Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for BicycleRepairMan

Real Name BicycleRepairMan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BicycleRepairMan
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's all in a days work for BicycleRepairMan
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2001, 21:03
Total Comments 853 (Graduate)
User ID 10319

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Arrested Development Movie? Jul 18, 2006, 14:00 BicycleRepairMan

On one hand , and AD movie would kick ass, but I really just want MORE EPISODES DAMNIT!

If they ever did a movie, theyd have to appeal to all non-fans, so it'd end up re-telling the story or something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Two, TF2 Details
35. Re: Sweet Jul 15, 2006, 11:19 BicycleRepairMan

I wonder if we'll ever see the OTHER TF2 gameplay.

I dont think we will, that game was planned pre-CS and Rainbow six , battlefield and hundreds of other WW2 and war games, back then the realistic wargame approach was a fresh idea in the FPS genre, now it would only be one of hundreds of clones, and the unrealisticly different classes with sometimes superhuman abilities would seem wierd I think. So they'd either have to cut back on all the rocket-jumps and HW guys who swallow 200 bullets with no hassle, and in other words end up excactly at where Battlefield or counterstrike or DOD already is, or go with this more unrealistic approach. I think this will be more interesting.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 11:19.

News Comments > Portal Revealed - TF2 Lives(!)
51. Re: ... Jul 14, 2006, 09:17 BicycleRepairMan

It all sounds rather odd. The Portal thing sounds like a tech demo. TF2 sounds like a completely different cartoon fest. Ep2 sounds like more of the same (which, IMO is a good thing). It'll be getting my money, but it seems odd that they'd give away this much for $20 again, given DOD:S, CS:S, HL:S etc are all $10.

I know its pretty naive to believe it, but valve has promised that with digital delivery, they cut out the middle man(or rather middle men) so games can be sold cheaper, I think they may have been suprised themselves about how much they really sell over steam, so perhaps that it really works, guess they are eager to keep people from uninstalling steam, so they need fresh MP games to keep it going.

14. Re: Deadwood Jul 10, 2006, 12:43 BicycleRepairMan

Alright, I'm gonna start watching deadwood, I've only seen like 5 minutes of it so far, because the dumbasses who bought the show here decided the best time to send this was when only granny watches TV, late saturday night. So Its gonna be the torrent flavour for me then. I started watching Arrested Development because of Blue's many posts on it, and that was absolutely one of the best shows I've seen. Gonna start with Season 1, this better be good

2. Re: No subject Jun 24, 2006, 13:40 BicycleRepairMan

And watched Love boat reruns instead?

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode One Stats
16. Re: Direct X 9.5? Jun 23, 2006, 11:19 BicycleRepairMan

Isnt the newest 9.1c or something, they must mean that, since they have DX9 and DX9.5

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode One Stats
10. Re: Umm... Jun 23, 2006, 11:08 BicycleRepairMan

VALVE IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS STEAM

IGNORANCE IS SKILLZ

News Comments > EA To Acquire Mythic
9. Re: blah Jun 20, 2006, 18:23 BicycleRepairMan

Anotherone bites the dust.

News Comments > Red Orchestra Patch Plans
9. Re: Funny That Jun 18, 2006, 18:29 BicycleRepairMan

Like the BF series. Ever spend half or a whole clip into a guys back at close range just to have him turn around and off you in one shot?

Ironically one of the stated goals of RO was to eliminate this syndrome other games have due to their use of conefire.
So, in RO, the bullets go like real bullets, so this bug in RO is different, but unfortunatly the end result is the same ATM

They say they have fixed it in the patch tho:

Fixed: “Blank Firing” weapon bugs

12. re-enactments Jun 12, 2006, 12:39 BicycleRepairMan

Those re-enactments are so damn funny, and well made, love the monty python one ofcourse, very well done, and true to the original

31. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2006, 14:56 BicycleRepairMan

I think what would be fun for this video game commentary system is to include, much like DVD deleted scenes, some of the level/designs that they talked about but removed\changed for whatever reasons the play testers gave them.

uh.. thats exactly what the ep1 comments are, they talk alot about playtesting , how to get the player to notice important events (instead of looking at a tire while something major happens etc) they also explain how some levels are built gameplay first, art later and so on. Basically the comments are exactly how they should be

Also, God mode is NOT on in the comments, but sometimes when you use a comment node they take control of the camera, and even take you on a noclip trip to show you something.. you can press use to get out at any time tho, so its very non-intrusive really.

However I recommend playing without comments first, as sometimes (often) they reveal whats about to happen.. (if you use them that is..

EDIT, now that I re-read your post I think I understand what you meant, like including the early scrapped levels.. yeah, that would be interesting..

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 15:01.

28. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2006, 13:11 BicycleRepairMan

Bought and played through HL2:Ep1 this evening. Took about 4 hours playing at usual pace.

Did the same thing myself, I thought it was really good, infact so good, I put it on easy, turned on the comments and ran through the whole thing again! I really like the commentary, very informative and interesting, Its amazing the amount of work, playtesting and thought they put into the design of the game, valve really is unrivaled at game-design. Definatly excited about Ep2 now..

News Comments > The Ship to Steam Soon
5. Re: good luck to them Jun 8, 2006, 01:20 BicycleRepairMan

The lack of mods both for HL2 and BF2 has been a big let down.

Well, the thing about HL2 mods is that alot of the mod teams are trying to make a professional quality game, and that takes time, more time than it took back in the day with HL1, and even there CS or DOD certainly didnt ship from day one, and when they were released for HL1 they were both early stage , buggy beta versions..

There are 95 mods out now for HL2 and 1200(!!) in the making..
http://games.moddb.com/61/half-life-2/

36. Re: Pirate Bay Down?!?! May 31, 2006, 17:16 BicycleRepairMan

And you somehow think that this is going to make it easier for bands to noticed? The signal to noise ratio just went through the floor.

Perhaps not easier, but more fair.. Everyone would be on the same grounds, and one-hit-wonders and these constructed artists, designed to sell might dissappear (like those boybands with selected members etc.) Thats the kind of noise I'm talking about

The OSS engines are used for how many games? If they're that great, why would a company pay id or Epic such large sums of money to license their engine instead of using the OSS ones? They're simply not on the same level of quality or developer support.

Again, If piracy is to "take over" and nobody makes money making engines like that, the whole sitiuation would be different, If you didnt have proffesional engines or games, then perhaps more people would cooperate and create better OSS ones? it sure would be a very different industry, probably alot smaller than now, but perhaps with less.. fluff.. and less sequels..

33. Re: Pirate Bay Down?!?! May 31, 2006, 17:00 BicycleRepairMan

i would imagine simple economics would dictate that. Advertising costs money, beyond word of mouth, replacing your instruments, day to day expenses; all the stuff that goes with running a band.

Well,without the possiblity of huge record sales, no bands/labels would be spending millions advertising, and if everyone relied on word of mouth, playing live etc, then perhaps it would be a more fair market than now, I actually know people who are hard-working band members for like 10+ years, and income comes from touring and gigs, not record sales, as the record companies and retailers and studio expences take most of that money anyway..

With the digital age, Recording becomes cheaper, global distribution becomes free, and word of mouth can spread globally like wildfire. Artists needs to use this to their advantage.

29. Re: Pirate Bay Down?!?! May 31, 2006, 16:50 BicycleRepairMan

I don't imagine they make professional game engines in their full time. If that engine hadn't come out, would the mod exist?

The question would be: If piracy had complete control, and nobody ever bought games, would the engine exist? would anyone make 3D applications or games? would there be large open-source projects aiming to create the ultimate 3d game engine? Who knows..

As I said, I truly mean that people should get paid for their work, but donations etc would probably go a long way, perhaps you cant finance a global billion-dollar corporation or anything like that, but perhaps make a fair living. Things doesnt always get better by adding millions of $ into it, infact, I'd say on many points it gets worse, we all end up in sequels and franchise hell

27. Re: Pirate Bay Down?!?! May 31, 2006, 16:37 BicycleRepairMan

If you enjoy watching your friend read a book* then you need help and should legally be allowed to pirate anything to try and get a life!

*Unless you friend is a hot chick and it is a book that will make her touch herself.

I was talking about the DVD example he responded to,but it came out wrong I meant watching a dvd over at a friends house, without any wierd gay-related activities or fetishes of any kind, NotThatTheresAnythingWrongWithThat(tm).

This comment was edited on May 31, 16:38.

24. Re: Pirate Bay Down?!?! May 31, 2006, 16:09 BicycleRepairMan

It's the old book analogy -- if you have the book, he can't read it at the same time. If he photocopies the book, then that's no longer true.

With digital media, the cost of that photocopy is approximitely nothing.

So if I watch it at my friends house with him, its piracy then?

This comment was edited on May 31, 16:10.

23. Re: Pirate Bay Down?!?! May 31, 2006, 16:06 BicycleRepairMan

That's more a matter of choice than most people give credit. If your band decides not "to sell out" to the big corps and be successful on the local circuit, they have every right to do so. But if they want to get their music out to a wider audience, there's the route you have to take for that, too. You don't have to, but it's nice to have that backing.

Try seeing it the other way around. WHY do bands today need to "sell out"?

To break through all the noise of all the other bands already being pushed by major labels, thats why. In the future all that noise might not be there, instead musicians will build their band on actual fans, instead of people who bought it because of a TV-ad...

18. Re: Pirate Bay Down?!?! May 31, 2006, 15:19 BicycleRepairMan

Yes. It is. The old adage of 95% of everything is crap applies here -- except that it's closer to 99%. No Britney Spears, sure, but no Pink Floyd, or NIN, or whatever band you like too. They might still exist, but the odds of them ever getting beyond a purely local phenomenon is exceptionally low.

In these days, yes, but if they fail to break through, is it because they dont have a big corporation/money backing them, or is it because they are fighting against hundreds of other artists that do? Also, alot of bands have built their reputation not on deals with sony or whatever, but on playing concerts, word of mouth and infact pirating, such as all the kids copying of metallica or maiden cassettes back in the day.

The future of IT forces us to think differently about these things, I believe lots of future bands will break through globally using the net, so far they are few and far-between, but I believe its about to change

You liked Red Orchestra, but do you think it ever would've come about without Unreal Tournament? Someone had to put in the massive amount of development time (and money) to create something that others could use to create Red Orchestra and other games. How are they going to be able to do that if nobody pays for the game?

Once again, this is in-the-box thinking, While its true they had the engine, its also a fact that they made the mod in their spare time.. There are also opensource engines out there, id software even releases their sources, besides there are other ways of securing income, like subscriptions, donations or marketing or perhaps something I havent thought of yet... not always better than just paying for it, ofcourse..

In the future 5 year dev cycles may not be feasable, but I dont think gaming will die.. it'll just have to change, personally I'd much rather see projects that are a result of burning desire to create something, over projects with a burning desire to make money.

853 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo