Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4259 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2013, 16:00 Quboid

Was there no episode of Game of Thrones last Sunday in the US?  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Sale
31. Re: On Sale Jun 2, 2013, 13:14 Quboid

LittleMe wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 12:53:
Quboid wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 11:34:
The perk trees in games like Skyrim and Civilization V (promotions) replace much of the detail which has been removed and add much more depth than a series of numbers steadily increasing. These add abilities which enhance your character(s) and develop the character in a direction you want better than incrementing skill values.

People look at what's removed but don't consider what's been added.

Well that would be great, except the skill trees in Skyrim are broken. Look at what the author of Skyrim Redone says about them on the mod description page. IMO the game needed a lot more polish before release.

That's quite a list of changes. I was happy enough with Skyrim's perk set (unlike the UI for choosing perks, which was horrible) but it seems that with a little thought, it could indeed be even better.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
28. Re: On Sale Jun 2, 2013, 11:35 Quboid

Ladron3dfx wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 07:27:
I paid $20 for this on Steam, worth every penny. Thumbsup

You don't really need to graphically overhaul the game. It's best meant to be played vanilla. I only changed the water since it looks like pea soup in most areas.

You use Steam?

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sale
27. Re: On Sale Jun 2, 2013, 11:34 Quboid

I don't agree with many of the dumbing-down accusations. It is simplified in many ways, but that's not the same - simplification, or stream-lining, is about removing unnecessary complexity and presenting the information in a more intuitive way.

The perk trees in games like Skyrim and Civilization V (promotions) replace much of the detail which has been removed and add much more depth than a series of numbers steadily increasing. These add abilities which enhance your character(s) and develop the character in a direction you want better than incrementing skill values.

People look at what's removed but don't consider what's been added. I see this a lot with Civilization, complaints about dumbing-down without a mention of how the promotions system results in strategic and tactical considerations that, in my opinion, far outweigh the formulaic 'who's got the bigger number' combat of old.

In my opinion, Skyrim's character system is better than Morrowind's, and more complicated. That it's better while also being simpler to use and 'less numbery' is a credit to Bethesda.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 2, 2013, 11:16 Quboid

RoboNerd wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 11:02:
Another Google Fiber experiment... How much of a tree can you cut and not kill it?

http://www.kctv5.com/video?clipId=8934293&autostart=true

I find it amusing who is sponsoring the video stream...

That's a weird story. It's hardly big news, but you'd think the fibre could be put somewhere better. I'm surprised they don't have it underground.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Box Not Empty
5. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Box Not Empty May 31, 2013, 13:53 Quboid

Darks wrote on May 31, 2013, 13:46:
dj LiTh wrote on May 31, 2013, 10:54:
finga wrote on May 31, 2013, 10:47:
No idea what a cloth map in this would have. It's not exactly Ultima.

Thats what i was thinking...maybe one popular map? Still seems like a waste of cloth.

Exactly, all the maps are random or self generated. but a map of what they think the know Sins Universe looks like would be kind of cool.

I'm pretty sure Blue was just throwing in a reference to the good old days when boxes would have more than a disc and a leaflet.

- Quboid

News Comments > On Sales and Discounts
6. Re: On Sales and Discounts May 31, 2013, 13:11 Quboid

That's a very interesting post, I'd like to see more developers do this.

Averaging $4/copy isn't great, and taking home $2/copy after commissions and taxes isn't great but I'm surprised he's made that much money in total out of it - 50K units is pretty good.

He implies that this has been a full time job since release which seems odd. I could see it being a full time job for some months before release, a time period and expense he doesn't touch on, but not since soon after launch.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 13:03 Quboid

That "Microsoft should stick to its guns and keep the Start button gone" article is bizarre. The author seems to think people are unhappy that they can't go from the desktop into Metro quickly enough without a button on the taskbar, and is arguing that Metro should be improved so people don't want to be on the desktop in the first place.

I agree with the later part of that - although I don't believe this is possible - but the former, and therefore point of the article, is just nonsense.

The problem isn't that there isn't a button at the bottom left that does what the button on the right-hand menu and the keyboard buttons do, the problem is that I never want to use the Metro start page and I never, ever, ever, ever want to see a Metro app.

- Quboid

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 12:49 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on May 31, 2013, 12:24:
They added a Start Button that does non of that, tell me I'm wrong? Please, this has to be the stupidest shit I've seen yet. I get DRM... this is just fucking fucking with people here. Wow

Unless I'm missing something, all it does is load Modern UI. It's just a button on the desktop to go to the awful Metro crap, same as the start button on your keyboard.

It is, essentially, Microsoft mocking us. "Oh, you want the start menu back do you? Well sure, here's the start button right here! (he he he!)"

- Quboid

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 31, 2013, 12:00 Quboid

NegaDeath wrote on May 31, 2013, 11:44:
8.1 still doesn't sound like a product ready to be sold. Metro "apps" are years behind the desktop in functionality. Its still a bizarre Frankenstein hybrid of two opposing systems that neither talk to each other or control the same way. Adding a start button just to drop people into metro smacks of arrogance, probably the only thing MS is good at these days. They understood the complaint, they just made it easier for users to see the big "F U". When one of your major new features added is functionality "old" Windows has already had for over a decade you've lost the plot.

Regrettably when my SSD died recently (stupid crappy Vertex 2's) I had to install 8 instead of 7, after all these years and installs I couldn't get the key to activate over the phone without talking to a human. I needed to get it up and running so I bit the bullet. Metro is fully quarantined via 3rd party apps but there are still annoyances.

Since installing a 3rd party startmenu, I've had no problems with the awful abomination that is Modern UI (AKA Metro). I've got a slightly improved version of Windows 7. I'm using the free Classic Shell but Stardock's Start8/ModernMix Bundle for 8 bucks USD is better. I've been waiting to see if 8.1 would fix this, evidently not so I'm going to take the plunge with them.

I can see that Modern UI would be much better on touch-screen but still nothing like as good as Android, iOS or, on a 14" or larger screen, Windows desktop. I think it is to try to get people used to their mobile devices but as well as failing as a desktop UI, it must be failing at this too as the main thing it's teaching us is that it sucks major ass.

By the looks of it, 8.1 fixes the stupider mistakes they made with 8.0, but isn't brave enough to do what really needs done, which is to take ModernUI out the back and put a bullet through it's brain. That would be the kindest thing.

- Quboid

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Announced
13. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 Announced May 30, 2013, 11:01 Quboid

There's also X90, which is basically 2 X80 cards together; a more effective SLI (which can also be SLI'd for the equivalent of 4 X80 cards). Presently the 690 is the fastest but presumably the 790 will be around before long.

I find it clear enough (clearer than AMD's naming, but I'm sure if I looked into that it's not that complicated either), although they've recently broken from it. How does the Titan fit into this?

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2013, 18:10 Quboid

These threads really bring out the worst of the Internet. Reading comments on Raw Story is especially depressing. A small portion of men are misogynist, a small portion of woman are misandrist and both groups are so blinded by their prejudice, they've lost sight of reality.

Redmask wrote on May 29, 2013, 17:00:
RollinThundr wrote on May 29, 2013, 16:27:
Says the guy who runs from threads after one post 9 out of 10 times. Why don't you people just admit you're beta and move on. We know already.

'admit youre beta' the fact that you unironically said this tells people everything they need to know about you, pretty much short form for 'ignore everything i say my opinion is worthless'.

He's already got that in short form, it's written in yellow at the top right of his posts. People should stop encouraging him.

(What's an MRA-tard?)

- Quboid

News Comments > GRID 2 Cockpit Mode?
12. Re: GRID 2 Cockpit Mode? May 29, 2013, 11:34 Quboid

No rubber banding? Excellent!

I've never found cockpit mode to be anything more than a brief curiosity, it's way too restrictive. Looking at the video's pre-play screen above, less than half the screen is used! In MS Flight Sim it's useful because it's a proper simulation and the numerous dials and gauges are required but in this? Nope. Not even if it was a simulation. Not until I get an Oculus Rift.

- Quboid

News Comments > Rising Storm Rises Thursday
3. Re: Rising Storm Rises Thursday May 28, 2013, 20:32 Quboid

Why am I only hearing about this game now?

How's voice chat in RO? Can you communicate in game with a headset or do you need to join a Teamspeak server?

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
72. Re: Steam Top 10 May 27, 2013, 08:04 Quboid

Jerykk wrote on May 27, 2013, 05:24:
Prez wrote on May 27, 2013, 01:49:
"2D side-scroller" isn't even a genre, it's a camera perspective.

No, 2D is a perspective. A sidescroller is a sidescroller, not a "perspective". I've already said I like many 2D games. On the other hand I like virtually no sidescrollers. It's got nothing to do with perspective and everything to do with how limiting, constricting, and lifeless a sidescrolling game feels to me. Make it a top down 2D game with the exact same art and suddenly it becomes something I'm possibly interested in.

I would try any 2D RPG because there's a good chance I would like it. I would not try a sidescrolling RPG because there's virtually no chance I would like it. They are not for me. Why is that so hard for you to understand????? Dizzy

How would you define "side-scroller"? Fallout 1 and 2 were both 2D games that had a scrolling camera. Diablo was a 2D game that had a scrolling camera. By "side-scroller," you're specifically referring to a 2D, side-view of the world. Therefore, it is indeed a perspective. Which brings us back to my original point that disliking a game because of its perspective seems silly. It's like saying that you don't like first-person or third-person games, even though there's a huge range of genres that use either perspective.

I guess it is plausible that some people would find certain perspectives inherently awkward or irritating. Just seems like such a waste to miss out on great games solely because of that.

I don't think Prez means "a 2D game with sideways scrolling", he's using "2D side-scroller" to refer to the genre that Dust, Sonic and Prince of Persia belong to. Although these can have other genre features (RPG elements, or beat-em-up features; putting a game into a single genre is increasingly a fool's errand), they all have the same basic gameplay system. There are other games which are 2D (or 2.5D) and feature sideways scrolling but which I wouldn't call a 2D side-scroller. Fallout, Civilization, Cannon-Fodder - all 2D and all have sideways scrolling, but they're not what I would call 2D side-scrollers and I don't think they're what Prez would call 2D side-scrollers either.

What is the right name for these? 2D platformers? That's not ideal either.

2D vertical scrollers (sometimes called shoot-em-ups, but I associate that with FPS games) are a similar genre, popular with many and good luck to you one and all, but they're not for me.

This comment was edited on May 27, 2013, 08:11.

- Quboid

42. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2013, 20:42 Quboid

Quinn wrote on May 26, 2013, 19:45:
Dust...
Reus...

There's so much enthusiasm around all these 2D games coming from PC gamers. This is surprising to me, because I always thought one of the main differences between console gamers and PC gamers were that the first play games for some mindless entertainment, while the latter play games for immersion.

In a way, I find said enthusiasm... concerning? Concerning because who knows.. maybe a few years from now the PC is the platform for arcade-y.. 'indie' games.. and it's the consoles you have to go to for stuff like Metro, Deus Ex, Van Helsing.

I must be over-reacting here. But still I don't really get how a PC community can get so excited about these side-scrollers.

If they're good games, I welcome their success.

From the talk of the great story, it looks like plenty of people are finding themselves immersed in Dust. It doesn't really look like my thing but I could be tempted to check it out.

- Quboid

8. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2013, 13:08 Quboid

Numinar wrote on May 26, 2013, 10:32:
If you like Half Life 2... buy Metro LL!

I was thinking that it's what Doom 4 should have been. Even the mask-on-surface mechanic works. Instead of Communists versus Fascists, it could be On-Site guards fighting off a UAC clean-up crew sent in to remove all evidence with extreme prejudice. The plot would need redone but the universe style is nearly perfect and the engine is ideal.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
27. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 13:33 Quboid

NKD wrote on May 24, 2013, 12:54:
Yeah, it's some Orwellian bullshit

My first thought too, although even George Orwell couldn't have dreamt up the idea that people would be paying a few hundred bucks for the pleasure. If he'd written about people queuing up overnight (as well very likely be the case) to plonk down cash for their surveillance system, he'd have been laughed out of his publisher's office.

- Quboid

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend
10. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend May 24, 2013, 08:27 Quboid

StaticRandomNumber wrote on May 23, 2013, 22:44:
I can't find the link to the "Free weekend" all links even the ones that says "Free weekend" leads me to the option of purchasing... steam is really going down hill these days.

Edit: Ahhh it was in my library

Oh, that's where it is! Thank you. I was looking on the store page for a Play Now or Install option, wondering wtf was going on!

- Quboid

News Comments > FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine
13. Re: FIFA 14 PC Using FIFA 13 Engine May 22, 2013, 13:30 Quboid

subx wrote on May 22, 2013, 12:11:
I'd much rather they spent the tiny effort they put into a new version of FIFA on the UI rather than a new engine anyway. It seems to be made up of odds and ends from various development cycles, which vaguely hang together in and uneasy hotchpotch, while bugs and issues are allowed to persist for years. It's so blindingly bad I'm sure it must be deliberate.

That's always bugged me about FIFA. To load the game, I do:
1) Double-click on Icon
2) Close stupid Origin window.
3) Load FIFA13 from the launcher application.
4) Select my language every time.
5) Press Start on my controller.
6) Press Start on my controller.
7) Choose profile (scroll to my desired one, the only one, it doesn't remember and defaults to "Create New").
8) Confirm that I want this profile, overwriting previous settings.
9) Confirm that I know what the "saving" icon means and that I shouldn't switch off my computer.
10) Main menu.

Ten actions. Why do I choose the language every time? The launcher has the selector to (and has the decency to use your previous setting), why not use this? Why make me press start to skip the intro video and then press start to choose controller? Combine them. Why can't I set a default profile, and set it to load automatically when I start the game? Especially when there is only 1 profile. Why am I warned about over-writing settings when the program has only just been launched? Is this even needed when changing profile in game - I'd guess FIFA attracts more dumb players (not including me, honest) than CoD but even they must know ... that's kind of the point of profiles! And doesn't everyone know what a disc icon means, and doesn't everyone know that you don't switch off a PC quickly anyway?

This is how it should be, giving them a break and allowing the launcher (which seems lazy but hey).
1) Double-click on the icon (Origin *doesn't* open)
2) Load FIFA13 from the launcher.
3) Press Start (might be needed to tell it what controller to use)
4) Main Menu

That's 4 steps, just 3 actions. I'm not sure #3 is needed and #2 ideally wouldn't be (everything in the launcher could be in-game).

It's a trivial issue but also one that would be trivial to fix. When I'm a world famous footballer and they want to feature me on the box, I'll have sorting this shit out as part of my contract.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2013, 13:37.

- Quboid

4259 Comments. 213 pages. Viewing page 56.
< Newer [ 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo