Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4259 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 15, 2014, 17:11 Quboid

Speaking of pets, my name is Jeeves and your soul now belongs to me.

He was about 7 weeks old when I took those photos, he's nearly 9 weeks now. Currently lying between my forearms, resting his head and neck on my left hand, despite me typing.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 14, 2014, 14:59 Quboid

From the headline and Boing Boing's reporting regurgitating of a partisan blog, you'd think this was something terrible that The Man was doing to the poor populace. Reading a little in to it, my sympathy for this woman dwindles ever more. She repeatedly broke the law and ignored every punishment that she was given - surprise surprise, she's been given an punishment that she can't ignore.

I'm all for people's right to protest but you can't justify any action with "it was a protest". Neither article explains what she actually did which, given how biased they are, speaks volumes to me.

- Quboid

News Comments > West Games/Areal AMA Doesn't Answer All Questions
2. Re: West Games/Areal AMA Doesn't Answer All Questions Jul 14, 2014, 10:22 Quboid

Hey, it's "Ask Me Anything", not "I'll Answer Anything".

This looks like a train wreak. By the looks of it, they're asking for money to develop enough to take to a publisher and get a proper deal. Good luck to backers, all the Kickstarter risk to determine if these guys will start to develop the game.

- Quboid

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2014, 19:35 Quboid

I called all 4 games after the quarters, although I certainly didn't expect Germany to beat Brazil by that scoreline. My predictions earlier in the tournament were dreadful so the obvious conclusion is that I've massively improved and can now predict any result. Right?

Before the tournament, my call was to sit on the fence and only pick Brazil (over Spain and Germany) when pushed.

Congratulations Germany. The best team. Schweinsteiger versus Mascherano was a wonderful battle.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2014, 21:36 Quboid

Pigeon wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 19:23:
The public didn't support the police's plan to chemically induce an erection in a teen and then take pictures of it? Guess they'll just have to label him a terrorist so they can do whatever they want.

How do things like this get so far without someone saying "whoa, hold on guys, what the heck are we doing?"

Horny teenagers will do stupid things, sexting is a world away from what these laws as designed for as I understand it.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Game Reviews Jul 10, 2014, 14:16 Quboid

It looks like the guy published his first draft by mistake, it's so amateurish, and this is assuming that it's not full of factual errors as that site's comments suggest.

Using press screenshots in a review is a terrible idea as they're at best carefully chosen and all too often just fake. Using the wrong press shots - apparently the screenshots show alpha UI/graphics - means he either only played the alpha and didn't know things had changed or he did not care about giving his readers an accurate impression of the game.

- Quboid

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2014, 19:50 Quboid

nin wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 18:16:
Lorcin wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 17:54:
7-1 against Brazil??? Guess the US wasn't as bad as people here made out.

There's various gifs/clips of the folks of Brazil crying their eyes out...so much fun to watch!

Well I'm definitely not going to search them out. That would make me a horrible person.

Earlier in the tournament I was thinking that if Brazil went out then, combined with the protests, there could be some violence. I doubt that will happen now, their football fans will be more numb than angry. Neymar, Brazil's golden boy who missed tonight's debacle through injury, could probably run for presidency at this point - they'll be desperate for a hero.

I thought Germany would narrowly beat Brazil and I predict that Argentina will beat the Netherlands tomorrow. Germany and the Netherlands will win their final games against Argentina (the final) and Brazil (3rd place play-off) respectively.

- Quboid

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2014, 16:18 Quboid

The video of Koko the gorilla crying over the death of her kitten is probably the saddest video I've seen online. I always wonder how staged these things are but the documentary about Koko that's on Youtube is well worth 80 minutes.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 2014, 16:49.

- Quboid

News Comments > CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak
6. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 8, 2014, 16:00 Quboid

ASeven wrote on Jul 8, 2014, 15:46:
It wouldn't be Cliffb without him becoming a massive douche in the process of announcing a game that will no doubt fail and that he will no doubt blame on PC pirates or gamers or whatever as he did in the past.

He's got the excuse built in. All these PC gamers downloading his game for free!

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jul 7, 2014, 15:18 Quboid

Creston wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 14:47:
Quboid wrote on Jul 7, 2014, 14:00:
I actually kind of appreciate Cliff Bleszinski. He's arrogant, unprofessional and says exactly what I suspect all developers at some time or another think. I don't agree with how he says it, but I think he's usually right - the main one was that he referred to PC gamers as whiny pirates, right? Have you seen PC gamers? That's a gross generalisation but it's hardly the most outlandish claim.

Yeah, PC Gamers are all whiny pirates. And all developers are 12 year old fucking cockwaffles who'd be better off having their ability to speak removed.

Generalizations are so much fun!

(and as for him being right, cliffy also believed that people would just shut up and take it from Microsoft when they initially announced all their Xbone horseshit. He even urged people to shut up and just bend over.)

So yeah, good guy to stand up for.

That's a fair point, I can't vouch for the accuracy of his comments as a whole. What I've seen from him has usually been right but I don't seek out his stuff and even if I did I'd ignore anything console related. I don't think he's always wrong, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

I don't think he's a good guy, absolutely not, and I don't mean to stand up for him as such. I don't think he thinks differently to many other developers (a sizeable minority), he just lacks the filter to know when to shut the hell up. I don't like him but refreshing to have someone other than internet commenters who will call a spade a whiny little bitch of a spade.

Let me put it this way. CliffyB thinks I'm an idiot and says I'm an idiot. Randy Pitchford thinks I'm an idiot and treats me like an idiot. Now, I'm going to like a developer who doesn't think I'm an idiot more than I like either of those 2, but out of the 2 I'd rather listen to CliffyB than Randy P.

(It's probably about time I let Brothers in Arms go. Hell's Highway was 6 years ago, it's been longer than the war was.)

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 7, 2014, 14:00 Quboid

I actually kind of appreciate Cliff Bleszinski. He's arrogant, unprofessional and says exactly what I suspect all developers at some time or another think. I don't agree with how he says it, but I think he's usually right what little I've heard from him has usually been right - the main one was that he referred to PC gamers as whiny pirates, right? Have you seen PC gamers? That's a gross generalisation but it's hardly the most outlandish claim.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2014, 15:25.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 5, 2014, 22:14 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 21:01:
Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 13:34:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 5, 2014, 13:19:
There's something about BoingBoing and Cory that aggravates me and I can never figure out exactly what it is.

I dunno, the fact that all he does is engage in hyperbolic clickbait maybe? So some German site makes a claim - totally unsubstantiated - and thus the NSA is watching Boing Boing and its users. Rolleyes It's a garbage site.

Lmao, Tagesschau is "some German site" ?

If Tageschau airs it on the fucking 8pm news, which more than 33% of all Germans watch, daily, then it's not "some unsubstantiated claim" . Besides Spiegel Online that's about the only news media in Germany that actually fact checks. And Spiegel Online confirmed it. Just for your reference. Besides you can check the code yourself, the NSA xkeyscore selector code is findable on the Internet, and it does indeed list boingboing.

And here, further proof with download of the actual relevant stuff
http://daserste.ndr.de/panorama/aktuell/nsa230_page-1.html

That would require reading stuff. I'm surprised Cutter mentions "some German site", reading the first paragraph is more than he usually bothers with.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
4. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 5, 2014, 14:19 Quboid

The headline is trying too hard but I wouldn't dismiss a site based on that. Perhaps it's a pattern with Boing Boing or Cory Doctorow's stuff but there's no news site out there which has never got the occasional headline's tone wrong. Except this site - you can never be too you, Blue.

I think they make a decent effort to substantiate the story. It's not the sort of thing that can really be proven definitively without the NSA explaining their thinking. The code that they link to goes some way to backing the claim up (but it could be fake and it certainly doesn't contain anything like the full functionality).

- Quboid

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2014, 16:35 Quboid

Happy Birthday! You don't look a day over 220!  

- Quboid

News Comments > The Wolf Among Us Episode 5 Next Week
1. Re: The Wolf Among Us Episode 5 Next Week Jul 3, 2014, 13:54 Quboid

About time I restarted playing this. I enjoyed it a lot but the length of time between episodes is much too long. Episodic content doesn't work when the gaps are so long that people forget half the plot, their decisions and their relationships with the other characters. I don't even remember how many episodes I'd played. They're not sequels, it's the same story continuing seconds after the previous episode's ending - yet for us it's months later.

I know it's not just me, I don't understand how Telltale couldn't see this problem coming a mile off. I won't buy another unfinished game from them.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jul 3, 2014, 13:44 Quboid

Hitler has only got one ball,
Goering has two but very small,
Himmler, has something similar,
And poor old Goebbels has got none at all

The creation of this classic song, reconstructed with unerring historical accuracy (maybe).

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jul 3, 2014, 09:37 Quboid

"Proves", "evidence", these are complicated words for VG247.  

- Quboid

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 16:48 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 14:59:
Quboid wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 09:21:

And yet, the USMNT did comfortably better than England (and of course far better than the other British teams, none of whom qualified) and there's no particular reason why this should surprise anyone. Wow, a country with 6 times our population and who are famous for their interest in sport can find 23 people rather good at playing one of the most popular ones?! Well done them!

By that logic, China should always win the world cup. Or at least be in competition. Yet they didn't even qualify.

Also, to quote John Oliver about soccer in America: "Soccer is something you take your ten-year-old to."

I meant that referring to how some UK journalists treat the US like a country which doesn't have enough professional players to pick a team from, I didn't mean to imply that population should strongly correlate with success.

- Quboid

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 13:06 Quboid

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 12:12:
Quboid wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 09:21:
And yet, the USMNT did comfortably better than England (and of course far better than the other British teams, none of whom qualified) and there's no particular reason why this should surprise anyone. Wow, a country with 6 times our population and who are famous for their interest in sport can find 23 people rather good at playing one of the most popular ones?! Well done them!
Really, the population card? Who are you, Tony Kornheiser? If/when soccer makes it into the top 4 of US sports, you can expect the US to start doing a lot better. I doubt it will happen in our lifetimes.

Until then, soccer (for the most part) will continue to get leftover athletes from the other sports.

I don't know what you mean. People play an X card when they're desperate for an excuse - I'm not sure what I'm looking for an excuse for, never mind why I would be looking to excuse it. I can only assume it's for why the USMNT did better than the England team, and that you think I find the England team failing hard to be anything other than amusing.

Who's Tony Kornheiser?

Edit: The part you quoted, when stripped of it's context, implies that a bit. In context, it's sarcasm directed at British journalists who think/pretend to think that the USMNT is made up of some plucky little underdogs bravely giving it their all, in the way that the same journalists talk about Andorra or other countries whose players have day jobs.

If I was trying to say that England did OK despite being a tiny country, I wouldn't have mentioned Costa Rica. Which I just did

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2014, 13:11.

- Quboid

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2014, 09:21 Quboid

The English media is in full patronisation mode, talking about how Americans will now understand soccer and appreciate 0-0 and oh didn't they do ever so well considering most of the team hadn't even seen a football pitch a month ago.

It's pathetic journalism really. The USMNT worked hard but rarely did anything with the ball. Tim Howard was outstanding but when the goalkeeper for losing team steals the show, clearly the rest of the team wasn't up to their job. They weren't dreadful by any means - Yedlin may get a 10x wage increase out of it - but they weren't as superb as many media types here would have us believe.

And yet, the USMNT did comfortably better than England (and of course far better than the other British teams, none of whom qualified) and there's no particular reason why this should surprise anyone. It seems that these journalists can't help but treat the US team like part timers from Andorra or suchlike: wow, a country with 6 times our population and who are famous for their interest in sport can find 23 people rather good at playing one of the most popular ones?! Well done them!

I think there's an inferiority complex with some of these journalists, until the USA says "oh wait, soccer *is* fun!" they'll always try to talk up American soccer performances. (OK, yes, I'll defend it when I think it is misrepresented, but I'm quite ready to say "fair enough, each to their own" to anyone of any nationality who simply doesn't like it.)

Edit: Clarified that population comment was about how some UK journalists treat the US like a country that doesn't have 11 professional players, it wasn't meant to imply that bigger population pools should always win.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2014, 16:45.

- Quboid

4259 Comments. 213 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo