Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

25. Re: Frontier Gains Elite Rights; Braben to Sell Frontier Stock Apr 17, 2014, 20:27 Sho

Zyrxil wrote on Apr 17, 2014, 18:44:
I don't think you understand how the world works. The people/companies doing Kickstarters are not broke hobos with 0 assets and an idea. They are people with jobs, and (hopefully) plenty of development experience. The broke hobos with an idea and nothing else are exactly the people you shouldn't be funding. Frontier Developments has 210 employees and plenty of published games on their resume. While not a huge AAA studio, it's safe to say they have some cash. They did the Kickstarter because they can't risk their survival by completely self funding a $1.5 million+ project with no guarantee of a return. People who live in nice homes and have employees depending on them not to fuck the company up don't do business that way.

This. I get really annoyed every time "but they have money, why did they go to Kickstarter?!" comes up in a thread. Kickstarter isn't (just) for beggers. From a business perspective you want your projects to be financially sound independent of context, and spread the risk instead of having to spend/gamble your own last penny every time. I don't want creators to have to live like that anyway. And as a frequent backer, as long as campaigns are upfront about how they intend to use the money so I can make an informed decision, I have no qualms about investing independently of what else they have going on financially if I like the pitch.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo