Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4502 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
283. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 17:52 Quboid

Lorcin wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 15:53:
Quboid wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 13:21:

There was no line between my local star and my target on the Galaxy Map presumably because the stars were just out of range for my ship. Does that mean it is never jumpable even though I closed the distance?

To the best of my knowledge the nav tab doesn't show jumps completely out of range (or >20ly if you can jump that far). I doubt you truly closed the distance that much - even travelling at 1000c it would take nearly 9 hours to cover 1ly.

I don't remember the exact figures but the distance between the stars was about 7.6ly and my Sidewinder's max jump, after ditching half my cargo, was 7.4ly. I pointed her in the correct direction, hit full throttle and let it sit for 2 or 3 hours just tweaking the direction every so often while doing other things. I maxed out at 2001c but it took a long time to reach that speed.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

278. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 13:21 Quboid

Dacron wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 13:04:
Quboid wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 10:09:
I had an issue where I couldn't jump to a star and I've don't know why - the error was "Frame shift cancelled :Jump Exceeds drive fuel use limit of 0.60 tons". It was within range accounting for cargo weight (according to the Galaxy Map's range calculator on one of its side tabs) and I could "Lock and engage hyper-cruise" on my nav computer - it gave the same error but it did give the option as if it agreed that it should be valid.

My local star was just too far from my target star to jump but I jettisoned some cargo and super-cruised for a couple of hours until I was within range. Is it the distance between stars that matters?

Your weight made it the star too far away to jump, dumping weight lowered your total tons and increased your travel distance.

In your navigation menu (the left screen in cock pit) was the target red, or the neutral amber color the text is in? Red + exceeds mass in the in cockpit navigation menu = unreachable.

Sorbago has been bringing me pain, getting interdicted/attacked by real players much better than myself... mouser only has its limitations lol.

It wasn't red on the navigation menu once I had closed the distance and chucked a couple of tons of precious cargo out. I had to make a different jump to a star that was closer to my local star which had been in range the whole time.

Vall Forran wrote on Dec 21, 2014, 13:19:
I had to make my first route plot to a system 10 or so jumps away. I kind of freaked out because the line went from solid to dashed. If you can't make the jump, the lines should disappear. Turns out, that point is where you run out of fuel...I never noticed that before.

There was no line between my local star and my target on the Galaxy Map presumably because the stars were just out of range for my ship. Does that mean it is never jumpable even though I closed the distance?

- Quboid

273. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 21, 2014, 10:09 Quboid

Are you guys all around Sorbago? I'm quite far away, probably about 200 jumps.

I haven't done any faction stuff really, I don't really know what's going on in that regard. I've got some rep with the Federation because much of my trading has been around their territory but it's minimal.

I had an issue where I couldn't jump to a star and I've don't know why - the error was "Frame shift cancelled :Jump Exceeds drive fuel use limit of 0.60 tons". It was within range accounting for cargo weight (according to the Galaxy Map's range calculator on one of its side tabs) and I could "Lock and engage hyper-cruise" on my nav computer - it gave the same error but it did give the option as if it agreed that it should be valid.

My local star was just too far from my target star to jump but I jettisoned some cargo and super-cruised for a couple of hours until I was within range. Is it the distance between stars that matters?

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Dec 19, 2014, 15:21 Quboid

Julio wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 06:29:
Quboid wrote on Dec 19, 2014, 01:51:
You switched from this being legally enforced to something stores handle, why?

I was answering Beamer's claim that it was impossible to not have regional pricing. The point was that technically it's quite possible.

He didn't claim that not doing it is impossible, he said that making it illegal is impossible. You're moving the goal posts.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Dec 19, 2014, 01:51 Quboid

"Regional pricing should be illegal."
"I'm curious to see how it's truly impossible for the same price to be offered across all regions. Steam has the technical ability to do it,"

You switched from this being legally enforced to something stores handle, why?

If the price is too high for some regions, they go without it and piracy increases. Exactly. How does this help you? How does this make you fund their hobby less? At least if they pay a small price, they're helping fund the game a bit.

Oh, and "gaming isn't welfare"? Are you saying that publishers these days aren't doing a good enough job of putting the almighty dollar before everything else? Do you really think these companies, Valve or each game's publisher, do regional pricing for any reason other than to extract every possible bit of money from every possible corner of the globe? Do you think they charge us extra to make up for this supposed lost sales income? They don't, for the very simple reason that regardless of any other circumstances, they're obviously going to charge us whatever will make them the most money.

Forcing pricing on Valve is free market in the same way that telling Valve that they must list a particular game is freedom of expression - the opposite.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 2014, 01:58.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
26. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 18, 2014, 23:17 Quboid

NegaDeath wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 12:01:
What a wonderful precedent. All you need to shut something down now is to make a vague threat.

Alamo Drafthouse In Dallas/Fort Worth To Show 'Team America' Instead Of 'The Interview'

I like them. They have balls. I like balls.

They just got neutered.

https://deadline.com/2014/12/paramount-cancel-team-america-1201329597/

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
25. Re: Evening Safety Dance Dec 18, 2014, 23:09 Quboid

Cutter wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 00:33:
This is a man who is murdering 10's of 1000's of people for real. He's murdering people by the thousands! And this is somehow ok with you?

At what point does HorrorScope say or imply in any way that he's ok with this?

It seems pretty clear that HorrorScope is describing his perspective on reality, not endorsing North Korea's position. He specifically says this several times such as "not saying right or wrong".

HorrorScope, am I missing something?

- Quboid

211. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 18, 2014, 21:16 Quboid

Congratulations, Elite Dangerous!

Is that the post? It is a nice touch.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 18, 2014, 19:35 Quboid

Julio wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 18:58:
So far, I haven't seen definitive proof that sexual favors have not been exchanged for positive press.

How is that possible?

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale Begins
1. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Begins Dec 18, 2014, 13:45 Quboid

Finally! I've been waiting and waiting (to complain about how the sale isn't as good this year as previous years and how I already own all the best deals).

Actually I've already seen something to pick up. FSX, released today, is 80% off! I've never seen something so heavily discounted on release, and at 20 full price, it's not wildly overpriced.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Dec 18, 2014, 13:39 Quboid

Orogogus wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 12:50:
Quboid wrote on Dec 18, 2014, 11:25:
I spent a while wondering what 'c' on the HUD meant for speed. Just the lower case letter c, like we're supposed to know what that is. Like it's universally known ... universally. Universal. The universal constant, i.e. the speed of light! I'm sure it is explained somewhere but it was nice to actually figure out something actually a little bit sciencey, even if I should have twigged quicker.

They probably assumed everyone knew this. I think I learned it before 8th grade. Like, c in E=mc^2 is the speed of light in a vacuum, right?

Stuff I learned at that age was a millennium ago (well, it was the last millennium, same thing ), I can't remember it all! Hell, I barely remember it AT all. I should have recognised it quicker, the special theory of relativity formula was probably where I first encountered it.

I also got the closer measurements wrong, thinking Mm was Nm (nautical miles), and when I realised that was too small, thinking it was million miles before seeing a label in kilometres which caused me to get a clue. This was mostly because I was somewhat overwhelmed; too busy wondering about stuff like where I'm going and what the difference been normal, super-cruise, hyper-cruise, and cruise (which I had assumed from the control binding page was a 4th mode) to be able to register that the distances I had in mind didn't make sense.

Now that I actually know what units it's using, it's not too complicated. c = 300 Mm/s.

Normally complicated concepts are either polished to simplicity or fighting bad UI design is half the battle. This feels polished while maintaining scientific authenticity, even if (thankfully IMHO) it's not a DCS style simulator.

- Quboid

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Dec 18, 2014, 11:25 Quboid

If I had gone into Elite Dangerous expecting Skyrim in Space, I would have been sorely disappointed. I had been expecting a much more action packed game until the public alpha hit and word got around of how empty the universe is designed to be.

I realigned my expectations and I'm very happy with the game - it's the antithesis of Far Cry 4's "Every Second's A Story" philosophy and while FC4 is a brilliant game, it's nice to have such a change of pace.

I spent a while wondering what 'c' on the HUD meant for speed. Just the lower case letter c, like we're supposed to know what that is. Like it's universally known ... universally. Universal. The universal constant, i.e. the speed of light! I'm sure it is explained somewhere but it was nice to actually figure out something actually a little bit sciencey, even if I should have twigged quicker.

- Quboid

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week
6. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week Dec 17, 2014, 20:12 Quboid

Thanks, good to hear. I'd forgotten the stupid camera angle too.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week
4. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week Dec 17, 2014, 20:03 Quboid

How does the vehicle handling feel to anyone who hated GTA4's handling? Plenty of people seemed to like that so I'm worried that Rockstar have stuck with it.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns
113. Re: Valve Apologizes as Hatred Greenlight Campaign Returns Dec 17, 2014, 18:44 Quboid

Mordhaus wrote on Dec 17, 2014, 18:35:
Saying it should never be given a vote to begin with is ludicrous. That is a group of people applying their own morals to prevent any discourse on an issue, that is censorship.

Greenlight is not Valve making Steam into a democracy. Valve still control Steam and still have absolute say over what is on their store. Greenlight is just a way for Valve to let the gaming community find and market games for them. You're demanding that Valve's freedom of expression be quashed.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 17, 2014, 16:45 Quboid

Sony should just release The Interview (including the original, gorier scene) for free online as a middle finger to the GoP and Kim Jong-Un. I can't imagine this is financially feasible and they'd probably be too scared of retaliation but I can dream.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Dec 17, 2014, 12:55 Quboid

It can't have been much fun for them to suddenly face bankruptcy a few hours after trading normally. I would imagine that the mood at PremiumBrands4Less was pretty damn foul that evening.

It would have been a nice idea to get someone who wasn't overly emotional, if that was the reason, to read over their email before they sent it out.

- Quboid

100. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 20:27 Quboid

Lorcin wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 17:28:
Aero wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 17:03:
Quboid wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 16:45:
Is there any way to have the mouse always be used for looking around except when on a mouse-driven menu (i.e. when the pointer is visible)?

I believe there is an option for that under control options. I forget what it's called exactly and it might not be exactly what you're looking for. Frankly the frontend UI leaves something to be desired. I'd assumed that would get a bigger makeover by 1.0.

I think it's Headlock under Mode Switches about 2/3 of the way down the list. Mine's defaulted to Mouse 3 and set as a toggle.

That also changes my joystick's hat from lateral thrusters to look around, which is specifically what I don't want. Mouse-driven menus aside, I want the mouse to be my head while my joystick controls my ship.

This wouldn't be practical in combat for tracking an opponent so it's not a big problem but navigation would be a little easier, especially for a newbie who struggles to find his bay.

(I've just now discovered that when I plug my USB headset in, ED switches from my speakers automatically. Hurrah!)

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2014, 17:21.

- Quboid

81. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 16:45 Quboid

Is there any way to have the mouse always be used for looking around except when on a mouse-driven menu (i.e. when the pointer is visible)?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2014, 11:19 Quboid

I use Twitter to follow various people of interest - sports journalists and writers, comedians, breaking news feeds. It's quite good for this but it is essentially just read-only for me, I only occasionally tweet someone I follow to ask a specific question.

The most famous person is probably Dara O'Briain but he doesn't discuss gossip and keeps promotional stuff like mentioning tours to a reasonably low volume. I don't begrudge these people that, although I did stop following Conan O'Brien when he had some new book/tour/show out and plugged it too much for me.

- Quboid

4502 Comments. 226 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo