Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

52. Re: Op Ed Aug 25, 2014, 09:13 Parallax Abstraction

The biggest issue I have with those who soapbox about all the harm the supposedly rampant sexism and misogyny in video games cause is that the implication is that by witnessing even mildly sexist behaviour, it influences the viewer to be more sexist. Many of the same people on said soapboxes also crusaded against government attempts to regulate violent video games because there is no conclusive evidence whatsoever that violent games make players more violent. I've witnessed plenty of violence and sexism in games and I am not a violent person and I have nothing but respect for good women, the same as I have respect for good men. I have a real problem with the argument that games don't make people violent but they do make people sexist, despite there being even less evidence to back up that point. I'm not saying this is an excuse to ramp up sexist behaviours in games or that there isn't room for improvement (frankly, I think Call of Duty could do a way better job of how it tells violent stories too) but I take real exception to it being insinuated that I'm so stupid and impressionable that I'm going to suddenly start hating women because I played a game where not every female character is portrayed in someone's idealised fashion.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2014, 09:36.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo