Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4345 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Graphics upgrade Oct 7, 2013, 21:52 Quboid

Question - will these work in SLI?

A: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked 2048MB GDDR5 (1045Mhz/6008Mhz)
B: Gainward GeForce GTX 660 Golden Sample 2048MB GDDR5 (1006Mhz/6108Mhz)

The whole golden-shower super-cock bullshit is bullshit, right? They're both GTX 660 non-Ti with the same type of RAM, AFAIK that's what matters. I presume they'd run at 1006Mhz/6008Mhz.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 7, 2013, 10:09 Quboid

Verno wrote on Oct 7, 2013, 08:59:
Windows 8 being over $100 makes it a much less reasonable upgrade proposition for the Windows 7 user.

I was careful to use the phrase "if you need to buy Windows" for this reason. While I recommend buying Win 8 over Win 7, I definitely would not recommend upgrading Windows 7 to 8. Even if it was free, it wouldn't be worth the hassle unless you had other reasons to reinstall.

- Quboid

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
1. UK Market? Oct 7, 2013, 10:02 Quboid

I presume those comparison figures are for the UK market only. It's very sad that the top 4 are Call of Duty.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
11. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2013, 11:30 Quboid

With Stardock's Start8 (start menu) and ModernMix (forces all Metro apps into normal windows) for about $10 combined, IMHO Windows 8 is better and cheaper than Windows 7.

If you need to buy Windows, the only reason not to get Windows 8 is to vote with your wallet - it is messed up that anything is needed even if they are free (and I believe there are good free alternatives). It's not much of a message, especially as you're paying more (last time I checked) to the same people, but for some people it's the principal.

- Quboid

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
6. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 6, 2013, 10:03 Quboid

I didn't know the G700s was a thing until now. It looks nice too, better going by what JediPunisher said. 1Khz update rate?  

- Quboid

3. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 4, 2013, 20:07 Quboid

That's not so good. Can the mode change button be set to something else?Maybe that's his twelfth button, although if it only controls mouse features then I wouldn't count it.

By tilt, do you mean pushing the wheel to the side to scroll horizontally? Since binding those to previous and next tab, I find this indispensable.

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity Offline Mode a "Possibility"
8. Re: SimCity Offline Mode a Oct 4, 2013, 17:15 Quboid

this is something that many of our players have been asking for

Really? Have they? They've been asking for offline mode? Is that so?

- Quboid

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Beta Opens
9. Re: Battlefield 4 Beta Opens Oct 4, 2013, 12:22 Quboid

Sneakycamper wrote on Oct 4, 2013, 11:31:
Hey everyone there is little help on the people who haven't BOUGHT or have PreOrdered this game and just went to the site and downloaded it and got stuck at the screen saying to enter your Product Key ? I've been
all over this OPEN to the public searching for anyone or anything saying
"Free" ? no purchase needed ? Anyone know if there is Open to the Public
Non-payment would help !

I could download it no problem, with no pre-order of any kind. I have BF3 but I don't think it's the fancy edition with BF4 beta access and I couldn't access the beta before getting up this morning. If Origin has been running since before the beta became publicly available, try restarting it.

- Quboid

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Oct 4, 2013, 10:45 Quboid

Kinda wish I hadn't just bought a mouse. That Logitech G602 looks rather nice.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 20:41 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 19:29:
The Verge discussing this exact topic.

That's interesting. They seem to think they're making a case against this being a gimmick, but they don't actually give any reasons why someone buying a high end phone right now should give one single solitary damn.

It's good that 64-bit is being adopted and kudos to Apple for leading the way but as a selling point for current phones, it's a gimmick.

- Quboid

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 12:45 Quboid

nate12345 wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 12:33:
64-bit architecture usually improves more than just the address bus (for addressing over 4GB of memory). The data bus is usually enlarged to 64-bits, registers are enlarged to 64-bits, and there are probably new instructions. All of these can improve the performance of chip.

Does that increase performance? I don't know the details of how these things work, when is 64-bit architecture an advantage over a 32-bit one - only for larger than 32-bit data types like large floats or huge integers, or can it be more efficient like holding 8 1-byte characters instead of 4?

Isn't there also additional overhead? If a standard integer goes from being 32-bit to 64-bit (again, not sure of the details) then there's twice as many bits to manipulate and 4x as many in a '64-bit compared to 64-bit' operation as in a '32-bit/32-bit' operation.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2013, 12:52.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 3, 2013, 11:03 Quboid

Looks like they've been taking PR advice from PETA.

The only time I ever hear of the American Red Cross is when they're messing things up. They're separate from other Red Cross organisations (although associated) who I never hear a bad thing about.

- Quboid

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 3, 2013, 10:47 Quboid

SirKnight wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 09:33:
More butthurt BS spew from Qualcomm. How surprising!

There's nothing gimmicky about A7 at all. The benchmarks show it to be quite fast and this is due to the newer very efficient ARM arch, which happens to also be 64bit. This arch being 64bit is ARM's doing, not Apple's.

RTFA.

He says that marketing the iPhone and the A7 for its 64-bit capabilities is a gimmick as the phone doesn't have more than 4GB RAM and 64-bit isn't any use for mobile processors yet.

It's not unreasonable for ARM to support 64-bit it as it will be needed soon. It's not unreasonable for Apple to use it as it's a good chip (benchmarks show that it's quite fast). It does appear to be unreasonable for Apple to sell it on being 64-bit. The first blurb on Apple.com's iPhone 5S page:

iPhone 5s is the first 64-bit smartphone in the world. And iOS 7 was designed with that in mind, built specifically for 64-bit architecture. Which makes iOS 7 just as advanced as the iPhone itís on.

What benefit does 64-bit bring to users? Does justify this being the first selling point and if not, is it not a gimmick?

- Quboid

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Developer List Found
30. Re: Half-Life 3 Developer List Found Oct 2, 2013, 14:23 Quboid

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 13:19:
Eh, it could come out or could never come out, it'd be just about the same for me. I don't know why Valve expects people to stay interested in a storyline for 12 years.

If it comes out and it's a good game, I'll pick it up on sale at some point.

You don't know why Valve (presumably) expect people to stay interested after 12 years? I think 12 years of HL:Ep3 and HL3 questions and theories might have given them a clue.

- Quboid

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Developer List Found
12. Re: Half-Life 3 Developer List Found Oct 2, 2013, 10:37 Quboid

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 10:32:
I can't remember where I read it but apparently Valve makes more off DOTA 2 in like a month than they ever made off their other games. Much as I also want Half-Life 3, I think they know where their bread is buttered now. And this doesn't even count what they make from Steam.

Is that why there's so many MOBA games?

The Dorkly thing doesn't really hold up (wanting HL3 isn't to want CoD) but it's funny and makes some good points. It would be a great launch title for SteamOS especially if (as suggested by someone else here) they can release it for SteamOS for free.

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity Modding Discussion
5. Re: SimCity Modding Discussion Oct 1, 2013, 11:46 Quboid

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 10:22:
Yakubs wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 09:35:
Here's the first draft:

The SimCity player should be allowed to mod their own game however the fuck they want. If someone gets offended then oh well.

Yes because I really want a city full of penis buildings ala Spore...

If that's 'however the fuck [you] want' then yes. If you don't want that, then no. You're implying that mods would be forced on you.

Perhaps they would be if you visited someone else's city who used them but then that's the case now, someone could draw a penis with the roads. If you look at other people's creativity, you have to accept that some people's creativity manifests its self in the form of cock drawings (besides, anything involved other Simcity players is a moot point to me and to most/all of Bluesnews).

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2013, 11:52.

- Quboid

News Comments > SimCity Modding Discussion
1. Re: SimCity Modding Discussion Oct 1, 2013, 09:35 Quboid

"do not jeopardize the integrity of the gameplay"

Ah yes, the old "non-compete clause". Makes sure EA has the monopoly on doing this.

- Quboid

News Comments > Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne
5. Re: Wasteland Kings Renamed Nuclear Throne Sep 30, 2013, 11:17 Quboid

Well, isn't that nice.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2013, 19:14 Quboid

Dmitri_M wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 19:07:
I just finished watching seasons 1 - 5 of Breaking bad the past 2 weeks. I am about as prepped as I can be for the finale.

Half way through season 2 ... I'm going to have to disconnect my internets and switch off my telephone.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2013, 17:52 Quboid

Quboid wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 10:59:
I'm about a third of the way through season 2 of a little show called Breaking Bad, you guys should check it out.

HOLY SHITBALLS THE TURTLE!

- Quboid

4345 Comments. 218 pages. Viewing page 51.
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo