Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for James Holbrook

Real Name James Holbrook   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hyatus
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I'm me...duh. ~,^
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2001, 22:15
Total Comments 1069 (Pro)
User ID 10334

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek to End PC Exclusives
43. really Apr 30, 2008, 11:26 Hyatus

I have a low-to-medium computer and don't have the moolah to upgrade to the latest and greatest. I buy 3rd-gen parts to upgrade with(you know, the ones that are leaving the market so they are "on-sale" but were totally awesome 3 years ago).

When I hear about a game that won't run on the newest $3,000 PC at highest specs I stay away from that title. With a wife and kid these days my time and money is a lot more valuable than it was. I have to choose my games wisely. This is why I haven't touched this game.

As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone else who bought or even played this game. I'm not going to say that piracy isn't a problem, but I don't think this was the case here.

It just sounds like they're doing the typical blame-shifting that is commonplace with businesses these days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. heh Apr 30, 2008, 00:20 Hyatus

MATT DAAMUUN!!

News Comments > UFO: Alien Invasion Patch
1. fun Apr 29, 2008, 13:09 Hyatus

I tried this game out the other day. The tactical and base operations side is great. It's a good pseudo-X-Com sequel. The only serious complaint I've had is with the ship-to-ship combat side of things. It's very bland and, IMHO, very tough.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Cool! Apr 27, 2008, 16:56 Hyatus

Happy Anniversary Blues!

Setting a date is the hardest part.

News Comments > TF2 Update Next Week, No Portal 2 this Year
42. Re: Typical Valve Hubris Apr 27, 2008, 11:39 Hyatus

Valve, you can't replicate anything quickly. Just look at how many years it took you to replicate an old Quake mod, and even then you put it out with a paltry six maps, no single-player or offline functionality, and tons of bugs and other issues which you had to fix in umpteen different patches after the game's release.

Considering how early the TF guys were bought up, I somehow doubt they've been spending all of this time on TF2. I'm sure they were doing work on HL2 and so on.

do the opportunistic thing and cash in on it

Like buy up every successful mod team and start selling their products instead of continuing to give them out for free (CS, DOD, Gary's Mod, etc.)? Like put in-game advertising in your most popular product? No, you've never done anything opportunistic like that.

Why is this bad? It's the developers of those mods choices whether or not to sell out. I'd say it's been a pretty sound investment for Valve.

like we did after Half-Life was so successful and go off and try and say, 'Okay, that was revolutionary, so its successor has to be equally as revolutionary.

So where's the "revolutionary" sequel to Half-Life because Half-Life 2 certainly isn't it? Unless by revolutionary you mean the revolutionary way you have only offered the Half-Life sequels as tenuous subscriptions and piecemeal episodes to milk more money out of your customers idiots and control when, if, and how they can play the games for which they paid you.

Well, obviously your mileage may vary, but I enjoyed HL2. It was a great game that took awhile to get through(at least more than most FPS games take these days) and had more of an ending than HL1 did. I felt satisfied(at least, as satisfied as I am soiling my panties right now). The episodes have been short, and I agree with you on that. They're priced a bit high for what you get.

Regarding Portal, if your developers did more than eat their own shit, you'd realize that Portal isn't revolutionary. It's a short ride on a one-trick pony that is just an evolutionary step over previous games with similar portals such as the original Unreal and Prey. The only real difference over those previous games' portals is that Portal's are fired from a gun.

Well, I can't blame them for using buzz words. Sure it's not "revolutionary", but it is widely acclaimed by critics as one of the best experiences in gaming for 2007.

Valve, if you want to create something truely revolutionary, you're going to have to go raid talent from more mod teams and game development schools.

Seems to me that they're finding a lot of talent that knows how to generate fun AND income.

(Now cue the Valve sycophants. I'm sure they'll be here shortly as soon as they finish shitting in their panties over this.)

Well, sure I enjoy Valve's work. You apparently enjoy Epic's and that's just spiffy, especially considering all the crap that they've been spewing lately.

And yeah, I'm on the toilet so I thought I'd feed the troll. Nothing better to do.

News Comments > TF2 Update Next Week, No Portal 2 this Year
3. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2008, 15:11 Hyatus

I agree as far as a true sequel goes, but I wouldn't mind some kind of expansion pack ala Blue Shift.

Although, I guess the question is: Would a game where you're the companion cube really be interesting?

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: No subject Apr 23, 2008, 16:16 Hyatus

"Seems pointless, Games realistically don't have much to do with sex."

Yet. When it gets a little easier to simulate real life I guarantee there will be.

There's different ways to think about being gay. There's the obvious one, as a sexual preference. If it was all just about sex, that's one thing. But, there's also gay as a relationship. As you said, games don't have much to do with sex, but many games do feature relationships. And near all of those relationships are heterosexual.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: No subject Apr 23, 2008, 12:09 Hyatus

Well, to their credit, how often when playing online does some kid(usually, but not always) call something "gay"?

Websites like these are more like newspapers or magazines. On the occasion that I pick up a gaming magazine(once a year, anymore) it's filled with slutty pictures of gaming hussies. While I don't mind that, it could be off-putting to gays.

As far as his complaints go, I agree. Why not have more gay characters? There are many gays in the past and present. It's a false reality to assume there's no gay people in the future. There will be more, I assure you. Why should game developers not adapt now?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Epic: "Wii is a virus." Apr 21, 2008, 12:21 Hyatus

You know, I do partly agree with him in that my Wii does not get used much. The rest of it makes him sound a little...ermm....prissy?

I have a feeling he'd only play a game that looked pretty.

I will say, though, that Nintendo makes great games for the Wii. The third-party support sucks. There are a few great exceptions(looking at you, Resident Evil 4 / DBZ:Budokai / RaymanRR). But on the whole most of the games suck at utilizing the controllers even adequately. There are a million things those remotes can do but it seems that developers can't get a handle on them. Until they do it will be a system that will get dusted off for a week now and again throughout the year.

I still can't believe people pay $60 for PS3 and XBox360 games.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: eh? Apr 18, 2008, 15:42 Hyatus

Employer suckiness aside, if we're talking specifically about high-end processors I'd agree with you.

However, in the low to mid-range CPUs AMD still wins out in both price and performance.

And yeah, they really blew it with the first Phenom release.
Hopefully the new steppings fix that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. well... Apr 18, 2008, 12:48 Hyatus

Apparently they are using land that has already been cleared for their palm oil(if you believe the ABC baking company). So, what's the issue?

Besides, orangutans are less tastier than Thin Mints anyways. I know when I get the munchies that I much prefer the taste of yummy girl scout cookies(Samoa=best;Thin Mints=close to best) to monkey. YMMV

"Girl Scout: Is this made from real lemons?
Wednesday: Yes.
Girl Scout: I only like all-natural foods and beverages, organically grown, with no preservatives. Are you sure they're real lemons?
Pugsley: Yes.
Girl Scout: I'll tell you what. I'll buy a cup if you buy a box of my delicious Girl Scout cookies. Do we have a deal?
Wednesday: Are they made from real Girl Scouts?"
-The Addams Family

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. eh? Apr 18, 2008, 12:17 Hyatus

I don't understand why they should rot in hell.
They're generally more affordable than Intel processors and run just as well if not better.

If anything they need a better PR campaign.
My dad knows the words Intel and Pentium, but if you ask him who AMD is he just shrugs.

News Comments > Pirates of the Burning Seas Server Closures
10. easy Apr 16, 2008, 14:21 Hyatus

That's because being a real pirate is not as fun as the movies make it out to be.

News Comments > Infogrames to Adopt Atari Name?
18. Re: No subject Apr 14, 2008, 22:11 Hyatus

Wow...did you just graduate from Trolling school or are you still a student? I'm leaning towards the latter here.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. awwww Apr 6, 2008, 13:44 Hyatus

That's the kind of story I like to hear.

News Comments > Make Something Unreal
4. ugh Apr 3, 2008, 10:52 Hyatus

It'd be nice if Valve would do this instead.

News Comments > Crysis Patch Plans
1. heh Apr 2, 2008, 15:26 Hyatus

'"Hash Mismatch" errors (which were also responsible for the breakup of Cheech and Chong)'

Comedy gold right there!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sudden Strike 3: Arms for Victory
2. Re: Strike 3? Apr 1, 2008, 06:36 Hyatus

Sorta like communism.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 15:04 Hyatus

Yeah, you just have to do one thing.
Install XP.
You'll be happier.

News Comments > Gibson's Second Guitar Hero Suit
2. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 11:37 Hyatus

Yeah.
Unfortunately, on the teenager's side feeling cool is not the same as actually BEING cool.

Guitar hero may make a fake, virtual audience love you but, at the end of the day it's the real guitarists who get laid.

1069 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo