Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for James Holbrook

Real Name James Holbrook   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hyatus
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I'm me...duh. ~,^
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2001, 22:15
Total Comments 1071 (Pro)
User ID 10334

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Mar 17, 2011, 13:32 Hyatus

I disagree with both of them. They are trying to define what is and is not art. Instead they are really saying what is and is not excellence.

You don't have to be a master in your craft to create art(not that it doesn't help). Everything is art. You just might not be the target audience.

The masterful strokes of a great painting can mean quite a bit. But, in the right minds, so can a piece of brilliant and logical code.

Just because it's not great art doesn't mean it's not art.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Trailer, Campaign Length
11. Re: Batman: Arkham City Trailer, Campaign Length Mar 16, 2011, 14:32 Hyatus

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 10:32:
The breadcrumbs from the story were spread well enough that, other than the Killer Croc level, I was never thinking "this is getting boring".

Totally. It's like some producer came in and was like, "Games today need mazes!" And lo and behold a Killer Croc level was born. Or maybe some modeller made an awesome Croc and they were like, "That needs to be in the game! Quick! Make a level!"

/loves !!!s

News Comments > Violent Game Restriction Debate
16. Re: Violent Game Restriction Debate Mar 16, 2011, 13:47 Hyatus

Yikes.
Beware. Thar be trolls here.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. M thru F: Nobody Notices Anyway Mar 15, 2011, 13:19 Hyatus

Funny, but fake:
Snopes

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 12:19 Hyatus

I agree with most of his points. Even action games like, say, God of War should have a "story so far" page that updates as you progress through the game. And while RPGs of late have taken to giving you journals to read through, they are usually quite a mess and the details are less story-oriented and seem like a to-do list. A to-do list is helpful for the actions you are doing but not for the reasoning behind them.

I do, however, disagree with the difficulty argument. Sure, it takes a little getting used to for 15 or so minutes to jump back into a game. But, you would be taking that time reading about everything you'd have to do anyways. I guess the solution here would be to have a tutorial level you can always access that explains the basics and then jump you right back into the game.

It's a hard balance these days for us 30-somethings and up to please everybody including ourselves with our limited time. But, we've still got money to buy games so please keep catering to us.

News Comments > Valve Announces Steam Guard
1. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 13:23 Hyatus

I wouldn't mind this as an optional feature, but I hope it's not a requirement. Also, I'm kind of curious what happens when a PC dies and you can no longer log into it.

I also use multiple computers in the house for Steam so I don't mind it informing me that a computer is trying to log into my Steam account, but it better still let me do it.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
24. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 2, 2011, 18:16 Hyatus

Verno wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 17:24:
A pirated copy means someone wanted the game, but didn't want to pay for it.

A fair point but an incorrect assumption to start off with, every download does not constitute someone playing the game. [...]

All piracy is casual now, the days of burning a copy for a buddy are behind us. The downloading is the casual piracy. DRM isn't necessary anymore. Zero day happens most of the time regardless and often times now it's due to the consoles, not the PC.[...]

Some people just collect games to collect games. I have boxes upon boxes of games I will probably never play from years past. I'm sure there are plenty of pirates who do the same thing except they were smart enough not to waste their money.

I'm tempted to wonder how big the problem would've been if developers hadn't started using CD protections, keys and the ilk(codewheels, etc...).

I believe that a happy market(one where the customer base enjoys giving companies money) will thrive over one where the customers pay money to be force-fed(obviously not literally) the drivel that comes out and are told to love it or GTFO. As a gamer, I won't stop buying games(even if I don't have time to play most of what I buy). But I've certainly stopped shelling out money for PC games on release day and definitely stopped buying from a retail store.

As a customer I feel entitled to be treated better by the people I give my money to. If I'm going to buy a box with your game, don't make me have to install crazy shit on my PC to play it. Don't make me have to wait for a patch that may never come to fix the game I just paid you for. And especially, don't require an internet connection to prove to you time and time again that I paid you for this experience. What a racket.

News Comments > Serious Sam 3 Screenshots, Details
10. Re: Serious Sam 3 Screenshots, Details Feb 28, 2011, 12:24 Hyatus

I had more fun playing SS than I ever did playing Duke.

Looking more forward to this than DNF.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2011, 18:11 Hyatus

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 24, 2011, 16:58:
So you are one of those that think making the most used button in a GUI larger is retarded and not intuitive?

Intuitive, yes. Revolutionary? no.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 24, 2011, 13:50 Hyatus

Yes, Sony Home, please let me buy more useless crap with real money for my pointless digital avatar. Need more clothes!!!

I wish companies would start offering things that make my several hundred dollar purchase worth it instead of trying to get me to give them more money to make the experience worth the initial cost.

News Comments > Smell-O-Vision
16. Re: Smell-O-Vision Feb 21, 2011, 13:23 Hyatus

I think temperature adjustment would be much cooler(no pun intended). Being able to feel fireballs coming at you or trying to speed through an ice level when you have to be so careful.

I remember seeing the preview for Pirates 4 during Tron Legacy and seeing this giant burst of fire coming at me and how unrealistic it was that my face didn't get hot.

With smell-o-vision, I could see myself NOT buying certain games(TMNT is right out).

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2011, 14:56 Hyatus

Fox News declared the 1st amendment gave them the right to lie on tv and won on appeal in a Florida case early last year.

I'm fine with opposing sides airing the BS they call "news" on the air. Lord knows I don't agree with extremists on either end of the political spectrum, but that's just ridiculous.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2011, 11:48 Hyatus

People who know Fox News is full of liars with fake "news" already know it. Everyone else won't be clicking on this article.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Stupid moment Feb 16, 2011, 11:54 Hyatus

I've been coming here for over a decade and I just now got WalterEgo's handle. My head hurts after that facepalm.  

News Comments > A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Summer
3. Re: A Game of Thrones - Genesis This Summer Feb 16, 2011, 11:42 Hyatus

I think I'd rather them wait on this for a couple years and release it on Saturn instead.  

News Comments > Voltron Game License
4. Re: Voltron Game License Feb 15, 2011, 13:37 Hyatus

I preferred Robotech(minus Southern Cross), but Voltron was still cool.  

News Comments > Mirror's Edge 2 On Hold?
19. Re: Mirror's Edge 2 On Hold? Feb 14, 2011, 15:21 Hyatus

I thought the game was fun. I bought it cheap for the PS3(pretty sure that's the console I got it on...).

I didn't finish it, though. I could only play it during certain times. For a game that really tries to push the 'run away' mechanic from the 'gung-ho ballistics' one, I was hoping the content would be a little more kid-friendly(specifically random swearing). That means a no-go for me in front of the chillins'(who are at the 'repeat everything mommy and daddy say' age, not the 'I'm already using those words with my friends so fuck you' age).

News Comments > Paging Rogue Game Server Admins
6. Re: Paging Rogue Game Server Admins Feb 14, 2011, 15:02 Hyatus

I used to run a TF Quakeworld server without the boss's permission.

It was a t1 line for a dental multipractice that saw no real bandwidth usage. I turned it off during the day just in case they needed to move large xrays quickly, but I had it accessible two hours after close until two hours before opening(and on the weekends).

Sometimes I miss those days. Sometimes I regret them. Oh well. C'est la vie.

News Comments > Mirror's Edge 2 On Hold?
10. discussed at the time Feb 14, 2011, 12:12 Hyatus

The link on that original post is dead and archive.org couldn't find it.  

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Feb 10, 2011, 17:23 Hyatus

Actually, in second light, I think this guy is trying to get laid by some college feminazi.

Or maybe his sister wrote it?

1071 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo