Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Quboid

Real Name Quboid   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Quboid
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I can't make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://bcmedia.biz/
Signed On Jul 26, 2001, 01:42
Total Comments 4443 (Master)
User ID 10439

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Optimization Plans
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Optimization Plans Nov 19, 2014, 10:23 Quboid

we have detected a distinct discrepancy between what we observed in the pre-launch versus post-launch environment

That's the fanciest way of saying "we didn't test in enough detail" I've ever seen. Someone in PR has earned their money today!

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4
45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 22:46 Quboid

Loopy wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 22:40:
siapnar wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 13:02:
Creston wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 12:50:
Surprising that they're still going with the "skin an animal, and just pull a chunk of top sirloin out of it" routine.
I was also surprised by the hunk of meat you gain from "skinning" an animal.
A simple fur texture with a colour change would make a hell of a lot more sense.

Doesn't the hunk of meat actually serve a gameplay purpose this time? Like you can throw it at enemies to attract wild animals, kind of like the bugbait from Half-Life 2? Haven't played it yet, so just speculating based on trailers.

You get two items, the skin and 'bait'. Bait is a throwable item that conjures an animal to attack your enemies. I haven't met a hunter yet but they are presumably to counteract this at more difficult bases. It feels a bit like using a spell, the animal seems to just appear as if you had waved a wand.

- Quboid

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 20:14 Quboid

Thanks Rigs, good write-up.

I bought it and I've spent about 2 hours in it so far so I've seen little after the prologue. It feels like Far Cry 3.1, which has advantages and disadvantages but so far I'm happy enough with this aspect.

Performance is very poor, with a stutter that makes it feel like I'm getting about half the 70 FPS that Fraps reports, at 1080p with most settings at high (including God Rays, which are the beautiful sun rays filtered past hills and through trees). I have an Intel i7 3.5Ghz and two GeForce 660s. The fix for the stutter might be just a setting (I'll check Post Effects) and if that's sorted, it should run well with great graphics. But no 1440p for me I fear.

The fur effect is awful. It looks great when you and the animal are stationary and a few metres apart (i.e. pretty in screenshots) but in motion or close up it's terrible. The bait system as shown in the tutorial/prologue seems terrible, I hope there's more to that than conjuring an animal at will.

- Quboid

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 16:34 Quboid

The respawning was my biggest problem with FC2 too, I think FC3 hit the balance pretty well. There was technically infinitely respawning enemies but once you took control of that area of the map (the map had about 30 zones, each with an outpost control-point) then no patrols or guards would spawn in that zone. The respawn time was pretty good, I don't remember being bothered by an outpost that I had attacked but not taken being re-populated distractingly quickly.  

- Quboid

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer
44. Re: Far Cry 4 Season Pass Trailer Nov 18, 2014, 13:04 Quboid

There's a difference between slinging insults and accurately describing someone's actions. You're claiming to be guilty and "I don't feel like waiting" is entitlement distilled. Given that you are guilty and you are entitled, describing your behaviour as scummy isn't unreasonable.  

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: GTA 5 PC's expanded soundtrack revealedů Nov 18, 2014, 12:10 Quboid

I'm still appalled that they removed Runnin' Down A Dream from San Andreas. That's not a song, that's, like, a state of mind man.

I can understand no longer being able to sell copies of a game with some songs but removing the songs from existing customers is the sort of abuse that makes the whole idea of renting, not owning software so objectionable.

- Quboid

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 18, 2014, 12:05 Quboid

I'm waiting for the PC release of GTA V. Far Cry 4 is most interesting right now but I'm waiting to hear reports on how the PC version is and if there are microtransactions.

Cutter wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 10:36:
Transmission? You mean the tranny? Real men Old people say tranny.

FTFY.

- Quboid

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 10:22 Quboid

SpectralMeat wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 10:09:
nofb wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 10:06:
Quboid wrote on Nov 18, 2014, 10:04:
Are there microtransactions?
Not sure, but there are bugs and day-one patch, as usual
I wouldn't expect anything less from the AC Unity devs

I've just read that reviewers didn't get PC access until today. That's worrying, I'd like to know about how the PC version handles especially after the reaction to AC:Unity.

Thanks theyarecomingforyou for your feedback here and on the Nvidia drivers thread.

- Quboid

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Far Cry 4 Nov 18, 2014, 10:04 Quboid

Are there microtransactions?  

- Quboid

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
35. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 15, 2014, 15:34 Quboid

Edit: Oh WTF am I doing? SJW just means "I'm so closed minded, my mind's even closed to the idea that others may be open minded" and it's a waste of time engaging with that.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2014, 15:41.

- Quboid

31. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 15, 2014, 12:04 Quboid

You're describing ink on a page as "him", that's anthropomorphising.

Do you think that GamerGate is the answer to "censorship, institutional discouragement"? It's not, it's just the opposite extreme doing the same things. It saddens me that there are reasonable, sensible people who are standing under this banner and not realising that they're implicitly endorsing the sort of thing they think they're crusading against - and that their genuine concerns are being tainted by association.

Since you bring it up, it's not just a shirt. That no one had a word in his ear - even when he was about to be interviewed on camera - is institutional discouragement.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 15, 2014, 09:47 Quboid

personman145 wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 03:04:
Do you really call them trolls when most of them are right? Oprah Winfrey certified!

I've noticed the word "troll" pop up in non-tech circles over the last couple of years and it's nearly always used in a slightly jarring way. I don't think this or talk of prison sentences for trolls (in the UK) are technically using the word incorrectly because there's no real definition beyond being mean to someone online but these responses and the comments on social media that can get people into legal trouble are worlds apart.

- Quboid

29. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 15, 2014, 08:50 Quboid

Anthropomorphizing isn't a mistake, fiction is essentially pointless without it. Is Atticus Finch just ink on a page to you?

I don't see why games should be labelled if other media isn't - which does not mean that I think all media should be labelled, quite the opposite. This is what I thought Beamer and Verno were saying too.

This comment was edited on Nov 15, 2014, 09:04.

- Quboid

21. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 14, 2014, 17:43 Quboid

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 16:24:
Quboid wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 16:13:
Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 14:48:
I just was alluding to the habit of treating criticism of a woman's choice of dress as off-limits or an extremely fake-touchy issue normally... but for female characters in video games it's all bets are off.

The key is "a woman's choice". A female character in a video game designed predominantly by men for men isn't an actual woman's choice and is more open to accusations of objectification - which isn't to say that the accusations are true.

I objectify absolutely every character in every game I play. I assume all sane people do, since those characters are literally objects - not people.

And if that's abstracted away - if the response is 'well, okay, it's not a REAL person, but that sort of attire still indicates such and such about whoever chose it' - then there's an implicit real-world judgment about real-world female attire that comes with that abstraction.

I should have said sexually objectify. Although I think I get into most games enough to see the character beyond the object but that's beside the point.

I don't much care about this stuff to be honest. Nipple armour looks stupid and detracts from my enjoyment of a game but I don't have a problem with a lot of the supposedly sexist stuff. Sexuality, even in a character written by the other sex, is not inherently sexist. The main reason why I felt I should point out that these accusations aren't necessarily true is because I didn't want to imply that a game designed by men for men is automatically sexist - that assertion would be sexist.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Nov 14, 2014, 16:43 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 23:34:
Quboid wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 22:36:
In Civilization V, the United Nations wonder and diplomatic victory were really shallow and stood out as step back over Civ IV (although some would say they weren't alone). Sure enough it was revamped in DLC and it's really tough to believe that Civ V vanilla would have been so weak in this regard if they hadn't planned to rework it.

Then again, it probably wouldn't have been as deep as Brave New World's implementation, which goes well beyond Civ IV. It makes sense to not re-implement something like Civ IV's system only to gut it later but the basic product suffered for it. I hope they spent the resources that would have gone to the temporary diplomacy victory system on other things that have lasted.

I don't see why it's tough to believe. It's an entirely new game on an entirely new engine. As mentioned elsewhere, new games with new engines often miss on features. Usually it's another new game that adds the polish.

It was out of place. All the other victory conditions had depth and while the rest of the game wasn't perfect and didn't have every other feature from Civ IV, in my opinion it felt complete. (In fact I've used Civ V as an example of why simplified doesn't mean dumbed-down.) The diplomatic victory through the U.N. wonder felt rushed, like they did the bare minimum to check that off the feature list, and I was far from the only person to comment at the time that it looked like future DLC.

- Quboid

17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 14, 2014, 16:13 Quboid

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 14:48:
I just was alluding to the habit of treating criticism of a woman's choice of dress as off-limits or an extremely fake-touchy issue normally... but for female characters in video games it's all bets are off.

The key is "a woman's choice". A female character in a video game designed predominantly by men for men isn't an actual woman's choice and is more open to accusations of objectification - which isn't to say that the accusations are true.

- Quboid

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 13, 2014, 22:42 Quboid

From Strike Suit Zero's page:

Developed exclusively for Tegra K1 devices, such as NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet.

Google says the Nexus 9 uses this as well.

- Quboid

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Nov 13, 2014, 22:36 Quboid

In Civilization V, the United Nations wonder and diplomatic victory were really shallow and stood out as step back over Civ IV (although some would say they weren't alone). Sure enough it was revamped in DLC and it's really tough to believe that Civ V vanilla would have been so weak in this regard if they hadn't planned to rework it.

Then again, it probably wouldn't have been as deep as Brave New World's implementation, which goes well beyond Civ IV. It makes sense to not re-implement something like Civ IV's system only to gut it later but the basic product suffered for it. I hope they spent the resources that would have gone to the temporary diplomacy victory system on other things that have lasted.

- Quboid

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Announced (Not F2P)
6. Re: Just Cause 3 Announced (Not F2P) Nov 11, 2014, 20:06 Quboid

I hate that it's come to this but:
"It is not a Free To Play game. It does not feature in-game micro transactions."

Thank you!

That screenshot a few days ago had me worried because the "Buy More" button appeared to refer to buying currency. I'm glad this won't be the case.

Just Cause 2 wasn't quite as good as Far Cry 3 IMHO, but it did many of the same things first and surpassed FC3 in some ways.

- Quboid

News Comments > etc.
30. Re: etc. Nov 11, 2014, 18:39 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 14:24:
I'm done engaging in it.

I think that would be good for your sake, you seem totally fed up with this horrible nonsense. You're not alone.

Redmask are you joking?

This comment was edited on Nov 11, 2014, 18:50.

- Quboid

4443 Comments. 223 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo