Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for BicycleRepairMan

Real Name BicycleRepairMan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BicycleRepairMan
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description It's all in a days work for BicycleRepairMan
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 12, 2001, 21:03
Total Comments 853 (Graduate)
User ID 10319

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners
64. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 17, 2014, 06:34 BicycleRepairMan

Re: people flinging around phrases like "retarded" here, buying games that you never play. After becoming a dad, I find that I hardly ever have time to play games anymore, but I occationally buy a game if its on a deep discount. retarded? perhaps a bit. Also, I have bought some packs, like the GTA/take2 pack from some years ago, included all the GTA games that I've played before, pluss manhunt or whatever that I've never bothered with, but at the time, it was cheaper or as cheap as the single GTA game I was looking for, so why not? retarded? perhaps.. Also, I know that some people nowadays make a steamaccount for their kids and fill it with cheap and discounted games, its a cool idea, but it leaves some unplayed games..  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2014, 10:44 BicycleRepairMan

Re: the Pi thing, you dont need a shotgun, and you dont need to draw a quarter circle. it seems drawing some lines and tossing a few matches over it will give you just as accurate results with much less counting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJVivjuMfWA&noredirect=1  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2014, 10:05 BicycleRepairMan

Lol, that Firefox mobile OS looks almost identical to iOS 7, in fact, with the round icon it looks more iOS7 than iOS7 does, since one of iOS7 main changes was circlifying everything. (ie buttons and sliders etc changed from squares with rounded corners to circles.)  

News Comments > GameSpy Shutting Down Services
42. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 04:42 BicycleRepairMan

Creston wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 01:35:
Scott Kevill wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 21:37:
Developer of GameRanger here.

Hate seeing this happen. I'm trying to reach out to all affected developers and publishers to see if I can help. Not interested in making anything out of this, just don't want to see multiplayer games die.

Your service is awesome, Scott. Keep up the great work.

Why oh WHY did you not switch the order of "awesome" and "great" in that sentence???!1!11

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
40. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 18:43 BicycleRepairMan

To expand on my thoughts: if privacy isnt dead already, surely FB could end it right now by flicking a switch or two, and that threat is scary as hell. But it's not FB's fault per se, its because we've all signed up and willingly danced naked in their playground.  

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
38. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 28, 2014, 18:36 BicycleRepairMan

My big question, and it is a geniune question, why is facebook , as Notch put it, "creepy"? I mean, is it creepy because the people running it is creepy, because they are doing creepy stuff, or is it creepy simply because everyone their mom(literally) is using it? Seems to me, that while you could make an argument for the former, it is more the latter.

I think its helpful to look at MS and windows in this context, people have hated on MS since the 80s/90s for their monopoly on OS's , but now that we can see what a real monopoly can look like (iOS) is what MS did really so bad? Windows remained, for a long time a pretty open system..
My point is, when some company takes over an entire market like that, it serves well to remind ourselves what they COULD do with their awesome power, compared to what they're actually doing.

Just a thought.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2014, 18:45.

News Comments > Funcom Financials Fall
1. Re: Funcom Financials Fall Mar 5, 2014, 18:44 BicycleRepairMan

Funcom is a really sad story, these guys had every opportunity to make some great games after the success of the Longest Journey, but instead of using their momentum to solidify their position, they turned to overambitious shit like conan and secret world, projects that sought to challenge WoW and all the other MMOs out there. They were a small company, and should have gradually built themselves stronger before taking on international giants like blizzard. They could have made some cool smaller games.  

News Comments > Valve Reddit Interview
11. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 14:56 BicycleRepairMan

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 13:27:
Gabe is great, and I love Valve, but let's get real here.

Gabe stood on Alcatraz island at an AMD launch event saying that Half Life 2 was ready to ship, and that it would be bundled with all new AMD cards. 48 hours later he had to admit the game was still at least a year away, and people got cd-key cards instead of a game.

Given his track record, I can see why he keeps quiet about HL3. When he has something to show, we'll all know it.

Yeah, HL2s delay was a major screwup, not the delay itself, but the way it was handled. As I recall, they promised HL2 on something like "sept 30" in May before that september, and then, as the summer went by, they went into some kind of panic mode, and instead of TELLING people that "its not coming out in september" they kept silent, and when they were asked in like late august early september if the game was going to be delayed, they said stupid shit like "Not that we know of..". Most people can deal with and excuse delays, but we dont like being lied to.

I totally understand that they dont want to create that trap for themselves, but it really was a royal screwup that they not only walked into, but kept making worse.

I suppose they have decided not to say anything until the game is nearly complete this time around, but how do you define "nearly"? I suppose when you have the content and game up running and playable start-to-finish, its about halfway there or so...

News Comments > Valve Reddit Interview
5. Re: Valve Reddit Interview Mar 5, 2014, 12:21 BicycleRepairMan

ldonyo wrote on Mar 5, 2014, 09:43:
So, instead of announcing products and then being late, Valve just won't announce products at all so they can be on time?

Shh! its their business secret,dont spill the beans here, just steal it, and become the worlds biggest online digital game retailer.

News Comments > Minecraft Boasts 100M Registered Users
16. Re: Minecraft Boasts 100M Registered Users Feb 26, 2014, 04:57 BicycleRepairMan

I thought there was always a demo, I certainly tried it before buying, and this was long before it completely took off, I think it was "alpha" back then, and if you didnt buy it, there was no online component and less features, but if you purchased you were promised the full game at the then lower price.  

News Comments > Leaked Source 2 Screenshot?
25. Re: Leaked Source 2 Screenshot? Jan 28, 2014, 13:41 BicycleRepairMan

I'm calling fake on this. The "valve confidential" is just too obvious for this "leak" and so is that conveniently placed valve logo slide.. Also the shots dont look at all "gamey" imo, there is no hint that these are taken from a game (no hud, weapons, placeholders, items , signs of interactivity in the game world.) These look like renderings from some 3D/CAD program imo.

Imagine a valve employing presenting source2 with these slides to some insider, why would you show 5 dull shots of the same building, and no hint of interactivity, or dynamic lighting etc? let alone a remake from an old game? I dont buy this for one second.

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Jan 4, 2014, 05:00 BicycleRepairMan

The conclusion of the Bioshock review:

Play it if you have it and get it if you want it or think you may want it. Otherwise, you may want to look at some other titles.

Yeah, thats really helpful!

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $33 Million
56. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 05:47 BicycleRepairMan

Ryan Lange wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 05:39:
BicycleRepairMan wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 02:47:
Seriouslly $33 million? I just dont understand how this is possible, I'm sorry, but this means that if 2-3 million people contributed, (For comparison , thats how many people who are on steam at a time), thats $10-$15 each. Way, way more than people usually contribute to these kinds of things...

Perhaps you haven't been paying much attention, but they have sold several hundred ships for $1250 each. That adds up.

Ok, obviously lots of people invest in the game, I just find it a bit baffling tbh. I could see how people spend thousands if the game was out, and it was good.. even so, lets make it a 1000 1250 ships, thats still just 1.25 million of the 33...

48. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 03:22 BicycleRepairMan

Denthor wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 03:10:

This, I have two friends that absolutely loved wing commander growing up. They've bought quite a few ships i think one said he has spent near $500.

and @bicyclerepairman some people just don't do social media.

I'm completely aware of that, but if just 5-10% of the backers were active, or atleast had a facebook profile, thats 20 thousand people.. not 120 people..

47. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 03:17 BicycleRepairMan

Lol, i find that pretty unbelievable. Possible, maybe, but pretty unbelievable. Even with a mature and engaged audience.

Also, checked out facebook hype, Wing Commander has 6859 likes, this game (or at least a fan interest group/whatever) came up on "star citizen" search, about 122 likes. Facebook may not be their venue either, but come on, thats just ridiculously low.

44. Re: Star Citizen Passes $33 Million Nov 28, 2013, 02:47 BicycleRepairMan

Seriouslly $33 million? I just dont understand how this is possible, I'm sorry, but this means that if 2-3 million people contributed, (For comparison , thats how many people who are on steam at a time), thats $10-$15 each. Way, way more than people usually contribute to these kinds of things, and with Star citizen, I just cant see the hype anywhere (except at SCs websites etc.) Look at twitter, for instance, The developers official account (@robertspaceind) has 13000 followers. When searching for "star citizen" on twitter, I find a couple of headlines about how much they've raised, and one tweet from one of the devs. He has 121 followers. The first tweet that actually showed up was a tweet unrelated to the game, 3 hours ago..

Ok, so maybe twitter isnt their main marketing channel, but if millions of people INVESTED real money in this game, why wouldnt most of them follow the devs on twitter? Why wouldnt more tweeters talk about it?

This makes no sense. The internet should be buzzing with excitement for this game, and I just dont see it.

News Comments > FIFA Manager Series Cancelled
5. Re: FIFA Manager Series Cancelled Nov 25, 2013, 14:06 BicycleRepairMan

"Your passion and commitment to FIFA MANAGER is unrivalled"

Except of course by the only rival, which is so dominant that it outcompeted you completely. But aside from that, unrivalled I tell you!

Marketing talk is so funny sometimes.

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
69. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 21, 2013, 17:37 BicycleRepairMan

As I said, I just dont get the complaining here, just try to think for a moment: What do you want from valve? If your answer is "HL3!!!" Then, sure, I concur, I really want to see that myself, but I think its pretty obvious from the rumor mill etc, that it is being worked on. Look, we could have been at half-life 6 now probably, if all that valve did was focus on the next HL game all the time. That would be rather boring. Instead we have all these different projects like TF, CS, L4D, Portal and so on, And they run Steam. Steam really is really cool. And we are fortunate that a company like valve took on the task of creating THE digital delivery system for games. Sure, its not perfect, but go look at the steam homepage for one second: obscure indie titles with 0 marketing budgets are bannered side by side with stuff like COD Ghosts. How cool isnt that? Whats the realistic alternative to Steam? EAs Origin? Some bullshit stuff thats exclusive to one publisher? Indies no chance at all?

Anyway, valve does cool stuff, they experiment with both game creation and delivery, they are game changers in the market, they bring interesting projects in and create stuff based on it. And now their letting the BM team make money on a remake of their own classic, and even helping the game out. Sure, they'll make a few bucks on it themselves, but probably not even a noticable bump in their income stream.

How is any of this wrong? Is everything wrong, just because HL3 isnt out yet? and what happens when HL3 does come out, what will all you crybabies say then? By the time you're finished trashing that game, and how HL2 was so much better, I suppose its onward to the HL4 demands.

45. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 21, 2013, 02:36 BicycleRepairMan

Wesp5 wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 15:50:
After all Steam gets a share of everything sold, not only the BM guys, so for Valve it's just money for nothing!

Yeah, again, creating and maintaining the popularity of the largest digital delivery system ever clearly counts as "nothing", also creating the original game BM is inspired by...? Nothing.

I seriously dont understand how people in here think, the only people getting something for nothing here, is YOU. BM is completely free as it is. You can download it now. There will be a free version in the future as well, it says so right there in the forum post. Its a FREE GAME people. And it is truly FREE, there are no ads, product placement, micro transactions bloatware or other bullshit about it, its completely fucking FREE. You literally pay nothing and get a free game. Now they are also making a version you can buy. Now , I dont know how to best explain this, but YOU DONT ACTUALLY HAVE TO BUY THIS GAME. Just like any other game, you can just ignore it. Or buy it. Or know it exists, but not buy it, you see stuff like this is optional. You can also play the completely FREE version and if you think that sucks, then again, dont buy it. I just dont see how this is a bad deal??

19. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 13:24 BicycleRepairMan

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 10:21:
Thanks for nothing - literally - Valve.
Yeah, thanks nothing (except making the original game, it's sequel, TFC, TF2, L4D, DOTA 2, DoD Source, Portal, CS and all that other crap also except creating steam and giving indie devs a fair deal to promote their games next to all the big titles on the dominant DDS for games, and recognizing the BM teams hard work, by letting them make money off your IP instead of suing their asses.)

Yes valve thanks for nothing, because you dont release a new half-life game every year like the really cool companies like EA and activision, we could have had Halflife1,2,3, HL:modern warfare,HL:Modern Warfare2, HL:Black ops 1 and 2, and HL:Ghosts, including, naturally costly DLCs for every title, which would be basically the same game every year. Why aren't you a cool company that does this?

853 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo