re: Stronghold Crusader 2 Free DLC Apr 24, 2015, 00:26 Quboid

Is this the patch that makes it good? Seriously? I know the initial release was panned.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
66. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:43 Quboid

NKD wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:37:
chickenboo wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 18:30:
Another thing that worries me is if Steam will attempt to shut down mod websites.

It wouldn't be Valve doing it, but there will be a lot more incentive for developers to go after and shut down sites distributing mods for free if there is a way for them to get paid instead.

I could see games being locked down to only allow Workshop mods. Valve and publishers worry me more than mod makers.

OTOH, if this takes off imagine the mod support The Elder Scroll 6 will have.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
64. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 18:40 Quboid

Valve and Bethesda/etc will have their asses covered in some way so if a patch breaks a mod then they're not in trouble.

Narf2029's point about reality hitting home is a good one I think. If someone does good work and has a reputation for good support (e.g. post-patch fixes) then I'd throw a few bucks their way. I think most modders would rather have 1000 users for $0 than 20 for $20 to be honest. The motivation of community and industry recognition remains, and charging for bad/outdated mods won't help anybody get cred or a job. If you're not prepared to do it right, it's probably not worth the grief.

I don't begrudge Valve or Bethesda getting a cut either but 75% is taking the piss, and puts me off buying stuff. 15% to Valve, 25% to Bethesda, 60% to modder would be a lot fairer IMHO.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 21, 2015, 17:43 Quboid

Article titles are too small on my phone. Their font size is absolute, not relative, so they don't scale for high PPI devices. IIRC there was a rendering bug in some ancient browsers that made relative sizes in H1/etc tags awkward which is presumably why absolute sizes were used but I don't think this matters any more.

Instead of 16px for the title and 10px for the post date/links, font sizes of 100% and 62.5% should look the same on desktops and scale accordingly on mobiles. (Scaling by 100% sounds pointless but it over-rides the browser's default 150% scaling for H2 fonts.)

Hiding the sidebar on mobiles would help too, maybe with a link to advanced search in place of the PDA link.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
22. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 22:49 Quboid

NKD wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 21:15:
Quboid wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 20:50:
That's not feminism NKD, that's a lunatic fringe. Do you really mean to say that feminists are racist?

The label 'feminism' is rather toxic thanks to idiots like the Comic Expo people (although I would not be at all surprised if there was more to the story and unless the expo lasted 47 seconds that clip doesn't clear anyone), but I am a feminist and I can assure you, I don't get patted on the back. If anything, "social justice" is more likely to be casually dismissed in someone's signature...!

Yeah it IS the lunatic fringe. Because that's apparently the only group allowed a voice. Anyone who tries to be moderate or to engage in reasoned debate is shut down and cast out of the in-group. The biggest social media personalities and the biggest scholars in feminism ALL adhere to the "listen and believe" philosophy that rejects debate and characterizes any criticism as harassment. If your criticism is friendly and attempts to engage in a mature manner, then you're just called a sea lion or whatever.

Like it or not the only brand of feminism that has any public profile is the social media/Patreon in-crowd. You can claim it's not true feminism, but it's the only feminism people are exposed to.

The whole "No True Scotsman" fallacy is particularly applicable there.

I didn't mean that they're not feminists, I don't think there's any such thing as "true feminism". I meant that they're far from all of feminism and I don't think feminism should be defined solely by them. I wasn't clear, sorry.

Is this the only feminism that you're exposed to? Ever heard of Malala Yousafzai? You flatter them (although I'm not really sure who 'they' are). They don't control your voice, no one is stopping you from discussing the actual issues except you. Well, maybe now me.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 20:50 Quboid

That's not [edit: representative of] feminism NKD, that's a lunatic fringe. Do you really mean to say that feminists are racist?

The label 'feminism' is rather toxic thanks to idiots like the Comic Expo people (although I would not be at all surprised if there was more to the story and unless the expo lasted 47 seconds that clip doesn't clear anyone), but I am a feminist and I can assure you, I don't get patted on the back. If anything, "social justice" is more likely to be casually dismissed in someone's signature...!

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2015, 22:52.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 10:12 Quboid

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 09:53:
It doesn't matter how much money anyone offers, Sarkeesian has staunchly avoided any form of actual debate or even questions that aren't scripted and pre-approved first. Actual feminist scholars with real academic credentials have also offered to debate her and she just ignored it. Her entire model is dependent on people not scrutinizing or questioning her because due to her self-admitted lack of actual knowledge of the medium she covers, she is unable to handle debate outside her core, scripted talking points. Her entire business model is centered around the "listen and believe" mentality she totes and merely speaking without ever having to listen back. If that changes, her house of cards will not stand.

I think video games have a lot of work to do with regards to better representation. She's not the person who should be leading that charge.

Well said.

I have defended her on here because I don't agree with claimed facts or because I don't agree with how agreed facts are interpreted but I don't like her and while I agree with the general point of hers that women aren't well represented in games, I don't agree with much of the detail in regard to both the examples she uses and the conclusions that she reaches - from what I've seen of her work, which frankly isn't that much.

To be clear, I personally don't think that this proves that she's not in it for the money if she ignores it because such an aggressive editorial (it's barely an invitation) doesn't warrant a response. The only people who would benefit from her acknowledging this offer's existence is Breitbart.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 20, 2015, 09:24 Quboid

Damnit Brietbard, some of us would actually like a debate. I'd love to see someone put Sarkeesian in her place but they're making it impossible. I've no idea if they're doing it intentionally to spite her or if they actually think that this is a good idea but this is desperately ill-conceived.

If they really wanted a debate, they shouldn't have put it in such a ridiculous article that attacks her so often. Even if this stuff was true, it doesn't belong in an article challenging that person to a debate because it's difficult for them to accept the invitation without implicitly agreeing to all that guff.

Now she's the winner. If she accepts, she's open minded and interested in debate. If she refuses/ignores, well, she's obviously not in this for money or publicity.

- Quboid

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
292. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 20, 2015, 08:39 Quboid

Krovven wrote on Apr 19, 2015, 23:39:
There has been far worse things said by others here over the years and continue to get away with it.

I have never seen a post on here as objectionable as yours that didn't get deleted. Never.

Redmask wrote on Apr 20, 2015, 07:27:
Don't waste your time on little krovven, hes an attention troll who just needs his fix.

Indeed. He's indignant that other people on a public message board might get involved in a discussion, yet he mocks the idea of talking in private. We're not your audience, Krovven, we're not here to applaud your wit.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 19, 2015, 22:35 Quboid

This was mid-flight, that's just stupid. It does seem like an over-reaction but I'm not surprised that some people wanted to have a word with him.  

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Apr 17, 2015, 23:36 Quboid

That's really good to hear, nice one TotalBiscuit.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
278. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 17, 2015, 23:27 Quboid

Quinn wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 22:57:
Fucking bullies. Every single one of you taking shit out on Krovven. Take a step back -- or a step up, for that matter.. be meta -- and see that the original conflict started with SOMEONE ELSE acting sanctimonious, not Krovven. He acted accordingly, like any self-respecting person would.. and only made the little mistake of insulting someone back in a more loud-mouth albeit more honest fashion. Blue jumped on that, Krovven called Blue on the hypocrisy (lets be fair, nin can quote someone and edit what they said to make them look like insane fucks and nothing happens) and the rest just kicked the guy down and continued kicking like a lynch mob; like animals. It's disgusting.

I reported the first post (not the second, guess he's got multiple fans) because it was just pointless abuse and while much of this thread hasn't been a happy place, I felt it crossed the line. It was certainly a heck of a lot more than calling someone a douche and treating those posts as remotely the same is unreasonable - as he knows perfectly well.

Krovven has consistently been rude or unnecessarily aggressive and he deserves to be called out on it by anyone. This is not a one time thing, this is not a few posters, this is pattern and he just comes across as incredibly childish - an insult he's oddly attached to considering his love of mindless insults.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 17, 2015, 23:07 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2015, 22:19:
I might need to pick up a new vid card, and the 970 is certainly the sweet spot for price performance. Is the 3.5 gb of mem going to be a big deal, instead of the full 4?

I'm getting about 80 FPS at 1440p, most settings at max but not advanced settings or MSAA, which are both off/minimum. The options menu says I'm using about 2.6GB VRAM. I could put on 2x MSAA but I don't want my framerate to let me down when things get extra busy.

(Intel i7 3.5Ghz, Geforce 970, 16GB, Win 8.1 on SSD, game installed on HDD)

It's incredibly impressive that they got (something approaching) this on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

- Quboid

4871 Comments. 244 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo