Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom Landry

Real Name Tom Landry   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hump
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Stats: chain smoking, coffee swilling, overweight middle-aged male single dad with one 13 year old in residence.
Likes: games, cute Japanese chicks, milk duds, red meat, fresh bread, reading sci-fi, money, a good cigar now and
Homepage http://tjlandry.blogspot.com/
Signed On Jun 17, 2001, 15:14
Total Comments 7374 (Guru)
User ID 10137

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Closed Beta Tomorrow
9. Re: Tribes Ascend Closed Beta Tomorrow Nov 4, 2011, 07:25 Hump

Captain, what about the feel overall? Did they nail that at least? I'm reading that they got the feel of the original down quite well and that it just needs some tweaks.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Closed Beta Tomorrow
2. Re: Tribes Ascend Closed Beta Tomorrow Nov 3, 2011, 19:15 Hump

Captain, wheres your thoughts on the beta? The NDA is off now, correct?  

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

News Comments > More Origin Spyware Accusations
55. Re: More Origin Spyware Accusations Nov 2, 2011, 16:30 Hump

They got caught so instead of taking it out, they change their TOS so they can claim they aren't hiding anything.

You have to be a special kind of worm to work in management.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Art & Details
38. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 23:46 Hump

Prez wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 19:47:
Mechwarrior the computer games were, Mechwarrior the PnP RPG wasn't and what they're doing here sounds like it'd fit into that just fine.

You're absolutely right. But let's be honest; which type of game did you think the majority of us Computer Game Players were hoping for and (based on the awesome trailer released a while back) expecting?

Prez, they KNEW what we wanted but they just couldn't come up with the funding. Given the option of not making anything or making something that we may very well enjoy, I'll take the latter. A Battletech MMOG doesn't exactly sound horrible to me.

But backpeddling to the dumbed down level of many current 'power-upping' 'leveling' kiddie games is not the direction it should be going.

"Backpedaling"? THEY COULDN'T GET THE FUCKING 8 FIGURE BUDGET THEY NEEDED to make the game that the trailer promised. How is that their fault? Further, MP mechwarrior is hardly "dumbed down". MP has always been the hallmark of the series. If I cant have a SP/MP game then I'd be happy with just MP. I can't grasp how some of you dense motherfuckers don't understand this. We're getting SOMETHING. To even try and predict how the game will play out is moronic. You speculators simply don't know. Period.

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2011, 23:53.

- Jim Goad

26. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 18:12 Hump

Spaced wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 17:31:
ok, those of you talking crap about the role playing and leveling aspect of the game

Who said anything about role playing? There's role playing? LOL No, I'm talking about the 'leveling', 'points' (lol, that one still cracks me up), and unlocks (oooo 'power-ups'... insert theme from Super Mario Brothers here...lol). Anything with 'Mechwarrior' in the name that has these things is a joke. I grew out of those dumbed down gameplay objectives long ago and expect far more realism, immersion, control, tactical options, and -selectable earned upgrades- in the games I play these days.

The last thing I want in a Mechwarrior game is some stupid 'you've unlocked the super-uber-mega-cannon-mark-78' message with sparkling confetti and a tada sound effect.

The entire game started as a pen and paper game. I spent many an hour playing battle-tech and mehcwarrior while growing up. we had a group of about 10 or so of us that met regularly.

Perhaps the time is coming to go back to the pen and paper game if this is the kind of video game we're going to get in the series. Don't get me wrong, I'll still give it a fair try. But if I get some sort of 'you've reached level 12!' message or unlocking 'power-ups', I'll probably be done with it and move on hoping for a better future for the series.

Mechwarrior is about a deeper simulation approach, tactical decision making, dropship location selection (who to fight and where), earned selective upgrading and configuring, and as you know, much more. A kiddie power-up leveling MMO approach it should never be. It would be a severely wasted direction for the series to go.

Reading your last paragraph its pretty obvious you didn't read anything at the site or, if you did, you didn't comprehend what was written. Go back, read the blog, read Russ Bullocks interview at PCGamer.com. The game will be closer to the core PnP rules than any version thats come before. "Salvaging" has always been part of the IP so this isn't merely PG trying to lift CoD's MP leveling/rewards system. Lastly, I've been part of said community for years. One of the wishes most often voiced by the fanbase was for a BT/MW MMOG. We'll finally see that.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2011, 18:03 Hump

Meanwhile, Stephen dressed as a highly stressed out comment board moderator/and editor-in-chief. Tiny wax bottles of candy-water meant to resemble bottles of hard alcohol a-la Jack Daniels were found scattered around Stephens desk. Curiously, said bottles were plastic and even had a real tax stamp and alcohol smell to them.

- Jim Goad

22. Re: MechWarrior Online Art & Details Nov 1, 2011, 17:12 Hump

space captain wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 16:35:
elefunk wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 16:28:
It's weird that people disappointed by the MechWarrior announcement (a full-blown mech *SIM*) would prefer to get excited about Hawken (a self-professed FPS-in-mechs).

Hawken looks awesome, but it's so ridiculously far from being anything close to MechWarrior that it's not even worth comparing them.

not sure if you are talking about me since you tried to play it safe by generalizing, but im excited about hawken, and im not dissapointed about the MW announcement - personally i think its pretty amusing how bent out of shape people get about their precious, precious video games

id rather wait till this MW game is available for testing or has been previewed by non-devs, before i start trying to form a definite opinion

its like the new tribes game.. cant talk about that for a few more days, but .. we'll talk then

Lets put it this way, are you still playing the beta?

- Jim Goad

News Comments > MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012
14. Re: MechWarrior 5 (MechWarrior Online?) in Summer 2012 Oct 31, 2011, 19:04 Hump

after reading the Dev Blog about what happened after the 2009 video I am stunned.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/10/2-dev-blog-0

Evidently the buzz generated was overwhelming but all of the big 5 publishers said "No" because MS didn't want to allow a PS3 port which basically scuttled any shot the game had in its original form.

While I'm disappointed we won't get a true single player campaign, the game they are proposing sounds close to what Multiplayer Battletech 3025 was and then some. Thats a win IMO. At least the spectre of having to dumb down the gameplay for console kids will be absent.

Given what Pirhana went through, I think they are going the route most fans of the IP would like, a solid MP experience with the bonus of it being in a persistent online universe.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Postal III on Steam
9. Re: Postal III on Steam Oct 29, 2011, 19:50 Hump

These nitwits are still in business?

Is it sad that I am more looking forward to all the threads from the butthurt ninnies complaining about the offensive content than the actual game itself?

I know its pretty sad that their PR method is to raise the ire of special interest groups by purposely including "outrageous" content rather than making a good game and letting that speak for itself.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2011, 19:56.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Leaked?
19. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Leaked? Oct 29, 2011, 19:47 Hump

so instead of earning 5 billion it'll earn 4.99 billion. Big whoop. MP requires a key to play on official servers which is what most are looking forwards to anyhow.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology
82. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 23:56 Hump

Bhruic wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 23:42:
So...just throw free speech right out the window then?

Having the right to do something doesn't mean you should do something.

I commend you for at least not pulling out that old tired standby "One doesn't have the right to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater".

Having said that, yes, you are right. The problem is that we are becoming a nation of oversensitive babies who feel they have a right NOT to be insulted. That is something the constitution does NOT allow for, for good reason. One only needs to look at the Muslim response to the cartoon of Muhommaed to understand why such protections are in place.

In the end, Blizzard and GLAAD aren't govt. supported organizations so they have every right to do what they're doing. Its just troubling that we've gotten to the point where one can't even express humor or opinion without the threat of losing ones livelihood.

- Jim Goad

77. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 21:58 Hump

Yaogun wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 21:47:
Hump wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 19:54:
Its unfortunate that people have to grovel and beg forgiveness lest they get taken down by organizations like GLAAD. They will force an apology (Tracey Morgan is a good example) whether the apology is sincere or not. In Morgans case he had to do an apology tour, do events and generally say what the GLAAD puppetmasters told him to say.

Tracey Morgan did not HAVE to go on an apology tour. Nobody HAS to grovel and beg forgiveness. Morhaime did not HAVE to write a letter of apology. In both cases they decided is was professionally expedient to do so.

Morgan could have continued to say the things he said. Would he have lost popularity, and been booted from NBC? Very likely, but it's not some GLAAD-led liberal thought policing politically correct illuminati conspiracy like so many in this thread make it out to be.

Read your quote and think about it. It would have been career SUICIDE if he DIDN'T do what was asked of him by GLAAD. Period. Was a gun put to his head? No. But thats about as complimentary as one can get about his situation. He had a burgeoning career, a family to support, etc. Its fucking extortion and you damn well know it. GLAAD and the rest of the Gay community know very well that Morgan wasn't being "hateful" or any other tag you wish to put on it. The media is SO frightened of appearing homophobic, racist that they will pander to special interest groups who look for a badge of victimization in order to legitimize their own agendas. It's disgusting and its dishonest.

- Jim Goad

74. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 21:40 Hump

Question to all those saying that gays need to get a thicker skin, etc...

What was your position on the whole Michael Richards (Kramer) racist tirade? That blacks needed to get a thicker skin?

Richards did that from a place of anger and frustration. He was wrong. Unfortunately the black "community" doesn't differentiate between what Richards did and some other comedian or pundit using the "N" word when discussing its effects or using it in a comedic, non-hateful manner. Surely you are intelligent enough to tell the difference?

Context is EVERYTHING. Unfortunately it now seems more important that a special interest or minority group use such occasions as a way to continue to push agendas which usually involve them continuing to claim victimhood.

- Jim Goad

70. Re: Blizzard's BlizzCon Apology Oct 28, 2011, 19:54 Hump

Its unfortunate that people have to grovel and beg forgiveness lest they get taken down by organizations like GLAAD. They will force an apology (Tracey Morgan is a good example) whether the apology is sincere or not. In Morgans case he had to do an apology tour, do events and generally say what the GLAAD puppetmasters told him to say.

Edgy humor is something most don't understand and it seems to get singled out. Whats more concerning is forcing people (and kids) into a narrow model of indoctrination than allow them to be offensive, make mistakes, learn etc.

Sexism, racism, homophobia has been present since the dawn of man. These groups assume it can all be changed in a single generation. It just isn't going to happen.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Take On Helicopters Takes Off
11. Re: Take On Helicopters Takes Off Oct 28, 2011, 05:31 Hump

I hate Tom already. WTF did he ever do for me?  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted?
12. Re: Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted? Oct 24, 2011, 16:36 Hump

ugh, just put a nail in the coffin of this IP. EA has butchered it with every attempt since the guys who formed Infinity Ward left.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2011, 17:53 Hump

Just reading those names makes me pine for the old days when the biggest issue of the day were the Quake vs. Unreal flame wars. Now the "community" consists of spoiled little suburban whitebread console players who don't know the joys of player made content and can't wait to fork over their parents cash for "official downloadable content".  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > MechWarrior 5 This Decade
16. Re: MechWarrior 5 This Decade Oct 18, 2011, 16:43 Hump

This is probably the best bet because the Mechwarrior license was acquired by former Microprose employees.

Are you saying that Piranha is composed of former Microprose guys? If so this is great news.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
15. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 15, 2011, 16:06 Hump

the texture "pop-in" is horrific. I'm somewhat surprised that Carmack allowed the game to ship with that level of visual issues.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Battlefield 3 MP Map Details
5. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 13, 2011, 22:06 Hump

for PC theres plenty of 3rd party software to use that will allow joystick use in any game.

360-wise theres several companies that make joysticks for the platform.

- Jim Goad

7374 Comments. 369 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo