Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom Landry

Real Name Tom Landry   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hump
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Stats: chain smoking, coffee swilling, overweight middle-aged male single dad with one 13 year old in residence.
Likes: games, cute Japanese chicks, milk duds, red meat, fresh bread, reading sci-fi, money, a good cigar now and
Homepage http://tjlandry.blogspot.com/
Signed On Jun 17, 2001, 15:14
Total Comments 7387 (Guru)
User ID 10137

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > On Microsoft Games Studio's PC Recommitment
59. Re: On Microsoft Games Studio's PC Recommitment Sep 24, 2010, 23:53 Hump

Prez wrote on Sep 24, 2010, 23:36:
Hump wrote on Sep 24, 2010, 20:55:
as much as I love my PC and prefer all my games to be played on it, the writing is on the wall. No one uses a desktop anymore and the laptops graphics chips are, for the most part, woefully underpowered for AAA games. Most people under 20 use Android/Iphone cellphones to meet their needs.

Yes, theres still a good sized market that is worth pursuing (ie; STEAM sales) but how long is it going to last? This isn't about losing ground to consoles, its just the way computing is headed.

Completely disagree. PC will always play second fiddle to consoles, but as a game platform it's going nowhere. How many registered users are on Steam? How many copies did Starcraft 2 sell?

Not saying its dead per-se but if you take the long view, there aren't any new fans of the platform (for gaming) coming up. If manufacturers can start making the cheapest laptops capable of running AAA games even at low graphical settings then things will get better. As it is now, 10-15 yr old kids aren't going out and buying desktops. Thats really all I'm saying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

58. removed Sep 24, 2010, 23:48 Hump

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 25, 2010, 11:37.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

52. Re: On Microsoft Games Studio's PC Recommitment Sep 24, 2010, 20:55 Hump

as much as I love my PC and prefer all my games to be played on it, the writing is on the wall. No one uses a desktop anymore and the laptops graphics chips are, for the most part, woefully underpowered for AAA games. Most people under 20 use Android/Iphone cellphones to meet their needs.

Yes, theres still a good sized market that is worth pursuing (ie; STEAM sales) but how long is it going to last? This isn't about losing ground to consoles, its just the way computing is headed.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > 38 Studios Move Begins
1. Re: 38 Studios Move Begins Sep 23, 2010, 21:06 Hump

This has been a contentious subject here. They're promising 450 jobs by the end of 2012 which is really stretching it. The state had to float a $75 million bond with the state taking most of the risk and Schilling not. kurt easily has that kind of cash. If he has so much faith in the project, let HIM take the risk instead of RI taxpayers.

I'm all for gaming development coming here but not like this.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Sep 21, 2010, 17:24 Hump

whats "dangerous" is taking Thompson with any level of seriousness. the media has pretty much pulled back from using him as the defacto go-to counterpoint guy regarding videogames. He turned himself into a caricature and is now trying to seem relevant again. its not going to happen.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Digital PC Games Sales Pass Boxed Sales
2. Re: Digital PC Games Sales Pass Boxed Sales Sep 20, 2010, 18:39 Hump

makes no difference anymore anyhow since most boxed PC games will be using applications like STEAM so you can't transfer ownership anymore. Why bother going to the store?  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Fallout MMOG Tease
19. Re: Fallout MMOG Tease Sep 19, 2010, 19:50 Hump

WyldKat wrote on Sep 19, 2010, 19:35:
Please Interplay, just give it up already?

The original team that made Fallout 1 and 2 great are LONG GONE, not to mention Interplay simply does not have the funds to make a proper Fallout MMO.

Interplay had their shot with Van Buren, but their fumbling of the IP isn't Bethesdas fault. Bethesda took a great but dead franchise and resurrected it, as well as turned it from a "cult hit" to a "mega hit".

Cult hits don't sustain MMORPGs, we all found that out with APB.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. it could either end up a steaming pile like "Fallen Earth" or it might actually be decent.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Fallout MMOG Tease
13. Re: Fallout MMOG Tease Sep 19, 2010, 18:14 Hump

I got this thing in my email. i had no idea what the fuck it was until i read the legal fine print at the bottom. Interesting.....weird.....*shrug*  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Gameplay Trailer
1. Re: BioShock Infinite Gameplay Trailer Sep 18, 2010, 19:57 Hump

Don't bother. It intermixes the original trailer with maybe 5 seconds of new footage. Much like G4, Gametrailers is turning into a place where corporate game PR types can dump a load into the waiting mouths of 10-16 yr olds with parents that have disposable income. Fast, brain numbing editing in lieu of anything substantial.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies
19. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 16, 2010, 22:27 Hump

I Have no doubt that one day Kotick will be killed by an irate customer  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Open Letter from Erin Wood
1. Re: Open Letter from Erin Wood Sep 15, 2010, 19:01 Hump

fucking. heartbreaking.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Iron Grip: Marauders Beta Continues
1. Re: Iron Grip: Marauders Beta Continues Sep 14, 2010, 18:15 Hump

oh, I thought this was going to be similar to the Iron Grip game using an FPS experience.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Section 8: Prejudice Announcement
1. Re: Section 8: Prejudice Announcement Sep 13, 2010, 20:54 Hump

The multiplayer of the original was a really well thought out game. unfortunately the weapons weren't much fun to use and the game was really focused on teamplay which most people aren't willing to devote their time to.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
1. Re: Sunday Consolidation Sep 12, 2010, 18:57 Hump

Looks like Halo : Reach is generally considered the best in the series now. It certainly looks amazing.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > DNF Interview
4. Re: DNF Interview Sep 10, 2010, 21:34 Hump

I wasn't aware that he even sold the site. I thought he still had a controlling interest. Too bad, he should've gotten a better lawyer who could've worked it so he was still attached to the site and drawing income.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Need for Speed World Goes Free
17. Re: Need for Speed World Goes Free Sep 9, 2010, 19:24 Hump

how long has this been out?  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > FireFall Revealed
6. Re: FireFall Revealed Sep 7, 2010, 21:40 Hump

theres a 10 minute video out. The game looks really good but if you're expecting a new Tribes you'll be disappointed. Essentially it looks like Borderlands with a cleaner sci-fi manga style with a small helping of RPG upgrading and persistance. In a way it looks like what Global Agenda should've been.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > On DNF IP Ownership
1. Re: On DNF IP Ownership Sep 6, 2010, 12:46 Hump

I remember reading the footnote in your post but it's implication simply didn't register (NPI).

re BIA: I thought Hells Highway pretty much tanked at retail but I guess I was wrong if they plan on continuing the IP.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > On the DNF Revival
33. Re: On the DNF Revival Sep 6, 2010, 03:00 Hump

One other bit of info not included here is that Gearbox now owns the rights to Duke. Period.

http://kotaku.com/5630726/gearbox-software-now-owns-duke-nukems-future

If Pitchford was able to pull THAT off without draining the company's working capital he deserves to be an egotistical prick.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > On the DNF Revival
25. Re: On the DNF Revival Sep 5, 2010, 22:34 Hump

"Gearge Broussards comment on two weapons in DNF on Shacknews forums-

Yeah, blame us for it if you want. It may change in the future and I don't know what will happen with it, but it was us. I stand by it too, as you cannot discount designing games for a modern world and part of that world is consoles where the bulk of the sales can be. And on those consoles you have a controller. We tried for a long time to support lots of guns but we simply could not find a nice way to map it to a controller, despite trying 4-5 designs. We gave it enough time and decided to stop swimming against the current and adopt what was basically the "standard".

It's not 1996 anymore."

Even Derek Smart was able to figure out a way to map a HUGE amount of commands for a space sim onto the 360 controller. What it comes down to is Fat Man doesn't think console gamers are smart enough to to adapt to what is essentially a "Alt + Key" system. Discounting even that scenario most gamers on PC use a mouse wheel to scroll between weapons. On the gamepad you could apply the "mousewheel" system to the D-Pad.

- Jim Goad

7387 Comments. 370 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo