Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for James Holbrook

Real Name James Holbrook   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hyatus
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description I'm me...duh. ~,^
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 14, 2001, 22:15
Total Comments 1077 (Pro)
User ID 10334

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
17. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2014, 17:24 Hyatus

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 16:42:
Why do I have to fight on behalf of others who consider me evil to begin with? [...] Jesus, man have you no sense of pride or dignity at all? Are you just a doormat everyone can walk all over? Grow a backbone.

It's because of pride we are supposed to do that. We are supposed to do the right thing. You don't get a backbone by letting inequalities slide, especially when you spend most of your time on the positive side of it. You get it by speaking out when surrounded by immoral and unethical opinion. It's a tough thing for most people to refuse the majority, especially when you are living there.

Yes, it is insulting to be lumped in with their ilk. But those people are echoes from the past of an ignorant majority whose choices still affect the present. It is ignorant to think that minorities in the US could make the same choices we make in a day and come out anywhere near our place on the ladder of life, even in the most liberal of cities. We, ourselves, may be a different echo from a smarter, more progressive and accepting white male culture. But, until everyone gets a fair shake, we have to accept that because of the way we look, whether we want it that way or not, we experience life a lot more positively.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2014, 16:34 Hyatus

Eirikrautha wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 15:51:
This is why those who advocate "change" never actually do anything to help achieve it. A convention for a marginalized group? This doesn't foster inclusiveness... because they don't WANT inclusiveness. The folks running these things want marginalized groups that are segregated and angry. They'll never actually do anything to bring about acceptance and harmony... there's no money in it...

Gamers used to be a marginalized group. We have only recently(10ish years) gained mainstream acceptance.

Changing the opinion of a large nation is not a switch you can flip. It takes time.

This convention may be geared towards the LGBT crowd, but I didn't read anywhere that says others can't come. If anything, this serves as a starting metric for gaming companies to stop ignoring their demographic. That's where the money is in this convention. I'm sure you can count on one hand the number of games that allow your character the freedom to be homosexual. You could probably even add in games that have homosexuals characters in them and still have a finger left over.

You may disagree that this does nothing to change anything, but in my eyes it advertises an underserved community that wants to be accepted by, not only other gamers, but also the companies they give their paychecks to.

13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2014, 16:16 Hyatus

Verno wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 15:25:
That's too regional though. Some places are horribly backward in both respects, others are very progressive. You would never get away with either around here. I love cons and have attended many in several countries, I've never encountered an unsafe (as they put it) environment for LGBT.

I would agree with you that the environments I've seen at cons(West coast only) have been docile and full of mostly nicer people. Perhaps this threat is more perceived than actual. If my gaming experiences consisted entirely of online console gaming I would expect a con to be filled with potty-mouthed high school racists.

Of course, I'm not gay and have never attended a con with any of my gay friends (sadly, none are gamers)...and they did manage to find 3,000+ people to attend so maybe there is some truth to it.

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2014, 15:39 Hyatus

LanikTnt wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 15:27:
This was making me wonder why is there an LGBT at all instead of just G. Are they not all at least part gay so why do they feel like they need to make such granular distinctions?

The Ts are a lot harder to define in that regard. Gay is a strange word in its many definitions, both past and present. In the acronym, though, it is used to describe homosexual males instead of all homosexuality.

Is it that they are so proud of their specific flavor or are they trying to distance themselves from the other kinds?

I would say it's meant to create an understanding that they are all in the same boat, critically speaking.

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2014, 15:09 Hyatus

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 10:45:
If we're white heterosexual males we're monsters oppressing everyone else and making their lives a living hell.

That's not the point. Just because you are not oppressing someone doesn't mean that it is not a problem in our white, heterosexual male community. We are at a point where, I believe, most of us will tell someone using the n-word or other racially-based insult to STFU. That is not (generally) true when someone uses insults based on sexual orientation.

To think that we have come to accept, as a majority, LGBT folks as natural and normal is quite false. We may not, individually, be the monsters, but we definitely turn a blind eye to the ones around us. Someday that will change for the better. Today is not that day.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 17, 2014, 10:39 Hyatus

harlock wrote on Sep 17, 2014, 09:48:
i still map right mouse button to jump in every game.. space for zoom/iron sights

my brain needs it... also its just easier to aim when you arent already pressing down on the mouse

I do the same thing with the right mouse button. However, I use the middle mouse button for zooming. My secondary fire(for so-inclined games) is mapped to the spacebar. For games where zoom is the secondary fire mode I still use the spacebar. I also can't play for crap without inverted y. This makes it a pain when I play single player games with other people because we have to remember to hit up the options and fix it. My wife even uses inverted y now to play.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 16:16 Hyatus

Verno wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 10:49:
Powerstone and Skies of Arcadia were my favs though there were several other good games on there. I hated the Dreamcast controller though.

I forgot about SoA. Yeah, the controllers are crap. I do like the VMU idea, but not its execution. The Gamecube's FF: Crystal Chronicles utilized the same idea but to a more comfortable degree. Of course, Nintendo's controllers have mostly been crap ever since they rocked it out with the SNES ones.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 10:32 Hyatus

I'm moving in the next few weeks and I just found and played my Dreamcast for a few hours with my oldest(7 year old) a couple of days ago. I wish the Powerstone series would have taken off. They were a blast to play.  

News Comments > GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming
12. Re: GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming Aug 27, 2014, 15:53 Hyatus

Verno wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 15:17:
Even just browsing the web store there is no category for them unless I'm just overlooking it.

They're tough to find. It's better to look for them by tag:
Movie

News Comments > GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming
4. Re: GOG.com Adds DRM-Free Movies; TV Coming Aug 27, 2014, 13:19 Hyatus

How did they beat Steam to the punch?
Steam has movies as well(granted, not DRM-free).

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: :o Jul 4, 2014, 23:17 Hyatus

harlock wrote on Jul 4, 2014, 21:15:
men are all like this.. "dope dee doh"

but women are all like this.. "doop dee doo"

amirite, folks?

Don't be lumping in my manly dee with a feminine dee. It just ain't right. Everyone knows women-folk were made to doop and doo, but women who dope and doh aren't fit for doepohing. Doepohing is a man's game.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 3, 2014, 16:53 Hyatus

Atomic wrote on Jul 3, 2014, 14:13:
Boy, his voice is annoying. I'm glad I stuck with it though, because I thought that was a very cogent argument.

This. There's something about his intonation that is just shy of nails on a chalkboard. Mixed with the weird cartoon voice, it makes it very hard to listen to.

News Comments > Trine Enchanted Edition Beta
7. Re: Trine Enchanted Edition Beta Jun 19, 2014, 14:58 Hyatus

Trine is super fun, but I wish they would focus on Trine 3, or some new DLC for Trine 2 instead of revamping the original.  

News Comments > Sniper Elite V2 Free Today
18. Re: Sniper Elite V2 Free Today Jun 5, 2014, 00:08 Hyatus

You don't have to install it immediately. Just click the install button. It won't automatically download.  

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2014, 16:30 Hyatus

I wonder how many people will read the title of that Matt Harding speech without watching it.  

News Comments > Disney Infinity 2.0 with Marvel Super Heroes This Fall
8. Re: Disney Infinity 2.0 with Marvel Super Heroes This Fall May 1, 2014, 02:04 Hyatus

They need to stop tying all of their franchises together. We get it. You own most everything we loved in our childhood.
They should just make a Marvel game where you can buy a toy from a huge selection of heroes and villains at the store and have them battle in-game. If droves of people can buy Skylanders, an IP with very little previous market presence, think of the masses buying up their favorite super-heroes to battle.

News Comments > Monaco's Final Chapter Released
9. Re: Monaco's Final Chapter Released Apr 6, 2014, 12:12 Hyatus

Grumpy Sod wrote on Apr 6, 2014, 05:09:
It's a free weekend, so it shows up as owned for everyone.

Gotcha. That seems kind of stupid. How does one know whether they already own it or not, then?

News Comments > Monaco's Final Chapter Released
6. Re: Monaco's Final Chapter Released Apr 5, 2014, 23:13 Hyatus

I just went to the Steam link to see if I wanted to buy it and found that I already did. Either I've switched dimensions or I spend far too much money on Steam. Or possibly, both.  

News Comments > Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights
43. Re: Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights Feb 23, 2014, 22:23 Hyatus

Task wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 15:59:
Inteceptor already had a playable version built in their internal development, which was admitted to be better looking and better playing than DNF even though Reloaded was unfinished.

And that's awesome. It's a great thing to note on your portfolio. However, it's not Interceptor's IP. Just because somebody creates something better doesn't mean they can do what they want with it. As I said, the bad part was leading Interceptor on with their limited license and then yanking it out later.

News Comments > Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights
12. Re: Gearbox Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Rights Feb 23, 2014, 12:15 Hyatus

Task wrote on Feb 23, 2014, 12:00:
First they squash the better Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded, just so they could squeeze sales out of the DKF they released KNOWING it would be SHITE, and they squash anything else by Interceptor.

The problem wasn't closing down the game, the problem was allowing Interceptor to start making it in the first place.

1077 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo