Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom Landry

Real Name Tom Landry   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Hump
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Stats: chain smoking, coffee swilling, overweight middle-aged male single dad with one 13 year old in residence.
Likes: games, cute Japanese chicks, milk duds, red meat, fresh bread, reading sci-fi, money, a good cigar now and
Homepage http://tjlandry.blogspot.com/
Signed On Jun 17, 2001, 15:14
Total Comments 7450 (Guru)
User ID 10137

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Painkiller Hell & Damnation Free Weekend
2. Re: Painkiller Hell & Damnation Free Weekend Jan 31, 2013, 21:48 Hump

pagb wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 21:38:
Anyone tried it? I gave MP a chance during closed beta and it was the worse lagfest ever.

The first game and the expansion are really the only ones worth playing as far as single player goes. The MP used to be populated by pro level quake players who would mop up anyone who wasn't playing at a tournament level.

Painkiller was/is a textbook case on why allowing white collar tools to control development has caused talented developers to run to sources like kickstarter rather than be beholden to Gods chosen for financing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Hardware
17. Re: Steam Hardware Jan 8, 2013, 12:56 Hump

1k as a price point is way too high for this idea to impact current console gaming. I love the idea of the system as it stands on its own but unless Valve can somehow subsidize the 7a spec system (the company's gaming top of the line model) to less than half of what Xi3 is asking then I dont see much hope for success here.  

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

News Comments > THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale
16. Re: THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale Dec 19, 2012, 16:16 Hump

Rigs wrote on Dec 19, 2012, 15:52:
So...umm, where'd all that bundle money go?

Plus, if they were to give Volition permission to go ahead with Freespace3, they'd be rollin' in it in no time! (Yes, I live in a fantasy world, doesn't everyone?)

=-Rigs-=

I believe they only netted around 5 million all told.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > The Showdown Effect Trailer
1. Re: The Showdown Effect Trailer Dec 18, 2012, 22:46 Hump

Damn, I initially read that as "Shadowrun".....  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack
1. Re: Medal of Honor Warfighter: Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack Dec 18, 2012, 12:06 Hump

and the sound of silence..  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > HAWKEN Beta Opens
10. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 14:58 Hump

they haven't addressed the thing that bothered me most in alpha. The fact that the mechs still blend into the structures to closey making them hard to focus on quickly. Otherwise, this is a blast.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend
16. Re: PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend Dec 8, 2012, 22:50 Hump

LaxerFL wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 18:08:
The only things you can buy with real money are different guns. You can't buy upgrades to skills or weapons. You can't buy cert points. I don't understand how this is pay to win? Battlefield Heroes is way worse

Because its easier to trash shit you have no clue about rather than actually take an hour to read up on how the economy works and pretend to be informed.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > IGF Finalists on Steam
9. Re: IGF Finalists on Steam Dec 7, 2012, 18:19 Hump

Im kinda digging Starforge despite its roughness. theres an insane amount of potential there.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Intel "Committed" to Socketed CPUs for "The Foreseeable Future"
11. Re: Intel Dec 6, 2012, 14:16 Hump

meh. I always replace cpu and mobo's at the same time when I upgrade. I'm sure I'd be pissed if i were a hobbyist though.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > HAWKEN Delayed; Open Beta Next Week
2. Re: HAWKEN Delayed; Open Beta Next Week Dec 5, 2012, 22:50 Hump

Great game. Just bee prepared for some hardcore old-school twitch shooting. You will actually burn calories playing Hawken.  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans "Scumbag"
44. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 22:45 Hump

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 16:44:
I like how the defense against critizing this game is always "You just suck at it.". Sorry, but no. A few good reviews, but mostly mediocre. A release that didn't get much fanfare. A lot of people checking it out and not staying long. It will have a small niche community like Planetside 1 *which actually was a fun game for awhile*, but never anything more than that. If it had a subsription fee, the servers would already be dead.

A major issue IS people "sucking at it". The CoD/BF3 crowd step in expecting a sci-fi version of their games and that is simply wrong. PS2 HAS to be played as a team. Period. You join a squad, the team leader sets a waypoint, you attack as a unit. CoD and BF3 encourage lone wolf behavior. this is a completely different game. until the fucktards wake up and adapt, they'll continue to whine and dismiss one of the best shooters ever made.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans "Scumbag"
43. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 22:33 Hump

Panickd wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 17:28:
Not sure what they thought would happen here: let's give bonuses to factions with a certain number of facilities and a different bonus to groups of players with less players but not enough to offset the facility bonuses. What???? I really don't get the whole XP bonus system? Should I even be trying to play?

Here's what happens in this game: Either A) you end up with a decent squad commander and he gets fairly involved in where you go and what you should be doing or B) you join a squad with someone clueless commanding it and nothing whatsoever gets done or C) you join up only to immediately see people shooting teammates or team controlled assets and think, "WTF?".

On top of all that I constantly see speed hacks. It's freaking ridiculous. In addition there are hacks allowing people to get to places they shouldn't have access to, too.

I have all but sworn off this bullshit until they can contain the insane number of people hacking it, which may be never since it's a F2P game and any jackass with an internet connection can join in.

To play devils advocate, stop for two minutes and think about the scope of PS2.....the size, the weapon variables along with empire specific stats, facility stas, gadgets for player, for vehicle, for armor and all the potential permutations when one combines all the aforementioned. its a fucking miracle that the game plays as well as it does. oh, and keeping free players competitive with those who are willing to spend a few bucks.

the game has its issues but cut the dev team some slack. Its an amazing game that has no equal currently.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025
4. Re: More Big Picture Details Dec 1, 2012, 16:32 Hump

LgFriess wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 15:54:
I'm enjoying it... a lot. And it totally surprises me. I'm not much of a twitch, multi player gamer nowadays, but the game really has been great for me so far. Tough getting started, and I die waaayyy too much but I'm learning.

Just sitting on top of a mountain looking down on a raging battle is quite a sight. Knowing all of those tanks, aircraft, machine gun blasts going off are other players going at it is impressive.

My one concern is lasting appeal. You win hard fought battles, take territory, take over huge parts of the map, and within an hour it can all be gone. So it leaves me a little empty in that respect. So then the long term appeal comes back to you fine tuning your character and finding a great group to play with. So we'll see how it all turns out.

Give it a shot! Even if you're an old, slow, feeble gamer like I am, there's fun to be had.

the single most important thing you need to remember in PS2 is that it is a TEAM oriented game. join a squad the second you log in. Make sure the the leader is setting waypoints and giving orders so that you can focus on objectives. in most MMO's I much prefer soloing over guilds etc but in PS2, it (grouping) adds to the fun immeasurably. Plus your XP goes up much faster

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns in May/June 2013?
5. Re: Shadowrun Returns in May/June 2013? Nov 22, 2012, 16:07 Hump

Speaking of things Shadowrun, i wish the hell MS would release the FPS game for free since they obviously arent drawing revenue from it.

Despite it being improperly named, it WAS one of better MP-only tactical shooters of the past several years.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 22, 2012, 16:04 Hump

Happy Thanksgiving Stephen  

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter
23. Re: Peter Molyneux's God Game Kickstarter Nov 21, 2012, 18:38 Hump

This is like giving money to a gambling addict who'll promise to "pay you right back" because he's certain he's going to win this time.

Go take a nap Peter. One day at a time.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Launches
37. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 16:11 Hump

Omni wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 09:50:
I like it a lot but it still runs like shit. =(

The same thing faced players of the original game. Only a top-of-the-line rig will play the game smoothly at higher graphics settings. As time goes on and the average players upgrade their systems they'll see better performance.

Also, its a new engine and Im sure they've got a lot of tweaking to go yet.

- Jim Goad

36. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 16:05 Hump

Theo wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 08:23:
Hump wrote on Nov 21, 2012, 08:06:
You've obviously haven't played for long.

Joining a game and simply playing run-n-gun will get you very little XP and you'll contribute nothing to the empire you joined. Not to mention it'll get you dead pretty quickly. The base capture gives your team specific perks depending on what that bases function is. Theres the certification point system along with other units of reward all of which allows one to upgrade charcter, weapons, armor, vehicles, etc.

IOW, just joining and playing like you would a game of CoD is futile. You may as well not play at all. Unfortunatey the kiddies are going to assume this is a sci-fi version of battlefield will quit in frustration without having a clue as to what the game is all about.

I played planetside 1, and was in that first round of testers. Frankly I stand by my comments, i loved PS1, PS2 is *ok*.

"XP systems" loadout's etc are hardly unique to planetside, whilst the bases you capture do impact the game play. you are *not* going to go go randomly cap a base yourself; you are going to follow the rest of the squad (if using my example); and in doing that you will level just as well.

Its not like removing enemy players from the battlefield by killing them isn't a worthwhile thing to be doing. (and inevitably the flow of the game takes you to the important places).

Also, i have to say, if you are concerned about XP over the act of shooting someone, you are totally missing the whole point of planetside; both 1 and 2. Just shooting enemys isnt pointless ever. you might not understand the game as well as someone else but you are being valueable all the same - and frankly be dammed with all the "why so serious" stuff.

I was simply responding to your statement that implied the game was just point-and-shoot. If you are a vet then you know its much more than that. There IS a significant (for a shooter) learning curve if you are to take advantage of all the game has to offer.

- Jim Goad

23. Re: PlanetSide 2 Launches Nov 21, 2012, 08:06 Hump

You've obviously haven't played for long.

Joining a game and simply playing run-n-gun will get you very little XP and you'll contribute nothing to the empire you joined. Not to mention it'll get you dead pretty quickly. The base capture gives your team specific perks depending on what that bases function is. Theres the certification point system along with other units of reward all of which allows one to upgrade charcter, weapons, armor, vehicles, etc.

IOW, just joining and playing like you would a game of CoD is futile. You may as well not play at all. Unfortunatey the kiddies are going to assume this is a sci-fi version of battlefield will quit in frustration without having a clue as to what the game is all about.

- Jim Goad

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Torgue DLC Confirmed
12. Re: Borderlands 2 Torgue DLC Confirmed Nov 15, 2012, 19:42 Hump

I enjoyed the game for approximately 5 hours and suddenly it just became a bore. there's some great idea there but the loot reward system is overdone. there's too much junk and one needs to spend too much time comparing weapon and gadget qualities. The reward system needs to be leaner and more focused so you feel like you've earned something special rather than looking at it as a chore to comb thru the garbage  

- Jim Goad

7450 Comments. 373 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo