Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

20. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 09:25 Verno

Prez wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 21:30:
I've been saying this for a while now. So much of videogaming history will be lost to the ages because of dying hardware and more recently online server requirements. There are ways around a lot of these things but in 25 years will anyone be able to find a playable version of Diablo 2? Maybe, but the real question is will anyone be able to find a playable version of Diablo 3? Whether or not someone 25 years from now would want to play such ancient games (by future standards) isn't the point - this is our gaming HISTORY. Nobody values the Liberty Bell based on well it rings, nor do they judge the value of the USS Missouri based on how it could perform in a modern-day sea battle.

Honestly thanks to VMs I think the situation is better than ever before for singleplayer games. Like you said though the real concern is games with online functionality. Look at all of the upcoming Ubisoft games and they underpinned online shit into every aspect. The day will come when they will shut those servers down and the excuse will be that only 5-10 gamers still play it. Personally I don't care if 1 or a million people play it, if I bought it I expect it to be playable. This is really a complex problem though because companies cannot just support a game indefinitely anymore and still create others, most aren't structured like Valve who can live off Steam/Dota/TF2 forever.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo