Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

50. Re: Op Ed Aug 25, 2014, 06:15 atomicfro

Here are some of my not so organized thoughts on the matter I thought might add to the discussion:

In the bigger picture, is sexism in video games a greater problem than say sexism in the general culture proper? Do more acts of sexism occur during a game of Grand Theft Auto than what occurs in your average American high school every day? Do more acts of sexism occur in World of Warcraft than what occurs in bars and pubs across the globe? Are there more sexists on a single Counter Strike server than in your average bowling alley? That's not to excuse acts of genuine sexism that occurs in out hobby, but why pick on us specifically?

The big question is do sexists represent a larger percentage of the gaming population than that of the general population "on" the internet. If Anita Sarkeesian is really "spending" 30k for one of those click bait videos with donation money, thats something she should research.

Everyone knows there is no such thing as gaming "journalism." I really think that aspect of all this is a non-issue. We all know they are all just advertiser mouth pieces. And the articles that aren't blatant advertising, really shouldn't be held to any high regard to that of some forgotten blog post lost in the vastness that is the internet. If we have a problem with that, then we need to start paying for things instead of letting advertisers pay for it for us.

Is sexism an issue in gaming? Sure it is. I wouldn't want my daughter playing an online game getting the harassment that can occur. That's a side effect of anonymity. The punks can get away with it without getting punched in the face. But, really, are they the majority or a very vocal minority, the bad apples that ruin it for the rest of us?

For the lot of us 30 somethings on this board, gaming isn't so much a hobby, I would say, than our chosen form of escape. And most of the time its a private, and its no one's business what we do behind closed doors as long as its not hurting anyone else. We don't need outsiders telling us our hobby is evil. What we do in a game is not indicative of our beliefs or actions in the real world.

These SJW types are completely using us. If you want to manipulate a bunch of white knights, where is there a more concentrated source than gaming? They are getting on their soap boxes telling us they feel oppressed and of course we want to help them. Once they have our attention, they have a large laundry list of reasons we should feel guilt, and then they plea to that guilt for money or favors. Once that dries up, they pull the victim card.

Zoe was called out and now she is done. But, in the big scheme of things, she was a no body. Sure she has a "game" on steam, I can't say I've ever accomplished such a feat, but its always going to be tainted by her social justice lies and manipulation, and the use of a public figure's suicide for advertising.

Her ousting is casting more scrutiny on other SJW, and really I think the best tactic is to ignore them and let this dark chapter in gaming come to a close. Stop giving them a soap box, stop talking about them. If you want to have a discussion about fixing some of the social issues that are part of gaming, go right ahead. But we don't need these people to make us feel guilty for wanting to save the princess (who just so happens to be in the next castle) and using that guilt as click bait.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo