Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom Landry

Real Name Tom Landry   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hump
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Stats: chain smoking, coffee swilling, overweight middle-aged male single dad with one 13 year old in residence.
Likes: games, cute Japanese chicks, milk duds, red meat, fresh bread, reading sci-fi, money, a good cigar now and
Homepage http://tjlandry.blogspot.com/
Signed On Jun 17, 2001, 15:14
Total Comments 7359 (Guru)
User ID 10137

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted?
12. Re: Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted? Oct 24, 2011, 16:36 Hump

ugh, just put a nail in the coffin of this IP. EA has butchered it with every attempt since the guys who formed Infinity Ward left.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2011, 17:53 Hump

Just reading those names makes me pine for the old days when the biggest issue of the day were the Quake vs. Unreal flame wars. Now the "community" consists of spoiled little suburban whitebread console players who don't know the joys of player made content and can't wait to fork over their parents cash for "official downloadable content".  

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

News Comments > MechWarrior 5 This Decade
16. Re: MechWarrior 5 This Decade Oct 18, 2011, 16:43 Hump

This is probably the best bet because the Mechwarrior license was acquired by former Microprose employees.

Are you saying that Piranha is composed of former Microprose guys? If so this is great news.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming
15. Re: RAGE PC Texture Fix Coming Oct 15, 2011, 16:06 Hump

the texture "pop-in" is horrific. I'm somewhat surprised that Carmack allowed the game to ship with that level of visual issues.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Battlefield 3 MP Map Details
5. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 13, 2011, 22:06 Hump

for PC theres plenty of 3rd party software to use that will allow joystick use in any game.

360-wise theres several companies that make joysticks for the platform.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Beta Specs
5. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Specs Oct 12, 2011, 18:35 Hump

As you can see if you go into the BF3 beta, it just isnt a good idea to use beta slots as incentives. People who pre-order for beta access rarely understand what a true beta entails and end up angry that what they get to play is an unstable, incomplete product. What they may gain in some early sales they end up losing in post launch due to bad word of mouth.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month
4. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 8, 2011, 18:48 Hump

Jerykk wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 18:01:
slightly off-topic: One thing about Vengeance that I thought was a great addition was the grappling hook. It was a skill that could be developed to allow one to change direction quickly. It wasn't unbalanced and it seemed to fit well within Tribes-style gameplay. I'd love to see something similar included in Ascend

Wasn't unbalanced? Are you kidding? It was horribly unbalanced and totally screwed chasers. Tribes is all about momentum and the ability to predict your opponent's movements based on things like speed and trajectory. When your opponent can instantly and drastically change direction, that makes things exponentially more difficult for chasers. In fact, unless the chaser also carried the grappler, he was screwed because there was no way he could change direction as quickly as cappers. Then there was also the ability for cappers to grapple to something and then just fly circles around it forever, making it much harder to hit them and causing stalemates to drag on much longer.

Tribes is about skill, right? I'm going on the assumption that people rise to a challenge. Also, maybe I didn't pay attention but some of the scenarios you mention I never saw (and I played quite a bit of Vengeance MP).

Anyhow. it more than likely wont be in so no use in arguing

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month
1. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Next Month Oct 8, 2011, 13:05 Hump

slightly off-topic: One thing about Vengeance that I thought was a great addition was the grappling hook. It was a skill that could be developed to allow one to change direction quickly. It wasn't unbalanced and it seemed to fit well within Tribes-style gameplay. I'd love to see something similar included in Ascend  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Into the Black
14. Steve Jobs Oct 6, 2011, 01:46 Hump

Another sublime quote:

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2011, 20:30 Hump

A beautiful quote from Jobs:

&#8206;
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Notch: Mojang Offered "To Give Up the Trademark" for Scrolls
37. Re: Notch: Mojang Offered "To Give Up the Trademark" for Scrolls Oct 4, 2011, 19:29 Hump

Sounds like Bethsofts legal dept. wants to exercise the usual behaviors of corporate/entertainment industry attorneys....being worthless scumbags.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > RAGE Tweaks
30. Re: By Far The Best id Game To Date Oct 4, 2011, 19:24 Hump

Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 18:46:
Quboid wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 18:24:
You're not impressed by Megatextures then?

Like I said, I'm playing it right now on a card that's not really made for gaming (Quadro FX4800), but the textures are truly just horrible. They're the most low-res pieces of crap I've seen in a game in over a decade. It looks 10000 times worse than all the screenshots we've seen so far.

If that's the flipside of Megatexture technology, then I hope they set it on fucking fire.

caveat: I still need to play it on my 5850, where it may look better. I sure as fuck hope so, because this game right now is just dirt fucking ugly. Borderlands looks better. I'm not joking.

Creston

Creston, I havent played it yet but from everyone I've talked says its one of the best looking games they've played this year. I do know that they did a similar trick that Epic does in Gears where inconsequential areas and items get some pretty low res textures while the main stuff gets all the gloss.

Have you tried different drivers?

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
29. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 4, 2011, 19:06 Hump

Blue wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 17:54:
Theo wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 17:51:
dont agree on a bunch of points...

Particularly since I don't do this kind of thing regularly, I'd be very interested in hearing your areas of disagreement if you care to elaborate.

I'm not trying to brown-nose but its good just seeing do some opinion pieces on games again.

BTW, I have an original idea: Two guys do a weekly video chat talking about cutting edge games, particularly FPS's.

We can call it something like...."Scooters"...Looters"....something along those lines. Hit me up.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Hacked 128-Player Battlefield 3 Beta Servers
42. Re: Hacked 128-Player Battlefield 3 Beta Servers Oct 2, 2011, 19:06 Hump

@Wildkat

dude, all I'm saying is that EA and DICE wouldn't have spent 10s of millions in advertising and development with hundreds of people for one of the most anticipated games in years without some forethought. None of us know if vehicles were tested with large amounts of people in a closed beta or if they'll introduce more into this beta leading up to the release.

I know shit about networking and even less about what it takes to make an incredibly complex thing such as a modern online game. I'm simply suggesting to let them do their job since they have done this type of thing several times previous and with great success. If you can't grasp that concept then godspeed friend

- Jim Goad

39. Re: Hacked 128-Player Battlefield 3 Beta Servers Oct 2, 2011, 18:52 Hump

WyldKat wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 18:47:
Bhruic wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 18:25:
I hardly consider it whining when potential customers want to see a map that's actually representative of Battlefield. They had Caspian Border in the beta for like 2 days and it was locked down by a password and was only on like 30 servers, constantly full. EA rep even bitched that people were sharing the password, fsking seriously??? Is it so wrong to want to play an actual BATTLEFIELD map???

It's not wrong. But it's also not the point of the beta. The beta is to help them test the game on a large scale. People seem to be confused over this, and I'll admit that the modern concept of "beta as demo" hasn't helped. But this isn't a demo. This isn't designed as a method for people to check out the game for free.

If you want an "actual Battlefield map", then wait for the game to be released. If you want to check out the beta, then you're going to have to accept the parameters that they've put in place for it. If those parameters aren't sufficient for you, well, then the beta isn't for you.

Hump wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 18:44:
WyldKat wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 18:20:
I hardly consider it whining when potential customers want to see a map that's actually representative of Battlefield. They had Caspian Border in the beta for like 2 days and it was locked down by a password and was only on like 30 servers, constantly full. EA rep even bitched that people were sharing the password, fsking seriously??? Is it so wrong to want to play an actual BATTLEFIELD map???

I was able to get on it a few times and if I hadn't got to mess around in it at all I probably would have passed on the game. Metro, while fun, just isn't Battlefield at all.

Do think its remotely possible that that DICE had good reasons, from a technical perspective, to choose the maps they did? They are NOT obligated, particularly in a beta, to give people whats "representative" of the full game. If that was their intent, it would be called a "demo". They're doing actual testing for server loads etc. If the game ships without thorough testing the same assholes crying now would be the first to run to the forums bitching about that. Its lose-lose for DICE. I realize DICE/EA have been dicks in the past but, FFS, let the game ship before starting this foot stomping "I am NOT pleased" mentality.

So neither of you think it's important to beta test vehicle/air combat on a Campaign map in a Battlefield game?

Right. Got it.

You're right, I'm sure they threw in vehicles as an afterthought and NEVER considered that they might need testing as well. After all, the game has only been in development for nearly 5 years. Be sure to email DICE your expert analysis since I'm assuming you know exactly what testing this particular game entails.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
92. Re: What's it take to get banned? Oct 2, 2011, 18:48 Hump

^Drag0n^ wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 17:41:
Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 15:33:
Bucky wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 14:11:
Regarding Rage, what are the thoughts on the game?

I think it looks pretty sweet. But I can't really tell you one way or the other until Tuesday.

Creston

I'm in agreement. I think my only concern is the lack of DM, but, to be honest, I've found myself playing more co-op games than adversarial ones as of late. Probably due somewhat to my drop in snapfiring skills with age, but mores to do with the people I play with.

I'm of the opinion that if the game does well enough, iD may include DM/TDM as a DLC option. They probably just wanted to get the game proper launched at a reasonable date so they cut FPS MP.

- Jim Goad

35. Re: Hacked 128-Player Battlefield 3 Beta Servers Oct 2, 2011, 18:44 Hump

WyldKat wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 18:20:

I was able to get on it a few times and if I hadn't got to mess around in it at all I probably would have passed on the game. Metro, while fun, just isn't Battlefield at all.

Do think its remotely possible that that DICE had good reasons, from a technical perspective, to choose the maps they did? They are NOT obligated, particularly in a beta, to give people whats "representative" of the full game. If that was their intent, it would be called a "demo". They're doing actual testing for server loads etc. If the game ships without thorough testing the same assholes crying now would be the first to run to the forums bitching about that. Its lose-lose for DICE. I realize DICE/EA have been dicks in the past but, FFS, let the game ship before starting this foot stomping "I am NOT pleased" mentality.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
90. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 2, 2011, 16:33 Hump

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 09:58:
Hump wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 07:48:
I seem to remember rational posts at one time...here....on Blues (no, really)

Bwwwahahahaaa Hump talking about "rational posts"... that was a real knee-slapper right there, bro... BWWWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll have you know I was a rational person at one time....

- Jim Goad

23. Re: Hacked 128-Player Battlefield 3 Beta Servers Oct 2, 2011, 16:27 Hump

IMO using betas as a perk for pre-orders is a mistake that ends up doing exactly what its doing now, making people feel entitled to act like whining babies. I didnt enjoy the game as it is in beta so I am not going to play until its released because this beta is already coloring my opinion.

Re: 128 player servers: This is akin to altering a doctors med RX by upping the dosage expecting it to work even better. They made the game, they MIGHT just know what the system limitations are and how many players a map will comfortably accommodate for an optimal game.

- Jim Goad

8. Re: Hacked 128-Player Battlefield 3 Beta Servers Oct 2, 2011, 15:16 Hump

I played a grand total of 2 minutes. It was apparent that people were using vegetation hacks aplenty (I wont even try to guess what else was being used). Add to that bad performance on my somewhat dated PC (yes, its a beta) and lastly, I realized Im sick to death of military based shooters. I tried the 360 versiom and was bored to death. I waited years for BF3 only to find that I've had enough....for the time being anyhow.  

- Jim Goad

7359 Comments. 368 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo