Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

211. Re: SWG has failed... Jun 23, 2003, 17:51 Troll

Thanks for the informative post. As a former MUD and constant CRPG player who has not yet decided to go for any of the graphical MMORPGs so far, I conclude that I should keep waiting. Maybe in five or so years technology and game design will be far enough along to make this sort of game entertaining for a larger demographic.

There seem to be a few basic flaws with MMORPGs in general:

First, one will never have the player focused story and feeling of individual accomplishment as in a single player game where the entire gameplay is focused on that. Every single one of the thousands of users cannot be made to feel special. That is why you all have to start by doing boring stuff like countless random encounters.

Second, one also doesn't have the feeling that the people who are high level have gotten there because they have some sort of admirable skill, such as a Q3A player who is able to clean out a level or a Warcraft3 player who is able to maintain his standing in the top ten of a worldwide ladder. These other multiplayer games most certainly don't make all the players feel special either, but they motivate because one aspires to build one's own skills rather than simply accumulate the experience points of one's alterego. The only thing that can be said with certainty about a high level RPG player is that he has been playing for a long time / spent a lot of money.

The social aspect is the only redeeming element in my eyes that one doesn't necessarily find in other genres, but there are enough free social places on the net (IRC, usenet, forums, MUDs, etc) to make one think twice before paying a monthly fee for it.

I disagree with your post in one point: Jumping is not the feature that is missing, it is the walls that are too small. Clearly, the wall is there so you are prevented from going across it for some obscure reason.

If the wall was meant to be scaled, perhaps jumping across it would be the commonly accepted game mechanic, but it is rife to be replaced by more true to life sorts of context sensitive climbing animation (see for example Splinter Cell). Jumping was fine in Super Mario and is fine in Olympic sports games, but it needs to yield to more sensible options just about everywhere else.

(Edited spelling)
This comment was edited on Jun 23, 17:53.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo