Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3922 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ] Older >

News Comments > Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods Announced
2. Re: Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods Announced Feb 4, 2013, 09:17 Quboid

I love Paradox Development Studio but they really pump these out at a not inconsiderable price each. I got Sword of Islam but not The Republic, the Byzantine expansion and probably not this. If they'd half the price, they'd get 4x the sales - based on my in-depth market analysis of one person.

I'm pretty sure they've been including unholy UIs with many of their games anyway.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion
73. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 4, 2013, 09:06 Quboid

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 08:25:
n3farious wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 23:55:
Liberals will be offended at anything and everything.

Tiny Tina is the first character that I have had tears flowing down my face in laughter at in a video game. She is irreverent, crass and politically incorrect.. in the body of a sweet little girl. It works. Get over it.

Fixed that for you. Because really, conservatives don't tend to buy into PC. That's pretty much a liberal soapbox.

Oh yeah, it's just us liberals who get offended at anything and everything. That's why I'm so deeply upset about this, and why you can't ever find anyone on Fox News being offended at anything.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2013, 21:03 Quboid

subx wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 20:48:
jimnms wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 15:21:
The evidence of this "theory" were clues hidden in the movie "The Sum of All Fears." Ucrazy

So, er, was there a plot revolving around a power cut in that movie?

Neo-nazis have nuked half the local power station? Or Arab extremists, which IIRC were in the book but the movie makes pussied out of.

- Quboid

41. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 16:19 Quboid

Haha! Cutter, if I see you I may kick you in the nuts, you patronizing git!

(I know, completely out of context. I kid.)

- Quboid

39. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 16:11 Quboid

Spektr wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 15:23:
Quboid wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 14:52:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 14:09:
Political correctness is a disease. Pure and simple.
Political correctness is the ideal of considering others' feeling and not being an asshole.
No, that existed long before the phrase political correctness was coined. And sorry but that definition seems fairly incomplete as under that definition, an American black street kid calling another "nigger" in a tv series like the wire would be being political correct.

It seems that political correctness is used nowadays to address a situation some people are getting paternalistic and overprotective nay hypocritical using euphemism with some issues. For instance calling blind people visually challenged. Black people coloured people. As such it's a bad thing because on grounds on being nice and respectful ( it starts as being the opposite of using disparaging words ) it puts on the same example having a handicap ( which is a bad thing in itself ) and belonging to a minority. ( which isn't )

The phrase is new way to describe an old concept. Your examples are political correctness gone wrong, and are what the phrase "political correctness gone mad" should refer to, were it not the bigots' code that I mentioned before - at least in the UK.

It can go wrong and be ham-fisted at best, but this is at least people trying. It might take a generation or three, but it's an improvement. Anyone who describes me as handicapable is liable to get a kick in the nuts for being a patronizing dick but I suppose it's marginally better than being called a spastic or something like that (which I'm not by any definition but I hope you see my point). "Vertically challenged" was briefly the PC way to refer to little people which I always thought was horrible as it implies they've somehow failed.

Perhaps you have a point, perhaps language has evolved so "politically correct" now means the ill-considered attempts at understanding. The concept is a good thing, but maybe we need a new phrase.

Edit: speaking of political correctness and language evolving, I noticed Quinn used the word "retard" which to me is an example of language changing. Like most, probably all here, I use that word to just mean stupid, nonsensical, moronic and don't give it a second thought but I know it still upsets some people, and I'd hate to hear it actually used to describe a mentally handicapped person. I think the word moron used to be the same, many years ago.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2013, 16:16.

- Quboid

29. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 14:52 Quboid

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 14:09:
Political correctness is a disease. Pure and simple.

No, no it isn't. Political correctness is why you can't make hiring or firing decisions based on race or gender. Political correctness is why one one of the UK's big 3 political parties no longer uses the slogan "If you want a nigger for a neighbour, vote Liberal or Labour" (them being the other 2 big parties at the time). Political correctness is the ideal of considering others' feeling and not being an asshole. When someone (usually a newspaper columnist who considers that political party to be a bit 'soft') uses the phrase "it's political correctness gone mad", that's code for "now when I'm a bigoted asshole, people call me out on it". This is nothing but a very good thing.

This garbage isn't political correctness. This is stupidity, with a large hint of repressed racism.

- Quboid

22. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 14:08 Quboid

fightinfilipino wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 13:50:
MajorD wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 13:43:
Please!! Does 'Tiny Tina' offend midgets too…….or should I say 'Height Challenged' people?

While on the subject; I never understood, and still don't, why it is considered derogatory to call somebody from the ‘Orient’ an ‘Oriental’. ‘Asian’ encompasses people from Afghanistan to Yemen. From what I’ve been told and understand, it is only in North America that calling some an ‘Oriental’ is considered derogatory. //shakes head

In fifty years we’ll all have vaginas!!!

the term "oriental" has traditionally been used in only two ways: 1) to refer to objects, not sentient people, and 2) in a historically-derogatory manner (implying in the old colonial sense some kind of superiority over Asian people)

as for your "vaginas" comment, erm, what?

I think this is the case, but only in North America were they were shipped over to build railroads. Here in the UK and Ireland, it still has a certain exotic flavour to it. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a compliment, but to describe someone as Oriental is to conjure up images of exciting new cultures.

- Quboid

11. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 13:34 Quboid

PHJF wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 13:23:
Tina was raised by Roland. Roland is black. Ergo, Tina displays black tendencies.

Problem solved!

But they're not actual black tendencies (an odd phrase), it's racist stereotyping of black culture! That's the problem! (Or not, if you're sane.)

- Quboid

News Comments > Super Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Super Sunday Consolidation Feb 3, 2013, 13:17 Quboid

I wonder how FIFA stacks up. It passed 100,000,000 a couple of years ago so it's probably approaching 125M.

Tonight's my annual NFL game. I wonder how long it will take me to remember/figure out the rules this time...

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Omerta Feb 3, 2013, 13:13 Quboid

FalconerHG, is that the Omerta review you mentioned about a week ago? You seem impressed, I must say I'm a little disappointed. Every level has you doing basically the same thing, the same problem that Tropico 3+4 had, but at least they have more variation in that different businesses need different resources and such like.

Are all the city levels as small as in the demo? I was expecting one map, not a small map of one neighbourhood, and a proper RTS back and forth fight. The tactical battles are very good, but if they're samey too, that might get old.

- Quboid

2. Re: Borderlands 2 Racism Discussion Feb 3, 2013, 13:06 Quboid

Some people love nothing more than to be offended. I think they just want suckle on the sweet nipple of faux moral superiority.

IMHO, you have to be, well, perhaps not racist, but very misguided to consider that racist. Like you are projecting your own repressed bias on to the script.

I could only bear to play a few levels of BL2 but it was clear they were piling in every stereotype and cliche they could find. It's like South Park, it's not discrimination if you take the piss out of everyone and that barely counts as taking the piss at all.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Feb 3, 2013, 12:51 Quboid

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 3, 2013, 09:31:
Keep licking at the taint of social media, you assclowns. Everybody needs to know what you had for breakfast and your most mundane and insipid thoughts.

Strange, I've never mentioned what I've had for breakfast on any social media, nor have I been told what anyone has.

It always makes me smile when people complain about idiots on Facebook. Those are your friends. If they're idiots, it's because you're friends with idiots. I get reasoned debate, far more palatable than any other source, in part because I know the other people and we each understand where the other is coming from.

I get interesting photos taken by people who I care about. I don't get Instagram'ed photos of someone's latte, because I don't have friends who are pretentious idiots (although my friends may say they have one).

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2013, 16:25.

- Quboid

News Comments > GRiD 2 in May; Preorder Bonuses
9. Re: GRiD 2 in May; Preorder Bonuses Jan 31, 2013, 14:43 Quboid

These preorder bonuses are a bad enough kick in the nuts, but this is bordering on pay-to-win:
enjoy discounts in the Car Upgrades Store in online game modes

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jan 30, 2013, 18:55 Quboid

From the headline, I thought the cops actually loaded up CoD and pwned them (the kids are still saying pwned, right?). That's one way to stop the noise pollution.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 29, 2013, 22:40 Quboid

What a twunt.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 29, 2013, 11:45 Quboid

They have to know that their days as a cable subscription service are numbered. No matter how essential this is to their business model, they will have to adapt because that business model is slowly dying.

It is a big change for them and it could kill them - but doing nothing will definitely kill them eventually.

- Quboid

News Comments > NVIDIA Beta Drivers for Crysis 3 Beta
5. Re: NVIDIA Beta Drivers for Crysis 3 Beta Jan 28, 2013, 12:14 Quboid

Rather than (or as well as) linking to the US versions of drivers, why not just link to http://www.geforce.com/drivers/beta-legacy ? It's not the biggest chore to do this by hand but I'm sure a fairly large percentage of Bluesnewsers aren't using a US operating system.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 27, 2013, 19:44 Quboid

It's impressive how good Apple are at getting people to upgrade despite minimal changes but that won't last. It's hard to imagine Jobs would be impressed with them lately - they had to know Apple Maps wasn't ready and for a business whose slogan was "it just works", that's damaging. The iPhone 5 is underwhelming, it's gone from having a tiny screen to having a small screen, compared to its competition, and not much else.

This is anecdotal, but what I'm hearing is that Apple isn't cool among today's kids (with whom I am totally down) - they see the iPhone as the sort of thing their teachers have and therefore by definition not cool.

Apple's biggest problem is that they've been so successful over the last decade, the only way is down.

- Quboid

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Pre-Sales
3. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Pre-Sales Jan 27, 2013, 19:05 Quboid

How does Skyrim DLC work? Is it like Fallout: New Vegas, where you continue with the same character? Do you need a high level character?  

- Quboid

News Comments > New Wildman Video; Tiers
3. Re: New Wildman Video; Tiers Jan 27, 2013, 16:32 Quboid

DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:15:
This one isn't going to make it

It'll be a tight one at best - what % of a Kickstarter's funds typically come in the last couple of days?

I can't see why anyone would be in that odd niche. It's not like giving to charity, I want to get more than a warm feeling inside if it's a for-profit enterprise.

I'm surprised by how well Kickstarters are doing in general. I didn't expect many to get funded after Double Fine's ridiculously successful one, I thought that was a one off.

- Quboid

3922 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 56.
< Newer [ 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo