Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3931 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 2, 2013, 11:31 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 11:13:
If EA is so right about micro-transactions, why can't the company make a profit? To some, their consistent losses would state they are wrong all the time about something, reminded every quarter of that to.

Isn't that the old business model that's failing? How many F2P games on the PC or consoles do they have? I don't imagine the nickel-and-dime-ing that The Sims 3 has is what's costing them money.

I don't agree with you on this point but I agree with every word in your subsequent one. My sentiments exactly!

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Q&As
23. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 2, 2013, 11:26 Quboid

Committed would be releasing many patches and adding new content (for a price). Committed doesn't mean doing exactly what you want them to do, why should your opinion be worth more than anyone else? Sales figures suggest plenty of people are of the opinion that the franchise is holding up fine.

HorrorScope: I'm buying it, or rather, I've already bought it. I preordered as soon as it was on Origin, which of course, I also use.

- Quboid

20. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 2, 2013, 11:02 Quboid

Cpmartins wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 10:50:
Here it is:
https://twitter.com/moskow23/status/296355832998801408

Thanks. That seems really stupid. In fact, this game would seem ideal for GPU processing, although that would mean requiring DirectX 10 or newer.

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 2, 2013, 10:51 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 00:12:
Russian Law #7: Everyone must have a camera in their center front windshield.

Seeing these, I'm tempted. Couldn't be too hard to connect an old smartphone so its camera has a good view. Get it to record to MicroSD when the ignition's on (easy enough to do as I can access the wires no problem and Android can be set to start recording when plugged in) and set it to overwrite the oldest video when the card's full. That would give me the last few hours which is far more than enough.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
21. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 2, 2013, 10:38 Quboid

That does demonstrate a problem: just because the AK (I'm assuming fully-automatic) was illegal didn't stop him from getting one. I believe it does decrease the number and stricter gun control would make getting this power even more difficult but it won't remove fully-automatic weapons entirely, never mind whatever semi-automatics get banned.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 10:30 Quboid

I don't see any such implication. He's saying that much of the complaints are wrong (and they are), not that you should be quiet. As for saying that you should vote with your wallet, again he's not saying that you should shut up, just that voting with your wallet is the best way to actually get the message through - and again, he's right.  

- Quboid

17. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 2, 2013, 09:48 Quboid

Kosh401 wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 08:40:
100% of the game's simulation is done on a single CPU thread. Some audio and rendering is offloaded to a second core/thread, but otherwise it's all done on one.

That is the reason there is such a small city limit to work within. I wouldn't expect to see this increased any time soon, as they essentially would have to re-write large parts of their game engine (the simulators) to support multithreading.

Why it wasn't built this way to begin with is beyond me. It's the perfect type of game for multithreading.

I've often heard this said, but never backed up. Could you point toward a source?

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Mar 2, 2013, 09:46 Quboid

Julio wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 05:29:
I agree about don't buy if you don't like microtransactions, but taking away our free speech? No thanks - Cliff can move to China if he wants to not have the right to give his opinion.

Where does he say, or even imply, anything like this?

- Quboid

19. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 1, 2013, 22:44 Quboid

I'm not against mental health care, but it seems that it's many of the same people (social conservatives) who don't want gun control who also don't want the Affordable Healthcare Act and suchlike. Why not both?

The US 2nd amendment is a relic of a bygone era.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 21:58 Quboid

He's not saying that's a belief, quite the opposite. He's not saying they should be treated accordingly, he's saying they will be treated accordingly. I agree with him on that, and on pretty much the rest of his post.

His belief is that people who are wanting significantly more and wanting to push boundaries shouldn't bow down. His point is that we should stand up to them in the only way we really can, by voting with our wallet. Which is pretty much what everyone else is saying.

It seems that what he said about EA being automatically evil applies to him. If this had been Cliffski rather than CliffyB, we'd be (rightly) praising him for saying what we're all thinking.

- Quboid

6. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 1, 2013, 21:49 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 20:02:
I have played the (2nd) 1hr beta and if you see the depth of the simulation with its many thousands of independent smart actors you will understand why it's limited to the size it is. Simulation depth is absolutely stunning, and the data views are the BEST visualization of data on a city map ever conceived. It looks absolutely stunning. The game itself looks ok, even pretty at times

Will see on the 8th whether it has the magic or not.

I played it too, quite pleased with what I saw and I don't think my rig could handle larger cities. However, as jacobvandy says, why not make it future-proof? I suppose it won't matter, they'll switch off the server before I upgrade... *sobs*

- Quboid

10. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 1, 2013, 13:08 Quboid

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 11:09:
Quboid wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 11:04:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 08:51:
I'm just curious how bans on clip sizes and fully automatics is going to make anyone "safer" when the majority of gun crimes are committed with handguns.

You're answering your own question there, aren't you? It's the majority, not the entirety. Additionally, massacres (say 8+ deaths) seem to be done with these weapons.

Not really. When you have 98% of crimes committed with handguns, and the remaining 2% are mental cases going on sprees, what sounds better? Knee jerk bans, or trying to find ways to improve mental health care to avoid these mentally ill people from going off the deep end in the first place?

I just wish we would stop governing on emotions rather than logic.

I find that pro-gun people tend to be rather more interested in (their own) emotion rather than logic when it comes to correlation between homicide and gun ownership. They also seem rather less interested in improving any healthcare for the sort of income bracket that many of these nuts come from. I've heard no ideas on how to actually improve mental health, even if the increased availability of healthcare was welcomed - for a start, you can only help people who look for help.

I think it is something that is the only way to make a difference - death by a thousand cuts. No one can walk in and fix the gun (lack of) control problem but they can make dents when something wakes up enough Americans to the problem. If enough massacres happen on enough blue presidents' watches then maybe gun control will fixed, even if half the country will have no problem pretending otherwise.

I see this in the UK, if 2 people are killed in a gun attack there are howls from the pro-gun lobby (which has little power here) that this proves that gun control doesn't help and should be scrapped. What their leaders ignore is that this has happened a lot less, and with fewer deaths each time, since gun control was tightened.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 11:15 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 11:13:
100GB plus downloads. Yeah, the Telcos won't throttle those in a heartbeat... Rolleyes

Creston

Paraphrasing what I said in the earlier thread:

For streaming, and assuming that's 100GB for a 2 hour UHD movie, that's about 14MB/s (112Mbit) stable connection. I have a 55Mb connection but I wouldn't say I reliably get much more than about half that, so in theory, I'd need at least a 220Mbit line. Ouch.

That would also burn through data caps, even assuming they're 'inflation adjusted' to suit the higher speed. If my data cap was also 4x what it presently is, it would be 800GB in peak times, or 8 movies a month and nothing else, 8-6 on weekdays. What am I going to do for the rest of the working day, be productive??!

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2013, 11:22.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 11:07 Quboid

That Sony 4K link was courtesy of nin in this thread.  

- Quboid

8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 1, 2013, 11:04 Quboid

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 08:51:
I'm just curious how bans on clip sizes and fully automatics is going to make anyone "safer" when the majority of gun crimes are committed with handguns.

You're answering your own question there, aren't you? It's the majority, not the entirety. Additionally, massacres (say 8+ deaths) seem to be done with these weapons.

- Quboid

News Comments > Omerta - City of Gangsters Free DLC Released; Patch Plans
10. Re: Omerta - City of Gangsters Free DLC Released; Patch Plans Mar 1, 2013, 10:40 Quboid

nin wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 08:46:
dj LiTh wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 07:29:
This game is about 3-5 hours worth of content, then do the same thing over until your tired of it. Its a 10$ game at best.

Disappointing to hear, but you saved me money...

I'd say that's a bit harsh. There's, what, a dozen campaign missions? Each one took me about 3 hours, and I enjoyed every one.

However (and I think this is what dj LiTh was referring to) each mission is pretty much the same thing. Much like how in Tropico you'd start out pretty much the same way regardless of the mission; a few farms, a fishing hut, some housing - Omerta is the same, except with even fewer things to do in a longer opening phase and much less choice of where to put them.

I enjoyed it, but it is repetitive and there's a general lack of content. I'd hoped the reason Tropico 4 had little new since Tropico 3 was because their art department was working flat out on this, evidently not. They just don't have very many artists.

It's a fun little game but definitely worth waiting for a sale.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 Headshots Trailer
2. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 Headshots Trailer Feb 28, 2013, 20:11 Quboid

That's just going to get annoying. Not nearly as cool as Sniper Elite 2's x-ray slow-mo. Lovely stuff there!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
25. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 28, 2013, 20:08 Quboid

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 19:19:
Aaaand here ya go....

Assuming that's 100GB for a 2 hour UHD movie, that's about 14MB/s, or 112Mb, stable connection. I have a 55Mb connection but I wouldn't say I reliably get much more than about half that, so in theory, I'd need at least a 220Mbit line. Ouch.

That would also burn through data caps, even assuming they're 'inflation adjusted' to suit the higher speed. If I got 4x the speed and 4x the data cap, it would be 800GB in peak times, or 4 movies a month, and nothing else.

TL;DR: that's a lot of data.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Feb 28, 2013, 17:07 Quboid

Hassan al-Sabbah wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 13:33:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:16:
I find Yahtzee videos to be borderline unwatchable.

im pretty sure he time-stretches the audio

What does that mean?

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Feb 28, 2013, 11:11 Quboid

I think he limited his wrath because of his reputation. As the intro shows, he's well aware of how he's seen and he doesn't want to be too predictable.  

- Quboid

3931 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 51.
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo