Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom Landry

Real Name Tom Landry   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hump
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Stats: chain smoking, coffee swilling, overweight middle-aged male single dad with one 13 year old in residence.
Likes: games, cute Japanese chicks, milk duds, red meat, fresh bread, reading sci-fi, money, a good cigar now and
Homepage http://tjlandry.blogspot.com/
Signed On Jun 17, 2001, 15:14
Total Comments 7393 (Guru)
User ID 10137

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
27. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 23:57 Hump

BOTA:99 wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 23:29:
You can end up paying far more under the laughable "free to play" model. Why do you think they are all moving in this direction.

Because physical media is dead? Because people don't want to pay for a game and then a monthly fee? Because one can tailor their MP experience in a way that doesn't require endless grinding?

Just stop with this "ITS PAY TO WIN MAAAAANNNN!" bullshit. You can check out a game without spending a penny. Is paying 60 bucks for a retail game only to find out its a piece of shit make more sense to you?

Thats whats called a rhetorical question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 38 Studios Bankrupt; FBI Investigating
27. Re: 38 Studios Bankrupt; FBI Investigating Jun 7, 2012, 18:45 Hump

They stonewalled state officials when questions started coming up about the late payments etc. This is politicians calling favors to the State Police and AG's office to break 38 studio's balls. Ive lived here my whole life. This is how the state political system works. Much like a Mafia family  

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

News Comments > 38 Studios Closed?
64. Re: 38 Studios Closed? May 25, 2012, 02:42 Hump

I hope there is an investigation against EDC. There is no way 38 Studios burned through that much cash in that short a time.

jim, I don't think 38 Studios was frivolous with the cash, they took a shot and it failed. The problem, to me anyway, is that a few politicos were so willing to sacrifice taxpayer money and god knows what other perks to get a game studio in RI. In the mind of the ringmaster the game industry is somehow "cutting edge" to them and they want to be able to claim credit if it turned out good with high sales.

As it is now, none of these shitbags have claimed responsibility for this debacle

- Jim Goad

News Comments > 38 Studios Closed?
5. Re: 38 Studios Closed? May 24, 2012, 19:36 Hump

This state is notorious for its politicians which Alan Dershowitz has called "The most corrupt in the country". The State has a checkered past with rumored Mob involvement in municipal projects (a running joke here is you'll never see a public construction project being done by a company that doesnt have a vowel in the owners last name). Appointments to positions and elected officials look at their positions as an opportunity to enrich themselves and friends. For example, "The Providence Place Mall" was pitched as a high end mall with expensive boutique outlets, gourmet dining (Think Copely Place in Boston) etc. Studies showed it would be untenable financially since the number of high income residents who could afford to shop there were'nt enough to support the place. The study results landed on deaf ears, bonds were floated, deals made without public input. It is now allowing in "Dollar Tree" and Trading card shops....ie; anyone who is willing to pay the rent.

38 Studios was a similar deal. A few politicos begged the company to locate here with tax breaks and funding. It was put through with out a single bit of input from taxpayers. Not a single politician is claiming responsibility for the wrongheaded deal to begin with.

This was seen by many of us before the papers were even signed for the Studios to move in. As usual we get to foot the bill for some scumbags who feel the state is their personal Kingdom

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter Demo & DLC Released
1. Re: Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter Demo & DLC Released May 16, 2012, 20:53 Hump

Bought this last week on special for 14 bucks. nothing ground breaking but its fun  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads
32. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads May 16, 2012, 14:23 Hump

1 million downloads. Too bad there isn't more than 100 people playing at peak times.

Hi-Rez has done a remarkable job bringing the game back but I'm starting to suspect that the newer generation of gamers just aren't interested in this kind of game any longer.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Infinity Ward Collects $42M in Royalties
4. Re: Infinity Ward Collects $42M in Royalties May 15, 2012, 15:25 Hump

I wonder if the lawyers are keeping any of this

Is the sun going to set tonight?

- Jim Goad

News Comments > FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole?
28. Re: FilePlanet Heading Towards a Black Hole? May 3, 2012, 15:11 Hump

I haven't gone to FP in 5 years or more. I'd forgotten all about it.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced
39. Re: Skyrim Versus ThreatFire Apr 26, 2012, 01:53 Hump

yonder wrote on Apr 25, 2012, 19:58:
Apparently Bethesda bought the rights, so that's why the team isn't doing/won't be doing it.

Thats troubling since I dont think Beth has the talent to continue a game such as STALKER

- Jim Goad

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced
23. Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: 2 "Frozen"; MMOFPS Survarium Announced Apr 25, 2012, 17:34 Hump

yah, I'll contribute money to a bunch of eastern Europeans and sit confidently knowing they won't take a walk with the funding.

..... and Russian hookers have hearts of gold

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Something Growing at The Farm 51
4. Re: Something Growing at The Farm 51 Apr 17, 2012, 19:10 Hump

Ratty wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 17:48:
necrovision was so so. Not as good as Painkiller but I played through it twice so that says something.

It was certainly better than Bulletstorm.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned
121. Re: Bulletstorm Sequel Cancelled; PC Piracy Mentioned Apr 10, 2012, 17:34 Hump

Epic fucked the game up. they should have let PCF alone to do what they do best.....make great old school shooters  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter
40. Re: Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Apr 4, 2012, 17:44 Hump

I can't think of a better game for a Kickstarter fund. Weisman never fails to impress with his ideas.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Grim Dawn Status Report; Release Plans
10. Re: Grim Dawn Status Report; Release Plans Apr 1, 2012, 07:43 Hump

the game videos look pretty impressive.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback
39. Re: BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback Mar 19, 2012, 13:09 Hump

forget the ending, how about finishing that PvP style multiplayer they started then canceled.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Dishonored Trailer
4. Re: Dishonored Trailer Mar 12, 2012, 23:05 Hump

for a game I'm really looking forward to, these two guys nearly put me to sleep.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Romero on Making an Old School FPS: "I Have Plans"
18. Re: Romero on Making an Old School FPS: "I Have Plans" Mar 11, 2012, 18:08 Hump

Daikatana multiplayer was a lot of fun.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer
11. Re: MechWarrior Online Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2012, 07:23 Hump

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 04:47:
So what happens when 1 of your 4 squad members disconnects, suddenly its 4 vs 3 and you lose, when a bot would take over, you might not.

Is simple developer laziness, there is no reason not to have bots and skirmishes apart from the fact that it takes effort.

I would hardly call these guys "lazy". Second, if someone drops out you will be faced with the same issue had one of your lancemates been killed.....you soldier on and do the best you can. If you win the victory is that much sweeter. Lastly, we don't know if there will or won't be bots.

BT fans are truly lucky that we have Russ and Bryan attached to this project. They "get it". Much of what they are implementing is stuff that we've dreamed about for years but never saw.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Next Month
36. Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 19:08 Hump

PHJF wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 18:53:
Not sure of what physics issues are present. Physics in comparison with the original or just wonky physics in general?

Jetpacks are too weak and behave horribly under all circumstances. Having to mash the spacebar repeatedly just to turn is not smart design (yeah I switched MB2 and space, wanna fight about it?). Weapons are a total clusterfuck of varying inheritance. Piloting vehicles is just awkward across the board.

The maps are all shit, too, heavily favoring cappers (temple ruins was better in this regard). Nox is the only map I can't really complain about design wise, except it's too small.

I started to enjoy it much more once I stopped trying to compare it with the originals. Generally speaking, you get the same experience but you have to adapt to the changes, not all of which are bad.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Next Month
30. Re: Tribes: Ascend Next Month Mar 9, 2012, 17:54 Hump

PHJF wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 13:23:
I play it because it's as old school as they come, which is something I needed after all my time in TF2.

It's not well done and still has a cornucopia of fundamental issues (skiing and projectile physics are hotly debated constantly).

BTW, that's a funny video

It's not done well? Are we playing the same game?

They've done a phenomenal job of emulating the old school feel of the originals while making the F2P aspects not only tolerable but actually interesting. It feels very polished. Even a lot of the nitwits at TribalWar are grudgingly admitting that, for what it is, its pretty decent.

Not sure of what physics issues are present. Physics in comparison with the original or just wonky physics in general?

- Jim Goad

7393 Comments. 370 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo