Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4827 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2015, 21:15 Quboid

USA! USA!! USA!!! have just won the football (soccer) Women's World Cup, congratulations to them.  

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
75. Re: Op Ed Jul 5, 2015, 20:33 Quboid

Kosumo wrote on Jul 5, 2015, 19:39:
Wow, This post on the forums sums up some big questons.

Some of the defenders on that thread sound like cult members:
Chris Roberts is too self conscious to do something that embarrasses himself and he's basically Star Citizen so no way he will let it fail so I'm not worried.

Don't worry folks, the Chairman won't let it fail.

At this rate they'll be offering virtual kool-aid, yours for a $250 donation.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Jul 4, 2015, 17:42 Quboid

Spaceherpes wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 17:29:
El Pit wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 16:18:
If Derek and Chris ever met in a room, the time space continuum would collapse under the weight of two egos and a black hole would open and suck in all the donations people could ever make to close it.

To be fair, though, Chris at least has delivered games worth playing. Derek doesn't know how to deliver a fun game. He keeps ranting about how technology isn't up to par with his vision. Devs all over the world have been creating imaginative, amazing and fun games within the tech limits that they have. Derek thinks he's a genius because he can't do that.

A bad workman blames his tools. Working within the limits of available technology is among the most basic requirements for any project and if your game sucks because the technology isn't available, you've made a game that sucks.

That said, it is an interesting article and it's good to see some semi-technical discussion. He tends to be worth listening to when he isn't talking about himself or his work. I agree with him that RSI can't deliver Star Citizen as they're promising and I'm not sure they can deliver a good game at all. It could get ugly if there's a case to be made that they intentionally or negligently mislead buyers with promises that they knew or should have known they couldn't fulfil.

- Quboid

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
11. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 4, 2015, 16:21 Quboid

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 15:28:
But technically Mojang is MS ;)

They really need to be reminded of this. A little indie dev can use a whimsical tone like this, a studio bought by an unpopular behemoth for billions can not. Like it or not guys, you're now the people who brought us Metro UI so no, you do not spoil us. You take us for granted, you try to force things that we don't want and you're doing it again *right here*!

I mean, I get why a new version of DirectX or something highly technical and integrated might need a new version of Windows, but not a game. Not Minecraft, it's not using DX12 unless someone specifically decided to to lock it to Windows 10.

- Quboid

News Comments > ELEX Announced
16. Re: ELEX Announced Jul 4, 2015, 13:41 Quboid

Sepharo wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 18:15:
Cutter is actually a bit right here. Historically "acronym" only referred to abbreviations by initials that were pronounceable... but that's been changing.

Via wiktionary:
1. An abbreviation formed by (usually initial) letters taken from a word or series of words, that is itself pronounced as a word, such as RAM, radar, or scuba; sometimes contrasted with initialism.
2. A pronounceable word formed from the beginnings (letter or syllable) of other words and thus representing the phrase so formed, e.g. Benelux = the countries Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg considered as a political or economic whole.
3. Any abbreviation so formed, regardless of pronunciation, such as TNT, BBC, IBM, or XML.

#3 was the only one I was familiar with.

Pronounceable as a word is different to "predicated on an actual word". I've never heard of the later. Definitions can change from country to country or even within countries. Summer starts on the 1st of June for me regardless of when Blue welcomes it in OotB, so it's technically possible that Cutter is right from his point of view. Technically.

- Quboid

News Comments > Independent Consolidation
3. Re: Independent Consolidation Jul 4, 2015, 11:53 Quboid

My Mad Catz Cyborg FLY5 joystick is excellent and I'd be sorry to seem them go, which presumably they will if Rock Band 4 isn't a hit. It's a Saitek design, unlike most of their peripherals. Maybe Saitek, if it exists at all, would be sold off and they could get back to making decent PC gear.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells > 20M
11. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 19:48 Quboid

Well done Mojang, 20 million copies is very impressive.

And well done to Microsoft, it's great that their dedication to PC gaming has led to this ... no?

- Quboid

News Comments > Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship
15. Re: Star Citizen Adds $400 Ship Jun 30, 2015, 19:31 Quboid

"Potential owners and operators can rest easy: the Starliner is a ship designed to pay for itself!"

"the Starliner is a ship designed to pay for itself!"

"pay for itself"

Are they saying that it will take so much tedious grinding to get a ship like this in-game that it is worth $400 to avoid having to play? That's the only meaning that I can think of, although it very probably didn't have an intended meaning.

How much can people even do with these ships now? When do they expect to actually be able to fully use these ships? How naively high are their expectations? This is just bonkers now.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
29. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 26, 2015, 18:35 Quboid

Verno wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 09:03:
The little kid in this case was 26 years old and had a long criminal history. He did it intentionally to two different helicopter pilots. Not sure what other intent there can be when you shine a high powered laser at a cockpit, it's not like (most) people don't know its dangerous.

I think the intention is to annoy the pilot and make the aircraft serve. Like an idiot dropping bricks from an overpass, I don't think that they even think of the possible consequences, and should an aircraft crash they would be as shocked as anyone. I.e. they are utter, utter morons. I don't think that shining a laser pointer at an aircraft is a deliberate attempt to cause a crash, and as the judge points out, that the laser-shining law exists suggests that US law thinks the same.

I think 14 years is harsh and although the aircraft-destruction law does appear to be technically applicable (the "reckless disregard" clause), this goes against the spirit of that law. However, given that there were 2 targets hit several times, this guy's criminal record and his age, I see no reason why he shouldn't face the maximum sentence of the lesser crime. Five years in prison is a hell of a long time, or 10 years if he gets 2 consecutive maximum sentences.

He certainly deserves to go away for quite some time. The probation and community service given to the man in New Zealand seems crazy.

- Quboid

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended
28. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended Jun 25, 2015, 20:05 Quboid

ViRGE wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 17:26:
Drazula wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 10:50:
Wow! Will they piss off PC gamers by never re-releasing it?!
No, of course they'll re-release it. There's tens of millions of dollars in sales at stake here, plus contractual relationships with NVIDIA and the like. Fixing it will be much cheaper than losing out on all of those sales.

Agreed, but what about games at the planning stage now? Will they look at those and think "we need to do a proper PC version" or "screw PC"? I'd prefer the former, but either beats shitting out unfit products.

- Quboid

News Comments > GMG Arkham Knight Refunds
28. Re: GMG Arkham Knight Refunds Jun 25, 2015, 19:55 Quboid

It remains to be seen how strict Valve will be with refunds, what they consider to be abuse, but anyone would has a pattern of buying, negatively reviewing and refunding games to punish publishers will surely find themselves refused refunds pretty darn quick.

I agree with you about refunds, Rattlehead, but you should check your attitude to other posters.

- Quboid

News Comments > Blade & Soul Business Model Outlined
1. Re: Blade & Soul Business Model Outlined Jun 23, 2015, 11:45 Quboid

cosmetics, convenience, and consumables not power, not gear, not permanent stat increases

So temporary increases are in? Sounds like these consumables will make it pay to win.

- Quboid

News Comments > Planet Coaster Beta Access for $75
3. Re: Planet Coaster Beta Access for $75 Jun 23, 2015, 10:16 Quboid

RollerCoaster Tycoon was an economic game which would appeal to plenty of the Elite crowd. They did the same thing with Elite Dangerous, limiting their beta to those who are exploitable have nostalgia and disposable income.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Project CARS 2 Announced
22. Re: Project CARS 2 Announced Jun 22, 2015, 21:44 Quboid

I don't trust small developers to be able to focus on more than one project properly. Even Keen Software (Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers), who supposedly brought on more staff for ME, I fear that there are key resources that will be split, harming both projects. How many coders and artists with experience on Space Engineers got moved over and replaced with novices, if they were really replaced at all?

I appreciate that Slightly Mad Studios have to plan for the future (and I'm sure PC2 has been in planning since well before PC1's release) but the more public their plans, the more focus they will have to spend on it and you don't get much more public than crowd funding. They sold over a million copies in a month, they really can't fund development (early development, before loads of artists are needed) for a year?

I wouldn't go for a typical sequel model; for a hardcore simulation (which I understand this is), 2.0 should be free and accompanied by some pricey content packs. Still, that's their prerogative. They do need to plan for more income in some manner so I think this is about 80% looks bad and 20% actually bad.

- Quboid

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 22, 2015, 07:12 Quboid

The pricing shenanigans were debunked, unless there have been others.

The biggest problem with this sale and so many others is that I already have such a backlog of games that 50% off something mildly interesting just isn't worth taking a punt on.

I'm also pretty fed up with Early Access tat. I take the attitude that what they offer now is what I'm buying and all the future promises mean nothing and by this criteria, there's not much worth getting.

- Quboid

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jun 20, 2015, 17:39 Quboid

HoSpanky wrote on Jun 20, 2015, 16:20:
So it's illegal for me to rip my CDs to MP3, or copy my mp3s TO a data cd, when my car has MP3 playback on the 6-disc changer?
I'm not gonna say every MP3 I have is legal, my collection is small compared to most. But the ones I own legally should be copyable to a disc for easier playback in my car.

Is the music industry really saying you have to play your music CDs as-is, instead of, oh, compiling every disc from one band onto a single one? Absurd. How do they think they'll catch people DOING this? Is the RIAA gonna go look through everyone's car?

They don't care about people doing this or about enforcing it, they just want to avoid any legal precedent that might suggest customers have ownership of the stuff that we buy. AFAIK they are still fighting giving digital content to family in your will, preferring that your license expires with your breath.

- Quboid

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video
11. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Gameplay Video Jun 18, 2015, 22:46 Quboid

It looks like Crysis, when they went to that tank mode I half expected to hear "maximum armour". I think they should have dumped Adam Jensen, he's OP and he looks and sounds ridiculous.  

- Quboid

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Trailer
8. Re: American Truck Simulator Trailer Jun 18, 2015, 08:30 Quboid

I think it's only a few south-west states, it will take a dozen expansions before we can do a proper cross-country haul.

Based on your in-game world position, the truck's radio could use real local radio stations. SCS could maintain a list of hundreds of radio stations that stream online and where they broadcast and make those available in-game.

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 17, 2015, 10:53 Quboid

I just do what Kate Upton tells me to do. Can't help it.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 17, 2015, 10:53 Quboid

He loved a good bandwagon does CliffyB, but the comments about piracy were just him shooting his mouth off nearly a decade ago at a time when piracy was hurting PC gaming. I suspect it is less of a problem now thanks to digital distribution.  

- Quboid

4827 Comments. 242 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo