Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for James Holbrook

Real Name James Holbrook   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hyatus
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I'm me...duh. ~,^
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2001, 22:15
Total Comments 1084 (Pro)
User ID 10334

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Street Fighter X Tekken PC Announced
6. Re: Street Fighter X Tekken PC Announced Apr 12, 2011, 13:19 Hyatus

I enjoyed both of those games seperately but now, who cares?

Tekken vs Soul Calibur or Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat would make more sense.

Tekken is all about punching, kicking, combos and throws.
Street Fighter is punching, kicking, fireballs and other crazy special moves.

I predict this is how you win: Be Ryu or Ken, stand on the other side of the screen...Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball, Fireball...KO!

/and yes, I typed out each Fireball
//bored at work and bitter at the world, today

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Apr 8, 2011, 11:54 Hyatus

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 10:40:
So if we're looking for anything to blame, I'd start with the ESRB?

Exactly this. It's the same deal with the MPAA in the movie industry. Most companies are trying to trim adult ratings (R/NC17) off of their movies to achieve at least a PG-13. Parents will take their kids to see a PG-13 film, but R-rated movies still have a stigma attached to them, no matter whether the content was fairly judged or not. You try to go for the wider audience to bring in more money.

It's why I wait for a director's cut on some films. I don't know why games can't have the same deal. I'd say put a big "parental-controlled sex and violence" sticker on it and let it be adjustable, but kids are smarter than parents when it comes to technology and will eventually find a way to change it without the parents knowledge.

News Comments > DiRT 3 Hundred Dollars
1. Re: DiRT 3 Hundred Dollars Apr 7, 2011, 11:54 Hyatus

Yikes. They'd probably sell more if it was an official DiRT steering wheel and pedal set.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Apr 6, 2011, 12:06 Hyatus

Gamestop primarily sells games and Blockbuster primarily rented movies. These are two entirely different business models.

Blockbuster failed because their prices were high and there was a better competitor out there(Netflix).

There isn't a worthy competitor to Gamestop yet. I would rather wait a year and buy a game for $20 used than spend $10 or more on rentals.

As long as games are still sold at retail, Gamestop will still be in business. Sure, Steam might win the console crown someday, but we're not even close, yet.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Pink Apr 3, 2011, 11:25 Hyatus

kxmode wrote on Apr 1, 2011, 18:17:
For you! http://www.lazylaces.com/56Kmodem/

Nice. I should make that my text message sound and piss everyone off at work all day.

News Comments > Z Revival
11. Re: Z Revival Apr 1, 2011, 14:37 Hyatus

I remember playing Z: Steel Soldiers and enjoying it. That was quite some time ago.  

5. Re: Out of the Pink Apr 1, 2011, 13:56 Hyatus

I remember when internet April Fools gags started. They were funny then. We had to wait for an hour to upload and download a page...and we liked it! These kids these days with their instant connections, Z Sphere's and Paystation 8s! No respect for what we went through.

Hey, you! Get off of my BBS! Durned whippersnappers. Bet the little punk is using telnet. Get a 2400Baud modem, sonny.

/edit because a customer came up and I hit random buttons...

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2011, 14:33.

News Comments > Spider-Man: Edge of Time Announced
7. Re: Spider-Man: Edge of Time Announced Mar 31, 2011, 16:34 Hyatus

It's not that the gameplay wasn't fun. I thought it was. It's the bugs that made it unplayable at times. It's as if they're not polling the controllers at regular intervals or something. Key remapping was also buggy unless you were using a 360 controller.

x360ce doesn't work for the game and remapping the gamepad to keys via joy2key(or whatever it's called) still had the same bugs.
Even with the keyboard I must've hit the space button 35 times on the initial tutorial level to try and double jump before it actually did it.

News Comments > Spider-Man: Edge of Time Announced
1. Re: Spider-Man: Edge of Time Announced Mar 31, 2011, 11:58 Hyatus

The "official keepers of the franchise" need to get off their ass and fix the horrible PC port. It has the buggiest controls of any game I've played in recent years. Then I'll buy this.  

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Mar 23, 2011, 19:01 Hyatus

spindoctor wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 18:10:
Hyatus wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 17:43:
Sure, they all can manage a simultaneous release, but who's to say they aren't delaying people in the US from getting it while they wait for Australia to get on board?

And what if they are? Surely it's not an issue at all right? That's your argument isn't it?

Exactly. But, we aren't complaining that another country's delay is delaying our entertainment. We seem pretty alright with it.

Hyatus wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 17:43:
There is reasoning behind the delays. It would make no sense if there wasn't.

Feel free to let us know what that reasoning is. Because as of now, it does make no sense. That's the whole point of this 'petition'.
Mainly it's going to come from three sources, the B&M stores, support and other games. Traditional release dates pull people in on one day of the week(Tuesday here, Friday there, etc...). That means they get to boost hours for at most two days a week(the day before to stock, the day of to sell). That brings in people all on one day of the week to pick something up and maybe buy another new something that was released on the same day.

Now, there are people who can't wait to get a title. If the digital version is released before the retail one, then fewer people will go to the store which, as I said before, is going to affect the local economy. So, the stores bitch to make sure that everyone gets their product at once so as to remain "fair."

The support side of this is also somewhat important. Some publishers pay people to sit and answer phone calls about their product(i.e. troubleshooting). To keep their systems from being overrun which would result in people being pissed off at the company because of long hold times, they stagger releases so they only have to deal with one country at a time.

The "other games" arena is going to affect this all as well. In the US, let's say that Madden 2013 is going to release next Tuesday. Madden sells quite a few copies and the economy sucks, so publisher B decides to wait a week or two until people have money again to buy "Scapegoat Assassins". In the UK, however, Madden sells like ass so publisher B puts their game out there to get some cash in the meantime.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Mar 23, 2011, 17:43 Hyatus

spindoctor wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 16:15:
The logistics are not as complicated as you might think. Assassins Creed Brotherhood was available in Europe last week (around Thursday) while it only became available in North America this Tuesday. Do you think Ubisoft had to turn the world upside down to be able to do this? There are also games which manage simultaneous world wide releases too (look at Blizzard or the Call of Duty games).
Ubisoft couldn't even manage a PC release simultaneously with their other console releases. Sure, they all can manage a simultaneous release, but who's to say they aren't delaying people in the US from getting it while they wait for Australia to get on board? There is reasoning behind the delays. It would make no sense if there wasn't.

Times have changed, and all RPS is asking is that the industry change with them. I have no doubts that it will fail spectacularly, but you cannot argue that what they are asking for is wrong in this day and age.

I'm not arguing that asking for a simultaneous release is wrong, but that there's no reason anyone should be complaining about a week delay.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Mar 23, 2011, 14:58 Hyatus

spindoctor wrote on Mar 23, 2011, 12:28:
It seems like you have missed the point. Are you perchance a resident of North America?

Yup.

The issue is that there is no good reason left why some countries should have to wait for games that are complete and playable in other countries. Right now I am preloading Crysis 2 from Steam, and it will unlock for me on Friday. The exact same preload was decrypted for American customers on Tuesday. Why exactly is my 60$ purchase not worthy of a Tuesday unlock when my American brethren who paid the exact same amount are playing it now?

And why should the digital customers get theirs before the B&M store customers do? I mean, they got off their ass, wasted gas and went to support a local business. You just helped take away jobs in your own country to give jobs to Americans(thanks, btw).

Maybe in the past there was an argument for physical stock taking slightly longer to reach other parts of the world. However, that is no longer true. Publishers can get stock of their games to all countries at approximately the same time. And in either case, it is completely absurd when we talk about digital copies that are bought and downloaded through the internet.

Different countries have different historical media release dates. We could all probably get that stuff the day they go gold, but in the US we still have to wait until Tuesday. Also, if the games are boxed and published in the US, they have to be shipped overseas. You could yell at the publishers to do it all by air, but that's pretty expensive. I'm sure quite a few ship by boat(especially when we're talking about thousands and thousands of copies) so that would be the delay.

And I'll be perfectly honest. I loathe pre-sales. Why would you pay $60 for a game before it's released? These days the trend is to hit the release date over finalizing and polishing the product. I'll wait until the reviews come in because I value my $60(though, usually I wait until the game hits $40 or less and all the patches are out). If anything, you should be thanking the US for making sure what you're about to spend your money on isn't crap.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Mar 23, 2011, 12:02 Hyatus

[...] before then walking to Australia to eventually be released eight days after its US launch. We’ve had enough.

Oh noes! There is a delay of one week. The world will end!
We wait months all the time for Japanese games and consoles to come out here and few people bitch about that. What the dealio?

The only complaint I usually agree with is when different countries have different prices for games. And especially when those games are the same product(i.e. not translated with new voiceover work which can have different costs involved).

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Mar 17, 2011, 13:32 Hyatus

I disagree with both of them. They are trying to define what is and is not art. Instead they are really saying what is and is not excellence.

You don't have to be a master in your craft to create art(not that it doesn't help). Everything is art. You just might not be the target audience.

The masterful strokes of a great painting can mean quite a bit. But, in the right minds, so can a piece of brilliant and logical code.

Just because it's not great art doesn't mean it's not art.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Trailer, Campaign Length
11. Re: Batman: Arkham City Trailer, Campaign Length Mar 16, 2011, 14:32 Hyatus

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 10:32:
The breadcrumbs from the story were spread well enough that, other than the Killer Croc level, I was never thinking "this is getting boring".

Totally. It's like some producer came in and was like, "Games today need mazes!" And lo and behold a Killer Croc level was born. Or maybe some modeller made an awesome Croc and they were like, "That needs to be in the game! Quick! Make a level!"

/loves !!!s

News Comments > Violent Game Restriction Debate
16. Re: Violent Game Restriction Debate Mar 16, 2011, 13:47 Hyatus

Yikes.
Beware. Thar be trolls here.

9. M thru F: Nobody Notices Anyway Mar 15, 2011, 13:19 Hyatus

Funny, but fake:
Snopes

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 12:19 Hyatus

I agree with most of his points. Even action games like, say, God of War should have a "story so far" page that updates as you progress through the game. And while RPGs of late have taken to giving you journals to read through, they are usually quite a mess and the details are less story-oriented and seem like a to-do list. A to-do list is helpful for the actions you are doing but not for the reasoning behind them.

I do, however, disagree with the difficulty argument. Sure, it takes a little getting used to for 15 or so minutes to jump back into a game. But, you would be taking that time reading about everything you'd have to do anyways. I guess the solution here would be to have a tutorial level you can always access that explains the basics and then jump you right back into the game.

It's a hard balance these days for us 30-somethings and up to please everybody including ourselves with our limited time. But, we've still got money to buy games so please keep catering to us.

News Comments > Valve Announces Steam Guard
1. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:23 Hyatus

I wouldn't mind this as an optional feature, but I hope it's not a requirement. Also, I'm kind of curious what happens when a PC dies and you can no longer log into it.

I also use multiple computers in the house for Steam so I don't mind it informing me that a computer is trying to log into my Steam account, but it better still let me do it.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
24. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 2, 2011, 18:16 Hyatus

Verno wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 17:24:
A pirated copy means someone wanted the game, but didn't want to pay for it.

A fair point but an incorrect assumption to start off with, every download does not constitute someone playing the game. [...]

All piracy is casual now, the days of burning a copy for a buddy are behind us. The downloading is the casual piracy. DRM isn't necessary anymore. Zero day happens most of the time regardless and often times now it's due to the consoles, not the PC.[...]

Some people just collect games to collect games. I have boxes upon boxes of games I will probably never play from years past. I'm sure there are plenty of pirates who do the same thing except they were smart enough not to waste their money.

I'm tempted to wonder how big the problem would've been if developers hadn't started using CD protections, keys and the ilk(codewheels, etc...).

I believe that a happy market(one where the customer base enjoys giving companies money) will thrive over one where the customers pay money to be force-fed(obviously not literally) the drivel that comes out and are told to love it or GTFO. As a gamer, I won't stop buying games(even if I don't have time to play most of what I buy). But I've certainly stopped shelling out money for PC games on release day and definitely stopped buying from a retail store.

As a customer I feel entitled to be treated better by the people I give my money to. If I'm going to buy a box with your game, don't make me have to install crazy shit on my PC to play it. Don't make me have to wait for a patch that may never come to fix the game I just paid you for. And especially, don't require an internet connection to prove to you time and time again that I paid you for this experience. What a racket.

1084 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo