Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4345 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ] Older >

News Comments > Wargame AirLand Battle OS X/Linux Early Access
8. Re: Wargame AirLand Battle OS X/Linux Early Access Aug 22, 2013, 10:01 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 09:53:
You guys make it sound like a lot of fun.
I might grab it when it goes on sale again.

Again? It's on sale now.

Dmitri_M, there was a bug where infantry in forest would be labelled as panicked when they should, but no actual panic penalties would be applied. Does your tactic still work?

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wargame AirLand Battle OS X/Linux Early Access
5. Re: Wargame AirLand Battle OS X/Linux Early Access Aug 22, 2013, 09:03 Quboid

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 06:35:
Shok wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 23:02:
I've got a major addiction to ALB. I'm at 100 hrs and counting, barely competent at it lol, but still having a blast.
Same here. Great game.

I'm at 90 hours and I barely know half the units.

The single player is completely different in ALB. EE had linear campaigns, now there's proper dynamic ones. I haven't tried it since the campaign patch a few weeks ago to address some issues with it (too many stalemates) but when I played it before the patch the flaw was apparent but it will still very enjoyable. Damn commies and their nukes, next time I'll take a harder line.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 2013, 09:37.

- Quboid

News Comments > F1 2013 Trailer
7. Re: F1 2013 Trailer Aug 17, 2013, 22:23 Quboid

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 15:38:
jdreyer wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 14:25:
dj LiTh wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 12:55:
antique race cars from the 1980s
? Really? Am i that old?
Well, 80s cars with their wooden wheels and hand cranks ARE pretty old.

Wooden wheels and hand cranks wa wa whaaaa?

My car's from the 80's - the 1980's - and it has the mechanism for hand cranking the engine, although it's not connected up and is probably incompatible with her more modern engine.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Sims 4 Details & Screenshots [Updated]
3. Re: The Sims 4 Details & Screenshots Aug 17, 2013, 15:34 Quboid

Apologies for the blasphemy, but there's a game in The Sims. I'm not sure this is the title to actually manage it but IMHO if you could trust your sims to live their lives without you holding their hands, it would add a moderately interesting social simulator to a moderately interesting house design Lego kit.

I don't want a "doing the chores and getting dinner ready and cleaning and going to bed and oh god there's not enough hours in the day" simulator. I play games to get away from that.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Aug 16, 2013, 18:58 Quboid

I clicked on the Gone Home button by mistake, it actually looks interesting. As a low budget indie game they probably wouldn't have been able to afford to buy the score so maybe it actually is good. £14 is a bit much mind you.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2013, 18:29 Quboid

BobBob wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 16:28:
I got a Prius. I often get over 60 MPG.

I used to get 12 MPG in my vehicle, a Land Rover Series III Air-portable, at about $10 USD per gallon (£1.42/litre). I've recently put in a diesel engine, it remains to be seen how well this will perform but I'm hopeful of 35 - 40 for a couple of pence cheaper a litre.

They estimated it would take 2 weeks to change the engine. It only took 3 months...

- Quboid

News Comments > Tropico 5 Announced
17. Re: Tropico 5 Announced Aug 15, 2013, 13:38 Quboid

LittleMe wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 12:20:
I'm disappointed that there's no mention of zombies in this highly anticipated sequel. Okay some Tropicans walk around like zombies but that's different.

Don't worry, "Can you survive both World Wars?" - it's not yet another zombie game, it's yet another WW2 game, for that mid 00's nostalgia feel.

- Quboid

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2013, 12:20 Quboid

Second decade of service? Pffft. My vehicle's 6 months into her fourth decade, and that includes 15 years service in the Royal Commandos. Not that I go on about it.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches
12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches Aug 14, 2013, 12:01 Quboid

I found Dishonoured to be incredibly overrated. I'm not sure why I didn't enjoy it to be honest. A large part was the weight of expectation. But I also found it to be strangely slow, not as in stealthy (which would be an odd thing to criticise it for) but in terms of pacing. Also the superficially intriguing game world didn't seem as deep as other open design games like The Elder Scrolls, which is hardly a particularly hardcore series its self.

It suffered for being open-level rather than open-world IMHO - each level felt like the small box that it was, rather than a part of Dunwall.

- Quboid

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Europa Universalis IV
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Europa Universalis IV Aug 13, 2013, 15:45 Quboid

Damn it, Paradox, I have work to do. Selfish pricks.  

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity Traffic Improvements
6. Routing Aug 10, 2013, 18:12 Quboid

the change allows vehicles to claim a spot in a unit far in advance of arriving at a destination. It doesn’t sound like much, but this means that the routing map can be updated so it doesn’t include those units where all the spots have been claimed. So, for other vehicles that do not yet have a destination, we can send them to an alternative unit instead of their current behaviour where they all flock to the same destination and then change their minds.

This was obviously going to be a serious problem, and the flaw was glaringly apparent within minutes of game play. It's taken them until the 8th release to implement what is clearly an essential part of any routing system and which should have been in version 0.1.

This should make a big difference to traffic and make systems like garbage much less frustrating. I might even play it a bit again. It shouldn't have taken anything like this long but at least it's coming.

Hell, if they took out the online requirement it might now be mediocre! You go, guys!

- Quboid

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2013, 13:23 Quboid

Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 11:34:
Apparently if you keep topping off a battery, especially a lithium ion battery, you'll eventually shorten its max charge. But it's not a huge difference, and most people drain their phones well enough during the day that it's not really going to affect them anyway.

But if you keep charging your phone when the battery's still showing 85%, then you'll do some (minor) "damage" to it.

I leave mine on the charger overnight; it's down to somewhere in the 40 - 60% range at the end of a typical day but it stays on the charger for hours after it has completed charging. Is this bad for it?

I don't get the battery life argument. OK, you won't get more than 2 days out of any and some smartphones won't last a day and that's a problem. Certainly if you need 5 days out of a phone, then a smart phone is not for you and that's perfectly valid, but why do you need 5 days? How many people can't easily fit a couple of hours of phone charging into their schedule so seamlessly it's effectively effortless?

The only reason I would particularly need the sort of battery life which would give me 5 days usage is to use it while travelling: to look up maps, browse the web, use Yelp or suchlike, watch movies or play games during flights - all things that will admittedly kill a smartphone within 8 hours, but that's still 8 hours more than I'll get out of a feature phone unless Snake is going to keep me sane from Sydney to Oslo. With a couple of spare batteries or a portable charger thing (basically a big external battery), you're sorted unless you're leaving civilisation.

I'd still like battery life to improve a lot. Fuel cells, nuclear batteries, widespread proper wireless charging, something will come along. I'd advise researching your purchase (duh) to ensure it lasts a day, but apart from that it's an inconvenience and no more, not a reason to avoid smartphones in my opinion.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2013, 13:32.

- Quboid

News Comments > $1MM Saints Row IV Super Dangerous Wad Wad Edition
22. Re: $1MM Saints Row IV Super Dangerous Wad Wad Edition Aug 9, 2013, 13:05 Quboid

Dagnamit wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 12:38:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 12:28:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 9, 2013, 11:44:
Do not buy the $1,000,000 Saints Row IV bundle - http://tinyurl.com/kmswufl

Ars is ignoring the cost of the major press event that would surely take place upon delivery and the publicity whoever buys this would receive, plus the fact that you'd become Deep Silver/Volition's new best friend, having basically donated about $250k+ to them. Any fan of the series with a million bucks laying around ought to gladly pay to be a Saints Row rockstar, because there's no telling what other perks might come along with that in the future.

This is a great point. The pub is worth it to the right person. The Veronica Mars movie kickstarter had a $25,000 tier where an actor gets to say one line in the movie. $25k is way too much for me, I don't care about being in the movie, or being in movies at all. For a down and out actor in Hollywood, the role and the related pub is probably worth that tenfold.

Arse sum it up themselves: if you're the kind of person who would actually consider spending $1 million on a game, value for money on a cent for cent bases isn't going to be your primary concern.

Reading the blurb as Blue reprinted it, I thought the Gallardo was only for 1 year but the picture on Arse suggests otherwise.

- Quboid

14. Feedback Aug 9, 2013, 12:59 Quboid

Blue, since you're in a thoughtful mood these days can I request that you go back to using M as the million abbreviation? When I see headlines like "$1MM", I read it as "ONE DOLLAR MILLIMETRES" and wonder a) what the heck that means and b) why are you shouting at me? It's like Doctor Evil having a stroke.

I've done extensive research and after literally minutes of exhaustive searching it appears that MM is used in some financial circles but M is the most widely recognised signifier (edit: even when referring to money), even in the US where millimetres might not be so quickly associated. Financial stuff does come up quite often but we're not a business site never mind a finance one. We're a gaming site and while the financial stuff is very interesting, I'm sure we're more at home with the style used in MB and Mhz.

Also, M just makes more sense: MM means Mille x Mille and anything that comes from doing maths in Latin just can not be a good idea. I went to 2 years of Latin class and I'm never getting that time back. Although I mostly sat at the back and did homework from other classes because the cool teacher was vice-principal and didn't need to give a damn about pupils who didn't gave a damn about them.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2013, 13:08.

- Quboid

News Comments > Strife Announced
22. Re: Strife Announced Aug 9, 2013, 10:00 Quboid

Hexen? Or Heretic, although that was less RPGy.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Strife Announced
18. Re: Strife Announced Aug 9, 2013, 09:25 Quboid

Strife was the first game I remember playing with NPCs, in-game characters that you interacted with in ways other than pointing a gun at them and turning them into giblets. I don't imagine Strife was anything like the first to do this but at the time I was impressed by how the world felt because of this.

It's piss by today's standards of course, as are the graphics/etc but that was cool back in the day. At least the demo was.

I've never played a MOBA game, as far as I know. I had to Google it to see what it is.

- Quboid

51. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2013, 16:23 Quboid

PropheT wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 15:48:
TorchMaster wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 15:45:
PHJF wrote on Aug 8, 2013, 11:51:
Occasional thumbnails on the front are OK, but I'd rather not see them attached to every which article. How hard is it, if interested in an article, to click through and get screens from within? The wall of blue-backed text greeting me everyday is one of the reasons I visit here as opposed to everywhere else.

^ Agree With This ^

Me too, the simplicity is why I like this site so much.

Me too.

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity for OS X This Month
4. Re: SimCity for OS X This Month Aug 7, 2013, 19:04 Quboid

In fairness, there have been quite a few reasonably comprehensive patches ( https://help.ea.com/uk/article/simcity-updates ) since I last played, which was 1.7 or 1.8. It doesn't look like they've touched the small issue that your city can't be much bigger than 10K actual sims.  

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity for OS X This Month
2. Re: SimCity for OS X This Month Aug 7, 2013, 11:42 Quboid

It was a fun game, as SimSeveralSmallTowns it wasn't bad. But online bullshit aside, the simulation just isn't very good. I moved on quickly, there's been patches since but when I read the changelog for 2.0 and realised that underlying problems hadn't been touched and that the fancy version number was just for show, I haven't looked back.

Alas Simcity, you were one of the greats. I'd love a new version of Simcity 4.

- Quboid

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV Preorder Bonus DLC Plans
4. Re: Europa Universalis IV Preorder Bonus DLC Plans Aug 7, 2013, 09:23 Quboid

I'm not going to preorder, so I'll miss out on these. That sucks, but I'll probably wait until the Christmas sale anyway as I'm not short on games and it does no harm to wait for a patch or two for these games.

I loved CK2 but I didn't actually play it that much and I've no interest in the converter myself. I think it's shitty of Paradox to charge for that but it doesn't affect me.

It's the whole pre-order DLC thing I hate really. I know it's not as simple as that this content would be included in the game if they didn't go down this route. I know they've budgeted for the game with the money from selling this DLC to post-launch purchasers and found that they can afford a little bit more development time this way.

It feels like I'm being nickel-and-dime'd, that on buying a the full game, I should be entitled to all the content at launch + patches. Isn't that what buying a game is, buying the game as it is when the developers said "it's done"? Not this nonsense, the developer saying "it's done, let's remove this, this, and this and sell them separately - and give them to pre-orderers as if we're doing them a favour".

I remember buying huge boxes for £30 with thick, well written manuals and a shiny CD. I was too young to afford such things, but I remember my brothers buying Simcity 2000 for £20 from Currys. I think it came on 2 floppy disks and the 200 page manual had me laughing my ass off the whole way through. WILL YOU DAMN KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!

- Quboid

4345 Comments. 218 pages. Viewing page 56.
< Newer [ 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo