Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom Landry

Real Name Tom Landry   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hump
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Stats: chain smoking, coffee swilling, overweight middle-aged male single dad with one 13 year old in residence.
Likes: games, cute Japanese chicks, milk duds, red meat, fresh bread, reading sci-fi, money, a good cigar now and
Homepage http://tjlandry.blogspot.com/
Signed On Jun 17, 2001, 15:14
Total Comments 7359 (Guru)
User ID 10137

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Black Ops 2 Rumor
13. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 22:51 Hump

Please spare me the "OMG teh integrity of teh JOURNALIST!"

This isn't an embedded reporter in Afghanistan or a journo investigating lobbyist abuses. Its about fucking GAMES. Publishers and game journos respect embargoes and NDA's on a regular basis. Is that unethical? Acti stepped on their cock, had the piece removed and asked Gameblog to do the same with their story. They didn't ask them to overlook payola for a good review, they asked them to remove it because they probably had a significant dollar amount invested in an official roll-out. Gameblog, instead of just having the courtesy of taking it down, decided it would be a good opportunity to join the ranks of victim culture and rally against the big bad evil corporation....MAAANNNNN! I normally side with the underdog in issues akin to this but this is such a blatant attempt at attention whoring for a minor site that I refuse to have any empathy for these hypersensitive babies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Black Ops 2 Rumor
2. Re: Black Ops 2 Rumor Feb 18, 2012, 15:00 Hump

For once I'm siding with Acti as much as that pains me. Gameblog are acting as if they are being targeted like political prisoners in a 3rd world nation. Acti messed up and released something by mistake. They asked Gameblog to remove the piece since acti probably had plans for a major roll-out and all the costs involved with that. Instead Gameblog decided to create drama and ignore whatever business relationship etiquette they had to garner attention for their site. Now theyre crying to the game press that they received "unfair" pressure when acti decided to exclude them from future product roll outs etc. Theres no constitutional guarantee of equal access to game announcements. Gameblog acted like petulant little brats and Acti gave them what they deserved. Fuck 'em  

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Ravaged Announced
7. Re: Ravaged Announced Feb 18, 2012, 11:22 Hump

ASeven wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 05:46:
Hump wrote on Feb 18, 2012, 00:23:
Reading the site it looks like this is being made by some veterans of Kaos studios (Desert Combat mod, Frontlines, etc). Hopefully its the ones who knew how to make a MP game fun rather than the abysmal shit we got in "Homefront".

They might be since they also mention they worked on BF2.

There was some controversy about the fact that Kaos did the prototype work for BF2 and weren't allowed to finish the initial build by EA thereby getting screwed out of 300k. After that they regrouped and put out Frontlines. That game's MP was actually superior to Battlefield in many ways. Unfortunately they never got around to fixing the horrible performance of the Unreal tech they licensed.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Ravaged Announced
1. Re: Ravaged Announced Feb 18, 2012, 00:23 Hump

Reading the site it looks like this is being made by some veterans of Kaos studios (Desert Combat mod, Frontlines, etc). Hopefully its the ones who knew how to make a MP game fun rather than the abysmal shit we got in "Homefront".  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > ShootMania: Storm Art
1. Re: ShootMania: Storm Art Feb 15, 2012, 17:17 Hump

"More information coming soon."

Man, I hope so. that artwork isn't doing the build-up any favors.

"Effeminate Space Rangers"....not a shooter I'm interested in

- Jim Goad

News Comments > MechWarrior Tactics Countdown
8. Re: MechWarrior Tactics Countdown Feb 14, 2012, 19:30 Hump

add to this Mechwarrior Assault Tech (Mektek), Mechwarrior Online and we've gone from utterly nothing for a decade to 3 new titles (not including Living Legends). Nice.

Can never have too much stompy robot games (oh, Hawken in December).

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3
63. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 14, 2012, 01:03 Hump

Gamestop price: Hard copy 59.99
Digital Download 59.99

Upper Management: "We can't understand why so many consumers are pirating our products...."

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway
15. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 12, 2012, 12:35 Hump

For myself I gave it a month, I have yet to figure out a way to play it and consistently have fun. The potential is definitely there, which is probably why I keep going back every once in a while, but I'm not ready to fold Tribes:Ascend back into my daily gaming mix.

Ascend is actually a LOT easier than the original. Energy recharge is much faster, skiing is simply a matter of holding down one button rather than having to manipulate two keys and I suspect the hit boxes are more generous (though I might be wrong on that one).

While making a game more noob friendly may allow fresh players to acclimate quickly it also has the negative effect of becoming dull much more quickly. A learning curve will keep the game fresh longer and the feeling of reward when you finally do get a difficult kill makes the game ultimately more satisfying.

My suggestion is this: Pick a role and stay with it. The easiest and most fun for new players is the Juggernaut. Don't try to chase flag cappers or spam the opponents base. Just defend the generators. Trust me, you'll get plenty of action. After you've mastered that, start the Technician role. Turrets do serious damage in Ascend. Upgrade to two turrets and a thumper for yourself and you've got some easy kills coming. Just stay with your role, repair/defend. Classes like the Sentinel (sniper) and Jumper (capper/chaser) have a high learning curve and are best left for later. Focus on a role than trying to do it all and I guarantee you'll get better and enjoy it far more.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2012, 23:53 Hump

nin wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 20:13:
Just saw Whitney Houston died. I hate to say it, but my first thought was her quote "Crack is whack."

You and about half a million people on Twitter.

If there were a pool for guessing the cause of death I'm going with suicide

- Jim Goad

11. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 22:35 Hump

Jackplug wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 19:02:
I got bored of this and havent played it in ages, from a T1 vet point of view, I found the maps boring and skilless. The ski runs are little bumps in the ground that reminds me of T2 which is another bunch of devs who think they know better.

Odd, it seems even many of the hardcore tribes vets are finding that the game isn't a complete waste of time. Its hard to deny theyve captured much of the feel of T1 and have been working with the fanbase on a level that you rarely see from developers. The pro's far outweigh the cons unless you're just looking to be "contrary guy" who dismisses anything that doesn't fit into some narrow definition of what the "ELITE" deem acceptable.

"This shit is for newfags MAAAAAAN!"

- Jim Goad

5. Re: Tribes Ascend Beta Key Giveaway Feb 11, 2012, 15:44 Hump

went back to play after not touching the game for over a month. I really like the changes they've implemented. It gives one much more customization choices, the lack of which was the main complaint about their revenue model. The only thing I dislike is the main menu GUI, its not as intuitive as the previous one IMO.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Renegade X: Black Dawn Released
16. Re: Renegade X: Black Dawn Released Jan 30, 2012, 22:02 Hump

I loved Ren original and Ren X, but the devs haven't addressed the most glaring issue the series has always had and that's weapon feedback. For example: Shoot an NPC in the torso with a sniper rifle round and you get no reaction. Hit him with a 2nd and he'll die. I depend on animations to let me know if I've connected with my round but in this game you get nada. It might seem nitpicky but it does take you out of the game. It also makes for a boring game if you don't see/feel the damage you are doing to NPC's or structures.

They did a good job with the visuals but, in the end, it feels hollow. Hopefully they'll address these issues in the MP release.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > On Legend of Grimrock Accessibility
11. Re: On Legend of Grimrock Accessibility Jan 28, 2012, 17:21 Hump

Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 16:07:
nin wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 13:36:
Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2012, 13:05:
I didn't read any of the linked articles, but by 'disabled' I just assume they mean 'only able to play console games'. : )

-Alamar

Follow the Reddit link and read the attached image then...

But then my bad joke based on ignorance (while trashing console 'kiddies') is no longer funny...

-Alamar

'but it's not funny anyways'...

Don't try to be sublime here. Its like passing out a Christmas bonus to the crew of the Titanic.....

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Margaritaville Online Launches
5. Re: Margaritaville Online Launches Jan 26, 2012, 00:08 Hump

Nobody should be asking why THQ is tanking.  

- Jim Goad

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2012, 20:45 Hump

we gotch yo' back massah Blue.

How about I pick up some ribeyes for the site regulars, we go to your abode, cook em up and have a lan party?

- Jim Goad

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2012, 21:24 Hump

I set my alarm last night before my nap so I could watch NE destroy Denver. The alarm never went up and I woke after 11pm.

soooo pissed.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Activision Buys Blackops2.com
6. Re: Activision Buys Blackops2.com Jan 9, 2012, 23:59 Hump

CoD 3 is the peak. After this year, Acti better start coming up with better ideas than shit like "Elite" and weapon upgrades. People are burning out on military shooters.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights
29. Re: Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights Jan 9, 2012, 23:54 Hump

2 million? Bethsoft & Interplay went through this whole mess over a ridiculous 2 million when the Fallout property is worth 50 times that?

Wouldnt it have been much easier for Bethsoft to approach Interplay and say "look, we changed our mind about the fallout MMO...we think we can make something amazing. Take this 15 mill to drop the licencing agreement". No doubt Bethsoft spent more than that on legal maneuvers.

Fucking Lawyers....gotta ...something ....them

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Q&A: Tribes Universe On Hold; Other Starsiege Games Planned
2. Re: Tribes Ascend Q&A: Tribes Universe On Hold; Other Starsiege Games Planned Jan 4, 2012, 21:59 Hump

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 20:41:
Given that it's taking so long for Mechwarrior to come out, I wouldn't mind seeing a modern take on the old Earthsiege games. It has been a long time since we've had a good mech game on PC.

agreed. Even better, I'd love to see a combined arms SS game with both mechs and infantry (a more focused version of the Mechwarrior: Living Legends mod style).

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Beta Patch
9. Re: Tribes: Ascend Beta Patch Dec 25, 2011, 00:42 Hump

Enjoying the hell out of this.

Bought just about every class. No regrets.

I played MW3 for a couple hours, got annoyed. Switched to T;A and it put a smile on my face.

- Jim Goad

7359 Comments. 368 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo