Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4389 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Google street view car Sep 16, 2013, 11:42 Quboid

Creston wrote on Sep 16, 2013, 10:50:
Giving truth to the perception that Indians can't drive for shit.

What do Indians have to do with it?

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 14, 2013, 08:18 Quboid

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 14, 2013, 00:35:
the thing that I don't understand is why the US gov't is actually admitting to all this shit. I thought the rule was, "everyone knows you do it, but you never say you're doing it." that kind of hubris always comes before the fall.

Why not? People who care are dismissed as supporting traitors by major news networks who, like turkeys voting for Christmas, seem to want people with Snowden's information arrested. Never mind that working with leaked information IS THEIR OWN FUCKING JOB.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Arma III
65. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 13, 2013, 09:08 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 08:15:
Quboid wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 07:52:
I'd like to join a community for mature gamers. Not necessarily skilled gamers (as that would exclude me), just gamers that want to play according to both the rules of the game and the spirit of the game. I'd pay a few bucks a month to contribute to game servers and a Teamspeak server. If this Mature Gamers Alliance had 100,000 members it could afford good servers with admins ready to kick repeat TKers and permanently ban deliberate griefers.
Check out ShackTactical
http://dslyecxi.com/shacktac_wp/
Their videos on youtube are awesome! Even the longer ones 1hr+ really enjoyable and fun to watch.

Interesting, I'll watch some of their videos. They possibly have too high an expectation of competency but that's the sort of thing I want. Thanks.

- Quboid

64. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 13, 2013, 08:18 Quboid

Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 08:12:
Yeah public servers in ArmA can be chaos. It's better played on server communities with a defined play style. This is partly why I hardly play the game MP because I don't have the time to join these communities.

Quboid wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 07:52:
Like I said, it took about 20 minutes to get enough votes the first time and when he returned with a more complicated name, not enough people could figure out exactly what to type. A simple numeric ID could have helped.
Players have always been assigned numerical IDs. If you look in the server's name list you'll see it. Usually a 5 digit number. The vote command works with IDs or player names.

Where is that? Is that the player list that you can view on the map? This would help if people knew about it.

- Quboid

61. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 13, 2013, 07:52 Quboid

Chat votes on public servers are a pest, too many people don't follow what's going on or don't understand English so it's hard to get a majority. Like I said, it took about 20 minutes to get enough votes the first time and when he returned with a more complicated name, not enough people could figure out exactly what to type. A simple numeric ID could have helped.

An attentive admin could have fixed the problem in about 2 seconds.

I'd like to join a community for mature gamers. Not necessarily skilled gamers (as that would exclude me), just gamers that want to play according to both the rules of the game and the spirit of the game. I'd pay a few bucks a month to contribute to game servers and a Teamspeak server. If this Mature Gamers Alliance had 100,000 members it could afford good servers with admins ready to kick repeat TKers and permanently ban deliberate griefers.

- Quboid

58. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 12, 2013, 20:52 Quboid

D4rkKnight wrote on Sep 12, 2013, 20:49:
To vote someone off you have to type their name in chat with a pound some or something stupid shit. Nobody knows how to do it or cares and there is no integrated gui elements that assist. It's very sloppy and I've been in the same situation - the guy was never kicked but luckily the map was so large I never ran into him.

This was a co-op mission with everyone spawning at the central airport. He camped outside, shooting down any helicopters that attempted to actually play the mission. No one could avoid him, no one could play the mission. Even if he was found and killed, he respawned and started over with zero penalty.

- Quboid

56. Re: Ships Ahoy - Arma III Sep 12, 2013, 20:26 Quboid

Just played 2 hours of co-op. It was fun until a griefer joined, then the server of 40 people was ruined. 39 wanted to play, 1 wanted to grief and that was that. I'm not even mad at the griefer, it's just so negligent by BIS to let this happen. Have they never gone online in any game ever before?

Why the hell, after 20 years of multiplayer FPS gaming, is this still a problem? Why the hell could someone team-kill time after time? Why is it so awkward to kick someone that getting enough votes took 20 minutes the first time (with people in voice and text chat urging others to vote and explaining how) and impossible when he came back with a slightly hard to spell name. That's pathetic, BIS.

Time-kills happen but it is so easy to wreak it as fun. The first time you TK, you get 30 seconds added to your next respawn time. The next time, you get 2 minutes added and you get killed immediately. The third time, you get kicked.

Would that be so fucking hard?

It might be a really good game when they finish it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Sep 11, 2013, 21:24 Quboid

PHJF wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 19:41:
Not a review, but TotalBiscuit says Brothers: Tale of Two Sons is the best game he's ever played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz3EmqraAxc

I bought the game after watching about 4 minutes of that, and played it through. Very good game, I highly recommend it. Not as good in my opinion as it is in TotalBiscuit's, but each to their own. You do need a gamepad, it's essential.

<spoilers>
No really, spoilers. If you haven't played the whole game and there's even a 1% chance that you will (and you really should), stop reading.

I really how it handles the big loss near the end. To have such a plot and such good characters without a single real word written or said is impressive but what I found really amazing was how the game made my gamepad kick me in the nuts. I absolutely hated pressing Big Brother's interact button, and I absolutely loved the game for making me feel this way.

</spoilers>

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 11, 2013, 14:26 Quboid

mellis wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 11:37:
I don't get all this corporate double speak implying the 'next gen' consoles are better than the PC since they are both PC's. It was different when they were significantly architecturally different (Cell, PowerPC etc), but now the playing field is leveled under the all embracing x86, it's kind of like a console maker touting the fanboi line "My PC is better than yours"...

Going by your last phrase, I think you get the corporate double speak exactly right.

- Quboid

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Access and System Requirements
38. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Access and System Requirements Sep 10, 2013, 08:07 Quboid

LaxerFL wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 00:35:
nin wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 20:43:
Win8 64 and a 3 gig graphics card??? I understand it's "recommended" but still...

Damn...

Are you saying "damn" because you think the requirements are high? Any gaming rig built in the last 8 months should exceed those reqs. Aside from Windows 8 which is just a shit OS and they will have to pry Win7 from my cold dead hands, my 1 year old rig beats all those recommended specs.

My 4 month old build with 2GB VRAM is most offended.

This build does have Windows 8, because Windows 8 + Start8 + ModernMix is cheaper than Windows 7 and better than Windows 7 in pretty much every way.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Into the Black Sep 10, 2013, 07:56 Quboid

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 02:06:
"He and his friend Jon Murphy are pretty sure that once Apple announces its new phones on Tuesday at 1 pm, that a likely release date would be the 17th or the 20th."

*checks calendar*

Hahaha_no

Seriously though, taking at least a week off work (assuming they work) to line up outside so you can buy a mass produced incremental update. To a fucking phone.

That hasn't even been announced. I hope the announcement today (if there is to be one) is to announce some shit accessories and that the iPhone 5S will be available in November.

- Quboid

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Access and System Requirements
13. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Access and System Requirements Sep 9, 2013, 22:13 Quboid

I feel like Blue is half testing how we feel about these tweets, and half trolling us. If that's the case, we seem to unanimously dislike them, and well played.  

- Quboid

News Comments > HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't
62. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 20:03 Quboid

I think we all knew they would to blame anyway

I came back to my computer with the comments page loaded - I thought the tweet was a Google Talk window that had popped up and someone had messaged me.

- Quboid

58. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 19:18 Quboid

Jivaro wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 18:35:
I never knew you all were so color and style conscious. When I move into my new house I will make sure to hit you all up for interior decorating tips.

Don't bother asking me, I only know this stuff because I live here. In the physical world, I barely know what colour my curtains are. Sort of green with flower patterns, IIRC.

- Quboid

49. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 17:13 Quboid

JeffD wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 17:02:
I love blues news simply and older layout. It is a refreshing change from all the other sites that load slow because they have 10 million embedded elements and flash applets. I get sick of visiting MMO champion now cause there site is soooo slow loading all those youtube applets.

That said, blue if you read this, your page has NEVER worked right on android phones! No matter what browser I use, the blue backdrop never comes through, makes it impossible to read yellow text.

I have no problems there. I just tried it with the latest Chrome stable release and it's worked with older Chromes and the previous default browser fine. Some font sizes are a bit funky (e.g. headlines are small) but that's very minor.

- Quboid

42. Re: HARDWARE: Shipbreakers was F2P; Homeworld: Shipbreakers Isn't Sep 9, 2013, 16:18 Quboid

Verno wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:32:
Blue wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:24:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 9, 2013, 10:21:
WTF is up with the tweet spooge? This image was impossible to convey in encapsulating text or just a straight up link?

It seemed like using the Twitter embed was the easiest way to provide the context for this. I take it this has turned out to be a giant problem?

It's a bit jarring given the color scheme for the rest of the site.

That's my problem with it, it jumps out at me. It jumps out much more than anything else, including ads, and forces my eye its way every time it comes on screen.

I'm not against Twitter (it's just a communication tool, as with all social media idiots on Twitter are the problem) and I'm not against new-fangled things like embeds when appropriate but a medium sized dark-on-light embed sticks out like a sore thumb. If it was light-on-dark, like the rest of the site, I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

Edit: FWIW, like embedded videos I don't particularly mind this on the item's share page (click on news story's headline, does anyone even use that?) or the comments page, as Morgan19 suggests.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2013, 16:48.

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat
79. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 9, 2013, 11:31 Quboid

You're risking getting nothing with the return of getting the game cheaper, so I suppose that's your RoI there but I'd still say that it's a glorified pre-order.

You can look at them in investment terms. Big Publisher's pre-orders have low risk (release virtually inevitable, but may suck) and low RoI (a few bucks worth of DLC). I bought Prison Architect for something like 20, that's a moderately high risk (game may suck, might not even get released) but higher reward (decent chunk off the price, emotional warm feeling). I think you could look at pretty much anything this way.

Paying $5,000 for a ship isn't a pre-order or an investment. It's a gift. It's charity, with the ship being little more than a Thank You present. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't do it.

In terms of needing lawyers if it goes wrong. Individually they'd be in the right (I'm assuming <1% is going to coke and hookers, I mean, they've got to build team spirit somehow) but if dozens, maybe hundreds of foolish people get the wrong end of the stick then they could be buried. Thinking this is any investment other than emotional investment is the stick's wrong end.

Edit: Mr. Tact, it occurred to me when I said Egosoft's back catalogue (X games) was failure after failure that I was being unfair on them. The previous X games had their merits and plenty of people enjoyed them very much, they're one of those games like Stalker which I just love the concept of, but don't actually want to play.

I wouldn't be surprised if Star Citizen satisfied quite a few people even if the general reception is one of disappointment. I expect it to be delayed but it's unlikely that the shit will hit the fan and they'll need to lawyer up and the release will probably be a mostly good game. In referring to it failing, and to X failing, I mean that it fails to live up to the very high standards it sets in the eyes of as many people as it potentially could. You're right to point out that there's a whole range of eventualities other than Success and Fail.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2013, 11:40.

- Quboid

74. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 8, 2013, 18:55 Quboid

Tom wrote on Sep 8, 2013, 11:50:
You've completely missed the point of crowdfunding. You are part of a crowd that is funding the project. That's how your money is being used. You're not buying virtual spaceships, the game, or anything else. You're making an investment in their project. Like any investment, there is risk. By giving them money you accept that risk. If you don't do your due diligence, that's on you. You aren't entitled to anything should the developer go bust without releasing the game. It is not necessary for them to lawyer up. Those are the terms you agreed to by investing.

Now, if the whole thing turns out to be a sham, you might be successful in a lawsuit that accuses them of fraud. But if they make any kind of decent effort and it just doesn't pan out for whatever reasons, good luck with that.

Crowd-funding is not an investment. You're not buying a percentage of the company or a share of future profits - where's the return on the supposed investment? You are buying the game or a virtual spaceship. That's it. There's a hell of a lot of risk (the finished game being crap being the main one) but no reward beyond the virtual item you got. It's a pre-order.

The only investment you're making is an emotional investment and even if you are rolling in cash, a $5K purchase is a big emotional investment. One that will make you (the $5K buyer) upset and angry if it doesn't pan out. One that suggests you're not big on rational decisions either.

If the shit hits the fan with this, it will absolutely be necessary for them to lawyer up. It doesn't matter if they're right (and I'd give them a 99% chance that they are), if they get sued they still need lawyers to show the court this.

- Quboid

70. Re: Star Citizen Hits $18M - $20M Goal is Planetary FPS Combat Sep 8, 2013, 07:54 Quboid

That's a good way of looking at it. I could well spend my regional equivalent, 3200, on all my games, personal software and hardware upgrades between now and a realistic release date for this game; which I'd put at 2+ years from now, given how the scope has changed since they set their target dates.

I'm sure there aren't many people spending this much, and of course it's none of my business really. Maybe their father is a Saudi prince. I'll consider spending $40 on the game pre-launch although I'll probably wait for launch. Anything more than that, no. I'm certainly not going to double my expenditure for the next few years to buy a virtual space ship that may or may not be any good in a game which may or may not be any good.

Whether or not the game is a success (in terms of being a good game, regardless of finances), I hope they're lawyered up. Delays and disappointments are inevitable and one of these days, a crowd-funded game is going to go wrong and many people will be braying for blood. Imagine spending $5k on a virtual space ship only for the developers to somehow go bust and the game never getting released.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 7, 2013, 21:13 Quboid

Kristian Joensen wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 16:09:
I guess people could take the "for copying games" bit as a statement of fact. "They copied games, now they are being sued for it" as opposed to "lawsuit alleges 6waves copied games".

Good point. As you say, it would imply that the fact that it's copied isn't disputed, but whether this copying was legal - which isn't the correct interpretation.

- Quboid

4389 Comments. 220 pages. Viewing page 56.
< Newer [ 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo