Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 3921 (Veteran)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Q&As
6. Re: Evening Q&As Mar 1, 2013, 21:49 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 20:02:
I have played the (2nd) 1hr beta and if you see the depth of the simulation with its many thousands of independent smart actors you will understand why it's limited to the size it is. Simulation depth is absolutely stunning, and the data views are the BEST visualization of data on a city map ever conceived. It looks absolutely stunning. The game itself looks ok, even pretty at times

Will see on the 8th whether it has the magic or not.

I played it too, quite pleased with what I saw and I don't think my rig could handle larger cities. However, as jacobvandy says, why not make it future-proof? I suppose it won't matter, they'll switch off the server before I upgrade... *sobs*

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
10. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 1, 2013, 13:08 Quboid

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 11:09:
Quboid wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 11:04:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 08:51:
I'm just curious how bans on clip sizes and fully automatics is going to make anyone "safer" when the majority of gun crimes are committed with handguns.

You're answering your own question there, aren't you? It's the majority, not the entirety. Additionally, massacres (say 8+ deaths) seem to be done with these weapons.

Not really. When you have 98% of crimes committed with handguns, and the remaining 2% are mental cases going on sprees, what sounds better? Knee jerk bans, or trying to find ways to improve mental health care to avoid these mentally ill people from going off the deep end in the first place?

I just wish we would stop governing on emotions rather than logic.

I find that pro-gun people tend to be rather more interested in (their own) emotion rather than logic when it comes to correlation between homicide and gun ownership. They also seem rather less interested in improving any healthcare for the sort of income bracket that many of these nuts come from. I've heard no ideas on how to actually improve mental health, even if the increased availability of healthcare was welcomed - for a start, you can only help people who look for help.

I think it is something that is the only way to make a difference - death by a thousand cuts. No one can walk in and fix the gun (lack of) control problem but they can make dents when something wakes up enough Americans to the problem. If enough massacres happen on enough blue presidents' watches then maybe gun control will fixed, even if half the country will have no problem pretending otherwise.

I see this in the UK, if 2 people are killed in a gun attack there are howls from the pro-gun lobby (which has little power here) that this proves that gun control doesn't help and should be scrapped. What their leaders ignore is that this has happened a lot less, and with fewer deaths each time, since gun control was tightened.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 11:15 Quboid

Creston wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 11:13:
100GB plus downloads. Yeah, the Telcos won't throttle those in a heartbeat... Rolleyes

Creston

Paraphrasing what I said in the earlier thread:

For streaming, and assuming that's 100GB for a 2 hour UHD movie, that's about 14MB/s (112Mbit) stable connection. I have a 55Mb connection but I wouldn't say I reliably get much more than about half that, so in theory, I'd need at least a 220Mbit line. Ouch.

That would also burn through data caps, even assuming they're 'inflation adjusted' to suit the higher speed. If my data cap was also 4x what it presently is, it would be 800GB in peak times, or 8 movies a month and nothing else, 8-6 on weekdays. What am I going to do for the rest of the working day, be productive??!

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2013, 11:22.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2013, 11:07 Quboid

That Sony 4K link was courtesy of nin in this thread.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 1, 2013, 11:04 Quboid

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 08:51:
I'm just curious how bans on clip sizes and fully automatics is going to make anyone "safer" when the majority of gun crimes are committed with handguns.

You're answering your own question there, aren't you? It's the majority, not the entirety. Additionally, massacres (say 8+ deaths) seem to be done with these weapons.

- Quboid

News Comments > Omerta - City of Gangsters Free DLC Released; Patch Plans
10. Re: Omerta - City of Gangsters Free DLC Released; Patch Plans Mar 1, 2013, 10:40 Quboid

nin wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 08:46:
dj LiTh wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 07:29:
This game is about 3-5 hours worth of content, then do the same thing over until your tired of it. Its a 10$ game at best.

Disappointing to hear, but you saved me money...

I'd say that's a bit harsh. There's, what, a dozen campaign missions? Each one took me about 3 hours, and I enjoyed every one.

However (and I think this is what dj LiTh was referring to) each mission is pretty much the same thing. Much like how in Tropico you'd start out pretty much the same way regardless of the mission; a few farms, a fishing hut, some housing - Omerta is the same, except with even fewer things to do in a longer opening phase and much less choice of where to put them.

I enjoyed it, but it is repetitive and there's a general lack of content. I'd hoped the reason Tropico 4 had little new since Tropico 3 was because their art department was working flat out on this, evidently not. They just don't have very many artists.

It's a fun little game but definitely worth waiting for a sale.

- Quboid

News Comments > Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 Headshots Trailer
2. Re: Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 Headshots Trailer Feb 28, 2013, 20:11 Quboid

That's just going to get annoying. Not nearly as cool as Sniper Elite 2's x-ray slow-mo. Lovely stuff there!  

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
25. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 28, 2013, 20:08 Quboid

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 19:19:
Aaaand here ya go....

Assuming that's 100GB for a 2 hour UHD movie, that's about 14MB/s, or 112Mb, stable connection. I have a 55Mb connection but I wouldn't say I reliably get much more than about half that, so in theory, I'd need at least a 220Mbit line. Ouch.

That would also burn through data caps, even assuming they're 'inflation adjusted' to suit the higher speed. If I got 4x the speed and 4x the data cap, it would be 800GB in peak times, or 4 movies a month, and nothing else.

TL;DR: that's a lot of data.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Feb 28, 2013, 17:07 Quboid

Hassan al-Sabbah wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 13:33:
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 10:16:
I find Yahtzee videos to be borderline unwatchable.

im pretty sure he time-stretches the audio

What does that mean?

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Feb 28, 2013, 11:11 Quboid

I think he limited his wrath because of his reputation. As the intro shows, he's well aware of how he's seen and he doesn't want to be too predictable.  

- Quboid

News Comments > EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers
14. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 11:01 Quboid

fawker wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 09:51:
Considering the majority of f2p models are horrible cash grabs, I'm glad they are not.

I like having the full experience for a nominal monthly fee, rather than never having the full experience in F2P, without spending hundreds of dollars.

I agree. The Android Market (I still prefer that to Google Play Store) is awful for this. Looking at the top free, top new free and top grossing and the same titles pop up time and again. These are supposedly free, how can they be top grossing? I wonder...

Clearly there's bucket loads of money so I can see why it's being jumped upon but it's already got to the point where I view paying for an Android game to be a good thing. When paid games start getting away with in-app purchases, then I'm screwed. It wouldn't be hard for Google to enable filtering of apps with in-app payments but doing this for PC games is a lot harder.

Let me pay you a fair price for the game and then let me compete using my skill or fail to compete due to my lack of skill. Don't put me in a position where the top ranks of your game is limited to kids with their parents' credit card.

Still, $15/m sounds like a lot. I'm not sure how plex affect things, if this means the top players effectively play for free, do some of the lower players buy extra?

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2013, 10:45 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 09:35:
Change the Patent Office and stop with the ridiculous patents. That's what's really required.

Credit to Peter DeFazio (D-OR) and Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) for trying. Whether or not it's sufficient (in its present or eventual form) is for people more qualified than me to say but it looks like a genuine attempt at curbing a serious problem.

- Quboid

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Reveal at E3?
6. Re: Just Cause 3 Reveal at E3? Feb 27, 2013, 23:58 Quboid

Fingers crossed it's JC3.

I'd like to see some development on the open-world theme, such as a dynamic campaign. The tendency towards wanting cinematic (what an awful word) makes this unlikely but maybe we'll see some progress here.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 26, 2013, 08:06 Quboid

nin wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 22:58:
I think there's also a difference in picking on an adult and a 9 y/o kid.

Interesting that, from what I read, it sounds like the onion has been gutted and moved in the last year, and isn't the folks it used to be.

edit: Link to the onion changes.

They weren't picking on a 9yo, they were picking on the media; the same media who are probably now following their "Onion insults little girl" stories with "5 worst dressed women at the Oscars" and fail to see the irony.

As satire, it was a bit ham-fisted - the c-word seems to be the only non-racial swear word that still offends. It shouldn't have been tweeted in the first place, because it just wasn't that funny.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 25, 2013, 16:51 Quboid

Don't iPhones have better battery life than most high end phones? My SGS3 is pretty poor, it doesn't last a day of heavy usage.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
27. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 24, 2013, 08:02 Quboid

Jeraxle wrote on Feb 24, 2013, 06:36:
Quboid wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 13:31:
Why would a soldier in combat have an iPhone, except to act as body armour? Isn't that all kinds of dangerous?

It could give away his position (by triangulating its cell connection), photos could be geotagged or give away sensitive information - ....

Giving away his position would be a neat trick given the lack of cell towers that an iphone works with here in Afghanistan.

I'm not surprised that reception is worse than patchy, but even just the phone looking for a tower, or a wifi hotspot, would be enough to give away your position. All the more reason to keep it in airplane mode I suppose.

Are there any checks made to ensure the solders' private equipment is safe?

- Quboid

22. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 23, 2013, 23:14 Quboid

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 22:19:
The Half Elf wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 21:24:
People already kill themselves by using a cell phone in places they shouldn't (driving, walking, etc), how much worse is it going to be when they are wearing them?

How many people you know that have died because they were using their cell-phone? Leave out driving, that is banned. Sounds like a bunch of grandma's round here... Time for the plastic bubbles.

In fairness, just because it's banned doesn't mean people aren't killing themselves - and more importantly killing others - by using their phone while driving.

There's potential for some useful stuff with Glass and driving - the obvious one being a HUD, so your speed and revs are displayed on your glasses via an app which talks to your car. Someone (Nissan, I think) has a smartphone app that you can use to control the aircon and suchlike in your car so this is not a big leap at all. Being able to see this without taking your eyes off the road could save lives.

- Quboid

16. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 21:02 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 20:39:
I'm just not a douchebag that's attached to gadgets I don't need. Even cell phones, the vast majority of people don't even need one, yet they can't stop walking around yammering away and texting on them for no real reason at all. This is just another useless device for assholes. I can hardly wait to see when it starts killing all these idiots who are going to be distracted walking into traffic, etc. from wearing those stupid things. People that fill the emptiness in their life with needless toys are just sad.

So you want to see people wearing these get killed - who's the asshole here? I realise you don't mean this literally but even figuratively, that's bullshit.

People yammer away and text a lot because they want to. Because they're communicating with friends and loved ones - the people who perhaps make their life fulfilled. Even if they're just playing games or reading web pages, so? Why is this a problem for you? In what way is people doing what they want to do with what they want to use a bad thing? The vast majority of people do not need cell phones, but they want one and if they can afford it, why not?

Do you not do anything that's not needed? Since you're posting here, I'm pretty sure you do - with all due respect to Blue, this site isn't needed. It's a hobby (for us, not Blue), we play games and we read about games because we like it. I also play games or text friends because I like it and ultimately yes, it's a needless toy, but I like it and that's no one's business but mine.

You sound like the sort of douche bag poser you are talking about, except your particular brand of posing is to think you're too cool to use a gadget.

You are presumably an adult, if you can easily afford $1500, yet you're posting on a website about games - is that not just as much filling your life with needless toys?

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2013, 21:08.

- Quboid

13. Re: Saturday Mobilization Feb 23, 2013, 20:12 Quboid

Is GoPro anything more than a camera? Google Glass is a lot more; directions, local information and augmented reality stuff - much of what a smartphone does.

I'm not saying it's worth $1500, or whatever the consumer price will be as I'm sure it will be horribly expensive, but I think it's a very cool project. Not cool in the traditional sense of course as wearing this will make you look very odd, particularly at first. I don't see why having this is a sign that you're a pathetic douche bag, why do you say that Cutter?

It's sort of like how wearing a Bluetooth headset looked odd, although I don't really understand the whole Blue-tool objection some people have. Wearing a Bluetooth headset makes you look like a taxi driver - there's nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing particularly great about it either.

I wonder what the Google Glass's battery life is like. Streaming video to and from the glasses, with GPS and the display on, all while being small and light enough to wear as glasses ... about 3 minutes?

killer_roach, I'd guess you could get prescription lenses for it. They probably wouldn't be cheap, but Google would be crazy not to offer this in some way.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2013, 20:18.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 23, 2013, 16:06 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2013, 15:13:
That 3D pen is wild! Love how far they've blown past their goal with a month to go.

That's impressive. Not sure it's actually much use but that's what people said about electricity once upon a time.

I worry for KSs that go so far over budget. This is a whole other project than what they intended; one they might not be ready for.

- Quboid

3921 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 51.
< Newer [ 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo