Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jonathan Forster

Real Name Jonathan Forster   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname j.c.f.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Wannabe Yogi. Systems Programmer. Golfer. Flute player. Overclocker.
Homepage http://www.u.arizona.edu/~jforster
Signed On Jul 21, 2001, 17:50
Total Comments 20 (Suspect)
User ID 10408

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 j.c.f.

Recently we had the stomach bug that's been going around (at least on the left coast) and after our 1 YO daughter had it we took her to the pediatrician who told us that family units can reinfect themselves with this thing. Which was news to me, I thought once you had a bug that was it, you were immune to it. Otherwise, how did you get well in the first place? Maybe the thing mutates rapidly enough that it doesn't matter.  
-jonathan (j.c.f.)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2009, 10:53 j.c.f.

We always used to just splash water on the wet spot after the airdales were done. Means keeping a bucket of water around but it's got to be cheaper than anything someone else sells. Urea after all is a fertilizer...  
-jonathan (j.c.f.)

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: No subject Apr 20, 2008, 00:24 j.c.f.

Yeah, been a real long time since he missed a whole day. He or a family member's pretty much gotta be in hospital for that to happen.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 00:25.

-jonathan (j.c.f.)

1. winter bbq Oct 15, 2007, 11:34 j.c.f.

So you get one those gas outdoor heater things we have here in Arizona. Big can of gas with a seven or eight foot pole and burner with a reflector on top that radiates the heat downwards. Very popular in the outdoor eating areas restaurants have here.

http://www.gasoutdoorpatioheaters.com/propane_patio_heaters.htm

-jonathan (j.c.f.)

7. Tucson cicadas Jun 1, 2004, 11:34 j.c.f.

Not that they are in plague proportions here but I was riding around the Saguaro Monument East yesterday and man alive were they a hazard. It's one thing to have them fly into your clothing, quite another to be belting down the road at 35 mph and have them hit you. Everywhere else we've been riding hardly a cicada to be seen but out there, millions of them.  
-jonathan (j.c.f.)

22. My golfing buddy topped that... May 23, 2004, 19:35 j.c.f.

Although it's a rabbit and not a bird but it's Nature at it's dramatic best. So Merrill's walking down the drive of his house on the outskirts of Tucson this morning coming up on a rabbit that's like 12 feet from him and a bob cat explodes out of a clump of scrub, grabs the rabbit in single bite and then disappears back into the desert -- right in front of him. We're lucky if we see wild bob cats let alone one catch it's breakfast and let alone having it within 12 feet of us. Amazing. Serves him right though, he was playing terrible golf today...  
-jonathan (j.c.f.)

17. lazik Apr 9, 2004, 13:32 j.c.f.

A relative of mine had it done two years ago and she's happier than a clam. I'd want to know what happens as your eye sight starts degrading with age though.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 13:33.

-jonathan (j.c.f.)

24. techbits Aug 3, 2003, 21:14 j.c.f.

What? No techbits!  
-jonathan (j.c.f.)

4. Airedales Jan 26, 2002, 11:57 j.c.f.

Having had two Airedales through my childhood I'd be tempted to agree that their skulls can be on the formidable end of the spectrum. The second of said dogs was called Alice and upon her death it was discovered that she was nearly stone deaf from a congenital birth defect which explained the dogs trying life perfectly. I remember one perfect incident where the dog was standing next to the dining table -- no ordinary table this, you could seat 12 at it without all the leaves in it and was solid oak. Well someone called Alice and she does the usual swing the head radar trick -- except that the table leg in the way. CLUNK, my God, everybody in ear shot winced. Alice hardly even noticed. We always thought she was slow but of course if she was deaf she must've been one of the brightest dogs in creation to have managed to behave as well as she did with one crucial sense (to a dog anyway) severely impaired. The radar bit was because she only got the barest aural cue and had to scan visually to locate the source.

One of the funniest things that happened to the dog (which doesn't involve a physically solid skull so much as mentally solid one) was a during lunch one day and it was begging for a scrap of food, something we generally frowned upon. As we were building the house at the time there lots of scraps of pine lining boards lying around the place and Roger had put a 4" x 1/2" one in his pocket. Now Alice and food are a lightening combination to put it mildly and Roger gives Alice the wood instead of a piece of food. Well, SWOOOOP down goes the wood and the offended look Alice gave Roger was just pure betrayed innocence. Every since that day Alice first smelt _anything_ that was handed to her showing of course that the dog wasn't slow in the head at all, one trial learning and all.

-jonathan (j.c.f.)

News Comments > Deus Ex 2 Interview
6. SP vs. MP Jan 15, 2002, 22:14 j.c.f.

Way to go Warren, keep them single player games coming!  
-jonathan (j.c.f.)

News Comments > Tech Bits
2. 'Net Stuff Sep 27, 2001, 14:54 j.c.f.

Took 'em long enough to finally get around to timewise ad presentations. I suggested this eons ago.

This comment was edited on Sep 27, 14:55.

-jonathan (j.c.f.)

11. allergies Sep 25, 2001, 20:06 j.c.f.

Allergy drugs, combinations thereof, one two punch. Current cocktail for me is Allgra or Claratin with the cotico-steriod nasal spray Nasanex. Transforms me from miserable to normal human being.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 20:06.

-jonathan (j.c.f.)

9. dog Aug 17, 2001, 17:20 j.c.f.

I assure you, it's worse for the dog. At least you know what's happening, as far as the dog can tell the world just ended.

And BTW, I'd miss Saturday morning's update, it's a nice way to start the weekend reading Blue's before doing anything else.

-jonathan (j.c.f.)

3. auction Aug 14, 2001, 21:45 j.c.f.

Duuude, why don't _you_ auction the Titanic? Betcha somone or a number of someones that read this site would be glad to reimburse you. Stick it on eBay and post a link to it in the OotB...

-jonathan (j.c.f.)

10. golf Aug 2, 2001, 15:28 j.c.f.

You gave up golf? After actually learning to play it? I didn't think that was possible. I suppose it might just be difficult and expensive enough in NY for that to happen but it's still amazing.  
-jonathan (j.c.f.)

207. pop ups Jul 30, 2001, 16:29 j.c.f.

I don't see what the fuss against pop up ads is about. I love pop up ads because I can kill them automatically, gimme more of them Blue! My guess is power users who can figure out how to use Pop Up Killer aren't likely to be swayed by ads anyway although I gotta admit since the X10 stuff started appearing on the NY Times page I sure as heck know about it now -- but I'll never be buying one nor will I suddenly go mad and start participating in that online gaming schtick either. This integrated flash stuff OTOH, that sucks, I aint about to disable java or Flash just to kill some ads off.  
-jonathan (j.c.f.)

News Comments > TORN Torn?
34. BioWare Jul 26, 2001, 23:57 j.c.f.

So perhaps someone can enlighten my poor dark soul as to the relationship between BIS and BioWare? I mean if Interplay (rot their black souls) go down taking BIS with them is BioWare gonna go too?  
-jonathan (j.c.f.)

News Comments > TORN Torn?
5. not all bad Jul 24, 2001, 15:47 j.c.f.

Hey, maybe it's not all bad. The only reason Black Isle was developing Torn in the first place IIRC was that they weren't likely to get a license for any more D&D titles beyond what they already had in the works. Maybe they negotiated a license from whomever it was that bought Wizards and so they don't need Torn anymore.  
-jonathan (j.c.f.)

News Comments > Majestic Pilot Available
2. missed it Jul 24, 2001, 15:41 j.c.f.

You guys probably missed it because Majestic is outside the demographic that most of your readers fall into. It's not an FPS, nor an RTS or anything else, it's a game for non-gamers.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 15:43.

-jonathan (j.c.f.)

News Comments > Fruit of the loon
15. Re: DS9 - The Fallen Jul 21, 2001, 13:53 j.c.f.

I third DS9. Twas a pain having to play it three times to get the whole story but it was different enough each time to hold my interest through to the end.

-jonathan (j.c.f.)

20 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo