Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4259 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 08:47 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 01:55:
US team didn't deserve to be there, I am never in support of a program that allows a team that LOST to continue. They lost already, they didn't deserve to move on.

You mean the Germany match? I thought you were an NFL fan, you don't like league formats?

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 1, 2014, 10:18 Quboid

Alas Ouya, we barely knouya.

I wonder how much future Ouya think they have, perhaps they're hoping to extract $60 from as many people as they can before they fold.

- Quboid

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2014, 16:16 Quboid

Thanks Creston, Orogogus. I'd expect a flipping postal service to look at a globe from time to time!

Coverage [of the World Cup] in the UK is split between the BBC and ITV. It's quite noticeable that BBC (TV for grown-ups) calls you the Netherlands while ITV (TV for morons) calls it Holland, even though the FIFA-applied labels that pop up occasionally say Netherlands. This doesn't apply to football as we have separate teams, but I imagine calling Netherlands "Holland" is like calling the UK "England" - something that will get you some very stern frowns in many places.

I thought Robben did dive, but he was also fouled. The defender stood on his foot and IMHO it would have been enough to trip him, but the way he tensed up mid-air looked like Willam Defoe in Platoon. I don't know if referees are even allowed to do this, but I'd like to have seen a penalty given and Robben get booked for simulation. He apologised after the match for a dive in the first half (not the double-foul), not the one at the end.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2014, 17:52.

- Quboid

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2014, 18:39 Quboid

Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 15:48:
Everybody chant with me now!

Holland! *CLAP CLAP CLAP*

Dramatic end. Did Robben flop?

I'm surprised you say Holland, not Netherlands. Are you from Holland (as in, the 2 northern counties) or is it usual for the Dutch, when speaking in English, to call the Netherlands "Holland"?

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2014, 07:32.

- Quboid

News Comments > Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned
34. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 21:48 Quboid

Companies will name themselves if they're in a PR pit and know it's time to stop digging. Companies will either not name other companies until investigations (which don't tend to be publicised) are complete, or they will quickly deeply regret it. Wasn't there a developer of a survival game recently who accused a publisher of taking his idea to another developer, only for the other project to be shown to have pre-dated his? This is why you STFU until you know.

Here's how I imagine Rebellion imagine this going down. Please note that this is written on the assumption that Rebellion are telling the truth, which I'm not convinced about.

1 - Steam sell several batch of keys to, let's say, AlphaKeys
2 - AlphaKeys legally sells the batches to BetaKeys, CharlieKeys and DeltaKeys
3 - CharlieKeys get hacked, the keys nicked
4 - These keys are sold on, dispersed into the distribution chain that GMG use
5 - Rebellion hears about this, tracks batch to AlphaKeys
6 - Rebellion names AlphaKeys, AlphaKeys loses customers' confidence and business

IANAL but I'd guess Rebellion would face hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation to AlphaKeys. Maybe more.

Or maybe Rebellion are lying. I'm not saying they're telling the truth, I don't know. I'm just saying that, if they are telling the truth, they have to be very careful.

- Quboid

32. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 21:23 Quboid

If there was a theft then Rebellion probably do know where the leak was. The point I'm trying to make is that they aren't going to name anybody publicly because they care much, much more about not getting sued than they do about us.

This isn't about Rebellion being litigious assholes, no company in the world would name who they suspect of the leak regardless of how sure they are.

- Quboid

25. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 20:34 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 20:26:
Quboid wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 20:22:
They are not going to accuse another company of anything until they're damn sure what's going on.

If it was a batch sold on then screw Rebellion. If it was a batch that was stolen, screw the distributer who got offered a batch at a price that was too good to be true.
Well that would take them all of 35 seconds to figure out now wouldn't it? Unless of course you're saying that they don't know who they sold the keys to in the first place. This isn't rocket surgery, when I worked in retail shop over 15 years ago we'd see legit and .CN keys/discs from legit distributors(e.g. ingram micro, supercom, etc) as well, and for amazing prices.

Yes it would, and according to them the keys were stolen. The question is do you believe them or do you believe people like that CJS blog (who I've never heard of before).

Ordinarily I'd lean towards the developer but given that Rebellion are suing over Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, I'm with Longswd. You act like an asshole, I'm going to assume you're an asshole. We need a lot more info to know either way, info that I suspect all companies involved will be keen to keep private.

- Quboid

23. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 20:22 Quboid

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 20:05:
ViRGE wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 20:00:
Not Rebellion's pool. A retailer's pool. And it depends entirely on how they got in and what they had access to. The AMD hack retrieved the keys out of a bog standard text file for example; AMD's other keys weren't exposed because they didn't have a copy stored like that.
So again, where are the hack reports of this happening? It doesn't take rocket surgery to figure out who the keys would have come from. There's no information on it, no retailer and rebellion isn't saying what retailer either. All they're coming across as saying it "they was stolen!eleventy one!!!111!" Security through obscurity isn't a plan, neither is refusing to divulge a retailer who has piss poor security, and can't keep moderately-secure information secure.

They are not going to accuse another company of anything until they're damn sure what's going on. That's how you get sued, and Rebellion are sure to be quite familiar with that.

If it was a batch sold on then screw Rebellion. If it was a batch that was stolen, screw the distributer who got offered a batch at a price that was too good to be true.

- Quboid

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2014, 12:10 Quboid

I've been getting HTTP error 500 on all pages except the home page over the last few hours. This (assuming it gets posted) is the first time comments pages have worked for me today.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2014, 12:25.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Sniper Elite 3
10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Sniper Elite 3 Jun 27, 2014, 13:13 Quboid

The reviews are very encouraging. I hope some of the AI problems get patched, seeing NPCs endlessly walk into a wall really kills the immersion for me.

I've spent well over my luxury budget this month thanks to a shiny new phone and shinier new monitor but I will consider this the next time I want to blow someone's head off.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Sniper Elite 3
9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Sniper Elite 3 Jun 27, 2014, 12:34 Quboid

Sniper Elite V2 had pretty good mechanics but I found it too linear. I'll check plenty of reviews but "huge, open levels" should be a big help.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 27, 2014, 12:06 Quboid

60FPS support should help adoption of proper frame-rates on consoles. When CoD-bros start asking why JoeBloggs420's videos look nicer than **Trixxie**'s, it might just become a selling point for console action games.

Higher bit-rate would be more important. We've got to the point where I can't truly judge how good a game's graphics are because a 1080p YouTube clip can't do it justice any more. Especially fairly monochrome things like Star Citizen's black space - there's way too many compression artefacts for anyone to definitively say what the game looks like.

- Quboid

News Comments > Battlefield Hardline Beta Concludes
9. Re: Battlefield Hardline Beta Concludes Jun 26, 2014, 20:51 Quboid

Is there any destructible stuff in this? I played a few seconds of the demo, bullets and grenades only left visual marks on concrete.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Valiant Hearts: the Great War
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Valiant Hearts: the Great War Jun 26, 2014, 17:46 Quboid

A human portrayal of your enemy does not mean to sympathise with them. To see them just as monsters is dangerous because it implies that you don't think the people you know (I assume you consider your fellow countrymen to be human) could ever do the same - and that's how this sort of thing can happen again.

While I think it's important to remember that they're people, a film can be just a film. Saving Private Ryan was awesome. If the captured German had shown mercy, that would (to me) feel preachy, like Spielberg was laying on the "see how we can all get along if we try" message.

What is known about what the German people, civvies and soldiers, knew about the death camps? If I'd been a German soldier and I'd heard about them, I'd probably have thought it was Allied propaganda - at first.

- Quboid

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 16:27 Quboid

Prez wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 16:01:
People still debate whether soccer players melodramatically flop around like bad-acting retards? It is so obvious that they do, they make the game utterly unwatchable for me.

Several people are arguing that it does happen in the mistaken belief that I'm arguing that it doesn't. I do think it happens less than most people seem to, including those who love the sport, but I've tried numerous times to make it clear that I think it happens too often.

- Quboid

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 15:43 Quboid

Creston, you've twice flounced off like your shrill little girl because you don't like me attempting to point out your error (and no, not intimidating, frustrated). If you read my comments and tried to comprehend them, even the bit you quoted, you might actually argue against my point. The only times you've got close to understanding me is when you've actually tried to be sarcastic.

Football consists of quick, sharp impact injuries. This results in a quick sharp pain which quickly subsides. Have you ever stubbed your toe? Ever bumped your shin against a coffee table? Closed a door on your hand? What happens? You shout, you swear, you limp a bit and then your wits return and you get on with your life. I don't know why this is complicated and I don't know why you insist on thinking that I'm calling football an especially dangerous sport played by warriors. I have repeatedly gone out of my way to say the opposite, and not just in that thread; likewise for saying that diving and associated fakery happens too much.

- Quboid

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2014, 15:10 Quboid

descender wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 11:56:
http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-world-rankings-of-flopping-1403660175

Where'd that guy go that was defending flopping?

I presume you mean me, although I didn't defend flopping. I believe that it is greatly exaggerated but I don't think it's fine or that it doesn't exist. Speaking of ironic exaggeration, that article talks about priests and their last rites and nonsense like that and proceeds to make complete guesses about how players feel.

Creston, you still haven't read my comment that you keep referring to. One of the ones where I go out of my way to clarify that it's **not** the most dangerous sport. You've some nerve whining about me calling you out on this when you STILL haven't figured it out.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2014, 15:26.

- Quboid

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
38. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 14:58 Quboid

Numinar wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:37:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:17:
InBlack wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 10:14:
Its kind of sad to see that in the park though. Whats the point of going outside to play if they are basically still playing minecraft on their ipads or whatever?? Sigh...50 years from now kids wont even know what a tree looks like in real life, they will probably recognise one in a picture on their tablet of choice...
agreed
Some kids spend way too much time staring at the screens.

Depends what it's replacing. If it's replacing playing alone in your dank bedroom writing hateful crap into global chat then doing it socially (trash talk and all) is probably a good thing, much like LANS and couch gaming are healthier and more fun than playing alone over the internet drunk.

Moderate dose of vitamin D is also healthy, any way you get it. Depending on where this park is the air may be better or worse than what it is inside.

That was my take on it, this would probably be a good thing. Better to play computer games together in fresh air and sunshine if that was what they were doing, which it's not. Playing with Lego (not "Legos"!) is probably better for all the real-world physics that it demonstrates but it beats playing alone in a dark room - not that that harmed meeeeee wibble wibble wibble

- Quboid

News Comments > Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
24. Re: Areal: Spiritual Successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Jun 25, 2014, 13:54 Quboid

Which of you guys looks like Angelina Jolie?

I couldn't get into Stalker but it was interesting and perhaps a reboot will lead to a better implementation of the ideas. I don't like good/bad morality systems unless it's part of the plot (e.g. Star Wars) - they just force you into one path early on so you get the full effect of whichever route you take and it feels artificial. Implement proper, natural consequences where NPCs react according to their own needs/beliefs/empathy/knowledge, rather than popping up "+5 Good".

They're being way too optimistic with the funding goal, that puts me off. Throwing in $25 seems like a waste if they get $70K but get nowhere near delivering. I'd be more tempted if their goal was $1M+. I don't see any mention on their page of other funding or what they have up their sleeve in that regard.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2014, 19:11.

- Quboid

News Comments > Metro Redux in August
4. Re: Metro Redux in August Jun 24, 2014, 21:38 Quboid

Task wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 21:25:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 20:19:
And what of those of us who already own the originals? Guess we get fucked.

I thought they were offering a discount for owners of the originals? Maybe not and I imagined it, don't know.

There's a 50% discount if you own the original for either, or (presumably only if you own both) 50% off the bundle containing both new versions. The bundle isn't actually any cheaper than buying the two new versions separately.

- Quboid

4259 Comments. 213 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo