Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for BubbleMage

Real Name BubbleMage   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BubbleMage
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Jun 30, 2001, 04:52
Total Comments 382 (Amateur)
User ID 10229

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2003, 10:07 BubbleMage

Tempest --> TEAPOT

First, ssh, remember what group of people you're asking to "keep things withing the realm of reality"... Lawyers, politicians, and bureaucrats. These are people who make a living by deliberately twisting reality to suit their own little worlds. So I'm afraid your plea falls on deaf ears.

However, the bills--even if passed--would merely create a classic example of an unenforceable law. If you don't know who the e-mail came from, let alone who it's going to, how can you possibly apprehend the perpetrator of this hideously vile and evil act? Answer: You Can't.

Just because the Educated Idiots in a congressional seat decide to make something illegal doesn't mean it will curtail the activity. It's also illegal to perform oral sex on your spouse in many states. I'm guessing that's not stopping them. Just a guess, mind...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Horizons Preview
3. Re: It's the world, stupid... Mar 20, 2003, 14:17 BubbleMage

Thank you for validating my subject heading, aguita.

1. It's the world, stupid... Mar 20, 2003, 09:45 BubbleMage

A slowly spinning model of an anvil hovers above the blacksmith shop, for example. That way, you won't have to waste a lot of time (and breath) asking where certain shops and vendors are. "We believe that any information that is relevant to playing the game, the user needs that in order to have a fun and enjoyable experience."

I completely, categorically, and unreservedly disagree with this viewpoint. What made EQ the most magical experience I've ever had behind a computer screen, (and at my age, magic moments are getting fewer and further between), was the necessity of exploring and discovering a vast new world-- without the aid of fancy spinney-bits on top of every building in the world. Discovery and exploration made my first six months of EQ absolute gamer's heaven. It rekindled memories of the wonder I experienced upon first playing Akalabeth on my old Apple II+, years agone. The seemingly endless world, the enormous number of objects, the wonder of seeing the huge auctions in Faymarket and EC, the challenge of trying to get across Antonica at level 5--while being almost completely ignorant of the hazards involved--were what made the game unique and special. I'm wise enough to realize that particular experience will never come again, no matter how hard other developers try to clone it. But the people at Artifact seemed to have missed the point entirely.

10. Re: Dollar Coins Mar 10, 2003, 11:04 BubbleMage

The United States would save TONS of money if they quit printing one dollar bills and went to only the dollar coins. Printing dollar bills is much more expensive than minting dollar coins.

Well, I won't buy that for a dollar. Provide something more than anecdotal proof of this assertion, please; it sounds highly dubious.

4. Money... Mar 10, 2003, 09:41 BubbleMage

Try carrying around a pocketful of dollar coins instead of a walletful of bills. There's a reason paper currency was invented. If you really want more of them, just go to your local post office and use one of the automated stamp dispensing machines. It'll kick back your change in all the sackies you could ever want. You'll tire of the novelty quickly when you feel like you're walking at an angle.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: lol Mar 5, 2003, 14:32 BubbleMage

Too bad M$ didn't spend as much time and effort actually getting it onto the street as they did distributing press copies.

News Comments > Buka's Free Wildlife Game
16. One born every minute... Feb 20, 2003, 16:09 BubbleMage

you are given certain monetary funds and you may spend them on fire-fighting, forest reserves and...

...padding the Foundation director's offshore accounts, so she can buy a new multi-million dollar vacation home in the Bahamas.

News Comments > Knight Rider Gold
8. Re: Not likely Feb 20, 2003, 16:02 BubbleMage

I bet David made sure his ugly mug was plastered somewhere in the game

Almost certainly. Ol' Tossinoff is his own biggest fan. No doubt his avatar will come complete with cheesy haircut and whiny voice-overs. As long as it doesn't sing... [shudder]

News Comments > Freelancer Preview
5. Re: Interesting Feb 11, 2003, 18:19 BubbleMage

I also must agree that the level system stands a good chance of porking the whole single player game. Fortunately, I'm thinking there *might* be a work around, just from inductive logic. In this preview, the writer heavily hinted that the level restriction based upon mission accomplishment was only in place in the single player campaign. If that's so, I'll probably just play the game in "single player multiplayer" mode by starting a server on the local machine, similar to the way you could create your own party in the original Baldur's Gate if you started the game multiplayer instead of single. I could really care less about the plotline, anyway; I had a blast in Elite and Privateer just being a trader and finding those juicy routes. I remember saving all my money in Privateer just so I could get the big-ass frieghter-type vessel, foregoing the others.

If that doesn't work, I'm quite sure someone will come out with a level hack. It's almost inevitable that when the developer does something really, really boneheaded, the community fixes it; the latest example I'm aware of would be the camera hack in NWN. Good stuff, that; made the game much more enjoyable. And now Bioware is going to make it "official" in the expansion. I call this the "tunnel design syndrome". I'm a designer myself, (industrial, not software), and I can attest to the fact that you sometimes get so attached to a particular design approach, you lose sight of the fact that there could be a better way to do it, even when someone slaps you in the face with the evidence. It takes constant vigilance and self-examination to avoid the syndrome. Some are more successful at it than others, obviously.

News Comments > Freelancer Preview
3. Re: Interesting Feb 11, 2003, 16:40 BubbleMage

Well, Pete... George Bernard Shaw once said that "England and America are two countries separated by a common language."

But can he spell "apparently" properly?

3. Do tell... Feb 10, 2003, 12:12 BubbleMage

...the show is fairly bizarre...

THINK?!

Dog show people are right up there with people that attend UFO conventions on the ScaryFreakyWeird Scale(tm).

News Comments > Freelancer Sneak Preview Sign-ups
4. Re: Hmmm Jan 24, 2003, 14:54 BubbleMage

Bingo, Creston.

If they were really only interested in hyping the game, they'd distribute this "sneak preview" online as a demo. This little "contest" is just more crass exploitation from M$. It's one fo the few things they do really well.

News Comments > Freedom Force & GURPS Websites
1. SJGames Jan 22, 2003, 13:41 BubbleMage

GURPS. Bah. Try "Car Wars", Jackson.

Steve Jackson seems to have a decidedly unhealthy fascination with his decidedly mediocre RPG system. As a lifelong gamer, I learned many decades ago that anything with the words "generic" or "universal" in it pretty much sucks swampwater through a straw. GURPS has both; you do the math.

About 18 months ago, I wrote a letter to Steve Jackson, asking why he hasn't released a modern computerized version of his most popular (and longest-lived) franchise, Car Wars. I even recommended several pre-existing engines that were readily adaptable to making a turn-based or simultaneous-movement version. The reply I got was distinctly stand-offish, and just a bit snotty. I must conclude from the content of the letter--and the fact that this GURPS Online silliness is apparently moving ahead--that SJGames doesn't give a damn about a modern Car Wars computer game. Perhaps they got a bad taste in their mouth from AutoDuel, but that's their own damned fault for trying to take one of the best turned-based tactical wargames ever created and turn it into some silly real-time arcade scroller.

Any of you who've ever had the opportunity to play Car Wars with a group of good players, (I started with the "baggie" version back in '81), know what a well conceived, quick-playing, and versatile system it is; those who haven't, go give it a try. It's certainly a damned-sight better than anything under the GURPS line-up. Besides, "GURPS" always sounded to me a bit like the noise a drowning man would make.

[/rant]

5. Musical lanes Dec 31, 2002, 11:28 BubbleMage

Yeah, New Year's Eve is definitely amateur night on the streets. I try to stay indoors and away from windows.

If you really want to keep on your toes in traffic, ride a motorcycle. It won't take but about a year and you'll have developed near-psychic abilities when it comes to reading traffic. Most good motorcyclists can tell what cagers are going to do before they even know themselves. Kinda like having the SA of a fighter pilot, but without missiles with which to destroy those less aware of the situation. (I'm working on fitting AIM-9M's to the bike, but it's damnably difficult to find a good place to weld on hardpoints... Perhaps a sidecar with a minigun mount?).

News Comments > Vivendi Raided
22. Elementary... Dec 12, 2002, 16:54 BubbleMage

Vivendi corrupt?! *gasp!* Noooo...say it ain't so!

What a blinding bit of insight on the part of the Froggie police. Obviously, Inspector Clouseau was leading the investigation.

News Comments > Turbine & Middle Earth Online?
7. Cavort-cavort-cavort Dec 5, 2002, 16:06 BubbleMage

...or just get drunk and sing

And this is different from my real, mundane existence... how, exactly? OK, I don't sing-- but I do throw things at the karaoke "singers" in my favorite watering hole. I believe that counts as revelry, yes?

News Comments > Consolidation
1. No subject Nov 20, 2002, 09:32 BubbleMage

Ok, everyone who's the least bit surprised by such shennigans from MS, please raise your hand...

Anyone? Buehler? Anyone?

3. A small clarification... Nov 14, 2002, 17:30 BubbleMage

Gamespot writes in regards to Everquest:

...communities of friends who chat, travel, and adventure together online.

For the proper social imagery, one should think of "A Clockwork Orange" here, rather than "Friends".

News Comments > Unreal II Article Corrections
12. Not exactly news... Nov 5, 2002, 17:24 BubbleMage

"UGO Has Low Credibility Factor"

Next: "Water Is Wet"

News Comments > Hearts of Iron Gold
1. Wha...? Oct 30, 2002, 13:33 BubbleMage

"It covers the entire period of the War from 1936 to 1948..."

1948? Wow, revisionism is really getting out of hand.

382 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo