Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

54. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 15:18 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:53:
Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2014, 11:03:
I always find it kind of interesting when people "play games for the story."
Outside of a small handful, almost every game story is pretty weak and poorly presented.

In your opinion. In my opinion, quite a few games do pretty interesting stories. Interesting enough, at least, to keep my attention the first time through. If the gameplay is decent to go with it, I'll have a good time.

This is why I don't really buy games anymore that have nothing but skirmishes (sins of a solar empire, for example.) They bore me to tears after one or two games.

When I'm out just for story, I read, which I probably do as much as game these days. Books, those have stories. Video games? They have ideas that sort of form into a bit of a story.

Books have stories, yes. That doesn't make them inherently better at them than games, because there are a LOT of really, really shity stories in books.

I think the best vid games strike a balance between gameplay and story. I'm having a blast in BL2 right now which has a good overarching story and interesting characters. It keeps me playing. I have no interest in playing the Telltale BL adventure, and I would have gotten bored ages ago if BL2 had no story. Skyrim and HL2 also balance play with story.

That being said, there are plenty of games though where I just want to get in and play, and the play itself becomes the narrative: a Supreme Commander skirmish, a round in BF2 AIX, or a game of CTF in UT.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo