Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

14. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2014, 08:20 NKD

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 08:04:
Until the corrupted politicians in robes rule otherwise, the first sale doctrine still applies in the U.S of A.

I buy it, I own it. The law says so and Ben Kuchera can go fly a kite.

According to your own link, current case law in the US does NOT support first sale doctrine for software licenses per Verner v Autodesk, and EULA clauses that grant you a limited license are valid.

It's a different story in Europe, but that's had basically zero practical implications as yet. Having a legal right to transfer ownership doesn't mean that a third party has a legal obligation to actively facilitate a transfer of ownership.

And that's all putting aside the fact that First Sale Doctrine has absolutely nothing to do with games-as-service. If you buy software reliant on a service to be operational, then it doesn't matter whether you own it, or are merely licensing it: Once the service is dead, it's a useless pile of bits.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo