Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4272 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel
40. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 20:17 Quboid

It really depends on what the game was trying to be. The disagreement seems to be based on how you see it - the character's journey or the player's journey.

If it was trying to make the player think about how the player character descends into madness, then it has done a pretty good job.

If it was trying to make a moral point and trying to make the player feel bad, then it failed.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 15:51 Quboid

ItBurn wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 15:02:
The Witcher games already do this. You make a bunch of calls which you think are the right ones, but you really have no idea. And then you reap the consequences and sometimes they really really suck. I killed a whole village of people because of one of my choices and Geralt kept on going and the story took into consideration my choices. You make the decision if you're a good or bad guy and it's really hard to tell at points. Even games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Fallout 3 do this successfully to some extent, or at least better than Spec Ops. The difference is that spec ops tried to make you feel specifically like an asshole. At least the Witcher games aren't as terrible as Spec Ops, so let's encourage them instead.

Very good points.

I haven't actually played The Witcher much. I own both but never got into either, that style of combat doesn't appeal. It's hard to say but it felt clunky and lacked the immediacy that I prefer. I know it's absolutely not, but it felt like a bad port at times. I haven't played Dragon Age. The Witcher sounds like the sort of organic choice and morality which is the best way to do it IMHO. I should revisit The Witcher 2.

Morality is an important aspect to games with choice, either explicit choices like Mass Effect or The Witcher (as I understand it) or open games like Skyrim or Fallout (which do have explicit choices but unlike Mass Effect also have lots of so-called emergent gameplay choices like random murdering or nicking stuff while the shop keeper has a basket over his head). Even in games without morality systems in them, this affects my choices - if there's choice, there's morality and if there isn't choice, Spec Ops, there isn't morality. I much prefer games without actual morality systems - consequences should be natural and whether a choice is morally good or bad should be left to the player. The world doesn't pop up "+5 Good" and neither should a game, rather NPCs should judge my decisions based on their beliefs, needs, and understanding. I typically play as good characters, but systems like Mass Effect's makes me feel that I have to max it out so morality becomes one choice early in the game: good or bad.

Mass Effect is a great example of branching story lines, bar the ending which basically chucked all your decisions - and basic logic - out the window. This is a large part of why Mass Effect are great games and Spec Ops: The Line is little more than a curiosity - they attempted to have their cake and eat it with regards to morality and linearity. Considering whether the player was the bad guy was an interesting take but if it was trying to make a moral statement, it failed hard.

If you want to try another take on branching story telling, check out Alpha Protocol. It was the Fallout New Vegas team's previous project, it's not nearly as polished as Mass Effect but there are some similarities.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2014, 15:57.

- Quboid

25. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 14:54 Quboid

To its credit, I felt that it was more about him obsessing about "Am I a bad person?" rather than the game repeatedly telling us that he is.

With regards to the phosphorous scene (which I guess is now beyond spoiler tags) - this demonstrates the difficulty in developing plot-driven interactive content. That scene would have been vastly more powerful if it had been my mistake, rather than my character's, but I can't think of any way to implement that as the entire rest of the game hinges on this mistake. That games make us identify with the lead character to some extent is an amazing story telling innovation but we don't really know how to use it yet. Books, films, etc don't have any problem with the reader disagreeing with a decision because we don't feel like any decision is being made *for us*.

I think this is what I like about Spec Ops: The Line. It tried something different and by and large it failed. But it tried, and the next time someone tries to make a game that tries something different, they'll have a little bit more idea about what works and what doesn't. It's a brave new world and I'm not referring to the Civ 5 expansion pack which, being open-ended, takes a whole other approach to interactive story telling.

- Quboid

14. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 11:54 Quboid

I really don't think that the combat was supposed to be a grind. It was pretty much the same as the previous Spec Ops games I played and they can't just claim that exactly the same thing is now a clever statement unless they're also admitting that their previous game sucked - which it did, but I think is rather more than they want to admit. I don't think they went for intentionally bad gameplay at all but even if they did, they wouldn't - they couldn't - just use the same gameplay and claim the opposite to what they'd said a few years earlier. I agree with ItBurn on this, they simply failed to make good gameplay.

However, despite its many flaws it is one of the most memorable games in recent years and in terms of how memorable it is for me compared to how good it is or how much time I spent playing it, it's one of the most impactful games I've ever played.

I don't think games should need to be fun. If fun is implied in the name "video game" then we need a new name, we don't need to neuter our interactive content to fit an anachronism.

Elf Shot The Food sums up the biggest flaw in the story line. You weren't supposed to know before it but I did and I wasn't the only one.

- Quboid

4. Re: Yager: No Spec Ops: The Line Sequel Jul 21, 2014, 10:35 Quboid

Spec Ops: The Line had lacklustre combat, just the same 3rd person cover whack-a-mole nonsense that we've seen a millions times. Graphically it was average and even its plot was over done and trying too hard.

And yet, Spec Ops: The Line is the only Spec Ops game I remember. It tried something new and even if it was rather ham-fisted IMHO, dammit it tried and that puts it above so many of its contemporaries. It's a fleeting thought I've had many times while playing games: I'm gunning down hundreds of people, just who is the bad guy here? It's interesting to see someone examine that line of thought.

In 5 years when they announce a new Spec Ops game, it will be The Line that they will appeal to people's nostalgia for.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 20, 2014, 13:33 Quboid

That's an interesting take, WaltC.

The idea that the NSA would now have vastly more computer power than cold-war era USSR doesn't strike me as especially amazing - there's possibly more in my house - and given how it has expanded in budget and personnel over the last 13 years (and wasn't tiny before 9/11), the manpower wouldn't be a problem. I don't think any of the leaked stuff has especially high manpower requirements, it mostly seems to be number-crunching done by computers. This isn't 1984 Ministry Of Truth style stuff where masses of paper is being "corrected" by hand, they just need to hire nerds with fewer qualms than good Will Hunting.

I don't see him constantly leaking negative stuff as being inconsistent with someone who has taken a moral stand again the amount of negative stuff he saw. I wouldn't expect someone to whistle-blow all the lovely legal stuff that they'd witnessed.

There's quite a lot of smoke for there to be no fire. Did he manage to trick Glenn Greenwald, The Guardian and all the other reputable news sources long before he went to Russia? I presume the stuff being leaked now has been seen by journalists long ago and isn't under Putin's control. Did he get Lavabit to shut themselves down? Why have so many companies, unable to legally say "yes we had install surveillance gear" been unwilling to say "no we have not had to install gear"? Why have Google engineers been quoted reacting angrily to the news that the NSA had *further* surveillance on their traffic if that the NSA already had some was known beyond Snowden? Why is Snowden capable of such feats and the NSA isn't?

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2014, 17:32.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
4. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 19, 2014, 21:57 Quboid

panbient wrote on Jul 19, 2014, 19:12:
I wonder more about why Snowden and his team are so hung up on this drip drop method of releasing information and trying to keep his name in the press.

Like that whole 'they look at nudie pics in the office' release from last week. To my ears that sounds like scraping the bottom of the barrel. By keeping his name in the press for these kind of 'reveals' makes him seem like the conspiracy equivalent to a Kardashian.

It keeps the issue in the news. The general public has the attention span of a hyperactive goldfish and we'd have moved on to something shinier by now if they'd dumped it all at once. It also makes it awkward for the NSA's lackeys to bullshit their way out of things if they don't know what lies could be quickly debunked.

- Quboid

News Comments > Subscription MMOG Market Analysis
1. Re: Subscription MMOG Market Analysis Jul 18, 2014, 16:18 Quboid

How much do these things cost to run? It can't be cheap to host and maintain these things and I wonder how much change out of that $104M do CCP see. A lot, I hope, but I don't expect anyone makes this sort of data public.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jul 18, 2014, 16:10 Quboid

The best thing about Weird Al is that he spoofs some awful, but catchy songs. Now if I get Blurred Lines stuck in my head, I can start singing Word Crimes.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Jul 18, 2014, 00:39 Quboid

What's the world coming to? If we can't look to parody song writers for moral guidance well then I don't know who we can look up to any more.  

- Quboid

News Comments > GRID Autosport Boost Pack Released, Because "It Sells"
10. Re: GRID Autosport Boost Pack Released, Because Jul 16, 2014, 22:18 Quboid

"Under no circumstances did we make the game a grind on purpose (that much I can promise you)"

No. Not good enough.

You have not earned that trust. You have financial incentive to make your game worse and a promise from someone I don't know isn't worth a damn thing.

How stupid do you think we are? Worse, how stupid are we?

Forza 4 has the worst business practise I have seen and I've no reason to believe this isn't the same: intentional grinding in a single player game. The developers actually intentionally made the game worse, and then sold us ways to get around this. That is disgraceful, in my opinion worse than always-online DRM.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2014, 22:25.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
25. Re: Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 16, 2014, 19:36 Quboid

I'm not commenting on how true the notion is but phrases like that always surprises me. A British politician saying "pure laziness of teachers" would be like them saying "well who cares if our soldiers die" or "I hate the voters and I never intend to get re-elected and I eat puppies for breakfast." You just don't say that. You hint at it and you treat them like that but you don't come out and say it.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Sims 2 Support Ending
9. Re: Sims 2 Support Ending Jul 16, 2014, 18:30 Quboid

"mostly"? That's a generous choice of word

This is good of them. It's 10 years old and the sequel's sequel is on its way so as long as people can still play their copy, officially ending what I assume actually ended years ago is fair enough. As well as being a nice way to thank fans, any lingering community can build off the same version and not have mods only work for some people (if The Sims even has any of this stuff).

EA have done a few good things recently. I know the free games are to get people on to Origin but IMHO that's fair enough and AFAIK they're not dressing it up as anything else. The free game for SimCity owners was more than I expected.

I don't expect EA have turned over a new leaf or will change much. Perhaps their new boss got PR guys to try to hide their shame with free-game shaped fig leaves. I'm not convinced but I'll happily take free stuff.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2014, 17:11 Quboid

Speaking of pets, my name is Jeeves and your soul now belongs to me.

He was about 7 weeks old when I took those photos, he's nearly 9 weeks now. Currently lying between my forearms, resting his head and neck on my left hand, despite me typing.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 14, 2014, 14:59 Quboid

From the headline and Boing Boing's reporting regurgitating of a partisan blog, you'd think this was something terrible that The Man was doing to the poor populace. Reading a little in to it, my sympathy for this woman dwindles ever more. She repeatedly broke the law and ignored every punishment that she was given - surprise surprise, she's been given an punishment that she can't ignore.

I'm all for people's right to protest but you can't justify any action with "it was a protest". Neither article explains what she actually did which, given how biased they are, speaks volumes to me.

- Quboid

News Comments > West Games/Areal AMA Doesn't Answer All Questions
2. Re: West Games/Areal AMA Doesn't Answer All Questions Jul 14, 2014, 10:22 Quboid

Hey, it's "Ask Me Anything", not "I'll Answer Anything".

This looks like a train wreak. By the looks of it, they're asking for money to develop enough to take to a publisher and get a proper deal. Good luck to backers, all the Kickstarter risk to determine if these guys will start to develop the game.

- Quboid

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2014, 19:35 Quboid

I called all 4 games after the quarters, although I certainly didn't expect Germany to beat Brazil by that scoreline. My predictions earlier in the tournament were dreadful so the obvious conclusion is that I've massively improved and can now predict any result. Right?

Before the tournament, my call was to sit on the fence and only pick Brazil (over Spain and Germany) when pushed.

Congratulations Germany. The best team. Schweinsteiger versus Mascherano was a wonderful battle.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2014, 21:36 Quboid

Pigeon wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 19:23:
The public didn't support the police's plan to chemically induce an erection in a teen and then take pictures of it? Guess they'll just have to label him a terrorist so they can do whatever they want.

How do things like this get so far without someone saying "whoa, hold on guys, what the heck are we doing?"

Horny teenagers will do stupid things, sexting is a world away from what these laws as designed for as I understand it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Jul 10, 2014, 14:16 Quboid

It looks like the guy published his first draft by mistake, it's so amateurish, and this is assuming that it's not full of factual errors as that site's comments suggest.

Using press screenshots in a review is a terrible idea as they're at best carefully chosen and all too often just fake. Using the wrong press shots - apparently the screenshots show alpha UI/graphics - means he either only played the alpha and didn't know things had changed or he did not care about giving his readers an accurate impression of the game.

- Quboid

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2014, 19:50 Quboid

nin wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 18:16:
Lorcin wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 17:54:
7-1 against Brazil??? Guess the US wasn't as bad as people here made out.

There's various gifs/clips of the folks of Brazil crying their eyes out...so much fun to watch!

Well I'm definitely not going to search them out. That would make me a horrible person.

Earlier in the tournament I was thinking that if Brazil went out then, combined with the protests, there could be some violence. I doubt that will happen now, their football fans will be more numb than angry. Neymar, Brazil's golden boy who missed tonight's debacle through injury, could probably run for presidency at this point - they'll be desperate for a hero.

I thought Germany would narrowly beat Brazil and I predict that Argentina will beat the Netherlands tomorrow. Germany and the Netherlands will win their final games against Argentina (the final) and Brazil (3rd place play-off) respectively.

- Quboid

4272 Comments. 214 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo